Which is Better: Juicing or Blending – The Renegade Health Show Episode #506

Tuesday Feb 16 | BY |

This is an age-old debate…

Which is better: juicing or blending.

Today, I put a new spin on it that you may not have heard before. I also answer questions like does a centrifugal juicer destroy nutrients, my thoughts on the Champion Juicer and more!

Your question of the day: What are you skeptical about?

If you want to fill out an application for our 30 Day Renegade Health Transformation, please click here!

1. Sara says:

EFT tapping! I’d love to see it work though.

HAHAHA that meow was awesome.

2. Nancy S says:

Hi Kevin:
    You didn’t mention the Norwalk juicer. I’m skeptical about that juicer also. Do you think it really preserves the nutrients for 48 hours like it claims?

3. Henrik says:

I’m skeptical about Daniel Vitalis so called “raw water”.
    I’m sure it’s good water, but I fail to see how it would benefit anyones health enough to be worth the money.

4. May Blom says:

I didn’t think I was skeptical about anything until I just thought of my acupuncturist and Chinese herbs that he sells. I wonder if they really are effective towards the ailment or problem area you have……

5. Andrew Norris says:

Just love your show Kev, you keep such a clear head. And I just like you too 😀

I was wondering are you sure it is fine to mix juice in with something blended. As this will be adding fiber – which may affect how the juice is absorbed. As the reason we juice is to remove the fiber to allow it to absorb? Just a thot for you. Like you like it’s important we say what is on our mind; we all get to the truth better!

6. Dave says:

Sara,

The results you get with EFT depend a lot on how you approach it. EFT is just one application of energy medicine, and I would recommend reading as much as you can about energy medicine generally to help you get the feeling for what it’s about. Donna Eden has some great materials for giving an introduction to energy medicine. The EFT tapping routines sure seem regimented and weird. If you keep trying, give it some time, and kind of like eating the foods that work the best for you, just keep doing what works for you in the area of EFT. It’s something that you personalize. There’s no rules, really. You don’t have to do it in any particular way.

Dave

7. Cathy Frank says:

Answer: the colon cleanse irrigation thing.

about juicing – i appreciate your saying this what we do. I’d like to hear @ others too. I juice primarily in the summer from my garden and purchased organic produce using about 15 different fruits and veggies (I wonder about the sugar thou) I add cinnamon and ground flax seeds to the mix – not to appetizing to my family, but I love it. For winter, I do a green powder, yogurt, berry smoothie – I add magnesium powder and a little banana for the added mineral punch – plus the flax seeds. Any thoughts??

8. Andrea says:

VERY skeptical about:
    1. the theory of evolution
    2. man-made global warming
    3. “fair and balanced” controlled media

9. Kuru says:

I’m definitely skeptical about Kevin’s comments about carrots being too sweet to juice. Carrots were the beginning of the juicing revolution back in Dr. Walker’s day! They are loaded with minerals, and have been giving people back their health since the ’70’s or before. And I’ve read research that carrots are actually LOW glycemic index foods and are GOOD FOR YOUR BLOOD SUGAR! The study goes on to say that carrots contain so few carbohydrates (5-7 percent) that to spike blood sugar you would have to eat at least one and half pounds at one sitting. Carrot juice has healed so many conditions, we really need to restore it back to its position of high esteem. I do dilute my carrot juice with celery because it too has so many amazing benefits, and tastes so delicious.

10. Sara says:

Question:

Have you ever eaten something when you’re not well – and from then on, that particular food is never appealing again?

Or if you bite into a rotten food accidentally – only to have that same effect?

That’s happened to me with several things that I used to LOVE – things like celery-apple juice [ among other home made juices ], cucumbers, ripe bananas, etc. [ Having Crohn’s disease keeps me nauseated – and keeps ruining foods for me. ]

It’s such a bummer. Might you have any ideas for how to reverse this? I used to LOVE those foods, but now I have a really hard time consuming them. Which makes cooked foods a lot more tempting.

11. Victoria says:

Lemon? To sweeten???

12. sharon says:

I love my champion juicer. I use it every day, and I blend almost daily as well. I agree, they are both good for you!

13. brian says:

When metal touches food particles such as a metal knife cutting an apple, they may be catalyst for oxidation and browning. That is why some people recommend ceramic knife.

I am kind of skeptical of the safety of the high iron content in spirulina. When I checked the nutrition label, each serving has a lot of iron but I don’t know if the absorption would be well regulated. Spirulina also has twice the bioavailability of iron as other plant source.

14. Wendy says:

I am skeptical about so called ‘super foods’ and about coffee enemas. 🙂

15. Margaret DuBois says:

100 percent raw:
    People say they are 100 percent raw.

What does 100 percent raw mean to you?
    What is your defination?

Some people say they are 100 percent raw and they are obviously not.

All those supplement and powders are certainly not raw. I am suprised they haven’t been called down for this by everyone else.

16. Jeanne says:

I’m skeptical that I will gain weight juicing fruits. Like a pineapple a day!

17. Koa says:

Good point: Juice or blend if it works for you and you DO it. I’m skeptical about any oil which is isolated from the whole food, like olive oil, being good for you.

18. Jodi says:

I am skeptical about food combining. My daughter is taking a nutrition class. Okay, it’s mainstream. But they address this idea specifically and insist that the stomach is able to efficiently digest more than one food or one type of food at a time.

19. RJ says:

To: Sara and Dave,

Here is a link to a FREE (online audio)(EFT)Meridian Tapping Summit on February 21,2010…I am skeptical about this, but as always, curious.
    Kevin…thanks for your very informative and energetic show on juicing!! Happy travels to you and Annmarie and the little one.:)

20. Jackie says:

I hear a lot about the benefits of turmeric. I also hear you can make it into a tea. It stains everything so bad that I am skeptical as to how many people use it every day. I just thinlk that a lot more people would be walking around with yellowed teeth.

21. Tomi says:

Hi All,
    Thanks for the great information – as usual.

I’m skeptical about “super” foods. I have yet to get benefit from them, and I wonder if they are a brilliant marketing plan. I have transformed my health with foods and juicing – regular raw fruits and veggies – so far so good.

Question:

What is the cause of dark circles under the eyes – and what can be done about it? I have been juicing for over a year and eating a high percentage raw diet, have lost over 80 pounds – and look and feel great. Problem – the dark circles make me look old and tired when I am really feeling pretty good. What do you think?

22. Steph says:

Henrik took the words right out of my month. I’m skeptical of “raw water”

23. Hi Kevin, I like your show a lot – you seem to have a lot of common sense, which is in short supply in the “health guru” industry. I have a hard time listening to most programs of this type, but enjoy you and Anne Marie.

It is uncanny how whenever I am ready to consider a particular issue, you do a show on it! I am planning to go to my local Home and Garden show day after tomorrow, with the possibility of purchasing a new Vita Mix, and I have been thinking of the differences between juicing and blending. (I already own one of the old stainless steel Vita Mix versions that I bought at the State Fair of Texas 25 years ago.) Pretty cool that you did a show about this today!

I like to juice my fruits and veggies, but completely agree with you about the Champion Juicer. Not really a very good product at all – for so many reasons (don’t get me started)! We have had one for about 20 years and do wish I had known of other types of machines before we bought it. We have it now, though, and we make do with it; just like you say – juice is a great supplement, even if the machine is a little rough. I have never heard of the “Green Star” juicer, but will certainly check it out for future reference.

WHAT AM I SKEPTICAL ABOUT??? To be honest, I am skeptical that all people can get a truly balanced diet by eating only vegan foods. It makes sense to me, that we need a full spectrum of foods, including animal foods. Our family tried a vegan diet about 20 years ago, and my little son did not thrive and ended up sick and anemic. I felt so bad that by doing something that was meant to be good for him, I inadvertently made him ill. Maybe I did it wrong, or maybe a vegan diet is not as good for some people as it is for others, but in our family, it seemed to hurt more than it helped. Adding grass fed, pastured meats and raw, grass fed dairy products back into our diet improved our health considerably. But, as I said before, your perspective interests me more than anything I have heard in a long time – and I might be persuaded to try again – at least temporarily. Maybe because you are not full of yourself like so many people in your profession are – I hope you never lose that refreshing quality.

24. jason says:

Kuru, it would be very easy to consume a pound and a half of carrots as juice, in one sitting. I’m not saying it’s an issue, just pointing that out.

25. Mike Pacione says:

wow alot of great “skepticism” and questions!

im skeptical about the whole colon cleanse info. as well as the whole “need your nutrients, eat eat eat!” thing. Like it always makes me feel like im not getting enough! I try to make my juices as healthy and explosive with nutrients and superfoods as possible, but is there somewhere to draw the line? How and when do u know where to draw the line and how much is too much?
    Just skeptical about the whole ‘lack’ in our diets, thats all

great show kev
    thanks
    mike

26. mark e says:

What a great question! I’m so glad you asked it! I’ll tell you what I’m skeptical about. Two things, actually.

One, the most basic claim of all raw food argument: that cooking kills enzymes and nutrients. Over the past year I’ve read six or seven books and scores of websites and articles about raw foodism and everyone repeats this claim but I’ve never seen it backed up. I’ve just seen it stated as fact over and over again like a mantra. Is it really so? Where’s the proof?

Two, superfoods. I sometimes buy them and include them in things like smoothies. But mostly I see them and think, “marketing gimmick; the latest-hyped fad for getting into health nuts’ wallets.” I really appreciate the people who primarily argue for a return to basic, natural, whole-foods eating. I feel like they’re in it for my well-being without an angle for profit which necessarily colors their argument. Anybody else feel that way?

27. I’m skeptical that it is possible to prepare satisfying and filling healthy meals for my family on a low budget (or any budget for that matter). Everything I try backfires–if I don’t make something starchy or meaty, hubby goes out and buys ice cream or chips or makes buttery parmesan popcorn (and if it’s in the house I want it). If I make meals they are happy about, then I feel guilty and unwell. If they’re eating tasty stuff, I want it too. It’s one thing to buy healthy (or healthier) stuff but it’s quite another to satisfy everyone with it.

The kids are old enough to prepare food, so they are baking. If I don’t buy sugar and white flour, they are unhappy. They make their own meals mostly of pasta and often don’t want to eat what I make. Hubby will eat anything I make (usually) but then if it’s not satisfying, he supplements as I said above. Vicious circle.

On top of all that, as if it weren’t enough, I am trying to prepare for survival when the economy collapses and we’ll be lucky to have food at all. I am dehydrating vegetables but don’t know how I am going to make them tasty. I am saving rice and beans, but don’t cook with them much because the kids don’t really care for it. You get the picture!

This is a biggie for a lot of people!

28. Oh Yes, I agree with Kuru about juicing carrots and other sugary fruits and veggies. I am diabetic, but for some reason, juicing carrots and even oranges on a daily basis will actually lower my blood sugar in the long term. (Grains and processed desserts seem to be the big danger foods for my blood sugar levels.) My whole family got a cold this week and we were all well within 3 days because I juiced a whole case of oranges. Sometimes I will add lemons and limes to the juice mix, and that cuts the sugar some, but I don’t seem to get any ill effects from fresh raw juice, even if it is sweet. I guess everyone is different, and I don’t know why it works this way for me, but I do well with a variety of juices – the sweet as well as the green.

29. Catherine says:

I am not skeptical about anything. I try to be open, curious, and do what feels right for me. Explore, try different things and don’t waste energy slamming others or arguing your point. This is not about being right, it’s about living as healthy as we can. You can eat great and still be unhealthy if you don’t think well (free of negativity, stress, etc) and move well. As Kevin says, if you are watching this show, you are doing better than most people in the world to be healthy and not further strain our health care system. You are all awesome.

30. RJ says:

Cheers to your health, Catherine!

31. Michael T. says:

Great show, Kevin. I like the way you encourage people to do what works for them, and not get dogmatic about things.

I’m skeptical about claims that the strict vegan diet is healthier than an omnivorous diet. I understand the need to avoid factory farmed meat that is full of strange chemicals, but there are healthy animal foods out there, such as grass-fed goat milk and wild Alaskan salmon.

Also, I don’t know of any strict vegans who are 100 years old, do you? Seems like vegans die at about the same age as everyone else.

In a recent email, you mentioned the issues of protein and iron, but another key issue is DHA and other essential fats. I wonder how strict vegans are going to get enough DHA. Please look into this issue.

Michael T.

32. Good Points, Michael T! I would like to hear Keven talk about this. Perhaps he has done so before I started watching the show. If so, sorry for being redundant. I just would like to understand why some people stay healthy on a vegan diet, while others require some animal foods.

33. Hi Kevin

I used to have a juicer, but I don’t anymore. I do have a blender, but I don’t use it much (mostly for salad dressings/sauces). I was making green smoothies for a while, but now I prefer to have a salad.

I do not “buy” into the need for superfoods, as the whole fruits and vegetables are the true SUPER FOODS. I did dabble in all the hype of the latest and greatest raw food products (packaged and prepared snacks, treats, etc) that aren’t the whole, fresh, ripe, organic, water-rich fruits and green leafy vegetables that are the best for our body.

Also, visit my blog http://www.rawsomegal.wordpress.com and read about my 42 day cleanse using coconut water and stevia in my water, and finished mid-January. I have also written about my transition back to food. I continue to write about health related topics and post daily (off on weekends). To read about my cleanse from day 1, click on December 2009. Share this with others who may be interested and I love to receive comments.

Namaste
    Chef Mindy aka Ageless Raw Beauty

34. Garrett says:

Skeptical:

1) Himalayan Sea Salt. Are there toxic metals in there too? No? How do you know? 200 million years ago… how do we know if there are not 1000 volcanic eruptions laying down all kinds of nasty stuff? Plus, who can we trust?

2) All these vendors. Everyone and their brothers are jumping on the raw-foods selling bandwagon. So, it’s a mad rush to be out there selling, selling, selling… but, is the quality getting skirted? (Case in point: all the vendors who got caught up in the “raw” cacao scandal recently where the cacao was actually getting COOKED horribly during the processing)… Basically, it’s a huge conflict of interest to be advising people and to be in a position of “authority” yet simultaneously hawking products. The temptation is there…

3) Cacao. Lots and lots and lots of HYPE. But, is it addictive? Is it toxic?

4) Agave Nectar. I don’t care how much marketing schmooze gets laid on top of it all, it’s still a sugar bomb! Plus, how can you know for sure that YOUR vendor is supplying the good stuff (not cooked, not fiddled with, not overly processed, etc., etc.)?

5) All these superfoods that come from the sea (or fresh water)… kelp, algae, etc., etc. How do we know that we’re not ingesting a ton of toxic crap from the polluted waters?

That should be a good start! Love your show, Kev!

Best wishes ALL,

Garrett

35. Oscar says:

Hey Kevin
    I have had a Champion for more than 25 years, and it’s still kicking.
    Since it’s a masticating juicer I can take the fiber right from the exhaust nozzle
    and add some back into the juice, thus making it more like a blended smoothie.
    By replacing the screen with the solid cover I make my own frozen fruit “sherbet”

Oscar

36. Andrew Zubriczky says:

I am most skeptical about all those over- hyped and sensationalized vitamin and supplement warehouses on the net, masquareding as true sources of good health.

They are nothing but cheap sourced products of commercial grade, packaged with fillers and other bonding agents thrown together. Priced to sell! Not to heal!

37. Jo says:

I’m with Mike from post #24……what’s the deal with the colon cleanses?! Can you do a show on this topic because I really would like to know what you and Annemarie think about it. IF we are eating whole foods, juicing, “smoothieing”, wouldn’t our colons cleanse themselves? Why are so many people talking about this? Thanks! Jo

38. Heyward says:

Hurom slow juicer! “Hew-rom slow juicer!” anyone else in love with Angela Monarch?

“what are you skeptical about?”

I am skeptical about…hrm. I am skeptical about…yeah, Vitalis’ “raw water.”

39. jackie says:

I’m a little skeptical about colon cleanses. I’m also skeptical about those medals or whatever they’re called that people wear or put on their cellphones to stop the EMT’s (I think that’s the right acronym?) from causing tumors in their brains and etc. I wish you’d do a show on this. The protectors are expensive and seem to be too good to be true. Some people even buy them for their houses. Do they really protect us? And if they do, then we all probably do need them!

40. Willamena says:

I can safely say,after reading todays comments that the majority of you (75-80%)are
    unfortunately totally ignorant about your own personal health.
    Optimum health is a major committment
    that requires enormous perserverance,in terms
    of adding and mostly SUBTRACTING from the
    standard fare that has been sold to us as FOOD.(meaning sustainable/life force material)
    EVERY SINGLE PERSON needs to do their own personal food “boot-camp”to see what effect(s)
    a particular food has on their very sensitive anatomy.This may,in some cases, take inordinate amounts of time to get the desired but ALWAYS 100% “I know how I feel “results.
    Habits(good and bad) are the hardest and most challenging of all human behavior.AMEN.

PS Daniel Vitalis is light-years ahead of the pack ! Listen to him and grow……

41. Irina says:

What am I skeptical about?
    Honestly, that everyone can thrive on a vegan diet, or 100% raw diet for that matter, also man-made global warming theory, theory of evolution, the China study, Whole Foods claims about the sources of their organic locally grown produce, or “grass fed, free-range” anything, and “superfoods”. I used to be skeptical about EFT, but changed my mind once I saw it work for me and my family.
    I am definitely not skeptical about this show – I’ve learned a ton since it’s start and definitely improved my diet more than I was ever able to before.

42. Mary Artemis says:

Mike Adams is advertising a new revolutionary juicer (think it begins with an ‘H’). Have you heard or do you have any opinions on it?
    Mary from Stamford

43. Joyce Braun says:

haha, juicing must be in the air… i’ve been asking about this alot lately!

I’m juicing and blending, depends on how i feel. i juice with a blender and a nut milk bag, so i love your ‘dont worry about it’ attitude. suppose i should just relax and not worry that i dont have that amazing omega juicer, because i am still doing something good for my health.

I am also skeptical of colon irrigation and enemas etc… if our bodies thrive on natural raw foods, isnt it natural that it will take care of cleaning itself out? We always talk about how we didnt have ovens in the old days… well, did we have enema bags? it just doesnt seem natural. Raw foods are working for me, so i just dont think I’ve got stuff stuck up my rear end that I have to pay someone hundreds of dollars to get out! lol 🙂

I’d love to know what you think… off to search the old shows!

I love your show too.. I spent a big chunk of my day watching old episodes! I had to laugh when in one you talked about motivating yourself to get moving and off the computer lol

44. Dee says:

if you juice in a blender which leaves the pulp in and then you drink it surely the digestive enzymes in your mouth won’t get chance to work as they would when you chew your food so wouldn’t this put a stain on your stomach.

Dee

45. Ladan says:

SO HERE’S THE DEAL: there’s no question that raw foods are an incredible asset to being healthy..but i often wonder how there’s so many really old people in the world that ate a ton of almost everything and they live to be a 100 or more! my grandmother never went on any particular type of diet, ate pretty much everything in moderation (this included meat/dairy/veggies etc.) and lived in her own house until she passed away at 96(due to a medical error)! so as much as i love love the concept of raw and limiting alot of undesired foods..how did they eat it all and live so long? u gotta wonder sometimes! peace and love to all.

46. Jo Smith says:

– EFT is Rockin’ Awesome! I use it when my esophogus spasms and I can’t get any air. I also use it at night to pre-program my body to not stop breathing during the night (I have sleep apnea) and I find I get my best sleep when I do. I’ve had it do amazing things when my sinuses were swollen shut.

– I did an Arise & Shine internal cleanse when I was first diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome that was AMAZING! I felt like I was 10 years younger at the end of 5 weeks.

What am I skeptical about? Raw Cacao that has alcohol in it. I bought a raw food bar today and I could tell there was alcohol in it by the way it tasted. If alcohol isn’t good for you, why is raw alcohol used with Cacao?

47. Tanya says:

First of all, I love being raw vegan for so many reasons. BUT, I often wonder about the long term viability healthwise of it, and wonder about other dietary modes like daniel vitalis’ surthrival diet? Is there any conclusive information, or are we always going to get “do what’s right for you” an answer?:)

48. Kuru says:

Maybe if you’ve been raw and eaten clean all your life, you don’t have need for enemas or colonics. I had a health crisis years ago from stress and poor eating (meat and sugar). I credit a series of colonics, regular veggie juice and yoga with getting me back on track. I still get colonics occasionally and am always glad with the results. I know one time I was having such a hard time getting over a relationship. I had a colonic and all the angst went with it!

49. Jon says:

I would say I am skeptical about a vegan diet being healthy for everyone. Some people may do well on it, but I still think grassfed beef, free range chicken and eggs, and grassfed milk products are very healthy for most people.

To the person feeling sick with certain foods, I can sympathize! This has happened to me lately. I am finding relief by doing a parasite cleanse called PARATREX. I seem to be getting an appetite back.

I second the desire to know what’s up with dark eye circles, even when eating and living really healthy, drinking plenty of water, and sleeping well???

Thanks Kevin for your great information!

50. bethany says:

Great show today and great comments also. Loved that meow at the end! I’m a little skeptical about the drug caffeine being all that bad for the body. Can it safely be used in moderation for some people?

51. Usha Sunrise says:

Wonderful show, Kevin! Great points about renegaders overall being on a healthy diet. I am skeptical about people trying to make a profit out of other people using their position. NOT talking about you, you guys are awesome and you keep an open view and a sane head and I love that about you guys! Keep it up : )

52. Dark circles under your eyes comes when you have a lot of old undigested starch (could be ancient) in your transverse colon and also old processed oils. This will clear up as you persist. Could also be pollution from oils you put on your body or candle wax in the air or smoke from fire inhaled.

Citrus decalcifies. Please read AnnMarie Colbin’s Foods that Heal. It may be alkaline if it’s tree ripened, and not picked prematurely and color enhanced, but it becomes acid within 10 minutes after juicing. The bones give up their calcium to buffer this acidity. Nails become brittle, soft and tear easily when lemon is used. This is an inflammatory fruit – joints will swell and hurt and you will crave oil to sooth the burn. It will dissolve the endothelial lining of your arteries, as will the oil, and your white blood cells will jump down into the void, gobble up the acid/oil, morph into a foam cell and that, if there is an aflotoxin from something like peanut butter, (except for one brand, present, is the beginning of cancer, according to Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn in his book Heal and Prevent Heart Disease with a Plant Based Diet. Read more at http://www.rawdoctors.com or RawFriends.com.

53. Manwel says:

To prevent oxidization after juicing the vegies or fruit: Pour contents straight into a Tupperware container right to the top, removing any air and place the lid on, refrigerate and should last about 4 hours more or less.

54. Linda Miller says:

Dr. Donaldson of Hallelujah Acres did a comparison of juicers and amount of enzymes in juice with each type of juicer. There is also an article on the effect of carrot juice affects on blood glucose. Go to hacres.com, click on Library at the top, and then click on Research Studies.

55. John says:

I am skeptical of supplements as a whole. I understand that they help with some nutrient levels in the body, but i have a hard time believing that they can really be that beneficial to your health, especially considering the huge amount of money spent on them anually. Animals in nature do not take any supplements to my knowlege.

56. Steve says:

I too had a Champion juicer. It’sthe worst juicer I ever had. The pulp was always very wet, it was difficult to assemble and disassemble. In the Uk it’s much more expensive than something like the Omega, which in my opinion is 10 times better than the Champion.

The Champion has been around for years and lots of people seem to buy it just because they’ve heard of the name, not because it’s any good.

57. Nancy Zare says:

Not only did I like the show, I also appreciated reading the comments above mine. Many people expressed skepticism with the same things that I think about. when I was younger I had more certainty about how things worked. As I’ve gotten more experience, I realize how unique each individual is. As a result, what works for one person may not work for another. This is why each of us must consider ourselves a scientist and experiment regularly. Gather information, form a hypothesis, then test one action, note the results, and modify as necessary. I applaud you Kevin for urging your audience to use medical tests as a way to measure how each of us stacks up. Then make decisions how to improve your health from there. The goal is not 100% raw. It’s 100% healthy! The only way any of us can truly know our state of health is through an autopsy, and once that happens, we have no choice to change! The best advise I can offer a person who is seeking optimal health is remain open-minded as you collect and analyze information. Experiment on yourself. Maintain and enhance your connection with Source Energy. Most of all, enjoy the journey!!

58. Irlanda Borquez says:

Hi Kevin, I love your show, love your energy, it’s amazing, you remind me of myself! my husband says I appear to be high all the time! I know it’s because of the whole fresh foods, some cooked, the great majority uncooked, mostly vegan, yoga, sunshine, BUT, I am skeptical about the raw foods turning you into a superhuman with no chance of getting ill, because though I haven’t had a cold in four years I recently was diagnosed with lichen planus which cause is unknown and there is no cure, just the use of corticosteroids to control it. So right know I’m off gluten, having less fruit, lots of greens and the thing doesn’t dissapear, but I’m grateful is only located in the back of my right leg above the knee, so, I won’t complain.

59. Sarah says:

I am also skeptical that I personally could thrive on a 100% raw vegan diet. I do eat high raw, no dairy, and very little wheat, but I continue to eat grass fed meat and cage free organic eggs, which seems to work well for my body. I wonder if this plays into the blood type diet at all, since I am a type O. I am curious what blood type people are who thrive on a raw vegan diet… are there any O’s out there?

60. I am skeptical about supplements and exotics. If we blend and juice, why do we need vitamins, and berries from AU, and salt from mountain tops, and sea vegs from Japan. Now even God’s abundant sunshine isn’t enough!!

Also, hubby just reduced his cholesterol 50 pts with a vegan diet. We have been vegan only this year. However, My parents are 85 and healthy. His parents died at 85 and 92. They ate SAD.
    So why are we vegan?

61. Marie1225 says:

Hi Kev,

As far as nutrition goes, I am not skeptical about anything, atleast ot yet. You and Annmarie are straight shooters, if you like something you tell us, or not you tell us too.

Again I love the fact that the only thing you are dogmatic about is eating healthy, and that we are all learning and growing. You don’t put anyone down, you encourage.

Thanks for putting my thoughts of getting that Champion juicer to rest. Now if I were to receive it as a gift, that is another story 🙂

I do however, want a Vitamix. Two homeshows are coming to Raleigh and I’m going to see if they have a good deal.

So I may go for the Omega juicer on craigslist then. I agree any fresh juice has got to be better than the pasteurized stuff in the bottle on the shelf.

Thanks for everything,

Marie

62. Nicole says:

Hi,

Since I have lost my job, I have not been able to buy completely organic foods as often so I have turned to frozen fruits for my smoothies (not organic) and was thinking of frozen veggies for the juicer like spinach(not organic). Should I avoid the frozen traditonal foods? Ex. I juice beets, carrots, apple, pineapple, orange, celery and cucumber all at once, if it is in the house. Should I be concerned if it is not all organic?

Thank you and I love the show!

63. Marie1225 says:

I meant I’m not skeptical about about anything you two have said.

Here’s something I am skeptical about, in fact someone on here mentioned it. In Matt Monarch’s newsletter he had advertised this “raw water.” C’mon, raw water, that’s kind of silly isn’t it?

As the other person said, I’m sure its good healthy water, but for $29 for a case of 6 I think it was, they can keep their water. I’d personally love a water ionizer. Kevin, what do you think about those?

Thanks,

Marie

64. David Barriga says:

Hello everyone,
    As always, great deal of useful/interesting comments, thanks!
    Since I started listening to Kevin and the helpful advice from his lovely annmarie, reminds me of a God sent healer, she was a very caring human,never asked or payment for her services, BUT! I would offer as much as posible. Believe me she was worth gold, reason? She cured my wife from MS. Man! what a relief, especially after coutnless doc/specialist could not do a damn thing, except charge money and the last words one said,’2-3 mos she will be on a wheelchair till the end. We need more people like you all and of course, Kevin, he earns points, cuase he recommends things like EFT, used it, IT works, and inteligent/caring health masters.

Note: No skipticism on the above comments, as some said, some things work for some and not for others-we are diferent from others. One complaint I do have; KICK the hell out of the FDA!

65. Carol Lani Johnson says:

I am sceptical about the wholeness of juicing – totally a man-made idea…no primates juice! So many more veggies/fruits are used than you could really eat, & the fiber is there for a reason. That is why I love the blending method…at least you get the whole food. I trust nature to give me what works best. I am sceptical about (esp raw) cacao being such an essential superfood! Sceptical about agave. Sceptical about needing to detox so much when eating raw (I believe raw is a detox) and I believe that thoughts are very important in quality of life. My aunt is in her late nineties (as my other aunt & uncle were), with a wide variety of foods. However, I am very sceptical that the current USA food industry can sustain long life! : ) thanks for asking. BTW, I heard Bryan Weil say that Dr. Oz is a true sceptic (in this case re: past-life regression) because he keeps his mind open while questioning, & is open to possibilities. That is what I mean by sceptical!

66. Karen says:

As I have never had one, and can’t afford it at the moment anyway, I am also skeptical of the need for colonics if one is getting lots of fiber rich raw fruits and veggies in their everyday diet. I can see if someone is on a “juice feast” for several weeks that they are not getting any fiber so may need to do this.
    I am also skeptical of the enzyme supplements as to the need for them if one is doing a 100% raw vegan diet. I would love to hear your thoughts on these.

67. L Sullivan says:

Skepitical about Bioresonance, and how it heals the body.

68. Elmer Fudd says:

Being vegan for health is good, being vegan out of compassion is great!

69. Rhonda D says:

#59 It was raw water in a bottle.

#56 I do have a friend that their blood type is O, tried to go raw with me and my blood type A+.
    They were feeling terrible so they whent back to eating meat and they are feeling great.

I find people in general are not getting in tune with there own bodies. We need to listen and get into how we feel when we consume foods.

Love the show great information

best wishes to all.

70. Joni says:

I’m skeptical about staying vegan. I have been vegan for two years only. It seems to be a better diet for keeping my cholesterol low (and I detest factory farming so I’m vegan for ethical reasons as well,) and my digestion is great, but lately I’ve been craving meat. I don’t understand why this is. I juice, I make green smoothies, I eat lots of fruits and veggies. I have to admit I gave in to some cooked meat the other day and right away the next day was constipated. I am finding also that it is SO difficult to have to prepare cooked foods including meat for hubby and 12 yr. old son while I’m eating my salad or veggies for dinner. I LOVE to cook so when I’m making any dish I try it to make sure it tastes OK before I serve it. Last night I had a bite of chicken piccata to check seasonings. I’m so confused and just don’t know what to do…one day someone says do NOT eat any grains; the next day someone says whole grains are very good for you. Legumes, no legumes? I know we’re supposed to do what works for us, but what if you don’t really know what works? I just want optimum health.

I’m also skeptical about all the supplements and herbs I take. Are they really working? Not sure if I feel any different, so maybe they’re working on a cellular level. Been taking them for years so am apprehensive to stop. Just had 30 vials of blood taken last week during my appt. with a new doctor so I’m curious to see if I’m deficient in anything.

71. Wonda says:

I sometimes wonder about fermented foods. What makes them different from beer, other alcholic beverages and vinegar? I’m interested in trying them, but I want to be sure they are safe. I am also skeptical about most green powders.

I have a Champion Juicer and it has served me well, however it is not my favorite. But for now it does the job.

In my experience with friends and family members with Diabetes, who drink fresh carrot juice, all do especially well and actually have significant reductions in their blood sugar levels.

Great point Kevin about both juicing and blending. Love your show!

God bless,
    Wonda

72. Robin says:

Skeptical about food combinations!!! Please, talk about your view on this, and the science behind it, please!!!

73. Kevin,

I’m wondering if you can tell me what you think about green juices such as Vital Greens versus green powder supplements. Is it just a matter of missing fiber in the Vital Greens? In my mind I think, “how can a liquid not begin to break down, wouldn’t it begin to lose nutrients due to normal bio-degrading?”

74. As long as people know the difference between the two (blending vs juicing) then they can make up their mind about which one is right for them. Juicing and blending have two VERY different benefits.

75. Rose Vasile says:

I’m skeptical about Kale Chips. I love eating them, but wonder if dehydrated kale has much nutritional value left. I don’t believe Kale Chips are detrimental to my health…I just question whether they have any benefit (other than satisfying cravings for crunchy foods).

76. Megan says:

Question for you about pregnancy (I know you don’t have kids, but maybe you’ll know the answer 🙂

My husband and I are going to try conceiving soon and I’m wondering about what kind of supplementation I should be taking, or if I need to take any at all. We have a friend who is an ND and we asked him this question, and he said to take a pregnancy vitamin. My husband asked if we could just juice instead, and he gave us a funny look and said “maybe, but I would still take the vitamin just in case.” What do you think: is there certain supplements I should take or could I juice instead?

Or if I am consuming 1 – 1 1/2 heads of greens a day (which I am currently doing with green smoothies and salads), do I simply not need to worry about it?

77. Carol Lani Johnson says:

I just listened to Kevin re: blending vs juicing…what he said. To me, juicing is fine as an occasional supplement, & is fun to get at natural food store jc bars, etc. Let them clean the juicer!
    One thing a Champion juicer is good for (since I have an old one in storage) is to make soft serve ice creme out of frozen bananas! An old natural food store cafe in Asheville used to serve the soft banana ice creme in a champagne glass (the wide type) with frozen green grapes for decoration…so refreshing & so beautiful ~ the grapes look all frosty.

78. Chris & Sara says:

We should all be skeptical in some way. We all need to take our own health in our own hands not someone else’s. Kev is just a pathway for us to ask more questions of ourselves. Lets all stop being so judgmental, the only one I need to worry about is ME.

PS – The reason that our grandmothers lived to 100 or their 90’s on a SAD, was because the SAD then and now is different. They didnt start on McDonalds at age 3! SA was not processed then like it is now. Just my thought. Whats yours?!?!

79. Holly Young says:

I am skeptical about most of the issues raised by other responses here, but more than anything else I am skeptical about the whole “superfoods” movement. Why can’t we try to eat locally and in season, like our ancestors. I personally thrive on a mostly vegetarian diet with some pasture raised meat and wild caught fish (both of which are abundant here in Northern California). Why do we need raw Manuka honey from New Zealand, for example, when there are perfectly good flowers and bees here that make honey? Eating local honey has been proven to help with seasonal allergies (as long as it’s raw, of course). I can go talk to the farmer and see the honey being made to assure myself that it’s raw. Are you going to fly to New Zealand to check on the Manuka honey? I just don’t like the movement towards buying all these packaged, dehydrated “superfoods” when we can get so much fresh, nutrient-rich produce locally.

80. Jacquie says:

Hi All! I’m especially skeptical of anything I hear on tv or read from “mainstream media.” I’m skeptical of the “Eat Right 4 Your Type” blood type diet books by Dr. Peter D’Adamo. Kevin, I sure would love for you to address this. I’m skeptical of anything that comes out of the mouth of any of the doctors I’ve seen to date. (A naturopath or alternative doctor in St. Louis MO? Ha!) I’m, very sadly, extremely skeptical of anything said by a government official. That is such a very sad thing to say.

81. sharon says:

I’m 67 years old, but I hope to live to 120 or so….mainly so I can be around when the last slaughterhouse closes. Anyway, I believe that “you are what you eat” and this has led me on differing diets. I used to follow Ayurvedic principles (except for the dairy part because I am strict vegan for humane reasons). In fact, an Ayurvedic practitioner told me that with my constitution, I should eat cooked, oily foods. He even said to cook my lettuce.

Now, with all the hype and all I’ve read about the health of a raw diet, I’m on that “kick.” You (Kevin) always say to try it and see how you feel. This doesn’t work for me. I truthfully don’t feel any different no matter what I eat. Granted I don’t eat Twinkies, but cooked food/raw food, grains/no grains, supplements/no supplements….I feel the same. The only difference I see is my weight. I have always been 5′ 9″ and weighed 120 lbs. Since I’ve been on (mostly) raw, I have lost a lot of weight and I don’t like being so skinny. There is nothing much fattening in a raw diet. So, what am I skeptical about? Is a 100% raw food diet the best for already very skinny people with high metabolisms? (Actually, you seem to be that type).

82. Radames Delgado says:

WOW!!!! great question! i don’t know if it is skeptical or just confusion; but i just do not know what/who to believe a lot of times. there is so much info now and sometimes quite different. for example, i love david wolfe, but he pushes SO MANY different products and claims that all are so ideal for optimal health; makes me feel almost guilty for not having all these products/supplements in my daily routine; and when i have gotten some of these, such as reishi mushroom complex, i do not notice a difference in the way i feel! also all his research on cacao compared to your research. really, this is just one small example of what i see as a lot of now in the raw food community. so much different info and products being pushed…..what to get, what research to believe???? i do really love you guys for always being so fresh and how you always just state that it is just “your opinion or experience”. your show is really easy to understand and to relate to; being able to take the great info and just apply it. so to help us, i would love the following question answered: speaking on products such as msm, e3live, spirulina, reishi, b12 supplement etc….etc…what do you suggest that we be getting on a daily basis? name a few of these that should always be in our pantry. love the show…thank you

83. sharon says:

BTW, my aunt lived to 103 and I never went to her house that she didn’t serve her fried chicken, mashed potatoes and chicken gravy. She said her secret to a long life was Fritos. grrr. why is that? Maybe it was because she had a great attitude and loved life.

84. Angelica says:

I am very sceptical about al those so called “superfoods” – some powdered things!!

85. Dawn B says:

Dark circles can be from genes, but it can also be from stress or a vitamin K deficiency.
    I’m skeptical of everything really – but really skeptical of nano-metals, of chlorine dioxide (Miracle Minerals), raw water, and a few other suspicious too-good sounding things.

Connie in comment #26: I’m in the same boat trying to balance best nutrition with disaster preparedness. It is hard to do. Btw. I’ve found that lentils, especially the red ones that dissolve, work great for people who don’t like beans because you can *hide* them in nearly everything.

86. Dawn B says:

I also don’t care for the term *superfood*. Really it should read as nutrient dense food rather than some hyped marketing term.

87. Carol says:

HI,

I am skeptical about myself! I was raw for 8 months then the winter came and it’s like “bathe me in chocolate and pizza.” I have been involved with health and healing for decades. I know a lot more than I do. I just can’t imagine swearing off anything like NEVER eating chocolate chip cookies again or whatever. There’s a big world out there-someone’s gotta eat it. Nah, I’m joking about that one (especially since people are getting bigger and bigger). But, still, I struggle with being totally disciplined all of the time. Especially working full time and running a home-how is one to keep up with smoothies/juicing/almond milk, etc.? I usually make a nice salad before leaving for work and bring a couple of fruits with me. Are nutrients still in the salad by lunch time? I have no idea. Living in the “real” world and maintaining a healthy diet is a challenge. I am skeptical that it can be done.

88. Ruth says:

I absolutely LOVE your show Kev and Anna and luv raw food but don’t have time to watch them all. Connie Lacelle, I feel your pain. I could say ditto on ALL your comments, where’s your phone #! I HALF agree on the Champion Juicer comments. Agreed, doesn’t juice the best but with Carol, it makes FANTASTIC ice cream out of frozen bananas (also throw in a few frozen strawberries or blueberries, etc.), looks & tastes like soft serve ice cream, yum! John Koehler told me it’s the best masticating juicer for making f/fruit ice cream. Mine died after about 25 years and I’d like another (white preferably) if anyone wants to sell! I sold my Green Star, too much pushing/shoving, too slow. I now have a (smaller) Omega 8005, juices wheatgrass much better than G.S. Also have a Breville (Macy’s) a Martha Stewart fav. Very fast & not bad clean up, I drink juice quickly, it doesn’t set, have limited time & don’t like a dirty kithen. Also, I about have my vita-mix sold, no more food stuck in narrow bottom for me, going for a Blend Tec next, (wide bottom). Also, if getting a food processor, go for a 14 cup size. Just my 2 cents, trial & error gets expensive!

89. Matthew says:

I’m skeptical about ORMUS or “White Powder Gold” and it’s claims that it can enlighten you or be an all miracle cure. It seems to be popping up more now in the Raw Food circle – even saw David Wolfe promoting it in a video!

90. Usha Sunrise says:

Daniel Vitalis may be light years ahead of the rest of us, but when he’s trying to sell me $10 bottles of water, that just means he’s an icon whose removed light years from here selling $10 bottles of water! Maybe light years from here, $10 is the equivalent of 10 cts. Makes sense to me ; ) 😛

91. Karly says:

I’m skeptical about homeopathic remedies. I just can’t wrap my head around the concept that water has memory and that your body recognizes and responds to the elements the water was once with. This concept has no scientific proof and yet many people swear by it.

92. Scott says:

Love juicing. Addicted to juicing. But then I really love my banana, blueberry, cacao, yoghurt, honey, spirilina and home made soy milk smoothies too. It’s a daily ritual.

93. Lisa says:

What about the Hurom Juicer? Seems like the best of all worlds in terms of juicing quickly and cleanup (this is why I don’t use my juicer)

94. I think it is so funny you keep deleting my comments

95. DG says:

I think it is so funny you keep deleting my comments!

96. john says:

#34 I fully concur with you.Except for your first paragraph ,the universe is between 6000-10000 years old, give or take, that includes earth.As with the pollution factor I would like to see an independent RESEARCH LABORATORY (not funded by the government) do an HONEST,TRUTHFUL evaluation of all consumable plant based foods as well as all salts. And also to check for the most important pollutant,that gets constantly circulated in the environment,RADIONUCLIDES ,FALLOUT,NUCLEAR PLANTS,MILITARY PROVING GROUNDS IN THE USA. And SEAS. Also GMO’S ,and our DNA etc. #55 Well said. God gave animals instinct.And man a sound mind to think and reason . #89 I Agree. As with juicers Keep your CHAMPION use it and bag the pulp in cheese cloth/nut milk bag ,then place it into the PEOPLES PRESS hydraulic juicer. Total juice extraction and no lose of juice.Superior to NORWALK JUICER -And cheap and affordable compared to the Norwalk juicer.Very good show Kevin.

97. linda says:

as with anything…skeptism in moderation!
    I will try anything to see how it resonates with ME.

I think we have compromised our digestive systems so much. back ‘then’ we wernt so compromised and didnt need all of these things (superfoods,colonics, juicing)
    modern day intestine…modern day fixes

Personally I do colonics when I juice fast, taken vit d in winter, vitamineral green for a boost, oxy powder to cleanout. but not all the time…

just listen to your body, eliminate the stress and be patient.

98. bitt says:

As for the champion for making banana ice cream, there’s really no need, you can use a food processor for the same thing. Just put some frozen ones in there and give it some time.

I find a difference between juice and smoothies with greens. I think juices are a bit more potent however i like the flavor of smoothies more.

I am skeptical about raw “collostrum” and any raw animal product. seems like it’s just a way for dairy farmers to keep their jobs.

99. Mike says:

There’s so much out there about being healthy that bring about some skepticism. Especially when one person said one thing and another tears it apart. A good example is this email message I received today about Dr. Mercola. I’m a fan of the doctor, and never heard any bad things about him until this message arrived at my email box. It’s a little long, but check it out.

Joseph Mercola Is A Threat To Public Health, Spreading False Information
    October 23rd, 2009 by admin in Better Health Network, Quackery Exposed

By Dr. Joseph Albeitz
    Some of our more astute readers may have noticed that we are paying influenza slightly more attention than other topics of late. That’s because this situation is new, rapidly changing, and covers more areas of science and medicine than one can easily count. It’s also a subject about which the general public and media are keenly interested. This is an outstanding learning and teaching opportunity for us as a professional community. Unfortunately, it is also fertile ground for confusion, fear, and misinformation, and a playground for those who would exploit such things.
    Mercola.com is a horrible chimera of tabloid journalism, late-night infomercials, and amateur pre-scientific medicine, and is the primary web presence of Joseph Mercola. Unfortunately, it is also one of the more popular alternative medicine sites on the web and as such is uncommonly efficient at spreading misinformation. I am not a fan, and have addressed his dross in the past.
    Joseph Mercola has recently posted an excerpt from an individual he evidently holds in high regard, Bill Sardi. Bill published “18 reasons why you should not vaccinate your children against the flu this season.” Mercola chose his nine favorites (one would assume the nine best reasons), and re-posted it on Mercola.com. There are so many mistakes, so much misinformation in so little space, it’s almost a work of art. You know, like that crappy art that you might expect to find on the wall at an hourly motel. Without further delay, let’s examine Mercola and Sardi’s nine best reasons for you not to vaccinate your children against influenza this season:
    1. The swine flu is simply another flu. It is not unusually deadly.
    “Not unusually deadly.” Oh good, then we can expect only ~36,000 people to die from it this year! Why does that number not reassure me?
    One could do an entire post on just this single misleading claim. Oh wait, we have. Suffice to say every influenza strain has unique characteristics, some subtle (like the differences between seasonal strains from 2005-2007), some glaringly different (like the pandemic strains of 1918, 1957, and 1968, or the H5N1 “bird flu”). Saying something is “simply another flu” is nearly meaningless.
    I’ll be charitable and assume he meant 2009 H1N1 is behaving like the average seasonal influenza. Let’s see, it circulated during the Summer, when flu doesn’t circulate, is uncommon in the elderly, is disproportionately infecting and hospitalizing younger people, it has a much higher incidence of ARDS requiring mechanical ventilation and heart-lung bypass (ECMO) than its seasonal counterpart (Australia reported 68 cases requiring ECMO vs. 4 the prior year), and it has a population which under the age of 60 is nearly 100% susceptible. Yep, sounds like any old flu to me.
    Score: 0/1
    2. This is the first time both seasonal and pandemic flu vaccines will be administered. Both seasonal flu and swine flu vaccines will require two inoculations. This is because single inoculations have failed to produce sufficient antibodies. This is an admission that prior flu vaccines were virtually useless. Can you trust them this time?
    Yes, this is the first time they will be co-administered because pandemic 2009 H1N1 didn’t exist before now. Neither seasonal nor 2009 H1N1 vaccines will require two doses; both have been found to generate a sufficient immune response without a second dose. The exception to this is in children 6 months to 9 years of age, who require a second dose of the 2009 H1N1 vaccine separated by 4 weeks, and two doses if it is their first time being vaccinated against seasonal influenza.
    Even when vaccines do require a second dose, this is not an admission that the vaccine is useless. Basic (and I’m talking 101-level basic) immunology explains why some molecules and microbes are more immunogenic than others, and require repeated exposures to generate an adequate immune response.
    Furthermore, administering multiple vaccines against multiple strains of influenza simultaneously isn’t exactly pushing the boundaries of science. In fact, it’s status quo: the seasonal influenza vaccine is a trivalent vaccine, meaning that it has three different influenza strains in it. This has been true every season since the last major shift in circulating seasonal influenza viruses.
    Score: 0/2
    3. Adjuvants are added to vaccines to boost production of antibodies but may trigger autoimmune reactions. Some adjuvants are mercury (thimerosal), aluminum and squalene. Why would you sign a consent form for your children to be injected with mercury, which is even more brain-toxic than lead?
    Adjuvants are indeed added to some vaccines, and that’s a good thing. But it isn’t needed in this one, so it’s not there. I think someone both wise and handsome covered this somewhere on this blog before… Aluminum and squalene-containing compounds are the adjuvants most commonly used, and both are safe. However, thimerosal isn’t an adjuvant, it’s a preservative to prevent bacterial contamination of the vaccine and keep it safe. There is a subtle difference between a preservative and an adjuvant. For those with sarcasm impairment, by “subtle difference” I in fact mean “blatantly obvious and inexcusable difference.”
    And while we are on the topic of influenza vaccine and thimerosal, the single-dose syringes have no thimerosal. Only the multi-dose vials contain any thimerosal, with each dose containing 25 micrograms of ethylmercury. This 3.5 times less than what you would get from eating a single can of tuna (~87 mcg), is a form of mercury far more rapidly cleared than most environmental mercury exposures (methylmercury), and has been exonerated from suspicion as a cause of autism.
    Score: 0/3
    4. This is the first year mock vaccines have been used to gain FDA approval. The vaccines that have been tested are not the same vaccines your children will be given. (Emphasis Mercola’s)
    Wait, what? “Mock” as in “fake?” You are going to claim something like that and give no source? None? Awesome. Were that to be true, it would be beyond a scandal, it would be criminal, and I’d be right there beside you calling for prosecution. Were it true. Which it’s not. The 2009 H1N1 vaccines were approved as a “strain change” to the seasonal influenza vaccine. We change the strains almost every year, and the 2009 H1N1 vaccine that your child will be given has been subjected to the same testing as the yearly influenza vaccine prior to release. Oh, and I’ll provide sources.
    Score: 0/4
    5. Over-vaccination is a common practice now in America. American children are subjected to 29 vaccines by the age of two. Meanwhile, veterinarians have backed off of repeat vaccination in dogs because of observed side effects.
    Over-vaccination! Don’t you just hate it when you just aren’t susceptible to quite enough diseases? Children are not subjected to 29 vaccines by the age of two, not even by adulthood. There are 17 discrete vaccines (including 2009 H1N1) against specific viruses and bacteria on the routine schedule. Some are combined together in a single injection (like Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis) to reduce the number of injections.
    Where did this number of 29 vaccines come from? If he meant 29 exposures to individually targeted viruses or bacteria or counting individual antigens he significantly undercounts. He might come close to the highest number of individual injections a child could get if one avoids most combination vaccines, though given number of different combination vaccines available, the actual number varies. No matter how you slice it, his number is wrong and misleading.
    What about the veterinarian story? He’s referring to “vaccinosis,” which is more or less “vaccines cause autism” for animals. That veterinary vaccination schedules have changed is primarily due to a lack of good data in animals and the fact that vets care for widely varying species. As vets learn more about the immunologic response in a particular species, they follow the evidence and alter their schedules. This has no bearing on vaccination of humans.
    Even if it were an accurate or relevant piece of information, the vets would not be alone in stopping the use of a vaccine due to observed side effects. Emphasis here on the word “observed,” and not “imagined.” For example, due to our standard post-licensure surveillance, within a year of its release the original rotavirus vaccine was found to cause intussusception in 1/10,000 children, and was rapidly pulled from the market.
    Score: 0/5
    6. Modern medicine has no explanation for autism, despite its continued rise in prevalence. Yet autism is not reported among Amish children who go unvaccinated.
    Ignorance of medicine, autism, vaccines, and the Amish, topped off by a non sequitur. Wow.
    Though the causes of autism are incompletely understood, modern medicine is making continual progress. Studies of twins with autism, along with an increasing number of implicated genes show that autism has a very strong though complicated genetic basis. Given autism’s heterogeneity, it is unlikely that a single cause will be found that explains all cases of autism, and it is possible that other factors beyond genetics may play some role. Regardless of what etiologies are eventually found, some potential causes have been ruled out, including vaccines.
    The apparent rise in autism prevalence is largely explained by a broadening in diagnostic criteria and increased recognition and diagnosis. This explanation is further supported by studies like the one just published in the UK demonstrating equal numbers of autistic people in all age groups.
    As far as the Amish are concerned, they do vaccinate, and they do have children with autism.
    Score: 0/6
    7. Researchers are warning that over-use of the flu vaccine and anti-flu drugs like Tamiflu and Relenza can apply genetic pressure on flu viruses and then they are more likely to mutate into a more deadly strain.
    So close! Antiviral drugs do place selective pressure on replicating viruses, and resistant strains can be produced. However, drug resistance is not equivalent to virulence, and so his implication that use of antiviral medication will induce more deadly strains is unwarranted.
    It is also irrelevant to his topic of “Why you shouldn’t vaccinate your children against influenza.” If anything, his fallacious argument would support vaccination, because fewer children infected will mean fewer children taking antivirals.
    It seems to be asking a lot to expect internal consistency.
    Score: 0/7
    8. Most seasonal influenza A (H1N1) virus strains tested from the United States and other countries are now resistant to Tamiflu (oseltamivir). Tamiflu has become a nearly worthless drug against seasonal flu.
    Again, half-truths. Here’s the actual data: Seasonal influenza A (H1N1) is 99.6% resistant to Oseltamivir. However, seasonal influenza is typically comprised of three circulating strains, and the other two, A (H3N2) and influenza B, are 100% susceptible to Oseltamivir, as is 2009 H1N1. That’s hardly “nearly worthless.” Furthermore, seasonal influenza A (H1N1) is highly susceptible to the Adamantanes (though H3N2 and type B are resistant), and we have no resistance of any influenza to Zanamivir. This is well known to physicians. We are able to type the influenza a patient is infected with and tailor their therapy when necessary, and continually monitor the susceptibility of circulating strains as you can see on the CDC site.
    And again, what does this have to do with vaccination?
    Score: 0/8
    9. Public health officials are irresponsible in their omission of any ways to strengthen immunity against the flu. No options outside of problematic vaccines and anti-flu drugs are offered, despite the fact there is strong evidence that vitamins C and D activate the immune system and the trace mineral selenium prevents the worst form of the disease.
    “Strong.” I do not think that word means what you think it means. While it is true that deficiency in Vitamin C, Vitamin D, and selenium can make you more susceptible to infection, (unlikely in a developed country, but possible), there appears to be no benefit in further supplementation in the general population. Furthermore, we have reason to suspect that blanket recommendations of the use of antioxidants like Vitamins C and D and selenium may cause an increase in mortality.
    Public health officials do make recommendations other than vaccines and anti-virals to avoid contracting influenza. You can find them right here. The problem (from Mercola’s point of view) is that they only endorse effective interventions based on proper evidence. When there is limited plausibility for an intervention to work, little evidence in favor of it, and significant evidence suggesting futility or even harm from its use as is the case with these supplements, the appropriate action is to not recommend its use. Which as Mercola points out, is exactly what public health officials do. Responsibly.
    Score: 0/9
    Ooooh, swing and a fumble, 9 strikes, you’re out! Swing and a line fault? Whatever, I’m rubbish with sports, kind of like Mercola and Sardi are rubbish at medicine. Out of their “9 best reasons not to vaccinate your child,” none of them are valid, and two of them don’t even concern vaccination. Every single point here is utterly wrong, wantonly ignorant, and one would almost think intentionally misleading.
    If I sound upset, it is for good reason. For while Mercola and Sardi, drowning in their arrogance of ignorance, spread their misinformation with the expressed intent of undermining the public trust in vaccination and modern medicine, my colleagues and I will be forced to deal with the aftermath. This season has already been an unpleasant one in my pediatric ICU. During what is traditionally the slowest part of the year, we are running at near our capacity of 26 beds. The fraction of our patients who are in the ICU with 2009 H1N1 has steadily increased since the school year began, from roughly 5-10% of our census being flu positive over the summer (which is odd in itself), to now between 30-50%. The need for prolonged mechanical ventilation is common in these patients, we have needed to place three children on a heart-lung bypass machine (ECMO), and tragically we have had deaths.
    My ICU experience is typical rather than exceptional. If you have any interest in following this influenza season, the single best source of up-to-date information is the CDC’s FluView Weekly Update. There you will see that the percentage of visits to the ED for influenza-like illness is markedly elevated above the expected baseline, that the number of lab-confirmed influenza hospitalizations has tripled in the last 5 weeks, that at the present, the very beginning of the traditional influenza season, the age groups between 2 and 64 years of age have met or exceeded their average total number of influenza cases usually seen at the end of the season (~May). Most depressingly, you can see the number of influenza-related pediatric deaths is growing, and growing rapidly. Furthermore, this month’s JAMA has released studies from Canada, Australia/New Zealand, and Mexico describing their experience with critically ill patients with 2009 H1N1 that are similar to my own.
    Most people who contract influenza are miserable for about a week, but recover, usually without the need for medical care. The ICU experiences I relay here thankfully do not represent the population at large, but are meant to serve as a reminder that while you may not suffer from influenza this season, your neighbor may not be so lucky. Influenza is a real threat, it deserves our respect, and our fellow citizens deserve to be properly informed and empowered to protect themselves and their loved ones. Influenza is not benign, and neither is the medical advice being distributed by Joseph Mercola. The stakes are measured in human suffering and human lives, and Mercola bears responsibility for undermining the public health.

100. Dr. Joseph Albeitz is just another egotistical skeptic who believes vaccinations are a good thing, drugs are the solution to every problem, there are no cures for most of the diseases today, nutrition has very little to do with health and alternative medicine and nutrition should be banned and the great gods of modern medicine should reign king! He writes for Science-Based Medicine, a site tended by equally robotic, soulless egomaniacs that believe that everything outside of modern medicine is quackery and those who think outside the box as Joseph Mercola does, is a quack.

The Best Part

When the skeptics eventually get sick and are dying of cancer or heart dis-ease or whatever, they will be forced out of their own conviction to take the same drugs and surgeries that they have recommend and be totally convinced that this is the BEST and ONLY solution. Justice isn’t without a sense of irony as it seems.

101. Elaine says:

I’m skeptical about all of the things mentioned above, especially the bias of the news media and the bombardment of advertising on the general public. Many public school educated people don’t learn to think for themselves, you can’t say “it worked for my grandparents” any more, it is a new world and we are forced to try new things that may or may not work for us.
    Besides, new things are fun to learn, no matter how old you get!

102. Pam Falk says:

Yeah Jordan!!! These medicos also get paid royally to keep the populace on their manufactured chemicals.

103. Jana says:

I have a champion juicer and I love it. I bought it in 1987. Used it a lot at first, then it sat idle a long time. I dusted it off in December 07. By August 08 I hit a combination I really like and I’ve been using it every day since, often twice and sometimes three times daily. I needed some new parts last month, and I was able to get them.

As for being skeptical, I’m skeptical of any promise that any political candidate makes, and nowadays, I’m skeptical of any nutritional advice that comes from the USDA or the FDA.

104. holly says:

I have a breville compact juicer and I love it. http://www.mommyoffaith19.blogspot.com I just posted about juicing. I juice alot of greens though. I agree, I think carrots are fine. No one ever got fat from eating carrots lol.

105. Sarabi says:

I am also curious about whether sea vegetables are toxic. I think they would be INCREDIBLE sources of many vitamins/minerals etc and I love raw nori, dulse etc, but doesn’t common sense suggest that since our oceans are toxic, that vegetables grown in the sea are going to be too?

Kevin and anyone else, I’d love your perspectives…does any company test their sea veggies for toxins?

cheers

106. Frederik Ackermann says:

I am skeptical of veganism, I think it is ethically right, but it doesn’t make much sense from an evolutionary standpoint – even the great apes eat meat – and they have a 40% larger digestive system (according to Loren Cordain) than we do, apparently because they consume more fiber than us, meaning we ‘should’ probably eat more meat (which does not contain fiber) than them.
    Other arguments for eating meat –
    eyes in front
    canines
    B12

107. I liked your show today. I only juice, no smoothies. I have the Green Kempo/Samson juicer & I love it. I drink my juice 24-48 hrs after juicing, and it tastes great. I’m not sure how much nutrients are still left, but it doesn’t taste acidic, so that’s a good sign. I juice because I have problems digesting just about everything, especially fiber. I get colonics on a regular basis & have been since 2001. They are awesome for someone like me who has to take medication for chronic pain. I do not follow a raw diet right now, just trying to heal my body by juicing every day. I juice carrots from time to time & do not have any adverse reactions with blood sugar. I’m not too sure about which superfoods is best. I use Amazing Grass & it definitely gives me a lot of energy. I don’t put it in my juice, I take it either in capsules, or drink the cacao blend & mix it with Hemp Milk. It’s yummy that way.

Anyway, I have blog posts on most of the subjects discussed in today’s show & comments, like food combining, juicing vs. blending, & the green kempo juicer — just in case anyone wants to read and then share their comments. I’d love to hear what you think. http://juicinghealthy.com

108. ron says:

how did Jack Lalaine live so well using lower grade juicer and not buying any of the(super high doller)superfoods that seam to be discovered by the day? Did he even B-12 supplement?

109. Bette says:

Not considering myself as a skeptic….I have recently begun to be sceptical of most of the raw dogma. Listening to my own body and encouraging clients to listen to their own.

Ruling out the made up stuff, sorting it from the facts and what is real.

Also the commercialism of raw (the extremist level).

110. Healthmaster says:

Lemon works as a sweetener?