A Raw Food Recipe for Cajun Creole Gumbo – The Renegade Health Show #427

Wednesday Oct 28, 2009 | BY |

We’re officially on our way back East…

A month or so ago we thought we were officially on our way back, but we got a call from Hollywood and needed to get back to LA to film for something (can’t mention it just yet!)

Today, we’re in New Orleans waiting for a friend and then my brother to come into town.

We figured we’d do a traditional (as traditional as raw food gumbo is) recipe with some cajun spice!

Here’s what Ann put together…

Your question of the day: Have you ever been to New Orleans?

Here’s the recipe:

Raw Food Recipe for Cajun Creole Gumbo

Tomato Creole Sauce:

4 plum tomatoes
2 dates
3-4 cloves of garlic
1 celery stalk
1 small carrot
2 green onions
1/2 sweet onion
Water to constancy
4 tbsp Creole Seasoning
(paprika, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, cayanne)
1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
1 tablespoon dried leaf thyme
pinch celery seed
6 leaves of sweet basil
sea salt to taste

Combine the first 7 ingredients into high speed blender. Blend while slowly adding in water for a sauce-like consistency. Add the spices and blend at a low speed to incorporate them. Great to make the sauce a few hours a head of time, the spices really come out!

For the Gumbo:

20 oz. of chopped okra -which I forgot :-(
1 red bell pepper, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
1 large carrot
1 cloves garlic, mashed
tomato creole sauce

Optional: Raw Corn!

Sprinkle top with: Creole Spices, paprika, black pepper, sea salt

Chop all veggies serve over hardy sprouts.

1. Susan says:

No, I haven’t been to N.O.

A number of shows ago, you mentioned coming to the Atlanta area in November. Is Georgia still in your travel plans? If so, when and to what event, if any?

Happy Birthday, Annemarie.

Smile

2. Mazie Miles says:

Happy Birthday!
    I will try this soon!
    Blessings
    mazie

3. Jill says:

I never have, but my fiance and I want to go as soon as possible. Lots of cool haunted history there! :)

4. Carolina says:

Have not been to New Orleans as of yet.
    I have never had raw okra before, does it have a strong taste? Trying to decide if I should include it my first time attempting to make this recipe. Thanks guys!

5. Deborah says:

I was there in December, 2004. It was only a short stay before settling in Atlanta for several years. I liked New Orleans, but, would never live there.

6. Katrina says:

I live in New Orleans! Well, part of the year. The other part I’m up in BC, Canada. Two awesome places.

You picked a great weekend to be in N’awlins. John Friend, Anusara yoga’s founder, is teaching a workshop this weekend. Plus there are more parties than you could possibly attend. Let me know if you want any recommendations!

Yes, I’ve tried many traditional local foods. Often they’re amazing, and just as often they’re simply too heavy for me. It can be hard to find a gumbo without sausage in it, and since I’m not eating much seafood at this point, I’d have to make my own if I want to eat it. But my mama makes an awesome veggie red beans and rice!

Happy Birthday Ann-Marie. I hope you enjoy your stay here! Thanks for the recipe.

7. Jackie Ryan says:

Nope, nope nope…. cajun is from the bayou in southwest LA. Creole is more from the southeast area like New Orleans.
    So its either cajun or creole. I’m saying its creole because cajun doen’t have tomatoe in it.
    I grew up in LA. It will be fun to try. But no basil in gumbo try file from sasafrass (sp)
    Spent lots of good times in New Orleans

8. Christy says:

Happy Birthday Anne Marie!

Thank you so much for this recipe! I can’t wait to try it. I am from NW Louisiana and my whole family lives there (I’m in KY now). I miss cajun food soooo bad. That’s all I ate growing up.

You’ve inspired me to create some raw cajun recipes. How does raw pralines sound? Yum!

Thanks again! Have fun and BE CAREFUL in New Orleans!

9. modini says:

I live in New Orleans. Glad you guys are here. If you have time to look around, I recommend you stay off Bourbon St and check out uptown. Audubon Zoo and Oak St. and City Park in mid city. The St. Charles streetcar is a must-do. Best music is at Tipatina’s uptown. Have fun!

10. LuAnn Agustin says:

Never been, but would love to experience New Orleans some day. I’ve never been attracted to gumbo before as I don’t like fish or other questionable ingredients but your version makes me want to try it out. I’ll let you know how it comes out. Thanks guys!

11. Wanda says:

Been there. Had fun. Ate as much as I could. Have yall tried the crawfish?

12. Linda says:

I can’t believe yall are here in NOLA and I’m headed to TX then to Branson, Mo for vacation. I live about an hour from the French Quarter. I really do have alligators in my yard sometimes! This has got to be the hardest place to visit and stay raw. The food is to die for(literally – check out the obesity and diabetes stats in LA and MS. Have fun, be safe, and if you decide to take a bite of alligator on a stick, don’t worry it taste like chicken and feels a little like like a tune steak. HA!

13. Jos says:

Ann Marie — Happy Birthday!
    Yes, I have been to New Orleans several times. I have tried the local foods and had a blast during each of my visits!

14. Kathy says:

New Orleans is a wonderful town! Have been several times, but the most memeorable was Christmas with the fires on the levee and the upside down x-mas trees in the French Quarter. They don’t know raw there, barely can find a good salad, but hey! It’s part of the experience. Have fun, be safe, and HB to AM! :-)

15. Linda says:

Looks yummy! But, Jackie is right about the Cajun/Creole thing. I’m from Lafayette and that’s Cajunland. New Orleans is Creole and they use more tomatoes. So, the gumbo recipe is actually closer to a creole-style veggie stew, smothered okra or okra-corn maque-choux (mock-shoo). Substitute bay leaf and little file (fee-lay) for the basil and oregano and you’re spot-on! I’m definitely trying this one.

Thanks so much for all you guys do!

Linda

16. sunshine says:

I’m from Louisiana and definitely the standard Cajun Creole looks quite different.

I would like to try it with Quinoa that might be tasty!

Being from LA we like it really spicy and hot!

17. sunshine says:

I would like to try it with Quinoa that might be tasty!

Being from LA we like it really spicy and hot!
    OH! You’re my new favorite blogger fyi

18. Page says:

I’ve been to NO a few times. Love it there! I’ve experienced Christmas there twice. One time was from the deck of the Delta Queen. We went down the river to see the bonfires on the levees before turning around and heading up river to spend several days seeing the sights. It was a wonderful time. It actually snowed in NO that Christmas!

19. Tino says:

I went to school there. I love it there.

Carolina: Raw okra doesn’t have a strong taste, but it does have a slight hint of slimeyness. Cooked okra has traditionally been used for thickening of sauces and stews.

Kevin & Annmarie: Cajuns are people that settled in Louisiana from Eastern Canada. The Creole are people from the Caribbean.

Have a good time and be safe! I second the visiting of Audubon Park (it’s on the uptown streetcar line). Also, if you are doing the non-raw thing – visit the Gumbo Store in the French Quarter on St Peters right around the corner from St Louis Cathedral!

20. Marijana says:

I have’t been to USA, so I have never been to N’Orleans. AndI would loved to. I guess, someday…

But I wish all the best to Annmarie for her birthday from far, far away Croatia, Europe! :-)

21. on October 30th my son Yogi will turn 3
    he and my four year old are media free except for watching your Wed recipe show
    they love it!
    Happy Birthday Anne Marie!

22. Joan says:

Happy Birthday, Ann Marie! Thanks for the recipe – I have never made Gumbo but am game to try the raw version! I have never been to New Orleans and really haven’t thought about going there either! Have a wonderful stay. Be safe!

23. Beth says:

I went to New Orleans back in the summer of 1998. Had a great time with my friends and tried all kinds of local dishes. Yummy!
    Enjoy your stay in NOLA.

24. Lila says:

I personally have never visited New Orleans. Father-in-law lives there and likes it. My son and husband may be going in June of 2010 for a special work clean-up week. I want to visit one day. Love your show happy safe trails to you both!!

25. Never been, but one day really want to. Why is it unsafe? I know nothing about the matter, too far away to know anything about the matter… Actually my friends tell me that its a bit unsafe some parts where i live, so they tend to freak out every night when i go running in the dark..
    That dish looks really spot on tasty as they come!!

26. Rhonda D says:

Yes back in 1992 and I had traditional food.
    Love’d it.

I did take a swamp tour it was in april and the beauty of the blooms in the swamp region was great.

Hope you enjoy.

27. Marie1225 says:

Happy Birthday Annmarie! Thanks to you and Kevin as always! I haven’t ever been to New Orleans.I can’t imagine I’ll get down that way either. Annmarie, could you pretty please do a raw pumpkin pie recipe? Also could you please include tips for those of us without a Vitamix?

Thanks,

Marie

28. Ann Marie Huntington says:

Was in New Orleans new years eve, 1999! Boy, what a way to rock in the year 2000. Crazy, fun place
    Happy Birthday from one Ann Marie to another Ann Marie, lol

29. Karen says:

Yes, we went to New Orleans in 2007 and had a great time! Enjoyed some real authentic Creole cuisine at the Gumbo Shop (before I was raw, lol!). Loved the art and music, beautiful old houses and great party atmosphere. Also the paddle steam cruise and swamp tour. We stayed in the most charming little pink guest house – so cute! Would love to go back!

30. Linda says:

New Orleans is dangerous because the murder rate is 7.5 times the national average. And, the car theft rate is pretty high, too. But, this is nothing new. New Orleans has had nearly a murder per day for many years. You can have a great time there. But, you must keep your wits about you.

31. Christine says:

I was in New Orleans one time back in April, 2001…I ate some Creole food there and it was delicious…However, I didn’t have their gumbo because I don’t eat seafood…

32. Mila says:

Visited New Orleans a few years back… loved the food! Can’t wait to make this recipe, thanks!

33. sharon in Sugar Land says:

If you are going to cheat just a bit, this is definately worth it:

Cafe du Monde: Cafe au lait and beignets. You won’t be able to eat just one!

Aunt Sally’s Praline Shop: the best pralines in the world!

34. dianne says:

I wish you would keep your pets away from the food prep area while you are doing your show. It is a BIG turnoff for me and has to be quite unsanitary.

35. Joanie says:

You are living my dream….traveling around in an RV! Have fun and be careful!

36. Meagan says:

Hey. I just wanted to say I’ve been way impressed with AnnaMarie’s creativity in the kitchen in past episodes and this recipe especially. I can tell you have a real passion for it. You’re turning out to be a fine raw chef! :)I think you should have your own raw food show on Utube – your explaination of technique and procedure is really good :).

Sincerely,

Meagan
    Fort Bragg, CA

37. Lori says:

Yes, I have. Belated Happy Birthday. Did Kevin cook for you last Friday?

Also, I’m not comfortable with your cat walking on the countertops as you cook; not too sanitary.

38. Lori says:

Anne Marie:

Loved the gumbo! You’re the best.

Lori
    Santa Barbara

39. Michelle says:

Jackie is right, Cajun and Creole are two completely different food types! Cajun food is actually not very spicy, although it has become that over the past years. Creole food was a mixture of Spanish, Carribean, AFrican, and Indian (native American). That’s where Cajun food morphed into being spicy. My grandma (and my mom)never cooked spicy food! Jackie and Linda are right on about the file – you can’t have REAL gumbo without it!

I’m from New Orleans. Born and raised just outside of the city in Metairie, but my parents and all my relatives live in Cajun land. Hope you made it uptown – there used to be a great Vegan diner on Magazine. Also hope you splurged and cheated on the beignets!! What a treat!

40. Joy says:

I so enjoy watching you fix all these foods – but in the end, all the work just makes me want to go eat an apple! :-) Thanks for keeping me entertained and sharing your energy with the world!! I am part of the lazy-man’s raw crew – aka 811. ;-)

XO

41. Florence says:

Never been to New Orleans but your receipe makes me want to go! Plus I am french!
    Thanks
    FLorence

42. Manda says:

Yay for raw Creole-style recipes! I live about an hour North of N.O. I am not from La. and am finding it is a very difficult place to be a high-raw veg. It’s the land of deep fried animal products drenched in cream sauces – eating out, which I seldom do, is a challenge as they love to put meat and cheese in everything. Very difficult to obtain organics down here, too.
    N.O. does have some lovely architecture, and the aquarium is always worthy of a leisurely visit.

43. Wendy says:

We enjoyed vacationing this year in New Orleans in September for our anniversary.

44. Debra says:

Can’t wait to try this recipe! What’s up with Johnny 5?

45. Jerrett says:

The creole sauce sounds like it would be a great raw meal. On a tough critique, I really don’t think you can call the addition a gumbo if it doesn’t have a roux, especially with a tomato based replacement. Of course adding this would then take it out of the raw category. Very creative though, this is nice to see people applying things like this. Bravo.

46. dawn says:

Reading thru the comments — wondering how one would do bay leaf raw? do they grind? if so, why don’t we already do that?

trying your recipe tonight!! (may forget the okra myself! LOL) am so very excited you’ve come up with it, because this is the sort of dish i was afraid i’d miss — i used to throw a bunch of stuff in the rice cooker & call it “mom-balaya” :D