What if I Get Cold on the Raw Food Diet in the Winter – The Renegade Health Show Episode #444

Friday Nov 20 | BY |

Q & A today…

I love these shows… I get so pumped up to do them. I can hardly sit still. (I’m sure you notice in the videos)

We’re talking about what to do in the winter if you get cold on the raw food diet, how much spirulina should you eat, do we eat any cooked foods, and it it is possible to eat too many nuts.

Take a look and enjoy…

Your question of the day: What do you like best… Spirulina, Chlorella or Wheatgrass?

If you want to try spirulina crunchies, click here! Buy Spirulina Crunchies Now

1. Misty says:

Probley spirulina…I have found many people with heavy metals..especially mercury have a hard time with chlorella.

Chlorella is a toxin binder, which mean s it also binds to things in the environment and can be really challenging to find a clean source.

Lately i have tried algae from klamath lake and really have enjoyed it. plus its a great source of protien.

2. Sharon says:

Definitely spirulina! I use a fermented spirulina packaged with good bacteria (and other foods) which eats the outer cell walls allowing the nutrients to be instantly absorbed.

Wheatgrass gives me an almost drug-like buzz–kind of like what I imagine it would be like to drink 20 cups of non-organic coffee. Very unpleasant feeling not to mention it tastes disgusting.

Chlorella is very nice for the brain. Not a permanent effect but for a daily supplement is very suitable for anyone with brain issues like ADD.

I’d like to try those spirulina crunchies. I’ll order some from you when I get moved and settled. I’m working my way through all my packaged goodies now.

You’re looking very healthy these days Kevin! Is it Annmarie’s awesome new skin care line or sunshine or both?

3. s clemente says:

chlorella-love the taste and the crunching of the tabs. wheatgrass-great for medicinal needs and I feel a quietness internally if I have eaten too many acidic foods. Great balancer

4. esther says:

I like wheatgreass, but as a cocktail meaning I fuse it with freshly made apple or pear juice.
    I liked seeing Johnny5 at the end! He is the absolute cutiest!!

5. Carol says:

Kevin,
    I have to agree with Sharon, you do look all nice and shiny in this video. Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Enjoy being HOME.
    I love spirulina, and also want to try the crunchies when I run out of what I have.

6. R says:

i like wheatgrass the best C:
    i was wondering if you can do a show concerning skin issues like acne and raw foods. Does raw food help clear up skin?

7. LuAnn Agustin says:

WHEATGRASS!
    Admittedly it has an acquired taste, if you go slow and build up. I enjoy it now. I still believe “Fresh is the Best!” Brian Clements told me that our bodies can only assimilate approximately 2 ounces at any given time, so I try to drink 2 oz. twice a day. When you drink it, you should not take anything else with it or right after for maximum benefit. Wait at least 20 minutes.

8. Peg says:

I like chlorella and have yet to try the spirulina. However, wheatgrass I just did not get along with. I tried for about six weeks, drinking some 5 or 6 days a week and I never could get used to the flavor–I think it tastes vile. I wonder what is the difference in my taste buds compared to those who love the flavor of wheat grass?

Oh well–time to order some spirulina crunchies. 🙂

9. Brenda says:

To tell the truth I’ve never had any of them.

Am I missing out? 🙂

10. Toni Kaste says:

The Blendtec blender will heat up your soups on the “soup setting” from the friction, I don’t know if Vitamix does this too? You can take your soups “temperature” to make sure it’s not over 115 degrees.

Toni

11. Jalil says:

I alternate between chlorella and sprirulina on a daily basis. Love them both.

12. JoyfullyRaw says:

I agree, Kev, you are looking extremely healthy and happy. Could it be the beard? Or maybe the longer hair? I don’t know, it’s probably just Annmarie and her good healthy uncooking! Happy Thanksgiving you guys, glad you’ll be home for the holidays. Lots of love, Colleen

13. joel Katz says:

Spirulina….right on my tongue. Tastes like Ben and Jerry’s to me. My first years being raw were difficult for me to tolerate with Michigan winters. When I incorporated ginger tea, cayenne, panax ginseng or Chinese herbal warming formulas, I have no problems with the cold. I can now do things in cold weather that I would never have done in the past.

14. Veronika says:

Other tips to stay warm with Raw Food Diet:

– Add cayenne, garlic, onion, ginger, and other “heat” creating ingredients to your food prep & juices.

– Drink warm/hot tea between meals.

– Leave your ingredients such as veggies, fruits, liquids out in room temp so they can warm up a little. Food taken straight from the fridge is soooo much colder, I barely put it in my mouth during the winter.

I haven’t done a test between spirulina and chlorella on their own, since I use a green powder that contains both. I should do a test though. I had a strong intuitive aversion to trying wheat grass, possibly b/c I’m gluten intolerant but also because I might be allergic to grass. My boyfriend swore by it and tried so hard to get me to try some fresh that we juiced – when I finally did I just knew something felt wrong as it was going down. So I eat all the other green foods instead.

QUESTION: Do you know if the sea veggies you eat are from clean (non-polluted) waters? I just read that sea veggies (dulse, etc.) are really good at absorbing minerals, which is why they’re so nutritious, but they’re also capable of absorbing heavy metals and mercury. So now I make sure that brand I buy is taken from clean water.

15. of the three, I would pick Spirulina. My favorite green superfood is BlueGreen Algae., love the E3Live and their flakes.

16. Christine says:

Kevin:

I am a Seventh Day Adventist Christian and a Nurse and I teach preventive and alternative measures…I stress the importance of not eating a lot of nuts and make sure to eat a bounty of fruit…I appreciate that you shared this…I don’t know if you know it or not, but you are speaking in accordance to the Bible when it comes to more fruit (Genesis 1:29/2:9,16-17)…

I appreciate the balance you have…You speak truth about Agave Nectar and you went away from being 100% Raw…I have been teaching people to be at least 75% raw, but not 100% because there are some foods that need to be cooked….Christine G….Do you have an email address? Mine is cbiblical@yahoo.com

17. Susan says:

I like spirulina the best because when I don’t take it, I feel yucky.(pills)
    I would like to know how to get some of the spirulina crunckies.

18. Leam says:

I’ve found chlorella to beneficial for me.

I love your attitude about trying to achieve optimal health. It really is taking all of those components you listed (I would also include spirituality) and working at it holistically.

I love your show! I look forward to it everyday!

19. Leam says:

sorry…I’ve found chlorella to be beneficial for me.

20. Page says:

I put a small scoop of spirulina in my green smoothies every morning. I have never tried chlorella and wheatgrass gives me a headache. l was listening to a David Wolfe lecture on superfoods and he puts spirulina in the top 5 – 70% of it is protein by weight.
    Safe travels the rest of the way home!

21. As a thin guy myself, i am constantly figuring out ways to stay warm.

I usually add cayenne to my salads, which is great for “warming” me up. I also enjoy drinking tea, which, although not “raw”, is definitely an acceptable exception (according to Gabriel Cousens, and many others).

Good thing it doesn’t get too cold here in Patagonia (southern Arizona.)

Thanks for the Kudos on the Spirulina Crunchies. Keep up the great work!

22. Vaughn says:

Oh wow only one!? OK i guess it would have to be chlorella. It makes me feel awesome! Every time I have a smoothie or a salad it is in there. So yeah basically I am eating quite a high dose.

Hey Key I dig the hair! You growing it out? It would def be bad ass 🙂

23. Shaun in Tucson says:

Spirulina crunchies piled on an avocado is an amazingly good meal.

24. stephanie says:

hey everybody, how are you doing?!!!!! anyway i am writing because i want you to all know there is a rawsome, food, music and yoga festival at arnolds way in lansdale pa. which is 30 minutes north of philly. so you should all come and play and have some fun with us fun goofballs.

and also to kevin and ann marie please come to arnolds way on your travels back home i would love to meet you both and johnny five. you guys would so be welcome to stay at arnolds. i would know i am one of his 6 roomates. anyway, much love and light. every moment is a loving and caring moment. be well and many blessings. stephanie schneible.

25. stephanie says:

oh yeah the rawsome food, music and yoga celebration is dec 6. so enjoy have fun and come over to hang tickets are 15 and soon to be 20. call arnolds way for tickets 215-361-0116. thank you all soooooooooooooooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26. Sara says:

Regarding staying warm – my art professor was just telling us about a study where they’d put people in a cold room with painted blue walls. The people would be uncomfortably cold. Then they’d put the people in a room with the exact same temperature – but with walls painted a warm color – and the people said they felt fine.

I bet there are a few ways you can get creative with it.

Also, Tonya Kay wrote something in a blog about staying warm with hot baths, drinking tea, keeping active – and just remembering that “being cold isn’t a disease – it’s just a feeling.” Paraphrased.

27. Sara says:

P.S. I mixed my tenses horribly there. Sorry.

28. Betty says:

My Vita-Mix makes hot soups & will make ice cream too. I think Blend – Tec & Vita-Mix are nearly as alike as you can get being from different companies. I use mine daily.
    I make 1&1/2 to 2 quarts of green smoothies a day.
    I have been told to go 80% fruit & veggies-10good fats- &10% carbs.I lost a lot of weight that I couldn’t afford to loose,so I went back to eating more unraw & I feel awful! ! ! Going back to my 80- 10- 10.

Betty

Enjoy your shows.

29. Emily says:

Kevin,
    You were quite energetic today, too funny! I also quite like your long hair 🙂 I bet you and Annmarie will make beautiful children. 😉

I’m so glad you covered spirulina today, I bought some recently. I find its smell and taste to be quite strong so I try to hide it in my blueberry acai smoothies. It makes it tolerable at least.

Have a great weekend!!

30. Diana says:

I love them all, but wheatgrass is my absolute favorite. I weaned off 10+ years of anti-depressants by drinking 2-4 oz. of freshly juiced wheat grass daily. Straight shots or mixed in a coctail with apple and ginger are best for me. YUM! Kev, you are so excited to be going home, Happy Thanksgiving and thank you and Ann Marie for letting us into your world!

31. Jan says:

I am new to the healthier/raw eating. The Renegade Health Show helps so much. I have tried the spirulina crunckies but can not stand the taste. I need to try the others. The bee pollen I do like and it helps so much with what I call brain fog due to brain damage from a car accident. I tell this so if anyone is in a situation like mine or knows someone with mild traumatic brain injury they could try it. I take about 1/2 teaspoon 3 or 4 times a day as needed and it quickly clears my head and allows me to continue my day where before I would have to take a nap or rest for about an hour before I could continue doing anything. Thanks so much for telling about the bee pollen!!!!! Sorry I went off topic.

32. raymond says:

i liked the video kevin,the only problem i have is,their are many ways to assist in preventing colds and for that matter anything from colds to pneumonia, bronchitis colliodial(trace minerals) silver is the answer to them problems.washing your hands a bunch of times helps tremendously.its nice to know,not only do you have one way to help colds,but a bunch of ways to assist you in any recovery.but the best of all is knowing how you get colds.information like this should’nt be surpressed from the public.

33. I want sp crunchies! And yes to the post above, you can warm soups, hot cacao drinks etc. in a Vita Mix!!

34. Tyra McMahon says:

actually I love Barley Grass from Hallelujah Acres . It is so smooth and tasty. Gives you great energy. No gagging it down. That’s what I like.

35. scherry valentine says:

I actually like E3Live the bestest! Why don’t you talk about that? I guess out of the 3, I would go with Clorella cuz it’s closer to E3live, I think……..Let’s hear your thoughts on blue-green algae (fresh water).

36. Sheryl says:

Precious new raw foodists – need to know that know one ever catches anything – everything is created by our own thoughts, feelings and belief. If you fear you will get something then you bring that into manifestion. One needs to keep their attention on radiant health, beauty and perfection then you will manifest that in your body & mind. All these beliefs concerning vitamins, minerals, etc. have been created by scientists & doctors etc. and have no power unless you give it power. Even the Raw Guru’s are trying to make people believe they need all those supplements, superfoods, etc. to be healthy – Listen to your God Presence it will tell you what you need and when to let go of certain foods harmoniously. Excitement in the emotional body is not God but a negative force. God only creates Peace & Harmony in the Body and Love.

37. Brian says:

Spirulina and chlorella are great. In terms of nutritional value, I’d say spirulina since it seems to help prevent hypoglycemia. It is great if you really want to get good marks at school. I limit it to 2 tsp a day.

For taste, it really depends on the quality.

I’m afraid to experiment again with wheatgrass since you cannot guarantee that it is free from gluten contamination. My hay fever symptoms seemed to worsen when I consume it

I think eating nuts increases the odor in sweat because nuts are high in unsaturated fats which becomes rancid easily. I’m wondering if it will be different if coconuts were consumed instead.

38. Yair says:

I bought the Crunchies yesterday – 1 KG of it!
    (different brand, same product)
    Good stuff!
    I really like it as a snack..
    I also use Cholorela but not very often.
    regarding wheatgrass, I tried it once, nothing to write home about, besides I don’t juice anymore, so I’m off the wheatgrass thing)

One important question!

some nutrients are fat soluble, which means you need to eat fat to absorb them properly..
    when do you need to take in that fat in order to optimize these mineral’s absorbtion?
    must it be on the same meal – or can you take the fat some time before or after?
    (you said in the best, that it’s not ideal to mix the fat with fruit and the such..)

Thanks!

Yair

39. Marie1225 says:

Hi Kev and Annmarie,

I’ve only had wheat grass. It was ok.

40. Deanna says:

It really is kind of strange about the wheat grass juice. People seem to love it or hate it. If you have fresh high quality wheat grass juice it tastes very sweat too me. I ordered the crunchies a month ago, still waiting…. I really like the Spirulina, I don’t like the taste but I love the nutrition. When I was taking the tablets of Spirulina and Chorella my nails started to grow longer and stronger. If I had to say only one I guess I would say Spirulina. Love the show, and I agree you look good today Kevin. Love ya both.

lol,
    Deanna

41. Deanna says:

oops,

bad editing job sweet not sweat.
    Deanna

42. Avi says:

WHEATGRASS!!!! 😀

my favorite of the three.

really interesting about the spirulina crunchies [the dehydrated variety maintaining the spiral shape].

43. Ricki says:

Wheat grass – Wheat grass works as a keelator which holds a negative charge. This negative charge attracts positive charge such as heavy metals, carcinogens, and other toxins and exits it out of the body, when used by mixing the Wheat grass with ph water(also a negative charge) and exits it by sweat and urination. Wheat grass works best with others grasses and ph water (ion water by a ionizer).

As for getting cold when eating a raw diet, you might want to drink more ph water. If you ever been in a cold climate having to sleep in the cold you quickly learn that water is the key of keeping warm.

44. Jenn says:

Haha, payback to Johny 5 …too funny 🙂

Best ways I find to stay warm in winter is hot herbal teas and add things like ginger or hot spices to foods. Warm soups are good too!

I don’t have much experience with wheatgrass(I’ve tried it, hate the stuff) and tried chlorella tablets a few times but felt no difference so wasn’t a big deal to me.

Safe journey home to you all and YAY to you being back in CT.

45. Ricki says:

promote2life@yahoo.com with the above comment!
    comment 34

46. Luke says:

Your shows are awesome! I like wheatgrass. When I was all raw and having wheatgrass, that is when I could cruise through the day focused and feel like I was not lacking something. I havn’t tried spirulina and chlorella enough to feel fed like I do from wheatgrass. I do like the taste of spirulina on watermelon. Looking forward to trying the crunchies. Kevin, speaking of warmth and cold, check out my friend Stacy’s herbal honeys… http://www.taprootsherbalmedicine.com/
    Thank you for sharing like you do.
    Luke

47. Brianna says:

Hey Kevin (and Annmarie!)

Love the show as usual 🙂 Wanted to ask a few things, first off: i am pretty sure I have a candida problem, and I have looked into your past shows where you talk about candida, and the proper diet to get it back in check…

how long were you on this diet? I am reading the pH miracle (great book) and I am wondering, you eat fruits again right? I do not want to cut fruit out of my diet forever (I realize I may have to for a while). How long did you have to wait before re-introducing fruit back into your diet? Also, what about fungus (like mushrooms), yeast, and vinegar? are you cautious about using those things?

the pH miracle also recommends staying away from algae 🙁 so right now, i’m not enjoying any algae!

but, spirulina is my favorite 🙂

48. Annette Kleinfeld says:

Hi Annmarie and Kevin,
    I really enjoy your posts, and all the information you share you share so generously.
    I do have one request though,
    Kevin, you raise your voice when you speak in the videos and also in the video of your lecture. I do get you are incredibly enthusiastic about your sharing, but its difficult to listen to you after a few lines.
    Thank you!

49. Jennifer says:

I personally love wheatgrass shots – they’re a fabulous energy boost! I take 2 to four shots a day…

50. Jennifer says:

p.s. nice job on your work guys!!!

51. I’ve had great results with spirulina and take it daily, or alternate it with Barley Grass from Hallalujah Acres. I’ve tried wheat grass but not over an extended stretch to see if it does anything. I’ve never tried chorella. Will get some soon.

52. Sprirulina gave me a headache the one and only time I tried it.
    Wheat grass is the only other thing I tried.
    Not sure if I can say I like it. Mixed in with a fruit juice it tastes fine.
    Optimal Health is my goal also.

53. Suebee says:

I like a combination of greens, but fresh wheatgrass juice does give a boost. Each have benefits.

PLEASE please give details during the next show (or post it) about ur Dec. 5th talk in CT– I will plan to get there (from NY)!!!

Can you please talk in more detail about what kinds/amounts/frequency cooked foods you eat? Im starting to get a complex– u never get to my MANY questions!

Thanks

54. Kevin

Very funny at the end with Johnny5. Our cat claws at our butt and legs if neither of us are up by 6am. Usually I get revenge everyday by waking him up when I see him sleeping

55. Carol says:

I have been eating Spirulina for about 25 years. I use a Tblsp of powder in my smoothies and sometimes add it to food. It is fully digestible complete protein that digests in about 20 min. Incredible energy. If you get headache it is cleansing reaction and you need to start with less and drink more water. I really believe in this and have turned many others on to it also. Chlorella does not digest as well, so I don’t use it and i must be allergic to wheatgrass because i did a shot once and threw up! Colloidal silver is also good for a cold.

56. Kari says:

I like wheatgrass the best, but I take Perfect Food, which is amazing and has all three.

To have warm soup you can also blend all the ingredients for the soup except for the water and then mix in hot water right before serving.

I have a question, Kevin, or whoever wants to answer. Why do high iodine foods, like kelp, or supplements with iodine make me break out?

57. Sharyn says:

All three are good but spirulina is tops for me. I have been using it since 1980 when Dr. Christopher Hills introduced it to the country. As I learned from him, any good spirulina maintains its spiral shape (life energy) and has a soft cell wall making it easy for our bodies to assimilate. Chlorella is a single-celled algae with a hard cell wall that needs to be broken (further processing) and is more difficult to harvest, whereas spirulina can be scooped up from lakes in baskets or aprons as was done by indigenous peoples ages ago. If we want to conserve energy and cost of production, these things are good to consider. Wheat grass is wonderful but takes a lot of time and space to deal with or more cost to obtain from your local juice bar. Hope to see you in Conn.

58. Dawni says:

Hi Kevin:

Thanks for the question. In the past, I enjoyed and used all three: spirulina, chlorella, and wheatgrass. I also enjoyed Barley grass for its flavor.

I really pulled off of the Algae products when I did the PH miracle plan and really never re-introduced it back into my life. Listening today, I feel I want to give it another go.

I like using liquid chlorella in my water – it is refreshing and makes me feel sparkly. There was a green product that I loved in my morning smoothies that had loads of spirulina, chlorella, and other grasses called Green Magic. Such a yummy flavor. Good memories.

Twenty years ago: it was the packets of Spirulina pills that made my stools very strange and left such an after taste.

Most important, right now, I am aware of feelings of resistance to taking supplements. Sometimes, I feel like I am surrounded by a sea of compelling stories proclaiming to have the ultimate…and I get sucked in.

I am surrounded by a sea of products and I don’t feel that I made the progress equal to the investment. The actions that have brought be the greatest results are: meditation, movement, grounding, fresh air, good water, flaxseed Oil, Vitamin D, Tonic Herb Teas, love, and organic, living foods. This I need to remember.

I like it here at The Renegade Health Show where enthusiasm for practical information reigns supreme. I, also, appreciate what others are doing in smaller doses.

My goal is toward finding what is optimal for my me. If I stay on that course then I bring greater benefit to others. And that interest me a great deal — vibrant health and the energy to participate in a world that works for all.

It’s a long one today.

Dawni

59. Brent says:

Wheatgrass:)))
    its cheap, easy to get, easy to grow, its not imported or processed, full of active enzymes ready to go! can use to clean teeth, can apply to hair to help strengthen it, can rub it on your skin, the list goes on…

60. Veronika says:

@Kari re: iodine breakouts

Check out the forums on acne.org – there are a ton of posts about iodine/iodide and acne. It appears some people are allergic to it, which might be the reaction you’re having.

Certain foods give me major breakouts, like wheat/gluten & excess sugar.

61. Lucille says:

What are your thoughts on Salba?

62. Ann Marie Huntington says:

I’ve been taking chlorella tabs for 6 years. Love what they do for me.
    And for candida, its the fat not the sugar that is the cause of yeast overgrowth. Fruit sugar digests very quickly.
    Kev, you are just glowing today. And oh yea, johnny 5 is a big fat ham, lol

63. Sophia says:

love wheatgrass shots! it’s easy to grow your own wheatgrass from seed!!!!

64. Jason says:

Chlorella to the core. I love what it does for my dog and myself. Inflammation reduction would be what i have noticed in both of us. My dog used to walk down the stairs out of the house, now he jumps ’em!

65. elisheva says:

peace! i currently use spirulina and i like it better than wheat grass but haven’t tried chlorella yet..i have a feeling i will like chlorella better!

what kind of cooked foods do you eat, how much and how often?

what do you think about “the master cleanse”?

thanks, your shows are great!

also, have you found out why hijiki has become so expensive? I tried doing research but didn’t find any information on it.

blessings

66. Aradhana says:

we are obsessed with chlorella over at our house, even our new puppy–we use them for her treats while we are training her!! The chlorella tabs are our favorite, sometimes i feel like i could live on chlorella alone;)

67. Cheri'-Louise says:

I was introduced to wheat and barley grasses in the early 70s’ they are still favorites but I found chlorella to be notably beneficial to me as far as meeting my over all nutritional needs. Do want to try the spirulina “crunchies”. I now use ‘Tonic Alchemy’ from Ron Teegardens’ Dragon Herbs; this is an amazing green powdered whole food product
    that supplies all of the nutritional grasses as well as sea grasses, these being predigested
    by Probiotic Enzymatic Process. Also has all of the major immunity and longevity mushrooms as well as Major Chinese Tonic Herbs. I’ve studied and used Dragon Herbs for the past 20 years. And although there are many magnificent herbs available throughout the herbal kingdom and healing arts. I want to make the transition back to raw foods, as it’s been many years now away from the best way to “maintain optimum health”. Raw foods or road trip, you look fantastic, Didn’t see Ann-Marie but I’m sure that she looks just as “shiny”. Love you folks

68. Cheri'-Louise says:

Ooops! plz excuse the mess up on my thought processes, I had changed a thought and failed to follow up to make certain I’d changed it completely; caught a glimpse just as it was passing out into the baffling world of computer
    technology.

69. Tommy says:

Spirulina is number 1 in my book. Wheatgrass is a close second. Chlorella and I just don’t get along.

70. Manwel says:

I go with Spirulina as it is slightly more nutritious than the others.

71. Beth says:

I’ve only had wheatgrass once, so I’ll have to go with Chlorella. Although Spirulina is my second choice.
    Looking forward to getting my Chlorella & Spirulina from your store.

Jonnie5 is so cute. We do that with our cats too when they wake us up at night. Silly cats 😉

72. Danielle says:

Chlorella is my favorite! I feel like it helps me cleanse. While wheatgrass makes me sick to my stomach

73. Annette Blum says:

Hello Kevin and Annmarie,

My husband and I have been reading about coconut – “meat”, milk, cream and oil – how it helps the body assimilate nutrients, stimulates the thyroid and increases the body’s metabolism for losing weight, or if thin adjusts it to gain weight. It’s suppose to readjust our thermastat so we stay warm or cool according to the body’s need.

What have you gathered from studies or experience? Is the information correct?

A friend is eating it daily and covering his body with the cream once a day. His hair color is returning along with other pluses. Strange! Sure sounds great if true.

Annette

74. Florence says:

Wheatgrass! It is like a bomb of energy through my body. I love it. I also love to grow the grass and to just have to cut it and drink it. It feels like being in the country right in the heart of the city.
    Florence

75. Jill says:

I haven’t tried any of them! lol What does each taste like? I know spirulina is an algae so is it fishy or anything? 🙂

76. Vic says:

It’s interesting how people either love or hate the taste of these – and the individual reactions to each in how they differ.

LOVE chlorella – helps my gut tremendously, enanced relaxation, calmness and stress management. I feel like I could live on little else sometimes! Take 10-20g/day in capsule (not tablet) form. I found the capsules seem to have a much more pronounced / faster effect on me.

Wheatgreass – haven’t seen particular effects either way, but often do 2 oz. shot on an empty stomach 1 or 2 times per day. I really don’t mind the taste at all and have taken it for detox. Now that others have posted an effect on energy, I will have to really think about that as I use it in the future.

I also have it in green powder mixes such as Perfect Food Raw by Garden of Life (my favorite, but a far distant AFTER ReVitaPhi by Elements for Life. ReVi is defintely the bomb for green powders, probiotics, enzymes and feeling incredible, from my personal experience.)

Spirula – tried it once by itself in water and had a great effect on a “high” for me. After that, I’ve only diluted it in smoothies (hate the taste) so the effects have not been as apparaent if trying to relate it only to that one variable. Looking to try it again on it’s own. I really hate the taste, but do it for health. In a raw cacao smoothie with whey protein or berries with whey is how I’ve had it lately. My plan is ot use 30-45g/day for a few soid weeks to really evaluate the effects.

Also, the brand is cheap so I may not have the best source, which I will also experiment with (other, better brands). I take about 15 grams each dose, once or twice a day with other protein sources to support my weightlifting efforts.

77. I FEEL THAT CHLORELLA IS THE BEST FOR ME.

78. John says:

Mmmm… wheat grass shots!

79. Estella says:

I am using chlorella right now and it works great for me. I am also giving it to my cat, Coco; after each meal she goes wild running around the house. That is a good sign for me!

80. Linda says:

Hi Kevin & Annmarie,

I haven’t had spirilina in quite some time so I don’t remember the taste and if I actually liked it. I had it in a smoothie.

I haven’t tried chorella. I would like to try it soon though and I am VERY interested in trying the spirilina “crunchie/nuggets”.

Wheatgrass is interesting. You have to acquire a taste for it. When I’ve had it, I immediately felt a “rush” in my stomach. It was quite powerful to me. Even though it was only 2 ounces.

81. Darlena says:

I am currently taking 3500 mg of Chlorella daily in capsule form… of course it is easy and no taste…but I haven’t noticed any effect either way.
    I recently purchased Evergreen WheatGrass Juice (100% organic, expressed from the grass and grown outdoors) and wondering if anyone has tried it. Also, does it lose anything in the freezing process?
    It seems to go down easier and of course is available in an instant…so I like using it if it is effective… I find it a bit stressful when I use too many supplements a day that taste offensive…
    Yes, Kev…. you are just glowing…. you and Annmarie always look incredible…but there is something a little more so today!!!

82. KC says:

Never tried any of the three, truthfully. I have a question for all of you, and it harkens back to what the Reverend said a few episodes ago also: How many of you can say that you haven’t been sick since going raw? By sick, I’m just asking about the common cold, sinus infection, etc. I’m currious. Your answers could possible direct me to 100% raw/vegan, which I am not right now (but I get colds and sinus infections in the winter).
    Thanks!