How to Treat Brittle Nails – The Renegade Health Show #484

Friday Jan 15 | BY |

This is a popular question that we’ve received over the last year…

I’ll explain how to deal with brittle nails and what to look at if you have them.

I also talk about having gas on the raw food diet, if I really believe that if you’re addicted to diet soda that you can just add green powder to help, and I reveal my “man-crush”.

Your question of the day: What do you think of the Will Smith video?

Click here to visit Jonathan and Carrie’s blog and watch the Will Smith video!

1. Jon says:

Hello, Kevin. Great show. I do have a question for you: what do you think about Umac Core’s Phytoplankton? Thanks.

2. Cindy says:

How do you test one’s thyroid without going to a doctor? Then if it’s active or slow, what is needed?

Thank you. Have a great weekend. 🙂

3. Hey KevAnn and the renegade health gang,

Thanks so much for mentioning that video. One word comes to mind when watching it, POWERFUL. He speaks straight from the heart. He speaks the truth. I believe what he says is the absolute truth and every word of it rings true to my own beliefs and live. Thank you for helping spread the truth.

Much Love and Support,

Jordan Lidster

4. Terri says:

Will is the epitome of passion, thank you Kevin for sharing!!!!

Terri

sorry, no man or woman crushes I can think of right now

5. Joel Saenz says:

Gotta say Kevin got a man crush on ya 😉

6. imlivingandlearning says:

Hi Kevin,

It’s called a “girl crush” when it’s between women.

THANK YOU for “preaching” that it’s NOT about taking AWAY. It’s about ADDING! Imagine a glass of dirty water. After adding, adding, adding, clean water to the glass in time you will come to have a glass that ONLY contains clean water.

I also thank you for NOT being a pompous raw food elitist! (E.g., your staff) Your perspective is much needed in this area of health reform. Kudos to you!

Have a very nice weekend.

7. Quinny says:

I think Will Smith’s video is both inspirational & admirable. At this point of my life, I could really use a video like this. Thanks for sharing!

8. Tom says:

Good info Kevin. May I add a few comments and recommendations? These assume there isn’t a medical issue such as thyroid or endocrine problems. The assumption is also made that frequent contact with chemicals and solvents isn’t the cause.

One thing I noticed after converting to a raw food diet is that I had my hands in water more often: washing fruits and vegetables, frequent washing after prepping fruits and vegetables, cleaning blenders and food processors, etc.

Your nails can absorb 20-25% of the water they are exposed to and they expand and contract as a result. This contributes to brittle nails. Long bathes or soaking in a hot tub can do the same thing.

Nails are protein (keratin). Many people feel our bodies need lots of protein. Any study of raw food will teach you that we overestimate our protein needs. Excessive protein binds Vitamin B7 or biotin. Dermatologists say that biotin can strength nails, hair, and skin. Making sure your have enough biotin may help prevent brittle nails.

Recommendations
    Use a moisturizer after washing fruits, veggies, dishes, and hands. Additionally, simply brushing your nails with a vegetable oil work wonders. Olive, safflower or coconut oil would be good. Massage it into your nails and nail beds. The massage will also improve circulation to the nails.

You might benefit from a Vitamin B7 (biotin) supplement. Foods rich with biotin are missing from a raw food diet: dairy products, egg yolks, shellfish, chicken breasts, and organ meats—all taboo for us raw foodists!

Oats, soy, and brown rice are also a good source of biotin; again, not common in a raw food diet. However, cauliflower, walnuts, and sunflower seeds are fairly good sources of biotin, not enough to overcome a deficiency, but good to maintain biotin levels. You would have to eat a lot to get sufficient quantities of biotin. Try 2,500 to 5,000 mcg of Vitamin B7 daily.

Finally, keep your nails trimmed short to avoid any damage to already brittle nails. Good luck!

9. Veronika says:

That Will Smith video is awesome! Thanks for posting. My woman crush is probably Meryl Streep. Another AMAZING video to watch is the Fred Rogers interview (Mr. Roger’s neighborhood) on the Charlie Rose show. That man was absolutely brilliant and has a beautiful soul.

10. Gaseous Clay says:

Hey Kevin,

I’m having terrible problems with digestion. I’ve been vegan for a long time and suffer from chronic diarrhea. I’ve been living high raw for the past year and this doesn’t seem to have improved my digestion situation all that much, although I am feeling much better. I eat a higher fruit, lower fat diet, with plenty of greens and some cooked grains (read quinoa). I’m still fairly young and active. Can you make any suggestions to improve my situation?

Thanks!

11. imlivingandlearning says:

Nice video compilation of Will Smith interviews! I enjoyed it. Now to PRACTICE it! 😉

12. Karen Jackson says:

Will’s video is very inspirational. I had no idea he was so heavy. No wonder he is so successful. Thanks for sharing, Kevin!

13. Jackie says:

You are right, Kevin, Will Smith has always touched and inspired me. He is wise beyond his years. I always enjoyed him as an actor and respected him as a family man, but he is a far deeper person that that.

14. imlivingandlearning says:

Oh! I want to add to the question about raw food and gas. SOME digestive systems REALLY benefit from hygienic eating (food combining) principles. For some people food combining is NECESSARY.

15. Jill says:

lol I haven’t heard the term woman crush…I believe the term is girl crush? Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. No woman crushes for me but I do have one male celebrity I really admire and think is cute, my fiance laughs at me for that.

Its the lead guitar player of my favorite band…haha whenever we are able to go to a concert of theirs he always tells me “don’t worry I won’t block your view of him! (Galder)”

Thanks for the information on brittle nails too, I can never let mine grow out that much or else they’ll peel right off! yuck! I don’t wear my nails long anyways though.

16. Kristen says:

Love the Will Smith video – He mentioned the book The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho…I’m going to pick it up.

Questions about herbs in general: I jumped on the rawfoodexplained.com website. Found an article that surprised me by Mike Benton/Marti Fry titled – “Why herbs should not be used.” Their jist is that all herbs just add to the bodies toxic load and really don’t “cure” anything but temporarily mask symptoms. They make a pretty good argument. I haven’t heard this from anyone else ever. Any thoughts? Kristen

17. Kristen says:

Oh BTW – when I cleaned up my iron deficiency my my nails were perfect. They use to split and peal.

18. Sandi Seegert says:

I’ve adored Will Smith from his days on television sitcoms and it’s just grown from there. But recently, my current crush is Sully Sullivan, the pilot who brought the jet down in the Hudson with no fatalities. It’s the one-year aniversary of that near-fatal event and I get chills every time I see that event replayed on television. He is and so is the crew on the jetliner that day, heroes in my eyes. I am in awe of his humility.

19. Ineke says:

I just would like to comment on Zora’s problem. She may wants to look into food combining. It is also applicable on raw foods. At the Hippocrates institute they are big on it and we do it as well. Brian Clement writes about it in his book: “Living foods for optimum health” As you mentioned, there may be also foods that simply do not agree with her. Food combining works great for me

20. Heather says:

I have very nice thick strong nails and would recommend horsetail and raw olives. Also most of us are deficient in iodine so get some lugol’s iodine and use it by body painting (3″ square) daily until it doesn’t disappear by the next day. DO NOT TAKE IT INTERNALLY. WHY? B/c at any given point in time we have equivalent to only 10 drops of iodine circulating in our blood. It is VERY easy to overdose and you will shake from head to toe. I have mentioned Lugol’s to Kevin before and am waiting for a response. Thanks.

DOLMAS: The extra ingredients that I would add to your recipe, would be a few raw black olives and some raw mushrooms. Yummy.

21. christydarling says:

Hi Kevin!

Thanks so much for sharing the Will Smith video. I’ve always liked him as an actor and the choices he has made as an actor. Never knew too much of his life or philosophy of life. He truly seems to have a wonderful outook and has been give a great gift for sharing that with all who want to hear it and act on it for themselves. I need to hear from amazing people like Will, everyday. I’m sure I will play this video again and again.

Thanks also to YOU for being a great
    role-model to me. I listen and read MANY natural health and lifestyle mentors, and I have to say you are right there at the top of my list. I appreciate your’e coming into my world via e-mail and video every day offering me inspiration and support!

Greatfully,
    Christy

22. juan crovetto says:

what do you think about creatine for phisical endurance and strenght ?

23. Sharon says:

Great video with Will Smith! No wonder you have a crush on him! They should edit him into “The Secret” (and kick out James Ray). My woman crush would have to be Sandra Bullock. What other person in her position would adopt several 2 legged dogs? Smart, funny and full of heart. And Suzanne Sommers for all her contributions to the world of alternative healing. She did a fantastic interview with Mike Adams recently. She has taken a lot of crap from the media but she persists no matter what. She’s a real sweetheart.

Jon, if you’re reading this, the UMAC Core is produced locally (just a few miles from where I live). I’ve met Tiffany quite a few times. She looks VERY healthy. I haven’t met her Dad but people get great results from the UMAC Core. Her skin is flawless. I was hoping to get Kevin to do a show here sometime with them…hint, hint! They sell to an mlm company that puts essential oils into it along with some other stuff. Frequensea I think it’s called. I have mixed thoughts on consuming the oils daily so would prefer to use UMAC Core. I have a bottle in my kitchen but I haven’t actually used it regularly enough to notice anything.

Regarding nails, tissue salts are excellent. Years ago I had a jockey friend and she got me putting the stuff they use for horse’s hooves on my nails and they get rock hard and long from it. No idea what brand or what’s in it anymore now. My diet was bad at the time. Once when I was in the Caribbean my nails grew really long in a week. I’ve always wondered why. Humidity? Vitamin D? No dish detergent?

I am very curious about nail health since some of the people with naturally long nails that never break eat a really lousy diet. One of my friends with super long real nails doesn’t even drink water!!!

My nails break at the sight of dishsoap and handsoap. I even bring my organic handsoap & shampoo on vacation with me so my hands and nails don’t get ruined. How about if Annmarie comes out with some healthy hand wipes?

24. Page says:

Okay – I guess my woman crush would be Marianne Williamson. She is so honest, passionate, smart. I want her to be my personal teacher for The Course in Miracles.

25. Sharon says:

Forgot to say this about the gas–Once your body is toxin-free and you have all the bacteria that your bowels need there will be no more gas so long as you chew your food properly too. I just watched Real N’ Raw and there’s a bit from Ian Clark about mercury ruining the gut. I don’t think it’s possible to ever achieve perfect gut health while there’s mercury in the body but in the meantime just using enzymes and probiotics and either blending the food or chewing each mouthful 30 times should help.

The only time I get gas is from mixing nuts with fruits. Nuts alone are fine but the combination is bad. Works with enzymes though. Sugar and protein don’t go well together (unless it’s chia).

Kevin, is chia a protein or a carb or both? Maybe you already answered this but if you could slip it in again some time I

26. Sharon says:

…I’d appreciate it! Sorry…using hated laptop now while beloved desktop runs what seems to be a day long scan (explains my super lengthy post, lol)

27. Marie1225 says:

Hi Kevin,

You know what, you are so incredible. I love what you said about running a raw food business, and who you hire. We need to love people right where they are at.

It doesn’t mean we should agree with where they are at, many things are dead wrong, but we need to appreciate the fact that we were not where we’re at overnight.

It reminds me so much of my faith in the Lord and loving others. We need to be so careful not to compare ourselves to other people, and not to put expectations on others.

Thanks and keep up the good work,

Marie

28. Connie says:

I like what Will said: “You can’t be scared to die for the truth!” Amen, and amen!

29. Rebecca says:

Thanks for addressing my comment Kevin lol. I like to go cold turkey with things, (works for me), but to each his own. If you or others have not watched the documentary “Sweet Misery”, I highly recommend it!
    Artificial sweetners are not in the same category as pizza IMO.
    My “crush” would be Suzanne Somers, I love people who speak their mind and the truth, even when faced with adversity.
    I guess I am the only one that did’nt care for Mr. Smith’s video. The pride of life and Scientology is what came to mind.

30. Leam says:

The lads of U2. They’re passionate about making music, about making the world a better place, about their friendship with each other and about their families. The entire band has been my crush for years and years.

31. June says:

I like Will’s Wisdom because he is so positive and real.
    Harrison Ford and Meg Ryan-crushes

32. kate says:

Will Smith makes some good statements. As long as he doesn’t try any of that Scientology stuff…

33. nancy says:

Will Smith, is an exaggerating type of actor.

34. Juliet says:

Brittle nails , hair loss, may be indicators of a heath issue. Like you said thyroid. I suggest that my clients always have their blood tested for any possible thyroid health issues. Then, I have them on a biotin/folic acid supplement with excellent results.

Kudos on you work ethic philosophy! I have transitioned to raw/vegan and am at about 50% now, with goal of being 80%. I feel at times raw foodists can become elitist which is a huge turn-off. I think you may or may not be surprised that they will almost likely take on your incredible enthusiasm for health, and incorporate the things that you teach here.

Since transitioning to a raw diet; I no longer have stomach issues of bloating and other things. I guess I am lucky that my body has naturally taken so well to a raw transition.

I hope that my enthusiasm and good health will inspire others to embrace veganism and raw foods.

Great Video!

Peace..

35. Sanjula says:

Hi Kevin,
    nice video, very passionate. Love his acting.

I just wonder why you do not mention anything about Johnny 5 also sooo many asked about him the other day??? very strange!!!

I did ask this question already , It is about homeostatic resistance, it is about the resistance the body builds up when a herb is used on a daily basis, which means that the beneficial (stimulating, triggering?!) effect is getting lost. Robert Gray writes in his book that after the body has developed a homeostatic resistance to a substance it takes several years before you can get the beneficial effects again.
    He also writes that even dry body brushing is due to homeostatic resitance ?????????????????
    I just wondered if this applies also to superfoods like Maca, MSM, etc.
    sometimes I hear health practitioner say that you should take breaks from supplements etc.

I just can not find any information about it in the net. So maybe it is not as crucial as Gray describes it ?
    hope this time the question gets through to you
    Thanks a lot – Love your show :)))
    Greetings from Germany
    Sanjula

36. Hey Kevin!

Carrie says her “woman crush” is Kiera Knightley. (She’s a hottie!)

My “man crush” is Kevin Gianni.

Seriously though, thanks so much for linking to us, for all your help, and for your friendship.

I had forgotten that Will Smith was your man crush… I just sent it to you because I knew you’d find the philosophies awesome and spot on.

15 away from 500. You are definitely a hero of mine and an awesome example for people of what it means to commit to your dreams.

I think it goes without saying, but you are always welcome wherever we are.

Thanks Kevin!
    Jonathan

37. RJ says:

The video of Will Smith made me want to share a quote that I printed from the internet awhile back. Not sure who wrote it but here it is…Does anyone know the author???????

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Uor deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be? Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you.

We are all meant to shine, as children do. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone.
    And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.

As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
    _____________________________________________

Today my woman crush is for all the women in Haiti. I’m off now to give a donation to help the women survive, along with their families. Here’s a link for more information on how to help.

Roxanne

38. Ellen says:

Jason Mraz has this posted on his page from yesterday;
    Only after the last tree has been cut down,
    Only after the last river has been poisoned,
    Only after the last fish has been caught,
    Only then you will find that money cannot be
    eaten
    Cree Indian Prophecy

Awesome.

39. Kris says:

That quote is from Marianne Williamson taken from the content in A Course in Miracles. It is great!!!

40. RJ says:

Thank you, Kris!
    Good Health to You!

41. Dawni says:

#28, Sanjula. Kevin said, Johnny 5 is in New Jersey with AnnMarie’s family and is doing great.

#29, Roxanne, I worked on Haiti all day today. Going there to provide direct service. Lot’s of logistics. In the course of many calls today, I heard a story from the wife of a Foreign Service worker…She said while she wanted to leave for safer ground, apart of her wanted to stay in Haiti. During the horror unfolding, she witnessed men, women, and children singing a most beautiful song as they dug out their loved ones, dead and living from under the rubble. She said the scene was one of collective empowerment and the song remains with her as she and her son wait for a flight back to the US from Santo Domingo. Her husband remains in Port au Prince to fulfill his foreign service duties. This is not being reported.

Loved the Will Smith video and feel certain
    Will will see this video. You know it is said that there is six degrees of separation from you and another person. I can assure it less than that….

Dawni

42. Dan says:

Thank you so much Kevin!!
    Your show is so cheerful, positive, so real, and full of great information and really fun to watch!!

On today’s show, you showed us two beautiful parts of your personality, your sensitivity and your honesty, and the fact that you were able to do that, tells me that you are a person of true character, a person that is not afraid, a person that is worth listen to…

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

The world needs more people like you!!!

My man crush is…, if I have to choose one, it will be Mahatma Gandhi.
    (but I have many more)

43. Nicole says:

Great video. Will Smith really shows his energy and dedication, love it.

One thing that strikes me in a creepy way is the idea of being willing to die for the truth. Reminds me of suicide bombers or war, you know? Dying for the truth and killing for your truth seem to overlap sometimes.

I don’t know about girl crushes for me. Maybe Jessica Beal fitness-wise…or maybe that’s just jealousy;-)

Question for you kevin and Anne Marie:

is there anything a girl can do to get her hormones back in check after having taken birth control pills for years, then stopped them? (Results being hair loss, brittle nails, skin changes, and who-knows-what else). Doctor says it might take up to a year for things to go back to natural/normal and that vitamins and herbs would be a waste, basically. What do you think?

44. Wendy Eden Harris says:

Right on Will Smith !!! You said a mouthful ! Perseverance is key. Today I was in transformation workshop, of which our course leader asked us “Why are you hrein this course, fow whaat reason are youb on this plant? What do you really want in life, now go for it, not tomorrow but today ” Dont just talk about it, you must set up structures to put your plan into action, I believe that his father forcing him to build the wall gave him alot of confidence in himself, and was a huge lesson that probably gave him the life that he has now. JUST DO IT !!!!

45. I love Will Smith as a motivational speaker. I think he is scientologist or he takes a lot of their ideas and has internalized them.

My woman crush is DEFINITELY *drum roll*

TYRA BANKS!!

I love her because when she was young she had 2 options. Go to school to be a film producer or try to make it as a model. She set a goal of 1 year to ‘make it’ as a model and then she’d go to film school. She MET her goal and continued modeling! After retirement, she began to fullfill her OTHER goal of being a film producer! Now, she has a wonderful camp for young girls and 2 hit tv shows. I love her talk show because she helps the average woman become less ignorant with each episode. And she’s GREAT at giving emotion with her eyes. She gives great advice.

46. esther says:

Will’s words are a testiment that the path to total health is not only through nutrition and fitness. Spritiual wisdom informs and nourishes the mind, body, soul just as much! Will is clearly feeding himself from a bowl full of spritiual wisdom.
    Thank you for sharing Kevin!

esther

47. Tamikko says:

What an amazing being Will is. That was truly inspirational.
    Fear, especially the fear to begin, is my biggest fear. I’m having a really hard time getting around it right now.
    Thanks for sharing that with us. I’m going to watch it a couple of times and hope it sinks in.

48. Kuru says:

Kevin, I’ve got to say your love for work ethic WORKS! I have witnessed the sloppiness of 2 other health (raw) organizations. You have always been quick to respond and fix anything that’s amiss. Your smoothie book is so well laid out with indexes and cross references. One other (more expensive) smoothie book I got didn’t even have an index! Your videos are simple, clean, and always playable! More than I can say for some that are more expensive. So thanks so much for valuing work ethic! It is a great value to your listeners.

49. Michael T. says:

Okay, time to say something controversial again:

If you have brittle nails, you are probably not getting enough protein, either because you’re not eating enough greens and seeds, or you’re not digesting the foods you eat very well.

I think some raw vegan diets, such as the 80-10-10 diet, are protein deficient, and the people who follow this program tend to get way too skinny and have really small muscles (probably brittle nails, too). The diet provides enough protein to keep you alive, but not thriving.

If you’re not too strict about being vegan, try having some organic eggs a few times a week. Or some goat milk.

Or, eat a lot of spirulina and green leafy veggies, which are pretty decent protein sources.

After a few weeks, you should notice an improvement in your nails.

And regarding flatulence, this is caused by undigested carbs, usually from beans or certain veggies such as broccoli, cabbage or onions. Also, are you eating bean sprouts? Eliminate any sprouts that still have a lot of carbs in them, such as garbanzo or other large beans. Alfalfa and clover sprouts are fine, since they are not starchy.

Also, taking digestive enzymes with each meal can be a big help.

Someone asked about chia seeds. They are made of fiber, protein, and oil which is high in omega-3. They are not a source of carbs. Technically, fiber is a carb, but it is not digestible and does not provide calories.

I suggest grinding chia seeds first, which is easy to do in a vita-mix. Keep them refrigerated after grinding, or else the oil can turn rancid.

I hope this information is helpful.

Michael T.

50. Michael says:

Talking about pizza, without cheese and decorated with vegetables, it can be really healthy, esp. if the crust is whole wheat:

51. Angelique says:

Will Smith is pretty inspiring — I think my husband has a man-crush on him too. My woman-crush, probably Byron Katie. Like you said Kev, I’d just like to spend so much time with her. I’d like to learn from her and bask in that glow of living a truly love-filled life.

52. Robert says:

Cool Will Smith video. I’ve always liked him in all the roles I’ve seen him play. He’s figured a lot of stuff out that most don’t even think about. Change!

53. Adriana says:

How to deal with brittle nails
    Step 1

Eat lots of fresh cauliflower, a vegetable rich in biotin. Biotin is a naturally occurring nutrient needed to help thicken and strengthen fingernails at the core, preventing cracking and breaking. Other natural food sources of biotin include lentils, peanuts and legumes.

Step 2

Apply a small amount of almond oil to a cotton swab and massage the oil into your nails, cuticles and underside of each nail. Almond oil quickly absorbs into the nail bed and should be used after washing dishes, washing your hands and showering. Almond oil is a better option than over-the-counter nail strengtheners, which often contain harmful chemical perfumes can actually make your nails more brittle.

Step 3

Play taps with your fingertips. Gently tapping your fingertips against a hard surface increases blood flow to your nails and can help them grow strong. Avoid tapping the nails themselves, as it can cause trauma, cracking and breaking.

Step 4

Take glucosamine sulfate supplements daily, according to the manufacturer’s directions. Glucosamine sulfate strengthens the nails, increasing nail health and growth. It is best to take glucosamine in gel caps if possible, as gelatin can also help combat brittle nails.

Step 5

Drink fresh horsetail tea once or twice a day. To prepare the tea, boil 1 cup of water and pour it over 1 tsp. of fresh horsetail. Allow the tea to steep for five minutes before straining and drinking. Horsetail is naturally high in silicon, an element required for strong, healthy nail growth.

Regarding the super motivational video…it’s very well “manicured”(it’s the topic of the day so to speak..lol) but what I like the most is how passionate Will is about the subject. We could take notes from his interviews..

54. Joann says:

Loved the Will Smith video. Saw him develop as an actor while on the “Fresh Prince” to his best actor nominations at the Oscar. He really worked hard at his craft and it certainly showed its fruits. I’m Female and my Man crush is Seal – love everything about him and check out the lyrics to his songs. Female crush is Mother Teresa. If I could muster 1 iota of her compassion I would consider myself fortunate.

55. Jentree says:

Loved Will’s video…I just posted it to my facebook page!

56. Tonja says:

Kevin, thank you for sharing the Will Smith video. So many words of wisdom we all need to realize and live by! I also want to let you know that I appreciate how your own life philosophy shows through in your approach to health and nutrition.

57. linda says:

Didnt know Will Smith was so inspiring, cant wait to show my 16 yr old!
    regarding gas…I find its bad when I overeat, dont chew well (in a hurry) and bad food combinig, and too much acidic foods. When I get the gas, its a waiting game, ph water, enzymes. and try to remember not to do those bad things next time!

Someone mentioned ‘the pill’ . please give me advice for my daughter on why you would or wouldt take it. And what to use (besides abstinence) to prevent pregnacy.
    Im against it, but there is alot of peer pressure.
    Linda

58. Kevikel says:

Thanks for mentioning the Will Smith video.It’s good to see such a positive outlook on life. And I have a question. How can one improve their eyesight?

59. Sue Rushford says:

Linda, re your daughter taking the Pill – I took it for 23 years & thought it was the best invention on the planet, but I totally blame it for various health issues later in life – it robs your body of nutrients, especially the B vitamins – check out Suzy Cohen for more info – I blame it for significant weight gain and other health issues – plus I believe it contains horse urine or something definitely non-vegan – I’m grateful I finally found out how horrible it is – I just use condoms now.

I have terribly weak nails – they just tear, rip – and my teeth are so thin from grinding (bruxism) – that a second one just chipped last week. I’ll be interested to get my blood test results in a few weeks. Too many nuts give me ‘air’ as my ex used to call it. Along with digestive enzymes and probiotics, the HCL capsules from Quantum Resesarch Labs seem to help. And I’m going to start adding MSM to my smoothies more religiously.

I have a crush on Akon – Will Smith is hot, too, but I don’t think you’re talking about that kind of crush.

60. thank you so much for that will smith video…that was truly inspirational!

61. Kevin –

I gotcher back on the Will Smith man-crush! I’ve always thought he was brilliant… and hot! : p

For my woman-crush, I would have to say Ani Difranco. She puts it all out there – passion, politics, perspective. Awesome!

Lisa Marie Lindenschmidt
    Rite Food and Company

62. nick says:

Hey thanks for sharing that video I did not know Will Smith was that deep Great!! I Definitely have a deeper respect for him now. The first person that came to my mind about who I admired is OSHO CHeck out this video but if you can read hs book on Intellegence or any of his manscripts they are so entertaining and deep thinking outside the BOX!!

63. Karen says:

That was a great video! I will watch it every morning before I start my day.

64. carol says:

one word. “Profound!”

65. Judy says:

Thought Will Smith video was good except for the Secret part he inserted in there. If he acknowledged the part the Creator of the Universe plays in or lives, we would understand more the part the Universe plays. He’ll get there. Great motivator speaker tho.

Woman crush has been on Tina Turner for years! Talk about someone not taking ‘no’ for an answer and rising to the top in the midst of turmoil – she is it!

66. linda says:

thanks Sue!!!!!

67. Brenda says:

I have always liked Will Smith. He is really great and funny too! My “girl crush” is Tina Turner! I hope I look as good as her at her age, she is so fit in mind, body and soul. I also admire her for all the things that she has had to over come in her life. She too is a real roll model!

68. del says:

I like Will Smith too. He’s a superhero for sure. From Handcock to Men in Black to Independence Day. But if you asked me what my top hero of today is I would say Dr. Mark Hyman. I’ve been reading his book and following some of his blogs. Love that way he just picked up and headed to Haiti to help. Awesome! His 60 minute interview was right on and true. Not fluff. Just the real thing.

69. Regarding flatulence: Flatulence often results from improper food combining, so mixing nuts with fruits, for example, could be causing extra gas.

70. Susan Lausevic says:

I am a Colon Hydrotherapist and living a mainly raw food diet. I find when just starting out on raw food you are increasing a lot more fiber in your diet. That in turn is trying to sweep out your colon. Waste that may have been impacted in there for years. Therefore all that fiber is trying to move all that putrifying waste and gas.
    A series of colonics will hydrate and help clean out old built up waste and allow your body to adapt to raw food diet easier.
    I have seen the bloating disappear as I administer the treatment.

71. Alex says:

Do you mean add green powder directly to the diet soda??? or just start adding more green powder to your diet will lessen the craving for diet soda?

My girl crush is Amy Ray. But I don’t know if it counts as a girl crush if I am a girl that only ever crushes on girls 😉

72. Sophia says:

Will’s video was extremely meaningful!