Does Blending Destroy 90% of the Nutrients in Your Smoothie – The Renegade Health Show Episode #514

Friday Feb 26 | BY |

Here’s the answer to the biggest question of the week…

“Does blending destroy 90% of the nutrients in your smoothie?”

Today, I address this question as well as if you can be healthy without algae and can you use just plain old ocean water to grow plants?

BTW: Before I get to the show, Annmarie wants to tell you that her complete line of skin care package is going to increase in price after this weekend. Right now you get the entire line for $199.95. After this weekend, the price goes up to $225.95 (which was the original price, the $199.95 was an introductory price for the products!). If you want to get it at this great deal now, be sure to do it before Monday.

Here’s where to go to get it: Click Here

(If you spend over $205 in the store (not including shipping), we’ll also send you a free shea butter!)

Here’s the show…

Your question of the day: What was your favorite episode from the last 2 weeks?

Be sure to check out OceanGrown Solution as well. We’ve still giving out a free “How to Grow Wheatgrass” Booklet with purchase (as long as supplies last… only a couple of dozen more!)… click here!

1. Well said, I agree it’s much better to not challenge anyone being interviewed …

I don’t see how blending could deteriorate nutrients … blending is basically the same thing as chewing.

2. taylor says:

90% nutrients destroyed by blending? hahaha, that’s the silliest thing I’ve ever heard.

That’s like saying “Don’t chew your food! you’ll destroy the nutrients!”

3. Barbara S says:

I think one thing that you may not realize when you talk about blended food being okay, is that many people eat their vegetables in ONLY blended form, which even you will have to admit, is not the best choice. Yes, it’s much better than eating junk food garbage, and is a great transitional step, but it’s not as good as eating fresh, unblended vegetables in a salad. A simple explanation about this once in a while would be really helpful to people who rely on you for all their health information and need to know that blended vegetables should be eaten in addition to unblended ones. As Woody Harrelson says, “You’ve got to love a salad.”

4. Elena says:

I, too, agree that it makes sense that you are a neutral interviewer for the sake of clear communication during the interview. It is wonderful that you interview such a wide variety of folks. I really appreciate the spectrum of information that is shared, even when I don’t fully resonate with every single thing said.

At some point, perhaps, you will have 2 or more people in the same vicinity who would be willing to debate their opposing points of view. Yet, that still might simply lead into defensive communication styles rather than being as harmonious a conveyance of information as possible.

I enjoyed your episode on how to get more minerals into your food.
    Thanks for all that you do.

You looked so vibrant in this episode, by the way. 😉

Wish I was in Florida getting to see the 2 of you, and experiencing kinder, gentler weather. 😉

Elena from Western Massachusetts

5. Donna says:

Kevin, today’s episode is my favorite from the last two weeks! But, if this one isn’t supposed to count, then I would have to say the first interview segment with Dr. Clement would be my favorite. Although I found it confusing, it did make me start researching his theory, and although I don’t necessarily agree with most of what he said, I am more open to his opinions. So, it made me learn something. Oh, and I do intend to purchase some algae very soon.

Thanks for answering my question in this vid. You look amazing, by the way. Your skin is radiant. Where have you been hiding Annmarie?

6. Lori says:

why would you think blending would destroy 90% of nutrients. That would like saying you chewing the food depletes it. If anything it would emplode the nutrients (as long as you drink it when you make it.)

7. Bryan Dorman says:

Definitely the shows about Ocean Grown. The information is not only extremely useful but absolutely fascinating. Possibly the most important thing I have learned in the last year. Keep up the great work you two!

8. Jane says:

This one – it’s surely best that we find exactly what works for us as individuals
    And you are so smart not to confront interviewees — positive always works a bunch better than negative.

Thanks for all y9ur hard work and great shows

9. Patty says:

When you answer the questions, are you simply giving your gut-feel opinion or have you a resource of researched information that you draw from? I get the feeling that there really isn’t a lot of validated information out there: very few clinical studies or published data … guess that’ll come in time, hopefully.

10. Kathryn says:

I like that you allow your guests to present their opinions without creating an argument. It is rude to ask someone to be on you show and spend the time challenging them instead of listening. I love that you let them talk and express a view. I’m enough of a thinking person to filter the info and research that which makes me go hmmmm.

My favorite episode was Annmarie’s demo on sprouting. I know how, but I have not had my jar out for awhile (a little sprout burn out). Watching her I became hungry for sprouts again and got the jar out. 🙂

11. anna says:

Well, the argument of that is problably the heat that comes while blending…not that I will care about that…because I just bought a new blender :). Kevin and Ann-marie thank you for a great work. Keep on inspiring!

12. Stephanie says:

gotta say – some of the more candid comments from mr. oceangrown top my list. you could tell he was pretty passionate. favorite moment was when he was talking about the blind toxicity test manager freaking out on how pure the product was.

other favorite moment – vitamix recently used for green drink blending! now that’s community – seeing your experience reflected in that of others, gooped-up blender or no! honesty, kids. y’all are the greatest! have a great weekend.

13. Kristine says:

My favorite was Rene’s show. I liked her pragmatic, but enthusiastic approach to raw food prep. So I now know another go-to person for info! Thank you.

14. brian says:

It is claimed that fast and short blending causes less heat and oxidative damage than slow and longer blending. A vacuum pump like “pump n’ seal” can be used to suck the air from the jar and increase the shelf life. It costs about $30 and can be used to preserve many other foods including zip-loc.

When I use sea water, I dilute it 17 times. They are certainly better than chemical fertilizers.

15. Mike Pacione says:

wow! I love your energy! This video episode was very empowering! It is all about what resonates with you… thank you so much Kevin and Anne-marie (and the team) for doing what you do!

My favourite episode was Brian Clements 3 Essentials. Its very straight forward, simple, and effective!

Much love from Toronto Canada
    Mike Pacione

16. david says:

About scientific studies being inconsistent, typically if you compare the studies *yourself*, instead of reading someone else’s synopsis, you will find that (again, typically) they aren’t actually in conflict. Instead, you will typically find that they tested somewhat different hypothesis, tested against different populations, used different testing techniques, made different assumptions, etc.

It really bothers me when someone just writes off science like you did in this show. Though I do agree with you about tailoring things personally. A blatant medical example of this is how some people react to stimulants as though they were sedatives. We are freaky, man!

And yes, some studies have a bias. From one perspective, it is impossible to run a study without bias. But if you read the study, including what organizations the researchers are associated with, and who funded the study, you can factor in a “bias compensation”. Grain of salt and all…

17. Jackie says:

The episode on sprouting at home. I wish you would do a whole week or a whole month on sprouting. Or 1 day a week every week,and have guests and show equipment.

18. Annette and Avery says:

Question, how do we know that blood tests really reflect an accurate baseline, since in the past such things as vitamin requirements have been found incorrect?

19. Leam says:

I enjoyed this particular show very much. I also found the interview with Brian Clement interesting. I knew a couple ladies that would make yearly trips to Hippocrates but I wasn’t so familiar with his point of view. Thanks for bringing us such great info as well as having a place to share our viewpoints…when they are respectful and with dignity they can be quite insightful. So, then, thanks to everyone else who leaves comments.

20. Don says:

If you are worried about oxidation add some vitamin c power

21. Lori says:

I agree that these shows when you answer many of the “questions of the week” are among my favorite – so happy you do it! Many of us share the concerns stated by one or two “comments” and I’m always so pleased that you do provide thoughtful and smart replies. And the one thing that you have taught us is to do our own research and figure out what works for us. I’ve been on this “healthy” path for many, many years now, I do have something to compare you/this show to! I’ve done lots of research, read the books, heard the speakers/lectures, done my own experiments (and yes, sometimes it takes years!)so I’m happy to report to everyone here that Kevin knows! He’s on the right path and doing it the right way! And I agree, you have the best audience too!

22. Cindy says:

Today was my favorite! Thank you! I thought it was great to get some insight on blending. Common sense always comes first! Oh and what is a good vitamin b12 supplement? One that won’t break the already broken bank? lol 😀

23. Oksana says:

Great job!…You look fresh and radiant.
    You’ve got an excellent approach. Finally someone acknowledges that there is no “one divine truth” 😀 Keep learning and sharing – way to go!

24. Lori says:

PS – I remember the Hippocrates Institute when it was started in Boston run by Dr. Ann – she was one of my all-time favorite inspirations – I still have one of the books that started it all for me “Be Your Own Doctor.” I still believe in and follow some of her basic information.

25. pat says:

I believe your speaker said that studies were done at MIT on the impact of blending on intact nutrient availability (vs time) following blending. Rather than internally debate, trade opinions, I would suggest asking for a summary, a copy (or citations)of these studies to find out what the experimental design and findings were.

26. Stephan says:

Hello!
    Thanks Kevin for getting us information and addressing our questions.

I wonder if we can find out from him the basis for thinking 90 percent of nutrients are destroyed in blending.

The search continues!!!

P.S. I’ve currently adopted a half raw/half McDonalds diet. I figure it all evens out until I know what totally works. LOLOL.

27. Sherri says:

My favorite show was on sprouting. I’ve been wanting to do that and Annmarie made it clear and simple. Thanks!

28. kathy says:

Yeah, people get defensive when they are lying!!!!!

29. earthstar says:

My favourite was the interview you did with John Hartman about OceanGrown. I would love for you to interview Dan Carlson of Sonic Bloom, and for you to test his sounds system with your mini-garden. How about it?

I was interested in what Brian Clements had to say, but not convinced. When my husband was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid, he refused medication and went for an increased consumption of seaweed and a huge daily jug of green smoothie including lots of fruit, lots of home grown and wild greens and maca. He just had more blood tests, 6 months on, and the doctor congratulated him on his now normal thyroid!

Really appreciate the show.

30. Heyward says:

“What is absolute law? Your own experience. You know it. Run your blood tests.”

Best. Advice. Ever.

31. Heyward says:

Favorite episode? This one. Because of that awesome soundbite, and because your energy and enthusiasm is genuinely high. You look like you’re firing on all 6 cylinders!

32. Tamikko says:

I loved the ones with the coconuts but I think that was over 2 weeks ago, so I’d say this one is my fave.
    How hot is it in your trailer? at the end of the video I noticed, over your right shoulder, you could see the wall appear to move as if intense heat were in there. OUCH!
    and
    I didn’t get to comment on the little pots in the trailer. I think herbs are your best bet.
    Thanks for another great vid.

33. Dawni says:

Hi Kevin…

I love this episode! My son called after the first 90 seconds of this episode and he said wow, Mom your energy is great. I told, he caught me with a goofy smile on my face. Kevin is on pause…I said you Kev from Renegade Health — the guy I send you videos of who is so much like you with his high energy. My son said, “oh yeah”. I hear the effect in your voice, cool”

Anyway, to answer your question…

The saloup episode and the recent vid on sprouting in your RV are top on my list.

I loved the ‘Do it Yourself’ segment for making your own screen lids, and how you incorporated the Ocean product as a rinse for the sprouts. It was a practical segment to include in a week where we were getting first hand information from the product creators.

What’s nice about all of the solutions you create for your RV is that they translate well for me — who travels a great deal and sets up temporary house in the smallest of places. I am packing my sprouting jar on this trip, I am so inspired.

My Tribest Personal Blender will have a bit of company…

Dawni :0

34. Kevin, I love your approach so much. You are awesome for not challenging those you interview. It makes so much more sense to just let them tell their story, their beliefs and ways of thinking. You get so much more information out of them by just discussing their way of thinking. It’s great. There are lots of different opinions out there, and it’s great to hear all of them, and take what we think is right for us from each interview. There will always be parts we’re not sure we agree with, and that’s where we can research more and make our own decisions.

35. Usha Sunrise says:

Oh my Goddess I have missed my daily Renegade Health Show fix! : ) Have been in Denmark, and was unable to watch. Just now watched this episode, and I do not believe 90% of the nutrients are destroyed by blending. You may lose some, but I think it’s an excellent way of getting in your greens! Compared to cooking your food, I think blending is much healthier, and much tastier!

My favorite show of the last two weeks? Well, as stated, I haven’t seen them all, but I did love #508, because you answered my questions directly in that one. ; )

36. Kaye says:

This show is definitely my favorite. I love your “everything is gonna be O.K.” attitude. I like your open-mindedness and the ability to communicate with your viewers that we each need to find out what works for our individual selves. I agree with not confronting the people you interview. Your simply taking their knowledge and experience and letting us do with it what we please. Plus, its’ just respectful to allow the other person their own point of view, you can quietly agree or disagree to yourself, and appreciate anything you are able to take away from that person’s experiences.
    Thanks again ~ You Made my Friday even Better!!

37. Sharon says:

I liked the Brian Clement interviews. We need to remember that blending does not equal chewing. Chewing stimulates enzymes to form in the mouth and constant smoothie drinking instead of chewing is not healthy because you will not get enough enzymes to break down the food.

I need to watch the sprouting one from yesterday. I might change my mind!

38. Sophia says:

My favorite show from this week is 509- about the 3 essential raw foods. I believe Brian and I am excited to be incorporating those more to become healthier!!!!

I also liked the how-to sprout video because like you said in the email it started a “revolution” which I agree and got people re-interested and excited about it! Way to go!

39. Eva says:

I love that passion keeps people motivated but if I am to seek advise I would consider what the person gains as a benefit from the advise. I imagine Dr Clement as having a lot to lose such as his reputation and business and all the lives he turns around if he gives incorrect advise. He doesn’t sell juicers or blenders just researches the treatment for very sick people. If you love your vita mix then blend on and get tested and keep an open mind to other views. I find the blended mush to be very unappealing but green juice to be attractive so I guess I am voting with My body. My favorite shows were both with Brian. We all have such a stubborn streak when it come to giving up habits. It’s great that you give people a place to hold on to there “smushy” and take responsibility for getting their blood tested. Green On, Kevin!
    How bout a visit to Dr.T.Colin Campbell?

40. Alyssia says:

Successful chickens are coming your way.
    Successful chickens are here to stay.

41. Greg says:

I liked all the information on oceansolution. I just got mine in the mail today. Spoke with the guys from the company on the phone and picked up a bunch of helpful tips. Good product. Hey, you should tell the guys that are growning all the ingredients (plants) for ormus greens powder about oceansolutions. They may be interested. Just a thought. Thanks again.

42. Jo Smith says:

I liked the episode where you climbed up in a tree to cut down some coconuts. Also talking about how to open the different types of coconuts, what they were for, etc. The sprouting episode was fun, but it was a bit depressing when I actually got to a store that sold sprouting supplies. Maybe some day that will all come together. 😀

43. Kevin! I totally agree that was one of your best episodes. Simple, but very truthful. There is no 1 true answer. Everybody’s reality is so different from each others and there are so many variables to each of our lives that what is true for one isn’t necessarily true for another one.

I believe our needs are not all the same yet sharing nearly the same DNA as everyone else. To compare humans to animals in trying to explain that there is one human diet best for all is kind of crazy because we all live, eat, breathe, interact with our world in SUCH a different way. Our stress levels are different, different parents, different activity levels, nutrient stores, and just generally different stages of organ, mind, biochemistry, and spiritual health. That’s why all the different tests and studies can come up with completely opposite results. There are no 2 people alike.

Animals of the same species eat the same food because they all virtually live the same life. Eating, sleeping, mating…

Great episode and great energy today!!
    Keep up the great work!
    I’m really loving this new level of community interaction.

Much love and support,

Jordan

44. Ellie says:

The show I enjoyed the most from the past 2 weeks had to be the information you presented on OceanGrown and that product. I am a new gardener and I had heard about this idea in the past,but now that there is a product that will assist in the health of what I grow, I bought it immediately from your website.
    Thanks!

45. June says:

Hi Kevin,

By the way, I love your show and you and Ann are a very cute couple.

For Jack (husband) and I, blending save his life. In June jack has got a stent on and still had 2 arteries with 70% blockage.

He was taking in plavix, lipitor etc, etc., was depressed all the time, had cramps in the legs, was loosing his memory… in a few words, he didn’t want to live if that was the price he has to pay for it.

Talking with my Chiropractor, y suggested me a naturopath he knew and trust (september 09).

We met her, and one of her recommendations was to drink, at least a quart of green smoothie a day. We decide to give it a try.
    We like it so much, that sometimes we can drink easy a gallon each.

He went to for a doctor check up, at the end of november, his doctor was scratching his head, because all his test were PERFECT!! he went to look for all the tests, when Jack was in ER, and he couldn’t believe!

But the best part is when my husband told him that he wasn’t taking those pills anymore. The doctor’s answer: Well,continue doing it… it works for you, I’m amazed!

For us we love blending. We were overweight and lost 32lbs each. That’s GREAT!!

We eat around 70-75% raw.

Big hug,

june

46. I’m with you Kevin…how can 90% of the nutrients be destroyed in blending but not in juicing…I think there is a side taking dogmatic view of this when people say one or the other…I’m sure they’re both great and I know green smoothies will at least help with digestion because of the fiber and the chlorophyll is great! That’s 2 wins in my book

47. Hi Kevin

Thanks, as always for your great energy and good insights. I liked seeing Renee in her kitchen (since I know her personally). I also like the interview with Ocean Grown company.

You can visit my blog http://www.rawsomegal.wordpress.com and read about my 42 day cleanse using coconut water and stevia which I completed mid-January. I have also written about my transition back to food. I continue to write about health related topics and post daily (off on weekends). To read about my cleanse from day 1, click on December 2009. Share this with others who may be interested and I love to receive comments. You can also subscribe so you will always receive the latest posts in you email inbox.

Namaste!
    Chef Mindy aka Ageless Raw Beauty

48. Kat says:

This one! Great energy, great answers, common sense. Loved it. Thanks, Kevin.

49. Sue says:

The show about Ocean Grown I think is my favourite. I’ve got packets of seeds, bags of compost and lots of pots and containers at the ready to grow my own veg this year and have been dying to know what I can do to enrich the soil. This has answered my question – thanks.

50. Susan says:

My favorites are In the Kitchen with Rene Oswald and RV Gardening a.k.a. sprouting.

Smile

51. Alexander says:

I liked the episode #510 and 509

52. esther says:

Dr. Clement is always a pleasure to listen to and learn from!

Thanks!

53. Ineke says:

Brian’s interviews HANDS DOWN. I have first hand experience with the Hippocrates program and I only can say that this institute deserves to carry the name “Hippocrates” My husband underwent a life changing experience and thanks to this program he is doing so well. We are following the program as close as possible and I only can say that I’m benefitting from it as well. Please do not forget that they have first class medical staff on board as well and that the living foods are just one component of the whole experience. Like Brian pointed out before he even mentioned the word “food” It all starts in your mind. If you don’t have a positive attitude, it is very unlikely that you will have the strength to make dietary changes as well. I also would like to remind people that the Hippocrates institute has been around for 50 years and attracts people from all over the world. They do understand that their program requires major commitment from the guest’s side and that it is not easy for everyone to implement. In one of his books “life force” Brian clearly explains different ways how people (unless they are really sick) can implement various aspects of this program. He also said clearly not to get obsessed about “stuff” like blending etc. He just gave an honest response to Kevin’s question what he thought about blending after being asked. Coming from a European tradition, where gastronomy is an important part of society, I found him very forgiving and we find it getting easier as time goes by to implement his 3 principles. I would add the wheatgrass to it as well.

54. josanne says:

I love most of your shows and always look forward to the topic of the day so I can keep on learning! During the last 2 weeks I appreciated your interviews with Brian Clement, the cooking demo with Rene Oswald and your sprouting episode.

I had a chance to hear several of Dr Clements presentations from the Vibrant Living Expo and have a lot of respect for his knowledge about how the body works and how to use raw foods to heal. I notice that despite his views on blended foods Hippocrates sells the Vitamix on its web page!

Question: can we get all our enzymes from live foods like sprouts and raw food, or is enzyme supplementation necessary?

55. Donna says:

Will you please show how to ferment veggies?

56. Jean says:

Kevin, thank you thank you thank you for not being a dogma zealot, for letting your guests speak their minds and for your continued acknowledgment of our body/person differences. My favorite show from these last two weeks are “shows” — coconuts, Dr. Clement, Oceangrown, sprouts and this one! For those folks who know about Life Extension Foundation, members or the immediate family of members can get blood work done at pretty good prices. Non-members can also participate but it is more costly. They have yearly specials on blood work as well.

57. Jen says:

I would think actually… that blending food would make it even more “bioavailable” to the body!
    But I definitely agree with the above poster that said we should blend AND eat these fresh in salads etc 🙂
    A really good book where this is discussed in depth is Victoria Boutenko’s Green for Life.

58. Ronald says:

Today’s show was the best,You treat your guess with respect. Like always a job well done. Thank you for all the information you get from everyone.

59. john says:

I liked very much Doctor Clement as well as Doctor Young ,and John Hartman from Ocean grown. As for nutrient loss I believe just based off logical reasoning if something is blended in a BIG container and the longer a container sits with juice/juice pulp inside then their would be for certain a higher loss of nutrient/ vitality lost. -So to circumvent this nutrient loss instead of buying the BIG blend container buy one that is SMALL so when you fill it up with your greens their is as little oxygen as possible inside the container with your vegetables/fruit. Next turn on your BLEND TECH which is by far faster and far more efficient than the vita-mix blender ,in seconds your vegetable smoothie is done and not heated so no loss of enzymes.Next step ,as Doctor Norman Walker says and Doctor Richard Schultz drink within 10-15 minutes. This Applies to Blending or Juicing. Another consideration to ponder regarding nutrient loss in food.In BIBLE times various kinds of juices,wines,grapes,pomegranate,etc. were made, this was generally done by squashing on by peoples feet or a churning stone or by other UNmodern day contraption.And probably by the time it came to market or to the maker for that matter after clean up time, the juices propensity of being oxidized is probably at a much higher level ,I believe . So When Dr.Clement says a 90% loss of nutrients(I do not know how he meant that) when doing a very brief interview and covering a variety of subject matter .I Like to give him the benefit of the doubt to give him a chance to further explain how he means this ,based on his findings and research .It could be what he meant was a 90% loss of nutrient over” X “amount of time. In which he would likely be correct. I have the most profound respect for Dr.Clement and Dr.Young. Thank you ,Kevin and Ann Marie

60. Melissa Trias says:

My favorite episodes were the Hippocrates interviews.

61. RJ says:

This episode is fantastic!

I noticed the background “vertical line” on this episode was waving to and fro as you spoke, Kevin. I wondered why, so I googled ~~ background video camera waviness…and such, I found nothing to answer my question.

What is the reason for the wavy “vertical” background today? Please share with us the camera you and Annmarie use for filming.

Could it be the that the energy of our “Kale Whale” was finally captured on film?
    🙂

62. At 74, with a schedule that keeps me working until 6 a.m., resting to get my 5 1/2 hours of REM time, to prepare for my free SAVE YOUR LIFE 21 Day schedule based on Dr. Ann Wigmore’s REAL Boston Hippocrates Institute and her Rincon, Puerto Rico’s Instituto de Ann Wigmore, her Easiest to Digest Living Foods Program’s blended energy soup is the only thing I need to keep my tests coming back perfect, my energy level dynamic and my head clear to write grants, teach English to Haitian immigrants and Spanish speaking farm workers, and go from one after school program to another each day to be a Reading Specialist to 63 children. Working with, learning from and teaching people like Drs. T. Colin Campbell, Caldwell Esselstyn, and John McDougall, I’ve learned the science; they are moving towards raw and living because they see how I am. Blenders with ceramic blades are being tested now in China for us at http://www.rawdoctors.com. The exposure to metal is at the bottom of one problem with oxidation. I do not recommend blending fatty foods like avocado because it causes the fat molecules to be broken down in the same way that 1% milk causes problems. Fractionated fats are deadly. Dice the fats. Making almond cream from soaked almonds is a different story. All blended and juiced foods need to be eaten immediately and never stored. Monday, we at http://www.rawdoctors.com are beginning a FREE 21 day SAVE YOUR LIFE program giving Dr. Wigmore’s Living Food method. We will answer any questions. Come in!

63. P.S. I gave my vitamix away because it was killing the chi in my food. It heated it too much. The old blenders that show up at Goodwill Stores for $4 are the one’s to use! The only thing I do with a juicer is make pineapple juice to chugalug on an empty stomach because the bromelain enzymes dissolve fat and cholesterol and when it’s 40 in FL, it’s hard for me not to eat too much avo! or seed and nut cheeses! I home ripen the pineapples by sticking the tines of a fork in the stem end to make holes, put them in a saucer of distilled water treated with a tablespoon of dulse leaf blended into it, in the direct sun for a couple or a few days until they are yellow and juice them! Yum. Then I rub the pulp all over my body in the tub and rinse 10 min. later for silky skin.

64. Sarah says:

Ocean Grown~ well, all of them really! And thanks to all of the viewers’ comments! I love reading and learning 🙂

65. Ladan says:

My favorite is the sprout video..i love the in the kitchen videos where ur showing hands on how to make or do something..oh and by the way Kevin, you’re looking alot healthier these days(not that u didnt look good before) but i’v noticed a difference..maybe its the B12 shots :)..Great work u guys.

66. Beto says:

The coolest think I saw or read was Dr. Flora’s post just above this one. The imagery of it made me chuckle. Wild, interesting. Gotta love it!

67. jackie says:

Ha! I don’t remember what all the episodes were for the past 2 weeks, but I sure loved this one! And I liked the coconut episodes, too. All this time I’ve been using other approaches to cracking that nut and your technique was the easiest for me to use! Kevin, you are awesome. I love getting well-balanced information, which is what you strive to provide.

68. wendy green says:

awesome as usual! hey you look like gabriel the arch angel….so curly and angelic! sending a link to a fruit farm that just went up for sale…mountain side (not vertical)…waterfront,
    waterfall views….think it has you name on it.

finca angel! smile

69. jackie says:

Yikes! Did I do something bad to the site?? The sentences are all crossed out now.

70. Steph says:

Question: I’ve been looking to supplement with sulphur for stronger, healthier skin. Do you know about the benefits of MSM vs. angstrom sulphur? Is one better than the other? And do you know what the least processed/most whole food sources of sulphur are out there? Thanks!

71. The shows from the last two weeks have all been interesting, and timely for me, so I can’t choose. They have all been so useful. So I guess that my favorite episode would have to be today’s, because you did a good recap and addressed most of the areas that I have been wondering about.

I just bought a new Vita Mix last week and so when Dr. Clement’s interview came on, I wondered if I had done the right thing. However, I decided to go ahead with the blending as well as juicing because I cannot digest raw veggies very well. I tend to have vomiting and severe stomach cramps when I just eat plain raw veggies, and I can’t believe that this is good for me. Blending, in addition to juicing and fermenting are giving my diet some much needed balance that has been missing, and already I can see and feel a difference. I guess I will go ahead and proceed to blend even though there is some question about it. Glad you talked about this.

Thanks for the info about Direct Labs. This sounds like a great tool and I am glad to know about it.

Looking forward to the next two weeks!

72. Theresa says:

Thanks Kevin. I appreciate this show (514). All the conflicting information at times leaves me feeling drained and or uncertain as to whether or not I am doing the ‘right’ thing(s). I feel empowered again, thanks to your little pep talk, to continue doing what feels right and beneficial for me. Thanks for helping us discern the blending issue. With gratitude, Theresa

73. Satori says:

How to Sprout in a Jar (If We Can Do It, So Can You!) – The Renegade Health Show Episode #512

LOVED IT!

74. Renee says:

Although this is not an answer to your question, I just wanted to say that I love your show because you don’t claim to have all the answers. You present a variety of opinions and encourage people to find their own best path.

I believe keeping your interviews diverse offers the greatest benefit to everyone and we should all be open to learning all the time!

Keep up the great work!

75. Irlanda Borquez says:

Hi Kevin, I have to say, my favorite episode was the one on sprouting, but I have a comment about it, I read somewhere that seeds only need moisture to sprout because they have all the nutrition required to sustain the little plant for some time, and I would say maybe is a waste of money to use the Ocean product to soak and rinse the seeds. However, I found a book called microgreens which I really recomend to you, which is about making the sprouts using trays with some organic potting mix and I think we can have the most benefit of the Ocean product there. I personally sprout in jars, make the microgreens and have my vegetable garden and I love all that variety. I have to try the Ocean product for my garden because I’m planning to apply the forest garden concept that I saw in one of your episodes to. This show is amazing. And really look for the microgreens now that you are building your little garden in the rv, they are cheap, and they are so easy to grow. And keep up the good work.

76. patricia says:

My favorite episode was the one on sprouting, how about one on wheatgrass growing also. About the business of 90% nutritional value lost and scientific proof – I think we should all take this as a warning, a word of caution, maybe the number could go this high, the thing is that there are so many variables involved, we should do our best to stack as many of the them as we can in our favor to keep this % down. Also because of so many variables I don’t know how relevant any research might even be. I’m talking about things like: what blender (vitamix, blendtec, or the midnight special sale at the local discount store), what speed (revs per unit time), how long did it run (did it do the job in a single run or did it run, rest, go again), how much heat gets generated, how sharp are those blades? How about the foods we blend, what are they, in what proportions and order, are they all organic, some organic, did we just pick them from the garden or were they picked green and shipped long distances and stored maybe for weeks before we bought them and stored again by us. We need to learn how much we use and how to shop because we deserve better than those bendable carrots and mushy apples that will bring that % closer to 90 fast. How fast was that blended food served and consumed. From reading the comments I’m afraid some people tend to gulp it all down in an attempt to get it in before it oxidizes further, it’s important to chew your blended foods and also your juices, you want to mix it with saliva first so you get a proper start to good digestion. Gulping can give your stomach quite a shock, especially if the food is on the cold side.
    At any rate I think that if we are aware, we can have a big effect on the amount of nutritional value that is kept or lost in blending. For me, I love my green smoothies and one of my intentions for this year is to make my smoothies “greener”. I also juice and recognize the value of juicing. Do I feel a difference in my health? Absolutely! So I guess the old saying “The proof is in the pudding” does have some truth to it. May all your puddings be blended, green and raw.
    Best luck to all.

77. Amy says:

I loved the show about Oceangrown product. I ordered some and can’t wait to use it on my garden. I am excited to have super nutritious organic produce all summer long, and am hoping to create a small green house where I can grow my greens all winter next year as well.

Blessings!
    Amy

78. I wish you could send me links of your episodes every day instead of 5 of them once a week. It’s harder to find 50 min to watch them instead of 10 min everyday. Otherwise I forget to find your website on my own everyday. I’d like to say, that I didn’t watch your episodes for 2 weeks and this one is my favorite one, because your hair grew longer and you look very cute with them! Please, keep growing your hair!I hope to find some time over weekend to watch other episodes.

79. Nihacc says:

The sprouting episode was a great show!

80. jason says:

I agree that you shouldn’t challenge your interviewees on camera, but what if you asked some leading questions, like:

“Wow, your research found that 90% of nutrients are destroyed in 1 1/2 minutes! Can you tell me a little about the research study that determined that?”

If we knew about why he feels that way, it saves a lot of speculation about why he would say that.

81. Nick says:

Raw is the law of nature. Not even our cousin-like monkeys cook. To say we’re not divorced from nature–not that you did, except by saying, albeit quotingly, “raw is not the law”–then show me how/where we’re connected to nature. OK, there are ways, but there’s a tipping point when there’s so many more ways we’ve disconnected ourselves. Kudos to the back-to-the-landers, nature defenders & such, to those who’ve come around & realized — oh my, nature, for instance, a forest is a therapeutic setting, as opposed to a sterile (opposite of fertile) hospital setting. Not only that but making our home in nature (forests) is the only way for life to continue, cuz forests ARE our only real source of fresh water, the basis of life, & forests also sequester/consume carbon as well generate oxygen–the very top of the heap of our heirarchy of needs. Check out agroforestry in permaculture: basically we don’t have to clear away forests to grow food, & we can grow forests and food at the same tiime, in the same space. Then algae is the fastest growing plant, so is fastest at both, making oxygen and sequestering carbon. It’s EFA profile matches that of fish, which is fed children for brain development & used by adults for brain maintenance. There’s not enough fish in the sea, so algae should be pushed when some gov’s are feeding school children fish oils. Then some algae can be lipid/fat oil heavy (up to near 50%) for a biodegradeable biofuel. I know combustion of O2 is the problem, but until our toxic infrastructure is pushed by the public to shift. Then algae can be grown on scrub/desert land, so does not have to displace food crops, like corn and palm oil, what big agrobiz is pushing. Then there’s the bioremedial potential of mushrooms, but being kicked offline here. C yas.

82. Mags says:

Dude, you need to blink more! You’re so wide-eyed all the time. I feel like you’re trying to MK me. Your wife does it too. Healthy eyes need lubrication.

I’m learning good stuff from you guys, thanks for giving, I appreciate it.

Mags
    London UK

83. Jasmine says:

I really liked #513 because whats-his-name elaborated on oceangrown – good info. Really sold me on it. I’mt traveling in an “RV” myself right now with my boyfriend (i.e. a gutted cargo van) and we have been toiling with the idea of sprouting and fermenting. Your videos couldn’t have come at a better time. We did just pick up some food-grade hydrogen peroxide before your shows on oceangrown. I’d love to order some, but I think we’ll be in Mexico by the time it gets here (patagonia).

I did order annmarie’s skincare, though. Got it shipped here general delivery. I am loving it so far. Everything smells amazing (my boyfriend is enjoying the aromas, too, and the massage I gave him with the coconut oil body and face moisturizer.

Also, I really enjoyed this last video #514 because you addressed some of the questions I was wondering about.

Keep up the great work, guys!

check out my travel blog: http://www.myworldofraw.blogspot.com

84. Jill says:

That makes no sense to me either, blending is the same thing as chewing lol. 🙂

85. Almamater says:

I agree with Jason, comment #76. It is important to ask an interviewee leading questions so that all the speculation about his information can be filtered somewhat. Being able to “think of your feet” is a great skill to have when conducting interviews.

I am skeptical about the claims of Ocean Grown. Before buying it, it may be a good idea to do an internet search on it to see other information on it (besides from the manufacturer). It may be little more than glorified water, and it would be sad to waste money on that.

86. Almamater says:

Oops, I meant “think on your feet”!!!

87. david says:

Let’s remember that Brian Clement said that blending in a powerful blender destroys 90% of the nutrients in ONE and a Half to TWO minutes. That is a VERY long time in a Vita-mix at high speed and may even produce enzyme killing temperatures. Twenty to thirty seconds is plenty and if you start with cold ingredients, you will not destroy very many macro-nutrients. Is chi or vital energy affected? Probably. But green smoothies are excellent food.

88. Marie1225 says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie,

Wow, I have to pick just one episode! I’d say my favorite lately has been the How to Sprout video. That was so neat, and you made something easy actually look easy. So thank you for that. Ya ever notice how some people can complicate things?

Anyway I went and purchased two mason jars. Now I just have decide what to sprout. Could you please gie out some recommendations on what seeds are good for sprouting, and then tell us how you eat them.

I agree with you Kevin about challenging someone in a video. I wouldn’t find it professional, and nor would you probably have many more guests if you did so. I don’t think thats why you have someone on there in the first place.

You are not trying to change their mind.From what I can tell getting to know you and Annmarie over the past 8 months or so through Renegade Health, you two are about getting the info out there and letting us as the viewers decide on our own.

You of course later give your opinion, but you guys always encourage us to do our own research, and to try things for ourselves. Thanks for being honest and upfront.

-Marie

89. Lucia says:

I was encourage by the sprout episode. To think of it…I’m encourage by all the episodes! Love learning raw and healthy eating. Thanks.

90. Mila says:

Hands down Dr. Brian Clement on the 3 essentials of a healthy diet. I also enjoyed the interview with Raymond Francis on cancer. And of course the discussion on medical marijuana! Basically, anything that’s informative… so if don’t have time to read all the nutrition books a summary or interview to highlight the info is REALLY helpful 😉

-Mila (aka Raw Radiance)

91. Marlene says:

I have a question – I eat sprouts regularly, and I would like to diversify my recipes by using dried sprouts. But all books on sprouting says that drying detroys the nutrients. Do you know if its true? Because they don’t provide data or proof of that.
    Plus I did plant some dried sprouts and they did grow normally. Should that be proof enough that a dried sprout is still an active living food?

92. Rich says:

Hi there, I liked Dr Clement’s interview. I have another completely off the subject question: How do you clean your nut bag after making a green juice? It takes so long to clean and sometimes the green will not go away! Thanks for the good work…

93. Ed Bogusz says:

Hi, two strong weeks but ocean grow is a new beacon of light. The healthier the soil the healthier the fruit and veggies,but please check in with Paul Stamets and “fungi perfecti” to turn a nice quinnella into a sweet trifecta. My mad science agronony this season will inclued zeolite as well, so I hope to have pictures to rival Finhorn by June. Keep up the good work

94. Chris & Sara says:

We liked #509/510 w Brian Clement. For many reasons. Not only what he said.
    Whether you agree or not, he still makes you look at things differently.
    Making small healthy changes over time is definitely the best way!
    You can tell he is very passionate and caring. If only more people could tap into their passions…

At first glance, I must admit, we both did, :), that we formed some pre judgements about Brian… which is odd, Id like to think Im not that judgemental… but I did!! And by the end of the 2nd vid, boy did we feel SILLY!!! Just because someone looks like someone from a past experience, doesnt mean they will think, speak, or behave like them.
    At first we thought he might be a little stuffy or someone who thought they knew everything. Not sure if it was the tie. But boy by the end of the interviews, I really had to take a look at myself. Were we wrong! THank god he had the chance to prove my belief was wrong. Imagine all the beliefs we make about people without ever getting to know them. He made us realize all this!! And we really liked him by the end and just felt stupid. He is someone I would really like to know. And he was NOTHING like what I expected him to be.

THanks Kev for sharing the interview and making us look at ourselves! You ARE changing the health of the world, ONE SHOW AT A TIME!!!

Alo-Raw!

C&S

95. Cherie says:

Thank you for not challenging people in your interview, that gives you time to ask questions instead of debating and to me asking question is more helpful than a debate. Thanks.

96. Hey Kevin, I really enjoy you and Annmarie,
    Yes , the more I learn the more I rely on intuition to guide me in my choices. We are all so similar and different, having specific challenges , past lifestyles and genetic idiosyncrasies, not to mention the psychoneuroemotional considerations. To come into balance or maintain balance also plays a role in choices about food, nutrition and exercise.It is much easier to maintain balance than to re-establish balance.
    With regard to blending and the oxidizing of vitamins, it is my understanding that the assimilation of vitamins is dependent on surface area. The surface area of the small intestine is said to be that of a tennis court, the villi being responsible for increasing the surface area of a seemingly small organ. It makes sense to me that blending food increases the surface area of that food by thousands ,maybe hundreds of thousands of times. I also do not believe that blending reduces the nutrition by 90% and this is also dependent on how long you blend the food. That said, even if the nutritional value was reduced my 90% if the assimilation was increased by only 1000 times wouldn’t we still be assimilating more nutrients. 100% – 90%blending= 10% x 1000= 100%. Take in consideration that a compromised digestive system does not assimilate 100% and that blending may increase the surface area more than 1000 times and you have a no brainer situation. Also consider that much of the nutritional value of raw food is deep in the cellulose and we have another reason to blend food and feel very confident that we are getting much more value from that food. For some of us this isn’t even a question in that we have seen clearly in our own health and the health of others the profound effect of blended green drinks.
    I have done a lot of pH testing on myself and can assure you that blended greens have way more of a alkalizing effect on the body than the same food chewed. In addition, the ability for the blended food to address yeast, mold, fungus, parasites and other issues is also increased and quit evident by the die-off symptoms that occur after drinking a low carbohydrate green drink.. This is food as medicine.
    your friend in health
    Anthony Lopedota

97. Jacquie says:

Ooooh! The pressure! I can’t pick just one, Kevin! You guys are my new Lays! ha ha I loved the one on opening a thai coconut (I think that was in the last two weeks) along with the one of Annmarie showing us how to sprout in a jar. Those two are my favs (along with every single Wednesday cooking show)! Love you two and blessings!

98. My favorite would be Brian Clement, because I am curious about him and his program.
    But I have a question and we NEED an answer.
    Hubby and I ate near vegan Nov and Dec, and all vegan Jan and Feb. My husband’s cholesterol dropped 50 points to a very healthy 150. He had all the other benefits: energy, less allergies, joints, etc. Yeah.
    But he has had an alarming weight loss, and he was already thin. And I mean alarming. He is shriveling into a skinny old man, and he DOES NOT look healthy. and his blood pressure remains high. How can a skinny, active, non-smoking vegan have high bp?
    What do we do? For him does healthy weight = high cholesterol?
    Please comment.

99. C. Ben Jones says:

You were talking to one the most knoweledgeable people about food and health in the world. When you were doing shots and what nots he was way ahead of you in research and business. If he says there is a loss in nutricianal value when you high speed heat and oxidize your food then maybe you should consider it. You have declared your position on blending, you make money from blending (your smoothie book)and you offer no science to refute what Brian said. Going on gut instinct is not usually a bad thing when it comes to science. It is not confrontational to ask one of your guest’s to explain the reseach and science. Is there a chance that juiceing is far better than blending?, I think that very well may be the case. I for one want to know the answer to the question 90% of exactly which nutrients. When peolpe who have looked at Brians talk say that chewing is the same thing as blending I am amazed. I really want to see these people eat, it should be exciting. Why not try to get a good scientific answer? Is it counter to your health or your financial health? Kevin you have lost some of your magic with me on this issue. I am disappointed and look on your shows with new eyes.

100. I agree with Ladan… you are looking alot healthier… oh and 1 question…

Who thinks that taking b12 shots are a good natural way to get your b12, Raise your hand?!?

*hears crickets*..

well, may I ask what do you think you are lacking… that you have to take a b12 shot? I know our ancestors weren’t injecting themselves with b12.. what gives?

101. You cannot eat a natural diet (as in what humans were meant to eat, namely raw food) and get sufficient calories without fruit….study fruit and the human digestive system and tell me we are not meant to eat it?

There are justifications for this but no real answers….

102. Joan says:

I appreciate your attitude and the variety of your shows – I believe that we should use what we can and discard the rest without being critical or defensive – whatever works best for each person is the way to go – we are all different and have different needs.