Raw Food Baby Food Ideas with Lisa – The Renegade Health Show Episode #458

Thursday Dec 10 | BY |

Hold on a minute…

I know what you’re thinking… 🙂

We’re not ready yet, but it’s never too early to learn some ideas on how to care for a baby, right?

Today, we’ve asked Lisa Miller, who’s a health counselor (and mother of a healthy 2 year old) and also been our awesome assistant for more than 2 years, to give us some cool raw food baby food ideas. (My favorite is the “Constipation Buster”)

Your question of the day: What the favorite food you were fed as a baby (or did you feed to your baby)?

To find out more from Lisa Miller, please visit her website… www.LisaMillerWellness.com

1. Danielle says:

My Favorite food to feed my little Raw one, is a banana, pear and blueberrie smoothie, just add a little bit of ionized water.

the funniest thing She Loves is Lemon and grapefruit, shes a year, and we just introduced them, but she LOVES them!

2. Pat G. says:

I just noticed Annmarie has a beautiful prominent nose!

3. Ariane says:

What did the cat steel, cat nip?
    Wow, he really likes it!

4. Pat G. says:

I’m impressed with Lisa’s willingness to create baby food. She optimizes the apple beautifully and prepares nice simple food. I’d like to add that I’d skip spices with kids for a long as possible as evidenced by a rash her son got from cinnamon. As much as we like those herbs and spices, they are concentrated based on being delivered dry. Kids can wait until they are older. As for me, I think my fave food as a child (I don’t remember anything about what baby food I ate) was an apple for the very simple reason that my dad would peel the whole apple from top to bottom without breaking the skin….like one big slinky. He wasn’t perfect, but I LOVED that he did that, and we’d share the apple afterward….what fun…and what a wonderful memory about bonding with my dad, eh?

5. Barbara says:

Loved the show about baby food. Especially loved the end when the cat got involved in the show! My babies are adults now but I remember making baby food. I was vegan at the time; didn’t learn about raw until much later. My mother used to save me a little of my brother’s banana baby food. Back then, there was plenty of sugar in the baby food. Thank goodness for awareness! Mothers are making much better choices for their babies.

6. John says:

Hmmm… her nose is rather nice. Mashed bananasss!!!

7. Erina says:

My one year baby girl is crazy about raw foods – sweet potatoe (boiled) soaked pumpkin seeds red pepper and soaked raisins blended together is her favorite – she loves quinoa with a smidge of sea salt and fresh garlic – she’s crazy for avacados, green smoothies – it’s fun to mix up healthy goodness for them – I have three raw daughters, but my relatives seem to balance them out with the conventional world which I must allow – anyways thank you & yes Annmarie you are such a beautiful girl

8. Whoa! When Kevin said “yesss” in the beginning it looked like it came out of Lisas mouth. Really creepy.

I have no answer to the question of the day. I don’t remember which food I liked and I don’t have any kids yet.

I do have a related tip though. I remember seeing an awesome product a while ago called The Wean Machine. Makes it very easy to quickly mash up and serve baby food. Really smart invention.

9. marcla says:

Everyone!!!! Go vote for Kevin and Annmarie at the “Best of Raw”! I had to share the love I have to admit, between Kevin and Mike. Annmarie is up for Sexiest woman…as is Kevin for male!!! (wink)
    Show Kevin how much we love him and Annmarie!!!! And how much we appreciate these videos/blogs, all the info they share with us!
    I love me some David Wolfe, but I would LOVE to see Kevin win “sexiest”!!!

10. Katie says:

Both my babies loved avacado and still do. Definately a favorite. Wish i had had that apricot/prune/flax recipe for my little guy 2 weeks ago; but am very very appreciative to have it for next time…he ate wayyyy too many chic peas…
    Love the cat at the end LOL. He reminded me of my orange guy!!!

11. Jennie says:

My 9 month old loves avacado mashed up with a little water, bananas, pureed mangoes and pears, and little piece of apples she can pick up and feed herself. I want to feed her some raw applesauce with cinnamon now though. Yum!!

12. Julie says:

One sign that your baby is ready for solids is when he/she starts reaching for your food. You will just sense it. 🙂 I never fed my babies but just gave them the food and a spoon. First food was a banana as it tastes much like sweet breast milk. :). My boys are 5 and 7 and still love their banana yogurt – a mashed up banana in a bowl with cinnamon.

Also- my son got a rash from cinnamon too when he was a baby.

13. sarah coffey says:

I feed her seaweed, nori, she loves avacadoes, LOVES mangos, cooked broccoli, and brown rice…she likes to eat. Shes almost 10 months now. Oh, and she likes cucumbers in little pieces…and raw apple that she can pick up & feed herself. I didnt know she could have flax seeds yet! I will try that! thnks for letting us know!! (: oh! & she LOVES< I mean is CRAzZy for coconut water!!!

14. Jill says:

Gee..I have absolutely no idea what I was fed as a baby/my favorite baby food…but my mom did tell me that my dad and I used to sit and eat apples and whatnot together (I don’t remember that either lol) and I have no children as of yet. 🙂

15. Stefanie B says:

Yahoo for doing a show in stuff for our little kiddos! I know this doesn’t apply directly to you yet– but thanks!
    I too like to start them on the same food she just showed, but I also like to make sure they build a taste for vegetables as well as fruits– as they are not as sweet (i.e. peas, carrots, winter squashes), just as she mentioned. They are super easy; cook up, add a little water and blend– yummm! You can even make big batches and freeze in smaller containers so you don’t have to do this everyday, or at every meal, at least for the veggies.
    Watch out for peaches and any grains– they will stop them up– even bananas will slow things down.
    Thanks again!

16. john says:

Dear kevin and Ann Marie : As usual another excellent program.Enjoyed Lisa Miller lecture on foods for babies ,need more programs like this to build America up with strong sons and daughters,for young mothers and the Importance of breast feeding babies! I have come across articles and news that breast fed babies are healthier than Non breast fed babies.For many many reason ,mothers milk has the right enzymes,etc. and actually alters a babies IQ dramatically verses babies that are NOT fed mothers milk.–One caveat ,that is IF the mother is healthy to begin with and respects her self consuming whole foods ,that grow like vegetables etc. America needs more health babies .What can I say, since Roe vs. Wade was passed , for about 37 years our elected congressmen and senators voted against what the people of our nation wanted ,THEY passed laws to murder individual innocent babies .A violation of our CONSTITUTION and LIFE ,LIBERTY,and PURSUIT of HAPPINESS .God said be fruitful and multiply and subdue the earth.If our LEADERS can’t get this right THEY CAN’T GET NOTHING RIGHT!!!—-THEY ARE LIARS!!! .First abortion ,Then partial birth abortion,and now euthanasia thats what Barack Obama VOTED for on the public record when he was then senator of Illinois. We have lost generations of like 50 MILLION babies since roe v. wade.And we are to believe that our so called elected officials have our best interest at heart,I don’t think so.In churches they pray God bless america ,How can God bless America When Daily babies are being murdered by doctors in white robes that say MD .THEY don’t even know when life starts. LIFE BEGINS THE SPLIT SECOND WHEN THE MANS SPERM UNITES WITH A WOMAN’S EGG. Sorry Kevin and Ann Marie.But some one has to stand up for those with out a voice because, this is the TRUTH. Because we live in a day and age where ungodliness rules in high places.All three of you have such a very likable personality and your smiles ,humor,giggles,and overall chemistry are just right .In my opinion more shows for babies especially for young mothers is a must –America needs more babies. God bless.

17. Jill says:

Just wanted to add that I submitted my votes for Kevin/Annemarie all the way! Good luck you two! 😀

18. Cielja Kieft says:

At the time that my boys were young I had never heard about raw food, (I realize now that, breastfeeding both of them up till 2 years must be ‘raw’, right?) but I started waking them up with a little bowl with fresh cut fruit of the season, in little pieces. I said gently their names and asked if they would want some fruit. Sometimes their eyes were still closed, but they would open their mouths, chewed and said: yammy or mmm. I still get totally emotional with love when I remember that! I woke them up for years with a fresh pieces of fruit. Even in their teens I sometimes offered it, or had a bowl ready on the table. They always appreciated it. When other mothers said that their children did not want fruit I had no idea what they were talking about!

19. Ronna says:

Thanks for the info, I enjoyed it. Don’t remember eating anything but sweets as a kid. Oops. so SAD.

20. Satori says:

I liked watermelon. Other baby foods, I don’t even remember lol.

21. Brenda says:

My kids liked avacado, also mellon, pears, banana, apples, squash. Someone mentioned holding off on the spices. I agree. Babies like plain food, they don’t need strong flavors their first year. I started my four kids on solids about six months old. If you don’t give too much banana you probably won’t need the constipation mix. All my kids are healthy grown-ups now. 🙂

22. Mina says:

Excellent! Very instructiv… and so important! I hope that all mothers of the world can see this video!
    I am mother of a large family and I used to feed my youngest in the same way!
    Only I used to SCRAPE the fruits with a small tee spoon and give it directly – NO NEED TO BLEND. It’s easier, more fresh.. for the baby without teeth! It’s faster – when they are crying for food!

23. joanne says:

doesnt anyone think this is a lot of sugar foods for babies, i think its better to get them used to acquired tastes b 4 sweets, so from then on they will always accept them, thats my experience anyway with my babies, joanne

24. joanne says:

also in the bedinning i never blended food, i would simply chew up whatever i’m eating and then put it in her mouth, bleanded warm food without having to clean!

25. Marlene says:

not sure what I liked as a baby but probably bananas because when I fed them to my children as babies they loved them as I do also! Pears and sweet potatoes were other ones they really liked. For all you young parents out there it really is easy to make your own baby food! I would only use the jar stuff if we were traveling and my kids would make a face when they had to eat it! Enjoy your little ones and keep them healthy!

26. thunderclap says:

hi my kitten goes berserk for avocado and will take your hand off for lumps of coconut butter( solid because we live in BBBrrrrrrrrrrrr scotland). my kids who are now in their 30s were breast fed all 5 but when they were teething i would deseed and cut big wedges of oranges and put them in the freezer . it was so funny to watch them chewing like crazy on them they loved them. also finely grated carrots and same to sweet potatoes huge wedge of melon easier to hold . come on mums do those huge profiteering babyfoods out of business.thanks kevin and annmarie again.

27. Amy says:

My daughter LOVES pumpkin (baked first) and pear pureed together, I give it to her for her first meal every morning! She also likes to eat oats mixed with breast milk and cinnamon combined with a mashed banana. I try to only give her mashed bananas every other day though because they can cause constipation.

28. eyla says:

I was obsessed with veg when I was small, pureed carrots were my favourite!

Would just like to say, this is a forum to talk about our diets, lifesyles and the politics of food, and the control over our bodies, isn’t it?

The politics of contraception and abortion are close to my heart, I am able bodied, young, healthy in body and mind, I have a stable home and income and economically I am looking into a future that isn’t bleak.

I feel very priveleged for this, and would never see fit to tell others how to lead their lives and govern their futures, I think it is very inappropriate to use this forum for a discussion on this.

Blanket statements and ideologies applied to all never takes in the individuality of a choice and I would never like to offend someone on this forum or bring up past traumas, or make them feel wrong for their choices they had/might have to to make, because life is hard enough as it is.

29. First, I thought it would be fun to pass the dark cold winter mornings watching old RHS episodes. I could not find earlier than #50. Is it possible to access your premier shows?
    About baby food, 35 years ago I only knew about homemade SAD food. I breastfed each for over a year, and about 5-6 months they started reaching for my fork. I mashed up potatoes, carrots, anything soft and fed them that. I never bought baby food, nor a food grinder. The fork was it.
    Save your money from the gadgets and buy organic. I don’t know what I would do with raw food that is not soft, probably run it through the VitaMix.

30. Joan says:

When I had my babies, I used the Happy Baby Food Grinder. I started with bananas and then took to the table and whatever we were eating went into it – veggies, rice, potatoes etc. New to raw, but the bananas were then!

31. Beth says:

My favourite food as a baby / toddler was mashed up bananas or pureed peaches.

They are still 2 of my favourite fruits.

32. Charlotte says:

to John,
    how rude! That was so uncalled for. It was also really irrelevant to the video or to the question. Please think before you write next time and keep your closed minded opinion to yourself!

ok as for the question, I don’t remember what i liked, but i know my mom made everything homemade- a lot of purees.
    I can’t wait till you guys have babies though! you guys are going to make great parents!
    Charlotte

33. Gayle says:

To John,
    Keep your political opinions out of the blog. People like YOU ruin it for others….

34. Gina says:

My babies loved blended till smooth, red papaya, pineapple and avocado. That was a long while ago yet still a winner if someone is not well.

35. Alice Shakti says:

Great show! I love babies more then anything else in the whole world! (Although I don’t have any of my own, yet!)
    Just wanted to make a comment regarding mixing mother’s milk with other foods. I used to study ayurveda and that philosophy suggests never mixing food with mother’s milk. It is best to wait 20-30 minutes in between breastfeeding and eating. Milk should be taken alone because it doesn’t digest well with other foods.
    Thanks for all your great info especially introducing foods one at a time to watch for allergies, so smart!

36. Jeanne says:

It’s not a food, but when my kids were babies and had lots of gas (maybe because I didn’t know about the prune/flax mixture), I would make fennel seed tea for them. In short order they would be passing all that uncomfortable gas, and feeling much better :0)

37. Jill says:

Wow that food looks much tastier than the junk that comes in jars at the stores…I’d eat it even 🙂

38. Dawn B says:

Apple was my favorite food from the very beginning. But, preschool age, my favorite thing was oatmeal with brown sugar and milk. Raised in a farm community, even though there weren’t many vegans or raw foodists around, since my parents were very nearly hippies, I probably got a lot more raw foods than the average person.
    My oldest son (20yrs), his favorite babyfood was carrots (jarred). My daughter (6yrs), her favorite food was mashed raw avocado. Our youngest (6months) hated avocado, but will try again in a few months. Right now his favorite is lentils & rice. Cooked, I had not thought about sprouting and blending the lentils actually. I’m definitely going to need some prune for him. He’s a bit constipated even with making everything runny and breastfeeding. He’s had raw banana, but I’m going to try some raw apple, etc. and see how he takes these.

39. Mishelle says:

Loved the ideas Lisa Miller had you can tell she is very passionate about what she does with Nutrition love to see more of her ideas.

40. mckohtz says:

I feed both of my kids mashed banana for their first food at 6 months old and I breastfeed them. What about doing a show about the benefits of breastfeeding! Good good for baby, mum and the environment!
    Look at: http://theecologist.co.uk/trial_investigations/268337/breastmilk_vs_formula_food.html

41. PE says:

John’s comment was as inflexible as Eyla’s was flexible. Sorry, John, but life doesn’t start when egg and sperm meet– both ARE alive, and after they meet, most fetuses die long before they could be born. Blame God, if you will, as the world champ abortion purveyor. Or simply admit ignorance of when the living fetus becomes human.
    How odd that so many Catholics who revere Thomas Aquinas reject his reasoning that the human soul would enter the body only after considerable preparation of that body. Empirically, that would be about the middle of the 8th month… but I’m being foolish, thinking anti-choice people value reason…
    Now war, THAT is murder sanctioned by the state, as is a death penalty. Why aren’t the johns consistent in rejecting both?

42. Mary Artemis says:

Well, I’m a heck of a lot more organic – I think – even caught my own baby in the birthing pool in my living room.

Nursed exclusively for a year – that is what is best. I didn’t fuss, didn’t pump. the baby is the pump. And I truly had it easy that way and believe things should be easy.

First foods were avocado and apple. My baby (actually is my 4th) loves fruit. If I had it to do over, I would have introduced more squash and vegetables, but I may be making more of it than I should since she loves fruit more and at the age of 5 is now learning to eat “leaves”, that is, salad.

43. Bill Murphy says:

It was great to see what Lisa looks like. Now I have a face to attach to the person that I have emailed back and forth with a few times! 🙂

What’s with the microwave in the background though???

That one is not built in like your old house so no excuses this time! LOL 🙂

44. Dave says:

Breast milk nutritional breakdown:

7% protein
    25-40% fat (varies randomly during day)
    68-53% carbs (mostly milk sugars)

Keep this in mind. they do not need massive quantities of avocado for fat. And certainly they do not need any additional protein over and above what they get from veggies and fruit.
    A 1 year old can also enjoy fruit and greens smoothies. make it for yourself and give them some. try spinach and berries with water.

45. Cindy (Sydney, Australia) says:

Thanks for this topic I enjoyed it, but I’m disappointed that she didn’t give more info (& demonstrate) raw veges. We all know how to mash a banana & blend up apple & water, but I have no idea about what veges they can have, whether they have to be cooked or can be eaten raw, and how to prepare them. maybe a follow up is in order to discuss these topics. I’m not “raw” but do eat alot of raw and am trying to continually add more in but I’m not even sure exactly what adults can/ cannot eat raw let alone the delicate digestive system of a baby.
    thanks and have a great day

46. MarieK says:

It’s hard for babies to digest (immature immune and digestive system)NOTHING to do with peal or no peal the apple can cause tummy upset too. Ever hear of baby led weaning. Best advice to stick to breastmilk I think this lady should Stick to adult nutrition advice. Why are people in such a hurry to feed babies solid foods? Beware of schedules and baby training.

47. MarieK says:

Oh… NICE microwave on the counter! You guys can do better than this this. About a half a days reading on baby led weaning and breastfeeding for Kevin would blow her out of the water. Keep her behind the scenes….

48. MarieK says:

Tasty: But do purees store up problems?
    Spoon-feeding them pureed products could also delay their chewing ability, cause them to become fussy eaters and increase the likelihood of constipation. The warning from Gill Rapley, deputy director of UNICEF UK’s Baby Friendly Initiative, comes after research backed by the World Health Organisation showed that feeding babies pureed food was unnatural and unnecessary.
    It also comes as more and more parents rely on supermarket-bought pureed food for their infants.
    Four out of five babies aged between four and twenty months now rely on the tinned and jarred products, many of which are organic or made with fresh local ingredients to increase their appeal to parents.
    The pureed baby food industry in the UK is now worth more than £450 million – compared with £191 million in 1989.
    Mrs Rapley said: “Parents often think that their babies need something more than milk when they get to four months or so.
    “But scientists and government advisors now agree that this isn’t the case.
    “In 2002, the World Health Organisation backed-up research that found breast milk provided all the nutrition a baby needs up to the age of six months.
    “Any other food during their first six months dilutes the nutritional value of the milk and might even be harmful to the baby’s health.
    “After six months, babies should still be breast fed but they should also be given solids – proper pieces of meat and veg that they can chew and suck. There is no need for pureed food at all.”
    While working as a health visitor for 25 years, Mrs Rapley also undertook her own UK-based research into the feeding habits of infants.
    She found that babies who were fed on solids after six months (pieces of meat, vegetables and fruit that aren’t mashed) developed better chewing skills than those who were fed pureed food.
    They also developed better hand control as they were more likely to feed themselves than be spoon-fed by parents.
    Infants who had been fed pureed food before six months often didn’t take easily to solids as they were used to eating food where individual tastes and textures were disguised.
    But babies who were weaned straight from milk onto solids proved to be less fussy about what they ate.
    Those who were fed pureed food by their parents were also more likely to become constipated – because they could not control how much food they ate or how long they chewed it.
    Mrs Rapley has now produced a DVD called Baby-Led-Weaning which advises parents to let children over six months feed themselves with solids.
    She said: “Provided a child is sitting up straight and is supervised by an adult, he or she can feed themselves a variety of healthy finger foods with their hands.
    “Parents think they need to buy pureed food or make it themselves but it is just not the case.”
    But Roger Clarke, director general of the Infant and Dietetic Foods Associations (IDFA), which represents manufacturers Heinz, Nestle and Boots, has dismissed her warnings.
    He said: “This is new research and we need to look at it carefully.
    “But the age at which solids are introduced depends on the nutritional and developmental needs of individual infants.
    “Generations of parents have relied on these recipes to provide safe nutrition with a wide variety of textures – from purees that are easy to suck straight from a spoon to soft lumps that encourage chewing.”

Milk teeth are called that for a reason teeth are when you eat solids!

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-462599/Does-feeding-babies-pureed-food-harm-health.html#ixzz0Zsq2AhVU

49. Kathy Puffer says:

This is a great part of a meal for the whole family that purees up very easily for baby. I like to bake acorn squash (halved with seeds removed) and fill it with a prepared mixture of sauteed of apples, cranberries, and a little bit of nutmeg. I puree the acorn squash with the apple/cranberry mix (with out the skin of the squash) with two Tbs of ground flax seed and about 1/4 cup of water or organic chicken broth.