A Coconut Hunt in Key West (Is This Legal?) – The Renegade Health Show Episode #493

Thursday Jan 28 | BY |

It’s perfectly legal to hunt coconuts if you ask!

Today, we take a tour around the island looking for ripe coconuts with Randesh.

I even get up in the tree and pull a bunch down.

Randesh also shares a secret to clearing up his own eye infection. What a way to spend a Thursday! 🙂

Your question of the day: What healthy drink should you be drinking every day?

1. Jill says:

I should definitely be drinking milk every day, but more often than not, I don’t drink it. I used to drink TONS as a kid and I still love it, but pop or energy drinks or whatever else gets in the way. (Sharing a house with a large family doesn’t help either)

2. Geri says:

Excellent! Just like you folks were here on Maui! MMMMMM fresh coconuts, if it weren’t raining I’d make my hubby climb the tree and get me one! 🙂

My healthy drink of choice is pure water! Sometimes with fresh lemon juice squeezed into it!

3. john says:

Brandash ? you gave a very good tour.Your teeth and face look very healthy you are fortunate to have at your disposal all these coconuts,you must be a real cuppacia at this .Some time ago Kevin demonstrated that coconuts were one of the highest in electrolytes I think even more so than some green drinks or very close to the same using a food electrolyte meter .Thankyou Brandash ! Kevin and AnnMarie you must feel like a real NUT by now( ha ha joke) on your coconut adventure in understanding coconuts these past days .Enjoyed every minute of both you and Ann Marie on your coconut adventure Thankyou.

4. Leam says:

Water, of course. I drink coconut water quite often as well.

5. nick says:

Nice I love it Coconuts every day!!! I add a few raisins almond butter in my vita-mix yummmy! I am heading to Honduras to Wendy’s place in a couple of weeks I hope I can find some coconuts right off the tree:))))

6. Jehan Sandra Salem says:

I would love to drink more coconuts milk, and eat the meat, but here at Ukraine they are not good. I don’t know why but the smell just drive me crazy. Big fan of cocos.

7. Britt says:

Fresh green juice! I feel wonderful whenever I drink it. It feels like I get a boost in energy before I even finish drinking it. I’m trying to turn this into a daily practice.

Also, I need to start drinking more water. I’ve been careless lately and have become dehydrated.

8. Karen says:

Carrot juice, often with kale and celery first thing in the morning, after a couple T of probiotic in noni juice (space inbetween)

Then, a vitamin C, magnesium water drink usually at the gym,

I love to crack open a young coconut and drink the water and eat the jelly. I have 5 in the fridge now (even in Minnesota!)

YUM…

Was great to see you decide to go up and get them.

9. Dawni says:

Fresh coconut water would be nice anytime for me. My most favorite, fresh mountain waters from a head spring. Totally vital water – that would be my highest choice for a daily drinking!!!

What an adventure…we pay premium prices for anything coconut and look at all that abundance in Key West.

You RAWK for climbing that ladder and harvesting that bunch of coconuts Kevin. That is one item that you won’t need to put on a bucket list.

Dawni

10. Tamikko says:

for us it’s coconut water. We drink lots of water, but coconuts are expensive here (BC Canada) $3 each.

11. I have fantastic mountain water here in NE PA Drinking close to a gallon a day in the winter.
    Summer I enjoy watermelon juice.
    If I had coconuts all over the place like that I would probably drink coconut water everyday. Delicious.
    Kevin be careful with the Machete if he gives it you to open a coconut while holding it.

12. Cheryl Holt says:

Water, pure unadulterated water…..spring water…..filtered water….lovely water.

Cool coconut harvesting!!!! Enjoyed watching all of you enjoying those coconuts afterwards.

YUMMY!

Great way to open a coconut and drink it fresh! WOO HOO!

13. Brian says:

Green smoothie and filtered water.

14. hi kevin and annemarie

i was in touch with lisa miller to connect with you in florida as i will be there feb 9th till the 23rd

as for the healthiest thing to drink, i would agree that it is coconut water, if you can get it fresh from the tree and not the way you see it in the stores wrapped in plastic

since i do not drink those, i have been getting the brand ONE http://www.onedrinks.con and they have been my unofficial sponsor for the cleanses i have done and i have 3 separate guest posts on their blog of my 3 week coconut water cleanse and you can check that out at http://onenaturalexperience.blogspot.com/search?q=mindy+goldis

recently, i have completed a 42 day cleanse using coconut water and stevia water and created my own blog and you can view that at http://www.rawsomegal.wordpress.com and to start from day 1 you need to click on december 2009 so you read about my day to day experiences…i continue to post weekly and share what is happening in my body physically, as well as other things i am feeling..

namaste!
    chef mindy aka ageless raw beauty

15. Mary Kay says:

I’m jealous.

16. Sophia says:

It’s very important to drink Water everyday. I love coconut water too!!! I really loved the Not Egg Salad Recipe from yesterday. I can’t wait to try it- I was so excited about it!

17. Save your fingers try using COCOTAP
    designed to use while you are still up the palm so as you pick the fizziest bunch….yummmmmmmm

18. Nicole says:

I just started making green juices yesterday, although I don’t think I’m ready for an all-green-no-fruit-one yet.

19. esther says:

I love: kombucha, coconut water, juicing veggies and greens and of course spring water.

20. RJ says:

Well, well, After veiwing that video you filmed, Annmarie, I was tempted to have a shot of whiskey…

Oh my, Randesh is huggable, but Kevin’s butt made me want to cry 🙂

I love drinking my home brew of kombucha. Wonder if any readers out there used all coconut water to brew kombucha. Did any of you know that coconut water was a WW2 tool…

Thank you, Juliet, for your post yesterday on how coconut saved your health!

Love that you 2 beauties are in Key West. Could you take us to the “Eat it Raw” joint in Key West. I know, but what the hell…

Thank you for your brave knowledge,Randesh. Please take them to “Eat it Raw”

🙂

21. Jan says:

Wheatgrass

22. RJ says:

OOps, I forgot to leave credit to the artist of the formidable Eat it Raw restaurant in Key West. Here it is…

23. Alan says:

Water!
    …..and green smoothies. Here’s one of my favorite recipes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZWDnO2tDds

24. Koa Sky says:

Super! Couldn’t always understand/hear Radish. What did he say about a sack and picking?

25. junglegirl says:

“hugging it with your lips” ! God, I love that. Great video and well done, Kevin.

26. Sandi says:

While in Key West check out A.K.E.(A KEY ENCOUNTER) Wildlife Theatre at 291 Front St. in the Clinton Square Market Mall. Enjoyed this coconut video.. I have a terrible time opening a coconut.. maybe what I need is a machete! .. Have a great trip. Sandi

27. Erika says:

Wow, THANK YOU for the great, intelligent, sunny show. Randesh has a radiant smile (as do both of you, Kevin and Ann) and you all made my day, here in snowy Switzerland!

Well, we’re all supposed to drink milk here (the cows would lead a revolution if we didn’t – or so the Swiss farmers say) – but I am more in the radix than in the matrix, so drinking green smoothies.

Happy wishes to all,

28. water with lemon juice squeezed in…i love it but need to start drinking tons more water…other than that, I love drinking my green smoothie every morning…AND I just got the Ormus Greens in the mail so I’m excited to give that a try 🙂

This video makes me wanna move there so I can get some of those nice coconuts!!! I love the way he cuts them too!!!

29. jodie says:

A very nice show.
    “foot gloves” LOL you had your toe shoes on Kev.

How can you know that the coconuts have not been sprayed with pesticides? I looked up coconut pesticides because I can get any that are ‘organic’ in CA and found that there are quite a few different sprays used.

30. Mary says:

We love water. I would love to be able to drink fresh coconut water everyday. Ahh, that would be the ultimate.
    So, we grow our own wheat grass for smoothies. So, good for us.
    Ok, we bought the only coconuts available to us in central Indiana. A sorry site after seeing the nice fresh ones. I am wondering how you know if they are still good??? Can anyone tell me? farminmarbles@yahoo.com. We cracked them open and had about an hour fight with getting all the meat out to make our eggless, egg salad. Wow, that was some work. I think someone might starve trying to get the meat out of one of these. There has to be an easier way.
    You guys are beautiful, including Randesh.!!
    Peace;
    Mary

31. Crystal says:

How fun was that! Randesh was delightful and Kevin… you are such a good sport. Thank you. Living in Michigan… I am envious of the ability to get fresh coconut…It is these videos that make me want to move to a warm climate.

32. Beth says:

Excellent episode.
    When I’m in Barbados I love watching the coconuts being harvested. They still do it by climbing the trees, as the trees are really tall.
    Getting them fresh from the tree is great. Such a difference from the ones in the stores.

33. Magdalena says:

Great Show
    I drink one coconut a day sometimes two. I start to study coconut water since 1983 after a health problem in the Indian occean. I am hook to coconut!!

34. Craig says:

The best thing to drink everyday is Fresh Sprout juice.Its living Energy that beats anything else hands down, Sprout Mung Beans,Fenugreek Seeds ,Alfalfa .red clover And Broccili seeds.Grow in jars or sprout bags anjd juice in a green star juicer.You can feel the Life .Its like hooking a dead battery to a battery charger

35. Joan says:

1. Water with fresh lemon
    2. Green smoothies(greens, fruit & water)
    3. Fresh extracted juice (carrots, celery, beet and apple) or any combination you like!

36. organic cider vinegar with water, it’s alkalinizing. ever since i started drinking it i feel amazing. now i drink it everyday.

but coconut water is definitely the most refreshing drink there is. if i had more money i would drink it everyday.

37. nancy says:

Water, water, water…but would love to climb a palm and get my own coconut too!! You two know how to make life FUN!! Thanks for all your shows!

38. Chris & Sara says:

Aloha!

We love the “urban coconut hunting” …. That is awesome! We could just imagine the song in the background- …. “Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do when they come for you?”

Puts a new spin on the RENEGADE Health Show . LOL> 🙂

Kevin- so glad you got up there, you would have regretted not doing it! Good for you! You should see the guys that go with out a ladder!!

Rendash makes it look sooo easy to open the coco. I have a hilarious vid of Chris trying to open them. Lets just say there is a “learning curve” 🙂

As for what to drink everyday… We need more green juices. We got on a green smoothie kick and missing our green juices. Of course water, but we are pretty good on that.

THanks for a grrrreat show! You guys look awesome in the tropics. I can already see a sunny glow appearing on your perty faces. I think it will make for a great base tan for when you come to visit us on Maui!

Love ya!!!

Chris & Sara

39. Tyra McMahon says:

I love freshly made green juice. Cucumber, celery,carrot, kale,apple,lemon and lime (cilantro is amazing too)!

But if I could get ahold of a fresh coconut like that I would be drinking it every day.

40. CocoDaveSuperhero says:

Aloha:

Coconut water
    Fresh young coconuts three to five a day.
    my daly wake up call is coconut cream smoothies with plenty of super foods.
    Love N Lght
    Coco Dave

PS
    Keven
    When You and your wife visit the big island
    please stop and visit
    cocos a plenty

Peace

41. Page says:

I drink primarily water. I put coconut water in my smoothies every day. And I allow myself an occasional glass of white wine or cup of green tea.

42. John says:

Randesh has your hair Kevin. You two should be advertising for some hair products. 🙂 I would love to be able to hunt coconuts. I wondered if it was allowed when I was in South Florida in December.

43. Barbara W. says:

Great show. I should be doing more green juices.

Kev, the chat link for yesterday’s Inner Circle chat is not working. Please help! Thanks!

44. Laura says:

Cool show! Looked like lots of fun.

45. Courtney says:

#1 is abviously water…..and ALOT of it!
    #2 is green juice.

Both, in my opinion should be consumed every day (with a little coconut water on the side)

46. Ed says:

Your best show ever, the question of the day is obvious, fresh coconut milk and rum.

47. Carol Lani Johnson says:

This week we were just on Big Pine Key (actually Cook’s Island) & my stepson climbed a palm tree & we ate/drank some coconuts. Interesting but the ones I got from the ground which were older & more dried out tasted better than the young green ones. The water was sweeter & the older meat was sweeter than the (kinda bitter) jelly. Since I am used to the young Thai coconuts I buy in Asheville, NC I thought the younger would be sweeter. It looked like Randesh had an intuition about finding the good ones for sure! Amazing ability with that machete, too! I had raw tacos & raw choc pudding & raw ginger ice cream at Help Yourself on Fleming St (@ Margaret St) in Key West. YUMMM! Now I am home to find a foot of snow. Still have some coconut in my fridge i flew back with from the Keys!

48. Rita Fidler says:

Hey Kevin went to Key West this September and did the same thing, but I did not climb the tree! Drank alot of fresh coconut milk at a little store across from the Southernmost Hotel on Duval Street. That’s my healthy drink of the day.

49. Genevieve says:

Wow! That was fun! How do you know the people who live there don’t want the coconuts themselves though? Hmmmm….

I like spring water, fresh juices and teas. Would love to indulge in coconut water too, but they are pricey in Canada and mostly already old.

Question: Is it okay to consume canned coconut water and milk? I use canned coconut milk all the time and love it.

P.S. Randesh is gorgeous.

50. Wonda says:

I drink fresh coconut water as often as possible, it is def my beverage of choice. I live in Honduras, so that makes it easy. Blessings!

51. linda says:

alkalined water
    I used to have a hard time drinking water. could never do recommended daily cups, not with tap or bottled.
    i got a santevia, and it works well for me.

I get coconut water from Mary at Clinical Nutrition here in Nanaimo BC Canada. I love it and my daughter insists on it for her soccer. expensive at the store…$3 for one!

green smoothies are important everyday too

big hugs!

52. kris says:

wow what a luxuary !!A LADDER AND CLIPPERS!! ive had to resort to throwing rocks and fallen coconuts to get my breakfast!!!lol and i didnt have a car either!!

53. Gwen says:

My favorite drink is a green juice I make every Sunday evening. I juice 3 stalks celery, ¼ of a lemon, 6 to 10 leave romaine lettuce, and two apples. If I want it to have a little bit I use Granny Smith apples and if I want it sweet a use Gala apples

54. Jeanne says:

As a Floridian of 22 years, I didn’t realize how much I took for granted the access to natural edible foods we enjoy until I saw your joy and the comments on just how wonderful it is to live in Florida. I love coconuts and their antifungal properties have made a daily part of my life as I continue to recover from the effects of black mold that devastated my health 18 months ago.