Does High Protein in the Eskimo Diet Cause Osteoporosis – The Renegade Health Show Episode #519

Friday Mar 5 | BY |

There was some question about the talk with Dr. J.E. Williams and the incidence of osteoporosis with eskimos…

There is conflicting information out there, so I explain a bit about if high protein in their case can cause osteoporosis.

I also talk about rotating greens (if you need to do it or not) and more!

Your question of the day: Do you rotate your greens?

Be sure to check out the products we have on closeout… click here: www.RenegadeHealth.com/closeout

1. Pamela says:

When I ate a whole lot more seaweed in smoothies made in my Vitamix, my hair grew longer and thicker. and it turned a whole lot more back to brown from gray. My friends noticed.

Minerals and iodine. That jibes with what Kevin said.

Happiness, Health, Peace and Abundance for All!

Many Blessings,
    Pamela Melcher

2. Super says:

Oh yeah rotating my greens are a must. I generally go with collards, kale, lacinato kale, chard, dandelion, and spinach because that’s what’s common in most city markets. is there a big difference between “regular” kale and Lacinato Kale?

3. Chuck says:

We do indeed. It is hard here in Maine during the winter, but we rotate through wheatgrass (we grow), lettuce, kale, spinach, collard, and others.

Thanks.

4. Sue says:

I have rotated my greens ever since I read the Victoria Boutenko’s advice to do so. Not necessarily a different green every day, but every 2 days at least. What I can get in the shops also influences how many different greens I rotate with; I’ll be growing my own greens this year, so come the summer I should have plenty of choice and be able to have a different green for every day of the week.

5. Adriana says:

Yes, I rotate my greens, but because I don’t have a strong blander, I can’t use some of them in a smoothie, therefore, I juice the harder types. I feel phenomenal since I have greens in my diet.

I’m still in the learning/experimenting process.

6. Super says:

Also there’s a book called The Mucusless diet healing system where the author Professor Arnold Ehret records accounts of his vision improving, hair color restoring, and some baldness reversing after adopting a live a mucus free diet.

Good book I recommend it to you guys.

Peace & Wisdom

Super

7. Thanks Kevin

Yes, I do rotate my greens and have written about it in my blog, from an article written by rene oswald (check out her website http://www.reneoswald.com to look it up and understand why it is necessary.

You can visit my blog http://www.rawsomegal.wordpress.com and read about my 42 day cleanse using coconut water and stevia which I completed mid-January. I have also written about my transition back to food. I continue to write about health related topics and post three times during the week. To read about my cleanse from day 1, click on December 2009. Share this with others who may be interested and I love to receive comments. You can also subscribe so you will always receive the latest posts in you email inbox.

Namaste!
    Chef Mindy aka Ageless Raw Beauty

8. Paul says:

Yes, I rotate my greens.

To me it’s natural and irresistible. Once I’ve had one type of green for a 2 – 3 days, I find myself looking for a change. Also from week to week, different greens are in better shape than others, or are more appealing, so since I look for the most robust, attractive, and maybe darkest greens, this is never the same green for more than a couple of days.

Here in Sydney, I mostly find myself having Asian greens (your names might be different) like Bok Choy, Moon Bok, Choy Sum, and others i don’t know the name of. I also like beetroot greens and carrot greens if they are in good shape, and various types of spinach, and lettuce like rocket or coral. Most of the time there is plenty of choice.

Happy Blending to all!!

9. esther says:

I eat dino kale, romaine, and wheatgrass almost every day. I eat too much kale-I know. Now my nose runs a little when I eat dino-kale…ugg =( I hate to think I’ve developed an allergic reaction to my favorite green leaf. Cest la vie!

10. Mark says:

I do rotate my greens every day. I have been blending two heads per day for the past 2 months. I usually start my week off with kale then I go to collards, green leaf lettuce, spinich, romaine, and (L) kale. My “evening smoothy” usually consists of baby spinich. Only because I make it at work before I head home, it’s much quicker for me.

~Mark

11. Gaby says:

I try to rotate my greens, and I usually use about 5-7 different ones, the most common ones: spinach, chard, parsley, cilantro, romaine… Thank You Annmarie and Kevin!!! Love You!! <3 <3 <3 Peace

12. Brian says:

I seldom rotate my greens but I should. If I do, it’s usually between kale and lettuce, and occasionally spinach. In summer, I only eat what I grow. It would seem silly to buy leafy greens when I can save 3 or 4 dollars a day.

Kale is the easiest to grow. Spinach bolts during summer so New Zealand Spinach is an option. I can only take a small quantity of chard or beet greens since they are nauseating for me.

Do you think Eskimos would be healthier if they have access to greens?

13. Patrina says:

I tend to have mixed greens each day because I prepare packets of mixed greens at the end of my greens-growing season and keep them in the freezer. Last winter (zone 9/10)I grew 3 different types of leaf lettuce, 3 different collards, 3 different kales, several asian greens, chicory, endives, german “field salad” greens, 2 different spinach types, ruby chard, italian green beets and a few others. I often add anything fresh to the blender as well, depending on what’s around outside. At the moment this is grape leaves, parsley and dandelion. So I guess I don’t really need to rotate 🙂

14. Nicole says:

I try to mix up spinach, water spinach, romaine, iceberg lettuce, chinese lettuce, and pea shoots.

Thanks for addressing the hair-loss issue. I’m in the same boat, but my thyroid was checked and is fine. I wish I knew for certain what the problem is. What test does one ask for from one’s doctor to test adrenals?

15. Nicole says:

Also: what is your opinion of guarana? My friend gave me some guarana tea and I enjoy it. Only once did I notice it made me feel a bit stimulated, but not shaky like coffee. I know guarana is used in some energy drinks and that makes me think it’s sketchy, but is it as draining on one’s system as caffeine is?

16. Sharon says:

Not really. I buy those big boxes of mixed baby greens as well as romaine. That’s about all I eat as far as greens go. At least they’re always coming in fresh.

In the summer I get chard from the farmer’s market but it’s not that great here in the winter for fresh greens so I make due with what we have rather than buying old expensive kale and chard. I use powdered barley grass too.

Hair color loss can also come from a lack of circulation in the scalp. The minerals can’t get to where they need to go. One of your interviews with Susan Smith-Jones talked about hair. She does coconut oil treatments and her hair looks fantastic.

Rose Cole did a video about how to tell if you’re low on iodine. Easy way to test without going to a doctor. Sorry I didn’t save the link but I’m sure you can find it by googling. Basically you just paint the iodine on the skin and depending on how long it takes to disappear can indicate if you’re deficient. Maybe you could mention this sometime Kevin. Thyroid/iodine is a huge problem.

17. Oh yes, I actually grew kale, mustards, arugula, dandelion, endive, romaine and parsley this season, and my garden is full of purslane, so I have lots of greens, and because I am the only one consuming them they keep growing. My hair is better since eating like 48 ounces of water from 5:45 I wake up until 8:00 when I have my green juice or smoothie for breakfast.

18. Sandy Jo says:

I tend to rotate my greens just by buying what looks the best at the store when I shop. I tend to buy several different kind of kale, collard greens, spinach and chard. Usually red chard unless rainbow chard is available. I wish, I liked romaine in my smoothies because it cheaper but it seems bitter to me. It sure is great in a salad though.

Living in a northern midwestern state, at times the selection can be limited in the winter time. When I make my smoothies I tend to combine all the greens I have in it.

19. josanne says:

I have a few suggestions to make your office more inviting: place posters of vibrant raw food on the walls; include one poster showing active people skiing/jogging, having fun. Make and hang a photo collage of interesting people you’ve interviewed or met along your travels.

Hang travel posters of destinations you and Annmarie would love to travel to someday.

Re rotating greens, I mix it up daily, adding a bit of this and a handful of that. Can’t wait til the Vitamix roadshow comes to our Costco in May; our Osterizer is limping along. Love your show, Josanne

20. Shelley says:

About Native people…they always ate the stomach and upper intestine contents= fermented greens. Whatever the animal. Seaweeds from ocean animals (and different fishes, krill etc. Grasses and seeds from land animals ie: elk, deer, bison.

21. Mila says:

I’m glad you’re addressing the issue of thinning hair. It seems to be a common problem I hear from raw foodists. I have personally gone to specialists hoping to get some answers to my on and off hair thinning. I’ve done bloodwork, checked my thyroid with a specialist, had my hormone levels tested, and the only thing that came up was low iron and low vit D… doctors had no other answers.

But I suspect it may have something to do with protein. When I incorporate some animal products into my diet (goat’s milk, boiled eggs) I do much better. As soon as I do vegan, it’s back to thinning. I should mention that I first noticed my hair thinning about 2 months into transitioning to a raw vegan diet, it’s been on and off ever since.

I took a nutrition course with Drs. Rick and Karen Dina a couple of years ago, and this question came up. Karen mentioned that she struggled with this issue at one time. She felt it was a protein connection. Who knows?

I’d love to hear more about this if anyone has info to share!

22. JulieD says:

I like spinach the best annd now ib the UP winter I but romaine and mixed herb salad greens and a bit of Kale or celery greens. Looking forward to dandelin greens again! 2 or more monhs away yet!

23. Heyward says:

@mila

from Mountainroseherbs.com

“ho shou wu, literally means “Mr. He’s Black Hair,”

my buddy derrick runs a jing bar (www.jingmasters.com) and I’ve personally witnessed one of their customer’s hair turn from white to salt and pepper. they said it was because of the ho shu wu. Couldn’t hurt to try.

24. Heyward says:

oo, just saw pamela’s comment.

like it.

25. Francheska says:

Why don’t you let someone paint a mural of fruits and vegis on the walls. If you can’t do it on the walls get some of that big wide white paper and let your kids paint them the fruits, vegis, trees,,blenders with smoothies..:)

26. Francheska says:

Hair loss: Thyroid testing isn’t very accurate. Much info is on the net about how inaccurate it can be. Some Drs realize it, but they are rare. Many raw foodists may have thyroid issues and not know it. If your eating lots of the RAW crucifer vegis that can be an issue because they are bad for the thryoid and can cause hair loss. Flouride in water and toothpaste is bad for the thyroid too because it replaces iodine in your thyroid. If someone is eating way too much sea vegis for iodine and gets hyperthyroid it too can cause hair loss.

You can find a list of goitrogenic foods on the net that are the ones that can slow your thyroid down. Kale is one of many. Peanuts and strawberries too. Cooking those foods are the only way to get lower the goitrogens sadly.

27. Klamath Lake blue green algae straightened my hair right out, turned the grey dark brown and stopped the excess hair loss!

28. Pary says:

Dear Kevin and Annmarie, for the last few RHS, I get no vedeos, but an empty box. I would love to watch the shows.

29. Willemina says:

People transitioning into the Raw Food Diet need to remember that results are NEVER an overnight type of thing.Even if you are a young and healthy specimen ,it could take several months before you “feel the juice”.
    Are you coming from a SAD,FAD,or just plain BAD diet/lifestyle? How many years has your body endured your well-intentioned,but not
    so healthy choices ?
    Kevin is correct when he says that everybody
    is different,(in terms of what works for any given individual),but there is one constant
    that will ALWAYS remain the same for one and all…………REAL RESULTS HAPPEN REAL FAST
    WITH THE 100% RAW COMMITTMENT RULE…….

100% ORGANIC
    100% RAW
    100% OF THE TIME(minimum 90-120 days)

Only if you can make it through this Raw
    Food “Boot Camp”will you experience the spiritual dynamic of the REAL benefits of
    this hard-to-put-into-words miraculous lifestyle transformation.From this position,you can then decide,with certainty, if you want to go High Raw,80-10-10,or 20%
    cooked….stay 100% Raw……whatever .You will always be experimenting with new ideas as you grow anyway….
    and who knows where it will all end up !
    Oh,and one more thing,if you do make it through the Raw Boot Camp,I guarantee you….
    YOUR HAIR WILL NOT BE THINNING !
    the Raw Boot Camp

30. Kym Hutcheon says:

Yes, I do rotate my greens and all foods, basically, just by virtue of the fact that I use whatever is available and good at the time.

I’ve had some success with the (male) hair thing so hopefully this might help some people. As with Mila above, I feel that I do better with more protein. Although I’m still only talking about around 100 g a day here. And obviously keeping stress low and getting adequate rest helps. Plus concentrated nutrition intake via smoothies and juice has to help.

The other thing I personally feel really affects hair is exercise. A few years back when I was lifting heavier weights, I noticed a sudden and large loss of hair, which I believe (personally) was down to the extra testosterone production. Now that I do more intensive funtional free weight stuff, I’ve noticed regrowth. I’ve read that this type of exercise stimulates growth hormone production, so it makes sense to me.

After that I think it is generally down to genetics. All that I can say though is that as the oldest of three brothers and the only one following this kind of nutrition and lifestyle, my hair is significantly better than my bros. FWIW.

31. Kimberly says:

Hey you guys…

You gotta get something on those walls! Hang whatever inspires you!!

32. Linda Miller says:

I eat romaine or spring mix every day but rotate what I use in smoothies, using kale, Swiss chard, and spinach. I like to use collard greens and parsley in my carrot juice.

33. Ellen from Davis says:

Hey Kevin,

Thanks for showing us your office! What if you were to find someone to paint a bunch of Van Gogh-style fruits and veggies on the walls? For the bright colors and a bit of whimsy…

With regard to your question, I’ve kind of been in a spring-mix/kale/spinach rut, just because those are the three types I find most tasty and easy to prepare (especially in the Earthbound Farms 1-lb. reusable tubs). I should branch out, so I’ll make that my March goal. Mizuna and tat soi, here I come!

34. Bridgette says:

I do rotate my greens about every 2-3 days since reading Victoria’s book.

My kids are excellent wall artists–just give them some crayons and markers and they are good to go:)

35. Koa Sky says:

I buy what’s freshest and local that day.

36. andrew says:

try Luftek natural health growth for the technique featured by a man who starred in a movie called “what if”

37. I don’t rotate my greens nearly as much as I should. Occasionally, I buy kale or swiss chard but usually buy the big tub of organic spinach.

38. Marty says:

I don’t exactly rotate my greens, but I do try not to use any green more than 5 times in one week. So between celery, kale, romaine, leaf lettuce, spinach, and some mixed greens, I try to rotate enough so that I eat any one green 5 times or less in a week. Most of my greens go into smoothies. Love your site and your show. Keep up the good work!
    Marty

39. Jessica says:

I rotate greens, I try everything I can find and grow whatever seeds I get. I try almost every plant I come across in the wild (it’s pretty safe since I identified any poisons kinds that grow in the area).

p.s. you could put one of my paintings on your office wall.

40. Suzzana says:

Aloha from Maui, I just got my garden going strong and have a huge amount of comfrey leaf that I planted for medicine and I hear it is good as a vegetable. Are there any side effects from the use of comfrey internally? Some say it is hard on the kidneys? Thanks, Suzzana

41. Alice says:

I thought I was rotating my greens and other vegetables enough. My greens consisted of romaine, spinach, mixed greens, arugula, kale,
    collards, parsley, cilantro, dandelions & wild greens from my yard.
    Imagine my surprise when my doctor did an allergy test and I found
    out I am sensitive to the following: Broccoli, califlower, lettuce, cabbage,cucumber, celery, radish, green beans, lima beans, lentils, pumpkin, cranberries, blueberries, plums, grapes,blackberries, turnips,sesame, brazil nuts, buckwheat, vanilla, yeast and gluten.

Ihave been about 95% raw for over 5 years so i’ve been eating alot of
    these things on a daily/weekly basis. I’m having a hard time now because I live in Mich. and only eat organic. The worst of it is that the foods that I can eat I can only have once every 4 days. I should probably go on a fast but my doctor doesn’t think this is a good idea.
    I’ve decided to have some cooked grains to round out my diet. I rotate cornmeal, millet, amaranth, and gluten free oats. After 3 mos. I can start trying the sensitive foods again. By then the
    farmer”s market should be open. My only symptom is a drippy, stuffy nose. Moral of the story: ROTATE! ROTATE! ROTATE!

42. Dawn says:

Hey Kevin and Annmarie!

I had a question about castor oil packs for further detoxification. Have you ever tried them? If so, what do you think about them. I also have a question about quantum balance crystals for protection against EMF waves. Have you heard of wearing this pendants for personal protection against the waves, if so, what do you think and how much validity do you think they have?
    Thank you so much Kevin, I love your blog 🙂

-Dawn

43. Lila says:

I like the old saying “what you eat today do not eat tomorrow”. Work that into favorite greens, fruits and your good to go!! I rotate greens as best I can and I eat a lot of them. I have a lot of fruit but also drink Mona Vie!!

44. Cherie says:

We never blend our romaine, we injoy eating it. We blend mostly spinach, Spinach for about 5-6 days and then do chard for a couple days.

So how much did the produce cost you?

45. Nancy Zare says:

Yes, I rotate my greens. I heard Victoria Bothenko speak and she inspired me to begin adding green smoothies to my diet. She mentioned that each green is toxic after a time period and recommended that they be rotated. Rotation can be weekly. So while I’m a big fan of kale, I’ll skip a couple of days deliberately. I do this with all greens.

46. Brittni says:

I eat a bunch of different types of greens..

‘Salad greens’
    Baby greens (big box, prewashed from the store)
    Romaine, curly leaf, red leaf.. and those are just the ones I know the names of..

winter greens:
    Curly Kale, Dino Kale, Red Kale, Some odd looking kale I don’t know the name of.. & Green Chard, Red Chard, Yellow Chard..

(kale in the summer is horrible… in my opinion.. so I normally ‘eat the heck out of it’ in the winter. and avoid it all together in the summer.. chard gets a stronger taste also..)

I have yet to like spinach.. I hate the feeling it leaves on my teeth..

this summer I am going to try some of the ‘weed greens’ dandelion, purslane, lambsquarters. ect.. I also take nettles in a powdered form.. (still too scare to juice them..) and also took horsetail in a powdered form for awhile.

======

I never worry about rotating.. because I always know when I should stop eating one type.

for instance, when I was juicing romaine lettuce, carrots, green apple & celery.. just about everyday for a month.. I could no longer eat romaine. it smelt bad. tasted bad… looked bad..

and then another time when I was making dino kale green smoothies.. just about every day for quite awhile.. I got to the point where I could no longer stand dino kale.. hated it. couldn’t eat it.. couldn’t LOOK AT IT!

but… a month (or a few months later..) I could eat both! and both once again tasted SUPER yummy! (the romaine lettuce took longer to get yummy again.. as I was ‘forcing’ it down even though it didn’t taste good)

so I don’t stress it when I don’t like one type of green for awhile..
    I know its just my body telling me to stop eating that type. (most people freak out.. and think that they, for some reason, don’t like greens anymore. and so they force feed themselves.. I think this is where you can encounter a problem)

at the moment only 1 type of kale isn’t appealing and 1 type of lettuce. but I know its just because I’ve eaten my share of it. and its time to move onto other greens :-D.. and I have peace, because I know that within a month or so I will once again like that type again.

~Brittni

47. Andrew Norris says:

hey kev and ppl. two great new stories i just heard of in my paper (of all sources!) one is the ultra violet light can increase nutrients of vegetables AFTER they are picked. another is a guy called Li Sanju from China, who eats NOTHING but “grass” and weeds, and claims to have cured himself of all his aliments etc. maybe an interview with this guy? i assume it must be wheatgrass.. the paper made it sound like plane garden grass!

any one else know anything of these two stories ?

48. Andrew Norris says:

of yeah i also read a great story on which diets work best. scientists say they have narrowed down the genes. basically some ppl with some genes lose weight better with atkins and some ppl with other genes lose weight better with low fat high carb. confirms the macro nutrient diet. these are only initial findings though, but makes sense 🙂

49. Leam says:

Favorite greens: spinach, chard, beet greens, any variety red leafy lettuce. It seems I’m quite partial to greens with a little red. I eat all of these all of the time so I don’t know if that counts for rotating or just a little variety.

Speaking of greens, that’s what’s needed on your walls…something green.

50. tim says:

Absolutely eating the same thing can become a drag

51. Stephanie says:

I work to eat different types of greens. My co-op gets amazing varieties of lettuce. I work to include chard and kale and collard and spinach depending on how they look. I love chard and spinach for green smoothies. My dogs love dandelion greens mixed into their food!

I lost hair when I initially went raw – a patch of it right on top of my head. After continuing to learn about raw and refining my raw eating, it has all grown back. I do have a weird “Alfalfa”-like patch of short hair that sticks straight up on top of my head, but I’m okay with that. I have started supplementing my b12 about once a week, too.

I have read that hair growth is low on the body’s totem pole of needs, so if you’re dealing with a lifetime of toxins being removed as you go raw, your body could divert needed resources elsewhere and you could lose hair. But I also like Kevin’s suggestion to make sure the “big 3” aren’t the culprit, too.

52. Beth says:

I try to rotate my greens, but I do have my favourites. Also, it depends what is on sale each week. Sometimes I go back and forth between spinach and arugula before (they are on sale most) and then splurge for the kale and swiss chard.

53. jason says:

Esther,

According to Boutenko, Rene Oswald, and others, you aren’t having an allergic reaction to dino kale. Rather, it’s possible that you have ingested too much of the alkaloid (plant defense mechanism/toxin/poison/medicine depending on who you talk to) found in dino kale. I believe they say that if you lay off it for a while, you should be able to re-introduce it later.

54. suzanne says:

You mention eating 1 or 2 heads of romaine a day. What do you do on the road because organic is not always available? Do you go ahead and eat non-organic? I really would like an answer to this, pretty please. I keep asking this question. Maybe I missed an answer.

55. Lyndel says:

Try painting the walls a soft green to bring the outside in. Colour will affect your mood. Also find a local Rudolph Steiner school and see if they have any students that would like to paint a nature scene on your wall. That’s the sort of thing the kids at these schools do for muck up days. Or get in touch with your own internal creative forces.
    Good Luck.

56. Tressey says:

Yes I rotate my greens. I like variety, plus I receive a great deal of greens in my CSA and need to use it up. By the way, I also get a great deal of potatoes in my CSA box, any living/fresh ways to use them?

57. Vickie says:

Hi Kevin and Ann Marie! I am 59 year old female and in the best shape I have ever been in. I eat high raw and work out 4-6 times a week. I watch your shows daily (over a year now) and appreciate the information that you present to all of us. A day with out Renegade Health show is a day I feel I have missed something. I used to get the link for your shows, but for some reason I don’t anymore. I have to go to your site and watch. The daily reminders were great and I have to admit I sometimes miss your shows because I don’t get the daily link. Anyway, keep up the terrific work and know that you are truly appreciated! BTW- I have been overweight my entire adult life. I have worked toward weight loss my entire adult life too. I have only been succesful and truly feel that it will stay off since I have gone high raw, which has been the last year and a half (lost about 60 lbs). Total weight loss on my journey has been 112 lbs. I can’t even believe that the pictures from the past are me and how in the heck did I get that way! Emotional eating and taking care of everyone else but me (husband and kids).I am sharing my knowledge with them. Well I now look after me and feel great and love life. I am now single and my kids are grown. I share my knowledge with them. Thank you so much for your inspiration. I truly listen to all you and Ann Marie say. Have a wonderful day Kevin and Ann Marie…you both are AWESOME! ~~Vickie~~

58. Manwel says:

What’s wrong with eating raw fish (eg wild salmon marinated in fresh lemon juice)? Raw egg yolk, high in B12 and selenium, also has health benefits. Kevin, can you please address this topic? The Eskimos never had health issues (inc osteoporosis) prior to the introduction of Western foods and cooking.