A Woman’s Herbal Formula for Cycles – The Renegade Health Show Episode #410

Monday Oct 5 | BY |

We spent the weekend in Sedona at the One Spirit Weekend…

It was great to be around some of the conscious people and just relax a bit. 🙂

I ran into Rehmannia (Dean from the Shaman Shack) and we talked herbs for woman’s health and for the cycles.

Your question of the day: What is your favorite herb?

You can find out more about Rehmannia here: www.ShamanShack.info

1. Stephaine says:

Chamomile, get for menstral cramps.

2. Melody says:

I like to make catnip tea and put raw honey in it.

3. crow says:

Wow, that is a good question. I don’t believe I can limit it to one. Good episode Kevin.

4. Angela says:

Good information. I really want to start drinking this tea (or find the supplement). I am breastfeeding right now, so I don’t feel comfortable taking it until I am finished. Also want to mention that a couple months ago a commenter to one of the videos wrote about how they rotate coconut, hemp,olive, and flax oils for their skin regimine. Along with hot washcloth and finish with a cold splash of water. I really appreciate the info commenters leave after the video. Thanks to you all!

5. Kathryn says:

It’s nice to learn about different things, but it is nicer to learn about things that one can aquire sustainably. Asian plants in the US have a history of becoming noxious weeds. Could we attempt to focus on native herbs and plants (no offense to speaker and his wisdom). Also I have to grin any time men sit around talking about women’s health….I go to female physicians for a very good reason 🙂

6. Victoria says:

Cilantro!!! It spoke to me once and said one of it’s jobs is to help calm and heal the mental/emotional stress I feel in my mind.

7. Shannon says:

I like rosemary because it’s delicious.
    I like Pau D’arco and Licorice because they have been great immune boosters for me.
    I like raspberry leaf for women’s health.

8. Martha says:

Thanks for showing us herbs on the show! Where would our health be without them? I know where mine was! Pleurisy root is my favorite herb for the allergy and asthma symptoms we suffer from in SE Texas! It is also got rid of a big wart on my son’s hand!

9. Dawni says:

Hi, Kevin:

Informative segment. I learned something quite useful related to moisture and the internal oxidation of blood. Interesting.

I am truly into tonic herbs at the moment. In 2007, I spent time on retreat in the Crestone Mountains and was given my first true tonic herbs by a wonderful man. It was a mix of Schizandra berries, Astragalus, and Lychii berries for overall rejuvenation, to fortify my immune system and beautify my skin. I loved the lift and the results.

It is on my mind to share today as I just found a few unopened bags yesterday of that concoction called Opti-Mystic. I immediately cooked a batch in my slow cooker and am enjoying the lift. More and more, I understand why they are so useful.

Now look at the attention to these tonic herbs. I use Tibetan, and Taoist herbal systems. I am interested in learning more about Shamanic herbal systems in the Americas.

Angela – thanks for mentioning the rotation of oils for skincare — I missed that one. I’ll give it a try.

Dawni

10. Rawbecca says:

Love his work! Great show…Great info!
    I have been experimenting with Poria & Dong Quai recently…it has been super grounding and calming for me…love it. 🙂

11. jes says:

Good show. I think I grew poria once while I was living in Texas. I made a mushroom garden out there.

I like all the herbs!

12. cheryl says:

Hi good show. but were do we find herbs like that around hear. I like ginger root in fresh pineapple juice blended together. yummmm.

13. Lois Kubota says:

Do I have to go to an herbalist to find the stuff or will my health food store carry this?

14. Prvbs31Mama says:

I love red raspberry leaf tea for womens health!
    It’s great to balance pms symptoms, great for toning the uterus during pregnancy, and awesome for boosting breastmilk! All round good stuff!

15. Eranah says:

I was just wondering this about today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had a chinese doctor who strongly discouraged raw foods (even though I knew it would help me) because he said my spleen qi deficient. Thanks so much!

16. Dr J says:

How many times did he say “CHI” ?

17. Kym Hutcheon says:

Yeah, well, chi (ki ?) is kind of important, Dr. J. 😉

I don’t know much (anything) about the use of Chinese medicine in the US, but I get the feeling these formulas are very overpowered. The general concept is to support the body as it rights itself over a period of time. Maybe there is too much focus on becoming energized?

Sure would like to see the rest of this interiew though.

18. Thanks Kevin,
    My favorite herb would be garlic…of course there are so many! I really enjoyed the show!

Here’s a challenge: What herbs help postmenopausal woman who retain water?

Mary MacIntyre

19. Tara Lehner says:

I love herbs, too bad I only know a few. There is so many to learn. I think, though that my favorite so far is comfrey. It is so powerful, a hidden secret:) This show went by so fast, I was sad!

20. Jude Manche says:

Hello from OZ. I have been transitioning to raw and find that I am feeling cold a lot of the time and so I found this show really helpful. Would like to know the spelling of all those herbs (I know poria from the above replies) could not quite hear clearly the names. Very interesting about the yin foods, I kinda thought this might be as since altering the balance to more alkalizing foods I have been feeling much cooler. Still I would like to warm up my hands and feet

21. Brenda says:

hmm, geesh, favorite herb? I am a naturopath, I play with herbs for healing all the time. Ask me this question next week and you will probably get a differnt answer, I’ll go with Holy Basil today. It does so much including, uplifts, calms and nurishes for health and enlightenment.

22. kasandra says:

Just ONe Herb !!!! There are so Many and Wow!
    I think today my favorite is fennel,,,,it feels soothing and nurturing to my adrenals! I have loved DOng Quai. over the years, for its warming. As well I want to check out Poria…..Great Show Informative and Inspiring!!! Like ALways!!! 😉

23. Irregular periods can be extremely tough or even unbearable to track. Irregular periods are common in unfertile women. However, many women are very confused about the relation between irregular periods and their infertility.

24. Didiydi says:

Thanks, great show, and I loved the info. I have a weak spleen, which is why it’s hard for me to go raw. Not sure where and if I can find those herbs in London?
    Lately I’ve been drinking Tulsi Brahmi tea for my weak adrenals and i love it. Also sometimes I make a tea out of pau d’arco, reishi mushrooms and crushed purple corn kernels. It feels grounding and boosts my immunity.

25. Jan says:

Tea is my thing. I grow lemon balm and rosemary they make wonderful tea mixed together. Also use mint as tea. In my garden I have 3 different kinds of rosemary, one lemon balm (it spreads) and 5 mint plants(they spread but I use them so much they do not cause a problem). I make tea from these daily. I brought some herbs in for winter. This is the first year I have tried to dry some of the herbs but think I will prefer to have fresh herbs for winter. Next year I plan to have a large bay window in my home and will be able to keep more herbs for winter.

26. Lori Ann says:

Kevin, great info… but it would be great if you could spell those herbs & more of what to do with them. I’m always FREEZING & would love to warm up my hands & feet & by the sounds of it these herbs would help me.

Love your shows!
    You guys rawk!

27. Page says:

I have lemon balm and rosemary in my garden as well. I also have basil (thai,lemon & globe), parsley, fennel, and dill. And I have a very healthy ginger plant that I started from a root I got at Whole Foods. I love freshly harvested ginger. Tarragon and thyme are also among my favorites, but I don’t grow them.
    I have found that adding about 3/4 of a teaspoon of maca in my morning smoothies has greatly calmed my monthly aches.

28. Jeni says:

Hi Kevin

Choosing s fav ourite her is tough byt I guess the one I cant get enough of is Basil. Such good taste and great to make pesto with. Nothing can substitute for that one.

Good vidoes great work. great stuff kevin and Anne marie.

29. Leam says:

Thank you – really interesting show. I have been fascinated by chinese medicine for years. So much to learn! I too like astragalus to boost the immune system. I’ve found it really helps in preventing colds. I love that you noticed the color of the chinese herbs. I believe astragalus actually means yellow leader in Chinese.
    I also love bay laurel – bay leaves make a wonderful tea for a cough.
    Absolutely have more shows like this!

Off the subject, I want to thank you for the show archives. I have been incorporating the old fitness friday routines into my own fitness routines. I especially appreciate the one for better balance. Thanks so much for the work you do.

30. Patty says:

I liked the information about all of the herbs that he talked about. What I would like to know is where to get them from and how in the heck do you spell the names of those specific herbs.

31. Julie says:

Great show, I am into the stage of my life with hot flashes and I see so many others suffering with that also. I have found I no longer have hot flashes when I drink alkaline water. I also drink differnt teas thorughout my week. Good alkaline water is so helpful. If I stop drinking it they come back. For more info check http://www.youralkalinebody.com for a healthier you and family.

32. Tyra McMahon says:

Awesome show. Thank you! I hope you interview him again. Very informative and interesting.

I am on a bunch of chinese herbs right now. My doctor also wasn’t for the raw foods. He said your body has to cook them. I do better with blended raw foods that are easy to digest and also not cold raw food.

I had to make a tea every morning and drink it. It tasted pretty nasty but I sure got energy from it. But it did interfere with sleep so now we are trying them in capsulation.

I think he is so right about combining the herbs with raw foods. Will make a difference with the spleen.

My all time favourite is cilantro. Just love it in my smoothies. Havn’t a favourite yet of root herbs.

Do you guys take any chinese herbs???

33. Tommy says:

Licorice root makes a delicious tea.

34. PE says:

Leam, it’s the Chinese name of Astragalus, huang qi, that means yellow leader.
    The greek genus name is from the talus or ankle bone that lets us mammals walk so flexibly.
    The herb’s tarot card is the Magician, seeking in the crystal ball for infinity.

35. Chris & Sara says:

Such great info! And great timing.
    In fact I am reading 2 AMAZING Books about herbs right now:

Growing and Using the Healing Herbs
    as well as
    Hawaiian Healing Herbs.

Such ancient knowledge. I had no idea…

THANK YOU!!!

36. Sheryl says:

Realize there is no such thing as a monthly cycle. God did not mean for women to go around with a pad between there legs or to experience such discomfort. Notice the symptoms are pain, draining of energy etc. These are not of God. One can stop the process by first not accepting it as truth. Studies have shown that Nuns who have been at the Convent for a certain length of time their monthly cycle stops. Children who are born Raw/Vegans if told the truth do not experience such a thing. Women who believe it will stop a 50 years of age will make it stop. It has to first do with belief, your Spiritual self, your diet, & the big one sustaining from sex except to create a child. One must keep the body pure in order to stop the cycle. When a person uses the body for sex sensations (which is Human) the energy turns downward and creates a negative vortex around the genital area. If a person holds the attention on God and off this area – then the energy is drawn upwards to create magnificient manifestions and ideas and Eternal Youth. God knows the intentions of the Person and if they are using it for self gratification. Realize the energy released through impure sex activity is a Liquid Light which is your Life. It is courage, Strength that we need to move forward. What a Waste of Life. Good Day

37. tessa nisbet says:

ashwagandha is a daily tonic for me – and has always tested positive with muscle testing – nurtures so much of the feminine…. .i don’t have any female ‘problems’ and never have so i can’t say for this! ashwagandha – according to david frawley and vasant ladd – ayurvedic practitioners – banyan botanicals is a great organic source – in ‘the yoga of herbs is :

‘that which has the smell of a horse as it gives the vitality and sexual energy of a horse (i was once told that a horse is a personal sign of mine)
    energetics: bitter astringent sweet/heating/sweet
    VK- P & ama + – in excess (this means it helps to lower the vata and kapha energies in you and raises your pitta plus any ama (toxins) you may have
    tissues affected: muscle fat bone marrow and nerve reproductive
    sytems affected: reproductive nervous respiratory
    actions: tonic rejuvenative aphrodisiac nervine sedative astringent
    indications: general debility sexual debility nerve exhaustion convalescence problems of old age emaciation of children loss of memory loss of muscular energy spermatorrhea overwork tissue deficiency insomnia paralysis multiple sclerosis weak eyes rheumatism skin afflictions cough difficult breathing anemia fatigue infertility glandular swelling
    precautions: high ama severe congestion
    preparation: decoction milk decoction powder (250mg – 1 g) paste medicated ghee medicated oil
    ashwagandha holds a place in the ayurvedic pharmacolgy similar to ginseng in chinese medicine yet it is far less expensive it is the best rejuvenative herb particularly for muscles marrow and semen and for vata constitution it is used in all conditions of weakness and tissue deficiency in children the elderly and those debilitated by chronic diseases those suffering from overwork lack of sleep or nervous exhaustion
    for such regenerative purposes it can be taken as milk decocotion to which may be added raw sugar honey pippali and basmati rice as such it inhibits aging and catalyses the anabolic processes of the body sattvic in quality it is one of the best herbs for the mind upon which it is nurturing and clarifying it is calming and promotes deep dreamless sleep
    ashwagandha is a good food for weak pregnant women it helps to stabalize the fetus it also regenerates the hormonal system promotes healing of the tissues and can be used externally on wounds sores etc. 5 grams of the powder can be taken twice a day in warm milk or water sweetened with raw sugar’

38. Genevieve says:

Favourite herb? I love them all and grow many. I cook with them and also use them in raw juices. Peppermint makes a lovely addition to greens juice.

Mary asked about diuretic herbs — the mint family are good diuretics.

39. Debra says:

I like that Vitamineral Earth by Healthforce nutritionals – I think you guys are just selling the Green right now. I put in on my smoothies and green ‘puddings’ and it’s really yummy. Very grounding.

40. My alltime favorite–for healing–osha. Never found any infection or inflammation it didn’t cure.
    My favorites in the garden—comfrey because it covers a huge territory, is pretty, is indestructible, and I have it on hand if I need it. Borage, because it brings the bees to my garden and I eat the flowers. Yum! Mint because my granddaughter calls it candy–the only kind I want to give her. Basil because it tastes so good. Rhubarb is yummy and also creates a huge space that I don’t have to mow.

41. Linda Miller says:

Could these herbs be spelled for us so we can look for them?

42. Sandra says:

sage… above all, but love dill and sellery and ginger and parsley, rosemary and thyme …
    so a whole love song for our herbs and mother earth and sun and sky …
    thanks again so much for your show and your guest

maria, five, loves it, too…

take care awesome rawsome sunnyfoody maria and sandra

43. Jehan Sandra Salem says:

Kevin, is just an idea. Could you do a program about the foods containing B17 and the story behind if cancer is a nutritional deficiency? I’ve been reading lately at the inet, and I cross with this lady from Canada, Hulda Regehr Clark that says every type of cancer is related to specific parasites. Then this other guy his name is Jim Humble created a supplement MMS, and he says that it cures Malaria and also HIV, some cancers, etc. (Which keep some relation with the theory of the Canadian researcher. And then is it true that raw apricot kernels are forbidden by the FDA? Maybe you will find interesting this cocktail.

My favorite herb is aloe vera, I have two pots in my kitchen, so it made me smile when Susan Smith talked about how a “must have in the kitchen” this plant is.

44. Mari says:

Thank you for all the great info! I really love Basil, the smell is intoxicating! Also the Ayurvedic herb Triphala, An observation, but Rehmannia, really has over worked Kidneys, his undereye area is puffy & dark. Makes me wonder what he is consuming.

45. Miki says:

A shout out for Raspberry Leaf Tea for women’s issues, especially cramps! I used to get horrible cramps during my period – no physical issues, just intense pain that caused loss of consciousness, vomiting and diarrhea. So, instead of coffee during those days, I drink Raspberry Leaf Tea. No nausea, no vomiting, no other disgusting stuff to deal with and I am no longer blacking out 6-7 times from the pain, or loosing days of productivity. Caulophylum Thalictroids (Blue Cohosh) is also very helpful but the Raspberry Leaf Tea is a miracle worker!!

Question for Rehmannia: how does iron “rust” in the body?