Reverend George Malkmus on the 100% Raw Diet and Colon Cancer – The Renegade Health Show Episode #441

Tuesday Nov 17 | BY |

Yesterday, we spent the day at Hallelujah Acres in Shelby, NC…

This is a unique and remarkable facility as well as community. It’s a health food store, a cafe (opening in Dec.) and a full auditorium for events and food prep. They’re also building a 300 acre health community right across the street! (Anyone can move in! Click here to check it out… www.villagesofhacres.com)

Today’s show is with Rev. George Malkmus, founder, and he explains his own story as well as the 100% raw food diet.

(I apologize for the quick intro, it was the only way I could get all I wanted into the 10 minute show!)

Your question of the day: Tell us about your 100% raw food experience… good, bad, still on it, fell off the wagon?

If you want to learn more about Hallelujah Acres, please click here: www.HAcres.com

1. sarah says:

I have been 100% raw for 15 days now ( was about 70% before hand)but have managed to put on about 4 pounds!! I have been experiencing sugar cravings and so eating quite a bit of dried fruit along with nuts. Any suggestions on how to deal with these cravings and ditch this extra weight would be great!!

2. Valerie says:

I thought it was a great show today.
    Rev. Malkmus is very inspiring and realistic in his philosophy on the raw food diet.
    Not everyone can do 100% and they shouldn’t be made to feel that they’re are “less than” or somehow not on a high enough level because of it.

Great job today!
    Thanks for sharing this interview.

God bless

3. ODELLA F RICH says:

I enjoyed your interview with Rev. Malkmus very much – I have been on the Hallelujah Diet for over 8 years – I have lost a total of 60 pounds – I was a Type 2 diabetic for 10 years – finally I just wanted to take control of my live and now I am not diabetic any more – the family doctor is amazed – I tell my story any where I go – I have their cook book – I sit in on some of their Web classes -I have been a follower of his for many years – I really believe in the diet and changing our eating habits. I am on no medications at the present time – I am 73 years old and rarely have to take anything for pain – it is just wonderful – I enjoy your videos each time – keep up the good work – May God bless you.

4. Quinny says:

At this moment, I’m on the 80/10/10 diet, which is 100% raw. This is the only raw diet that I can gain weight from, which is good for me. I’m sticking with it!!

5. Roberta says:

My first 5 months raw was 100% and I had a difficult detox the first month. I also lost weight rapidly but I needed to. Once my body adapted, it was immense clarity and a feeling of enlightenment! But as time passed I got lazy and bored, not being creative enough and being the only one in the house willing to eat this lifestyle, and found my 100 went to 90 went yo 80 and even now 70 or so. Kevin, you have said it before – the cooked foods and cheeses are addictive and having a little is impossible for me. My weight loss has stopped after 35 lbs off, even though I can stand to lose 20 more. But on the plus side, my cholesterol dropped over 75 points and my last colon screening was normal after having something there 4 years ago and with a family history similar to the Rev.

Thank you for this interview!

6. Dawni says:

Awesome Interview Kevin. What a love this guy! His compassion for himself and for others. Also, loved learning about the results he gained from resistance training. He seems happy.

He is no doubt helping many, many people and that’s what it is about.

Nice questions on your part, Kevin.

Listen, I make microchanges in my diet on a regular basis. I am getting so much more connected with my the needs of my individual organs, my appetite, my emotions, my thirst, the fluids in my body, what goes in what goes out, what I feel flowing inside and out.

I have loved being in the EXPERIMENTAL RAW mode. I have lots of information about works and am now discovering what is sustainable for me. I love living on green juices, however can seem to do sustained creative work in that mode. So, alas, I must chew on some of the grounding foods.

Currently experimenting with fats. I have let go of daily avocados and now concentrate on flax oil. Still love coconut oil but haven’t used it much lately.

Resonance Repatterning work is supported by daily ingestion of flax lignans – so I’m taking in the actual oil daily now, as opposed to the powered lignans to see if the delivery makes a difference in holder the higher frequency states of consciousness.

Next year, I am going to run a series of lab tests to get a new baseline and then will go from there.

Dawni

7. Muriel says:

I totally agree with Reverend George Malkmus regarding approximately 15/20% of my diet being cooked foods such as steamed parsnip, carrots, sweet potatoes, turnips, and occasionally steamed kale and spinach.
    Also eat rice pasta and a couple of slices of sprouted whole grain and seed bread daily.
    I start the day with a smoothie, with raw veggies and fruit and hemp oil.
    I plan on investing in a juicer as soon as i can afford a good one.
    Also participate in 2 yoga classes weekly and l session of weight bearing exercises.
    Feel great, there is something to the old saying “God Helps those who help themselves”.

8. Dale says:

I am basicly following the H. Acres life style. I am now at about 90% raw but find it hard to good all raw because of social engagements and requirements of my vocation. (I am a pastor in the United Methodist Church.) My health is excellent and I have not been sick enough to go to a doctor in over 10 years, even though I visit with very sick people every week. I will probably go all raw after I retire but that will be at least 15 more years.

9. Nodari says:

Kev,
    this is really a great interview. I stay mostly raw. But sometimes if i ran out of food, i add some cooked rice (in minor amounts) But generally what reverend said makes lot of sense. 100% is ideal and is possible, but not always. Its better to sometimes add a bit of cooked carbs vs. adding a hamburger. Plus there are ways to trick your body into not reacting to cooked as bad as it usually would.

10. Sheryl says:

That was a great one – I was 100% Raw/Vegan f/ 4yrs but always struggling with trying to find food I could eat – everything to spicy and salty. So I went 100$ Fruitatarian only Fruit & Nuts for a year. I lost down to 103lbs. Same thing as him – my family said you got to gain weight. So I added cooked food like steamed veggies, bread, soups – all vegan. I have gotten back now to 125lbs look great. But now I eat Fruit & Nuts for a few days and then eat a salad or something cooked. I want to get back to 100% I just need some good tasting food. I found only the fruit recipes worth eating. My religious beliefs we do not eat garlic or onions (impure foods) and it seemed to be in everything. Got any ideas – I believe the Raw movement needs some revaping. To many powders & suppliments.

11. E.A.Reed says:

The 100% raw lifestyle has been positively amazing for me. I truly am a cooked food addict, so stay well away from it, as any addict should stay away from their vice. In my case, success came when I discovered fitday.com. It’s this awesome, FREE website that allows the user to plug in their daily food intake and it spits out VERY detailed data about nutrition, calories and the like based upon one’s weight goal. Of course, that weight goal can mean maintaining, as well. It even has a customizable setting, so the user can log more unusual foods, like personal supplements and any packaged raw food one might find. For those finding it difficult to gauge what you’re eating, whether for calories or nutrition, I highly recommend fitday.com. It’s simple, free, makes maintaining 100% raw much easier and has been super educational for me. Be well. -e

12. Toni Kaste says:

Raw food can be VERY healing but so can macrobiotics, much of macrobiotic recipes are cooked. I like the idea of mostly raw then a small amount of cooked food. So I LOVE Hallelujah Acres’ plan. I have researched many options…but I think it is necessary for each person to find what makes them feel their best and get the best blood work/health.

For me I found through allergy testing that I am allergic to many foods. Wheat,gluten dairy eggs as well as many veggies and fruits! are among my allergens/intolerances.

I have lost an incredible amoung of weight eating mostly raw with some cooked foods. I think the key is to remove the foods you are allergic to and stop the inflammation! Good Luck to everyone and Feel GREAT!

13. Barbara says:

Been 100% raw for 8 months. Spent 3 weeks at Hippocrates Health Institute in West Palm Beach Florida, which I can’t recommend strongly enough to anyone interested in really learning the scientific and practical aspects of eating raw. I am hoping that there will be an interview with Brian Clement and Anna Marie Clement, who are the directors there. You really can’t discuss raw food in any meaningful way without having their input of years and years of scientific research.

14. Koa Sky says:

I wonder if the good Reverend tried superfoods like spirulina, chlorella, bee pollen, etc before going back to the cooked foods. I love being 99% raw and the (spiritual) clarity I get. The hardest part is living in a world of brain foggy folks. Ever evolving, I’m close to Blendtec-ing everything, preparing myself to move on to green juicing.

15. Rita says:

Hi,
    I loved you interview with Rev. Malkmus. I know a family who have been on this diet for over 10 years–all of them Mom, Dad and 2 children. They taught me how to do this too. I did it for about 5 years until i developed allergies from the juice and a gall bladder problem as well. It seems you can not follow any of these raw diets too strickly. Everyone is different and at different stages of their lives. Nutritional needs vary from person to person. Doing with the aid of a health practioner is always helpful.

Thank you Kevub for providing the information about health practioner. It was the year 2000 when I started raw foods I wish I had the info that is out now.

16. Wonda says:

Wonderful interview! Thanks guys.

I’ve been experimenting with different lifestyle plans, i.e. high fat raw,80/10/10, 100% raw, etc. So far I’ve found that a 90% low fat raw diet works best for me. But I think everyone is different and what works for one person may not necessarily work for another. I have been a vegetarian for six years before becoming a vegan 6 years ago. I’ve lost over 40 lbs since then, and I feel better than ever. I may or may not go 100% raw…I am ever learning and experimenting.

God wants us to be happy and healthy. He says, “I want you to prosper and be in health.” 3 John 2.

17. crow says:

I am pretty much a raw foodie, but I do eat cooked food. Especially in the winter when it is cold. A nice warm vegetable soup hits the spot.

18. Betty Jane says:

I find that raw fruits and vegetables (as much as possible) are key to my overall health and well-being. However, it’s very hard to stick with 100%. I have a green smoothie every morning. I shoot for at least one other raw meal. I don’t stress over having one hot meal a day 🙂

But still… I know raw is the better way to be.

19. Linda says:

Hello Kevin and Anne Marie, I live in North Carolina. I was happy to see your interview with George Malkmus. WOW! I would love to meet you guys! Are you going to be in Asheville for the Raw Food Meet-Up? Let me know, I will plan to go and meet-up with ya all. AWESOME Shows! Sending you Peace and Raw Energy your way, http://www.chooselivefood.com Linda

20. James says:

Great show today!

Am mostly raw myself ( at least moving in that direction)

Was quite interested in what he said about juicing.
    I do a lot of Green smoothies.
    Was wondering if juicing would be a better , healthier way to go than blending.

Any comments Kevin ?

Thanks

James

21. Jackie says:

Dr. Malkmus speaks the truth!I have seen and heard him speak twice when he lectured in
    southern Florida several years ago.
    Like the Dr.,I also believe the poisons that our bodies can not digest are in our processed foods!I’ll never forget some of his comments,one of them being:”Once you leave the Produce Department,you are headed for health problems”. That statement has been proven true over and over again.I do eat mostly cooked foods, but I avoid dairy meaning,(cheese,milk,and eggs),and of course all animal foods of any kind.I used to juice…but it is a lot of work . If I were sick and wanted a quick cure,I would definitely juice! Lose weight..get healthy !
    Vegans never get sick!It’s a cancer cure!!!

22. Russ says:

Thank you sooooo much for this interview! I love Rev George Malkmus. just common sence

23. Chuck says:

My wife, Katy, and I slowly transition to a mostly raw diet over the past year. This worked well for us. I do not think we will ever be 100% raw, but are working to increase the ratio of wild foods into the 80-90% of what has become the raw portion of our diet.

24. DEBORAH says:

I have added cooked foods back in my diet. I was so elated to hear Dr. Malkmus’ interview because I was one of those cheats. And, I cheated in the worse way. However, when I added, to my diet, cooked squash, some grain, etc., I actually crave more raw foods as oppose to sweets, and other bad carbs. For me, it is about the balance. With mostly raw, and small amounts of cooked foods, I am more balanced and I have far fewer cravings.

25. Chelly says:

I started off with the H acres diet 5 years ago, now I am 100% raw and I don’t cheat at all, I have no desire for cooked food. The raw diet is great and doable but it does require some creativity in the kitchen and a certain mindset. I have lost 40 lbs., size 16-18 to a size 6, I drink more than half my weight in water daily and eat to live, I don’t live to eat. I noticed I would over eat even with eating 20% cooked and would feel bloated and be constipated the next day if I did not have a salad before my meal. Juicing seemed to be wasting the pulp and juicing was a chore for the whole family. I have green drinks daily using the Vita Mix if you need one call me http://www.no-bonez.blogspot.com. My children and I don’t get sick and we have lots of energy. My husband was 500 lbs. no health issues, it took me 4 years to get him to give up meat, now he eats 99% raw and is losing weight, working out, running to work, no longer sleeping with his CPAP machine and we no longer argue about what we are eating for dinner, now he makes requests for things like raw lasagna. God is Good, his timing is perfect. I was not easy on my husband, I nagged him until he changed, sometimes that is necessary. I encourage all those who have overweight relatives to be real with them but offer solutions and help. I tried to educate my husband the best I could but he had to begin to want it for himself and then finally he decided to give up meat for just one year, well in January it will be two years. Our health is not easy to come by, and addictions are not easy to detach ourselves from, I pray for those caught in the struggle and just don’t know what to do. Thank you Kevin and Ann Marie for what you do. I’m so happy to see you interview Dr./Rev. Malkmus I respect him and what he is doing, I love the Lord!
    Chelly
    “In all thy getting Get Understanding”

26. Sue says:

In 1996, my husband and I watched Rev. Malkmus’s video “You don’t have to be sick” (or something like that.) I have always been on a healthy food path, but my husband had various aches and pains and took 800mg of ibuprofen four times a day (it’s only supposed to be 3), which messed up his stomach, so he had to take Zantac. After watching the video, he figured he could try anything for 2 weeks, so we went on it. After 2 days he didn’t need the Zantac, and after a week, he didn’t need the pain meds!

So we were sold. Now, I have to say, i was really surprised. We were living in Alaska at the time, where he was a commercial fisherman, and he was into the hunting/fishing lifestyle. Shooting, reloading, all that stuff. So I was sure shocked when he said “I think we should try this.”

As the years have passed, we have had various levels of compliance, but when the pain comes back, the juicer gets running. We have pretty well settled in to where we eat mostly raw, but still have fish about twice a week.

It works for us!

Blessings!

27. Marie1225 says:

Hi Kevin,

My friend Dionne told me about the Hallelujah diet after I went raw vegan this summer. Honestly, without trying, I guess that this is pretty much what I do, mostly raw with a little bit cooked. I don’t yet have a juicer though, which I’d really like to attain.

I just got a food processor, and that was only because it was free. I don’t even have a Vitamix yet, but one day 🙂 Do you and Annmarie have a Champion juicer or another kind? Can you recommend a less expensive one? One day I’d like a dehydrator too, ahh the raw food toys.

Thanks and God Bless!

28. Kari says:

I’ve found that when I’m 100% raw and then inevitably eat a cooked meal for social reasons or because there’s nothing else around I feel like I’ve been hit by a truck. So, in order to lead a normal life I eat a little cooked food every once in a while so that I’m not so pure and delicate.

I agree with the reverend that juices are the best part of a raw diet. If I drink juice twice a day I find that I don’t crave junk and my skin is perfect and my health is wonderful. Juice is awesome.

29. Liliane says:

Great show, very inspiring. I have only been 100% raw short term in the past. The longest was two weeks. I still have some days that I eat 100% raw but mostly I would say I eat around 75-85% raw. I am mostly high raw vegan. I don’t feel as good if I eat a higher amount of cooked food. I think it’s a good thing, as high raw is the best.I have lost ten pounds so far since going high raw. I may someday go all or almost all raw. Right now I help my elderly father a few times a week, which includes giving him lunch. We sometimes have a salad and flax crackers but will also have soup and other cooked items. He is on the SAD died so, at least it’s healthier than he normally eats ( he’s 95 ).

30. weezie says:

Oh man, this was a great interview! I think I really like the Docs philosophy….I’ve been trying to be 100% raw, but then I find I eat too many nuts and avos, so then I’ve incorporated a little cooked food, but then feel guilty about not being 100% raw etc….

Definitely still figuring out what works well for me, though I do feel better on the low-fat, high-raw, some cooked foods route. Would LOVE to start juicing as soon as I can afford a good juicer!

awesome show Kev, thank you for it!!

31. Tiff says:

LOL I’ve been 100% for about a week now so I haven’t fallen off any wagon yet. I don’t feel much different so far, maybe since I was coming from being a sugar free cooked vegan and have gone thru a lot of detox getting to that point. I’m doing the 30 day challenge just to see, but it’s working for me…I like it so far.

32. Heyward says:

“Added 15% cooked” Yes! Thank you!

“I was encouraged to do weight resistant exercises…” THANK YOU THANK YOU

@James
    “Was wondering if juicing would be a better , healthier way to go than blending.”

Think more inclusively! Rather than “either/or”

think

“this and THIS!”

Have a juice in the morning and then a green smoothie in the afternoon! As far as starting the day goes, nothing makes me go “wow!” faster than a fresh-squeezed green juice with lemon. Juice is very powerful, affects you much faster than a blended smoothie because there’s no fiber. Because there’s no fiber, I make sure I eat a little something (couple slices of Ezekial bread) when I have a juice, to make sure I don’t experience detox lethrgy.

33. Jackie says:

Website for Dr. Malkmus is http://www.hacres.com
    He also has a great book, full of recipes and true stories of recovery to perfect health .
    Title ~ ” God Way to Ultimate Health “

34. Monica says:

I have tried the raw food diet and failed completely, it is very hard to do this diet when poor. I have asked you all before how does one do it when immersed in poverty. I wish you guys would come into our neighborhoods and preach this stuff. Why does this stuff always get to rich? You both have no idea what it is to be poor, and now try to be poor and raw. I am curious, is it possible? The energy of poverty is heavy, and dark. Our battles go back, way back and it’s not just with food. I think you get what I am saying. Please bring this nice preacher to the churches in our poor neighborhoods, set up programs about nutrition to these other preachers who serve the community pork and canned food, to communities that suffer diabetes, heart disease, arthritis, die from cancers, where there little babies have asthma. Come to poverty’s hell, a place you guys never seem to go to, come and shed some light in places that really need it. The interview was great. Thank you.

35. Ineke says:

Great show Kevin!! I have seen a couple of copies of his book in our local book store. What a lovely and COMPASSIONATE gentleman. And the most important thing: The man is happy and doesn’t STRESS about it. For me personally his approach works best. I just include raw foods into my diet as much as possible and don’t think about percentages. Since my husband got back from Hippocrates I also drink every morning green juices and yes, every day I feel that I’m inoculating myself with something wonderful. (Thanks BTW for your tips for my daughter last week)

I have to agree with Barbara though that you can’t go home before interviewing Brian and Anna Maria Clement from the Hippocrates health institute. The raw food diet makes sense but they go further and give us the scientific evidence which is so important if you want to make it credible in the allopathic world. Like Rev. Malkmus, they promote the 80%-20% approach, provided you are not sick.

Again, get Brian Clement on your show and the circle is round!!

36. Colleen says:

Wow! Fascinating interview…thank-you! It is always inspiring to hear from someone who is so knowledgeable, passionate and experienced, having walked his talk and shared his methods for healing with so many others. I have never been able to go 100% raw since I love cooked food too much to give it up entirely. But since Jan 2009 I have been transitioning to and happily maintaining 75-80% raw. It has helped me heal from illnesses and I physically have tons more energy and am mentally clearer and more focused now at age 37 than I was at age 25! Thanks for all your great shows and all the work you and Annmarie do to help change the world one show at a time! PS I still very much enjoy watching your fitness shows and incorporate many of your ideas into my routine. Like Reverend George said we were created to move and not just be raw food couch potatos!

37. Abby says:

Great stuff!

38. Jill says:

The interview with Rev.Malkmus was awesome! He seems like a great guy and HA seems like a good program. Just by hearing what he has to say about it.

I am not a raw foodie at all, but juicing sounds pretty good to me! (lol I got thirsty just hearing him talk about the juices)

One more thing, I wasn’t able to find the book he referenced in the video on Amazon.com…I’m not quite sure on how to spell that doctor’s name. Is the book “Raw Food Juices”? because I plugged that into the search and got nothing.

39. Linda says:

I thought this was a great interview.

About the going raw while poor, that IS a tough one. Katrina Blair (www.turtlelakerefuge.com)
    advocates collecting as much raw WILD foods as you can, and they are free. She also teaches about drying wild green foods (not even in a dehydrator if you cannot afford one)then crushing this into a powder to use when you can’t find the weeds fresh. It is the ultimate superfood powder and it is free. You do have to work at it though. Sprouts are pretty cheap to grow, and you really don’t need any fancy equipment, so there are SOME things you can do. I went to a class last week, and the teacher said he went around in the suburbs and just walked up to the doors of people who had fruit trees and asked if he could pick some fruit. He said every one of them he asked said yes. He got a LOT of pears and apples.
    If you can find ANY spot to plant a little garden try that.
    But, it does seem like the raw food diet CAN be expensive! So, good luck to you!

40. Debra says:

Never tried 100% raw and don’t want too. I am having so much trouble figuring out what to make for lunch each day I don’t need the pressure.

It’s nice to see a Christian raw foodist. I feel like the raw food world is awash in new age spirituality to the point where people assume everyone is into that stuff.

Anyway great to see the interview and get to know a little more about Dr. Malkmus.

41. Elaine says:

Monica, I know how hard it is to buy good fresh food when you are poor. I was on the govt. WIC program (women, infants, children) which gave grocery stamps for certain food items, mainly dairy. When my son was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes it was very hard to afford the diet they told us to give him (which was still bad), but we struggled through. It wasn’t until he discovered the 80/10/10 diet that he was able to lower his insulin from about 100 units to 20 units per shot! We are about 75% raw and the rest about the same as the Halleluhah diet and we just WANT to go more raw every year, but aren’t rushing ourselves, just enjoying taking it slow as we dislike the old foods more and more. You spend more on the good produce but you come out ahead when you don’t buy the SAD foods.

42. Jesse says:

I leaped in to 100% raw end of last winter(about feb)I’v had no cooked food then the other day i wanted tosee how It would make me feel, and well you dont know how good you feel untill you feel less.(vise-versa) I ate a Ezeikel tortilla and I felt less aware after and just didnt feel like eating another bite, but with raw foods I always want more because thats what it uses. i tryed a couple bake potatoes baked at very low temp for a few hrs and it just didnt seem like food that would make me thrive, it made me feel groggy and less clear headed, liked phased, so strange like a slight daze(is the world dazed and confused baking everything(themselves)? that what my body told me after being raw for 3 seasons. I dont feel Ill ever NEED to eat ANYTHING cooked again. Being 100% raw and 100% physically and mentally active is being 100% healthy. Whats a SAD diet about 5% raw?

43. Jesse says:

Yes! I read the other post and many claim they feel less foggy the more raw they are(eat). I believe food has a consious and a memory and information incorporated with the vitamins minerals nutrients…ect
    When the food we eat loses its consious, memory, information, vitamins minerals, nurients so do we! Cooked food is not essental at all!(please prove me wrong jessep86@tmail.com) Not essental at all, besides maybe to tradition. But its a tradition also of war, not being raw. I thank our creator of every thing this grace has shined down upon i and so many others and this “Raw Revolution” is only part of a way bigger revolution. Goodbye industrialization.

44. Yoshi Nakayama says:

I have been experimenting amount of RAW food in my diet and I have found that too high % of RAW food makes constipation in my body. It must be harder for my body to digest RAW food. I get more often and smooth bowel movement when I mix RAW and COOKED food in a balanced portion. I do not know exactly how much is the balance yet. I am still in a process to find out the optimal ratio.

45. Sharon says:

Fantastic interview! I’ve been just about every percentage of raw possible, LOL! I prefer 80/10/10 over everything but living where I do it’s next to impossible in the winter since our produce is horrible and old and I need to use some superfoods to supplement and sometimes a bit of cooked food. It sounds like I need to replace my juicer. I mainly use my Vitamix for most meals and have a huge green salad for dinner.

I totally agree about detoxing too quickly. I’m sure it ruined my health when too many toxins dumped out too quickly–faster than my damaged liver could eliminate them. I don’t think going 100% raw cold turkey is a great idea unless you’re really, really ill.

I hope you recorded more with him! I downloaded one of the best sources of information about water from the HA site a few years ago. Very well researched—and yes, please interview Brian Clement!

46. Suniiti says:

Great interview. I have been Vegan nearly 30 years, then I was 100% raw/living foods for 4 years, then slowly added the occasional cooked grain of steamed veggie 1-2 times weekly, miso soup sometimes over the last 2 years. The key for me is keep juices going in (I have liver disease), my energy is markedly different when I have my daily 500ml veggie juice.
    Keeping my greens intake high is also key to not getting the cravings ie green juices, green smoothies, salads etc.
    Having the occasional cooked item with some raw food and sprouts works well and keeps me more sociable with my family. Going weeks at 100% raw and living foods does however give me that familiar raw energy lift.

47. Makes me think harder still about adding more and more raw food in my diet. My father died at age 45 of colon cancer and i still wonder whether more could have been done for him. He did see a dietician, but was told he had a healthy diet(did not follow a raw food diet) Hopefully more dieticians and doctors will get to see how important raw food is, and find out more about it, just like myself!

48. Scott says:

Hey Kevin,
    We loved having you at Hallelujah Acres (we’ll post our interview with you soon). May the Kale Whale carry you safely across the country to share the message of health and healing. We look forward to meeting up with you again! Our kids say “hello”. 🙂

49. Pamela says:

My husband and I are currently on about 80% raw, green smoothies in the morning, nutrition shakes (homemade Brendan Brazier style) after heavy workouts, some steamed vegies, rice and sweet potatoes, minimal sweets (even those raw), and once or twice a month a piece of cooked fish. Our bodies have cravings when we eat mostly raw; when we follow the craving and eat what we think we are desiring, our bodies tell us whether that was a “need” or a “want”! Sometimes we feel more grounded and stronger after a bowl of rice and vegies (but weaker after two bowls). It’s about listening to our bodies. We are both in our 50’s and enjoy feeling and looking better, having dropped 35+ pounds each and are noticing less stiffness, smoother skin, no red blotches on the skin, better numbers in cholesterol, etc.

50. Rev John says:

Hey Kevin—In 1992 I had been on the couch and unable to work for about 3 years, because of a rare arthritis conition. I was watching the 700 club on tv and Rev Malkmus told about his HA diet. I was inspired to try it, and within 3 days, my symtems were gone and in 2 weeks I was working again.I stayed a raw vegetarian for about 8 years, then started getting some really strange symtems, this went on for a couple of months, until I found out that you need some animal protien to function. I now include small amounts of cheese, a few eggs a weeks, and fish in my diet. I also do juice fasting 4 times a years. 100% raw is great for healing, but you still need a little animal protien, at least for me—Rev John

51. Irlanda Borquez says:

Hi Kevin, I began with a 100% diet and it worked for a while, but I’m pretty active, you know when I see you it’s like I’m seeing myself, I just can’t stop, so it’s hard for me to have enough calories for the day and I began to experience digestive issues so know I eat some cooked food, not everyday but sometimes and I’m doing better know, but I think the secret (at least for me) is to drink at least two green smoothies a day, with chia seeds of course.

52. Paula Drake says:

I have been eating probably 95 % raw since October 1st and I am so excited. I have lost 30 pounds! I had been trying for 4 years to loos weight and couldn’t loose one pound on the sad diet. I am diabettic my sugar was 250-300 without meds (I refused them because they made me feel even worse.) now my sugar is in the 70-80 range all the time. I feel so good and can’t wait to get the rest of my extra pounds off. I am not changing from this method of eating. My husband Lee has been trying to get me to eat this way for 2 years!! I wish I had listened

53. Great interview!! I got to hear Dr. George speak in January 2001. In the audience there must have been 600 to 700 people. The testimonies that came from the audience were incredible! People overcoming all types of cancers, diabetes, heart disease and weight loss of 50 lbs or more. In fact, there was a woman sitting next to me who lost over 100 lbs on the Hallelujah Diet.

This diet helped me heal from colon and prostate cancer, migraine headaches, sinus issues, other aliments plus I lost 65 lbs. He inspired me so much that I became a Hallelujah Acres Health Minister and went on to receive my doctorate as a Naturopathic Physician and Master Herbalist. And I am currently working in the South Florida area with my own radio program on Grace FM.

I am about 90 to 95% raw. And I agree with Dr. George that juicing is the key to the diet. And it needs to be with a proper juice extractor(like a Champion or Green Star) and not a blender.

George Malkmus is such an inspiration to me and others. Look how great he looks at 75 years young. And how active and vital he maintains his life. KEEP GOING STRONG BROTHER GEORGE!!!!!

54. Jill says:

Hi again all, I think that I’ve found the book…it is now called Fresh Vegetable And Fruit Juices…I hope this is the right book and I’m not leading anyone astray 🙂

55. Judy Cummings says:

Wonderful interview!! Finally – someone who is realistic and understands – and yet, gets results. I’ve been 90% raw for six months and have not experienced rapid weight loss (15 lbs in 6 friggin months!) – nor great detoxing. However, the biggest thing I’ve noticed is that my body has adjusted to this way of life and when I cheat – it reacts severely. Being Italian, last week I ate a small piece of Italian sausage, and it almost made me vomit. I got very sick to my stomach and had to quickly juice up some carrots to get rid of the reaction. Convinced me that my body likes the new way of eating!!

56. Sandi says:

Great interview, Kev, I lived in Hendersonville, North Carolina for a few years and went to Hallelujah Acres (an hour away) for classes and then the Health Minister Class in 2007. I love that place. In 6 weeks I lost 27 lbs. I had been having a lot of pain and it was gone in 4 days after starting the juicing, Barley Max, smoothies and salads. Now I have a small health food store in California and talk about HA to all my customers. Since I found you and Annemarie, have been telling them to check out your site also. For Monica who talks about being poor, you brought tears to my eyes. Here in Santa Maria you can go and get a sack of organic produce once a week and also they have a lot of produce stands and veg are not expensive. Try the thrift stores for juicers and blenders. I does depend on where you live in this coutry as to the availability of produce. I have a friend in a remote area of North Dakota who wanted to do the HA diet, but could not find good produce or a lot of the ingredients. It would be a challenge. Keep up the good work.. I enjoy your program and I like Annemarie’s coconut body oil. Can’t wait for it to be wholesale so I can sell it. I have a couple customers interested in Coconut Body oil already. Thanks.. Sandi

57. vickie says:

I have had a hard time with the raw diet-probably started too fast. Definitely experienced detox symptoms (I didn’t know that was what was happening until I ran into your show). Finally have worked out a menu that starts my day with a green smoothie for breakfast, another for lunch then a cooked, vegetarian dinner. Now working much better-but not loosing weight! I am hoping to work through the challenges of raw food as it doesn’t seem I’ve had any of the marvelous results other people talk about, that are real motivators. We will see.

58. Sheilah Renaud says:

I love your streaming videos but lately the window that would normally have the video is blank with a small box on the upper left containing in it a tiny red box, a teeny green circle and a very tiny blue triangle….and at the bottom left of the whole page it says “Done, but with errors on page”…Could you email me at shenaud27@yahoo.com to let me know if others are having this problem or if you can adjust something on your end???….no other site is giving me this problem….LOVE YOUR SHOW!!!! Sheilah Renaud

59. ruthie says:

Great, thankyou resonated with most of what he shared, but I dont follow the logic of how cooking food becomes a cure all for depleted soils? as we are still utalising the same food, but heating it, its still grown in depleted soils? x

60. Leam says:

Really great interview ~ I didn’t want it to end. I’m sure he has so much to share.

My heart goes out to you, Monica. We struggle financially as well and I don’t know sometimes how I’m able to keep fresh, vibrant food in the house. Growing what one can, even in limited space, is not too difficult. Seeds are not too expensive, especially greens – sow them into containers if you have limited space. Check with grocery stores for produce that may be a little banged up but still perfectly eatable – you might be able to get a boxful for a deal. One does not necessarily need a juicer, Vitamixer, superfood powders, or supplements to be/eat healthy. Take care.

61. John says:

I’ve never been 100% raw other than for short periods but I was 90-95% raw for about 5-6 months last year and it wasn’t bad, other than losing a little more weight than I wanted. I have gone back to eating more cooked foods now but want to get back to more raw again. I need to find the right balance for me. I think around 75% raw is a pretty good percentage for me though.

62. I feel like my body is calling for 100% raw vegan food, but I am still learning how to do it right way ( I am 90-95% right now). I am gaining extra weight from any cooked food. I need to lose extra 20 pounds, I am 150 right now, and it’s too much of weight for me to carry around.
    The interview was great in this episode, but I personally think that to be 100% raw is a very good goal for any person to go to.

63. Veronika says:

I really enjoyed this interview with Rev. George Malkmus. I usually do a day or two of 100% raw, and then the rest of the week I eat about 70/30, because I go out with my boyfriend to a restaurant that serves cooked food. I always feel better when I eat 100% raw though. I suppose I would have to try it for a few weeks or months to really know what it does to my body. The only animal products I eat are occasional eggs (no milk products).

My boyfriend on the other hand, went 100% raw for several weeks and felt (and looked) awful. However, I don’t think he really ate enough dense food or variety. He wasn’t getting enough calories either b/c he said he was always hungry. I believe everyone’s body type is different, and we need to eat intuitively. But in general, I believe eating a high raw diet will make you healthier (if you do it right – variety to get all your nutrients is the key!).

64. What do you mean by 15% cooked? Is that weight based, volume, calories?

65. Barbara says:

Loved this interview with Rev. Malkmus and like Leam did not want it to end. Please post more if you have adequate additional footage. He is an inspiration.

66. Kathleen says:

I tried the HA diet in 1993 and got deathly ill, because I didn’t know I was gluten intolerant. Dr. Malkmus tried to tell me that Barley Green has no gluten, but my body knew otherwise. I cut out gluten in all forms and got better but never tried raw again until 5 months ago. Now I am 100% raw and gluten free and feel great. Wish I had known about the gluten then….my life would be different now. I am one who also doesn’t do well with the juices, too much sugar. I much prefer green smoothies. Barley Green and juicing makes the HA diet more expensive than other types of raw diets, and also if you only have barley green and salad until supper then a mostly cooked meal, you will actually end up getting the majority of your calories from cooked food. For many people that might be fine, but for someone like me who was really sick, that won’t work.

In the interest of full disclosure, Dr. Malkmus ought to tell people he never had a biopsy for colon cancer. He very well may have had it, but it was never confirmed.

Regardless, he has done a lot of good, and it is nice to hear a Christian voice in the largely New Age raw food world.

67. Brenon says:

I’ve been 100% raw for almost 8 years. It saved my life and gave me great mental clarity and much better memory, as well as ending other symptoms. Whenever I cheated for social reasons I felt lousy for a day or two, so never do it anymore. But I’ve learned that 100% just doesn’t work for most people, so I just tell them to go slow in adding whatever raw they can to their diet. Follow your own path which for some people might include no raw food. (Met someone once who was extremely allergic to anything raw). I think it’s also very important to make whatever we eat taste good using sweetener, spices, etc. If we don’t enjoy our food, it adds stress to our life which is detrimental to health.

68. Sophia says:

He’s very insightful and I learned a lot!

69. FeralKevin says:

Humans have had fire since before we were human. Chinese medicine largely frowns on raw foods. Hundreds of thousands of traditional cultures throughout ALL of human history long before have eat cooked food. Humans are also diverse and adaptable and some people are able to thrive on all raw food. I’m personally bored by hearing the all raw or not debate.

70. Dear Kevin –

Fantastic interview! What an inspiring man he is! Thank you for this one!

When I first got into raw, I was a cooked vegan. During my first year, I transitioned to raw by gradually ramping up my percentage. Towards the end, I was around 75%. This was good. My body responded well – lost some weight, arthritis went away, acne went away… little things.

During my second year, I decided to ramp it up even more and stayed 95-100% for a while. YIKES! I lost even more weight and was able to repair the nerve damage done in my leg from a car accident, to name a couple of things. What I -didn’t- anticipate was the INTENSE emotional and spiritual detox. Holy maloney! I would find myself feeling like I was coming apart, oscillating between emotions, and feeling like I just couldn’t move through the days well. I spoke to a friend about this and she suggested that maybe I was detoxing too fast, faster than my comfort level. Interestingly, I began adding back baked sweet potatoes, quinoa, amaranth, and cooked vegan soups and I started feeler saner. I still keep a high raw diet (85-90%), but also incorporate a lot of superherbs and superfoods. I’m still detoxing, but it feels… safer, if you know what I mean.

In my practice, I don’t advocate for 100% raw diet for the long-term. It’s good for clearing and cleaning – if you can make the physical and emotional space for it – but I do agree with the Rev: there are too many other factors in our society now that play into a decision to NOT do 100%.

P.S. My definition of percentages is defined as -caloric- intake. I know that this talk of percentages is a confusing topic for some.

Take good care…

Lisa Marie Lindenschmidt
    Rite Food and Company

71. Katherine says:

LOVE THIS SHOW TODAY! We all have different stories, but this one fits me best. I have been struggling to be raw for the last 5 years. Ive been about 95% at most, but lately have settled into about 60% raw, with the rest cooked healthy foods. I too believe that some cooked food is not only physically healthy, but very emotionally and spiritually nourishing. There was a time I wouldnt take communion because it was cooked wheat. I look back and cringe…
    Yoga teaches that the mind is the charioteer of the body. What we believe about what we are doing is very important.
    Now I do a huge raw salad every day at lunch and I am growing and juicing wheatgrass and sunflower sprouts.
    I think the marriage of healthy cooked Ayurvedic herbs and food, alongside the super raw foods is terrific.
    Thank you for this interview Kevin!
    Peace and energy, Katie Kegg

72. Joan says:

I have done 100% raw for short periods but seem to do better on “mostly” raw…don’t know the percentage – I do fresh fruit and green smoothie in the morning – large salad at lunch which includes raw veggies, chick peas (slow cooked), sunflower seeds and avacado. In the evening it is more fresh fruit or smoothie. My husband does better with brown rice and beans for his main meal…and I occasionally eat that too. I prefer green smoothies during the week as they are quicker and do juicing on the weekend when I have more time – I also save the pulp (from the weekend juicing) and make non-gluten whole grain muffins, instead of yeast bread for my husband, who is gluten intolerant. You can sign up at hacres.com for their weekly email newsletter which includes health tips, recipes, and testimonials – quite interesting, and free!

73. Tyra McMahon says:

I wish you would of asked him what he thought about green smoothies compared to juicing?

74. connie says:

I was impressed that you had George Malkus on your show today, and glad to see that so many of your viewers liked him too. It is rare to find a raw-foodist with such clear biblical standards; I hope you feature him or others from Halleluyah Acres more often. The raw food movement is full of people with unbiblical beliefs so it is necessary to carefully separate their spiritual beliefs from the excellent information they provide about raw food (if you choose to walk among them at all). One of the things I really like about you guys, Kevin and Marie, is that you seem open to hearing from the kind of people *we* are more likely to identify with.

I just had a thought. According to Genesis 1:29-30 God gave us seed-bearing herbs and trees for food in the Garden of Eden, but I do not recall Him stating that it had to be eaten raw! I do not recall Him introducing fire to Adam and Eve, either 🙂 so I am sure they did just pluck whatever they wanted whenever they were hungry and ate it raw. (I am not making an argument against a raw diet, just playing devil’s advocate for a moment.) I am looking forward to the Millennial Kingdom when we can return to that mode of living and eating.

Noah, on the other hand, was told after the flood (Genesis 9:2-3) that “every moving thing that lives shall be food for you” (with specific restrictions) along with the green herbs. I doubt they ate the fish and meat raw, and I doubt they ate much flesh in any case–just enough to meet dietary needs that changed because of the flood. (Some of these would be points that Malkus did not get a chance to expound upon in the interview.)

Some friends introduced me to the HA diet a number of years ago when they stayed with us for a few days. That was a real challenge for me and my family–had to go shopping for stuff they could/would eat and work hard on the menu! But I was sufficiently impressed that I tried to make a few adjustments including a change in my breakfast habits, but even just that helped me considerably healthwise. Their advice was to eat a few fruits for breakfast–that’s it–no cereals, no pancakes, no bacon and eggs. It was doable. It was healthy. It was tasty… I did that for years. I need to get back to my “fruit salads”. Thanks for the reminder.

I was glad to hear Malkus’ comments regarding how juices seem to get directly to the blood stream faster. That had never occurred to me. That must be why my Juice Plus works so well–when I have my Juice Plus capsules and a glass or two of water, they must dissolve in the water and go directly to my blood stream, thus giving me that extra percentage of food value! Without all the sugar and salt! And without all the muss and fuss of processing fruits and vegetables!

You can learn more about Juice Plus at my Juice Plus website: http://www.lacelle-solution-juiceplus.com. My testimony regarding changing my diet is in the health section of my main website, at http://www.home-and-school-solutions.com if you are interested.

Thanks for an awesome show!

Connie

75. Laura says:

I’ve gone raw a couple times and have made it each time for about three weeks. At that point I found each time, I become ravenous for red meat.

Usually make the most humane choice available although I would love to give up meat completely. Even eating cooked foods like brown rice or quinoa and beans doesn’t seem to satisfy the craving for meat.

This has been a source of frustration.

76. alice says:

I went 80-100% raw for a while and really struggled to try to stay on that diet. I finally caved after getting so weak that I told my body I was willing to give it whatever it needed. I sat down and had a nice chat with my body. It wanted protein!!! I have read about how Americans eat way too much protein and how we really don’t need that much, so I was going by what raw food experts thought and not listening to my own signals. I now eat complete protein everyday for lunch, rice and beans or quinoa and dal (along with veges) I feel really good, strong and healthy. I think mostly raw is better for me then all raw. Incidentally I tried all the “raw approved” protein stuff hemp etc. I still felt something was missing. Thank God I know how to listen to my body and that I trust my own experience. Also, I started to gain weight during the time I was trying to stay all raw. I think it was because my body was trying to ground itself. I think people need different diets, one size does not fit all. I tend to be too ethereal which means I need protein to stay grounded. If someone else is really grounded and needs to raise their vibration, obviously 100% raw is the highest vibe diet out there. Just my 2 cents!

77. !00% raw too hard and felt guilty when I cheated. So now I eat cooked for one meal a day and that is perfect for me.

78. Karin says:

If I had to put a label on it, I would say I’m a Non-SAD (Non-Standard American Diet) girl. It has been eight months now, I have been mostly raw vegan (which means if I am in a situation occasionally where my only option is cooked vegetarian food, I might eat a little) but I can usually avoid that with some planning. Movies like “Food, Inc.” and “Eating (The Rave Diet)” made me feel great about the change I made and I can honestly say I will never eat meat again as long as I live because the visuals made such a big impact on me. My young children wanted to become vegetarians about a month after I made big changes and they have been vegetarian for about 6 months. They want to be vegans, and while I welcome that, I work full-time and find the biggest challenge in social settings (school, birthday parties, sporting events, non-vegan family members, etc.) While I say they are vegetarians, I keep them away from milk, cheese and soy as much as possible. I told them once they start liking most of the vegan foods I prepare and once they’ve learned enough to know what kinds of foods to eat and what to avoid even when I am not around, they can be vegans. I find that in them eating different than the Standard American Diet, it is helping them to be different which in turn is helping them to be strong and stand up for what they believe is right. Hopefully they can make a positive impact in their generation, one kid at a time.

79. Kim says:

This is one of my favorites so far, I am re-motivated. I am not 100% raw, I am about 75%, working toward 85%. I sometimes get off track. 100% is not my goal, I do two raw-vegan cleanses a year.

80. Joelle says:

For the person with bowel troubles there is a product called the herb cocktail from a Canadian company called Avena, their # is 1-800-207-2239. It cleans out the entire body targeting the colon and works right away and if you use it enough it will clean out your entire colon until it’s as clean as a new born baby. It’s scientifically researched and the ingredients are made with real food: Hibiscus,psyllium husk,peppermint,licorice, cascara sagrada,siberian ginseng and corn silk. It works with the electricity of your body. Even though the instructions say to take 1 tsp. to get results you take two tbs. in the morning with fresh squeezed orange juice and two tbs. in the eve. before bed. In order for it to work the best you must use orange juice. As far as eating cooked food I agree with reverend Malkmus, juicing is the key. The juice will turn the acids of the cooked food alkaline. And the debri that gets left in your colon will become more alkaline preventing diseases. As for me eating 100% raw is the best diet in the whole world and what I intend to get back to. I’ve lasted two months and it was one of the most transforming experiences I’ve had. I lost 50 pounds in two weeks and that is without exercise. That is 50 pounds of toxic fat I’d been carrying around with me forever. Now I am slowly making my way back by eating just salads with Quinoi. Also I never ate garlic or onion before I went raw, as the yoga philosophy permits it, but it’s impossible for me to eat raw without it, and I figure that being raw is way more important. Joelle

81. Very inspiring interview! I keep on telling my friends that food CLEARLY is healing and what you eat influences every function in your body – its is the fuel after all – but most of my friends and family still opt for doctors and popping pills..

I’ve tried going 100% a couple of things, but yeah, then i get sick of it cause i restrict myself of having my fav vegan curry when we go out and feel guilty if i do go for it.. I just reckon its an individual thing, no ones the same so the same things obviously wont work for everyone. And i think its really important just to congratulate yourself taking steps towards a better lifestyle instead of feeling guilty for not going ‘all the way’.

82. Melissa says:

I have been a fan of the raw food diet for about 2 years now and I have tried many times to start being a raw vegan, but I keep getting food poisoning. The first time I tried it, I definitely bred bacteria with my dehydrator because I was dehydrating buckwheat groats, which the recipe said to dehydrate over night. When I woke up in the morning and ate the buckwheat groats, I ended up in the hospital due to a major case of food poisoning which weakened me for the next 3 days. I emailed the raw vegan chef who sold me the dehydrator and she told me that I was supposed to dehydrate the buckwheat groats at a higher temperature (I think 125 degrees?) for half the duration of the recipe and then at the 105 degrees (as the recipe called for). She said that this would hinder the bacteria from breeding. Then when I tried to eat a raw vegan diet the second time, the dense amount of fiber in the kelp noodles (prepared by a certified raw vegan kitchen) gave me diarrhea for 3 days. Now the third time, this time, I drank a can of coconut milk for breakfast (which I know wasn’t raw, but it was the best thing I could find since the store that I shop at has no coconuts) and I ended up vomiting the whole night– I actually don’t know if the culprit was the coconut milk or if it was the almonds that I bought (they tasted a little rancid). Can you please help me? I really want to become a raw vegan, but I don’t want to continue suffering. Thanks.

83. Cynthia says:

This was a highly satisfying interview and one that I will be referring to all of my Christian friends. Our Church has acquired the “30 Days Raw” DVD to show and perhaps to follow up as a small group so this interview is also a great additional, perhaps for some, introductory, information about being ‘living’ vegan. I also appreciate all the wisdom of the people who have responded here. There are a couple of ‘raw Christian blogs’ for people who are interested: mine, of course (although I confess to being only 70-80% raw vegan) at http://blog.rawgenesis.com and Tommie’s at http://www.reallyrawfood.com/ and Paul Nison’s. I’m sure there are others but they don’t come to mind right now. God bless, Cynthia

84. Maia Marie Calloway says:

Does anyone have knowledge of raw food diet and ms?