An Autumn Raw Food Recipe for Pumpkin Bars – The Renegade Health Show Episode #417

Wednesday Oct 14, 2009 | BY |

We’re in Santa Fe getting ready to head into town to check it out…

Annmarie found some pumpkins here and decided to make a raw food recipe for pumpkin bars that she got from our friend and raw food chef Frank Giglio’s book.

The best news? (Besides the fact that they taste awesome) Is that they’re sweetened with dried apricots!

I know you’ll like these, take a look…

Your question of the day: What do you do with your pumpkins?

If you want to check out Frank Giglio’s book, click here: Frank Giglio’s Raw For All Raw Food Cookbook

Here’s the raw food recipe:

Pumpkin Bars By Frankie Giglio

1 1/2 c pumpkin seeds
2c pumpkin or butternut squash, cut into small pieces
1/2c sunflower seeds
1c dried apricots, quartered
2tsp cinnamon
1tsp nutmeg

First, grind pumpkin seeds in food processor to fine pieces. Remove and place in a large mixing bowl.

Second, chop squash/pumpkin in food processor in to fine pieces.

Third, grind remaining ingredients until a ball stats to form.

On a baking tray lined with parchment paper or on your dehydrator rack. Spread mixture into pan to desired thickness. You can dehydrate if you like I would suggest 118 for 6-8 hours. Or you can just refrigerate and eat as is!

You can also make them into balls!

Enjoy and share!!

1. Hey Guys,
    Thanks for the raw pumpkin bar recipe. I’ve never eaten raw pumpkin before but I’ll have to give it a try now. I love to eat, carve, and bake pies from pumpkins.

Off topic: I’m on my way to going raw but have a candida issue so I’m finding it quite difficult to get enough calories to maintain a healthy weight by only eating raw. Until the candida issue is gone, I’m getting a lot of my calories from cooked quinoa, beans, veggies, and limited nuts and seeds. I’ve eaten so many nuts and seeds since going vegan, I’ve pushed my lipid profile out of balance so I’m now limiting my fat intake to flax oil, ground flax seeds, and a little hemp. Kevin, you’re a big guy and you don’t seem to have problems getting enough calories on a raw diet so would you be so kind ass to tell me where most of your calories come from?

Thanks so much for your show. I’m a huge fan and I’m constantly spreading the word about you guys. I’ve started my own show to help change the world for the better. It’s not the renegade health show but it’s a start. I’m on youtube: The Organic Revolution. I’ve been living and breathing natural health for the last 5 years or so and it’s been a real journey. I’ve just recently helped 2 people reverse their diabetes by applying some of Dr. Gabriel Cousins principals in his book There is a Cure for Diabetes. Sorry for the long winded comment, just hoping others will benefit from the information.
    Love you guys,

Jordan – The ones who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do so get crazy, get creative and change the world!!

2. Samantha says:

Love this!! Pumpkin is my favorite squash! Could you please post the recipe…..
    Love You Both!

3. Christina says:

Hi there,
    I think you mentioned spices in your video…what spices did you use and what were the amounts for the sunflower seeds, coconut and apricot? I want to try to make a Body Ecology (less sweet) version. YUMM! Thanks!

4. vee says:

Pumpkins, let me see I bake pies, cakes, and cookies um good. Love your show. Will continue to watch. BUT where are the measurements for the recipes. HELP!

5. Diana says:

Thanks for the recipe, I think AnnMarie forgot to put in the spices?
    I am assuming the spices are almost the same as you put in pumpkin pie? Cinnamon? Allspice? nutmeg? cloves?

6. Christina says:

Jordan,
    I hope that you mind me responding but in order to fully conquer candidiasis, you have starve the yeast and add something to kill the yeast – whether it’s through herbs, homeopathy or as a last resort, pharma meds (I know many here choose not to go that route).

Have you looked into the Body Ecology Diet? It’s really a wonderful foundation to build on and is a diet based on 7 Universal Principles that was developed as an Anti-Candida diet. One of the principles is the Principles of Uniqueness and you can certainly do BED Raw…although I do think it’s good to get some cooked foods in one’s diet, especially in the colder, winter months. Tea, broths, soups, cooked grains, lightly steamed veggies, etc.

7. Rene Oswald says:

I like to puree it with celery, apples, sesame seeds, sea salt, ginger and nutmeg for a delicious soup. That recipe will be coming out in my Holiday eBook in the next couple weeks, along with a Raw Festive Pumpkin Yule Log recipe.

8. Samantha says:

Could you do some shows on how to stay Raw and warm during the colder months? I would appreciate it!

9. Brooke says:

I mostly carve pumpkins when I buy them, which means I only get them during Halloween. Although, I love the taste of them. This recipe has me wanting to incorporate pumpkin into more of what I eat ;-)

Great show! Keep it up!

10. Ricki, Chandler, AZ says:

I, also, would like to know what spices you have added. I can imagine nutmeg, clove, allspice, cinnamon, ginger, sea salt but would love to know Anne Marie’s specific recipe. Please post the recipe for us all! It looks AMAZING!!!

Sure appreciate your efforts.

Ricki

11. Amy G. says:

I too am wondering about the recipe for the pumkin bars and the candida. I am having trouble getting a good amount of carbs so I can exercise without fruit. Thank you!

12. Dave says:

Dear Annmarie,

Every year I take a couple of pumpkins and make pumpkin pudding. Basically I chop the pumpkin into slices, and cook (oh now, the ‘c’ word..) it until it is soft and then freeze it all up in freezer bags that I’ll pull out intermittently over the winter to use to turn into puddings and occasionally pies. I did this again recently. Okay the cooking part may not be what you want to hear, but I do make it vegan, using soy milk instead of dairy cream or milk, and I don’t use eggs anymore. However, you are making me think that I should try to do this sort of thing in the raw. No, not standing in the kitchen in my birthday suit, but trying a version of this minus the cooking…

I get inspired by these segments and I am right now thinking about heading to the store to get some pumpkin and pumpkin seeds. A couple of things weren’t clear in this video. Were the pumpkin seeds raw or cooked? I’ll assume raw… When did you eventually add the spices? What were the spices?

Thanksabunch

David

13. nigel says:

Here in the UK the really large pumpkins are being sold in some supermarkets as not for human consumpton. I dont know why this is but the ones that are being sold as good to eat are really small and very colourful.

It’a all very confusing… any idea why?

14. Tommi says:

I love your show, you both are so much fun. I usually make raw pumpkin cheesecake, plan to make a raw pumpkin pie and cookies this year. Also make Jack O’ Lantern, that is always fun to do. Think you forgot the spices! So cute!

15. Stacy says:

I was a teacher, so we predict how much the pumplin weighs, guess how many seeds are in it, etc…. we always dry the seeds and recycle the hull in some fashion.

Thanks for the great recipe!
    Stacy

16. Sarah says:

Just a note about my experience with Candida: if you completely starve the candida, they will go into hiding… and then the second you have a small amount of sugar or fruit or whatever, they will all come to the surface again. What has worked best for me is to eat as much fruit as I want (on an empty stomach) and avoid processed sugars of any kind. I probably eat anywhere from 4 to 8 servings of fruit a day now with no problem. I also take acidophilus daily. Hope this helps. :)

17. Jackie Ryan says:

I would also love to have the exact recipe.
    Every year we have a pumpkin carving party with the grandchildren and then we use the pumkin seeds for other delights. I’m getting ready to make my first raw pumpkin soup Per Raw Chef Bruce Horowitz.

18. Sophia says:

Glad you are enjoying the fall weather!!! I am too, and can’t wait to try the recipe.

19. Radu says:

Hi there
    as you guys know most of the organic pumpkin seeds come from China. Please post if you have a good a much better source.
    ps. same with pine nuts

regards
    Radu

20. Wanda says:

Hey what happened to the spices??? Which ones do you use?
    Sounds great!
    Thank you guys!

21. Nancy Zare says:

I’m guessing that you could substitute dates for the dried apricots. The apricots stay with the mellow yellow-orange color of the pumpkin. I’m eager to try the recipe as I recently purchased a small sugar pumpkin. There are different types. Has anyone used he jack-o-lantern type for food?

22. Betty says:

I didn’t see a printed recipe telling the amounts or all that goes into the bars.Will you give it to all us slower ones,of which I am the chief.
    Thanks,I want to make them,bur if I don’t do them right I know I’ll not try them again.
    Keep up the good work,love your episodes.

Betty in Ind.

23. so it’s okay to eat pumpkin raw?

what are the amounts of the ingredients? I missed what the powder was that you put in as well.

24. natalya says:

I will do pumpkin bars which you just demonstrated, because I usually do not know what to do with pumpkins.

25. bethany says:

Your shows keep getting better and better! I just bought a small pie pumpkin at the store today. I’ll keep it on the kitchen table for decoration a while, then I could try that recipe, but I don’t have a food processor, only a Vitamix.
    I am missing J-5! Please show him soon. I’m a huge cat lover.
    Thank you!

26. Suniiti says:

Hi
    awesome show.
    i have a question what would be the best food processor around. I have been raw for about 6 years, vegan for nearly 30 years. My processor is on its last legs with all that yummy processing!
    Love from New Zealand
    Suniiti x

27. Dory says:

Hi!
    How much shredded coconut flakes? Thanks! Have a great evening.

28. Moira says:

Would love to try this recipe, but at this time I cannot do the dried apricots..candida issue. Recently I was told that an underlying gluten intolerance is at the root of the candida problem, for me, so must eliminate that to take care of the real reason I have the candida, which I have been fighting for years and it has just gotten to be worse and worse. So Sarah, wondering if you are managing your candida with fruit and acidopholus because of proper food combining which I understand is of paramount importance, and it seems most raw food people don’t do? Or am I wrong about that Kevin? I was trying to go raw, but I think I need to address the candida first. Using multiple things to try to eradicate the deeply entrenched overgrowth and then eventually work to get it under control. One thing that I am using is Caproyl along with a few other things and having colonics and ozone and oxygen sauna to handle the die off. It seems there are so many different schools of thought and I wonder if the same thing does not always work for everyone?

I love these Renegade shows, because they keep me motivated to keep trying to improve my eating habits. Thanks!!

29. Steve says:

Hey guys –
    You may think that I’m crazy, but I make a smoothie with Pumpkin, Peanut Butter, and sometimes a little bit of rice milk to thin it out.
    I usually use the canned organic pie filling (pure packed) which has no additional spices added.
    I know it has vitamin A from the pumpkin and protein from the PB.
    And believe it or not, it actually tastes pretty good !

I haven’t tried it with a fresh pumpkin.
    How do you know when they are ripe?

– Steve

30. Jill says:

Sounds interesting and tasty :)

31. Natalie M Laatz says:

Pumpkin bar recipe looks awesome, what a brilliant fall festive idea. my dad’s name is Frank Guiglio! So close

32. brian says:

I would steam the rind and the filling. I would dehydrate the seeds and grind them.

33. Hello again,

Thanks for all who have responded to the candida topic. I know this isn’t a candida related episode but it just seems that candida is always a topic that’s on the tips of every bodies tongue because of how prevalent it has become in today’s society. I believe it’s the largest and most devastating, undiagnosed pandemic in the world.

It seems so funny that I have Candida when I have helped many people with the issue. I’ve been addicted to sugar since I was a kid, had all sorts of allergy problems (I have now reduced the allergies to 5% of what they used to be and am on the path to fully eliminate them), diagnosed ADHD, and was a “problem child”. Since taking full responsibility for my health, 99% of my past probelms have been eliminated but sugar has still been an issue. Since my “awakening” many years ago, I have exchanged refined sugar for fruit sugar (dried fruit, honey, etc) but sugar is sugar to candida (as I understand it) and still rears its ugly head just to let me know it’s still there.

The only symptoms I currently have are rectal itching and a small fungus patch (athletes foot) between 1 of my toes which only flares up with higher sugar consumption. They both get worse when I eat too sugar of any kind (fruit included). Those are the only symptoms I have. I had red patches under my arm pits that were super itchy but left during my last anti-candida campaign (caused by indulging in vicarious amounts of tropical fruit when traveling SE Asia and Australia).

My regime:

No sugars, very little starches, no fruit.
    No bread or any of the yeasty-no-nos. (grapes, peanuts, mushrooms)
    No wheat or glutenous cereals (a little spelt)
    No carrots, or beets or cooked roots that have large amounts of sugar. This I found out the hard way through eating cultured veggies with loads of beets and carrots. After 2 weeks, the candida was worse than before.

Supplements:
    CandidaStop by NewRoots:
    -Vitamin A (Beta-Carotene: 6,000 i.u.
    -Pau d’Arco (inner bark & wild crafted)
    extract 4:1 50 mg P.E.) = 200 mg
    -Grapefruit Seed Extract Concentrate 100 mg
    -Echinacea Angustifolia Root (4% extract 15:1 50 mg P.E.) = 750 mg
    -Caprylic Acid Magnesium (short chain fatty acid from coconut oil) 180 mg
    -Caprylic Acid Calcium (short chain fatty acid from coconut oil) 180 mg
    -Caprylic Acid Zinc(short chain fatty acid from coconut oil) 40 mg
    -Odourless Super Garlic (10,000 mcg of Allicin per gm) 125 mg
    -Black Walnut Hulls (extract 4:1 16 mg P.E.) 64 mg
    -Suma (Pfaffia Paniculata) 100 mg
    -Selenium (Yeast free L-Selenomethionine) 50 mcg
    -Oregano extract powder (wild) 30% carvacrol 80 mcg

I take 6 capsules a day of the above mixture. I am also eating fresh raw garlic, drinking Pau d’Arco tea, taking 10 drops of 1:1 strength grapefruit seed extract 2X day, and I’m taking 4 capsules of probiotics daily. I have taken 3 different kinds of probiotics in the last 2 months. 1 has been enteric coated, one was a heat stable brand (Primal force), and the one I’m taking now. They are all 11 billion.

I’m taking digestive plant enzymes before every meal to help aid in digestion so the transit time is decreased. (less time for the yeast to feed) My bowl function is good due to a Dr. Schultz colon cleanse and numerous fasts. (plus the fact I do yoga every day, meditate to relieve stress (hardly any), eat 50-80g fiber a day plus loads of filtered water)

My problem: Even with my regime, my candida symptoms seem to flair up again and again, even when no sugar has been consumed. Could fat metabolism and consumption play a role somehow? Has anyone read or experienced the role of fat in a candida overgrowth? I am experiencing some negative side effects of fat metabolism (tiny bits of acne and larger than normal pours in my skin especially around my nose, possibly due to adverse reactions to certain nuts??). I think the next step will have to be Dr. Jensen’s bowl care program and probiotic loaded enemas. Sounds like fun….lol

Kevin and AnnMarie, Have you ever thought about adding a health forum to your site where your fans could talk about specific health topics? I think it would be an awesome idea. This way specific topics would be able to be searched and categorized and questions asked and answered (just add it to your todo list ok lol)

Thanks so much everyone,

Jordan

34. Marijana says:

I just love all kinds of pumpkins so I make all sorts of food with it: soups, salads, cookies, pies, cakes, rawtatuille, … What ever I come up with!

35. Marijana says:

BTW I love your blog!

36. Carolyn says:

YOu missed putting the amount of shredded coconut … :-) how much please.
    Great show! love and blessings Carolyn

37. Nathalie says:

Hi Guys :)

I use raw pumpkin for soups mainly but sometimes I like to munch on it like an apple, hmmm so good, and sweet!

I’ve never done the carving pumpkin thing. Would love to though!

Australia isn’t that big with Halloween. I mean we know when it is and I used to do trickle-treat as a kid but lots of homes never had sweets ready, and some people were really rude because they thought we were rude knocking on their door. Some people would even ask what they were supposed to do, but they were mainly sweet old people.
    Different areas equalled different responses!

However, I also never seem to see the pumpkin you showed in your clip around anywhere, we have butternut pumpkins and the green/orange coloured one mainly.

Hopefully I will be attending my first Halloween Party this year though, I just gotta find out what to wear!

Thanks for your beaut recipe, mwah!

38. Didiydi says:

Sorry, OT, few notes on candida:
    - In my 2 years experience with it, it is imperative to be very strict with the diet. Diet is of paramount importance and no amount of anti-fungals or probiotics will help. Jordan, if you eat a “little bit” of spelt you are still feeding it because it’s a gluten type of grain. Same as wheat. You wonder why it’s still there, yet you eat honey and dry fruits. There should be no sugars whatsoever, and certainly not dry fruits. In my experience cultured beets and carrots are fine, as the sugars in it ate eaten by bacteria. Was that die-off maybe?
    - very strict means soy sauce without gluten, cooked carbs to a minimum (50g or brown rice max/day), no cooked starchy vegetables- cauliflower, broccoli- should be raw. Certainly no potatoes or sweet potatoes or pumpkin in any form.
    - Candida is ALWAYS linked with other issues- parasites, amalgam fillings. It will keep coming back until you solve the other two. If you have amalgam getting rid of candida is futile and harmful because it binds mercury on it and protects the body actually. Rectal itching are parasites. It also has it’s roots in the emotional body, so some emotional work needs to be done to get rid of the ‘fungus’ in our emotions- think stuck, numb, unclear…
    - for me the only reason I am not 100% fine (although I do feel great immediately after one day of strict diet) is because I do keep cheating. And that is because I still haven’t figured out the right food for my body. I am hungry on raw diet, and start craving animal products after a while. I usually get hungry some 2h after green smoothie (that has no fruits, only red pepper as a sweetener). So occasionally I eat some sardines and raw dairy.
    - on fats- I heard it feeds candida, but when transitioning from high carb cooked diets it helps a lot to get the calories and re-train the body how to get nutrients. Usually body stops craving it and asks for less. I have cravings for raw butter every few weeks, don’t know why…

39. Sandi Seegert says:

I still like to cook mine and make holiday pies, etc from them but now am excited to try this recipe! My dogs eat raw veggies and I’m sure that they will love this too! (I’ll eat them too, not just my spoiled pugs!) Thanks again and if you’re ever down Florida way, please let me know. I’ve got several people who would appreciate your ideas. Keep spreading the word!

40. kristine says:

Well, I liked the first question of the day! I Love SANTA FE! I miss it soooooo much this time of year. Canyon road is so wonderful. Can’t get enough of the smell of pinon in the air, the balloon fest in Albuq., and the little cafes for tea or coffee. There are some really funky healthy restaurants too. And green chile and red chile. Oh my oh my oh my. Hope you are going to Ten Thousand Waves. yeah, can you tell I love it? My husband and I got married at the Loretto chapel with the miraculous staircase. Sigh.

41. Maggie says:

Sounds like a great recipe. How much coconut do you put and when do you add the spices?

42. Beth says:

I have had a hard time converting my autumn baking to raw recipes.
    Last night I made pumpkin pie muffins, and pumpkin custard. Tonight is pumpkin cheesecake. All cooked though, not raw.

Think I’ll give your recipe a try and refrigerate it (no dehydrator).

43. Beth says:

Annmarie,

Just printed the recipe and it doesn’t show how much coconut you put in.
    Can you update the recipe?
    Thanks!

44. Leam says:

This recipe looks delicious – “tastes like cookie dough” I love it! You guys are great. I will definitely be making these. Thanks for sharing such great ideas, as usual.

I love pumpkin (and other winter squash as well) in sweet and savory dishes. The recipes I use are all for cooking or baking so this recipe is a nice change. I like the idea of shaping it into balls and letting them firm up in the frig. They probably could be rolled in additional coconut or ground seeds if they remain sticky – almost like peanut butter balls.

45. Andréa says:

Love all your recepies! You helped me convert my husband to raw!!!

46. Alena Liska says:

Kevin, Annemarie and friends…
    My family have been herbalists for centuries… we first change the diet. In severe cases must take care of Yeast (let your healthcare provider help you) overgrowth because it can shape-shift from fungal to yeast and attack organs(so please don’t stop eating!) by changing diet (eliminate mushroom/yeast in any form as well as carbs. Strictly consuming lots of low glycemic vegetables and protein), adding PROBIOTICS with something for them to grow on.
    I have a traditional herb if anyone is sruggling with candidiasis. Actually two herbs that help the pH of gut, make it impossible for the yeast overgrowth to flourish WITHOUT DIE-OFF Usually. Contact me at alenaliska@yahoo.com

The slightly sweeter, small sugar-pie-pumpkins are cultivated for human use, more golden inside and the flavor is more intense. The other Jack-o-lantern is bland, whiter flesh originally raised for animal feed.

47. We make Spooky Juice with our punkins! Juice 1/2 pie punkin. Fill a glass about 1/3 of the way with some of the punkin juice and then fill the rest of the way with some local apple cider! MMMM! My kid said that she though cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg would have been good in it, too. Next time!

Lisa Marie Lindenschmidt
    Rite Food and Company

48. Carol Lani Johnson says:

I would like to try using a candy roaster which is an Appalachian pumpkin/squash that can get to 60 lbs!!! It is the sweetest pumpkin around! I will be looking for one, but it can be challenging to locate one that is for sure organic. Lots of the local NC farmers grow them for their families and for local markets.

49. Debra says:

Hello! This looks delicicious! HOW much coconut was added in when
    Anne Marie made it, and was it dried coconut? Thanks!!!!

50. Ariane says:

I ferment pumpkin with onions and whatever veggies I want!

Since Kevin & Ann Marie recipe is a bad food combining, they should at least soak the pumpkin seeds ans sun seeds. That would eliminate the enzyme inhibitors and start the pre-digestion process.

51. Jense Anjali says:

Until watching this show, I didn’t really think about that fact that for many years all I’ve done with pumpkins is to smile and wave at them looking so sweet lined up at all of the roadside stands I drive past. They are one of the pleasures of fall. ;D

52. Genevieve says:

I love pumpkin anything. I do make pumpkin cheesecakes and pumpkin muffins with chunks of candied ginger especially. At this time of the year with our temperatures dropping in Canada (minus 5 this morning)my body wants hot foods. I love being raw in the summer but just can’t do it in the winter, so I transition to cooked and put on the pounds that I lost over the summer! I try to stay at least half raw though.

I am intrigued by Steve’s smoothie recipe above, as well as Lisa’s Spooky Juice. Both sound wonderful.

I generally use the smaller pie pumpkins, cutting them in half and placing them in the oven on a cookie sheet, cut side down with a little water added and roasting them until soft. Then scoop out the flesh, feeding the seeds to the birds (or drying them in the oven for consumption) and use it in recipes. Freezes well in one cup portions.

I’ve also used chunks of the larger pumpkins in minestrone soup. It is good too, just more watery and with less flavour. Perfectly fine to eat though.

53. PE says:

I was about to reply to nigel’s and Nancy Zare’s concerns about larger pumpkins, when Alena Liska (#44) did it for me.
    But then Carol (#46) explained about candy roasters, apparently both large and tasty, unlike stringy Jack-o-lanterns, and THAT’s why I like the exchange of info here. Together we know more than any of us.
    Still not quite clear on ‘right’ ways to cure/avoid candidiasis, though. Evidently small sins topple several approaches. And cutting back sugars, starches and fats leaves protein and alcohol, with their effects on kidney and liver, so apart from avoiding concentrated sugars and dried fruit, and not eating fruit WITH fat, there’s no practical pattern yet.
    oh…What do I do with my pumpkins? That’s a bit personal, but I display them in various ways– only not in the raw, Dave has the topless advantage there.

54. Gayle says:

Pumpkin soup! I envy you two driving around the good’ol USA in a motorhome. I check in every day to see what city you guys are in next, like watching a Raw Travel/Food Channel. I live vicariously through your episodes.

Keep it up!

55. Connie says:

We wait until the price of pumpkins go down (beginning of November) and then buy and puree a few for future pumpkin pies and other such recipes (cooked, sorry). In years gone by I used to peel off the skins, chop flesh into chunks small enough to fit into chute of food processor, shred, steam until soft, puree, measure into portions for specific recipes, then freeze. The seeds were scooped out and washed, then salted and roasted in the oven. Yummy!

It was such a huge production, but hubby wanted his pumpkin pies so I put myself through it every year. Eventually I learned the puree is better (not so wet, less water to drain off) if we roasted the pumpkin instead. In recent years I haven’t bothered much (I don’t bake much anymore and always had more pumpkin puree than I could use) but this summer I started a garden again and planted some old pumpkin seeds with the expectation of having fresh organic pumpkin this year. One did finally sprout, but there was no fruit and the plant itself never made it beyond 8 or 10 inches high, and then the frost killed everything.

Hubby and daughter looked longingly at the pumpkins at the store the other day and I told them–wait until November–but then I bought two cans of pure (non-seasoned) pumpkin puree on sale at half price. MUCH less work, lol.

So…I can try this recipe. Sounds like somethng everyone might enjoy, especially hubby. I have everything except the dried apricots, so I will try it with dates.

Thanks so much for the inspiration!

Connie
    Home and School Solutions

56. Cindy says:

Thanks for the recipe. i’ve never eaten raw pumpkin but I will try it in these bars as they look great.
    I would like to know exactly how much shredded coconut you used as you didn’t list it on the recipe (I guessed 1/2 cup but would like to be sure). Also what could you use instead of apricots that wouldn’t destroy the taste or flavour and would still act as a binding agent. I am not eating any dried fruit right now and also there are always preservatives/additives in dried apricots so i never use them. Are there any in the ones you use? I live in Australia so I’m not sure if that makes a difference. Thanks again and have a great day.
    P.S. Jordan Lidster, did you watch the RHS episodes 383 & 384 with Dr Douglas Graham who spoke about fats and candida? I found it very interesting. Hope it helps

57. Emmy says:

Looks tasty…
    I love the smiley face at the end ;)

thanks for all the vids!!!

-Emmy

58. Tina says:

Raw Pumkin pie!

59. Carolina says:

I’ve never made anything with pumpkin but I think I will now. (Nice face at the end Kevin)

60. Here in Israel we have many different types and pumpkins throughout the year. I have tried it blended with some dates , I must confess that I enjoy it cooked best. I do eat a few cooked things, but stick to a mainly high raw foods regime

61. kasandra says:

MMMmm Pumpkin Bars look like Yummy fun, I am soakin the seeds tonight, to make tomorrow!
    and using soaked (dried Figs) cause that is what I have on hand!
    The recipe was there below but no measure of coconut! looked like about a cup on the video…
    Wowo thanks for sharing!!! gonna get creative cause I feel inspired!!!
    Your sow is so much FUn!

62. Jessica says:

Normally I just look at the pumpkins, or sometimes draw faces on them with markers, but I think I might adventure to try some raw pumpkin now :)

By the way, IMO, cayenne pepper is an excellent fighter of yeast, along with eating right to alkalize your body. Just make a little fire juice, 1/4 tsp cayenne in half a cup of water. I heard something about the cayenne touching your tongue helps prepare your stomach for what’s coming…

Everyone’s body is different, but cayenne has helped me a bunch.

63. B&E says:

RAW PUMPKIN STICKS ARE GTEAT.

64. Chris & Sara says:

MMMmm Ive had a hankerin for Pumpkin lately… so THANK YOU for this awesome rawsome recipe!!!

We usually have a pumpkin carving contest with my mom in Cali and roast the seeds. We are undefeated so far. :)

Aloha and Mahalo!!

C&S

65. Linda says:

How much coconut was called for in the recipe?

Thanks, I love your recipe segments!

66. michele Owen says:

Hugs,
    Michele

67. Lila says:

WOW! Raw pumpkin bars–awesome. Try them with a raw cream cheese frosting!!!!!

68. apettera says:

Just made these “pumpkin bars”….eww…..not good at all! There is something abour raw squash/raw pumpkin that is just such a turn off. Taste NOTHING like pumpkin bars. Need to find a new name for them so you aren’t thinking they will taste anything like pumpkin bars. Luckily I had some cream cheese frosting left over in the fridge. Had to put a little bit on there to get those suckers down! ;-)

69. maria says:

I usually baked and whip my squash, or turn it into pumpkin bars, but have been interested in how to use it raw, so this was interesting. I was also wondering(the diy-er in me) how I would manage to use my own pumpkin seeds. Yours are already green and dry. I just can’t fathom scooping them out and managing to split the skins off, how is that done? I grow my own but then give the seeds to my birds, who like them!. And then I go buy some for me for about $ 7.00 per pound ……what’s wrong with this picture?!

70. Rosemarie says:

I buy many pumpkins for the holiday, I usually don’t cut them since they rot.

I scoop out the seeds and (used to ) fry in a little oil and salt and eat. I will now eat them raw or make balls out of them.
    What I do not eat and I have lots leftover I toss into the woods for the deer, they love pumpkins, they are bake there in a hour of my tossing. Also I found out that pumpkin seeds help chickens to ward of paracites, so they will get some.
    I guess I will be buying more this year. I also like hubbard squash the meat has less moisture that might be good for this dessert.

71. Aleise Lundberg says:

what was the amount for the coconut

72. Joanne says:

Were the pumpkin and sunflower seeds and apricots soaked first?

73. Joanne says:

Re: Candida.

No combining fruits with fats. I eat my fruit and greens throughout the day and leave my fat serving (ie” nuts, seeds, etc) for “supper”. Nothing after that until my fruit the next morning.

Also, look into “Threelac” for Candida. I started on this supplement 3 months ago with great results!I even have to have it sent to me from the US to Canada and it is worth the extra cost.Go to http://www.candidafree.net. Alyson and Mark are great!

So, does not combining fruits and fats rule out most desserts – yup! I have them very sparingly, which should be the rule for any dessert really. Today is my birthday and my son is 16 tomorrow and I just made a raw “ice cream” cake which does combine fats and sugars but I won’t eat something like that again for months …and with the Threelac I really do not worry about it when I do indulge.

HTH:-) Threelac is fantastic!
    Joanne

74. zyxomma says:

I love making live pumpkin soup, live pumpkin pie, and live pumpkin bread (mix with soaked seeds or nuts, ground flaxseed, & spices, form into small balls, spread on Teflex sheet or parchment paper, then dehydrate at 105). I USED to make cooked pumpkin soups, pies, cakes, etc., but changed my ways. In addition to “traditional” pumpkin spices (nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger), mace, cloves, and cardamom add a lot to pumpkin recipes, as does a good curry powder. While the pumpkins are plentiful, don’t be afraid to experiment. At worst, you won’t like it & you’ll have compost. At best, you’ll have a recipe to share, treasure, and pass on to the world. Health and peace.

75. Tsivya says:

I made up blending pumpkin with mango and some cayenne and cumin. Delicious pumpkin/mango soup and takes about 1 minute to make.

76. zyxomma says:

OK, the pumpkin/winter squash soup I made today was so good I thought I’d share it. Scrub 2-3 lbs. (about 1000 grams) of pumpkin or winter squash. Remove stems and seeds. Cut into chunks, place in Vitamix. Add 1 T. curry powder, 2 T. lucuma powder, 1 T. red or royal maca, and to your taste, cinnamon, nutmeg, mace, star anise, allspice, cloves, powdered vanilla bean, and cardamom. Add 1 small clove garlic and one small shallot. Cover with nut mylk or seed mylk (I used hempseed mylk, since I had it on hand). Add 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt. Blend, starting at low speed, increasing speed till thoroughly blended. Adjust seasonings as needed (if not sweet enough, add more lucuma, or yacon syrup, or raw honey, or dark agave). Continue blending until soup is warm to the touch. Pour into large bowls, drizzle with cold-pressed nut oil (I used hazelnut, but almond, walnut, or any good quality organic nut or seed oil will work — if I’d had it, I would have used pumpkin seed oil — however, flaxseed oil would taste too strong, so I don’t recommend it). Finish with a grind of Himalayan salt. Enjoy it in health and peace, with my compliments.

77. Linda Stone says:

Kevin I would like to know who did the research on soaking nuts. Why they are more nutrious if they are soaked and if the fat content is really lowered 40%. An any info on the inhibitor that protect the seed and why this must be removed; animals that eat seeds do not soak them do they?