5 Ways to Boost Your Sex Drive Naturally

Friday Nov 20, 2009 | BY |

By Dr. Ritamarie Loscalzo, MS, DC, CCN, DACBN

boost your sex drive naturallyA woman I met on a recent airplane flight told me that her gynecologist mentioned to her that all of her patients over 40 complained of lack of sex drive. The doctor said loss of sex drive was the most common complaint she heard a daily basis and she had no solutions to offer.

Causes of diminished sex drive include anemia, depression, alcohol, certain medications, hormone imbalances, in particular low testosterone, thyroid and estrogen, stress and adrenal exhaustion and relationship problems.

Fortunately, there are natural ways to improve your sex drive.

1. Learn to manage stress. Cortisol, the hormone produced by your adrenal glands when you’re under stress interferes with libido. Cortisol has the same precursors as do estrogen and testosterone, and when you’re under stress and in the fight-flight mode, most of the precursors are used to make Cortisol. Over time, the excess Cortisol production will lead to deficiencies of testosterone and estrogen. Low testosterone decreases your sex drive. Low estrogen inhibits your sexual pleasure.

My favorite stress management tool is from the Institute of HeartMath ®. Using a combination of breath and appreciation, you can transform your stress to positive emotions within minutes.

2. Eat a diet high in green leafy vegetables. This will correct anemia, improve neurotransmitter function and provide the nutrients needed for your body to rebuild your adrenal glands. Add sea vegetables to support your thyroid gland, since it’s an important player in overall hormone health.

3. Avoid processed foods, caffeine and alcohol since these stress the system further and contribute to hormone imbalances. Use licorice and ginseng instead of caffeinated beverages to start your day, because they support your adrenal glands. (Regular use of Licorice may increase your blood pressure, so be careful if you have a tendency towards hypertension).

4. Take time every day for nurturing and supporting yourself, even if it’s only 10 minutes. By getting enough sleep, exercising, engaging in artistic pursuits, and having fun on a daily basis, you are resetting your body to a calm state that’s conducive to hormone balance and increased sex drive.

5. Discover the wonderful world of herbs. There are herbs that balance hormone levels and below are a list of a few herbs that can help with libido

Maca Root: Improves both male and female hormone balance, supports the adrenals, increases stamina, helps with erectile dysfunction and increases sex-drive and fertility! Start with a teaspoon a day in a smoothie and increase up to 4 teaspoons a day.

Cardamom: It is viewed by some cultures as a powerful aphrodisiac and as a treatment for impotence. It works well with Maca. It tastes great in smoothies, sauces and nut milk.

Basil: increases circulation, stimulates the sex drive and boosts fertility! Basil oil was once used by Mediterranean prostitutes as a perfume to attract customers!

Saw Palmetto. This herb can be used to treat both male and female low libido conditions. It works by triggering the body to produce the right hormones to aid in sexual drive.

Pumpkin Seeds are also good for boosting sex drive because they’re high in zinc, which is important in testosterone production. They’re also a good source of omega 3 fats, which aid in balancing hormones.

If you’re one of the millions of women whose relationship has lost its sizzle due to diminished sex drive, now’s the time to take charge of your health. By reducing stress, eating a balanced diet of whole natural plant based foods, taking time for self care, and including a few herbs, you are on the road to regaining the sizzle!

We’ll be putting on a full three night Telecourse with Dr. Ritamarie Loscalzo starting on Sept 8th, 2009. During this revealing course, she’ll reveal how to boost your libido, balance your hormones naturally and look and feel younger!

Click here to sign up now… slots are limited! www.RenegadeHealth.com/womanshealth

1. Sarah Hauch says:

I think that saying that eating dark leafy greens to cure anemia is a very dangerous comment. Yes, eating leafy greens can help (especially if a person has folate-induced anemia) but you would need to eat very large quantities of them. Anemia should be treated through a combination of supplementation, animal products, and plant-based foods high in iron and folate. B12 anemia can only be cured via supplementation if a person chooses not to consume animal products.

Also, regular use of licorie can do a lot more damage than just high blood pressure. I experienced extreme toxicity even though it was advise by my Naturopath.

I would like to know where your research comes from in regards to maca root, herbs, and seeds.

Thank you.

2. Sara says:

I agree with Sarah regarding the comment about “curing anemia” just by eat leafy greens- that will definitely improve the situation but supplementation with the guidance of a holistic doctor and eating leafy greens is a better bet.

Sarah- I would recommend reading David Wolfe’s books to get a more in depth description on the benefits of maca and herbs for the sex drive. Speaking of herbs and aphrodisiacs- Why is Cacao and Durian not mentioned- those two are clear whole foods that have the ability to bring up the sex drive when unheated.

3. Susan says:

I don’t have trouble with my sex drive I just haven’t had sex in 16 years. This means I haven’t had a boyfriend eather. I’ve been bussey beeing a single mom withknow one to help me and I use to be a student, too. Right now I’m trying to pay off all my credit cards and hope to find a guy in the couple of years and hope I can find someone that is in to raw food. This is so I can have someone who that understands what it means to eat raw food and to have some suport in helping me stay raw. I live in the Sacramento, CA are and don’t know how to meet raw foodests like me.

4. Trista says:

Several years ago, my rawfood teenage daughter did some research for a science paper she needed to write and she choose “Raw Food Diet” as the subject. One of the interesting things she found documented in her sources was a decrease or normalizing of sex drive in rawfoodists due to health recover. Basically, a very strong sex drive like we see in our general society is a result of the body’s belief that it is going to die soon and so it had better reproduce now. As people get healthy and detox, their sex drive can relax and be more healthy too. Interesting idea, but I don’t remember the exact source. I know this is slightly off topic, but I thought maybe people would find it interesting.
    Another thing she found (totally off topic) was that in ancient China, people who were sentenced to death for crimes were locked up in jail cells and fed only cooked meat- as much as they wanted but nothing else to eat. They were usually dead in a month, the source said.

5. Ellen says:

Sara and Sara: I thought you and other would like to know I cured/improved anemia this time last year, fairly quickly actually, without animal products using leafy greens. I ate lots of very green, green smoothies, much greener than most recipes out there. Also ate sprouts like alfalfa, clover, lentils and others, and occasionally used some green powers like some Vitamineral green from Jameth Sheridan. I may have had a little bit of wheat grass juice a couple times but cant remember now if I grew much of it last winter. I took a few tablets of Flora brand Floradix herbal iron supplement, but it was very irregular as I wanted to do it mainly with diet.

I was being monitored by an MD with blood tests to back this up. This time last year in an interview with Kevin Jameth Sheridan ND gave scientific explanation of how animal meat is NOT a good way to improve iron levels and that a huge segment of the general meat eating public are also very iron deficient. So it really has nothing to do with veganism or vegetarianism.

It is important for people to get more educated in natural health and that is what I have been doing for more than 23 years. Kevin is quite thorough in his research I have come to find since I have began following the information he is trying to help other with.

6. Kate says:

I read that celery also can help improve sex drive. Unfortunately it just upset my diverticulitis.

7. Karen Pringle says:

good info, anemia is ambigious: as there are many types and if iron deficiency than knowing your hemoglobin level, ideally if blood serum testing is 12-16 (allopathic). Mine is currently 8.9 and due to the monthly moon cycle and corresponding with uterine fibroids. I took action with iron supplementation and made sure my B vitamins were up as well. I had noticed a decrease in my vision, my sex drive was nill and I would get an excessive appetite the lower the hemoglobin got.

Now, with that on the mend, I just found out I need a root canal for one tooth that was crowned 8 years ago. I read controversy and only see the option of extraction with biologic dentistry? Any offers/suggestions about what to do here? I’m using tea tree oil twice per day as the appointment is Dec. 23. Help?

inajahlove@gmail.com