How Many Leafy Greens Should I Eat? – The Renegade Health Show Episode #404

Friday Sep 25 | BY |

Last night, Dr. Doug Graham and I did an event in St. George, Utah…

After we both spoke, we sat down to take questions from the group, and this great question came up: “How many leafy greens should I eat?”

Doug and I both have different answers, but I think you’ll find they complement each other nicely. 🙂

Your question of the day: What is your favorite state or national park?

1. suzanne says:

They are all so fabulous, but Arches in Utah is my favorite. Most trails are short and right off the main road making it accessible for the more experienced walker/hiker.

2. Simon Willicome says:

Hi guys,

A few days ago you mentioned removing Spiralina from your diets because it was giving you gas.

I was having the same problem with my smoothies, so i took out the spiralina and low and behold, no fartyness. Yay!!

My question for you both is what can i replace it with to give me the same nutritional benefits?

Thanks for your help.

Simon.=0)

Ireland.

3. Sharon says:

Is it just me or is the video not working?

4. Lisa, Pearland says:

Smoky Mountains National Park in Tennessee. Beautiful!

5. Peg says:

I am getting the message “the video you have requested is not available”

6. Roberto says:

Is it just me or is the video not working?

7. Genevieve says:

It’s not working!

8. Vita says:

The video does not work for me as well. l have been going to Youtube, but this episode does not show up there either.

9. Nancy says:

Nope…not working.

10. sandy says:

not working for me, either

11. Julie says:

I love Acadia State Park in Maine~ there are lakes and mountains and gorgeous camping sites.

12. mike says:

this video is not working

13. Nathalie says:

me neither 😉

14. Andi says:

Ya, not working for me either!

My entire state is a state park-Florida! Mickey doesn’t own as much as you think. Come on down Kev and Anne Marie and you will never run out of places to hike, or as we call it, “Scrubbin'”!

15. Michelle says:

I was not able to watch the video 🙁
    It would not come up…not available?
    How can I view it?
    Thanks,
    Michelle

16. Irondoll says:

the video you have requested is not available….waaaaaaah

17. Tyra McMahon says:

not working for me either!!!

18. Brigitte says:

ditto – not working – please rerun at a later date!! Doug Graham is unique and very passionate about what he believes in – always worth watching.

19. sheryl miller says:

yes please I would like you to rerun this video!
    Mine does not work either!

bye

20. The video that is requested is not working.
    Thanks a million for all the very interesting information you share with us.
    you and Anne Marie make a beautifull couple and you have so much love in your eyes for one another.
    love peace and joy.
    fatima

21. Great Sand Dunes National Monument near Alamosa CO. Go there so I can meet you!

22. Dawni says:

Hi All:

Nice bit of ‘how many greens to eat’.

I love all that were mentioned.

Now my heart is with the Grand Sequoia National Forest near Visalia, CA…Those Grand trees are fully ensouled. They are regal beings and family to me. Yeah…I long to be with them. It is a cool relationship.

Love trees and forested areas.

Have a great weekend.

Dawni

23. I think this was very informative and I like both of your answers, but I must say that it was a bit rude of him to stand up and write while you were speaking. Just saying…

24. Deborah Gordon says:

My favorite park is Rockland State Park in New York. I love to go bike riding there. It is so peaceful and there are so many deer, bunny rabbits and other little animals.

25. Ilse Ceronio says:

It just takes avery very long time to download the videus. Today we have Saturday and I can take all the time I want for downloading,
    For a long time my sound did not work but now my son gave me a – what’s it’s name? – This is wonderful.
    So I’ll write and comment again after I listened to the video.
    I can just say that my husband believes in eating lots of leaft vegetables – lettuce, spinach, cabbage
    Ilse

26. Caite says:

Thanks for the intro to Doug Graham. I’ve heard of him but have never heard him speak nor read any of his writings.

I’ve spent many a summer packing with and with donkeys in the Eagle Cap Wilderness in NE Oregon. Here in Florida, I love Anastasia State Park right on the ocean near the oldest pueblo in the US, St. Augustine.

27. Alicia says:

Smokey Mountains in Tennessee definately! Thank you guys for all you do!

28. Kym Hutcheon says:

Very interesting. That comment about not liking the chewing process was actually pretty insightful too. It’s a bit of an effort in the heat of the Summer chewing through enough food to get the calories in.

How old is Dr. Graham? He’s obviously very sharp, but, ah, his muscle tone is maybe less awesome…

I’m afraid I only know Yosemite. It was pretty stunning but hiking there was like following an ant trail. Lol.

29. tessa nisbet says:

i heard it just fine! excellent – i am looking forward to receiving doug’s 80-10-10 book i ordered having listened to him a few times now – he has facts to back up everything… how do u get 3000 calories a day kevin ?!

national parks i’ve only been to a couple yosemite was wonderful and grand teton also….have a great one…

30. Robert says:

Would it be possible to provide a written transcript of this.

The audio quality was not that great, and this is a very important topic!!

thanks very much!

31. Paula says:

My favorite parks are Grand Canyon and Monument Valley. My husband’s favorite is the Great Smokey Mtns. National Park in NC.

32. Shirley says:

My favorite national park was mentioned first–Arches National Park. It is in Utah,near Moab, so maybe you can see it after Zion. Try to see Delicate Arch at sundown. Absolutely breathtaking. I am always surprised that more people do not know about this place. Lots of trails and lots of arches to discover!

33. Rene says:

Just to answer the person that said that Dr Graham’s muscle tone doesn’t appear to be great.

I met him (and Kevin and Annmarie) just a few weeks ago. His muscle tone is amazing. His skin is a little on the weathered side, but he’s still an amazingly vibrant, strong, healthy person.

Kevin and Annmarie, in person, are also very healthy, in great shape/tone, and have great skin. I’m betting their skin is in better shape due to their going raw at a younger age, and not spending quite so many years in tropical sun as Dr. Graham.

If I could look like any of them, that would be just okay by me!

34. Bonjour Kevin & Annemary,

Because I watch your video half day later from France, you have probably fixed the problem with the video. It works fine for me. When I eat one salad per day , it is good. I can not get my minimum of 2500 kcal per day just with greens, and my choose is not to eat more fat/oil as max 20% of my calories. I eat 4-5 fruits per day and supplement my meal with cooked rice or my favored cooked quinoa to get the fuel for 2-3 hours cycling per day. Sprouted lentils or other seeds and fermented vegetables are a concentrated version of my greens with plenty of vitamins & minerals. Today I go for a bike race of 150km around Rouen: I will need at least 4000 kcal, which I have eaten the last 2 days: mein glycogen reserve in my muscles is full. However calories don’t mean absorption of this food… it depends on the performance degree of your gastrointestinal system and your metabolism efficiency. 1 calorie is maybe 5 for somebody who is not fit with a congested GI.

My favored national park is still Crater lake national park in Oregon, but Yellowstone and Grand Canon are not far away too.

Have a nice weekend with hiking in Utah.
    Dr Jerome from France.

35. Kym Hutcheon says:

Rene: Thanks for the comment. Glad I asked. Cheers.

36. Hiya. 🙂

I just have to say I love you guys! And Annemarie is the cutest ever. 🙂

My favorite park is Yosemite! It has lots of special memories for me. I went on 2 week long school trips there when i was a kid, and it was a magical place to me! I loved hiking to the top of Vernal and Nevada Falls on the mist trail…its so beautiful!

Thanks again for a good show. If you see Doug again say hi for me!

~Christina:)

37. Rafael says:

My favorite national park is also Zoin national park. I also enjoy cloudland canyon in northern Georgia.

I agree with Jerome. Building a healthy GI for ultimate assimilation.

Peace

38. Shelley says:

Zion is amazing. We hiked up the river canyon area. I think it’s the Virgin River. We always say we’re being ‘recycled’ when we get in the ankle deep water! And then there is Bryce Canyon! Love the Red Rocks areas of Utah.

39. Irina says:

I agree that Kevin and Annmarie look great!!!
    Thanks for the show guys. I also wonder how old Dr.Graham is. But to my mind he looks way too skinny and not so healthy compared to Tonya Zavasta who is 51 years old and looks fabulous for her age. I wish Kevin and Annmarie interviewed this beautiful woman. It would be really interesting show.
    Have a great weekend.
    My best wishes,
    Irina

40. crow says:

My favorite park is Yellowstone National Park.

41. melissa says:

I love Silver Creek Metro park here in Ohio. It’s peaceful, and I can take my dog and my 4 year old daughter with me because that have a few different trails. if she is with me we only do a mile or so, if it’s just me i do the longer trails.

42. Courtney says:

I never have access to the videos for whatever reason. I can’t even click on them….

43. Rev. John says:

As this is Saturday morning, you have probably already taken your hike, so if you’re are reading this Kevin, you didn’t run into a mountain lion. They eat mainly raw vegetarians:)Zion is a neat place, we were up there last year for the flute festival. It would be hard to pick a park, at least on this side of the Rockies. I worked on a wagon train, in the late 80’s, that went from the Mexican border to the Canadian border and back, so we were camping for 10 months out of the year, and every camp site had it’s good points. In the early 80’s I did trail guide work up and down both sides of the Columbia River, and that is some of the best country I have been too. You can live off the land very well up there in the summer months. Rev John

44. Joni says:

Kevin your example about what happens when you eat too many greens ie how you slumped over in your chair from being too tired or no energy I think has been happening to me. I have no energy most days and I eat greens in my morning smoothie, I juice greens during the day, then I have a savory veggie stew for dinner which includes a ton of greens. No wonder! I guess I better start incorporating more fruit on a daily basis. I’ll have fruit in my smoothie and sometimes a piece or two throughout the day, but obviously I’m not getting enough fruit. Thanks for mentioning this ~ now I know why I have no energy and always feel so tired. Is there a book out there that addresses these issues? Thanks again for what you do!

45. amanda says:

yellowstone stole my heart.

46. Page says:

Out of the parks I’ve visited (only east coast, sadly) – my favorites are:
    Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge/Stephen Foster State Park in GA
    Everglades National Park and the Ocala springs area in FL
    (I’m a paddler – I like parks where I can put my boat in the water.)
    I grew up hiking and backpacking in the Smoky Mountains in the 60s and 70s. I can’t go near them now. The air pollution you see from the mountain tops and tourist traffic going to the outlet malls make me nauseated.

47. Alena Liska says:

Dungeness National Park,
    a very long beach, with protected bird and other wildlife, ending with the Lighthouse which can be rented, The last time I hiked it the beach was covered eith huge Sea Lions, sea otters body surfing (smiling), and a Bald Eagle in a snag not 25 feet away, almost saying this is a bird sanctuary and I don’t have to move!. Just outside of Sequim Washigton.

48. Tara Burner says:

excellent info
    my favorite park(s):
    Bryce
    Zion
    Montezuma’s Castle
    Arch’s National Park

49. Marie-Clare says:

Love Yosemite and Grand Canyon. Wanting to see Big Bend (anyone have any recommendations about where to stay at Big Bend?).

50. Sherry says:

Crater lake national park in Oregon.Been there both in winter and summer love it both ways.
    Yellowstone is nice to.

51. kate says:

Very very interesting information. All of the National Parks in Canada are unique and beautiful!

52. Tonya says:

For your question of the day:
    Thinking it through … the national park that I’m experiencing at that given moment would be my favorite! Each is unique in it’s beauty, experiences they have to offer and the memories you take with you.

Yosemite National Park …. Half Dome hike – AWESOME.

Hope you were able to go up Angels Landing via Walters Wiggles while at Zion!!!

Video worked for me; sorry to hear others couldn’t view it. Good information on leafy greens. Hmmm … 2-3 heads of lettuce – I’m liking the blender idea!!!

53. Andi says:

OK, now it works!
    What I gleaned from the video is that I am probably getting just under what I need in terms of greens each day. In the morning, I make a smoothie with an entire head of either romaine or red leaf, or 3-4 handfuls of Spring Mix. I then share that entire carafe with my family. I usually have a small salad at another time during the day, but I’m thinking I need to do another smoothie as well.
    Today, I am going out hiking in our pastures with a new adventure in mind: finding mushrooms! I am no expert, so I will not be eating any I find, as I am actually quite terrified. But after the Wildman call and looking at your friend Daniel Vatilis’ videos, I am determined to find SOMETHING LOL!! I am going to take pictures and then try to identify them with the help of an expert. But if I find any Chaga WOOHOO!!
    Best Wishes!
    Andi

54. MacKerricher State Park is awesome. It’s just on the outskirts of Fort Bragg. Great to visit if you’re at the Living light expo or just in the area. Here is a link to their website. http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=436

55. rainbow says:

hi, the video didn’t work for me either, and it’s already saturday. oh well. i have a related question about greens and things. i live very far (about 100 miles each way) from most organically grown produce, so my greens are basically pre-packaged romaine lettuce hearts. there are plenty more greens available, but not organic, so i don’t buy them (though i lust after them! 🙂 i am wondering what percentage of organic foods you and others eat, and if it’s better to eat them anyway, knowing they likely contain systemic poisons in them? ugh, can’t do it. i choose to not support the industries that are doing their darndest to poison us all, which includes our holy earth. so what to do?

as for the parks and forests, i haven’t spent enough time in enough of them to really have a fave, but anywhere there are trees and water and not a lot of people and vehicles is where i want to be. thanks and peace for ALL life!

56. Carol says:

Our favourite park is Yosemite. There is nothing that compares!! 🙂

57. Bill Murphy says:

My favourite National Park is Springbrook here in Queensland, Australia, it is World Heritage listed and less than an hour from me.

As many here will not know of the National Parks in Australia, I will also share my top 5 that I have visited in the USA! 🙂

1. Yosemite National Park. A truly amazing place that I would love to return to in the Summer as I was there at the start of spring.

2. Arches National Park in Utah was amazing too, could have spent weeks there exploring!

3. Grand Canyon: Words can not expess how awesome this place is! We spent hours just gazing down into the big hole!

4. Sequoia National Park, those trees are incredible, but we could not get into the heart of it all due to snow on the roads.

5. Lake Tahoe State Park. I lived in this area for one ski season and it is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen!

I have been to Zion National Park too, but only very briefly as we did not have the time to stop for long enough to experience it!

58. bethany says:

Dr. Robert Young says the body runs on electrons (salt) not sugar. This video he made explains:

He says the body doesn’t need sugar (fruit).
    Does anyone have comments on this info?
    I am always hungry to learn more about nutrition.

59. HY says:

Here’s a tip:

Getting water from foods alone may not be sufficient unless maybe it is very watery but that may be not-so-local and pricey.

Over the last few weeks, I tried a high-carb diet with lots of greens, fruits and cooked starchy vegetables. The problem was that I was spaced out and always craving for food and those problems were further aggravated by eating more food (including greens and fruits).

I discovered that my hydration levels were imbalanced (ie my body was hyper-tonic) after drinking plain water which made me feel satisfied, energized, and more alert. My only beverage was green smoothie(w/ 3C+ greens/day) and I didn’t have plain water for a week. Just like the story about drinking sea water when you’re thirsty.

I’ll try drinking water after eating fruits (more water for bananas and dried fruits).

60. Corey says:

That was awesome. More, more, more on greens please!

61. susan says:

Today is sunday September 27, 2009 on all PBS channels at 8:00pm and at 8:00pm all week there is a special call ‘The National Parts American”s Best Idea.” It’s by Ken Burns. You even go to http://www.pbs.orge/nationalparks and fined out more.
    My favorit is Yosemite and Redwood National Park. Why, because my favorite tree is the California Coastal Redwood. I even love to go to California State Parks, too. This is a good way to suport my state.
    Thanks for all your show and keep on doing them.
    Susie from Carmichael, California

62. martha says:

blue ridge parkway in north carolina is soo soo beautiful. there is this blue aura that smudges the sky and you know you are in a special place.

63. Brent says:

Love the greens, tried the high fruit thing didnt work for me unfortunately:( I try to get my calories from fats like avocado, sprouts and dear I say it…raw goats milk:o hope this dont offend anyone out there.

64. Elaine says:

Watched a baby elk being born in Rocky Mountain National Park this summer, awesome.

65. micki says:

My favorite state park (until recently in danger of being closed) is Armstrong Redwoods in Northern California. My favorite National Parks are a toss up between Yosemite (not the valley, it’s too crowded) and Sequoia National Parks. I used to live in the Eastern Sierras and visited the upper part of Yosemite (lake tenaya, toulume meadows) just about every weekend…it was only a 30 minute drive from my home. Now I visit Armstrong as often as I can and commune with the trees.

66. Mike says:

Arches and the Canyonlands area in Utah is off the hook, also check out ‘goblin valley’ its pretty trippy.
    I am wondering how much does a “Green Powder” factor in to the daily green requirements.
    Is a tablespoon in all respects like eating say, a head of lettuce, or will the fiber be lacking?
    What I would like to find out is what are the inherent differences between using a green powder for your daily requirements as compared to using the actual fresh produce 🙂

67. Alkalize says:

Bethany, I tend to agree with Dr. Young on that one. Sugar actually gives you energy by causing conflict in your body. Your body responds to that acidic environment and that’s how you get that hyper energy. Fat like avocado is more sustainable source of energy. So is sea salt in my experience.

But that’s probably not a popular opinion o this site 🙂

Kev, love your videos. Thanks.

68. Teree says:

Since it’s practically in my backyard…I’d have to say Yosemite! It’s absolutely beautiful in the Autumn! I enjoy all your shows…I look forward to meeting you both
    someday!

69. Brynda Bechtold says:

Don’t you know that St. George, Utah was downwind from the nuclear bomb tests many years ago and that many of the residents got cancer from that?? The last place I want to be!
    Is Big Sur part of a national park?

70. MaryEllen says:

What?? Nobody has been to the Adirondacks? that state park fits Yellowstone, Yosemite, and a 3rd (forget which one) inside it. With 46 high peaks over 4000′ an endless number under that, and lakes everywhere, and endless rivers to canoe/kayak,I would have to say it ROCKS! And there are plenty of those, too. The fall colors are just beginning to show themselves. Lake Placid is awesome.

71. Mamabird says:

Big Basin Redwoods in the Santa Cruz monutains in Ca.