Is the Raw Food Diet what God Intended? – The Renegade Health Show Episode #443

Thursday Nov 19, 2009 | BY |

Today, back by popular demand, Reverend George Malkmus continues his talk on the raw food diet.

In this clip he explains if the raw food diet is what god intended. He also explains who he believes does the healing… the individual or…

Take a look, I think you’ll enjoy this no matter who you pray to on Sundays… :-)

Here’s the interview…

Your question of the day: Do you think the raw food diet is what we were intended to eat?

1. Marie1225 says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie,

That was an incredible interview! I’ve been blogging about this very topic. So it was really cool that you guys had the Reverand on this week. I’ve expressed on here before how I’ve felt that the Lord had led me to eating vegan.

Yes, I wholeheartedly believe that God’s original intentions for us were to eat fruits and vegetables. Thank you for your continuance and dedication in educating the world about the better way to eat. Whether you know it or not, you are being used by God right now. To Him be the glory!

God Bless you two,

Marie

2. kate says:

Awesome interview! I agree totally, although it’s easier said than done to remove all animal flesh from the diet. I’m working on it, but trying to overcome years of being raised on it.

3. Laura Fox says:

yes i do believe it is. it is HYPER LOGICAL. so logical it’s ridiculous. plants grow, on the planet our bodies were born on them, we eat them. verrrry simple. :) also what brother in the video there said is right on.

4. Avi says:

Awesome video, Kevin, and thanks for posting it!!

I think raw is certainly what we are intended to eat – at times, although I wonder if steamed might be okay [lets say for eating or drinking, while in very cold weather], I believe we’re intended to eat mostly or all raw, because it is living food, that is – it has all the enzymes, pre/probiotics [like w/sprouting], minerals all in there already.

I’m actually going to a raw food seminar this sunday so this is perfect timing! I only eat raw about 35-40% of the time, and I’m really looking to make a serious change over. [My previous attempts at DIY sprouting hadn’t gone so well]

-Avi

5. Cindi says:

Yessssssssss… I most certainly do believe God intented for us to eat of the fruits and veggies of the garden…. he put us there and told us to eat of the garden … so what else could we possibly need???? I believe our bodies are amazing and if given the right foods they will take care of themselves as intended…. great interview… thank you!

6. Sara'i says:

Ok! I heard you loud and clear! Kevin this was a good one. Thank You for this great interview. I tried to eatt a piece of fried chiken breast today and I coudn’t even swallow it after viewing this interview. I regergetate it and gave the rest to my dogs. Man what a good spoiler.
    Sara’i
    Peace be!

7. Pamela says:

Well, I do believe God’s original intentions (as per the Bible) were for us to eat raw. However, I don’t think that when he started allowing meat eating (at the flood), he did it to hurt us, punish us, etc. I think we’ve just taken it too far.

However, in the Mosaic Law, it says that if we crave a meat, we should eat it. So depriving ourselves completely is inappropriate also. Though we are not under the law, the principles are valid today. Jehovah is the one teaching us to benefit ourselves (Isaiah 48:17).

That is basically how I’m doing my raw journey. Instead of a bunch of rules, I’m ENJOYING it. I eat raw because I believe in it on a number of levels. However, I do believe it is perfectly okay, right even, for people to eat animal products at times and I have no problem doing so. I spent 20 years of my life being overly worried about food, feeling guilty about food, hating food. I’m opting for freedom :)

So it comes down to balance. If you don’t want any animal products, great. If you want a little, have a little. And if you find you want more than a little, look at what you’re possibly missing that is causing you to crave an unbalanced (bodily speaking, not according to the gov’t) diet.

I thank Jehovah God for giving us all the food he allows for us to eat….and definitely for the ability to learn about raw living also :)

8. anasha Sol says:

YES,YES,YES……
    It is the diet, without a doubt, and thank you Kev and AM for the diversity and quality of your shows lately. Sending you love and from an old hippie girl here in japan in the snow, but i am french living in Spain. They have very good greens here in the mountains and they eat a lot of animal proteins too and it shows on their skeleton,and it is kakis season and fuji apple season so i do get good fruits too, thank you existence for providing us with such a variety and abundance of eatable goodies

9. Dewey says:

Maybe we should take a clue from Chimps… They hunt other monkeys… and then share the bounty…
    Jane Goodall Thinks that it is a learned behaviour because some bands of Chimps were Not carnivours at one point and then something happened and their behaviour changed…
    as far as She can tell…
    I think this is Correct info but don’t quote me…

10. Sanjula says:

Hi Kevin,
    have not watched the show yet! I will tomorrow morning :) its late here in Germany right now. But I do have a question I wanted to ask!!!!!!
    what do you know about homoeostatic Resistance ?(hope that is the right English word)it means that if you take a herb over a long period of time the body tends to try reaching its normal balance by neutralising its effect over time.
    In an old book from Robert Gray I read that after a period of 8 to 9 month most healing herbs loose there effectiveness completely – more severe even if you reached homoeostatic resistance it would need 7 years avoiding that herb till you could benefit from the herbs effects again.
    His suggestion is to never take any herb longer than 3 month, at most 5 month, than pause for 6 month.
    he writes that even dry skin brushing is subject to homoeo. resistance , so he suggests to skin brush only twice a week …. oh mei, I am so used to skin brush daily it feels really strange not to!!! I love my daily brushing …grumbel!!!! and my daily Maca and Spirulina and …….
    Gray writes Probiotics are not subject to h.resistance and I would assume Vit. and Minerals also not but what about our daily supplements….like Spirulina, Maca, MMS, and more
    I mean if you even should rotate your veggies and greens daily because otherwise in every plant inherent small amounts of toxins build up in your system I now just wonder if it might not be as effective as I thought to dope myself daily with super foods???
    would be great if you could provide more information on that subject and where we could find out which substance is subject to h.r. and which not.
    Thanks :)

Sanjula

11. DebB says:

Yes, I do believe we were made to eat vegan. I love hearing what the Reverand had to say! So interesting.

I remember years ago reading ‘Fit For Life’ by the Diamonds and it said (paraphasing), “Picture a baby in his/her crib. Now put in a bunny and an apple – will the baby instinctively go for the bunny, killing it & eating it -or- does the baby go for the apple?”

Debbie *Ü*

12. joel Katz says:

I hope so! I have the Reverend trumped. It will be 39 years for me come February.

Joel

13. Victoria says:

It was great to hear Rev. Malkmus and his prospective on diet and health regarding the Bible and what God’s Word says. I believe we need more Believers sharing the truth of the Bible on diet and health. I applaud him on his ministry to educate and inspire healthful living. Thank you for bringing this interview to the cyber-RAW-world.

I agree with Rev. Malkmus that meat eating is permissable in the Bible but it isn’t the best, and it isn’t the original intended diet. Things in this world changed drastically after The Flood, physically, and spiritually, which in turn affected our diet.

However, I strongly disagree with his statement regarding the “(Hallelujah diet or a raw diet…)healing doesn’t have to do much with God.” ALL healing comes from God, however, it comes; raw food diet, doctors and medicine, spontaeous healing, etc. Jehovah Rapha means the God who heals. The enemy, Satan, is the destroyer. It is either from one or the other that healing comes.

Finally to answer the question of the day..Yes, I do believe that a raw food diet was the original intended Biblical diet. Everything was perfect in The Garden until well.. humans were deceived. What do you think? Are we humans still being deceived to eat that which is not good for us?

Victoria

14. Sharon says:

Yes, it was definitely our original diet BUT Jesus ate fish and also provided fish for the people when there was no food. Of course the earth and sea were clean back then, there were no chemicals and EMF’s to destroy people’s health.

Nowadays it’s nothing short of insanity to eat fish since it’s full of mercury and chemicals and drugs and I’m pretty sure that Jesus would not be providing fish for his followers to eat if he were on earth today! He also ate grains but they weren’t GMO.

They also consumed dairy products but they would have been in the raw state from grass-fed animals. From what I’ve researched the people in those days didn’t eat animal flesh daily, it was for special occasions like festivals and for visitors and they didn’t have plastic so the leather and wool were used. Very sustainable living.

For those of you who have never read the Bible there were very strict guidelines as to how animals were to be treated. They were to be treated with respect. What’s going on today with factory farming is a disgusting abuse of animals.

Nice interview once again! Hope to see more of him!

15. Shannon says:

I loved this interview. Somebody already thanked you for the diversity you bring by interviewing so many people from completely different beliefs and backgrounds. I want to second that comment.

I strongly believe that we were designed to eat a plant based diet. I look at food in such a different way now when I walk through the grocery store. Such a small percentage of what’s available is actually real food. No wonder there is so much sickness.

Thank you so much for educating us on a daily basis. BTW – The Carmel Apple recipe was a HUGE hit with my kids and with their friends. Thank you so much for sharing it.

16. gilles st. george says:

hi kevin an ann marie always enjoy the shows. i enjoyes the rev. i have started to listen to don tolman who has studied the food of the bible. which is signiture foods. it all makes sence. going to la this weekend with d wolfe an folks. looking foward to your return to ct. gilles.

17. Brenda says:

Hi Kevin
    That was a great show. I’m not sure I believe everything that was said but do believe we have let our diets get completely out of control.

Do you eat any cooked foods?

B

18. Peg says:

I began to think about the people that live farther north–the Inuit and Sami (Lapps). They subsist almost completely on what they can hunt and fish. I don’t think a lot of green stuff grows there. Is it a mistake that they live there and cannot eat “God’s diet”? I do not think so.

As for me, I do very well on the raw food and since we have a very cold winter, I am very grateful for the trucks that bring the fresh produce to town.

19. Loved the interview! Reverend Malkmus is full of spunk and looks great!

20. Michael T. says:

Kevin,

There are many reasons why humans could not possibly have lived exclusively on plants until recent times. The simplest reason is that fruits and veggies were not grown in sufficient amounts to feed large numbers of people. Also, there were dry seasons and cold seasons, and people had to eat animals to get through these times.

Animals were basically used as food storage units. Animals would eat a lot of grass and other plant matter during warm weather, and provide meat during cold weather. The people did not have refrigeration or other ways of storing fruits and veggies all year round.

The mythical garden of Eden would be a wonderful place to eat during the summer and fall, but during the winter and spring there would be almost nothing to eat. Do you really think people were able to fast for six months out of every year?

Also, it is ridiculous to think that a great flood once covered the entire earth. Even if all the ice on earth were to melt, the sea level would only rise a few hundred feet. Most of the earth’s land mass is over 500 feet in elevation, and would not have been affected by a flood.

The Bible is full of interesting stories, but it is not the literal truth. Jesus taught in allegories, which are stories which have a moral in them. The Bible is not meant to be taken literally.

If God meant for humans to eat a strict plant diet, he would have made the entire earth warm year round. The fact that we have winter and other non-productive seasons is evidence enough that we are meant to eat some animal foods, at least some of the time.

Think about it. In the days before cars and trucks and refrigerators and warehouses, when you had to go out and find something to eat every day, what in the world would you eat during the winter and during droughts? Or when you favorite fruit trees are not in season?

The idea of eating just fruits and veggies is only possible because of our modern farming and food transportation and storage technologies. There is nothing natural about it.

Michael T.

21. Natalie says:

Wow, that was an awesome interview. Thirty four years of living raw – certainly that is prrof in the pudding(chia pudding of course).
    Love you guys and hope the van can make it to Australia someday soon!

22. Joni says:

Great interview. I want more!! He looks fantastic, and what he has to say totally makes sense. I have felt so much better since I’ve gone mostly raw. Now it’s just trying to get my hubby and son to eat more fruits and veggies. It’s a daunting challenge.

23. Chelly says:

Thank you again! Kevin and Ann M, I really appreciate this because I believe in God and am 100% raw living organic vegan, exception honey. I am always very cautious of the commercialization of the raw diet and the dependency on the sun, wind and stars and not the Creator, who is responsible for all things. I eat a raw diet to be healthy and fulfill the will and purpose of God for my life. God is a healer, but in order to receive His healing, or health, we have to live according to His will, so whether you are a believer or not, if you eat the right foods which is Gods’ will, you will have health. I choose to take care of my body because I recognize it as not being my own. It actually belongs to God, because he created me. It is my duty to take care of it the way He has instructed. The bible is our Bodies Manual.

God created the heavens and Earth, if you want to know more about yourself, read the bible! Check out http://www.bfmmm.com or google Myles Munroe, he is a phenomenal teacher.

Raw Chef Chelly

24. matt says:

If you are a believer in the Bible, (which i am) The Gen 1:29 diet was instituted before DEATH which is a result of sin (GEN 3). Therefore if death did not exist, than Adam and Eve ate only LIVING foods, nothing DEAD. So, I would say that yes, we were originally intended to eat the raw food diet.

25. Craig S says:

Here is something interesting from the bible
    About Daniel Eating Vegetables and grains.
    Look what he experienced!!!!
    8 But Daniel resolved not to defile himself with the royal food and wine, and he asked the chief official for permission not to defile himself this way. 9 Now God had caused the official to show favor and sympathy to Daniel, 10 but the official told Daniel, “I am afraid of my lord the king, who has assigned your [c] food and drink. Why should he see you looking worse than the other young men your age? The king would then have my head because of you.”

11 Daniel then said to the guard whom the chief official had appointed over Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah, 12 “Please test your servants for ten days: Give us nothing but vegetables to eat and water to drink. 13 Then compare our appearance with that of the young men who eat the royal food, and treat your servants in accordance with what you see.” 14 So he agreed to this and tested them for ten days.

15 At the end of the ten days they looked healthier and better nourished than any of the young men who ate the royal food. 16 So the guard took away their choice food and the wine they were to drink and gave them vegetables instead.

17 To these four young men God gave knowledge and understanding of all kinds of literature and learning. And Daniel could understand visions and dreams of all kinds.

18 At the end of the time set by the king to bring them in, the chief official presented them to Nebuchadnezzar. 19 The king talked with them, and he found none equal to Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah; so they entered the king’s service. 20 In every matter of wisdom and understanding about which the king questioned them, he found them ten times better than all the magicians and enchanters in his whole kingdom.

26. Debra says:

As a Christian I don’t feel it’s correct to make asserts like eating meat is sinful or Jesus taught vegetarianism. Or even that we should all eat raw food.

What I AM learning is that God created food to be eaten in a whole and unprocessed state. The Jewish law had a lot of food regulations and they all seem to have to do with animal products – meaning great care was to be taken vs. the horrendous factory farming we see nowadays.

We didn’t really start stripping and processing food and injecting it with all sorts of toxic chemicals until the 20th century. Man decided he could do food better than God. Monsanto decided that they could do better than the genetic structure God created in plants. Kraft decided they could make cheap junk like ‘processed cheese food’ and feed the planet better than God could. Pharmaceutical companies decided that the herbs and whole foods God created weren’t as good as all the stuff they could come up with in their labs and created a huge profit making industry.

It’s really a pretty arrogant attitude and the consequences have been horrendous. Which is the entire story of the Garden of Eden – the snake offered Eve the opportunity to be ‘as Gods’ instead of living within the boundaries of existing spiritual and physical laws.

27. john says:

Kevin this program that you did with Pastor Malkmus is excellent, every thing he said, I agree with profusely.When I was in 3rd or 4th grade as a child I had feeling about being vegetarian was the right thing to do because of adam and eve,in the garden of eden.And several what verses alluding to Gods perfect plan is .God specifically tells Adam exactly what he is to eat, also note God does not tell adam to cook the food (kills enzymes etc.) Man is the only creation that gets heavily into cooking, animals eat raw they do not cook their foods in the wild yet they die of natural causes,and basically disease free,no heart attacks,diabetese ,etc. God is a Holy God and sovereign .God always gives us his very best .But as man sins and comes short to the GLORY OF GOD .GOD REGRESS DOWN from HIS ideal plan. example :vegetables (perfect) Godly plan verses killing and eating animals a regression down from God’s ideal plan. This is seen through out the scriptures numerous times and DISPENSATIONS as God changes his plans and how HE deals with people(s) and nations etc. Having said that about God,His Deity NEVER changes , His Power never changes He is the same yesterday, today and forever, omnipresent,omniscient ,omnipotent .God wants us to be saved by believing in His son Jesus because it cost Him -EVERYTHING ,HIS death,burial,and resurrection.If we trust and believe in Christ work on the cross, He said thou shalt be saved.His loss our gain.The most important decision YOU can make for FREE.God wants us because we who are saved are his forever .God wants from us to obey him and give Him GLORY ———because HE is GOD ALL MIGHTY . The bible( king james) has many treasure finds in it ,all we have to do is read and study it from a DISPENSATIONAL view, to know the time and what is taking place,and to who is being addressed by whom. Context of scripture whom it applies,etc. Thank you.

28. Suniiti says:

Hi
    Not just the Christian bible advocates a plant based diet. Most of the Asian based philosophies explore these areas, not just from a ‘natural’or health perspective but from the spiritual evolution aspect. Yogic diets (not to be confused with modern Indian based cuisine) is focussed on internal cleansing of the body and mind dyad. So there is a whole lot more to this debate.
    Suniiti

29. Brenon says:

Enjoyed above comments. Believe in raw vegan for all diet. Had not thought of Rev. Malkmus idea that all the vegetation died in a flood. If the story is true, the entire planet was not warm anymore. So in order to live in colder climates, I guess some meat eating was necessary. However, not everyone cooked meat. According to Howell’s book on enzymes, the Eskimos did not cook it before Europeans came there, and they did not suffer all the common diseases that they now suffer. This was mainly because of the enzymes in the raw meat. But eating raw meat today has a lot of dangers.

30. taylor says:

I don’t think that a complete raw food diet is what is intended, but a complete plant-based diet? YES!

The only problem with cooking vegetables is that you end up loosing some of the nutrient in whatever you cook in. So if you steam vegetables, Drink the water you steam them in! there’s a ton of nutrients in there!

Or my favorite is Vegetable soup(lightly salted/seasoned), and the broth is the best part! Because I know how healthy it is.

Vegetables are vegetables, and I think it’s healthiest to prepare them in different ways.

God bless!

-taylor

31. Mila says:

What a beautiful interview! I couldn’t agree more, nature abundantly provides all we need!

Besides, physiologically I don’t believe we are built to hunt… it was only when man created weapons and discovered fire that he was able to hunt and consume meat. Without the use of weapons and fire, I’d like to see someone hunt their pray with their bare hands, bite through the skin and flesh with their bare teeth, and successfully avoid getting sick eating raw flesh… would be hard to do!

Having said that, I do feel it’s possible to consume small quantities of animal products (organic, hormone free, non-factory farmed) and still be healthy… only because I’ve seen cultures who grow their own crops and hunt wild meat, while maintaining good health.

32. LuAnn Agustin says:

Hi Kevin & Ann Marie,
    I do believe that the raw food diet is truly the way we were meant to eat and had it shown to me in a very powerful way.
    In Dec. 2006 I was a 48 year old atheist weighing in at 225 pounds. I suffered a stroke, was hospitalized, told I was diabetic and had to shoot insulin four times a day into my stomach for the rest of my life, and given prescriptions for my high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc.
    My son Daniel, is a raw foodist and he’s guided me safely on my journey. Now I am medicinefree, haven’t been sick in almost 3 years, dropped 85 pounds, have so much more energy and vitality than the last 30 years of my young adulthood.
    Oh, and thanks to the teachings of Rev. George Malkmus, I am no longer an atheist and I have a reverence for my life and it’s purpose.
    No I am not perfect, I am still a work in progress. By God’s will I shall keep improving and it is never too late to change. You CAN teach an old dog new tricks.
    Hallelujah!

33. Satori says:

Born and raised in Japan, Christianity has had nothing to do with my life.

One thing I know though is that Japanese monks traditionally eat 100% vegan.

I think we’re meant to eat vegan diet. It doesn’t matter if God meant it or not.

34. nick says:

Why we were meant to eat fruits and vegetables is common sense if you look at the humane body on it own and also compare it to animals who eat flesh. !st our hands are made to pick fruit they are not claws to slice animal meat. Our teeth are flat to chew vegetables and fruit no large fangs to tear flesh. Our digestive system is long and the enzymes and acids are suitable for digesting a vegan diet. Meat-eaters: have strong hydrochloric acid in stomach to digest meat Humans have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat-eater Meat-eaters: have intestinal tract that is only 3 times their body length so that rapidly decaying meat can pass through quickly. Meat-eaters: salivary glands in mouth not needed to pre-digest grains and fruits.

Humans: well-developed salivary glands, which are necessary to pre-digest, grains and fruits

Meat-eaters: have acid saliva with no enzyme ptyalin to pre-digest grains

Humans: have alkaline saliva with ptyalin to pre-digest grains

The last and most obvious is when you have a cooked meal especially with meat you feel tired and want to goto sleep your body is using all its energy to digest the dead corps;

When you eat raw fruit and vegetables you feel energized !!!

We are all God its just some of us are more aware then others.

35. Marqueta says:

I do believe that we are meant to live off of the vegetation provided for us, and use animals only in survival situations. I would definitely kill and cook an animal if my children were starving and there were no other food!

Before modern food transportation, anyone who could had a root cellar and an attic. The root cellar was obviously to store root veggies (carrots, potatoes, yams, turnips, beets, etc.), as well as cabbages, apples, and sweet apple cider.

The attic was used to store winter squash, pumpkins, garlic, and onions, as well as any herbs used for cooking for medicine.

People also extensively used fermented foods in the winter months, such as sauerkraut, which kept well.

And of course, the oldest method of food preservation was simple sun-drying!

~Marqueta

36. Brian says:

I thought diseases were rather caused by lack of greens than eating meat.

In harsh seasons, it is nearly impossible to get your greens locally if there are no greenhouses.

I certainly feel much better after eating greens regardless of the season. Without it, I tend to develop food cravings and feel less alert. Maybe that is why more sleep is required in winter.

I really miss summer.

37. Scott says:

Awesome interview Kevin! The whole “Jesus and fish” thing is so simple if you think about it. It’s all about ORIGINAL intentions. For example, God never intended married couples to divorce, but because of the hardness of man’s heart, God ALLOWED divorce (even though the Bible says he “hates divorce”). Same goes for diet. God’s ORIGINAL diet for mankind was the 100% raw vegan diet of Genesis 1:29. But because of the hardness of man’s heart, God ALLOWED man to eat flesh (even though it causes us all kinds of harm). God’s original intention is always the best; and that’s exactly why the ORIGINAL diet for mankind works the wonders that it does.

38. Dianne says:

George says in this very interview, “We include nothing from animal origin.” George takes fish oil (and not “mock” fish oil) and, he recommends fish oil to his Hallelujah Acres family. Last I heard, fish oil comes from fish and it is of animal origin and fish has a “face”. This information is straight from George’s website:

I wish for all of you ToLiveWell…
    Dianne Wawrzyniak-Marshall

39. Tommy says:

One only needs to look at nature to see that we were meant to eat a raw vegan diet. What makes humans think that they should be eating cooked food when all other animals on earth eat a raw food diet and thrive?

40. connie says:

Who says I “pray on Sundays”? :)

Hey guys, let’s not use this forum for preaching–or Kevin might NOT continue providing us with such excellent episodes!

Connie

41. jesus myers says:

Hey guys lets not ruin a good thing with more religious narrow minded veiws like this.YES I eat 90% raw and that includes MEAT and no I don’t live in the wilderness like a mountain man .But I do know raw is natural and all things are living and die when you eat them ‘plant or animal’our universe cosumes it self get over it just because a plant has no face does not me it is not alive.this guys message is the usual “I know what god wants garbage”

42. Shayan says:

The Raw Food Diet is complete horseshit! Two words: Weston Price. The raw food diet is a scam!

43. Gary says:

Well, the way I see it as far as biblical times and ancient history and all, is I just look at all the other animals in this world.
    We humans are the only animals that cook food to eat. We are the only animals that drink milk from another animal.
    We are the only animals with all these diseases such as cancer, diabetes, etc. There is a reason.
    Eating an un-natural diet.
    We are born to eat fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds. It’s so simple. Eat this way and your health is awesome.

44. Mary Artemis says:

B/z it was in the beginning and it shall be so in the end. Alleluia!

45. Kaz says:

Wow the Reverend is a shining light! Thank you for these interviews with him.

Regarding comment number 8 – Sanjula – I also would like to see a show regarding ‘homeostatic resistance’.

Cheers!
    Kaz

46. YEs I agree although Im raw I wouldnt expect everyone to want to take that pathway.
    I think people are so out of touch about what is a natural diet that I think it is good to encourage organic cruelty free and natural eating a much as possible.What we dont want to become as a community is seperate from others who arnt following this lifestyle thats not spiritual or loving.
    I think that religion is what seperates us from being spiritual,so the whole scripture thing can be a bit of a turn off as it can become a bit preachy.Although I think the reverands heart is in the right place and is doing great things I still think that we should turn inwards to reflect on what is best for our higher selves.I have to also say that any kind of healing comes from the persons willingness to change a healer/doctor/herb/ etc is just a catalyst.
    Lastly with regards to being raw and never getting a cold ….I agree to difffer.Health is a balance of the mind body and spirit not just what we put in our mouth.

47. Eric says:

It is valuable to look at ancient texts for information. The bible was written long after agriculture was established, which is quite a landmark. What is more fascinating is the story of Cain and Abel. Abel kept flocks, Cain worked the soil – who’s offering did God accept? I’ve heard ministers and writers say that no one knows why God did not accept Cain’s offering, but I think that’s hogwash. Cain deviated from nature by tilling the soil.

I think the story of Genesis and Eden and eating the fruit is the loss of man’s consciousness, not the awakening of it – the tree of knowledge of good and evil is also, in a more complete translation, the tree of knowledge of blessing and calamity. To know what is a blessing or a calamity is to oroject a value judgment (judge not, lest ye be judged), to begin to compartmentalize and separate things, physically and psychologically. Ultimately this becomes objectification. The agriculturalist objectifies nature, while the (sustainable, natural, indigenous) herder works with it.

I think the Eden story has more to do with living sustainably within nature than specific rules about what to eat.

I have heard, however, that gnostic texts shed a completely different light on Genesis, and I have not read them, yet. Does the Rev. have any thoughts on gnosticism? Other religions?

We are living in a toxic world and the animals need a break, they have been abused, their habitats have been abused. The Earth is showing us that we are abusing animals by making us sick when we eat them. The studies showing the negative health effects of meat, like the China Study are tremendous and I think vegetarianism is a very wise and important choice. I think it will be important as time goes on to revise those studies in the context of grass fed animals, animals slaughtered in a certain way, and so on (I hear so many raw people talk about fear hormones in animals – is this documented – is this affected by the way an animal dies? How do indigenous cultures that consume animals overcome this?). If our goal is for a whole ecosystem, in ourselves, and the world around us, then we shouldn’t be afraid to confront this issue, because if there is scientific proof that animal agriculture, as it is, is toxic, but other forms of partnership with animals are healthy, then we will be closer to our goal by showing more specifically what is toxic in the big picture. There will be less argument for those who insist on eating chocolate chip pancake covered sausage on a stick.

I think it is rather dangerous to begin stating that your God dictated your diet. I think that is the sort of judgment of blessing and calamity of which Genesis warns, the sort of absolutist judgment of good and evil that brought us here, that only God, whatever he or she is, can make or know.

I would like to say that I appreciate Rev. Malkmus, he has lots of good information and obviously is humble about his spirituality, so I am in no way criticizing him. I am also very impressed with his website and think the testimonials on it are awesome. I am grateful that he has helped so many people and that so many people have helped themselves!

48. lynda says:

God wants us to be healthy..we have to much to do to spend our time sickly and sad.
    When you come to this intersection in life, raw, vegan..cooked, uncooked it’s good to get imput from across the spectrum.

I went to the Rev’s website after the first interview and watched some of his presentations. It was very helpful to have someone in his age group speaking in terms that my mom and dad can relate and respect.They are interested but don’t want to be linked to anything to “new age”..a term I find ironic considering fruit and veggies have been here awhile.

The Rev may a different perspective on the same idea, eating raw is a better choice than the standard American diet. All of us who started this journey find a voice within the community that speaks to us, there needs to be choir of voices to sing..the Rev has been at choir practice for many years, for this he has my respect.

49. Taariq says:

As an American Muslim who has been into this diet for about 10 years I can say to the best of my limited knowledge that Islaam teaches that it’s not an obligation on mankind to eat a raw diet, however it appears, and it’s my own personal opinion that the raw diet is ideal in most cases, being that it’s closest to what the Creator has created, in the state that He created it, making it most beneficial. (Which could be why the concept of local wild foods being ideal for humans resonates so strongly for many).

I respect the preachers’ opinion and enjoyed the interview very much. I really liked his answer about how faith plays a part, but disagree in the sense that healing still comes from the Creator. It’s just that his mercy extends to those who don’t believe in Him (in this life), and that’s how people who reject His existence can still be healed, or rich, or happy etc..

50. Sheila says:

To me, this is the best interview you’ve had on your show! It makes perfect sense! Thank you!

51. Taariq says:

After reflecting on what the reverend said, I think I missed a subtle point. His opinion was that faith had little to do with healing, but he never said that healing didn’t ultimately come from God in spite of some peoples’ disbelief or lack of faith in him.

I guess my point that I just wanted to add is that (from an Islaamic point of view) healing still ultimately goes back to the mercy of our Creator regardless, even for those who deny Him in this life, and that’s how even those without faith can still be healed through a raw diet, or other means.

God knows best, and my apologies for that slight misunderstanding. May the Creator guide us all to that which is correct in every aspect, ameen…

52. Kym Hutcheon says:

The Reverend seems like a really cool guy. I imagine he has a lot more wisdom to impart. But, as far as I can see, I’m afraid the eating raw, vegan, etc. for God argument has some holes in it.

Unless you also believe humans should only live in areas with year-round fresh produce available, it is simply not practical. People who live in desert or artic areas don’t count?

And how about cultures with no Christian traditions? They got the word it was ok to eat meat after the flood then spread to remote Pacific islands or the depths of the Amazon jungle? ‘Fraid that just don’t add up for me.

I could go on but it is a fairly long list. For us, the relatively wealthy elite who read this blog, eating vegetarian, vegan, raw, etc. is a moral, ethical choice. Many other people are not so gifted as to have this option. You can’t just decree it as being right for all. It really is a very geo/ethnocentric point of view.

The one other thing I wish people would let up on is the ‘look at the elephants and gorillas, etc., they get they protein from plants.’ Sure, they do, but they also spend most of their day eating to get sufficient volume and they are adapted for this life in ways that humans simply are not.

53. Jeff says:

Kev,

Awesome interview. This man is a light in the Christian Church. As far as God having “intentions” I don’t know. But I do believe that evidence shows and in a brief time my body shows that this diet overall is the best diet for us.

54. Jewels says:

I love your show. I live in the U.S. Virgin Islands. I am a vegetable farmer. We are somewhat behind the times here. We have two small health food stores that cary maybe a few items and are unafordable. I order alot of stuff online. Your website doesn’t have VI as an opption for shipping. I would like to order from you because I want to support what you are doing. Shipping to the VI is the same as anywhere in the U.S. Maybe you could help me out here. Thank you for all that you are doing.

55. Peg says:

I agree with Connie–please not so much preaching!!

56. Michael T: You do realize that the climate has changed a lot over millions of years right?
    Also, there are still several places that are warm all year round.

We have been able to survive in colder climates thanks to our ability to adapt and find alternative food sources. That doesn’t mean that it’s our ideal climate or diet.

You also seem to forget about greens, which is the primary food source for primates and available in abundance all year in most climates.

Also, there was no reason for the supply of fruits and veggies to be “sufficient to feed a large amount of people” since the earth wasn’t over populated by humans until recently.

That said, insects does seem to be a common food for other primates, so I’m not entirely convinced that our ideal diet is 100% plant based. But I am convinced that we originally didn’t need to kill and eat other mammals to survive, and I think that it’s a destructive behavior.

57. Rev John says:

Howdy all—I’m a recovering vegeholic, I followed Rev Malkmus for about 8 years, until I started developing some strange physical symtems, teeth getting loose, hair thinning, finger nails getting very brittle, and loss of energy. That is when I discovered that I needed some animal protien in my diet. Even the buhdist monks in Nepal eat 3 eggs a week, they need it for thier brains to function properly, and they’re all about brain power. Anyway I started including clean meats, fish, and eggs back in my diet and I got my energy back and all the symtems went away. Now Jesus was a very strict vgetarian. When the Catholic church decided what would be in the Bible, they left out a lot of important stuff, like stories of Jesus helping animals, his fasting practices, and the keeping of established rituals and Holy days. Do the research, like I did, before you get fantical about it. In The Bible it says Jesus fed the mutitude with loaves and fishes, when He actually fed them with grapes and bread. No, that is not in the current Bible, it, and many other of Jesus’s teachings were either changed or left out in order to get the pagans if the time to convert, about the year 300 AD. Enough said about that, I still have to get a turkey for next week, I do eat that once a year. Have a happy Thanksgiving—Rev John

58. Joan says:

I believe a mostly raw, plant based diet to be the best diet for mankind…in any season or location. Great interview and enjoy others comments!

59. May Blom says:

Definitely! Especially after being on a raw diet for 1yr and 1/2 and noticing such a big difference in how I feel! I’m 49 yrs old and hope to live well into my 100’s!

60. Leslie says:

is he a blood type A ?

61. FeralKevin says:

Although I agree largely in principle with the dietary advice, saying that there is any ONE diet that someone should be eating is a form of insanity in my opinion. Clearly, we all shouldn’t eat the same thing. Some the healthiest people in the world eat tons of animal products and cooked food, and some of the most unhealthy are raw vegans, and vice versa. I think it’s a problem when belief and ideology claim that there is ONE anything.

62. Brandon says:

Yes I believe a raw food diet is what is intended for us. But eating with the seasons is of most impotance. Do you think you can apply this to recipe wednesdays? I just cant enjoy a tomato in the winter.

63. Mike Henderson says:

Hi kevin,anne-marie and support,
    I believe god always gives us what we need.
    In the Sylvia Browne books-Jesus it is asserted eat fish and lamb yet the Essene
    movement insist he was a devout vegetarian
    all is life.Interestingly it is claimed he drank wine because the sanitary conditions were so bad that cholera was common.History
    is a double edged sword and open to inter-
    pretation.
    There is to consider the sungazing phenomena
    with Hira Ratan Manek and the breatharian
    movement Michael Werner of the book ‘life
    from light’ with Thomas Stockli gives scientific validation to an approach we can perhaps evolve to-butthis is not for everyone.
    We are conditioned by fears,social conditioning and genetic components that make
    this process very challenging to us and I look
    to DR John Whitman-Ray of Body electronics
    to paraphrase:
    sometimes we have to suspend our rigidity of
    complying with one law of life to comply with
    another- is it our destiny? karma? to be raw food vegan.

64. Ellen says:

Yes, we’re intended to eat a raw food diet! Thanks for the interview with Rev. M, even though I know you may not agree with all his views!

65. Christine says:

Kevin:

I believe George Malkamus learned a lot about Health by reading the Health Books written by Ellen G. White back in the 1800’s(she was a Seventh Day Adventist)

Halleluia Acres is good, but they don’t have the whole Health Message…I believe they still allow Cider Vinegar and Fermented Foods…If you read the Health Books I was telling you about, they speak against Black Pepper, Vinegar and Fermented Foods…these foods still imbalance the PH of the body…Seventh Day Adventists are considered to be the Healthiest People in the World and it is because we have been given a Health Message that no one else has…The others are good, but not the best..They still allow some foods that are not the best..(I appreciate what Malkamus teaches…I teach mostly the same of what he says, but as I said before, I believe he received his teachings from our books)

Just wanted to share that I don’t pray to God on Sunday only but everyday…but the Sabbath/7th day is not Sunday..It’s Sabbath(Friday Sundown to Saturday Sundown)

Exodus Genesis 2:2-3; 20:8-11; Matthew 24:3,20; Acts 13:14-15,42,44; Acts 15:21; Acts 16:13; Acts 17:2; Acts 18:4,11; Hebrews 4:1-11; John 14:15; Matthew 19:17; 1 Corinthians 7:19; 1 John 2:3-4; 1 John 5:3; Revelation 22:14

66. Very very interesting. I have been really thinking about this for awhile now and would love to see myself changing. I think it’s lack of info for us. I do not know know where to begin on this “new” food choice of diet. I have recently started taking Vidazorb probiotics because I see these beneficial bacteria as vital too. I just love this and really have the interest to look into how to make the change!

67. Brent says:

Yes i feel that in the beginning we were all vegan however its obvious that the fruit isn’t what it used to be, we can survive off it and im sure we only got by on smaller portions of food. The thing is today we and our environment have changed so we have to take that in to consideration, if we need a bit of meat (B12, V.D) that’s ok…what about the eskimos..they must be sinners??!
    If it there is only one diet then why is there so much confusion today over what that is, why do most of us have problems on 100% raw vegan? Or 80/10/10? If it was that clear then we wouldnt have so many opinions.

68. Carol says:

Kevin,
    Thank you for the interview and all the resulting lively conversations…….it’s always a great pleasure to see what you come up with and how some people respond.
    I thought he was marvelous.

69. Andrea says:

Yes – before the Fall, when Adam rebelled against God through disobedience, there was no death or destruction, so there would have been no fire (no fuel) for cooking; hence, food was raw. The knowledge that God designed and created our bodies provides great wisdom in knowing what to eat, and how to live. When I came home one day with HRT from my gynecologist, my wise husband simply said, “Andrea, God designed your body, and He knows what He’s doing; when you are past child-bearing, your body’s needs change” – so, I threw out the pills (which a year later my gynecologist was relieved to hear). In trusting my Creator, I have a framework in which to view food, vaccinations, disease, etc. Following God’s plan, I eat foods that will boost my incredibly designed immune system (see http://www.icr.org 11/09 article). Reading the bible helps me to critically question things that are taken for granted (standard medical procedures, standard diets, etc.) and discern falsehood, knowing that “the love of money is the root of all evil” (1 Tim 6:10). Knowing I have a loving God who died on the cross for me guides me in how I am to live – with an attitude of humility, thankfulness to Him, and love for others, living in peace for His glory. Kevin and Annmarie, I was very happy to see this interview with Rev. Malkmus, since I had been hoping you would be led to the God of the bible. You appear to be seeking spiritual truth from many sources, and I was concerned where that might lead you; just as Eve was deceived by Satan in the Garden, he continues to deceive many today. You two seem to have humble hearts, openness in seeking truth and learning from others, and a love and concern for the welfare of others. Please continue on the path that has been opened to you, in reading the bible (KJV) and learning not only about the food mentioned, but more importantly about Jesus’s incredible love for you. “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God” (Matt 4:4). If there are any sincere seekers who have questions and/or would like to be directed to resources, please email me at lovetheWord62@yahoo.com

70. Kim says:

loving this talk!!! I agree with the Reverend. I believe we should be eating that way. I have always believed that some things are meant for The Feast which should be rare, however people have been feasting way more than the body can handle. I hope there is more of this to come.

71. Elaine says:

Yes, thanks Kevin for going there and interviewing the Rev., a refreshing point of view among many! I’m glad you are trying to be balanced with your guests, after so many unusual ones this year. Please people, read the Bible on your own and form your own opinions, there are so many misquotes here it’s ridiculous.

72. Shashyk Sobe says:

LOVE the interview !
    I believe GoD creates our food in nature , thats all we need.
    the best interview i had heard in the show ,tahnks

73. Jenn says:

Thanks for posting, it was an interesting post. Very energetic man, and I was into all he had to say the first 1/2 until he started blaming all illness on animals products.

I cut out a lot of animal for years, I was even worse. The majority of ALL my food sensitivites have turned out to be plant based so for me cutting out grains, nuts and raw apples(shocker for me, but they kill my GI) has helped while I eat small amounts of local fish and meat with NO problems at all.

I think we were meant to eat as natural as possible, but I do not believe that for all people this means a vegan diet.

I agree with Michael T’s post the most!

74. Joy says:

Sally Fallon said “Let nature be your guide”. Hippocrates said “Let thy food be thy medicine and the medicine be thy food”. Primitive cultures have consumed meat way before modern commercial man told us to. It’s just modern industry that has reduced it’s quality. I have had a huge increase in energy and happiness since increasing raw foods in my diet, but I still consume high quality dairy every day and meat every week. You don’t have to be an extremest to reek the benefits. Just cut out all the commercial crap. I love the stories of god But I’m afraid I’m too much of a realist to believe in him. It all sounds a bit like brain washing to me.

75. PE says:

A quarter to a half million years ago on African coasts, our ancestors lived on, among other things, fish and seafood, because the inner continent was drought-stricken.
    Some of us left, occupying the rest of the world in time. Our distant ancestors number maybe 600-1200; the rest, and there must have been more, are gone.
    It’s still an open question whether we’re archaic sapiens-Neanderthal hybrids; I’m easy.
    But Joy, you don’t believe in an Imaginary Friend? How shocking!

76. carol c says:

intended or not is not so much what matters, but its a great idea and makes sense.

77. Wonda says:

This is exactly what my parents taught me when I was growing up. Regardless of your religious beliefs…or lack thereof…fruits, nuts and grains were the orginal diet. After Adam and Eve left Eden God added vegetables to their diet, but we were never intended to survive on animal flesh. Vegetables or the green herb (as they are referred to in the Bible)were originally food for animals. Even animals did not eat meat until Adam and Eve left Eden as a result of their sin.

Great stuff! Thanks Kevin and Ann-Marie for the diversity of information you bring to us.

78. Cindy (Sydney, Australia) says:

The Reverend puts things in such simplistic and logical perspective. He has something about him that i just love.
    I had never thought about God and the Garden of Eden (I’m not very religious and don’t know the Bible versus he spoke about) but it does make complete sense. He certainly practices what he preaches and I find him inspirational and his passion is exuberating. Thanks for showing this and the previous interview with him, I loved them both.
    To answer your Question, it would seem so by what the Reverend said. I have recently given up meat and dairy, but am still eating eggs & a little chicken. I have learnt that changing your diet is a progression (from an interview you guys had in the Rawkathon) so giving these up and going raw maybe a long road ahead but at least i’m on that road. Thanks for your contribution as you have been the catalyst to me changing. Have a great day guys

79. Florence says:

Thank you. I really enjoyed this interview. I love stories. It was the first time I hear someone studying the diet through the bible. Very interesting.
    To answer the question. I have been vegetarian for seven years. I healed constipation with that but I found my diet became much more efficient when I became vegan. Indee when I eat some cheese… I am french!!! It feels cluttered in my body. The best is when I eat raw. So yes I think raw is the way.At least 80% raw.Then little cooked food to nurture emotionsw and when it is cold!
    Florence

80. Jill says:

That was a very good interview…however about raw being the way we were intended to eat, I don’t think exclusively or exclusively animal, but a mixture of both. And NO I do NOT believe in god…I am a Satanist and consider myself my own god! :)

81. Laura says:

Not really sure. I’m not a believer in the stories of the bible, since I feel they were written by men and men of their time at that.

But that being said,
    I would love to make the change completely myself to raw vegan. I’d even settle for mostly raw and include some brown rice and quinoa and maybe some steamed veggies too.

But my burning question is if this is the way we’re meant to eat, why do I crave meat so ravenously after a stretch of raw vegan only or even mixed vegan raw and cooked???

I’ve tried to use beans, nuts, seeds to curb that ravenous craving but it hasn’t worked yet. It’s not until I give in and have some meat (albeit clean and kindly raised animal meat)that my craving settles down and I can go for another stretch of eating vegan.

82. Laura says:

I don’t quite understand when people claim to have given up meat and in the next breath say they eat chicken.

NEWSFLASH: Chicken IS meat. So therefore you have NOT given up meat.

Just FYI for anyone who might be confused. I know that many think when they refer to meat they mean red meat from cow, bison, calves, etc. but any flesh coming from any animal is meat. That includes fish (to all you Catholics out there) and chicken.

The Rev’s way of figuring it out is a good one. Ask yourself, does it have a face??? It’s an old question and indication used my many vegetarians and vegans.

83. What a great talk! Totally agree – even tho I’m not religious. But it is after all, just common sense. Humans always think they’re so superior just cause we can ‘think’ and are ‘smart’, and still we are so dumb in so many ways.
    I’m a marine biology graduate and all through the course we’ve been told to eat as low on the food chain as possible, cause we’re running out of resources, depleting the oceans and lands and that the world is over populated. So eating green isn’t just common sense but also science. Clearly.

84. Sure! I believe more and more everyday that we need only plant based diet. I am a Christian too and feel that God is returning me and my family back to this original diet only this way we may be called humans. Glory to God for everything!

85. I don’t believe that people need to eat a vegan diet necessarily, but vegetarian, definitely. Having grown up in a hardcore carnivore household, I’ve taken great pains to eliminate meat from my diet, starting with one meal a day, and now two.

“Where did the meat on the cow come from?” was a great sound byte from the Reverend, and I, too can attest that I haven’t gotten sick since starting this diet. Give it a shot, people!

It’s interesting how he says at one point his people are suffering from lack of knowledge (in nutrition and as a result are eating poorly), but it was man’s eating from the tree of knowledge that cast them out of the Garden of Eden and into a life of eating animal-source food.

86. John says:

proud atheist/raw foodie for quite some time. Though science shows we have evolved to eat meat and our intestines have shortened to eat cooked food, I know that I function best on a high raw diet. I have tons of energy, stamina, focus, and wonderful skin. Not to mention that I usually feel pretty happy, and have not gotten ill since I started this diet. This is proof enough for me!

87. Lori says:

although the bible does not say you have to eat it raw, it does state to stay with whole foods. (although it doesnt say it like that, whole foods, but whatever grows on earth) some things like tomatoes only release certain things when they are heated up some. He is correct, let food be your doctor!! Thats why when people use to find people that were sick or weak, they would give them water and food!

88. michael says:

raw food is the origin of our nature, we need the energy it gives to us to live. his example of the car was perfect, as it needs a certain octane (gas) to perform correctly. as do we, if we contaminate our bodies with synthetic muck, we will perform like, well…muck!

jesus died for our sins, he took them from us and gave us access to god through the holy spirit. yes, it is true, his resurrection is historical proof. his stripes (lashes) gave us our healing. as it is said in the bible…”by his stripes we are healed.” Isaiah 53:4-5, 700 years before Christ came to us, remarkable prophecy.

so eat live foods and allow God’s enzymes to heal you through his original plan for us.

but eat organic, because the earth today is leached by years of chemicals, so our minerals are not present.

thank you kevin for your open heart to allow God’s message to educate all of us.

Blessings to you all,

michaelz

89. Denise says:

Hello Kevin and Ann Marie! First I want to say that this is one of the BEST videos I’ve seen so far. Yes i do firmly believe God intended us to eat this way. I’ve been a 100% raw foodist and it will be 1 year November 30th. God makes no mistakes and where raw food comes in is that nothing can be added to it or taken away from it. He intended for us to consume our food in their natural state -PERIOD. Since I’ve gone raw, with God’s help my body quickly went from 155 to 135. My energy level that was already huh skyrocketed and my skin is so bright! I thank God for the both of you because most all of my recipes have come from your videos. God is working thru the both of you and I’m THAKKFUL today!!

90. Janie says:

Hi All!

I totally agree with what the Pastor of Hallelujah acres is saying. I think some people might say that he is not correct…but he explains further in his video clip that it was God’s “original” plan for us to eat raw/vegan…and because of circumstances…God allowed people to eat the flesh of animals. I personally see how people would continue to eat this way.we are born and raised that way..for a time….however, there are consequence…health issues for doing it…because…we, people today, are not in the same situation that Noah and his family were in after the flood to still be eating meat and meat by-products. We have a choice..they really didn’t…and God allowed it…now it is our choice of eating raw/vegan or to eat as the world eats…if you don’t have a problem with eating today’s diet…got for it…but there are natural health consequences that go with that choice…OR…you can choose to eat raw vegan and spare yourself a lot of the consequences of eating animal by-products…I don’t feel it is wrong per sae…not sure how the animals feel about it…it is all about choices…everyone has to make the choices for themselves…and live the the consequences…or benefits…

Would love to hear more about Hallelujah acres.

Are you Kevin and Ann Marie…involved with Hallelujah acres?

91. KC says:

Thank you for this video, Kevin. And thanks to all the folks who commented! The logical side of my brain tells me we were intended to eat from the earth, the things that surround us, based on the season. Today, most of us do not live in a garden as lush and plentiful as the garden of Eden, so humans have been forced to make do. God gave humans our wonderful brains, and while much good has come from our abilities, I believe we have gone WAY overboard (the comment above about Monsanto “doing food better than God” says it best). After being on the planet for almost 49 years, I admit to being one who still opts for convenience more often than not (I do NOT mean fast foods,and classic “garbage” however), and is greatful for my grocery store and it’s buying power. Bottom line, I don’t really know what God intended, But I’m greatful for the ability to participate in the debate! And because I live in the midwest, and it is winter, I am thankful I can eat citrus fruit braught to me by man’s hands, trucks, trains and planes.

92. Nick says:

Some blame it on our lack of fur, but there are other ways to warm ourselves & eating/drinking at 105 degrees is plenty warming enough even to restore our core body temp from hypothermic levels. God sun ripens our fruits, veges etc. That seems enough like cooking for all animals, fish, birds–all life forms, except humans. So who’s out of step here? & yes, there’s the problem for us northerners whose foods are picked green then unnaturally ripened en (1000 mile) route. But that’s tangential to the argument that raw is nature’s way, most evidently. The colour of our foods attracts us; the structural integrity reflects the nutrients are intact. It’s about the biggest DUH tho that is hardest to come to terms with, against the force of habit, the comforting nostalgic resonance of a good ol’ home cooked meal, yada blah, yada blah. But we will overcome, yay!

93. Demetra says:

This is a good discussion- I appreciate what the reverend has to say and I think that the raw diet is right for some. Thankfully, the issues we have today are the same issues Paul addressed in his letter to the church in Corinth almost 2000 years ago. In 1 Corinthians 11:23-33 Paul talks about the Believer’s Freedom, that is, the freedom of a follower of Jesus to “eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience.” I believe that Paul says this (due to Acts 10:9-16 when Jesus appears to Peter in a vision and declares things that were once unclean are now clean to eat) because nothing should be an unnecessary stumbling block for people to believe in Jesus. We should decide for ourselves, in our own conscience what is right for us to do in this situation. God did not make a commandment to eat meat or to not eat meat- it is for us to choose. We also should not judge another believer’s decision about what they eat based on our own convictions (1 Cor 10:29-30). Most of the reverends scriptures were from the Old Testament, but we know that Jesus came and delivered a New Covenant, making it possible for people from all backgrounds to believe. We are under the New Covenant, and we can learn much from the former, thank God. Ultimately, I hope we will all do as Paul says in verse 31, “So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.” I know that I can work on being better at that, myself.

94. PE says:

So Earth is some 6000 yrs old? Not million let alone billion, thousand? And when the great mythic Flood (stolen by the bible writers from the Sumerian Epic of Gilgamesh) destroyed all the plants, human survivors were forced to eat animals, which were living on… ummmmm junk food? Imports? Promises? Maybe credit…
    I think the Rev was intended to eat crow. But he’d never notice, taking the word of Moses, or someone else with the same name, over good sense.
    But in the world of prehistory it’s true Neanderthals may (or not) have been done in by a diet too high in meat. And hominids may have come about by eating it, the way chimps often do. Lucky for us, evolution had no intentions.

95. There may have been a time when the earth had much of it’s water in the sky which would have made the temperature fairly uniform and presumably comfortable. Energy needs at the time of the garden of Eden, would have been low so eating a fruit or vegetable now and then would not have elevated insulin much, but upon the flood and an ice age, energy needs and availability of plant foods changed dramatically. Although man was obviously originally designed to be vegetarian for the most part, the only ones to survive the last ice age were the ones that evolved to become 90% meat eaters. A minister in the south might be able to get along pretty well on raw fruits and veggies but many of us have much greater energy needs which might require the more concentrated zero glycemic calories of fats.

96. Katherine says:

I love hearing everyone’s thoughts…so many passionate people! However, I do get tired of the explanation that humans should be more like animals. “Animals eat raw…Animals eat fruit and vegetable…”

We are not just like animals. We dont have a lot of fur and hair on our bodies. We have the ability to make fire, to hold knives, and to create supplements to help our digestion. Aren’t those all “God given” gifts too? Yes our hands are great for picking fruit, they are also great for wielding a knife to skin a deer. Which use is righteous? You can decide for yourself by observing your own body.

I just get tired of some of the arguments for humans that are based on the habits of mice and squirrels. Last I checked I was about as different from a mouse as a fish is from a bicycle! Eat what you want…there is more “sin” in fixating on bodily health than there is in eating junk food. What are you doing with your health? Are you serving the poor? Are you dancing with joy? Then that is righteousness.

97. Katherine says:

What are all the raw foodies gonna do when the US becomes the poorest country in the world and cant afford to import from all over the world? When oil runs out and all the water is contaminated and there is no fuel for making plastics and water filters and juicers? I guess Florida and California will survive and the rest of us Northerners will have to wither up and die like the industrial sinners that we are. Karma is God’s strongest law….and we have generations of it to live out, so enjoy the raw food while you can…but make sure you are willing to eat some Spam too, you may just need it someday.

98. Marie1225 says:

To #20 Michael T.

I beg to differ with you the Holy Bible is the literal Word of God, the Creator of Heaven and Earth. The Garden of Eden was also a very real place, not mythical at all. Also a great flood covering the Earth actually makes great sense. http://www.answersingenesis.org

To #13 Victoria

I wholeheartedly agree with you. He really struck me funny when he said that about the Lord. I can tell you from personal experience that I have been healed from depression and migraines by God’s hand.

99. Richard Dennis says:

Hey Kevin,

God is spelled with a capital “G”.

Blessings,

Richard

100. Elena says:

One of my absolute favorite interviews ever! I face a lot of the things he discusses in the Christian community, every kind of excuse they can come up with going straight to the bible. I always go back to the same place: Genesis 1! Awesome!

101. John says:

Terrific! He’s quite convincing and a great example of long-term success. Although I just eat mostly raw foods, I agree with him that it makes sense as our ideal, natural human diet.

— John

102. Peter says:

right on 93. Demetra I was waiting for the Reverend to talk about those verses by Paul too. Right on. right on.

103. Clove says:

Interesting discussion. After the fall of mankind into sin God had to sacrifice the first animal to cover Adam and Eve’s nakedness and they had to leave the garden so they would not “eat of the tree of life and live forever” in this fallen condition. As a result, our bodies don’t function the way they did in the garden. We must be cautious to give our bodies what they need, B12 for example, and not kill more than is necessary to cover our fallen condition. Also, Sikhs are not vegan as they eat ghee which is clarified butter.