Does Sea Salt Have Less Sodium than Table Salt – The Renegade Health Show Episode #498

Thursday Feb 4, 2010 | BY |

I’ve been talking about salt a lot recently…

After a few emails back and forth with Dr. Doug Graham, I have some more salt research and information.

This includes the answer to the title of this post: “Does sea salt have less sodium than table salt?”

The answer may surprise you…

Your question of the day: Your thoughts on salt and “medical accidents”?

1. Ellena says:

Bummer.Really thats all I can say. Well, that and Im grateful you take the time to inform us. Im really bummed. I know i don’t take in quite as much salt as I used to, but I still am heavy on the salt shaker. The sea salt shaker. Is that the same for all the “special” salt out there too? What about Himalyan pink salt? I understand the bottom line will always be use less, I get that, but is pink salt the same?

2. Diana says:

I had NO idea that it did! Thank you for this episode because I was very disillusioned in thinking that sea salt was actually good for me :S

3. Stephanie says:

Howdy, Kevin! Great point about the medical “accident.” Our society is in significant denial about the use of all kinds of drugs – legal or otherwise.

Re: salt. Can’t care yet. I’ve given up meat, cheese, sugar, all gluten grains (and most others), caffeine and what-have-you. And while occasionally this makes me feel GREAT, it can also leave me feeling supremely DEPRIVED. So until I can cross that emotional/spiritual hurdle, I’ll be using as much sea salt as a d@mn well please, and quit harping on it! ;)

4. Joan says:

I am very tired of the double standard too…regarding salt – I agree! Some natural health people say you need salt and should use the pink or gray type, and natural hygiene people say you don’t – so confusing…but I have a tendency to stay away from it because of how I react to it.

5. junglegirl says:

I did know, in fact I just thought it was common sense but this may be because I’ve been a professional cook. Chefs know that everyday sea salt is actually saltier in flavor than table salt. The finer sea salts, like fleur de sel are a bit less salty, but they all vary. My body took the info from the flavor without me really thinking consciuosly about it, I suppose, but that may not necessarily be a reliable method, just something that I took for granted because that’s how it felt to me.

My other insight is that people may crave sea salt when they lack minerals. Try adding colloidal (not nano) minerals to your water and it helps to eliminate the salty craving. Crave is such an ugly looking and sounding word! I just noticed, lol…

6. Patricia says:

interesting stuff about salt. But now what do you say about the Himalayan stuff. Seasalt that is millions of years old. They report that eating this salt will actually cure hypertension. You are to put a large crystal in a glass of water and when it will no longer disolve then is ready for use. You are to have a teaspoon of this everyday. Have heard numerouse reports helping people with low blood presure to high blood pressure. Suppose to normalize it. Also I think that its the same with anything, everything in moderation. And one last thing. I don’t think that commercial salt is just as good. I think anytime you proccess something it is ruined. Just look what happens to sugar. Not to bad when its natural, but proccess it and make it white and its deadly. As for the other stuff well, alcohole and tylenole are both safe in moderation. Put them together and its a sucide formula. Not the companys problem, its the people that are stupid enough to think that nothing will happen to them. And I agree with the fact that milkthistle would be pulled from the shelf if it was deadly. All I can say about that is its not and never will be.

7. Kaye says:

I was under the impression that NO salt is good salt, no matter sea salt or table salt. That being said, I don’t know if I knew the real facts as to why. I have always believed sea salt to be the better choice, but once again, I am very aware that zero salt is best. I personally eat very little salt; when you eat mostly raw, it seems there is little use for it. When I was SAD, I used a ton of salt with all of meals. Peace!

8. Shayla says:

I feel just fine about my own level of salt consumption. I’ve been a vegan for 9 years, very whole-foodsy, and use very little salt (always sea salt). I knew that sea salt had as much sodium as table salt, but I can’t really see giving it up completely…yet. The more raw foods I eat, the more “deprived” I feel, and a sprinkle of sea salt goes a long way towards making me feel less deprived and more satisfied (emotionally).

Hopefully a time will come when I can “cut the cord”, so to speak, but I will enjoy it for now. My blood pressure has always been on the low side of normal, even when pregnant, so I guess I’m okay.

Medical accidents: it’s why I don’t go to doctors, take medicine, give birth in hospitals, etc.

9. Karen says:

What about Himalayan salt? Dr. Mercola says it’s okay. I guess we just have to take it all “with a grain of salt.”

10. Brigitte says:

Hi there. I’m so glad you talked about this in your program today, Kevin. I’ve heard so much hype about the “pink” and “gray” salts being so superior to table salt in that they have so many more minerals. I’ve used all types of salt in the past and (since I’m a hypertensive) have noticed that if I have more than a tiny amount of any of them, they leave me bloated and retaining water. So I kind of wondered if what the advertising was saying was really true, and now I have proof (along with my bodily reactions) that there’s really no superiority in the expensive versions and we ought to avoid too much of any of them. Thanks!

11. crow says:

Sea salt is preferable since we do need some sodium in our bodies. As the old saying goes
    “do it in moderation”.

12. Nancy Zare says:

I appreciate the information. Is Himalayan salt any better?

13. Jo says:

Using less salt is healthy but what are your feelings about Himalayan salt? Does it have a higher mineral content since it is mined from the earth? Thanks! JO

14. Paulius says:

I heard from Victoria Boutenko (green smoothie lady) that Celtic Salt is best. What do you think?

15. Iryna says:

Sorry guys, but this is yesterdays news. “Salt is Salt” and “Fat is Fat”. There is no good or bad. Paul Bragg talked about salt back in 80s in his “The Miracle of Fasting”. Also you can read Doug Graham’s “80/10/10 Diet” – this will answer all your questions.

16. Don says:

What is your take on Himalayan Salt,same problem?
    As i was told it had more minerals and was more pure

17. Sue says:

On a typical SAD diet it’s hard to avoid salt because it’s hidden in everything (there’s more salt in one digestive biscuit than in a bag of crisps,) but I’m finding it easy to cut out salt on a vegan diet – I don’t add it to raw foods at all and I find I don’t need it with steamed veg. The only time I feel I need it is when cooking brown rice.

18. Marge says:

What about the iodine in table salt? Most sea salts are not iodized. I think a lot of people are deficient in iodine and that is why there are so many thyroid problems.

19. Thomas says:

I believe the content of the salt depends on the age and locality of the ocean it comes from. The Himalayas were at the sea bottom before the Indian subcontinent pushed them up. The salt flats of Utah were on the seabed before the Pacific plate pushed up the North American plate. It all comes from oceans.

People will pay outrageous prices for “Himalayan” anything. My friends from Nepal laugh about the price charged for “Himalayan goji berries” which are in reality wolf berries grown on farms in China. They will grow here too. A lot of “marketing” by entrepreneurs. :-)

We do need sodium and potassium to function properly, but we have individual needs. Sodium causes our cells to retain water, and potassium causes them to expel water. We need to keep our systems in balance.

It’s easy to see where you are by getting a simple blood test for electrolytes. Any clinic can do it. That way you know if your diet and life style is in balance. Sweating from exercise or humidity will cause you to need more of both.

20. Bev says:

Hi EveryOne,

Enjoy your programs very much Kevin and Ann Marie.

While salt may be bad, or at least unnecessary, for most people, for me and for others with weak adrenals and low blood pressure it is vital. Salt is necessary to maintain normal blood pressure and prevent dehydration for anyone with Addison’s Disease.

Although there is not enough iodine in sea salt to help most people also need iodine added to their diet. There are lots of thyroid problems these days in part due to lack of sufficient iodine.

Best thing is to know one’s own body and learn all you can and see what works best for you. Life is one grand experiment!

Peace, Love and Harmony,
    Bev

21. Janet says:

This salt thing is confusing!
    In your Water Secrets interview with Mike Adams he says that putting a pinch of full spectrum sea salt in your drinking water allows your cells to retain more water – lubricating your neurons and allowing cells to get rid of toxic byproducts that are water-soluble.

22. Judi Schuff says:

CODEX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    In action.

23. Dawn B says:

I’m not surprised really.It tastes just as salty, so I figured it wasn’t much different. I’ve always steered toward sea salt for the trace minerals. I may switch back to iodized table salt since it is so much cheaper if there is no health benefit to sea salt though. Hmm.

24. Dawn B says:

Thomas, LOL, I buy my wolf berries at the asian market because they are a quarter the price than those at the health food store.

25. elaina says:

Kevin:

What happened to the side of your face???

So now I have to give up sea salt. Well one compensation is that much less spent, now can put that money to other better foods.
    Thanks again for all you do.

26. john says:

Kevin how does Himalayan salt ,Kelp, compare with sea salt .I would think kelp is a marine vegetable with an aray of minerals.

27. Hi Kevin

Thanks for today’s info on salt, which I have already known for a long time. Our bodies need sodium and not sodium chloride. We can get that in tomatoes, celery and spinach and also sea vegetable like kelp and dulse. Also check out this link from Roger Haeske’s website on salt http://rogerhaeske.com/?p=72

Also, visit my blog http://www.rawsomegal.wordpress.com and read about my 42 day cleanse that I finished mid-January and I have also written about my transition back to food. I continue to write about health related topics and post daily (off on weekends). To read about my cleanse from day 1, click on December 2009. Share this with others who may be interested.

Namaste!
    Chef Mindy aka Ageless Raw Beauty

28. Joel says:

I think Brittany Murphy’s death was totally unnecessary. I know I’m preaching to the choir saying that here. Too bad more stars don’t hire natural health coaches that keep their weight down and help them get their health to optimal levels. She had the means to do all the right cleanses and have the best wild crafted herbs. Amazing how people still think milk and meat are healthy and a drug can heal anything without harmful side affects. The natural way needs people to rise up politically and win hearts and minds.

I agree that almost everyone will not learn from her death. The drug companies are great at propaganda as Kevin pointed out. That’s why I appreciate this blog and why I’m going all raw now. Time for me to be a leader by example.

29. Becky says:

Dr Fuhrman of Eat to Live states that salt is correlated to stomach cancer as well as hypertension. It also leaches out calcium and other minerals when it is exceted via the kidneys.
    He had also noted that vegans, while not dying of heart attacks and cancer, are dying of hemmoragic stroke. The use of salt over times raises the blood pressure and the arteries in the brain rupture as a result of the increased pressure on them.

30. michele Owen says:

While I am so sad to see another talented actor succumb to the industry I am not surprised. Rules are forsaken so many times.

31. Pat G. says:

David Wolfe said the When it Rains it Pours salt is manufacturer next to Cover the Earth paint company, so who wants those chemicals and fumes lingering over the salt. Tim Trader, PhD said it would take a long time for our bodies to run out of salt, so needing it is questionable. If we need it, we can eat celery and tomatos.

If I eat any type of sodium cloride, my ankles swell. If I eat too much, which could be a small bag of baked Lays (shame on me), my legs swell to the point of the skin feeling stretched and stiff.

Yesterday, I slow-cooked some soup and added 6 t. of tamari, however, that was to 15 cups of liquid. It didn’t change the taste at all…

32. Keith says:

I think that no matter what, we should try and consume less salt; however, when having it we should try and have the healthier options. Although sea salt has almost the same amount of sodium, it is less processed. But I prefer Pink salt which has way more minerals in it. If you make sure that you have a lot of pottasium, it generally seems to take away the negative effects of salt intake (at least for me anyways). P.S. I will always eat salt because I love the way it brings out flavours in other foods.

33. Lori says:

I spent all that extra money for the grey, wet celtic sea salt(chunky stuff) and could have bought the cheap supermarket stuff?? I’m beginning to wonder if the natural health community knows much more than the dr’s. I was told nattokinase would work similiar to warfarin(comadin) and keep you from having clots, dissolving them (at least as good as an aspirin a day) and i get some only to find out it is dangerous. Natto, itself which they eat in Japan is fine, but apparantly Nattokinase will not only dissolve dangerous clots but also the protective coating in the brain and dissolve “good clots” that can kill you…..makes me really wonder who to trust anymore?????????????

34. ann says:

There are so many varying opinions on salt. Hal Huggins suggest Mortons canning and Pickling salt as the only salt to take and I think this is because it is not considered dead and i guess that to mean it has free electrons. To me it seems Mortons has other addatives but HH is well qualified. Then the other side is David Jubbs says sea salt if it has been sun dried and ONLY sun dried you will get free electrons from it so its good. Both definitely do NOT recommend Humalayan Salt – and Jubbs says we were never meant to lick rocks!! The debate goes on but I intend to do more research and see if I can test for myself which salt is good to eat and I am not a salty person, it would just be good to try and find out how to measure the aliveness of salt instead of relying on others since there are so many diverse opinions from well qualified people.

35. Mary says:

Hey Kevin
    Don’t negate the importance of trace minerals in salt just because there is only a … errrm … trace of them in there. The clue is in the name – we only need them in tiny amounts!
    The levels of salt consumed by those eating processed foods (where most salt lurks) is probably too high. But I feel that adding a little, I use the Himalayan, to the live food meals I prepare myself is unlikely to be excessive and may even be beneficial.
    There is also some debate about whether salt is harmful for everyone or whether it causes raised blood pressure only in a few individuals who are sensitive to it.
    Like anything testing via your own personal experience and bloodwork is always a good way to be sure.
    Namaste
    Mary

36. suzanne says:

Not about salt but I just thought of a great question to ask or feature on ur daily show. What do optiman nutritional (raw vegan and vegan) people think should make up a 3 month emergency supply in case of an environmental, etc. threat where we cannot get to stores or they have little food? I would prefer something that doesn’t have to be rotated often cause I will end up not doing it. Maybe some Ormus Greens?? Such people will have a very different list than SAD people.

37. RW says:

Here is a question for you, Kev. Since salt is a core essential nutrient for keeping us alive, what would be the best source and the correct quantity of salt that should we consume?

38. Carol says:

Dr Mercola did a fascinating interview
    on Himalayan Sea Salt. You can view the
    interview here:

39. Ladan says:

It is still way better to consume some sea salt than table salt, simply due to the fact that table salt is refined and contains other additives that you do not need to put into your body..we must keep in mind that our blood chemistry is very close to sea water as well when u are in the hospital and cant comsume food, what do they give you? thats right that clear intervenous sac contains: salt. I dont think salt is the enemy, i think it needs to be used in moderation and is a necessary element…also, there is a total double standard when it comes to pharmacuticals vs. natural supplements and it comes from greed and ignorance. Keep up the good work Kevin and thanks for all u do.

40. Sophia says:

We should steer clear of excess salt because we can get it in our food… Thanks for sharing the information!!!

41. Andrew Norris says:

I’m going to give the other side, so we have all the info. In sea salt I *believe* the minerals are ionically charged which makes them better absorbed. Could be critical for people with compromised immune systems such as with anti-biotics. This may go for the sodium too, so raising blood pressure more.

Products like concentrace have removed the sodium and have charged minerals.

The real key point everyone must get is the need for constant monitoring of blood pressure. It is cheap, fast and could be a life saver. Some people I am sure could have more sea salt and not affect the blood pressure too much.

Tests have been shown that some people are MUCH more sensitive to salt than others for hypertension.

Of course sodium is essential, it is just that too much is a problem. So don’t cut salt out completely. Especially if you exercise, some tests recently have shown that people sweating a lot lose a lot of their sodium and so need it topping up.

Hope this helps, and Kev you are so right to point this out!

42. We allneed some sodium – I eat two sticks of celery each day to meet my sodium needs

Sandra

43. stephen says:

Kevin,

Listen, we need to let the salt topic go. If we are going to listen to a guy who believes and practices a fruitarian diet than we need to reconsider who we listen to! Kevin you’re right, we should not be getting our minerals from sea salt. We should be getting a majority of our minerals and salts from plant based foods. The amount of minerals that sea salt provides is very little anyway. Yes, SODIUM CHLORIDE IS SODIUM CHLORIDE BUT, sea salt IS better than the refined, bleached, anit-caking chemicals that are added to common table salt. Come on Kevin I know you know that! You need to be asking David Wolfe/Sunfood, who have tested all sorts of various salts, about this and NOT Doug Graham! You know if we’re going to talk about salt this much maybe we should talk about all the hybridized sweet fruit. Then again…………..banana’s are “natural”

I have to laugh everytime I hear a fruitarian say cooked foods, animals products, salt or anything that is not raw is “unnatural” or “not ideal” but here they are eating massive amounts of banana’s, seedless grapes or seedless oranges.

And I take no stand on anything whether that be salt, plant based diet or flesh based diet.

Anyways Kev thanks for the show.

44. Sheila says:

Is tamari or Bragg’s Amino Acids healthier than salt?

45. Andrew Norris says:

Whoops, I meant compromised digestive systems in my comment above (not immune systems).

46. Michael T. says:

Yes, Kevin, I already knew that sea salt is about 98 percent sodium chloride. It has trace amounts of trace minerals, but that is all we need.

I use Real Salt, an unrefined full-spectrum salt which comes from Utah, which was once under the ocean. I think the small amounts of trace minerals in it are good for me.

Sodium does NOT cause high blood pressure as long as you drink enough water. The key is to balance intake of all nutrients. not taking in too much of anything.

People who follow the 80-10-10 program are taking in huge amounts of potassium (mostly from all that fruit) and if they don’t take in enough sodium, they will suffer from an imbalance of too much potassium and not enough sodium. This will make it difficult for water to easily pass into and out of the cells. For our cell membranes to work most efficiently, our bodies need adequate amounts of both sodium and potassium.

You can tell you don’t have enough sodium if you are feeling tired much of the time, or if your blood pressure is too low.

This is because sodium is essential for muscle contraction, and your heart is a muscle. Your arteries are lined with muscles, too.

The retaining water problem is actually caused by not drinking enough water. The water level in the body is controlled by hormones. When people don’t drink enough water, hormones are produced to make the body retain water. When you drink plenty of water, then you make hormones that tell the kidneys to release more water, and in doing so they release excess salt. That is why you need to drink enough water to balance salt intake.

Kevin, you are a big fan of getting tested for vitamin and mineral deficiencies — so how about getting your blood pressure tested? The numbers will generally vary with age, but if they are too low, perhaps you need to increase your sodium consumption.

I live in Hawaii and I sweat a lot, so I drink about a gallon of water a day and eat salt with about half of my meals. My blood pressure is perfect, at about 120 over 80. I am 46 years old. So, I am at least one data point of a person who eats salt every day and has perfect blood pressure.

Perhaps you could ask your other readers to get their blood pressure tested, and do a mini study to see how salt consumption relates to blood pressure. I think you will find that as long as people drink enough water, their blood pressure will be fine.

For balance,
    Michael T.

47. Elaine says:

In Dr. Batmanghelidj’s books about water (watercure.com) he says to dissolve a little salt on your tongue and drink some water when you have an allergy or asthma attack, and it works for me. I took heavy allergy medications for 20 years until I read his books and now use salt and water and haven’t needed any medication since.

48. JoyfullyRaw says:

It’s these kind of videos that cause me to trust your judgement. There are those in the raw food movement that will not speak the truth, because of the negative impact it could potentially have on their livelihood. I am not feeling that from you. I believe that you are an honest, straight shooting guy, that really does have the interests of the raw community and society in general, at heart. May it always be so. Love you guys, keep up the good work. ~Colleen~

49. John says:

Kev, I love your style – you’re right on with this message. Always keep that focus and clarity of mind, it’s always appreciated (so many willing to overlook and condemn, so little able to speak their mind with honesty and integrity these days)

– John

50. RW says:

Another question Kev, given that some us ether add salt (sodium chloride) to foods or don’t add salt, what would be the ideal amount of salt for optimal health? And is there a ‘positive energy effect’ on the impact of your health by using pure natural crystal salt vs. just getting salt through eating foods that naturally contain salt?

51. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

Salt always causes a stir… ;-)

A few quick points…

1. From the Mountain Rose website:

Himalayan Pink Salt

Sodium Chloride – 98.35%
    Magnesium – .07%
    Sulfate – .05%
    Iron – .0006%
    Moisture – .026%
    Insoluble – .77%

Not any significant difference at all.

2. YES, we need “mineral salts” not excess sodium chloride.

3. If you’re concerned about your minerals, take a trace mineral supplement that is low in sodium.

4. I understand Doug is a controversial figure in health. I agree with some things he says and some things I don’t. See previous videos on candida. :-)

On this point I think he’s correct.

Health opinions are not black and white. It’s foolish to accept everything someone says as gospel. You take good and let the rest stay. :-)

(And yes, some people on the 80-10-10 or any other diet eat way too many over-sweetened hybridized fruits.)

5. Yes, there is an appropriate balance between potassium and sodium. This doesn’t mean we have to get sodium from salt. We can get it from other sources.

5. I also need to be clear, I do from time to time eat things with salt in them. I am not perfect. I have managed to limit my use of dressings and other things we can control, while accepting that sometimes there will be salt in the diet.

Thanks for all the discussion, guys!

52. Ineke says:

At the Hippocrates Institute they recommend to use sea veggies such as kelp, dulse etc and if you still want it salty they use Braggs which for my taste is quite salty so I use very little of it if at all. I personally have never been concerned about my salt intake because it always has been very low. I grew up in Europe with Herbamare (Vogel) and I still use it, available in most health food stores. (Delicious on a soft boiled egg) We also use celtic and Himalayan salt very moderately. My blood pressure has always been perfect so this is the last that I’m worrying about.

53. Yasmine says:

Hi,

I thought that sea salt was better… oh no! Are you sure my body is going to feel better without salt? :)

Thanks for another great show.

54. Yasmine says:

Hi (again),

I just read the comments… after writing mine and notice that nobody is commenting about the woman that died and the medical accident. The reason why nobody is going after the pharmaceutical agencies but blaming her death because of “lack of iron” and other things that are not the real problem is because theses agencies are really big. One may be scared to have them against themselves.

Nobody will want to do anything, until it gets to there own family… then they will ponder more and try to spread the good news. Hope it won’t be too late.

Thanks again.

55. Shannon says:

Kevin, in the spirit of friendship and truthfulness: I don’t agree with you regarding Brittany Murphy’s death.

The drugs you mentioned are perfectly safe– if taken according to the label. We don’t know how much vicoprofen she took; we don’t know what else she may have mixed these substances with.

Antibiotics are safe, absent an allergy. Painkillers are relatively safe (again, if taken according to the instructions).

So, to say that “nothing will be done” to investigate, as though that’s some kind of injustice, is not entirely logical. Further, investigations of that type are entirely up to the family, and not necessarily enforced as a matter of public interest.

The problem is this: you mention milk thistle and wheatgrass, so let’s use those as an example for the devils’ advocate position: If a person died and the cause was determined to be an overdose of milk thistle, perhaps it would be investigated (and perhaps not, as mentioned above ).

but the reason that it would be, would not necessarily be out of some kind of predjudicial bias, but simply because milk thistle and other supplements are *not regulated* by any overseeing body.

Regulation is not there to harass and persecute, but to maintain a standard of safety. That is the motivation behind regulation.

without regulation, there is no requirement that any peer reviewed, approved studies give us answers about what happens when these substances (ie, milk thistle) are taken in high doses or in conjunction with other substances, and so on.

So an investigation would be a completely logical step – to answer the question, “does milk thistle cause death if taken at such-and-such a dose?”

most prescription drugs and over-the-counter medicine have already been subject to that kind of rigorous review and deemed safe, if taken according to the label. Contraindications are made clear.

It’s not a persecution, per se, it’s just an information and fact-finding mission in that sense.

just my 02 on that one.

As far as freedom goes, the western world – and the majority of other nations- enjoy a very high amount of freedom when it comes to supplements, herbal remedies, and so forth being available on the market. So I’m not sure what the complaint is.

if what you seek is the blessing of governing or regulatory bodies over various herbal or supplemental treatments, by all means….. agree to regulation and provide extensive research proving your case regarding their safety and efficacy. i think that would be a win-win for everyone. New research, new and maybe safer treatments, and so on.

Cheers,
    S.
    ps, I realize I am probably the only raw-foodie you know who supports science-based medicine, and yet I’m happy to embrace the two as entirely complimentary in a system of total health! :-) best wishes to you, and love your show.

56. Nicole says:

I *just* bought a shaker of sea salt to try—funny timing. I don’t use salt everyday, so I think it’s okay on occasion.

What about dulse? Sometimes I get a huge craving for something salty and I’ll eat a tablespoon or two of dulse. Then I think, is this the same as taking a tablespoon of salt?! I hope not. What are your thoughts?

57. Cindy says:

To comment on pharmasuicidals, last year my mother was on 13 medications, 2 were high bloodpressure. She was falling all the time and couldn’t complete a full thought without getting lost. I took over, went with her to her main DR and asked him what all the meds were for. He has to pull out a book to look up the names of a few of them, he didn’t have a clue what they were. Today she is on 1 medication, she isn’t falling, her memory has returned she is driving again and her blood pressure is normal. I took myself off DR’s after they caused Chemically Induced Renal Failure. Quess what that really means? They were giving me meds and treatments that caused my kidneys to fail. I pulled myself out of it without dialisis. DR are bad for your health.

58. Steve says:

Hey Kevin -
    Great topic today on salt.
    I have 1 comment & 1 question.

My mom is “allergic” to salt !
    She found out years ago when we went swimming in the ocean for the first time.
    She ran out into the cold surf, up to her waist, and came out covered with a rash from her belly button on down to her toes. My dad thought she gut stung by a jelly fish, and took her to the ER. That was about 40 years ago.

My question is about the iodine that the government adds to our table salt.
    If I don’t eat any salt at all & need to suppliment with kelp to get my iodine levels back up, doesn’t the kelp contain salt it absorbed from the seawater?

This past year when she went to the Dr. for a routine check, they asked if she had any allergies and she told them about the salt. They found some other health issue and treated it by giving her a shot & IV drip of saline solution. Immediately she swelled up like a balloon, the nurse freaked out and they had to give her another shot of something else to stop the reaction.
    All mom could do was say, ” I told you. Didn’t you believe me?”.

My question is about the iodine that our government adds to table salt.
    I try not to use ANY salt at all. If I need to get more iodine in my diet, can I do this by eating kelp or taking kelp suppliments. Since kelp is a sea “vegetable”, doesn’t it contain lots of salt that it absorbed from the sea water?

59. May Blom says:

So what about sea vegetables? Especially Dulse. It’s very “salty”………

60. Joyce Braun says:

*sigh* I sometimes wish broccoli tasted like salt, and celery like chocolate

61. Jackie says:

Good program. I found that when I switched to sea salt, I was using more salt because I thought it was healthier. I have since backed off and I am using it more sensibly. Sea salt is still better than table salt, right?

62. jackie says:

I’m exhausted after reading all the comments and now don’t know what to think about salt! But I’m glad that you, Kevin, are keeping an open mind and are always researching and are willing to share with us what you are learning. Thanks also to everyone who puts in their .02 worth…you make me think and you are wonderful, too.

63. Connie says:

NO! Thanks for telling us that! When I bought my first bag of Celtic sea salt online I was flabberghasted at the price but bought it because I believed it was healthier than regular salt. Thereafter I bought the cheapest sea salt I could find at the store. Am so glad to know I can go back to buying the cheapest regular stuff!

For many years I have been cutting back on salt and got to where I do not put it in rice or oatmeal or pasta anymore. But since I have been buying sea salt I have been less concerned about it. Now I need to cut back again. THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE INFO!

How about sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)? I recently read that taking a bit of that in water everyday will help to alkalinize our bodies, so I started doing it. Is that just as bad as taking sea salt?

Connie

64. Lori says:

My 102 year old grandmother tells me about the unbelievable amount of salt a family would use before the advent of refridgeration, and for many years after from habit. Everything to be kept was salted, pickled, smoked. Salt was used extensively in baking, and added to butter, cheeses even regularly sprinkled on summer melons. At least in my family, the grandparents and greatgrandparents lived much longer and healthier lives than the following generations. I guess I’m not convinced we have all the answers on the salt issue yet reguardless of the type.

65. Irina says:

Funny, Kevin, I just had the same discussion about salt with my brother-in-law. Seems everyone is blaming salt for all kinds of things these days. I believe everyone needs different amounts of salt. People with adrenal fatigue and low blood pressure and those living in warm climates may need more, people with tendency towards hypertension or tumors might do well to use less or none at all. If you want to be scientific about it, do the electrolyte blood test and find out for sure. I still think unprocessed salt is better, and trace minerals are important. By the way, 2.5g of salt only contains 1g of sodium. Most excessive sodium intake comes from processed foods anyway. I think you will be hard pressed to eat the same amount of salt on a raw diet as someone does on a SAD diet. None of the experts out there say the same thing about salt, and Doug Graham is not my guru anyway. I am glad I switched to sea salt (celtic) from the regular iodized processed junk, and I feel better on it, even on rare occasions when I overdo it; I definitely use less of it than regular processed salt, as sea salt has a taste and flavor of its own (not to mention the outrageous price – that alone will inspire one to use less, lol).

66. Jen says:

I still limit my salt consumption yet i’m one of those with lower blood pressure.
    I am aware of other ways of improving this condition. I had consulted a natropath at one point in the last couple of years and i was recomended salt to improve the low blood pressure.
    I believe questions need to be answered about the Himalayin salt and fleur de sel ( good ol’ french salt).
    And also those (the smaller percentage) that do have lower blood pressure as information for us is alot harder to come by.

67. Jen says:

Can you buy Herbamere in America?

68. patricia says:

I know I’m a big offender when it comes to salt and that I need to cut back. Putting aside the issue of trace minerals, I chose sea salt because it is a product of nature with minimal processing, while I was under the impression that regular table salt is a 100% un-natural, “forced together” compound made in a chem lab.
    Someone in the comments mentioned sodium bicarbonate and I also have questions on this, would love to see you do a show on its many uses and benefits. I know it’s very alkaline and people sometimes use it to balance body ph, but do you have to be mindful of timing so as to not neutralize stomach acid while there is food being digested? I see it recommended often but never any mention of timing its use.

69. Hi Kevin, you’re absolutely right about the Brittahy Murphy stuff, if she would have been consuming a turmeric supplement, all turmeric would have been banned because it could be considered “dangerous”, but not the bunch of other medications she was taking.
    About the salt, I agree with you, we can get all those minerals from the fruits and vegetables, but the thing you didn’t say was that, if you consume salt it better be sea salt because table salt has tons of other dangerous chemicals added.

70. Barbara says:

Some very insightful comments here. It’s great.
    Well I guess I’ll add my two cents. In my research on salt, I found that some brands of “sea salt” are just as stated, hype, selling you a bill of goods. If there is a difference it isn’t a health one. Some salts are a little better because they retain more minerals. But , not enough to justify the cost. Most very reputable sites do charge high prices… yea sounds like an oxymoron reputable & price gouging? Some yes but these guys are entrepreneurial and they do discover things that are better for us, after it’s in the main stream it will even out. That’s up to us, to have a say in not being taken down any garden path.

OK back to salt, Himalayan salt appears to be a better salt, first the way it is processed retains most of the minerals. That is the difference, the minerals in real Natural salts is what is good for you. If you wonder do what I do, if you think it helps, first look at history, what did man do in the past… then look at the animal kingdom, when I was in Kenya we watched bulls come down to what is called a salt lick. They just spend time licking the ground which had a large amounts of salt.

We do need the minerals contained in real natural salt. Which are stripped out of regular table salt. And why they ever did that is a mystery to me! How much is up to each person we are all different. But I think most of our foods do not contain the needed amount of most minerals. Why ? Because the minerals are trace minerals, in our foods in trace amounts, that’s all that is needed. So? They are the firs to go when our food is shipped and then cooked. How did early man get his salt? That would be a viable question. The healthy minerals in real salt, (some call it pink salt), are necessary, so maybe if you don’t want salt you can take a supplement. Although the consensus is that getting nutrition from foods is the best.

When I used to use regular table salt, the next day my fingers would be swelled, too much salt, that’s my sign. With Himalayan salt, I don’t see that. One thing to watch out for is the salt is very very mild compared to the harshness of table salt.
    Makes you want to use more, don’t, Himalayan or Hudson River… too much is too much!
    If you get the salt in rock form you need a special grinder, the salt is very hard, Amazon sells the salt and a ceramic type grinder.

71. Barbara says:

I have another comment: Yikes I gotta a lot to say today LOL.

DRUGS V. HERBS
    To put it simply one is safe one is not.
    As to the person who wrote about herbal supplements compared to drugs. If herbs and supplements were as you say ‘regulated’, it would be the end of our being healthy. The idea of Big Parmas is to stop herbal remedies because they cure.
    What are drugs? They are the end result of medicinal plants broken down to their different parts. The “active” part of the plant, is the part that does the initial blocking of symptoms if you will. They then isolate that, chemically reproduce it and make a drug. Why then would drugs be so lethal? Because what they have done is take only that one active part of the plant without all the parts that are the checks and balances, those properties that make the medicinal plants safe! But what profit do they make if they can’t make a drug? NONE and there stands the rub. They have taken effedra off the market. Two reasons, one is that companies that made their products didn’t use it properly and People, who misused it, that thought that more is better. Neither was good. So Big pharma salivating over this chance to demonize all herbal medicines got it taken off the market. NO study here, just in and take it out! The last thing they want is a safe alternative that can cure us. Drugs cover up symptoms, they don’t cure.
    I say to the FDA, the best friend of the drug companies, just do this, use the same parameters on “legal” drugs as they did on Effedra. But then they would have to take every drug off the market. Most people die from the complications from drugs than from their original disease. And now drug companies create diseases so they can make more drugs.
    They reclassify every blink of your eye into a dis-ease. Most of the time the symptoms your body shows are indications that it is fighting to keep you alive and the body running well. What your body needs from you is a bit of corporation!
    Feed it properly, healthy foods that contain the nutrition that will keep you and us all a longer and healthier life.

If you aren’t sure about supplements, or herbal remedies, try homeopathic remedies. They are FDA approved. Happened before the pharmaceuticals got their grip on the FDA.
    You can go to Boiron.com they have an alphabetical list and explanations of all the different homeopathic remedies, good place to learn. Then you can buy what you feel is right for you. Boiron doesn’t sell them from their site, I wish !. But they have lists of stores around the country that do. I know Whole Foods by me has a pretty large selection. More than most stores, health or otherwise.
    Enjoy, and be your own advocate for your health.

72. Jack says:

Glad somebody is telling people that salt is salt and most people are getting way, way to much of it.

I have stopped cooking with it for the most part because people just add more salt to it when the eat the food. Most of the time just out of habit.

Like sugar, once you cut down on it you tend to loose the need for it.

Now if you are doing very athletic events or in a situation where you are sweating a lot and loosing a lot of water you need to replace not only the water, you indeed will need to replace the salt along with other minerals. I have a couple of drinks I make to help with this and personally like to eat some organic potato chips, baked if I can.

I do still buy the sea salt because I believe it is cleaner for the most part and contains less other harmful stuff from the processing. That is just me.

73. Lisa says:

YES, it’s very possible, and even easy, to eat waayyy too much salt on a raw or minimally cooked whole foods diet. And high blood pressure isn’t the only problem it causes … too much salt (and it doesn’t take that much) can knock the sodium-potassium balance off and cause heart palpitations. I know, this happened to me on a 80% raw, whole foods diet.

Brittany Murphy and drugs … we’re not all equal when it comes to *metabolizing* drugs … so what is fine for one person can be an overdose for another. This is the purpose in CYP450 testing, which can predict drug interactions based on personal genetics. All exogenous toxins (all drugs) are metabolized by enzymes in the liver (CYP450 enzymes) and some of us are deficient or even absent in those enzymes, which can now be tested for. Anyway, so if one person is deficient in one enzyme, and takes 2 or 3 drugs that use that enzyme, one or more of those drugs isn’t going to be metabolized leading to an overdose (even though it’s been taken as directed). And that’s probably what happened to Murphy.

re: Himalayan salt, of course it’s got just as much sodium!

74. Beth says:

A few years ago I transitioned from regular “table salt” to the unrefined sea salt. I even started taking a little shaker with me when we traveled or went out to eat.
    Now I am transitioning from sea salt to sea vegetables (dulse & kelp). I bought the shakers with the granules and have mostly been using those instead of sea salt.

75. Rhonda D says:

Great info Kevin,

We must do everthing in moderation.

You know with a little time and effort we can change our entire way of eating.

My hat goes off to those willing to change.

have a wonderful day!

76. Jacquie says:

Hi Kevin!

I don’t use table salt (for obvious reasons) nor sea salt (due to the contamination of our oceans). I only use Himalayan pink salt (for its extraordinary content of 84 minerals essential to sustaining life…in addition to the sodium chloride) and make solay with it and consume my 1 t. of solay in a glass each day. For those interested, you can get it from http://www.americanbluegreen.com or from http://www.mercola.com. For anyone who would like to read about the benefits, you can read “Water and Salt” by Dr. Barbara Hendel. You can also find an interview on http://www.mercola.com that Dr. Mercola did with her. As far as salting foods goes, I use very little and will only use the himalayan. Matt Monarch says black himalayan salt mixed into an avocado tastes something like egg mayo? Haven’t tried that yet. Blessings & Health!

77. Our natural sea salts contain the mineral rich brine. Our Light Grey Celtic has 84% sodium chloride and the rest is trace minerals and moisture. The brine is high in Magnesium, Potassium, Selenium, and Calcium, and very low in sodium. Sea salt can be refined, and all of the vital trace minerals are stripped out sold to industry. Natural sea salt that has the mineral rich brine is far more tasty and wholesome than processed salt. Tests done on salt vs sea salt are done with refined sea salt if they say they both have the same NaCl, and if you would like a copy of the analysis please email ian@selinanaturally.com. I will be happy to answer your salt questions, as our company has been in the salt industry for over 30 years. Thousands of individuals and hundreds of doctors recommend natural salt to refined salt every day. See the difference for yourself, and when the salt is natural you can truly salt to taste.
    Thanks for getting people thinking about salt, because the news is all about reducing sodium. Natural lifestyles with a natural diet may one day be the focus of mainstream media, but for now we must watch them threaten to demonize salt without distinguishing the difference between the refined and the unrefined. Time will tell, so Salt Well~Live Well!

78. Marie1225 says:

Hi Kevin,

I agree with you about salt. I thought the only difference between sea salt and table salt was the processing and the bleach. I’m still correct, aren’t I?

Just read the labels and compare. I’ve noticed people in his country have a severe salt addiciton. My husband won’t even taste my food before he loads on the salt.

First of all, thats insulting, and second of all so bad for you. I do like a little bit of sea salt for taste though. Really thats all we should be using salt for is to kick up the flavor.

Anyone who is using salt for the minerals is deceived. Its kind of like the whole chocolate thing. If you think you’re doing your body a service by eating chocolate forget it.

If you want antioxidants eat fruits and veggies. If you want calcium eat and other minerals eat green leafy veggies, and drink kefir. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Marie

79. Chris & Sara says:

WHewey Kev, You did cause quite a stir!! :)

I laugh, but i know how attached we can be to salt/sugar. I personally (sara) have been the “Salty Senorita” my whole life. I love salt. And many years ago I switched to the supposed “good” sea salts/himalayan/ancient/celtic … but one thing, is if I ask myself deep down honestly is it GOOD FOR ME? I think deep down, I know that less is more in this case. Good or bad salt.
    I did not know about the same sodium levels.. but makes sense.

I can definitely tell that too much salt is not good. If we eat a pretty salty meal, the next day I am more dehydrated and swollen fingers, HELLO !! A communication from our bodies… So as attached as we may be to the TASTE- we should really just feel what works.

I will try to ween down on the salt, cuz I know the more you eat, the more you crave/need. I would ultimately like it if I were more sensitive to the sodiums in my veggies rather than needing to add more with the salt.

I liked the explanation from Michael T. (Aloha Michael!!) about the water balancing it. I feel that its true. I drink a ton o water thank goodness. I can tell when I dont, definite difference.

THanks Kev for stirring up the controversy.. good to make us all think!!!

We love ya!

Aloha~

C&S

80. Yep, sea salt is SALT after all. But it’s advantage over table salt is that it is not refined with other additives in it. It is *better* than using table salt. But it is good to not use it (sea salt/himalayan/celtic/whatever) at all. If you do continue to use small amounts of salt, use 1 of the types of sun-dried sea salt that is unrefined.

81. PE says:

So many questions, but to Sheila’s (#44), yes tamari and Brag”s are bvetter than any salt, but only in the way that salted foods are better than salt.
    Thanks to Brigitte (#10) for her experiment with all salts including Himalayan. Yes, salt is salt, though less processed is less bad.
    Again, we only NEED maybe 200mg sodium, and from the Paleolithic have got that from foods.
    As a rule of thumb, I allow 500-1200mg sodium daily, and the science shows cutting your sodium to 1500mg is good for you, and has the side effect of cutting out nearly all junk or mfd food.
    Sea veg are good sodium sources (duh), but their limiting element is iodine (or lead), so ‘dose’ maybe 6 grams of dulse or nori (like cacao, whose J curve is best at 6g), less of others.
    When you hear of studies ‘proving’ something, ask if the advocate is selling the stuff and did the study, and whether it was peer-reviewed and published in a reputable journal. If not, it’s just an assertion. “I like Oatie-Os!”
    Another rule of thumb, for raw people. Kevin and Victoria Boutenko do pretty good science, and our comments can correct errors fast. There’s a LOT of larceny in this movement, and a LOT of pseudo-science.

82. Angela says:

Salt. That doesn’t surprise me that they are similar in NaCl to table salt. But, what does surprise me is the effect on blood pressure being the same as table salt. Can you talk about the salts that do not contribute to blood pressure. I am under the impression from articles, websites, people from my local healthfood store that Himalayian salt does not contribute to raising blood pressure, nor does some other untampered, unprocessed salts. I thought that table salt was so bad because of the processing it goes through making it unrecognizable to the body and then raising blood pressure.

83. Angela says:

Kevin, you and Ann Marie have beautiful skin. You both really do. : ) In my opinion, anyone on the raw food diet I do not think has to worry about getting heart disease or hypertension, those diseases are so based on diet and exersise. I really respect the healing powers of raw food.

84. nick says:

Most people are dehydrated, so when that together with other stressors puts them in the hospital they’re given saline solution IV’ly. It happened to me like that. While the saline was dripping they gave me an antibiotic. I resisted, but finally caved in and took one of the, maybe 3, they tried to foist upon me. Then they tried to convince me it was the antibiotics that made me feel so much better.

Now check out pedialyte. It’s used for oral rehydrating babies, children, and now popular with many adults.

85. June says:

Hi Kevin,
    Thank you for bringing this subject out in the open. I didn’t know until recently when I went to my Cardiologist. I have Hypertension and the Dr. told me to stay off using All SALT, including Sea Salt.
    I feel sorry for the star who lost her life with the toxicity of the drugs.
    I can vouch for the side effects of prescription drugs. I have many Allergies from the Dr.s trying to prescribe to me.
    One in particular which was suppose to control my Blood Pressure, cause me to have a Mini Stroke!!!!
    Please who read this message, please be warned that what the Dr.s are trying to prescribe is not always right for your body.
    June

86. Jill says:

I didn’t know that about sea salt and table salt, very interesting! I don’t purposely add salt to my food and I’m not the one who cooks in our family…usually my fiance’s mom, brother, or his brother’s wife cooks for all of us so whatever salt they use in cooking the food is what I consume.

87. Elissa says:

No, I did not know that about sea salt, which I use and have used for years. I don’t use that much, but will be cutting down more that I have the correct info. Thanks Kevin!

88. Jana says:

Kevin, I have a suspicion you haven’t read anything published by Dr David Brownstein in light of your conclusion on today’s topic. I’d be interested to hear if you still have the same opinion after hearing what Dr Brownstein has to say about salt. A quick introduction can be found in a radio interview at

89. Thomas says:

Concerning dulse, which I eat a handful of daily:

This explains the contents of dulse and also speaks of sodium, etc.

90. Rob says:

I LOVE ALL THESE COMMENTS. I don’t usually read them all but I knew this topic was going to lead to some very entertaining discussions. I agree with Michael Pollan that we’re all hard wired to crave salt, sugar and fat. And judging from the comments I would say the health conscious Renegade Health community is just as addicted to Celtic Sea Salt and Himalayan Salt as they are or were to Agave Nectar. Thank you Kevin to opening up the discussion about this. I switched to Himalayan Crystal Salt after learning about it from Mercola.com several years ago but after spending nine weeks at The Hippocrates Health Institute I now only use Sea Vegetables. I love them so much better than salt. There are such incredible varieties and flavors to try. But again, it’s all about moderation. My QUESTION is what do you think about using salt for oral care like the Toothswish product from Toothsoap that is made with Himalayan Salt?

91. Mike says:

Nicely done on the salt issue. Did not know. Have tried sea salt “thinking” I was doing myself better. N-O-T.

Thanks,

Mike

92. Lillian says:

We think that we are doing the right thing by taking sea salt instead of ordinary table salt, I find it concerning that after years of having sea salt and now you are saying this makes me feel sick. I just cant belief this is happening. I would like to aks a question. What is the best thing to do when you are low in sodium?

93. Dawni says:

This segment is more important of particular import…

I fully on the points raised regarding Brittany…

On Sodium (use of salts)….

I am learning a great deal about how products are hyped via so called health information. I feel that the subject of sodium (salt) is one of those successful promotional campaigns — to promote Himalayan Pink Salt and other similar salts…

In the rare instances where one needs to add salts — the quality salts are more flavorful and some use more desirable processing methods.

I was never a salt user. However, I had a challenge with proper hydration. In my research sodium came up as something to enhance hydration. I tried various strategies including sole and did not receive the anticipated results overtime.

In my humble experiences, the best solution to properly hydrating my body is overall good mineralization. My best practice for proper mineralization — nutrient-dense, high-water content fresh, raw foods consume within 48 hrs of being harvested when the lifeforce is most present in the foods. After that the most alive food I can eat.

These minerals work synergistically and work when approached that way. Adding them in a singular fashion did not produce the results, I was after. There is an intelligence lost when we break minerals down into its parts and administer them mechanically.

This defies the nature of the minerals and simply does not work optimally, for me.

I am certain this applies to our lab tests, as well. Without a holistic approach, we will likely miss the point of the story the body seeks to tell. We need to understand well the role each element examined plays in the role. I do not feel medicine understands the synergies involved and the constant micro-adjustments taking place in the body to maintain equilibrium. This includes our environment consisting of our mental, physical and emotional states of being.

Who is looking at all dimensions?

Dawni…

94. earthstar says:

to RJ
    Herbamare is not a salt substitute; it is sea salt mixed with dried herbs and vegetables.

95. Rani says:

Thanks for your information on sea salt. Have you heard of a book called “Salt Your Way to Health” by David Brownstein, M.D.?? In it he talks about how hypertension is not related to salt itself but the processing of it–so he found that when his high blood pressure patients consumed sea salt, their levels dropped across the board.

My personal experience with Celtic sea salt so far has been only positive. I used to have allergies and sneeze constantly every morning –like 8-10 times in a row–for years! A Naturopath gave me a few days sample of sea salt and told me to take 1/4 tsp. each morning in 16 oz. slightly warm water. I did this and 3 days later, I stopped sneezing ENTIRELY! She said my symptoms were due to a deficiency in some minerals, of which the salt has approximately 80, so it doesn’t matter which one I was lacking!

I bought the salt for myself and took it for a week every day, and since then take it about 3 times a week to keep it up. I also put a small pinch in my salads and smoothies. I began in May 2009 and since then I have had absolutely no allergy symptoms and no longer sneeze ridiculously!

96. FeralKevin says:

I’m really tired of it, too! Murphy’s death affected me more than usual celebrity deaths, thanks for sharing

97. Cindy (Sydney, Australia) says:

Kevin,
    Could you clarify if the sea salt you are talking about is “Celtic” sea salt and if other salts like pink, grey or himalayan are the same in mineral content as what you mentioned.
    Thanks

98. Cherie says:

Too funny Kevin, saying unrefined salt is the same as that chemical salt is like saying all cars are the same because they have 4 wheels. The salt that most people buy has 2 ingredients: sodium and chloride. So it’s been bleached to make it white and to make it free flowing they add aluminum and Ammonium Citrate. Unrefined salt in it’s natural form ,such as Celtic or Redmonds salt has 80 plus minerals and elements. That’s like comparing a microwave TV dinner with a green smoothie. If you want some scientific research for salt Dr David Brownstein has written a good book about it WITH references. Also I did my own personal experiment on me before I even read his book, I found when I was not eating any salt my body did NOT like it. Also when I was doing too much it did NOT like that either. I just heard somebody in a lecture say that too little salt and too much slat will both make you dehydrated. I guess our 70% saline solution in our bodies need it. Oh, I think it was David Wolfe in a part 2 clip of his Longevity promo thing. Any way, take care and thanks for all you do.

99. Wonda says:

That was too cute! Thx!

100. Wonda says:

Oops, I had this page and the carrot show open at the same time….obviously the avove comment was for the carrot show.

101. Radix says:

Your videos are very informational. I appreciate all info I can get pertaining to HEALTH. I’ve lost 33lbs and I’m trying my utmost to keep it off. I would like to get some info on celery. I cut down on my salt intake and uses a lot of celery in my food.

102. Jerry says:

kevin, salt is very important for our bodies, the problem with most people is they do not drink enough water to keep their water and salt balanced. Water carries salt out of the body, so we need to drink half our body weight in ounces of water to keep the water/salt ratio in balance. I have been doing this for some time and have had no problems whats so ever. I agree that we should not over do it with salt, but at the same time our bodies need salt so it can function properly. People who get edema from salt don’t drink enough water. Their bodies go into drought mode and start to hold water, its not the salt its the lack of water in their systems. Water is KING.

103. steph says:

Wow, many cool replies.
    I’m back to the intuition. I’ve been ‘off salt’ for at least 10 year. I consume it but make an effort not to. When I don’t, I have bionic energy and at 36m, never had any joint or muscle problems-and I’m an athlete and avid worker outer. I’m a hummus junky so that’s where my salt allowance comes in, but 97% of what I eat has no salt. When I eat too much of it, I am legthargic and feel terrible. So, I listen to the body. MY BODY SAYS NO TO SALT. Even when I sweat buckets in my summer workouts. When you cut it out, you begin to taste sodium in greens like chard and collards. You begin to crave sea veggies. I take marine phytoplankton when minerals are low. I have yet to explore the science behind what Dr. Young talks about in tissue salts.

104. Paula says:

I had outrageously high bp. Victoria Bidwell said don’t use any salt at all

105. Jeni says:

Hi Kevin

I am not sure if you put all the perspective on the salt issues. I read that processed table salt will push your BP up but not the sea/rock/celtic salt as it is not processed and has the digestability factors in there plus the trace minerals etc,…Also using Kelp/Dulse flakes as salt would not push up PB either as thier levels of sodium were about 1/3? if I remeber right.

I have tried the difference and my head says do not ever have processed salt in any chips eg,. as I will get a headache 10 minutes later from eating 2 mouthfuls of chips alone.

There were studies that Wild Oats put out in their literature a few years ago that proved the sea salt did not push BP up.

This is not a cart blanche to add what ever amount of salt you want–but you should still keep it low as long as there are no unwanted effects.

Just watched the carrot show that is so funny.

106. I take a mineral supplement called CMD (concentrated mineral drops) from the Great Salt Lake of Utah. Harvested from the north shore of the lake, the drops are stripped of sodium and contain only trace minerals. Have you guys heard of this product and if so what do you think of its quality? supposedly up to 75 trace minerals in there including the important magnesium, pottasium, and hopefully zinc and calcium…

Also there is another similar product sold here in the Philippines made by the Israelis and produced from the Dead sea…

107. Nick says:

Yes I know sea salt has as much sodium as table salt because the only difference I’m aware of is that table salt is made by stripping the trace minerals from sea salt. Consider tho that trace minerals are not at trace levels when the business is carried out at the usual gargantuan corepirate scale. I believe the only reason they replace some iodine is so our thyroids don’t scream bloody murder.

Then “Medical accidents” are not so accidental when over-the-counter drugs are not involved, and they’re not so uncommon either. Deaths, or worsened illness from medical treatment is called “IATROGENIC”. There are about 300,000 iatrogenic deaths in the US per year, last I looked. They probably don’t include that which can be easily denied. Disease “ETIOLOGY” is the traced path of illness development. Symptoms complicate by the side effects of pharmaceuticals whipping up other symptoms rationalizing yet another prescription & so on downward into terminal illness. So the system is rife with etiological denial. Then notice how they don’t bother looking at epidemiological studies, due to inconvenience by how much & how graphically they show reality.

108. Linda says:

Britney Murphy’s death was a shock, and unfortunately when we hear of deaths of actors
    our minds rush to judgement regarding drug use
    as it seems to happen so often. There’s so much information available about not mixing over the counter drugs with prescription drugs and/or natural medicines. I keep her family in my pray-
    ers.

I was extremely surprised about the sea salt
    reality check! I was told by a health food
    store that sea salt was better because of the
    added minerals and calcium. Thanks for the
    info…I appreciate you getting to the REAL
    truth for all of us.

109. luis says:

Very helpful, Kev! I guess my confusion comes about with “fermenting-vegetables”. How do you do to ferment them?
    I’d really appreciate an answer into this subject, considering that when you ferment your veggies, fruits, etc, the probiotics benefits you get from this process, out passes any other probiotic product you’d buy in a bottle, for instance.

Could you please elaborate on this?

Thanks a lot.