How to Sprout in a Jar (If We Can Do It, So Can You!) – The Renegade Health Show Episode #512

Wednesday Feb 24 | BY |

Today, Ann’s going to show you how to sprout in a jar…

It’s so easy and doesn’t take up too much space. ๐Ÿ™‚

As we’ve been traveling around, we’ve heard a lot of excuses about why some people don’t have the time to sprout or do this or that. After being in an RV with little space and little time, we’ve realized there are NO excuses.

In this episode, we show you how to sprout in a jar and how to mineralize your sprouts with OceanGrown Solution.

Your question of the day: What is your favorite sprout?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom and leave your comments now!

If you’d like to get OceanGrown Solution today for your sprouting and gardening, be sure to check out our special deal for the first 50 orders… click here!

Kevin Gianni is a health author, activist and blogger. He started seriously researching personal and preventative natural health therapies in 2002 when he was struck with the reality that cancer ran deep in his family and if he didnโ€™t change the way he was living โ€” he might go down that same path. Since then, heโ€™s written and edited 6 books on the subject of natural health, diet and fitness. During this time, heโ€™s constantly been humbled by what experts claim they know and what actually is true. This has led him to experiment with many diets and protocols โ€” including vegan, raw food, fasting, medical treatments and more โ€” to find out what is myth and what really works in the real world.

Kevin has also traveled around the world searching for the best protocols, foods, medicines and clinics around and bringing them to the readers of his blog RenegadeHealth.com โ€” which is one of the most widely read natural health blogs in the world with hundreds of thousands of visitors a month from over 150 countries around the world.

1. Craig says:

I like Mung beans because they are so Easy.
    Way to go on sprouting.!The juice is so full of Life!!!

2. Thanks Kevin and Annemarie

I love sunflower sprouts, but if I eat too much of them my mouth gets dry (meaning I’ve had enough)

Also, visit my blog http://www.rawsomegal.wordpress.com and read about my 42 day cleanse using coconut water and stevia in my water, and finished mid-January. I have also written about my transition back to food. I continue to write about health related topics and post daily (off on weekends). To read about my cleanse from day 1, click on December 2009. Share this with others who may be interested and I love to receive comments. You can also subscribe so you will always receive the latest posts in you email inbox.

Namaste!
    Chef Mindy aka Ageless Raw Beauty

3. Joy says:

Ooh! I love growing my own! Sprouts, that is… My most favorite are Radish Sprouts – love the spicy flavor.
    I recommend the Sprout Garden, which comes with 3 trays and makes it SOOO easy, since they stay in the dark in the trays, but I can leave them in my kitchen in plain sight so I remember to rinse them often enough.
    Pea sprouts are awesome, too! They would be my second fave, and red clover sprouts my third favorite.

4. Stephan Wilmas says:

Hey there!
    Anyone know a good place I can buy organic sunflower seeds from?

Thanks!
    Stephan

5. diane says:

I love Zesty Mix! It also tastes great in a smoothie Can you drink the water that you soak and rinse ANY seeds with?

6. Lynn says:

Sunflower!

7. Wendy says:

I use a salad blend (alfalfa, radish, and clover I think) from the Sproutman – YUM. Also mung beans. And I use old pantyhose pieces as my “screen” and secure it with the screw lid from the canning jar. So cheap and employs recycling.
    Love the draining rack idea – will use that.

8. Julie says:

I have done a little sprouting with different types of seeds. I was amazed at how it actually worked and they grew so quickly. They taste awesome and really add to a salad.
    It’s very easy, just don’t forget to rinse them daily. The first few days I put them in dark places so i write a note to rinse so I don’t forget. One of the easiest things to do.
    Thanks for showing how to do your own lid, that would be cheaper. Awesome!

9. George says:

Hi Kev & Annmarie,

My favorite sprouts are mung beans, chia seeds, sunflower seeds and chic peas. I’ve tried sprouting soy beans with no success. Do you have any input on this?

10. Tahnee says:

Hi, I love your show. Could you posseble show or tell me how to make Coconut butter to use on a cracker or what ever?Do you have any Raw food ideas for dog and Parrots?

Thanks Tahnee

11. Connie says:

I have been experimenting with a variety of sprouts including mung (which my daughter likes, yay), peas and sunflowers (which I am surprised and sad to say, I don’t care for much), brassica blend, radish, mustard, fenugreek, etc. But the one that we all seem to like best is the old standby–alfalfa!

I have sprouted in jars but since I bought an EasySprout it’s the only thing I use. I LOVE IT! It is supposed to be excellent for sprouting while travelling, but I’ve never tested out that theory.

I joined the sproutpeople group at Yahoo to learn about sprouting and have discovered they are a very knowledgeable bunch of people, so I suggest you check it out. One thing we discuss a lot is the variety of ways and containers one can sprout in. Very surprising! (Not to take away at all from your presentation, Kevin and Annemarie. I really liked this show!)

Speaking of sprouts, I have some ready and I am hungry–so off to the kitchen I go!

Connie

12. Dawni says:

I love sprouts. I will share this video with my son. So he can make up a few jars with the screen as you’ve demo’d it here.

I have the jars that I’ve bought with the screw on screen lids that I think works nicely.

I am very interested in the OceanSolution product.

What a fantastic life…

Love, Dawni

13. Rene Oswald says:

Great video demo! Like you said, if you can do it, anyone can! I spend only 5 minutes a day growing 1/2 gallon of sprouts a day! My favorite spout is red clover.

Some folks are worried about the aluminum from the jar rims coming in contact with their sprouts and they also do rust after awhile. I found some other sources on line for plastic lids and stainless steel lids. They are listed on the “Resource” page of my site at http://rawfoodrene.com

Happy Sprouting!

14. Marie says:

Clover and radish are my favorite. Thanks for the encouragement. Haven’t sprouted in a while. Going to get back to it, and this time use the oceon grown. Like that you demonstrated how to use it with the sprouts.

15. Patti says:

love radish sprouts!

16. Matthias says:

I like lentil-sprouts a lot. They are very easy to sprout and are already ready to eat after about 3 days and you can get them in a good variety (different green ones, black beluga, brown ones and bigger light brown ones).

I read on wikipedia that sprouted lentils contain sufficient levels of all essential amino acids and are also a good source for minerals and iron.

What are your thoughts about sprouted lentils?

17. Shaya says:

Very interesting. Thanks. I’m curious about the last part of the video. How long do you intend to leave the jars in the draining position? I usually only do that for a few minutes as I don’t like to expose my sprouts to too much light. I keep mine horizontally on the counter with a dish towel put over them to keep the light out.

Second, when I rinse them, I usually let them soak for about a minute. The instructions I have says to do that for mung beans and I do it for all of them and have excellent results. Mine are normally ready to harvest in 3 to 4 days. I haven’t tried the spinner, but will do so.

Third, I do not rinse the hulls. Why dispose of anything that is edible? I am assuming that they have some nutritional value and certainly are a source of fiber.

My favorite is quinoa, especially the red variety. Very delicate sprouts. They remind me of something else, but I won’t say what.

18. Greg says:

My fav’s are mung and lentil. I like all beans the most. By the way a great website for all sprouting needs is: handypantry.com They got eveything anyone would need and use for sprouting. Except the “oceangrown” of course. However, I did order some of that this afternoon to try on all my plants and trees. Hopeing it works as good as it sounds. Good job on the video. And thanks for the recomendation on the oceangrown!

19. Diana says:

I buy a mixed bag of seeds for sprouting which is great. I also love lentil sprouts – filling and so good!
    I use pure organic powder marine phytoplankton for my fertilizer (for herbs and garden) mixed with a bit of water. It is so fantastic!! Can get at http://www.gesundheit.ca – so good for health also!
    Great show – just love it, Thanks!

20. Hi Annmarie & Kevin!
    Well done! We are getting our community to sprout, too! Everything we offer through Eternal Delight Cafe is soaked and sprouted. Also, we will have a Superfood Boutique where people can buy their seeds :)) We will open our own shop on March 1st!!! Very exciting!

And to your question of the day: I LOVE BROCCOLI SPROUTS!!! :)) So YUMMY!!

Much love and hugs from Christchurch, New Zealand!!

Patricia

21. John says:

Hi Kevin–I did a lot of sprouting in Alaska when we lived there, as then I was 100% raw for 8 years and the only way to get fresh produce was to sprout it yourself. Little hard to sprout here in Arizona though, as the heat here tends to rot the sprouts before they a ready to eat. I will get some of the Oceangrown solution and give it a try in my outside garden, thanks for showing the video on that. Rev John

22. Thank Annmarie & Kevin,

Sprouting is one of my favorite activity in winter. I am sprouting a lot of organic rapeseed from my brother’s farm and use them in my green smoothie.
    au revoir
    Dr. Jerome

23. Ineke says:

Great show Kevin.

As you probably know by now, we have been sprouting and growing wheatgrass for quite a while. We have a little rack set up in the office where we grow our stuff. You made me aware of the minerals you can add. My husband bought some kelp concoction a while ago to add to the water but I haven’t really been doing that so thanks!! My favorite sprouts are sunflower and pea sprouts and they are delicious in green juice together with garlic and/or ginger.

24. sarah says:

i sprouted chickpeas as an experiment as i don’t have green fingers but to my shock they grew and they were just regular dried chickpeas from the supermarket that they usually boil for hours and put in stew here (effectively killing them!) they taste great and i am so surprised at how easy it was.i make raw humous it is delicious!

25. Helloooo,

Thanks for the episode. I love sprouting and sprouts!! Favorites are broccoli and alfalfa. I’ve even got my parents into sprouting as well, or sprout eating anyways.

Last summer I did the exact same thing you guys did, went down to the local hardware store and bought some mesh screening and made my own tops. I did find something out about the screen that was a little dodgy though and that was that most metal screen is not made from stainless steel and is made from aluminum. I’ve always wondered if the aluminum would leach into the sprouts, especially when they are resting on the screen while draining because the soak water can become acidic from the sprouts producing phytic acid. Using the high mineral concentrate OceanGrown solution, this would be less of a concern for sure.

I ended up finding a large, fine meshed stainless steal pasta sieve from a local dollar store for $2 and made a few coverings out of that to put my mind at ease.

This brings up something that has been on the back of my mind for a while and that is testing. Many of us in the natural health circle are left to the whim of our own opinions about debated topics because the author of the opinions never / rarely leave us with the scientific proof or validation to back up their claims. What if, as a community, we started a website / organization that actually started to test these claims and find out exactly what’s what. For instance, blending vs juicing. We could pool donation money together and actually have it laboratory tested by a qualified expert in nutritional testing. It wouldn’t even be that expensive, a few hundred – a thousand dollars per experiment at most. We could set up a site where there could be a list of experiments to validate the most popular theories. One could find out how much it would cost to preform that experiment and post it beside the experiment. There could be a donation button beside each experiment and a counter to see how much more money it would take to launch it. There are some theories that would obviously to involved to test but I’m sure there are people around the world who have the data to back up certain, common but controversial theories. I’m tired of reading opinions, opinions, opinions….I want the facts, I want the evidence. I want to see the results of the tests. Are the nutrients destroyed at 105? or 118? How many are destroyed? Is blending 90% harmful or is it actually 25% harmful and only when you blend for more than 30seconds.

Another idea, what if the naturopaths, herbalists, nutritionists and other natural health practitioners in north america were contacted and asked if they would be willing to report their clinical findings of treatments that were working and ones that weren’t. This way we could start to collect the REAL evidence of what is actually working and what are just opinions. There are thousands of us, like minded individuals that are looking for answers. We look to experts in our chosen field except these “experts” only give opinions and hardly ever factual, real life evidence of what is working and what isn’t.

If this sounds like an idea that you could get behind and would want to help with, please contact me through my website. Please help spread this quest for REAL, measurable knowledge to other health blogs and leaders who would be willing to share actual case reports and measurable, tested proof of results.

Thank you Kevin and Annmarie for the community we have here at renegade health.

Much love and support,

Jordan Lidster

26. Veronica says:

I love all sprouts, but especially alfalfa and fenugreek. I would love to grow sunflower sprouts, but they get so moldy. Any ideas on this?

Veronica

27. John Kane says:

For a single item it is a tie between alfalfa and mung but, a mixture of Radish,mung,alfalfa and a few fenugreek is great.

Taking a bunch of the sprouts on placed with a slice of tomato,cucumber on pumpernickel with hummus and cayenne pepper,and if I have some kale,cilantro and kimchi and I am in heaven ๐Ÿ™‚

28. doubleg48 says:

Good show. I’ve recently moved into a much smaller apartment and was thinking of using some of those excuses you mentioned as to why I might not be able to sprout. Thanks for showing us extreme minimalist sprouting.

I wonder if dissolving Celtic Sea Salt in water would result in a solution similar to Ocean Grown? And what proportions? I had been looking in garden centers for a kelp fertilizer to use on my wheat grass. I guess that would also have lots of ocean minerals.

I am still bothered by the fact that I always seem to attract fruit flies or whatever little fly it is that comes whenever I sprout, especially wheat grass.

My husband also does not like to see ANYTHING out on the counters or visible in the kitchen. He wants everything to look pristine like a magazine layout, actually looking like it is totally uninhabited. I don’t know what he will do if I start putting jars and trays of wheat grass out. I’d hide them behind cupboard doors, but as I said, it is VERY small here. I guess I’ll have to convince him that health is more important than appearances.

29. junglegirl says:

This is what I do too, but I use the grey vinyl screening – same as metal, but it’s vinyl. I cut a 6×6 inch square with a pair of kitchen scissors and use a rubber band repurposed from produce to hold it in place. No rust, no metal and is really easy to clean.

30. doubleg48 says:

One more question:
    Does anyone have trouble sprouting broccoli? I have tried several different sources and I get just a very few tiny sprouts, while most of the seeds just sit there. I have heard that is an issue with broccoli.

Also, when I mentioned about fruit flies above, I meant mostly in the warmer weather of course.

31. anasha Sol says:

i love alfalfa, mung, sunflower, broccoli, lentils, i do sprout a lot and everyday and even traveling when it is with a car.
    i would like to share something with number 2 ageless raw beauty, i appreciate your info on fasting but get tired of seeing it every single day and cannot help but feel like you are using the comment part of the show for advertising, maybe i am wrong and if so i apologize ,if not ….well, it is up to you to look and feel into it and act on this.

32. Penny says:

I have bought Indium Ease which helps all your glands take up an incredible amount of minerals.

33. doubleg48 says:

For the screens I have bought that “plastic canvas” for crafts and cut them to size. That is very much like the plastic lids you buy for sprouting.

I also bought cute painted lids that fit the jars. I think people get them for jams and nice things to give for gifts from their kitchen. I think they would hold off the rusting of the lids a little longer and they look cute.

34. Jennie says:

Thank you for the info! I have all the stuff to start sprouting and I’m starting TODAY!!!

35. raymond says:

well put jordan and i agree with your point of veiw i am the same way show me facts,and the back up.i have never heard about sprouting but i know i need to do this,and now i can get started on this.thats why i love the renegade show thanks, kevin and ann.

36. Jo Smith says:

Well, if I’m REALLY serious about trying to do this…I feel like I’m about to become a mother again. Three times a day? I’m going to have to find a place to keep them as my kitchen is not only small, but always lit. This is going to be interesting…

37. Iulian says:

Hey Kevin,

I really enjoy your show’s episodes. They are full of new and useful information.

Keep’em coming! ๐Ÿ˜€

Regarding to sprouts I wonder what’s your take on the EasyGreen MicroFarm found at http://www.easygreen.com ?

Is it worth the money ?

With abundant health,

Iulian.

38. Kathy says:

Alfalfa…although after reading the other comments, it looks like I need to branch out a bit!! Thanks so much for the sprouting video. In spite of prodigious rinsing and draining, I still seem to get a lot of moldy sprouts. Ugh.

39. Christie says:

I love mung bean sprouts! I always use a couple drops of H2O2 in my soaking water… is this a bad idea for any reason? I have heard that beans/seeds can have ecoli and H2O2 or grapeseed seed extract kill this. Thanks for the show, it would be nice to see the end product too.:)

40. SuZana says:

Doubleg48, Iยดve been having the same issues with brocolli sprouts. Recently, I found out that the trick might be on leaving the seeds soaking for much longer than 8 to 12h. I tried 36 hours some days ago and it seems to be working. Next time will try even longer. i wonder why this is…

41. SuZana says:

Also wondering if using a solution of Himalyan or celtic sea salt would be a good alternative to OceanWater, as someone else in the discussion has mentioned.

42. joan says:

SUNFLOWER SPROUTS!!!!

i’ve been sprouting with 3 easygreen sprouters for about 6 months now. often have trouble with the sprouts staying too wet, and rotting. i thought i was overcoming that when i bought these fancy, pricey gadgets!

sprouting jars and nut milk bags just don’t work for me here, in florida, as they used to in canada. in this humid climate, i just don’t have any luck with those methods. the easy green sprouters are the only thing that (sorta) work here.

i sprout mung, alfalfa, red clover, daikon,(too hot!!)garden mixes, broccoli and sunflower.

sunflower sprouts win HANDS DOWN!!! i can happily sit down and eat a mini-tray of them, tossed with a little dressing, and make a meal of that. they really are the best. i love the mild, slightly nutty flavour and the crisp, crunchy texture of them. their texture is kinda like mung sprouts, without the dank flavour. i also eat them in lettuce wraps and in salads – and they are great in my green juices and green smoothies. after six months, i still just can’t get enough of them!

43. John says:

lentils are my favorite to sprout cause they are sold right in the grocery store and are yummy and easy! speaking of sprouts, i have been sprouting, processing, and dehydrating wheat berries into raw essene bread. i was wondering if the wheat is still unhealthy even in it’s raw stste, on account if its gluten content.

44. Evonne says:

wow you make it look so easy. i live in a semi(truck). space is really a problem. any ideas?? as always, great show. God Bless you for all your work, care, love & concern. VB

45. astrialkil says:

Seeds are permanent food. I have Mung beans that i bought in Utah in 1990 that still sprout at a rate of 75-80%, 20 years isn’t bad.

Why not try DRY sprouting, it will fix your glass problem.
    1. soak you seeds as normal.
    2. pour off excess water.
    3. put seeds in a hand towel and dry off the seeds with a back and fourth motion.
    4.put seeds in a dry second hand towel and twist the top close and secure with a twist tie.
    5. wait 3 days.
    6.Open towel and inspect sprouts and or expose them to sun to increase the vitamin C content.
    7. eat or rinse if needed.
    8. this works best with large seeds that soak up a lot of water like beans.
    9.beans other then lentils or mung beans MUST be cooked or U will get a green potato like poising. U wont die but who wants a tummy or live ache?

Sprout up!

46. Linda Miller says:

I just set some newly sprouted red clover in the fridge this morning. I think they are one of my favorite because they were so mild tasting in my salad.

47. Judith Becker says:

I like both alfalfa and broccoli, but also spice it up sometimes with radish and Chinese cabbage sprouts. Sprouting provides a huge nutritional bang for the buck and is so easy to do.

Thanks for all your wonderful shows, Kevin and Annmarie – you are both great inspirations for healthy living.

48. Lorien says:

I just spent 5.99 for a sprout jar at my Co-op and have my first batch of red clover sprouts growing. I’m on day 4 and their doing well, filling up the jar. I never liked sprouts but they are so good for you I decided to get over it, of course I’ve only had the store kind. I expect my home grown will be better.

49. Sophia says:

My favorite sprouts are sunflower sprouts!

50. Alena says:

Haven’t been sprouting for a while so thanks for the idea, never too late to sprout! Fenougreek, garbanzo, Miner’s lettuce, buckwheat (just the tiny white rootlet out for pizza dough– because the “lettuce” is toxic and can harm one’s nervous system… think eating rhubarb leaves=bad=.. it’s in the same family…. Cheers! Alena

51. Lish says:

I love broccoli sprouts! After reading about a study that suggests that they reduce they inflammatory associated with asthma, I decided to experiment with myself.

See: http://esciencenews.com/articles/2009/03/02/broccoli.may.help.protect.against.respiratory.conditions.asthma

It’s been 2 months and I have eliminated my daily corticosteroid altogether. I still use my albuterol on occasion (once every couple of days). This is a vast improvement for me! My asthma now is as it was over 25 years ago after degenerating over the years on medication.

52. brian says:

I like sunflower (shoots) and sesame sprouts. I only manage to sprout up to 3 days or they get moldy. I haven’t had success with quinoa. They are unpalatable raw and often sours. Remember to avoid drought when sprouting. In my experience, if I eat sesame seeds exposed to drought, I get nauseous.

53. Bette says:

Radish and lentils

54. scott says:

Sprout people have a great website lots of info, thanks for all your shows. My favorite spouts are French garden and Italian mix from sprout people. Keep up the informative and entertaining shows!

55. kate says:

I like mung beans. They grow easily and quickly and are mild-tasting.

56. RJ says:

Good show! I didn’t realize one should shake the water off the sprouts so hard, I thought they would break and die. I never tried sprouting chia seeds and decided to start a batch tonight….didn’t have a screen handy so I cut out a square of some nylons (panty hose)and stretched it over the mouth of the jar; then put a couple strong rubber bands around the opening to secure the nylon. No rim rust possible using nylons and no plastic for the landfill.

OceanGrown Solution sounds very good. Think I’ll have to buy some for sprouting. Instead of rinsing the OceanGrown Solution down the drain, I think I’ll just drizzle it on Mother Earth ๐Ÿ™‚

57. Sarah says:

sunflower! ๐Ÿ™‚

58. josanne says:

So far my favorite is a combo of alfalfa and lentils; if I want something spicy I’ll add garlic or radish.

I use a half gallon jar, cheesecloth and an elastic band. Like Kevin and Annmarie I keep the jar at a 45 degree angle in the dish rack, where it’s visible so I’ll remember to rinse it twice a day. While the seeds are sprouting I throw a clean tea towel over the jar to simulate darkness. On the last day as the sprouts start turning green I put them in indirect light.

59. Barbara W. says:

Sunflower Sprouts! ๐Ÿ™‚ I usually go through a flat per week bought from farmer’s market. I do have a bunch of sprouting seeds in the cabinet so thanks for inspiring me to get using them. Please do more shows on sprouting and keep us posted on your experiences.

60. I’m using the Sproutman Organic Sprouting Seeds Salad Mix. The bag lasts a long time. I only started sprouting last summer. I plan to try some new seeds soon.

Happy sprouting.

61. Rene Oswald says:

Use food grade H2O2, since conventional H2O2 contains heavy metals.

62. lentils. Not that they are special, but they are always on hand when I get in the sprouting mood.

63. Jackie says:

I am so happy you did a show on sprouting! No more excuses, I want to get started doing my own. Yes, I would like to hear from nutritionists on the value and healing ability of sprouts also!

64. I just love you rawfooders! Im excited to sprout, went to OHI health Inst. sunday her in san diego ca. had some sprouts there. You two are so!!!!!!!!!!!!!FUN!!!!!!!!!!! I want to hang out have a play day! much love,Dandelion

65. RJ says:

Yikes!!!!!!!!!!
    I should do a bit of research before listening to the posts that are listed here. I just soaked my chia seeds, thinking they were the same as alfalfa for sprouting.

Here is a more complete post on sprouting chia seeds

I hope Kevin and Annmarie continue to do more posts on the “indoor gardening” of sprouts! ๐Ÿ™‚

66. baking soda says:

I love alfalfa, garlic and onion sprouts! I’ve been buying them, so perhaps it’s time to grow them myself. Thanks Kevin and Ann for the tutorial.

67. Beto says:

Haven’t tried sprouting yet, but I will now. I like Jordan’s idea about a data clearinghouse for all of these suggestions and ideas that sound great and make sense but lack a scientific process to support the intended benefits.

68. Nicole says:

I wish I liked sprouting more, but the 5 times I tried it, I didn’t like the sprouts really.

I would like to try lentils and fenugreek though, just to see if they taste good.

If I ended up liking sprouts a lot, I think I’d like one of those auto sprouters, ๐Ÿ™‚

69. JR / Chicago says:

I like alfalfa and red clover. But they are all good. As one person stated above, broccoli can be challenging to grow, but it is one of the best for our overall health.

Hey, check out the sprouter designed by Gene Monson in Lake Mills, Wisconsin. It looks like Gene has built a better mousetrap as far as sprouters go. You can check out his unique concept in sprouting at http://www.sproutamo.com

Kevin and Annmarie thanks for encouraging thousands (via the internet) to eat right and live a healthy life style. This world needs positive forces like you two. Keep up the good work! May the best of all that is good continue to come your way.

70. Cindy in Marin says:

I actually have buckwheat, wheatberries and sunflower seeds spouting on day one now, plus lentils in the fridge. Buckwheat is probably my favorite for taste, chia for energy and alfalfa for health.

Kev, love the curly hair!

71. I love the spicy sprouts, like radishes. Great programs the last few days! Thanks.

72. Geri says:

Pea sprouts, yumm

73. Jen says:

ah! I just got a sprouting platform for my birthday.
    I love sprouting lentils because they never go wrong. I just learnt how to grow wheat grass to. So much fun and good for kids to learn about too.

74. Lori says:

Thanks for the push to resume my sprouting – I have extra quart mason jars sitting around anyway since I use them for my smoothies. Years ago my husband would make huge batches of alfalfa sprouts at one time by using the gal plastic jugs from the distilled water we would buy, it worked really well back then and as they grew and needed the hulls rinsed off he would cut off the top – leave the handle on,continue for a day or so with loose plastic. Sure was nice having so many sprouts! Oh, and a retired lady living next door would use the plastic gal jugs to make a chicken or bunny “planter” for house or porch plants!

75. Betsy says:

Sprouts are the best. Warning on canning jar lids-and I was bummed to learn this. There is Bisphenol A (BPA)in the plastic in the lid. After sprouts are in the fridge they tend to dry up a bit, so I would put the cover on. Now I use a plastic bag, Which is worse? Arghh – I dislike plastic (to put it mildly).

76. Stephanie says:

It was great to meet the two of you last night, i remembered i really wanted to tell you about culture pears. great addition to smoothies and raw icecream ๐Ÿ™‚
    make a saltwater brine pour over pear cut in half and let culture only two days. you’ll see the cultures grow quickly but if you go longer than two days they much up. i like to drink the brine and put to pears in green smoothies for a cultures beverage. you can also make some great icecream with them (contact me for the recipe)and yes the cultures still are effective after you freeze them, because when i eat the icecream (and yes it’s raw vegan ๐Ÿ™‚ you can feel the cultures in your gut.
    take care ๐Ÿ™‚

77. Anne Hunt says:

We got the plastic restaurant trays to grow our wheatgrass on with another tray to put on top to keep out the light until it starts to grow….
    Sprouting we have tried a few but still like alfalfa best.

78. Susan says:

Great show on sprouting and that do-it-yourself trick. I just tried soaking my fresh trailmix containing almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin and walnuts. To my surprise they are wonderful this way. I even had some dried cranberries in there and it worked.

79. Teri says:

I’ve been sprouting for about 30 yrs and have always relied on alfalfa and radish to be my faves.

I am hoping that you actually save your OceanSolution for rinsing….at least until you rinse all of the jars. I would think that it would still have goodness to give even with the last jar.

80. Judy says:

While mung are slightly more complicated, they are some of my favorites.
    FYI I like to use the fiberglass screening that you can get in hardware stores, cutting the circle much larger. I affix them to the jars with broccoli rubber bands as they are stout to withstand the flow of seeds and water. Then the lids don’t rust…
    Thanks for all you do.

81. Nihacc says:

Alfalfa and saracin sprouts! Great jars!!

82. Jan says:

I like alfalfa and clover the best.

An idea is to grow your own lettuce indoors.
    You will need a window that lets in sun.
    I use long narrow boxes to plant in.
    Follow direction on seed packet and you should have lettuce in 15 to 20 days.

Tip I stay away from seed packets that have a mix of different kinds in them. It sounds great having different kinds of lettuce but they tend to mature at different times.

83. Jacquie says:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I’m so glad you did this show! I’m just in the process of ordering some sprouting trays for wheatgrass and this will be the perfect way to try small batches of different kinds of seeds to find out what I like best ’cause I don’t know yet! ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m also going to get some Oceangrown and start my own organic garden this year with square foot gardening. Whew! I’m tired just thinking about it. Think I need to go juice! hee ๐Ÿ˜‰

84. Kathryn says:

My favorite is a 5 seed blend. I love to use a bag to make my sprouts.
    I buy a one gallon paint bag at Lowe’s and after soaking my seeds over night, I place the bag over the mouth of the jar and turn it upside down. Then I was it out and wash the seeds several times before putting a rubber band around the mouth to hold it closed and hanging it on a hook above my sink. I wash them several times a day and I can have them ready to eat in 3 to 4 days. They grow so fast in the bag. The last day I put in a sprouter tray to green up. It is so easy to use the bag.
    Give this a try and I believe you will like it too.
    Kathryn

85. Tyra McMahon says:

Just received this in my inbox this morning. Thought I would share it since it is so interesting and People should be aware of this.

I have the sprout mans sprouter and I love it. But sometimes I will grow my sunflower seeds in a planter tray the way Ronnie and Min do. I like to add some rock dust to the earthworm compost. Then I will feed them with some seaweed liquid.

Yes Sunflower sprouts are totally my favourite.

86. Janet says:

Great idea for the sprouts, but why not use the rinse water for watering you other plants? I try not to waste anything that can be used in my garden and if you have a potted herb or salad garden your plants will love you for it.

87. Tanya says:

Sprouting and pregnancy? dangerous? healthful? any advice?

88. Isabelle says:

I love sprouts and have been sprouting for years! There is always something growing in my kitchen…my friends think I should be getting farm subsidies since I grow so much stuff..LOL!
    I sprout in a mylk bag on our saiboat in the summer. I just hang the sprouts all over the cabin! My fave combo is: radish&broccoli bec it is so piquant- delish!!
    Big hugs and thanks for a wonderfully inspiring website every single day! o are inspiring me to get an RV and to travel all over the US as I have always wanted to do…such a fun idea!
    Isabelle

89. Hi! I’ve been sprouting for many years. It’s the best way to get the most nutritious food, organic, super easy, super cheap. You can grow much greater variety than you can find to buy. My most fave is Radish, but I also really like Broccoli and Red Pea, and a mix of Radish, Red Clover, and Alfalfa – and most other kinds too. I like to use tray sprouters so I can stack several kinds in one small space, and rinse and drain easily.

90. Cherry says:

Lord willing, I am going to start sprouting on my own too. We are also looking into hydroponics. Mung bean, alfalfa and broccoli are my favorites. My children call them hair! They love it!
    In fact when I was in the Philippines before I moved here in TX, we sprouted mung beans. When I got here I forgot what I used to do- sprouting!
    Thanks for all what you do. You do encourage me and my children to be more healthy! They love watching your episodes! A million thanks!

Sincerely,

Cherry

91. Vita says:

My fav sprouts are lentils. Lately l have sprouted quinoa, sunflowers, mung, chick peas, and alfalfa (l found some that was no longer viable, unfortunately), Right now l have lentil sprouts marinated in Bragg’s Aminos in the dehydrator…yumm! The hulls are edible, too, and are easily ground up when the spouts are used in dehydrated things like falafel.
    l’ve always used canning jars with nylon netting and a rubber band to spout,then used the canning jar lid to store them in the fridge for a few days. Be careful the screening isn’t galvanized or treated. And use your sprout soaking water to water plants!

92. Mary says:

PLEASE CHECK OUT SPROUTPEOPLE.COM. They sell all sorts of organic seeds, including wheatgrass, sprouters, things for growing grass and a WEALTH of information about sprouting and growing wheatgrass. These folks are the real deal. Check out their site, you’ll be glad you did. They have recipes too

93. cheridene says:

I was wondering if you know of a alternative for Ocean grow in South Africa as to buy it from you would be very very expensive for me.

any suggestions?

love your site

94. Rhonda D says:

I have only spouted wheatgrass, for me and my cat’s they love it. I have had to make a try for the cat alone seeing they like to lay in it.

I missed you guess, at the potluck in Sarasota, FL.

Best wishes in your travels. Oh maybe I will see the Kale Whale on the highway Here in FL.
    Rhonda D.

95. Susan says:

Great episode guy! I have not done a ton of sprouting, but I do really like quinoa sprouts.

I dont’ know if this has been mentioned already because I didn’t read all the posts, but I would be concerned about the type of metal in mesh from a hardware store – I imagine it’s not food grade and the seeds/sprouts are havng a lot of contact with it while they are sprouting. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Just my gut instinct on it.

96. Patty Foley says:

To make your OceanSolution last longer rinse your sprouts with just pure Water. Fill a spray bottle with the OceanSolution mix. 1 part OS to 100 parts pure Water. After draining the sprouts lightly spray your sprouts.

A great way to grow your own nutrient dense living food. OceanGrown Sprouts are my superfoods. Instead of blender full of greens a handful of living sprouts are providing you with a much higher level of nutrients. I have just started using pea sprouts in my juice for extra protein and immediately noticed my nails getting stronger.

97. Linda B. says:

I’ve been sprouting for a number of years. The best blend I like is from the SproutPeople called French Garden. I use stackable trays and always have a nice supply to put in wraps. salads or to juice them. I also grow Buckwheat lettuce and Wheatgrass. I’m currently trying the sunflower sprouts and the microgreens radish, arugula, fenugreek and broccoli. I will try the Oceangrown liquid when it comes. Thanks for the direction on how to mix..

98. Stephanie says:

For ease – lentils. For taste – sunflower.

You guys rock. Love the green gooed Vitamix in the background. My fiance is always on my case to “rinse the d@mn Vitamix when you’re done!” Glad to know I’m not the only one. ๐Ÿ˜‰

99. Dina Knight says:

Great thread! Thanks Kevin & Ann Marie!

I’ve been sprouting and teaching about this for years. It’s def. one of the best ways to get greens into your diet, and there are so many ways to make them taste delicious! They are also awesome for weight loss and cancer fighting. Neat to use the oceangrown solution. I have a couple of videos on my website that I did for supreme master tv. that include how to sprout and also one with a spicy spirulina dressing that goes great on sprouts! Check them out for free! http://www.dinaknight.com/videos/

Love & Light,
    Chef Dina Knight

100. Gina Maria says:

Thank you very much..I will try the oceans..
    I used it in my garden last yr but never on sprouts. I will try that.

101. Joy says:

Wow, how awesome that everybody loves sprouts!

Just wanted to confirm that I have issues with broccoli sprouts, too – they don’t all seem to germinate, and the ones that do smell nasty. I have given up on them.

For anyone with space/bright light/metal concerns, again check out the sprout garden – it’s available via amazon or wheatgrasskits.com. I would definitely try the mason jar and screen combo if I didn’t have the space and bright light issues, but I love my sprout garden trays.

I also soak in a salt solution using either Celtic sea salt or Himalayan pink salt. I plan to try the ocean grown, too.

And, yes, the rinse water is great to reuse to water your houseplants.

YAY Sprouts!!!

102. Elaine says:

I love them all….but tell me, where do you buy sprouting sunflower seeds with the hulls on to grow in flats. You don’t use the already hulled sunflower seeds do you? I can’t seem to find any whole organic sunflower seeds to sprout. Is it okay to use birdfood sunflower seeds? Would appreciate any help.

Elaine

103. john says:

Kevin and Ann Marie EXCELLENT show-EXCELLENT. These make excellent projects for children in school or craft projects at vacation bible school for kids of all ages,who can learn indoor farming and one of the best foods to eat and many tasty varieties of them. #25 Excellent idea on a PEOPLES BASED / ORGANIZATION for doing a variety of various LABORATORY / RESEARCH TESTING . I fully concur with you provided it is in control of the PEOPLE.,and not eventually taken over by BIG BROTHER or their eventual influence. I enjoy Lentils made in a salad MONSTER SIZE, using olives,onion,dill, parsley,pepper,LOTS OF LEMON, seasoning -vegit-tastes delicious.

104. Jos says:

Favorites are sunflowers and alfalfa.

For the little screens, I bought some of plastic screen that they use in needlework. I found mine in Michaels. It exists in different sizes of holes. Pretty cheap too! and easy to cut with scissors.

105. Susan says:

I really love alfafa
    and broccoli sprouts, but my daughter and I like micrgreens like broccoli, pea, mixed greens. They are easy to grown in a small amout of soil. Last year at our farmers market some one grow basil micrgreens and they are the best thing to put in a salsd or on a sandwich.

Susie

106. Ladan says:

This is the weirdest thing because its like u guys are reading my mind! I just started sprouting a week ago and in comes ur sprout video! I love the mesh idea so im going to try it..anne-marie, u might wanna make some mung bean sprouts for kevin cause he can munch on those in 2 to 3 days while u wait for the other sprouts..i just love you guys ๐Ÿ™‚

107. Mila Ilina says:

YES! I’m all about starting a spouting revolution!!! I love this show, would love to see more on indoor gardening, sprouting, wheatgrass, etc. My fave is sunflower and broccoli ๐Ÿ˜‰

Any ideas on how to prevent molding? I jar sprout as well but often get mold… and I live in the dry climate in Colorado???

Mila ๐Ÿ˜‰

108. Mila Ilina says:

Haha, meant to say sprouting revolution. Lol

109. Sydney says:

Instead of using mesh screen, I use fabric. I bought two yards of lace at Walmart for $.75 and it’s lasted a couple of years and I still have some left. There’s no worry about rust or metal shavings with fabric.

110. Janet says:

My favorite sprouts are clover sprouts. They are more dense than alfalfa yet light on the taste buds enough to go with anything.

To prevent molding I mix a few drops of food grade hydrogen peroxide in the water and rinse the sprouts with this.

111. Evelin Ledebuhr says:

In regards to sprouting. You can sprout anywhere! I sprouted both water and soil sprouts while traveling across the country in my mini van. When I stopped at rest stops, etc., I would put the sprouts out to get sunshine. I even sprouted soil free sprouts while back packing. That would be strong sprouts, like fenugreek, chick peas and lentils. I would not bring them to the leaf stage, just to the tiny tail stage.
    “Where there’s a will there’s a way.”
    Evelin

112. Evelin Ledebuhr says:

Be careful not to use non-food grade plastics with food. You may get more than you bargan for in your food. The same goes for screen material in homemade dehydrators or sprouting. Know the material you’re using, so you don’t contanminate your food with toxic metals or plastics. As we have seen from the many recalls of toys, etc. from China, lead is used in a lot of things that are not meant for use with food.
    Evelin

113. Evelin Ledebuhr says:

In regards to were to buy sun flower seeds.
    I have been buying sunflower seeds sold as bird seed for almost 20 years. I was told that seed that is sold as bird seed is not sprayed. the birds don’t tolerate the sprays well. Also I can get a better variety and it costs less.
    I like the medium sized striped sunflower seeds, their sprouts are not as peppery tasting as the small black sunflower seeds. Also, I get better sprouting results with the medium sized striped sunflower seeds than the large striped seeds.
    The large striped seeds produce my favorite sunflower sprouts.
    When you buy bird seed you will need to sort out waste and debri, especially if you are not sprouting in soil.
    I hope this helps new people to sprouting.
    Evelin

114. Beth says:

I have been sprouting for about 6 months now, but have only tried alfalfa and a “spicy mix”. We really like them, and go through about a batch a week. We have been alternating which batches, and just “harvested” our spicy mix last night.

I sprout using a nut milk bag. I started with a sprouting bag, but found that the bag stayed too wet for my liking. No problems with the nut milk bag though.

We even got my parents started on it with the alfalfa sprouts. Now they are enjoying growing it indoors and saving money on their grocery bill too ๐Ÿ™‚

115. Chris & Sara says:

Sunflower Sprouts!!

Aloha~

C&S

116. Sunflower Sprouts!!

We tried a couple years ago to sprout in a jar in Az and they got slimy and moldy. I think I put too much in thereโ€ฆ

Thanks for the show you inspired us to try again!! Everybody makes it look so easyโ€ฆ.

Aloha~

C&S

117. Mari says:

This was great and rehabilitated my desire to sprout seeds again. I stopped
    because I felt it was too much work…but truth is it’s not really.
    Mung Beans used to be my favorite.
    Thank you!

118. Sharon says:

I’ve been sprouting for a while, and my fave is alfalfa! I use plastic screening with my ball jars. Since it doesn’t stay in place like the metal kind, I just cut it larger than the lid, which screws over it and holds it in place without any problem.

Since the alfalfa seeds are so small, I start them off in a jar with polyester tulle (think ballerina tutus)from the fabric store. I found a 1/2 yard remnant for 70 cents – so very economical!

Cumin seeds are good mix in, but super spicy!

119. Chuck says:

Hello Kevin:

Why type of seeds do you recommend for juicing? I have read that certain seeds work better than others but have not found any specifics.

120. Jill says:

That was a very interesting video, thanks guys! The only sprouts I have ever eaten were on a sandwich that I got at Panera Bread (I think they were alfalfa) and both my mom’s friend and I (she is real health conscious person)got sick on them, so never again! Plus they tasted bitter and nasty.

121. Glenda says:

I love lots of different sprouts, I like to combine them.

I’ve been reading that the hulls may have nutrients, so I haven’t been removing them. Except the sunflower hulls, of course.

122. Kat says:

Great video, you two! I love all sprouts, but radish sprouts are my favorite – YUM!!

Stephan (comment #4), you can get organic sunflower seeds from sproutman.com, or anyone who sells Sproutman seeds, like therawfoodworld.com.

Annmarie, your sprouts in the sink are still in the sun…do you throw a towel or something over the drainer to keep them in the shade? I used to do that, but now I just put them in a closet for the first few days so they’re in the dark – AND a note to myself in the kitchen window that says, “SPROUTS!” so I don’t forget about them. ๐Ÿ™‚

I use the Easy Sprout when I only have one batch going – love that thing. I use jars for more than one batch at at time (since I only have one Easy Sprout), and I love to sprout buckwheat groats in a nut mylk bag.

Kevin, your mesh screen lids look so nice! Rene, I don’t see those lids on your website. For my screen, I use the little mesh bags that organic garlic, etc. come in; and for my ring (since the regular metal ones do rust after a while) I use the rubber band they use to wrap celery or broccoli at Whole Foods. I hate throwing that stuff away, I have quite a collection! ๐Ÿ˜‰

123. Nicole says:

We love Red Clover sprouts from Whole Foods. They last an easy 3 weeks in the fridge and my 8 year old son loves them. We have tried other sprouts but they never seem to last very long. Why these do I don’t know but they are worth it. We put them on everything. One question though, have you ever used cheesecloth for the screen?

Love the show!

124. Linda says:

After reading (in the book “Nourishing Traditions” by Sally Fallon) the cautions about eating alfalfa sprouts, I am not sprouting alfalfa seeds any longer. This is what she writes, “Tests have shown that alfalfa sprouts inhibit the immune system and can contribute to inflammatory arthritis and lupus. Alfalfa seeds contain an amino acid called canavanine that can be toxic to man and animals when taken in quantity. (Canavanine is not found in mature alfalfa plants; it is apparently metabolized during growth.)” (p. 113). By the way, this book is a comprehensive resource for anyone interested in fermented foods. Although alfalfa had been my favorite, I bought some sprouting sunflowers at the natural foods store and I am going to try those soon. I have tried broccoli sprouts and didn’t like them at all. Lentils sound intriguing! I always sprout in a glass canning jar with cheesecloth held on by the metal lid ring. I, too, am only interested in what is true, so I hope that this information helps someone out there.

125. Lila says:

Sprouting is so much fun. The best thing is you can do as little or as much as you’ll need and still have it fresh. Sprout too much add sprouts (any kind) to your bread recipe!!!!
    Raw-um-a-licious!!!! A mixed sprout salad is also good with any raw dressing!!!
    Lila

126. Cherie says:

I would like any sprout that grows and does not mold! You have inspired me and I will try again. I will be getting some screening today.

127. Jeni says:

Hi Anne Marie and Kevin

I think that buckwheat has got to be the most versatile one as it can be dried out and used as part of a breakfast with other sprouted foods as well as grinding it up for some wicked biscuit snacks.

128. Catiya says:

Don’t throw out your sprouting water! Use it, esp with OceanGrown, on your houseplants or container plants, they will love you! Also, I tend to do the final pouring off of the rinse water slowly and carefully so as to keep the seeds all together and not too clumped on the screen so that they will stay moist and not dry up all by themselves stuck to the glass and then wrap the jar in a towel and leave the jar on a slant. I only rinse once a day, more is good but it is enough if you are away or too busy. Yes, I also have had trouble with sprouting broccoli seeds too.

129. Sue says:

I love sprouts! Great post! They make me feel so alive. I have been eating lentil sprouts lately, they are so filling and tasty. Here is a recipe I love! http://www.bewellwithsue.com/sprouted-lentil-salad-recipe/

Happy Sprouting!
    Sue

130. Sprouting is God’s little miracle – it has cured me of all my ills. To pick a favorite? That would be tough….I think garbanzos are fun – they can be eaten like nuts :-)Lentils are yummy all types. Tiny seeds – to make greens – make the freshest dishes. And grains are so much easier to eat after sprouting. AND it is so fun to watch God’s blessings grow!

131. Em says:

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

much love

132. vicki says:

I love sunflower sprouts!

FYI: you could put rubber bands around your glass jars while you’re moving to keep them from rattling against each other.

133. Ann Marie Huntington says:

I love sprouting!!!
    Just curious.. how come you and Ann Marie don’t wear wedding rings?

134. Joan says:

I have sprouted mung beans, alfalfa seeds, fenugreek seeds, chick peas, lentils…had trouble with the soy too – didn’t sprout for me – mung means are my favorite. I use the glass jars with pieces of panty hose over the top held on by rubber bands – works for me and don’t have to worry about rust! I haven’t had a mold problem…also lay the jars sidewise after drained rather than upside down in a drainer. Great in my salads every day – really adds something to them! Such an easy way to add fresh and wholesome food to my diet!

135. Rebecca says:

I love sunflower sprouts with alfalfa, redclover, fenugreek, and quinoa sprouts mixed together as a salad!

136. Phyllis says:

Great video! Thank you so very much Kev & Annmarie. I love a “mixture” of sprouts. And I will start to sprout my own more.

137. Sorry if i missed this but how big are the jars that you use? I see they sell 16oz, 32oz, 64oz, etc.