The 5 Top Reasons Why You’re Still Not Losing Weight – The Renegade Health Show Episode #436

Tuesday Nov 10 | BY |

I know a lot of you have trouble losing weight…

In fact, I think it’s the most frequently asked question we get. Many times, when I’ve dug deeper into what’s going on, I’ve found these 5 factors to be the cause of stalled weight loss.

So listen in and see if any one (or more) of these 5 issues are what is keeping you from losing the weight you want to lose.

Your question of the day: Which one of these sounds more like your reason for now being able to lose weight?

1. Barbara says:

While I do start every day with a green smoothie, regretfully you pegged me with #1) Cheese 🙁 Not large quantities and raw when possible but as you stated having a little makes you crave more. Great food for thought and I’d like to kick the cheese habit.

2. Renee says:

I thought for sure you were going to say alcohol! 🙂

3. Erina says:

Thanks k&ma- I’ve been way off the cheese for many years am raw and thin although I tend to overeat natures goodness(ess) at times. The iPhone is the best it’s the only way I can do anything with my three girls 24/7. Anyways blah blah blah…..
    that Paul nilson is something severely extreme almost militant veryhard to enjoy. You come across really well to your followers – best of luck to you both

4. Sarah Hauch says:

Thanks for the info. Definitely do not eat cheese and eat super duper healthy (I’m a health nut and juicing fanatic). I meditate hours a day so feel pretty confident about eh stress thing…BUT I used to be anorexic and believe that my thyroid is not happy with me. I have to get some tests done to check it’s functioning. What tests would you recommend? And do I need to have my doctor prescribe them?

Thanks,
    Sarah xoxo

5. Nancy Zare says:

You didn’t mention exercise. My experience has shown that I must be honest with my food intake and increase my activity through exercise. The result is weight loss. Slowly I’ve lost more than 25 pounds in this last year. Previously I tried diet alone, exercise alone, and neither produced the results desired. Using workout DVDs (P90, Slim in 6), and switching to a 100% living food plan, the weight has come off.

6. Judy Cummings says:

Yikes! I feel like I just got caught by my mom, doing something I shouldn’t be doing! Cheese! – Just had a big bowl of broccoli with yes, a little Parmesan sprinkled on it. I’m Italian!! (woops, you are too, no excuse). Yes – now I know its the morphine-like stuff in it. OK – its gotta go!! ps – So glad you didn’t mention b-r-e-a-d!

7. Roberta says:

Yup, it’s cheese! Can you see my kitchen through this screen?? I was 100% raw for a long while and have slipped into some bad habits, including cheese. WEight loss has leveled off since the fall off the wagon. Thanks for the frank words- I needed it before the holidays to stay the course of heatlh. You guys are great!

8. Page says:

I don’t eat in the evening (haven’t for years), meditate regularly and also participate in an intense step aerobics class.
    What did happen is I cut out alcohol and all animal products and dropped 10 pounds in no time flat. I’m now trying to keep the calories consistent so that I don’t lose any more weight. Hemp seed in my green smoothies and the occasional avocado seem to be doing the trick.
    I heard the rain in the audio. I’m east of you on the coast of South Carolina. Ida’s been raining here most of the day also.

9. James says:

Guilty of cheese, but not so often. ( but you are right, it does make me want more)

The big weakness is peanut butter.
    Only have one spoon a day, but just can’t seem to get off it. It organic , no salt added.
    Is it all that bad for me ?

10. elle.b says:

Your uncharacteristically austere demeanor in today’s show was HILARIOUS!

“YOU’RE ADDICTED TO CHEESE!!!” Ha ha ha… Somebody needs to make that sound bite into a ring tone…:)

11. sandee says:

Kevin

I do not eat cheese, I do eat when I get up but not always lunch, stress 100% in my life do not know about thyroid working or not I do not lie about what I eat BUT I still do not loose weight. I have been raw for 7 years and have not lost any weight OR Gained any weight. Any other suggestions??????

12. Laura Fox says:

thank god i’m over cheese. the stress factor is interesting and i often don’t eat in the morning. thyroid might be an issue too. lying to myself? maybe a little. 🙂 also lack of exercise which i’m correcting now! my friend robert andres is a trainer and is helping me kick it really hard right now! super fun. i have muscles. getting back in shape. blessings thanks kevin!

13. Dorothy says:

Excellent, excellent show, Kevin. I’m gonna advertise it on my blog, if that’s okay.
    Thank you!

14. Genevieve says:

Thanks for your shows. I dropped 15 pounds in the last 6 months and am now a good weight. I didn’t do it by eliminating cheese though because I do love it and use it, but sparingly. What I did was drop BREAD which I used to start every day with and I now have soaked chia seed, hemp seed, other seeds, coconut milk, chopped fruit for breakfast instead and that keeps me till lunch. I stopped eating between meals and after supper, apart from an apple now and then or some diluted greens juice. Also greatly reduced sugar, rice, grains and I increased exercising, primarily walking, and I think THIS is the number one KEY. You can’t lose weight and keep it off if you are not willing to exercise regularly.

15. Erica says:

I agree with some previous comments- I also thought you were going to say drinking alcohol and not getting enough exercise. A few years back, just taking a walk at a brisk pace for ~45 mins/day helped me lose 10 lbs. I’ve been really happy and comfortable with my weight when I incorporate exercise into my daily routine. For weight loss, it’s especially important to try to do things that keep the heartrate relatively low (~120-140 bpm); this is better for burning fat. 140-160 is better for cardio training, and 160+ is considered anaerobic training, which is used by athletes in non-endurance sports and bodybuilders trying to build muscle. I think the best way to lose weight is by eating a sensible and healthy diet (ideally as raw as possible) and exercising. A good exercise routine would probably consist of both cardio and weight-bearing exercises. Muscle burns fat so the more muscle you have, the more fat you’ll burn. It’s also important to vary your exercise routine, as your body can get used to exercises you do all the time. Therefore, they won’t be as effective as they were when you first started to use them. (If any of this info is wrong, please comment and correct, thanks!)

16. Melissa says:

I eat a lot of dried turkish apricots (maybe 15-20 a day– about 300-400 calories), I think because I am iron deficient and crave the iron. Could the amount of sugar in these dried fruits be why I am not losting weight? (oh, I am also hypothyroid with adrenal fatigue– taking meds and doing green smoothies)

17. Erica says:

Also, I definitely eat a really small breakfast, so I’m gonna try to eat more in the morning and less at night! Thanks for the tip, Kevin!

18. Krina says:

I love cheese. I actually crave it when I run out. Use cheese for snacking all the time. I’m lucky I’m not overweight. Thanks for the show!

19. Brigitte says:

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the tips. I, like Nancy above, also cannot lose weight unless I strictly watch my diet and exercise for an hour a day, 7 days a week. Now I’m really stressed out and my system is out of whack, but even when I was much younger, I had an ultra slow metabolism.

Also, one further point. Testing does not always reveal deficencies in your adrenal or thyroid activity because unless you’re on the verge of a total blowout, you generally fall into a very broad range that covers 95% of the population. Even the appropriate tests for thyroid can show you as “normal”, yet for instance my body temperature is very low which usually indicates some thyroid problems.

20. kate says:

Great tips! I still think far too many raw foodists are on a high-fat diet which is a major contributor, even if they don’t know it!

21. leynasmom says:

All of them! I have gone off of my raw diet lately, and I can really tell with the weight gain and feeling terrible. I really love cheese, and I didn’t know it was addictive!

22. Laura says:

This was good even if I was multi tasking and only half listening.

Question: Why don’t you go out in the rain if the cabin fever gets so bad? I love the rain. I play disc golf in the rain sometimes.:)

23. lmaz says:

GIVE ME SOME GOOD ALTERNATIVES TO CHEESE! We’ve been vegans for 8 years, raw for a year – but waning as energy levels and weight just plummeted. Went back to regular vegan diet and gained weight again… but some energy back. My husband works out A LOT – he used to bench press 380, then became vegetarian and lost a lot of strength – just over 280, and now as vegans, well, going from bad to worse, especially on the raw. We can’t seem to get enough protien, even with tons of nuts (my stomach revolts though). Without grains, we crash. With grains, we blow up. I’m getting really, really discouraged at all this and frankly, right now, we don’t know what to eat! (though any animal products are definately out of the picture. We haven’t eaten meat things in over 18 years!)

24. Jo says:

Kevin,
    This show was great! IT made me LOL:) but seriously, you touched on the “BIG FIVE” that I think most of us know are the problems, but it’s important to hear them over and over again. I think it’s time for me to run to the fridge and get that apple that I don’t have to feel guilty about!!!!

25. Dave says:

Kev,

I could really see myself in the various points in this video. I particulary resonated with two of your points.

1. Cheese/Dairy My own experiences are 100% consistent with the theory that cheese and dairy products make it hard to lose weight. When I weaned myself off dairy not only did I find it easier to keep a stable weight, but when I stopped eating dairy I felt improvement in some mild arthritic symptoms I had in my hands and feet. Arthritis is reversible!!

2. Breakfast Yessir, breakfast is also important. I like that recipe Annmarie shared about 1 or 2 months back about a breakfast mixture that has nuts, fruit and ginger. A great way to give yourself a ton of energy that helps you get through the day, and not be so hungry during the day. A green smoothie is also an awesome way to start the day. (No, I did not mean for that to rhyme..)

David

26. Dina says:

I definitely concur on cheese being super addictive. It was the hardest thing for me to give up years ago. Switching to a high-green diet is what helped me to lose over 115lbs. Also getting my hypothyroid and Candida issue under control naturally. Great show Kevin!

Chef Dina Knight

27. Kathy says:

Eating too late at night, alcohol, yo-yoing between raw and SAD, and nuts are some of my culprits. BUT, on a positive not, I AM eating a whole lot healthier than last year, before I even attempted raw and am also feeling much better.

I do periodically make it a practice to keep a food journal and it’s always revealing. I use caloriecount.about.com as it has a huge database.

28. Have no desire what so ever to eat cheese.
    My main problem is the massive amount of stress in my life. Stress brings anger and mood swings so that part of my lifestyle still working on it.
    I am pretty happy with my weight at 142 pounds and 5ft 11in.
    Still working to get the diet a bit more consistent and healthier. I am committed to being 100% vegan and have been now for 2 years.High Raw the past year.

29. satori says:

Hi Kevin,

I want to know how not to lose weight. I remember you did a video with Robert Cheeke on how to build a body. I however do not eat soy beans and am still looking for a kind of healthy diet that doesn’t make me skinnier.

Right now I think I’m in a bad cycle of eating healthy for a while, get slimmer, became scared of losing weight, and eat some junk food again to keep my weight.

Sorry, i didn’t answer your question at all lol!!

30. #1 Cheese. When i was ‘younger’ (im not really very old at all) i used to put cheese on everything, i loved cheese, and i still do love the flavour, even though i havnt eaten it in years and never crave it or anything.. Well, if theres cheese-cravings out there why not try the the ‘cheezy popcorn’? Didnt Kevin make some with cauliflower and nutritional yeast ++??
    #2 Brekky. Why on earth dont people wanna eat a good brekkie? thats the BEST meal of the day! At night i just wanna go to bed so i can wake up in a couple hours and have brekky!!! haha
    #3 STRESS. Im glad you informed me on that one – i never feel stressed, but my body seems to be cause theres always pressing uniwork to do etc. And most of the time when i do my assignments/exams i seem to eat so so much more.. Flippin need some control.
    #4 Thyroid. def, my whole family has thyroid problems
    #5 Lies. Your only fooling yourself.. I fool myself all the time, but its gonna end now. Im already excited.

I also reckon alcohol is a major issue – but I didnt expect Kevin to mention this since most ppl that are leaning towards a raw lifestyle steer away from this anyways.
    But as a uni student i get sucked into this very often – its so convenient and social (err..isnt that what smokers say about cigarettes?? heh…)

EXCELLENT show, Kevin, Thank you for sharing.

31. Lois Kubota says:

It’s just this last 10 pounds!!

Okay, you got me. It’s number 5! I had to go on weight watchers to document what I was eating. Sure, I could have written everything down myself, but Weight Watchers make me feel more accountable. I don’t like everything about it, but it’s pretty good.

And by the way, I do loooooooove cheese, but had to give it up for the most part to get my cholesteral down.

32. Frances says:

I appreciate your no BS attitude today Kevin!

I don’t eat very much during the day and am RAVENOUS at night, so I need to work on that one – and this relates to not being truthful, as I stop being objective about my eating because I am so hungry
    I have gotten a lot better about stress, but need to get better about sleeping!

I don’t have weight problems – if anything, I’m an the edge of underweight, in part because I am healing from body dysmorphia and eating disorders, but I would say an offshoot of the stress part of your top 5 is FAT THOUGHTS. Just my opinion…

33. greg says:

Good show, however I wanted to make a comment. I think you are on track with what you are saying about cheese, for the most part, but I don’t think it is correct to put cheese into the whole ‘dairy’ category. What about homemade kefir, cultured with real kefir grains? This is beyond the regular old dairy category, don’t you think?

34. Ildiko says:

Wow, this was such a great show, exactly what I needed!
    I must be guilty of all 5, so this is giving me stuff to work with.
    Interesting thing though, even though I have Hashimoto’s disease and have been taking natural hormones for years, this past summer I spent 5 weeks with my family in Hungary and lost 20 lbs while I was there. Was not eating 100% raw, and still, all the weight just dropped. My doctor could not phantom what happened, cause I actually reduced my thyroid hormone intake just before we left for Europe and according to him it was impossible in that scenary to experience such weight loss.
    Just to show you, the body works mysterious ways sometimes.
    I do want to add exercise as well! I love walking, doing hoola hooping and rebounding, these are the things that I do regularly.

35. Janet says:

None of them! It is lack of exercise for me. Diet is really good.

36. ktlove says:

ugh, all the above.

37. Sue Rushford says:

Cow secretion/puss (cheese) – haven’t touched it in years.
    Breakfast – favorite meal of the day – never miss.
    Stress – sleep deprivation doesn’t help for sure.
    Thyroid – no idea – plan to get tested soon.
    Fooling myself – I’m very aware that I eat 2 slices of bread every day & prob twice a week something cooked (quinoi, Indian food, Thai food) or processed (potato chips, veggie chips).
    So I don’t think it’s lying to myself as much as not being able to curb my appetite. I’m sure I’m way heavy on the fats with avocado, coconut and lots of nuts & seeds every day, combined with way too much fruit, horrific food combining, which ends up bloating me. I’ve been instituting Paul Nison’s Daylight Diet not eating past like 4 or 5pm, and that seems to help a lot.
    I would love to hear Obstacles 6-10! I would list Over-Eating (meals too large and/or too often), Bread/Pasta/Rice, Alcohol, Night Eating, and Sedentary Lifestyle, for 6-10. I battle Over-Eating & Bread, personally.

38. Lori says:

I got onto the green smoothies, made them to taste because im not a veggie fan at all! Anyways, I was wondering if you can tell me what a good ratio is greens/fruit. I mostly use spinach or a baby greens mix. Then can you tell me, like if its 60/40 lets say, where i have heard somewhere, how do you measure that? (in the blender?) Second, how many ounces of smoothie should you drink at each meal if your doing 2 to 3 a day? I was drinking it twice a day, and then would have a vegitarian frozen meal for dinner (yea i know fresh is best, but i cant make anything that taste good to me with veggies. I lost around 10lbs, but im thinking that was just with an increased b.m. Then it just stopped. I have a thyroid issue too, but im on medication for that. Im thinking i was just getting too many carbs from the fruit because i was going by taste and not ratio.

39. Nicole says:

Oooh…you said the “ch” word!;-) I haven’t eaten cheese in months since I know it’s like a drug-food, up there with bread for me. I think my problems are:

eating more than I think I do

eating late at night when my “hunger switch” doesn’t shut off naturally

not exercising enough

I’m working on all three of these and feeling good about it. Great video!

PS: you talked about Paul Nison’s daylight diet a while ago, but I wonder, when do you and Ann Marie stop/start eating? I’m trying to stop before dark, but at social functions it’s tempting.

40. Shelly says:

Thanks Kevin! My favorite reason is being honest about what your eating. I’m going to try that, although I eat very healthy…I know there are things I could cut out. As a person with a long time struggle with obesity I hope that does it for me.

Keep up the great work, both of you.

41. Brian says:

I am not considered overweight but I ate very little during the day but heavy in the evening and my concentration at school was poor. Most people at school seem to eat very little for lunch.

Now I eat more heavily either during the day and less in the evening. I seem to be more interested at school and I don’t feel like the day is dragging.

I agree with Angela Stoke’s approach. It is better to consume more food when you actually need the energy than consume it in the evening when you need less.

After taking spirulina, I discovered that I could thrive on either high fat or high carb foods. I can eat cooked potatoes alone without crashing. 2 tsp of spirulina seem to improve sugar tolerance better than a serving of meat plus it is cheaper.

42. Diana says:

lumberjack breakfasts, lol!

43. Guylaine says:

Great tips Kevin.
    May I add my word. We can even be overweight eating 100% raw if there’s too many dried fruits and nuts in the daily diet such as snacks and desserts. I reserve desserts for special time not so for gain weight but for health. Dessert can cause trouble and inflammation. Favor fresh fruit over concentrated sweets if have health and weight problems.

44. Subee says:

Havent really had cheese since a dr recommended my husband cut it out to heal migraines that were getting so bad they caused stroke-like symptoms. After getting them since he was a teenager, he hasnt gotten one in months just from cutting out cheese (he eats mainly SAD)! Amazing.
    Ive noticed that since Im eating more whole, raw foods I have just been secreting lots of mucus. I know, gross, but I think its because Im not adding any more mucous-creating dairy, so my body is finally free to clear it all out. Its just a theory but its def. not a cold or allergy– there are no other symptoms, just mucous coming up/out. So now I dont want to eat cheese at all. It almost looks like mucous to me!
    I have also found that eating too much late at night is a vicious cycle–you tend not to be hungry until mid-afternoon when u have overloaded ur body late at night when ur metabolism and excretory system slow down– the next day ur body is still trying to get rid of all that junk. And then ur starving again. So yeah, I have a yummy raw “granola” in the morning– a mix of fresh and dry fruit, (soaked goji/chia base) all kinds of nuts and seeds, greens powder, hemp, bee pollen (that I got from the gianni store– yummy!) with almond milk. I use a small pink bowl that is the same size as I give my 3 1/2 yr old daughter to control portion because all of that stuff while being nutrient-dense, is calorie dense too, and pretty quickly u realize u physically need much less of it than what ur eyeballs learned on a SAD diet.

I am slowly working up to not eating past dinner, but I work late some nights and just find it challenging to break a life-long habit of “relaxing” with a treat, so what I do is leave my raw treat for nightime– ie: two little raw cookies/maccaroons or a half a raw carob brownie (no more chocolate for me as per cardiolgist– I have mitral valve prolapse) with a nice warm cup of Teccino with almond milk. I commit to that same moderate portion and then tell myself the kitchen and my mouth are both closed. I also am in a 12-step program (for many addictions, food being one) so what has been really, REALLY helpful is what we call “turning my food over.” I call my sponsor every morning and commit to what I will be eating that day. I cant believe what a difference this has made in keeping me accountable and having integrity around food instead of ignoring how overeating hurts my body and blocks my spirit.

Thanks guys for a great show as usual, and thanks everyone for ur shares. Hope mine helps someone. xoxoxo

45. Bethany says:

I loved that last part. “And that is called yo-yoing, which leads to stress, which makes your adrenals burn out, which imbalances your thyroid, which makes you eat CHEESE!” Hahaha.

I think my reasons for not losing the weight I should (Even though I truly am a 100% raw-food-eating-yogi) is maybe a combination of stress and thyroid issues.

What would you recommend to combat a lazy thyroid?

46. B says:

CHEEEEESEEE.
    Definitely addicting. Haha.
    & stress. omg. & yo-yoing on cheese creates most of that stress because I not only feel crappy & chubby after eating cheese, but my skin also breaks out from cheese. ahhh

47. Paul says:

Oh man, that show really got me thinking about cheese and I haven’t eaten the stuff since, well, last week. 🙂

Yeah I was tempted and gave in but only the once. My issue is needing to gain weight but I am working on that one with body weight strength exercises.

Thanks.

48. Jackie says:

I thought I was doing good when I dropped cheeses and replaced them with goat cheese. Still bad? Guilty of eating in the evening. A “lumberjack” breakfast makes me hungry all day long. Do I just have a bunch of bad habits? The low throid thing is a possibility. There is a fasting and non-fasting thyroid test, is either one ok?

49. Kimberly says:

What about MOVEMENT!!!

50. Erika Matt says:

Low thyroid is widespread. Most doctors don’t deal with it and if they do they prescribe the wrong medication. Dr. David Brownstein has written an excellent little book about low thyroid and about the medication to take. The armor thyroid one should take has not been available for some time and I am currently getting mine from a compounding pharmacy.

51. FeralKevin says:

I agree that you should not eat cheese if you are actually try to LOSE weight.

Otherwise, I disagree I love cheese and think if it’s from a pastured animal and is raw especially, it is “addictive” because it’s what the body needs.

Of course, not in every case.

I also think that number one thing that causes people to not lose weight is not exercising.

52. Amazingly, Cheese was the first thing I gave up almost 2 years ago and I was “Highly Addicted” to it. My friends would go out to eat with me and say: “Jen, there’s cheese.” LOL! And I told them I dont’ eat it anymore. But, here I am gaining weight back in the fall like every fall the last few years due to craving more nuts and eating them. Ack! I diffently do not pay attention to how many I eat. I just graze on them. Well, no wonder I gained some weight. Chocolate is an on-going battle with me, nothing else to say about that. However, you pegged me with the self-denial and eating at night. I never ate at night and I married a guy who eats at night. In the beginning I just watched him and I don’t know when it happened but, here I am trying to kick this “Ugly habit”. I want to get out of denial about what, when, and how much I’m eating. I’m so done. My stomach hurts at night like right now and I feel sick in the morning. Ick!
    You will be proud of me. (if you’re even are able to read my post lol) I went to a Homepathic Doctor and I am amazed at his desire to not only want to know what I currently feel is wrong with me but, what my traumas have been and he was very attentive and empathic with relating them to what is going on with me. He ordered a full blood work on me 🙂 and did a Thermograph on entire body. That is a trip. I got to see the heat and lack of heat in my body. No surprise my neck and upper back were totally red (where I carry all my stress, plus old injury) Wow! So, kewl. I can’t wait to hear more of what he sees in my blood.

53. taylor says:

What about Cheese substitutes like Soy Cheese or Almond Cheese?

54. Jasmine says:

I have been eating breakfast later in the day closer to lunch around 11 am or I’ll have a piece of fruit earlier in the morning and then go to the gym and then eat raw soup or nori wrap or salad for lunch. Then another salad for dinner.

Do you suggest eating a smoothie right when I wake up in the morning even if I’m not hungry?

Also, eating late at night is the big one for me. I used to eat after my work shift at 12 am or later. After gaining over 10 lbs since I started this job, I am finally determined to kick the habit…the late night bingeing habit. I am now only eating during daylight hours.

I started this week (four days ago) and i’ve lost 2 lbs! My goal is to lose 10 lbs by January 1st.

55. Dear Kevin and Anne-Marie!
    Thanks for all your good advices. I have tried 100% raw and I lost 12 punds in 3 weeks.
    It really works easily.
    Thank you for all your inspiration!
    You are two angels!!!

56. Kazzie says:

I have cheese about once every 2 weeks, its raw goats cheese. I may give it up. I agree with the comments above tho, excercise, I have a sit down job and also work from home sitting down. So I need to move more. I have started making sure I do 20 mins excercise at 6am then I cycle for half an hour morning and evening. I have also booked into a boot camp for the next 6 weeks with a 1-1 trainer. This should get me moving.

57. Susan Bessette says:

My problem is definitely cocktail hour. At 6 p.m. I crave wine and a salty crunchy snack. A salted apple works okay, but it is not the same as pretzels! I’ve tried to break this habit, without success.

58. Rosemarie says:

I have Thyroidism, I basically agree with you Kevin but it is not always the dieet, if your mom or other members of your family have thyroid problems you will to.
    I was a vegan for years and took healthy supps. and still got thyroid. I still eat properly I know because I only gained 20 lbs in the 6 years I have been ill. Many people are obese with it. It is sad there is nothing you can do about the weight.
    I am now raw, I am no longer getting stressed about weight as long as I eat healthily it is all I can do.
    Beware of Drs. half of them do not know what they are doing with thyroid disease. I had a specialist overmedicate me, I went from being mildy Hypothyroid to severly Hyperthyroid, now I am at risk of dying from heart failure, but I still can’t lose weight.

59. Marie1225 says:

Hi Kevin,

Once again, I so appreciate your honesty. I can totally identify the addiction to cheese and dairy in general. Over the summer when I went raw vegan, I automatically took that stuff out.

I have to give glory to Jesus for that though, because I was addicted, and I couldn’t have done it without Him. I’ll never forget the morning that I woke up, and could so clearly hear Him say to me, “Don’t worry, I’ll be with you, and I am going to help you do this.”

For a long time from about the beginning of the year I could feel God speaking to me, and trying to show me the way that He wanted me specifically to be eating. I say me, because I can only speak for myself.

I tried to ignore it for many months. I tried to ignore the fact that walking thru the poultry section of the grocery store made me feel sick to my stomach, and then I’d bring that chicken or turkey home and prepare it anyway. I didn’t even really wnat it that much, but eat it anyway.

Then in late Spring I found a lump in my left breast. I went to several doctors, and had all of the tests done. My doctor was pretty undecided for a while as to whether or not it was cancer. Praise God, that it was not.

I do however, see how the Lord used that experience to bring me to where I am now with the way He wanted me to be taking care of this temple that houses the Holy Spirit.

God bless you guys,

Marie

60. Anne Hunt says:

There are about 670 well known named cheeses….it could be a life time study in itself…as you can tell cheese is a passion of mine. Does this cheese addiction include goat or almond cheese also? Is there a better substitute?
    Thyroid tests are ambivalent at best. It is important to go to a health care provider that will look at your symptoms as well as test results. You can easily fall in to the “Normal” range on tests and still have symptoms of “disease”.

61. hugo says:

and gaining weight????

62. Leam says:

I find it so funny that almost everyone had to make a cheese confession or last way weigh-in pro or con cheese.

I think lying to oneself about what one is really eating is right on. I was just speaking to a relative about this. Her triglyceride level is off the charts and so her doctor wants her to restrict sugar/starch/fat and get regular exercise. She was in such denial about what she eats and how much exercise she gets that I told her the best way to convince her doctor of all this would be to write down every morsel of food she eats and the amount and type of exercise she does everyday. (I put it that way because she’s in such denial I thought pointing a finger at her would make her completely shut down – like telling her that her ultra-SAD diet and lack of real exercise is the problem)

Thanks for your thoughts, insight and passion. I agree with an earlier comment. Get out in the rain! I feel so alive taking a walk or jog out in the rain – with or without an umbrella. So what if you get a little wet? – you’re not made of sugar.

63. dinah berly says:

Your tips were great(as usual)! Particularly I consider stress the most important factor. The same diet,the same recipes will bring different results depending on the the period of my life( and this means to be or not be underpressure)
    I hope you go on “mentoring” people.
    Thanks Kevin

64. anonymous says:

i wish you’d calm down kevin, you are becoming unwatchable … sorry 🙂

65. Elicia says:

Is every one talking about eating too much raw bread? I am confused people are saying they have bread issues. The last time I checked bread was cooked. I think Kevin was talking about someone who went 100% raw and still is not losing weight.

66. Courtney says:

Ahhh! Raw goat cheese… although, I’ve known it’s been time for me “break up with cheese” for quite some time. 😉 My children love it in our salads. Thanks for the added motivation to pull out my portion of salad before I add in the raw cheese for my growing boyz and gurlz.

67. Julie says:

I agree with those things, also adding exercise, but I have also found that deep breathing a few minutes a day and drinking alkaline water daily, makes a big difference. www,youralkalineh2o.com for a Free-Ebook

68. weezie says:

Kevin! I LOVE the vicious cycle shout-out that will always make you eat more cheese!! hahaha….

I have been vegan for 2+ years, high-raw for about 6 months now and I CONstantly feel tired. I consciously limit nuts and avos, drink lots of water/green and herbal tea, don’t eat late-night, recently been running consistently again, go to bed no later than 10:30 and am just always feeling drained and burnt-out. I’m not sure if I’m lacking in some kind of vitamin/mineral combination (B vitamins/ vitamin D??), or if my thyroids are an issue but I’m definitely still figuring out how to find all of this energy you are supposed to feel when you are raw.

You and Ann Marie are AWEsome! We’ve got your ATL rain up here in DC today… WHICH, by the way, is a place y’all should totally stop by on your way up the east coast…we could use some RHS lovin! Thanks for another great show : )

69. Shell says:

I am losing weight steadily, 2 lbs a week for the last 6 months and I never eat breakfast. Stopping forcing myself to eat breakfast I am convinced is one of my corner stones to success. Just water till 11 or 12, then start in with the green smoothie, nice meal around 5 pm, then not hungry in the evening. I never eat cheese, never known what people see in dairy, but I do crave brown bread and peanut butter, which I try never to have around, but slip up sometimes.

70. Beth says:

Although I did have cheese with my lunch today (Greek salad at a restaurant) I hardly ever have it anymore.

The two things that registered with me are 1) Breakfast and 2) Eating late at night. I have a 32 oz green smoothie every day for breakfast, and some days for lunch. But, since I tend to “graze” through the evening and night (especially in the darker winter months) perhaps I am not getting enough calories during the day.

Starting today, right now, I’m committing to not eating after dinner. Period. Done. I’ll even brush my teeth (with Tooth Soap of course) and use my Tooth Swish to give my mouth that “extra clean” taste.

Thanks for another great, no nonsense show!

71. Jill says:

I haven’t watched the show yet but when I went to the doctor today I gained 5 lbs and now weight more than my fiance! *cries*
    I’ll be watching this tomorrow, and I hope it helps!

72. Mary Artemis says:

#6 – not enough exercise!! Thank God for ZUMBA! I now burn 5-800 calories per dance session. I have also begun to eat better too!!

73. LeAnn says:

What about almond cheese or rice cheese? Would you put those in the same category as dairy cheese?

Also, I am natural health consultant…just wondering if you could give some tips on how you do your research. There is so much bad information on the web and it can be hard to discern. Do you have certain sites that you go to or what?

You guys are great! Thanks for all your hard work.

74. Tiff says:

Hey High Five Mary Artemis, I’m a ZUMBA instructor 🙂 What a great way to exercise and get one hour of sheer positive energy!! Kevin I think you’re the best and very watchable. I have said it like 400 times in your comments but thank you so much for the interview with the Tuttles that made me a vegan out of the blue. I just haven’t touched it since seeing them. I didn’t realize cheese/dairy was even unhealthy until more recently. When I first discovered your podcast 5 or 6 months ago I wasn’t even raw, and now I am! Thanks to you and all the other great podcasters out there doing this work!!

75. sharon in Sugar Land says:

Here’s a great alternative to parm. cheese:

1 cup soaked cashews
    1 red pepper
    1/2 lemon, juiced
    blend with water until it is a runny peanut butter consistency. I also add a small amount of ground flax to it.

spread on a dehydrator sheet, dehydrate until dry. Break apart and sprinkle on salads, etc.

I especially love kale dipped into mix and then dehyrated!!!

76. maria says:

I quit excercising and lost 5 pounds, what do you think is up with this?

I can eat cheese as long as it isn’t very cooked,(and I’d better not eat as much as I would like) if it browned I can’t digest it.

77. Marquesa says:

I had been discussing recently how each time I try to go raw that I get a craving for nacho cheese dorito chips and cheese. It was strange to me because I don’t normally eat them that often. I also have noticed that I do better when I get up and eat a green smoothie for breakfast. Otherwise, I do what he said and I will eat whatever I see later in the afternoon. I do not usually eat that late into the evening but I still eat too many calories because I am not eating first thing in the morning. So, that is my project for the next two or three weeks to establish a green smoothie upon arising habit.

78. hyesun says:

hmm…..interesting…i’ve been diagnosed with hypothyroid, but i’m slightly underweight (5’3″, around 100-105 lbs) and i eat at least an ounce or more of cheese everyday. but it’s raw grassfed cheese. i always have 3 or 4 different kinds in my fridge. during the summer i make my own ice cream with raw organic grassfed milk and cream and eat it everyday too. i’ve been the same weight for the past 2 years. of course i eat and juice tons of greens/veggies too. but i hardly ever eat grains/bread/pasta. i think that’s what puts weight on people…….i think it’s a dangerous myth that fat makes you fat (i’m talking about raw healthy fats like olive and coconut oils, avocados, raw butter, raw egg yolks, etc). i try to eat as much fat as i comfortably can.

79. Susan says:

Cheese is my down fall and I’ve been eating a little cooked food because my daught still eat some cooked food. I wish I could get her to eat raw food. She needs to because she is gaining weight. I’m 117lb. and she is 142lb. and she is only 22 and I’m 48.

80. Dust says:

To lmaz

Check out the book the thrive diet by a vegan athlete, helped me out a lot when transitioning to a healthy active diet.

Have you tried hemp powder and chia seeds?

Chia seeds are great in the morning and help keep ya going and the hemp powder really helps on the protein. Chlorella and spirulina are also really good to use if your into strength training on vegan.

81. Hey Kev

We think that your high-vibe energy is great. It’s fantastic to show what a natural state of health can look like. Shows the “normal” energy/vibrancy level of people to be substandard.

I think a food journal is a good idea… or rather, just having some form of accountability with regards to diet (or anything in life that one is focusing on improving…).

Also, am interested in the no eating when it’s dark style. Go with the flow of nature, etc.

Sweet. Peace.

82. Jenn says:

I liked #5 the best, just dealt with that myself and got back on track.

I agree cheese can be a trigger, and processed store bought does often cause cravings(leading to possible gains) but I’ve started eating goat/raw cow cheese(all local) lately and it is WAY past any weight gain(lol, already gained it all and was on low dairy). I find just having a small container of goat cheese in the fridge/freezer allows me to know it’s there is I really crave it but in honestly I might eat it 1x a week.

I know thyroid for me is a trigger, found out too late about stress and interesting on the Vit B deficiencies and thyroid connected because I have both but feel better when taking Vit B. Vit D also connected there.

For me a GOOD amount of the weight gain and inability to lose(thryoid not included here) is grains. I recently cut out most grains from my diet(still working on corn, but cut back there) and my GI and energy are already better after only 4 days.

I aways eat breakfast, so that I’m good on 🙂