Is Sea Salt Really Good For You? – The Renegade Health Show Episode #445

Monday Nov 23, 2009 | BY |

I know some of you may think I’m ruining your diet with all these, “is X food good for you?” shows…

But take a look before you judge on this one about sea salt being good or bad for you, ’cause I’m sure you can learn from what I talk about.

As you know, we do add a little bit of salt into our recipes from time to time on the show. 🙂

In this episode, I also talk about the balance between fat and sugar on a raw food or cooked food diet, as well some resources for those who have Lyme Disease.

Your question of the day: What are your plans for this holiday week (if you’re celebrating!)?

1. horst schmidt says:

…DON’T spread such unadultered MISINFO…
    YANKEE-DOODLE…the body DOES NOT FUNCTION
    without SALT!!!!! woffling TOSSER!!!!!!
    You DO ANYTHING to make A BUCK!!!!!

2. Linda Miller says:

I’m having my sons and daughter-in-law over. I will be fixing a turkey for my one son who does not eat a very healthy SAD diet – too much cheese. Then I will make a vegan dressing and gravy and maybe even a tofurkey for those of us who do not eat the meat.

3. Jasmine says:

Getting together w/ fam and friends. Pretty standard.

Question: What are your thoughts on taking DHA oil? It’s high in fat, but I’m currently of the belief that I’m not getting enough omegas, particularly DHA in my diet elsewhere and that I should be supplementing. This is per Rick and Dina’s recommendation, as well.

I am using Udo’s DHA oil taking 1 tblsp in the morning with my vitamineral green powder supplement. I usually add vitagreen and Earth, spirulina, and maca into rice milk with the DHA oil. I love it, but the DHA oil alone is 14 grams of fat in just one tablespoon!

I’ve noticed when I don’t get this shake in the morning, I don’t feel quite as “cheery” throughout the day. It’s a mood-enhancer for me, I think. Perhaps, a mental crutch? not sure.

Thx! Happy Thanksgiving.

4. janell says:

Hey Hey –

I’m currently in state of repositioning. I’ll be planning for new raw adventures and more in 2010

Be Blessed!

5. Debra says:

Great show Kevin! I would like to know what people are going to EAT for THANKSGIVING!!!

6. Bonnie says:

I’m bringing my own raw food to a family dinner. I made the best raw greenbean casserole for a pot luck this weekend. I plan on making some again!

7. Hey Kevin! I really like you and Anne Marie – your videos are refreshing. I am not all raw, but your common normal, common sense approach makes me more open to what you have to say.

Thanksgiving is when we kick off the Holiday season in our family. We will be having dinner with family and friends and then on Friday, we will decorate the house for Christmas. The grandkids are so excited! Thanksgiving is my favorite, though, because it is not as commercial as Christmas. Low key, relaxing and intimate. And, of course, Thankful!

8. marcela olmedo says:

I have been eating 90% raw veg and fruits and some nuts for 15 days.(the 10% is when we go out some times I eat something bad like pasta ) I feel like never before. It is wondeful, I can not belive the diference. But I am do not think I am loosing weight( I never weight my self)But I am going to keep doing it because I feel great. And I hope I loose weight.

9. Cindi says:

hi…. Happy Thanksgiving to All…. me and my sons are going to daughters for dinner.. family time…. lots of turkey as they all eat that and lots of veggies for me…. : )

10. Tino says:

I will be making Unturkey from the Gideon and Jackie Graff, Raw mash potatoes from Dr Cousens, a mushroom gravy from goneraw.com, and a baked broccoli dish for my family. I will be celebrating with at my brother in law’s house

11. Serene says:

I tend to think that some salt is actually necessary and that you need a little more than you can get from fruits and greens. Can you be more specific about how much you think is too much? I’ve seen 1/4 tsp per day as the recommended amount. That seems very doable and reasonable and perhaps even beneficial. I don’t know what the average intake of salt is but it’s probably closer to 1 tbl which starts to become too much. Most days, I don’t add any salt to my food but about 2-3 times per week, I add about 1/8 – 1/4 tsp to one of my meals.

12. Joan says:

We are going to spend Thanksgiving with my side of the family this year in MN (they do the whole Turkey and accessories meal). I was the only vegetarian for many years but now there are actually 3 of us!!! I won’t be cooking so will just do the best I can with what is served – hopefully there will be fresh salad and veggie trays or I will offer to bring along…as I have been doing mostly raw for several months now. Enjoy your holiday!

13. Jamie says:

I will be spending the holiday with my sister and grandparents, plus all my uncles. I am going to be bringing over raw coconut soup and pad thai!! Plus a raw banana cream pie. It will be a great time for me to share with the ones a love a more healthy way of eating…plus when they all crash 30 minutes after their meal I will have full control of the remote! lol.

14. Jehan Sandra Salem says:

I spend my time with you guys, watching your videos…that’s just sad. Hahahaha.

Have it great! You deserve some rest. Really.

Thanks for asking 😀

15. Christine says:

My boys and I are going to be learning the History of the Pilgrims and the true reason(fleeing from persecution by the Catholic Church) why they came to America…

We are Vegans..I am going to be making a stuffed homemade Tofurkey(we don’t normally eat this, but for Thanksgiving, we have company coming over, so this is better than a real Turkey) with Cornbread Dressing, Salad, and maybe a Pumpkin or Sweet Potato Pie…By the way Kevin, are you aware that mixing fruit and vegetables together, even in a blended drink causes fermentation and can cause problems to the liver overtime?…If you are interested, I can send you info regarding this…

16. Beth says:

I’m in Canada and celebrated Thanksgiving last month – time spent with family & friends.

This week I’ll be working, and going out to dinner with a couple of friends.

Enjoy your celebrations.

17. Pila says:

Sea Salt and Good Health
    Salt is essential not only to life, but to good health. Human blood contains 0.9% salt (sodium chloride) — the same concentration as found in United States Pharmacopeia (USP) sodium chloride irrigant commonly used to cleanse wounds. Salt maintains the electrolyte balance inside and outside of cells. Most of our salt comes from foods, some from water. Doctors often recommend replacing water and salt lost in exercise and when working outside. Wilderness hikers know the importance of salt tablets to combat hyperthermia. Oral rehydration involves replacing both water and salt. Expectant mothers are advised to get enough salt. Increased salt intakes have been used successfully to combat Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Dramatic deficiencies (e.g. “salt starvation” in India) or “excessive” sodium intakes have been associated with other conditions and diseases, such as hypertension and stomach cancer. Testing the salinity of perspiration is a good test for cystic fibrosis; scientists suspect that cystic fibrosis is caused by a deformed protein that prevents chloride outside cells from attracting needed moisture.

The National Academy of Sciences recommends that Americans consume a minimum of 500 mg/day of sodium to maintain good health. Individual needs, however, vary enormously based on their genetic make-up and the way they live their lives. While individual requirements range widely, most Americans have no trouble reaching their minimum requirements. Most consume “excess” sodium above and beyond that required for proper bodily function. The kidneys efficiently process this “excess” sodium in healthy people. Experimental studies show that most humans tolerate a wide range of sodium intakes, from about 250 mg/day to over 30,000 mg/day. The actual range is much narrower. Americans consume about 3,500 mg/day of sodium; men more, women less. The very large percentage of the population consumes 1,150- 5,750 mg/day which is termed the “hygienic safety range” of sodium intake by renowned Swedish hypertension expert Dr. Björn Folkow. Chloride is also essential to good health. Every substance, including water, can be toxic in certain concentrations and amounts; this is not a significant concern for dietary salt.

Salt and Cardiovascular Health
    For 4,000 years, we have known that salt intakes can affect blood pressure through signals to the muscles of blood vessels trying to maintain blood pressure within a proper range. We know that a minority of the population can lower blood pressure by restricting dietary salt. And we know that elevated blood pressure, “hypertension,” is a well-documented marker or “risk factor” for cardiovascular events like heart attacks and strokes, a “silent killer.” Cardiovascular events are a major cause of “premature” death and cost Americans more than $300 billion every year in increased medical costs and lost productivity. Reducing blood pressure can reduce the risk of a heart attack or stroke – depending on how it’s done.

Some have suggested that since salt intakes are related to blood pressure, and since cardiovascular risks are also related to blood pressure, that, surely, salt intake levels are related to cardiovascular risk. This is the “salt hypothesis” or “sodium hypothesis.” Data are needed to confirm or reject hypotheses.

Blood pressure is a sign. When it goes up (or down) it indicates an underlying health concern. Changes result from many variables, often still poorly-understood. High blood pressure is treated with pharmaceuticals and with lifestyle interventions such as diet and exercise. The anti-hypertensive drugs are all approved by regulatory authorities such as the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. To be approved, these drugs must prove they work to lower blood pressure. Whether they also work to lower the incidence of heart attacks and strokes has not been the test to gain approval (it would take too long to develop new drugs), but the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute has invested heavily in such “health outcomes” studies.

Health Outcomes
    The ALLHAT study was funded by the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI) to compare the health outcomes of four classes of anti-hypertensive drugs, all of which had demonstrated their ability to reduce blood pressure in relative safety. The idea is that blood pressure is only a “surrogate outcome,” and we should be more concerned with clinically meaningful endpoints. Dr. Jeffrey R. Cutler of the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI) has supervised the study and explains its importance: “Trials are based on the notion that different antihypertensive regimes, despite similar efficacy in lowering blood pressure, have other beneficial or harmful effects that modify their net effect on cardiovascular or all-cause morbidity and mortality.”

Lifestyle interventions are “antihypertensive regimes” too. For years, the same situation prompting the ALLHAT trial applied to lifestyle interventions designed to improve blood pressure — they were untested regarding health outcomes. Certain dietary and lifestyle interventions reduced blood pressure, at least in sensitive sub-populations. Whether they also reduced the incidence of heart attacks and strokes had never been tested. Thus, until the 1990s, scientists had never tested the “salt hypothesis” by documenting whether reducing dietary salt actually reduces a person’s chances of having a heart attack or a stroke. As in the drug “health outcomes” trials, this is now changing. The results have vast public health policy implications. We should not be recommending that everyone change their diets without evidence of some overall health benefit.

Even documenting an association of, for example, low-sodium diets with reduced incidence of heart attacks would only be the first step. Association is not the same as causation. Nevertheless, unless an association is established, we have no reason to think that a causal link is possible. Of the first nine “health outcomes” studies of sodium reduction, not a single study has found an association in the general population between low-sodium diets and reduced incidence of cardiovascular events like stroke or heart attack.

Here’s what scientists have found:
    1. An eight-year study of a New York City hypertensive population stratified for sodium intake levels found those on low-salt diets had more than four times as many heart attacks as those on normal-sodium diets – the exact opposite of what the “salt hypothesis” would have predicted. (1995)

2. An analysis by NHLBI’s Dr. Cutler of the first six years’ data from the MRFIT database documented no health outcomes benefits of lower-sodium diets. (1997)

3. A ten-year follow-up study to the huge Scottish Heart Health Study found no improved health outcomes for those on low-salt diets. (1997)

4. An analysis of the health outcomes over twenty years from those in the massive US National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES I) documented a 20% greater incidence of heart attacks among those on low-salt diets compared to normal-salt diets (1998)

5. A health outcomes study in Finland, reported to the American Heart Association that no health benefits could be identified and concluded “…our results do not support the recommendations for entire populations to reduce dietary sodium intake to prevent coronary heart disease.” (1998)

6. A further analysis of the MRFIT database, this time using fourteen years’ data, confirmed no improved health benefit from low-sodium diets. Its author conceded that there is “no relationship observed between dietary sodium and mortality.” (1999)

7. A study of Americans found that less sodium-dense diets did reduce the cardiovascular mortality of one population sub-set, overweight men – the article reporting the findings did not explain why this obese group actually consumed less sodium than normal-weight individuals in the study. (1999)

8. A Finnish study reported an increase in cardiovascular events for obese men (but not women or normal-weight individuals of either gender) – the article, however, failed to adjust for potassium intake levels which many researchers consider a key associated variable. (2001)

9. In September, 2002, the latest and highest-quality meta-analysis of clinical trials was published in the British Medical Journal confirming earlier meta-analyses’ conclusions that significant salt reduction would lead to very small blood pressure changes in sensitive populations and no health benefits. (2002)

Controversy Continues
    For many years, the intense public controversy that has characterized the public policy debate over public health nutrition recommendations on salt intake has focused on the wrong question. Medical experts, public health policy-makers – and the public, trying to sort out the issues reading the consumer press – have all focused on the relationship of sodium intake to blood pressure instead of the relevant question of whether changing intake levels of dietary sodium results in improved health outcomes. See, for example, recent Salt Institute comments to the (British) Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition.

There is no evidence that reducing dietary sodium improves the risk for heart attacks or strokes for the general population. In 1999, the Canadian Hypertension Society, the Canadian Coalition for High Blood Pressure Prevention and Control, the Health Canada Laboratory Centre for Disease Control and the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada issued a joint statement opposing general recommendations for sodium reduction.

The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force has also reviewed the evidence and concluded:
    “There is insufficient evidence that, for the general population, reducing dietary sodium intake or increasing dietary intake of iron, beta-carotene, or other antioxidants results in improved health outcomes.”

The debate has confused the public. Medical journalists from ABC-TV’s 20/20 to America’s pre-eminent scientific journal, Science, published by the prestigious American Association for the Advancement of Science, have investigated the source of this confusion. The report in Science won author Gary Taubes a top prize from the National Association of Science Writers and has also been translated into French.

Taubes concluded:
    “After interviews with some 80 researchers, clinicians, and administrators around the world, it is safe to say that if ever there were a controversy over the interpretation of scientific data, this is it….After decades of intensive research, the apparent benefits of avoiding salt have only diminished. This suggests either that the true benefit has now been revealed and is indeed small or that it is non-existent and researchers believing they have detected such benefits have been deluded by the confounding of other variables.”

The Salt Institute is confident that the higher standards of evidence-based medicine will reduce the ongoing controversy, better inform public policy and reduce consumer confusion. For more information about the importance of evidence-based health, you may wish to visit the Cochrane Collaboration, Oxford University (UK) Centre for Evidence-based Medicine, the Health Information Research Unit (McMaster University) or the Canadian Centres for Health Evidence. Using the latest science, we can create better public health nutrition policy.

18. Kimberly says:

Hi Kevin! I’m having a tough time with the assertion that we don’t need salt added at all especially on a raw food diet and especially if people are training since potassium and sodium work in concert. I track my diet on a website that also tells me how much sodium I’m getting in a day and if I added none I wouldn’t get nearly enough. I also happen to perspire a lot naturally so it’s important that I watch those levels. Climate, activity levels and diet all play a roll and probably should get mentioned. Thanks!

For Thanksgiving my dad is picking me up a raw meal at a raw deli and we’re going to his partner’s son’s house. Should be fun! Have a great Thanksgiving!

19. Pila says:

The Missing Link to Health
    Ionic Trace Minerals are the Foundation of Health

To me and from my work in Ionic Trace Mineral, Implants, I have come to the conclusion that all human are dying from the lack of ionic trace minerals they are the very KEYS to LIFE.

When I add trace minerals to peoples colon, with a hydro-sands plus colon therapy equipment. This allows the portal veins to take the minerals and elements to the liver. With the liver getting the right kind of fuel to produce pure blood with for the stream. These people recover from what ever ale them. I could see as I treated people, that the calcium, nitrogen, phosphorus, and a long list of other elements. All to gather I tried to use at list 150, I think for the body to be disease free it will need all the minerals and elements it can get, ”the more the better for total recovery”.

Nothing can be produced in the body without trace minerals and elements. All enzymes require trace minerals keys. I call them the very spark of Life. It was Earp-Thomas who cemented into place the proposition that a body with high mineral content could remain disease free. With this trace mineral assistance, the body could maintain a fluid electrolyte solution in its cells, osmotic equilibrium or pressure. His observation seemed to confirm Antoine B`echamp’s belief that if the terrain was not suitable for disease, disease couldn’t happen.

Jesus knew all about Ionic Trace minerals, the Dead Sea is the only place on Mother Earth that has 150 Ionic trace minerals in it. The Dead Sea should really be called The Sea of LIFE. Jesus healed all these people their.
    1 And it came to pass, that when Jesus had finished these sayings, he departed from Galilee, and came into the coasts of Judaea beyond Jordan;
    2 And great multitudes(over 10,000) followed him; and he healed them there.
    1 And he began again to teach by the sea side: and there was gathered unto him a great multitude, so that he entered into a ship, and sat in the sea; and the whole multitude was by the sea on the land.
    Jesus was a teacher of Life, and he was teaching these people how to use life to restore their LIVES.

Chemical balance within the body is facilitated by the manipulation of Ionic trace minerals and elements. An abundant and replenished mineral nutritional supply is essential for excellent health. Always remember that the body can use Ionic trace minerals, elements, and eletrolytes without vitamins, but it can’t use vitamins without Ionic trace minerals. Ionic trace minerals, elements and eletrolytes are the solid foundation upon which all nutrition is built. As important as vitamins are, ionic trace minerals and elements are even more important. Many vitamins and other complex chemicals needed by the body are actually manufactured within the body itself. The ionic minerals and elements, however, which are the basic building blocks making up these complex substances, must be nutritionally present, or the system is lacking its essential ingredients. When this happens the body tries to live off the toxins.

The body has many systems to keep in balance for health. While ionic trace minerals and elements do the majority of the heavy work, the ionic trace minerals and elements can be compared with the small weights on a balance beam. These tiny weights, though small, are absolutely vital for achieving optimum health. When complex systems are being considered, it is the fine tuning that leads to optimal performance.

On the BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS of seawater, when blood was not available; Doctors would inject seawater in the veins of patients, who recovered on the seawater just as well as patients having had blood transfusions of plasma.

SUMMARY of the role of TRACE MINERALS in the BODY

How Minerals Work in the Body:

Minerals are inorganic elements which are essential to life.

Minerals play major roles in energy production, cellular maintenance, and functions.

Minerals are necessary for bone formation and tooth development.

Minerals are important to muscle function.

Minerals are major components in enzyme systems, acting as inorganic cofactors which regulate cellular metabolism.

Minerals are necessary for nerve transmission throughout the body.

Minerals are necessary for hemoglobin production, protein synthesis, and the production of hormones.

Essential major minerals consist of calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, sodium, and chloride. Each has a daily requirement in excess of 100 mg.

Essential trace minerals are those found in minute quantities, each less than 0.01 percent of the body. Nevertheless they are extremely important.

From the internet

A Fresh Look at Element and Minerals distribution in the North and Central Pacific Ocean.

They consist of:

Hydrogen, Helium, Lithium, Beryllium, Boron, Carbon, Nitrogen, Oxygen, Fluorine, Neon, Sodium, Magnesium, Aluminum, Silicon, Phosphorus, Sulfur, Chlorine, Argon, Potassium, Calcium, Scandium, Titanium, Vanadium, Chromium, Manganese, Iron, Cobalt, Nickel, Copper, Zinc, Gallium, Germanium, Arsenic, Selenium, Bromine, Krypton, Rubidium, Strontium, Yttrium, Zirconium, Niobium, Molybdenum, Technetium, Ruthenium, Rhodium, Silver, Cadmium, Indium, Tin, Antimony, Tellurium, Iodine, Xenon, Cesium, Barium, Lanthanum, Cerium, Praseodymium, Neodymium, Promethium, Samarium, Europium, Gadolinium, Terbium, Dysprosium, Holmium, Erbium, Thulium, Thulium, Ytterbium, Lutetium, Hafnium, Tantalum, Tungsten, Rhenium, Osmium, Iridium, Platinum, Gold, Mercury, Thallium, Lead, Bismuth, Polonium, Astatine, Radon, Francium, Radium, Actinium, Thorium, Protactinium, Uranium, Neptunium, Plutonium, Americium. 98 Total
    It takes 150 for the body to live healthy without disease, the rest come from the pure sun light and pure air.

Vital Energy Factor of Seawater
    ( Hypothetical Potential )
    Distilled water with the addition of 8 drops of seawater per
    pint……………………………………………..9,000 %
    Seawater alone..………………………………90,000 %
    Tap water alone..……………………………………2 %
    Tap water with 8 drop of seawater……………….100 %
    8 oz. Glass of fresh raw vegetable juice (carrot, celery, parsley, & spinach ) with 4 drops of seawater. (** vital energy factor potential – 10 times a 1,000 %)

A famous French physiologist, Alexis Carrel, found the cause. He kept a chicken heart alive for about twenty Eight years. He incubated a chicken egg. The heart of the Developing young chick was taken out and cut in pieces. These, consisting of many cells, were transferred into a saline solution (with all the Trace minerals and elements and likeness of seawater) which contained trace minerals in the same Proportion as chicken blood. He changed this solution every day, and kept the chick’s heart alive for about twenty eight years. When someone made the mistake of not changing this solution that day, the heart died. What made the chick’s heart stay alive?

The secret of why Carrel’s chick heart survived twenty eight years lies in the fact that he changed the fluid in which the chick’s heart was kept, every day. Carrel’s experiment brought us to modern physiology, which says.

For the cells of the body to continue living, there is One major requirement: the composition of the body fluids that bathe the outside of the cells must be controlled very exactly from moment to moment and day to day, with no single important constituent ever varying more than a few percent. Indeed, cells can live even after being removed from the body if they are placed in a fluid bath that contains the same constituents and has the same physical conditions as those of the body fluids. Claude Bernard…..called the extra cellular fluids that surround the cells the milieu interne, the internal environment; and Walter Cannon….referred to the maintenance of constant condition in these fluids as homeostasis. (Guyton, function of the human body.)

From the Encyclopedia of Natural Health

( SEA WATER ) is nearly identical to human blood; and body fluids are about 1% sodium. Commercial table salt is 39% sodium and 60% chloride, as harmfully draining to the body as white sugar because it lacks the 98 minerals and trace elements found in sea water and in the human blood; which strengthens the glands and nerves for physical stamina, emotional stability, and mental clarity. Genuine (SEASALT) Sea salt is an excellent source for readily soluble sodium with trace iodine and other minerals.

Electrolytes “a great key to health”

Once our electrolyte storehouse is deleted, declining health is inevitable and one problem after another develops. And too much depletion means a SLOW death, for our bodies cannot live without adequate electrolytes.

With this understanding, it becomes obvious that the most important factor in treating any disease is to supply the body with the organic Ionic trace electrolyte and minerals that it’s lacking and that it unequivocally needs for regeneration. Without a full supply of electrolytes, our bodies cannot maintain themselves, much less heal themselves. And yet 99% of doctors never give it a thought; and even if they did, only a few have the understanding necessary to correct this serious disease threatening profile.

Both over-acidity and over-alkalinity are due to a lack of electrolytes, particularly organic ionic minerals, and never because of an overabundance of electrolytes.

With the proper amount of electrolytes, hydrochloric acid, and a clean liver and a clean digestive system, good health and long life is your reward.

Remember, the digestive system is the hub of the body. Every single cell and organ depends upon this precious system. The moment out digestive becomes inadequate, the liver and other organs and systems are challenged. Of we fail to recover the full function of this essential system, and then it is downhill henceforth.

Every single function of our bodies is dependent upon an adequate supply of trace minerals, and there are No exceptions. It is critical to have enough of the right kind of trace minerals for life and health. Adequate healing cannot take place until we have replenished our trace mineral supply and brought our bodies into the balance. After you have purged your body with Trace minerals and cleansed God’s Holy Temple out you will want to eating only organically grown produce this is the only way we can be confident that we are receiving an adequate supply of minerals. Live is LIFE.

How we deplete ourselves of Minerals
    • Negative emotions (stress)
    • Eating too many acid-forming foods
    • Medical drugs
    • Poor digestion and assimilation
    • Eating foods from inadequate soul-commercially grown foods
    • Bacteria and parasite infections
    • Dysfunctional adrenals or kidneys

ANTIAGING and the OCEAN

Rejuvenation is the process of reversing and slowing down deterioration of our physical, mental, emotional us. Is it possible? Science is taking a very active part in researching various fields such as nutrition and supplements.

One resource that has been overlooked is the sea. We humans are chemically 85% equal to the ocean. Our body is from 60-80% water. Our planet is 97% water; but, man’s lack of knowledge of the sea is a 95%. Our best anti-aging element we have is the ocean.

The mineral content of the ocean and its ionic balance are about exactly as that of optimum healthy human blood, amniotic fluid, lymphatic fluid, and extra cellular fluid. A human embryo lives in this “oceanic” environment attaining a growth to 3 billion times its weight. The benefits of the ocean have been known since antiquity. Herodotus wrote in 408BC: “Sun and sea treatments are imperative in most of the diseases”. In the middle of the 1700’s the medical community in England became very interested in the effects of the ocean to health.

20. Karla says:

Working on my cooked vegan/raw foods Thanksgiving menu right now. Looking at a great recipe for a wild rice stuffed acorn squash, carrot/sweet potato/pineapple raw salad… that’s all I’ve got so far.

Husband is a cardiology patient and I’ve learned a lot about sodium/potassium/calcium/magnesium ratios over the past years. Yes, we can live without added salt, and live better!

21. Pila says:

Healthy Cells, Healthy Body
    The body has many defenses against bacteria and viruses. The mucous membranes in the nose and lungs are one of the first.
    If invading organisms manage to infiltrate these, and if not intercepted by the immune system at this point, those which reproduce in intracellular fluid head straight for weak cells, break-in and if the pH is also disturbed, use the cell as a place to clone themselves by the thousands.
    As they multiply, they use nutrients and oxygen meant for the cells, and produce waste substances that are harmful to body tissues. Once inside the body, invading organisms take over cells that have been weakened by lack of electrolytes.
    Lowered osmotic pressure and altered pH of these cells makes it easy for a virus to “break in” and reproduce.
    As the viral organisms increase the cell burst and they escape to invade and multiply in other weak cells.When cells are healthy—we are healthy.
    This is the keep to health and longevity and protection against cancer, viruses, pollutants, chemical and all forms of radiation. Keeping the cells, immune system, organs, elimination and the body’s production of antioxidant nutrients at maximum capacity will enable us to survive under the assault of whatever the twentieth century throws at us.
    Electrolytes are the primary factors for cell and immune system health.
    They keep cell membranes strong, raise their osmotic pressure, so that no virus or bacteria can enter, and maintain correct pH in intracellular fluid so that no virus or bacteria can enter, and maintain correct pH in intracellular fluid so that invading organisms cannot survive.
    Healthy cells are kept round by osmotic pressure or osmotic equilibrium—an opposing fluid pressure between the minerals on the inside of the cell and the mineral on the outside of the cell.
    It is a critical balance and protects the autoimmune system in two specific ways:
    1. Bacteria or viruses cannot enter a healthy cell as the walls are strong and impenetrable.
    2. Trace minerals ensure that the pH of the cell is unfriendly to invading micro-organisms.
    The body must receive and adequate mineral supple to maintain in each cell, what is know as osmotic equilibrium. Approximately 5 percent of each cell should consist of minerals.
    According to Dr. Jerry Olarsch, “As we become deficient in trace minerals, the cell walls weaken and become irregular in shape, and their pH is upset.
    As the cell wall pressure breaks down, a virus can attack the weak spot and break in.
    If the cell’s pH is unbalanced it becomes host to the virus.
    Bacteria and so on, and this is the beginning of disease, whether it is a cold or cancer.
    Electrolyte balance is the critical factor. There is nothing else in nature which keeps cells round and strong.
    The body’s pH and cell health, in addition to immune system strength, is the ultimate weapon against disease.
    This can only come through mineralization of the body. We have overlooked the most basic thing in our diet and as a result are running after a million cures.
    We can’t see the forest for the trees. When electrolyte balance is re-established in the body the cells become round and impenetrable.
    Reestablishing electrolyte balance has significant and enormous potential to prevent and eliminate disease.
    Dr. Bernard Jensen writes, “It is time for scientists to realize that there is something deeper in a man that has to be cared for.
    We cannot heal a person through symptomatic relief.. We must go to the root of the problem—to the cell itself—where electrolytes are at work giving life.
    It is here that real healing can begin.”

22. joel Katz says:

Hi Kevin,
    I know that you are a great fan of Charlotte Gerson and I heard her speak 26 years ago in Portland, Oregon. Being an accredited naturopath with 20 years of clinical experience,I found the Gerson Method to be helpful with cancer patients but FAR from being long term curative in the great majority of cases. But today I want to point out that the potassium sodium ratio in the extracellular fluid of our bodies is about 20 to 1 not 5 to 1 and the ratio in most fruits and vegetables is even greater on the potassium side. Being a raw food person, I have found it valuable to add a little crude salt to my salad dressing to avoid becoming dehydrated very easily from to little sodium. Potassium and sodium are antagonists.
    Joel Katz, N.D.

23. Pila says:

SALT INTAKE IS VITAL
    Salt Intake is Vital To Maintain or Recover Optimum Health
    When organic, unrefined salt is lacking in your diet, weakness and sickness follow
    Refined Salt: White Poison The problem with salt is not the salt itself but the condition of the salt we eat! Our regular table salt no longer has anything in common with the original crystal salt. Salt now a day is mainly sodium chloride and not salt. With the advent of industrial development, our natural salt was “chemically cleaned” and reduced only to sodium and chloride. Major producing companies dry their salt in huge kilns with temperatures reaching 1200 degrees F, changing he salt’s chemical structure, which in turn adversely affects the human body. The common table salt we use for cooking has only 2 or 3 chemical elements. The seawater has 84 chemical elements. For our body to be healthy we need all those elements. When we use the common salt, we are in deficit of 81 elements which means we are somehow contributing to becoming weaker, imbalanced and more susceptible to diseases. Use the seawater salt.
    Salt is a vital substance for the survival of all living creatures, particularly humans. Water and salt regulate the water content of the body. Water itself regulates the water content of the interior of the cell by working its way into all of the cells it reaches. It has to get there to cleanse and extract the toxic wastes of cell metabolisms. Salt forces some water to stay outside the cells. It balances the amount of water that stays outside the cells. There are two oceans of water in the body; one ocean is held inside the cells of the body, and the other ocean is held outside the cells. Good health depends on a most delicate balance between the volume of these oceans, and this balance is achieved by salt – unrefined salt.
    When water is available to get inside the cells freely, it is filtered from the outside salty ocean and injected into the cells that are being overworked despite their water shortage. This is the reason why in severe dehydration we develop an edema and retain water. The design of our bodies is such that the extent of the ocean of water outside the cells is expanded to have the extra water available for filtration and emergency injection into vital cells. The brain commands an increase in salt and water retention by the kidneys. This is how we get an edema when we don’t drink enough water.
    Initially, the process of water filtration and its delivery into the cells is more efficient at night when the body is horizontal. The collected water, that mostly pools in the legs, does not have to fight the force of gravity to get onto the blood circulation. If reliance of this process of emergency hydration of some cells continues for long, the lungs begin to get waterlogged at night, and breathing becomes difficult. The person needs more pillows to sit upright to sleep. This condition is the consequence of dehydration. However, you might overload the system by drinking too much water at the beginning. Increases in water intake must be slow and spread out until urine production begins to increase at the same rate that you drink water.
    When we drink enough water to pass clear urine, we also pass out a lot of the salt that was held back. This is how we can get rid of edema fluid in the body; by drinking more water. Not diuretics, but more water!! In people who have an extensive edema and show signs of their heart beginning to have irregular or very rapid beats with least effort, the increase in water intake should be gradual and spaced out, but not withheld from the body. Naturally, salt intake should be limited for two or three days because the body is still in an overdrive mode to retain it. Once the edema has cleared up, salt should not be withheld from the body.
    Sole (So-lay)
    When water and salt combined, they form a new dimension, Sole (So-lay). Sole is Alive! It’s the fundamental mineral infusion for your body. You can replace electrolytes and balance your energy simply and naturally by drinking a Sole solution each day. The sole is an excellent product for balancing the pH factor of your body. With the sole, one can also get rid of heavy metals such as lead, mercury, arsenic, amalgam and calcium because the crystal salt is able to break up their molecular structures.
    When water and Himalayan Crystal Salt™connect, the negative poles of the water molecules surround the positive ions in the salt and the negative ions in the salt are surrounded by the positive polarized particles of the water molecules. This changes the geometric structure of the water and the salt, and creates something entirely new, a third dimension, Sole (So-lay). The water no longer is water and the salt no longer salt. The elements have liberated themselves from their restrictions, given up their polarities by the resonant effects, and reached a higher form of energy. Only through this process of attaining higher levels of consciousness, can we relinquish our polarities and return into the oneness of all elements. This is exactly what transpires when water and salt meet. The willingness of the water to give up its own identity, in return, liberates the salt from its manifested identity—to overcome the powers of the gridwork and to separate sodium from chloride. Both elements are ionized, which releases their stored energy and information. learn more about The Healing Power of Sole (so-lay)
    A poultice made of Sole (Sole poultice) for De-tox and Flu and Fever Relief – Dental Hygiene – Psoriasis – Herpes and more
    Benefits of Drinking Sole
    The sole supplies the body with the natural energy stored in the crystals and the body can hold this up to 24 hours.
    Can harmonize the alkaline/acidity balance in the body and normalize blood pressure.
    Can dissolve and eliminate sediments which lead to stones and various forms of rheumatism like arthritis and kidney and gall bladder stones.
    Can lower the craving for addictive desires.
    Can help with skin diseases by cleaning from inside out. click here for step by step how to make Sole
    Water&Salt – The Essence of Life by Dr. Barbara Hendel and biophysicist Peter Ferreira. Never before has there been such a fascinating book about the fundamental two essential elements needed for achieving and maintaining vibrant health. From the first day that this book was introduced in Germany two years ago, it was an immediate bestseller. Millions of people have changed their lives in respect to water and salt with the profound scientific information presented herein in an easy-to-read format that everyone is able to understand. We are happy to now make our English speaking readers acquainted with the subjects of Water & Salt so that they too may find better understanding and respect for these most essential elements. We also hope that thousands of doctors, scientists, alternative practitioners and therapists will embrace this natural knowledge to help mankind in a natural way.
    Water&Salt, The Essence of Life, by Dr. Barbara Hendel MD and biophysicist Peter Ferreira

Salt For Life
    As common as is the saltshaker in our daily life, so is the tradition of salt mining around the world. Those who have had access to salt in ancient times also had access to power. However, in the past 150 years, salt has lost its importance. Modern methods of mining and chemical treatments have turned the ‘white gold’ into an almost useless substance. Only in recent years have Biophysicists started again to do scientific research on natural, crystal salt. They discovered something astonishing: natural crystal salt consists of exactly the same 84 elements as in human body.
    From White Gold to White Poison
    Life on Earth is not possible without salt. But our consumption of salt is killing us. Why is that? Because our regular table salt no longer has anything in common with the original crystal salt. Salt now a day is mainly sodium chloride and not salt. Natural crystal salt consists not only of two, but also of all natural elements. These are exactly identical to the elements of which our bodies have been built and originally found existing in the “primal ocean” from where all life originated.
    Interesting enough, our blood contains the same salty solution or brine as that of the primal sea; that is, a fluid consisting of water and salt. It also has the same concentration as existed in those days when life left the primal sea. This brine water flows through more than 56,000 miles of waterways and blood vessels throughout our organism with the forces of gravity and levity and regulates and balances the functions of our body.
    How Salt Became Sodium Chloride
    With the advent of industrial development, our natural salt was “chemically cleaned” and reduced only to sodium and chloride. Important minerals and trace elements were considered “impure” and removed. This remaining salt by itself however, is not a natural element and is poison to the body.
    The body recognizes this chemically cleaned sodium chloride as an aggressive poison to its cells and wants to get rid of it as quickly as possible. This causes constant overburden for our excretive organs. In almost every preserved product, salt is used as part of the preservation process. Therefore, by adding more salt to the already salted food, the body receives more salt than it can get rid of.
    The body now tries to isolate the over dose of salt. In this process, water molecules surround the sodium chloride in order to ionize it into sodium and chloride to neutralize it. For this process, the water is taken from our cells and the body has to sacrifice its most perfectly structured cell water in order to neutralize sodium chloride. In doing so, the dehydrated body cells die.

24. Steve says:

Overall I think you’re doing a great job and providing a fine service, but you’re WAY-OFF-BASE concerning the use/need for quality salt and oil pulling. You need to do some additional in-depth, honest, open-minded, blinderless reasearch & due diligence on both salt and oil pulling.

25. Geri says:

Since 2 of our girls live on the mainland and the other, who lives here is working, my husband and I will be volunteering at a homeless shelter, serving the homeless. We are so looking forward to this! We are all in this together and we need to be helping one another! Happy Thanksgiving everyone, God Bless!

26. Yair says:

Hey Kevin!
    Good point about too much fats and sugars.
    Speaking of fats, I’d like to repeat my question again:

Some nutrients are fat soluble, which means you need to eat fat to absorb them properly..
    when do you need to take in that fat in order to optimize these mineral’s absorption?
    must it be on the same meal – or can you take the fat some time before or after?
    (you said in the past, that it’s not ideal to mix the fat with fruit and the such..)

Thanks!

Yair

27. Sandi Seegert says:

Horst Schmidt…hmmm…that rhymes with horse —- Apparently, Horst didn’t listen to what Kevin said….get sodium mostly from fruits and vegetables along with a very little sea salt.
    Aside from that, I’ll be celebrating at my Aunt and Uncle’s home and I’m sure that they’ll have all the “regular” food items and even though I eat organic (I bought my own turkey to make this weekend) I will participate and for just this one day regular food won’t kill me (I hope!) It’s all about family!

28. Hi Kevin,

Well, I was used to go to the Thankgiving potluck of NWVeg in Portland OR. It was my Thankgiving with the vegetarian/vegan community. Last year I was invited to one of the first raw food community in Portland created by Gabrielle Chavez who invite me and 15 other guests in her little home in Oregoncity. It was very peaceful to spend couple hours with nice people. Now I am back in France: no Thankgiving and no vegetarian community.
    Happy Thankgiving in the States
    thank for sharing your informtion Kevin & Annemarie.
    Dr. Jerome

29. So, I am still confused! Is (specifically) Himalayan salt BAD for you, or only if you overdo it? I find if I don’t do a little bit, my muscles cramp more and I get more soreness from exercising. When I say a little bit, I mean 1/4 tsp twice a day. Agreed that leafy greens are best, and I also eat celery for the sodium.

30. Oh, we’re going to my parents’ farm in Georgia for our traditional Thansksgiving dinner. It definitely won’t be raw! 🙂 But all my other food will be while I am there.

31. Kelly says:

I agree with Steve. Everyone system is SO VERY DIFFERENT. For me personally, I eat 8-12 servings of raw fruits/veggies daily plus 3-4 servings of healthy fats and I am a fitness instructor so the heavy sweating causes me to not fear the sea salt!

32. Page says:

We’re going over to a friend’s house. They are fixing a vegetarian meal as they have recently quit eating meat. It won’t be raw, but it will be tasty. I’ll have my green smoothie in the morning to balance out the cooked foods.
    I hope you all have a blessed Thanksgiving day – I tried to give thanks every day!

33. Lynn says:

Having a raw Gratitude theme potluck!

34. Toni G. says:

Excited about a vegan holiday. Our first. I plan on spending it with our friends and bringing some great vegan salads for everyone to try. I will be sure to have plenty to eat that way ;).
    Happy Thanksgiving to you!

35. Kevin Gianni says:

Steve and Horst,

If you’d like to criticize what I’ve come up with, please do. This is an open forum.

Please be sure to share your research that you’ve found, I gladly share mine and it does no good saying I’m outright wrong or calling me a “tosser” on the website without explaining scientifically why overt use of sea salt would not be detrimental to your health.

Thanks Dr. Joel for sharing your experience in a way that is respectable 🙂

PS. I’m not selling anything in this video.

36. Mumdy says:

Hi Kevin

This was a great show and there were some interesting comments about it. Would you mind addressing the comment made by Christine about blending veggies and fruits together causing fermentation and causing liver problems in the future? Thanks very much and keep up the fantastic work you and Annemarie do.

37. Julie says:

Be picky about your water you drink. Your body is 75% water so you should be picky about what kind of water your drinking. Distilled water you shouldn’t drink on a daily basis. Not good for your system. Reverse osmosis water kills all the bad stuff but it’s still in the water that you drink. Just the basics, plenty of great water boks out there that will tell you these things also. “Your bodies many crys for water” great book. You will learn alot, several others. Get your own “FREE” Water E-Book at http://www.youralkalinebody.com learn how you can have minerals and the good things in your water everyday. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

38. Rosemarie says:

I am going to enjoy this holiday with friends and I will eat as healthily as possible I will still enjoy myself since they are not into heathy eating.

I wish to comment of salt:
    I was told not to eat any salt that it is unhealthy for my heart, but! Without the iodine that comes with eating just a lttle per day may help eliminate thyroid problems which I now suffer from. It has been documented, as we lower our salt in take we increase incidence of thyroid.
    A condition you do not want trust me.

39. Bill says:

I’ve a feeling (and I may be wrong here) that the mineral content of any fruit or vegetable is only as good as the soil it was grown in. If they’re grown in depleted soils, or heavily chemical dosed soils, won’t that dictate what minerals and how much we can actually get from eating them? For example, celery can extract salt from the soil but only if it’s there in the first place.
    So if you don’t grow your own food (by far the best option), can you trust your food source?

40. Bob Hedges says:

Bill you are 100% correct. Soil that is depleted of minerals will produce a low mineral content plant and will not supply the body with the needed nutrients. Since 1940 when they started to check the mineral content in soil, it has been going down. To get the same nutrients from an apple grown in 1940 you would have to eat 2 or 3 apples grown today. The main cause of degenerative disease today is mineral deficiencies because even “good organic” food is low in nutrients. You can check the mineral content of the fruit and vegetables you eat with a refractometer or brix meter. It is interesting to note that both celery and cucumbers (2 of the best foods on the planet) are very difficult to find with a decent brix level (mineral level) even organically grown. Unfortunately, organic is a process standard and not a quality standard. http://www.OptimalLivingFoods.com

41. eyla says:

Dear Horst Schmidt,

Stop watching the show if you don’t like what is on it,
    And if you can’t show why you think what you think, with any sort of proof or research, and if you can’t make a post without childish insults, then you should keep your thoughts to yourself because I feel like I wasted precious moments of my life reading what you posted,
    Get some manners!

Dear Renegade Health Show,

Your shows are always interesting and informative and I always look foreward to them on weekdays. I think Bills post was interesting and rang very true (about soil mineral content), also what are your thoughts on mixing veg like greens and fruit, even when they are blended, do you think it is cause for worry, or is it overthinking and over cautious, I am genuinely confused?

Thanks for all the hard work and dedication you both put in, it’s amazing!!

42. As for me I don’t add salt to any food I make. I feel as though our veggies and fruits have enough natural salt in them. This has been working for me for years and if I eat something that salt was added to it tastes really salty to me.
    Thanksgiving is a hard time for me. I usually just spend it alone rather than explain to people why I don’t eat the same things they do. Whatever the holidays bring for me I always keep it Vegan. I have a pumpkin pie already made sitting in the freezer waiting to thaw out. Did not plan anything else past that really.

43. Sharon says:

Kevin, please get a copy of the Hallelujah Acres water document. I downloaded it a few years ago so if you can’t find it email me and I’ll send you the file: detoxexpert@gmail.com. I don’t think distilled water is ever good. HA used to use distilled but no longer. If you muscle test people with it (and I never tell people what water they’re testing) you will see that distilled drains the body of energy and long term use will even cause gray and thinning hair.

I’ve been using Himalaya salt for a number of years after reading up about it. I think it’s cleaner than sea salt which could be toxic from all the mercury in the ocean. I’m not really sure but it just “feels” wrong. Apparently some Himalaya salt (and I’m sure regular salt too) has been found to contain metal from the grinding blades so a good option is to buy chunks of it and let it soak in water and just use a bit of the water instead.

My old naturopath in Germany said to always avoid iodized salt. It’s toxic to the body.

I can’t say I agree with no salt at all. I watched the video interview of Charlotte Gerson in the Inner Circle which was excellent and she said the therapy doesn’t work as well anymore as it did in the past (people are overly toxic). Perhaps they’re also under-mineralized. Perhaps if someone has Charlotte’s diet from the time they’re born (to a pristine mother) then they won’t need salt but I think her case is rather exceptional.

Interesting topic.

This weekend will be like all other weekends for us here in Canada with the exception of catastrophic levels of rain in some areas on the west coast. Looking forward to getting out of here!

44. teri says:

You get enough salt from natural foods . I agree. Can’t fly to OR , too pricey , boo hoo want so to see the grand children
    Got hubby off one of his blood pressure meds yeaaa, more greens
    happy Thanks Giving , I’m thankful for you guys

45. Koa says:

You are right on about the fat. This is my experience. I was dumping olive oil on my salads to make sauce with spirulina and celtic salt. Totally cut out the olive oil (and the salt) in the salads and the coconut oil in the smoothies and the first time in my life (59 yrs) my fingernails started getting strong enough to grow out and I am no longer so tired. That means I am now absorbing the minerals and the oils were preventing that. It’s green smoothies all the way, baby. I have a little sprouted flax seeds OR hemp oil daily for fats. And I much prefer running to the toilet rather than sitting there wondering why it was taking so much longer to poop than to eat. Much love!

46. esther says:

Hi Keiven and Ann Marie,
    Every year I go to Alcatraz Island for the Indigenous Peoples Sun Gathering Ceremony at 6a.m. to mourn and remember the history past present and future of indigenous peoples across the Americas. We are one the boats by 5 a.m. so it’s cold, but the sun rise is a true blessing to witness during ceremony.

Regarding the food thing you brought up, wow that was amazing to hear what some folks do in the morning. I like to keep things simple and eat like the chimp that I am. Banana and lettuce please!

Have a blessed holiday. I’m truly thankful to recieve a free education from you both every day!!

esther

47. Thomas says:

I don’t believe there is a “set” daily amount of sodium intake required. I have found it to be a variable. What really matters is how much you have in your system. I hardly ate salt but when I went from Oregon to South Carolina one summer I experienced great fatigue from walking only a couple of miles. I wasn’t used to the heat and humidity. I drank plenty of water, but it went right through me.
    I had my blood checked for electrolytes and my sodium level was extremely low. My potassium level was fine due to my habit of consuming lots of dulse and bananas daily. So I had to dump salt on everything for a short while to get the level back up.
    Sodium causes our cells to retain water, and potassium causes them to release water. That’s why the balance is critical. We don’t want to dehydrate, but we also don’t want to bloat.
    If you are concerned about your levels just get a blood test for electrolytes and adjust your diet accordingly.

48. Marcy Pollan says:

Kevin,

Thanks so much for responding to my question about salt. It was so cool to hear my name, and I felt like you were really talking directly to me online. Very cool.

I did order the Gerson tapes and had listened to the first one, about the sodium/potassium pump in the cell and the importance of maintaining that balance. I think that may have been part of what led to my question.

Re mineral water, the actual question I’m trying to resolve is for a friend who was just diagnosed with breast cancer. She is still completely oriented towards an alllopathic approach but has been willing to let me shop with her. The last time we went to the store, she bought a huge case of mineral water, and said that she is drinking it more than water. She doesn’t have a filter.

I heard somewhere that mineral water can leach minerals out of the bones. This same friend has actually been recently diagnosed with having lost 25 percent of her bone density. So what I’m trying to understand is whether this excessive intake of mineral water may be having that effect or may be contra-indicated otherwise. Of course, ionized water or distilled water would be better, but since this is what she’s drinking, I”m trying to make a good case for her to stop, especially now that she’s ill.

Thanks again for your considerate response and for all the amazing work you and Annmarie are doing. You are both Thoroughly Awesome!

All best,

Marcy

49. suzanne says:

Oh my gosh, could this be true?? This is copied from a raw group. Someone has found another way to contaminate our organic food. It is called
    Sterilox or some other names are Aqualox and Aquatine EC. [www.puricore.com
    ] It is salt added to
    water, then electrified to break the bond between the sodium and chloride.
    The result is hypochlorous acid or “free chlorine” to disinfect your
    produce. the machines are right there in the supermarkets them selves, so
    they can make the hypochlorous acid fresh. It is used in the process know as
    crisping (submersion of the produce in water to refresh and to reverse
    wilting) and misting in the produce case. It is even put on cut fruit for
    display. The floral stand and seafood department at your stores may also use
    it. It is also used in medical, dental offices and hospitals as well.

The “free chlorine” keeps the produce looking fresher longer on the shelf;
    good for business. It is labeled a “green technology” and is said to be okay
    to use on organic produce. They claim the hypochlorous acid is safe to
    ingest and safe for the environment.

Understand hypochlorous acid is chlorine, meant to kill pathogens. The
    company, who makes the equipment, Puricore, says hypochlorous acid is the
    same chemistry that our body uses to deal with pathogens. Let’s make this
    perfectly clear. A part of the phagocytosis process (an immune reaction in
    our bodies) is hypochlorous acid. They make the hypochlorous acid look like
    this is how our bodies get rid of bacteria. [www.puricore.com
    ]

Hypochlorous acid is a small part of phagocytosis. Hypochlorous acid is but
    one of the biochemicals used in the phagocytosis process, which also
    includes, peroxide and phagolysosome. But the main part of phagocytosis is
    our white blood cells. The white blood cells consume the bacteria or other
    foreign particles. Our white blood cells are our immune pacmen eating up
    stuff that is not supposed to be in our bodies. Phagocytosis is mainly a
    physical response to unwanted organisms in our blood stream, assisted in a
    small way by our biochemistry. Hypochlorous acid is only produced in your
    body as needed; it is not constantly sitting there. Hypochlorous acid is not
    the only action of phagocytosis or even a major part of it, as Puricore
    would have you believe. Just because a little works in your body does not
    mean more is better or that you can handle more of this chemical.

We are talking about chlorine, pure and simple. The “free chlorine” is made
    from salt and the waste is a brine solution. This solution will kill plants
    growing in the soil. When Sterilox is used with floral arrangements, it is
    not sprayed on the flowers. If hypochlorous acid was sprayed on the flowers,
    it could make them wilt, so it is put in the vase or container as water.
    What part of this is safe for the environment?

The amount of hypochlorous acid on a head of lettuce is thousands of times
    more potent than what you have in your entire body. The main point they
    claim about safety is that this “free Chlorine” has a pH of 5 to 7 and that
    “common bleach” has a pH of 7.4. I am sorry, this just may be about
    concentration or in this case making the hypochlorous acid with lots of
    water. Anything with a pH of 5 will also do some damage if put on your skin,
    how safe is that? I am sure they are not putting a concentrate with a pH of
    5 on produce. Bottom line is that chlorine has been found to be carcinogenic
    and toxic and has no place on our food or in our water for that matter.

They are in essence pickling our food. What would you call it when the
    produce looks better on the self longer? Do you remember how they used to
    put sulfur dioxide on veggies and call it safe? Is Sterilox truly different
    from regular chlorine baths, which is still done in restaurants today? When
    can we put a stop to the poisons they put on our food? When will they see
    that the chemicals are killing us? Sterilox is strong enough to kill
    bacteria, a one cell creature; then it can adversely affect your cells as
    well.

I have more questions about Sterilox. In using salt, does it affect people
    on a low sodium diet? Do people consuming produce treated with Sterilox have
    a rise in blood pressure? I am willing to wager so. Once again it appears
    the profits of a business out way the health needs of the public. It seems
    the chemicals are just being better disguised these days. Since the FDA has
    allowed Sterilox to be on our food, I wonder, have they asked these
    questions? It is time we asked questions; ask at your store’s produce
    department, do you use Sterilox? Ask at your dentist, are you using Sterilox
    in the water you rinse my mouth out with? And ask not to have it in your
    world.

Yours in health,
    Dr. Tim Trader, ND, PhD, DD

[www.vibrancemagazine.com]

50. MystiekMuziek says:

David Wolfe Says that you should sprinkle sea salt on your water and or add a lemon to your water. I don’t agree with what your saying because the adrenals work on minerals and a good way to boost up adrenal function is to add salt.Also, the best water you should be recommending in my opinion is Spring water.

51. Genevieve says:

I am grateful for all the information shared here, especially to Pila for several contributions. Thanks so much.

52. Jill says:

I’m spending Thanksgiving as usual with my fiance and his family. Happy Thanksgiving Kevin and Annmarie and everyone else who posted/will post! 🙂

53. nick says:

Will be spending thanksgiciving with family who are all addicted to the SAD diet; so I will bring my usual salad which most of them like. I will also introduce them to another raw dish have not decided yet what else to bring. Have a great Holiday!

54. FeralKevin says:

1. The human body needs salt. I wouldn’t worry about salt unless you are eating way too much, or refined salt. But yes use green powder to mineralize the water!

2. Too much fat? Where do you get this from? Different people need most of their calories from different things. I need most of mine from fat (David Wolfe says something similar. I do think that’s way too many nuts and seeds (might make you nutty) but unless you are trying to actively lose weight, some nuts and seeds blended together is simply not too much fat and calories. I couldn’t disagree more here.

55. Brenon says:

Very interesting info by Pila. Thanks. As with everything I think we need to listen to our bodies. Of course that means being as free from toxins as possible so we’re not just hearing the voice of addictions. I find I cannot function properly without good sea salt, yet some people are able to do without. So I just eat the amount that my body seems to be asking for. Scientific guidelines are great, but personal intuition is essential I think.

56. Ricki says:

Sea salt has mercury in it. Real salt or celtic salt the best to use. Just remember you need salt to regulate your bodies water, ask any microbiologist. Your blood should be as salty as the sea. These kind of salts neutalize acids in the system. It is table salt that is heated up to 2000 degrees and all of it’s minerals have been taken out. That’s why it causes high blood pressure, because the properties have been killed and is a positive field.Salt as a rule has a negative field that gives you energy. I have at least two teaspoon a day, through out the day. As for water you should have 1 liter per 30 lbs of weight. If you are 120lbs it is 4 liters a day. PH water at least 8 or 9 ph.
    promote2life@yahoo.com

57. Colleen says:

I will make delicious raw dish from Alissa Cohen call Mock Turkey loaf for myself cause no one in my family is raw except for me and for desert raw apple pie. Its to live for.

58. scherry valentine says:

Love your show, watch it weekly. Please get yourself educated about the body’s need for salt. Not sea salt. Pristine pink salts. Sunfire salt is amazing. There is a huge amount of info about the benefits of this at radicalhealth.com, I think you you will really enjoy the info on this site. This guy healed himself of Crohn’s disease after doctors told him that he needed a colostomy. He is 100 percent raw, and has been for awhile, he is very knowledgable about this lifestyle. He looks like he is glowing about 2-3 feet off of his body, amazing, he is. His name is David Favor.

59. Swayze says:

Excellent, Kevin! It’s great to hear someone speaking honestly about salt. Raw foodists are known for eating large amounts of sea salt in the name of health. Humans need sodium, not rock salt, and this can be easily obtained from fresh, raw fruits and vegetables.

Thanks again,

Swayze 🙂

60. Peg says:

I have not yet seen any comments on Himalayan Crystal Salt Sole (So-lay). The recommendation is to take portion of salt solution in water each morning–has anyone seen this? Am curious about this.

I do feel that most, if not all, our salt requirements can be met with raw food.

I do enjoy the videos and comments–well, most of the comments, hehe.

61. Rhonda says:

Kevin….. so much discussion based on one 10-minute video! You’ve certainly got all of us thinking. Thank you for this, and thanks to everyone who has provided so much information. The people who have gone to great lengths to explain opposing viewpoints and provide their reasonings are fantastic. So much to look into and research now.

62. raymond says:

instead of getting in a debate about salt(sea) i’ll just say this,the body cannot survive with out sodium. going to my daughters this weekend she allways does thanksgiving and we(my wife)do christmas,its kind of hard because im the only one in my family that is going raw(80%)there all good with it,because they see the big change in me.just spending time with my family is good enough for me. happy thanksgiving everybody

63. Robert says:

I know this is off topic and you’ve probably already seen this, Kev & AM, but this lecture at UCTV is excellent. It’s about sugar.
    I’d like to see this guy get a lot of press coverage with his message. I know many of us raw foodies are way past this, but so many “consumers” are not and we all have to start somewhere. Have a great holiday!

64. Jackie says:

Himalayan salt is harvested from the heart of the Himalayan Mountains, and is known in many circles by another name: “White Gold”. It is actually good for you…in small amounts please ! It is so much purer than salt from the polluted sea ! Read about it…look it up or google it ~

65. Elaine says:

After reading Dr. Batmanghelidj’s books on water and salt for healing, I drink an amount of water that is half of my body weight in ounces daily with lemon and Himalayan salt, and have not had to take the prescribed allergy medication I was taking for 20 years! If I have an allergy attack, I just place some salt on my tongue, then drink a large glass of water immediately and it is gone, a truly amazing discovery, it helps allergies, asthma, lupus, morning sickness, and much more, must read his books.

66. Laura says:

My family and friends are meeting at “Bon Appetite” in Port Townsend, Wa. which will serve a Thanksgiving smorgasbord, with humanely raised turkey and lots of local grown vegetables and wonderful desserts. The chef is Jay Payne who is a fantastic chef. He used to be the chef at the Four Seasons in Seattle and also own his own restaurant here in Port Townsend. His staff is wonderful too. It will be the best place to have Thanksgiving on the Olympic Peninsula and beyond.
    I can’t wait. I plan on taking a few baggies for leftovers. (just teasing)

May God grant us the grace to be generous to those less fortunate.

67. Dust says:

Just gonna munch on some raw food recipes and watch my family eat the reg.

To someone the other day that was talking about strength training with weights on a raw diet should check out this vid

that explains a lot about what works for him.

68. Dear Kevin and Annmarie –

We’re celebrating TG with our friends as usual, but about 1/3 of the menu is raw! I’m bringing a savory miso soup, raw vegan zucchini-and-seed-stuffed mushrooms, raw vegan apple crisp, and a raw vegan pear and cranberry pie. MMMMM! My friends are contributing a couple of raw vegan dishes and the rest will be cooked vegan.

About 5 years ago when we started getting together, everything was vegetarian and loaded with cheese, cream, and butter. Lovely to see the change! ; )

Please enjoy your much-needed down time – and take pictures of your TG dinner! I’d love to see your spread!

In gratitude…
    Lisa Marie Lindenschmidt
    Rite Food and Company

69. Isn’t it wonderful to live in a country where we have the luxury to get all worked up about SALT? (as opposed to somalia, or Tibet, or you name it)
    Thanksgiving is all about family time and I will not preach to them. I got a free range, no additives turkey, gluten free stuffing, and will make some raw veggie, and I will graciously eat whatever Mom and Sister bring.
    Remember to GIVE THANKS.

70. anasha Sol says:

Horst Schmidt
    your reaction to Kevin’s comment is sooo disproportionate that i am wondering about the state of your liver, soooo much anger in your words, all for the salt!!!hilarious,no ?hey , have a sense of humor, the salt controversy is not so important is it? this is how wars are starting.
    We all have our beliefs, and i tend to try out directly with my body and see the results and i am always ready to change my mind and try new things, we evolve, so i try to stay open and i am not afraid of not knowing, or making mistakes, or changing opinions , i think you owe Kevin an apology for your on him
    And Kevin, thank you for being who you are, have a nice Thanksgiving,with AM and your family, i will not celebrate it as i am not us citizen, and i am currently in Tokyo for work

71. This is a great discussion! Please join us at our Facebook fan page for more talk about salt. We have been in the natural salt business for 33 years importing the Celtic Sea Salt®. Thanks Kev for getting people talking about their health. ~Eat Well…Live Well

72. Jo Smith says:

I lost all the food in my refrigerator in the Noreaster, so I’m probably just going to see if I can find enough money for some kind of TV dinner. (I’m not raw yet.) I do have a lot to be thankful for though…the water came up to our steps, but didn’t enter the building. As a nature event, it was a beautiful site. Wishing everyone in the States the very best Thanksgiving! 😀

73. joel Katz says:

Hello everyone,
    I have found it interesting that my comments on salt that I posted yesterday seemingly have disappeared. Would it have anything to do about my critical statement concerning the Gerson information and method???? How SPECIAL!
    Comrade Joel Katz, N.D.

74. Shannon says:

Salt is tasty. Salt is good. Yum Yum!

obviously, all things in moderation, is a healthy way to proceed.

Remember eating a bag of pretzels and how your lips and tongue felt afterward? Salt is a corrosive, it’s hard on tender membranes….

that being said, sodium in any form provides necessary electrolyte balance to the body.

And table salt provides iodine, a much needed mineral. Avoid goiters the easy way, and get your iodine. So go ahead and eat some table salt. It won’t kill ya. Or any other kind of fancy salt, pink, black, celtic, that floats your boat, just don’t eat too much or your insides will start to pucker. lol.

75. Rhonda says:

Joel….. look at #22….. you’re still there. No worries.

76. Dawni says:

Wow, one of my favorite topics. Pila added my most useful references on the topic.

The Book Water & Salt is still my favorite though the owners of FiJI to put the entire subject is question. If you read the book FIJI Water is featured prominently and it has been reported that they have acted fraudently. So caution here. I will not comment further as PILA post contained a great deal from this source and similar. The folks at HIMALAYAN Sea Salt are contributors to this dialogue.

Also, Dr. B’s The Bodies Many Cries for Water is stellar for me as it describes this electrical properties within the body as related to sodium, potassium, magnesium, etc.

My EXPERIENCE when these levels are off we suffer. Restoring that balance is delicate BECAUSE there are glands and organs that go into great distressed when sodium/potassium levels are in peril. Getting all of the signaling straightened out once the body goes into emergency is a true feat.

The advice given depends on a person’s current state.

Sodium is medicinal for me in so many ways. I like best using Celtic Salt and REAL salt as medicine. The smallest amounts on the tongue do wonders. I have also use SOLE as medicine to restore this delicate balance within my body.

My preference is again hydrating my body with high water content vegetables and small amounts of fruits. It is my surest method of getting water into my cells and achieving the hydration that optimizes my health.

If I do not get enough of these vegetables in my diet, adding sodium by way of Celtic Salt and REAL salt is my choice. I like adding Dulse to my food.

I live in San Diego near the great Pacific waters and my air delivers sodium as well as my walks in the sea. It is a healing elixir.

I will spend my Thanksgiving at the shore with whatever raw meal I create to take along. My family will do a traditional meal and football. I will love them up and take off. We may do a movie early evening. My son is in Arizona – so my heart wishes will be with him.

What I have not figured out is the amount of fat that works best for me. I feel it is essential for me to use flax seed oil. I have been using small amounts of hemp seed oil on my salads and coconut oil in my smoothies on occasion. Still experimenting.

Sending love to all.

Dawni

77. CHRISTINE #2 says:

Just wanted to answer the other Christine’s question about mixing fruits and veggies – I believe leafy greens don’t fall into the same category as “veggies”. mixing them with fruit is amazing and digestively easy.

Thanksgiving will be spent with some friends (about 10 in all) i am the only raw foodie (along with my 2 yr old son)…most are omnivores with one other vegetarian. i plan on making a smorgasbord of things: walnut burgers from cafe gratitude, a huge green salad with homemade dressing…and for dessert a raw pecan pie (also cafe gratitude). i may make a chocolate candy (like the raw milky way from the daily raw cafe website) just to ooh and ahh them.

78. toni says:

thanks for the information, this is a good blog

79. Didiydi says:

Kevin, what about distilled water being found to leach minerals out of the body? Also I heard Daniel Vitalis said reverse osmosis water does not hydrate the body, and one is constantly thirsty when drinking RO water because it doesn’t actually get into the cells. The person who interviewed him agreed (Shannon Breeze) because she had RO water at home. They said when driking RO water you crave a lot more fruits and veggies because lacking water.
    could you please comment? Great show as usually, I love when you get people all fired up, so we read a lot of interesting infos.
    I totally expect one day someone to finally figure out that we are many different races inside of human race and that’s why different diets and different opinions…

80. Cherie says:

Is anybody else having a problem with the video? It will only play 8 min of the 9.24 video.

81. John says:

Sodium chloride is not the only form of salt.
    Sodium chloride traps water in living tissue.
    The water forms a type of liquid crystal that
    traps other more subtle forms of energy. It can be positive or negative. Salt is neutral but many people wind up picking up a lot of negative emotions through the consumption of salt. It you thrive on a lot of drama and emotional energy then you will like salt. Eventually you will have elevated blood pressure and your heart will blow out. That will be good for the human race. It will rid us of just another burdensome noisy excessively emotional human. Peace and don’t forget to pass the salt or the soy sauce. Salsa rock.

82. kelly says:

GREAT info! I was making a list of foods to avoid and why when I came across your site. THANK YOU – great blog full of life-saving info! I’ll be linking back to you for this sea salt info.