Is Cacao Good for the Anti-Candida Diet – The Renegade Health Show Episode #403

Thursday Sep 24 | BY |

Lot of great questions from you guys…

Today, I address what type of skin cleaning products we use, including deodorant. I also talk about cacao & the anti-candida diet and how to deal with overwhelm.

We were sweating in the sun during the filming of this one… it’s hot here in Vegas!!!

Your question of the day: How do you deal with overwhelm?

1. Luciano says:

Guys!! What a great show today. Loved the vibe of it all. Great stuff. Amazing energy.

Your friend in the U.K

2. DONNA says:

Your video is still not coming through!!!!

3. Frances says:

How do I deal? I sleep. I do a little less. I give myself an afternoon once a week, when I can. I’m always running around, scarfing food on the go, so sometimes I say “NO”, and go home / go to bed.
    Also, a word about smoothies. Personally, I find smoothies really easy to digest (that being said, I don’t add fat and THAT many ingredients as in the Vegas style smoothie). I tend to have a reactive stomach / intestines, and blended foods work great for me.

4. Debra says:

You both look GREAT!!!! Thanks for the awesome info as always… Looking forward to seeing your interview with Doug Graham!

5. Dave Tyler says:

I’m amazed at the power of stopping what I’m doing when I’m overwhelmed and just going for a 20 min walk to appreciate the peacefulness in something…. and specifically to being overwhelmed about diet and health… IMO there is no sense in that. Just start incorporating healthy food and lifestyle habits into your own life every day and go at your own pace. If you are overwhelmed… then slow down 🙂

6. Muriel says:

When i feel overwhelmed, i concsciously take steps to calm myself, with one or more of the following ways: breathe, meditate, spend time with Spirit within, peace follows, clear thinking and balance restored!!! It works!!

7. Cathy says:

I thought this was cute, my 7 year old was sitting here watching this with me, and asked me if Kevin was on a train??
    I laughed and said “No, why?”
    She said because he’s rocking back and forth =)
    My kids always come running when they here your music playing, they like to watch your shows.
    Cathy

8. Marla says:

I would love for you to do a show about the best way to do a liver/gallbladder flush. Thank you so much. Love your show.

9. sioux says:

I use baking soda as well — I put a tiny bit (maybe an eighth of a teaspoon-ish?) and I drizzle a little water to make a loose paste, rub that between my hands and apply that to each arm pit. The I use essential oils in a carrier oil if I want a perfume effect. But I don’t do that on most days. Or I keep a vial of that in the car for days when I am smelly and can’t wash up before I go somewhere.

I’m startin to do more yoga again, and find that stepping back and breathing a bit or going for a walk with the kids calms us all down and changes the energy from stressful to more peaceful.

Love the show. I have a question — what did you eat when you were on the candida diet? I can’t imagine being raw without fruit! Are you still sugar-free or do you eat some fruit now?

10. Bee Lady says:

As a raw foodist, when overwhelmed I eat more root vegetables. Root vegetables are very grounding (beets are my favorite).
    If Mary is overwhelmed about learning a raw food lifestyle, just relax, this is your exciting life and you can not fail life. Learning is fun. This exam won’t be graded 🙂

11. mike says:

i love this shows keep up the good work

12. Debra says:

Kevin’s arms look really great – a lot of raw foodists look kind of wimpy. Just thought I’d throw that in there since AnneMarie usually gets most of the compliments…

13. David says:

Cacao nibs are about 90% fat and about half of that is saturated. May not be a good choice if you are going for anti-candida lower fat diet.

I have a nib/nut fest last year for a few weeks which went down hill quickly (adrenal exhaust and I am guessing a candida bloom).

With overwhelm, simplify and gather in to what is really important. Overwhelm (for me) is usually the result when I get over-extended.

14. Sheryl says:

Good Day – I personally believe that God created special foods for all the different localities in this world that would sustain our bodies in perfect health. The Goji Berries have no more healing power than our Strawberries here in Texas – so much lies & deceit in the Raw Food World making people believe any Foreign food are better than our foods here in the good ole USA & charging an arm & leg for them. I believe that simplicity is the key. Take your mind off all the hype in the Raw Food World and put it on God to direct you what is right for your body. Stay away from cocoa (drug) and Hemp (drug) by using these products you do nothing but destroy your mind & body and support the drug cartel.

15. J says:

dealing with overwhelm. i call my mom! the best remedy ever.

16. Debra says:

Is it fat’s that add to body oder or is it lack of Zinc???? Would really like to know???

I use Bach Flower Remedie ~~Elm~~if I’m feeling overwhelmed

17. Yasmine says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie,

Thanks for answering my question. Sorry I said “womanly” stuff… Ok, I guess man do shower too 🙂

It is the 1st time I hear about Brawner soap and shampoo, etc… So I looked it up on the Internet, I couldn’t find much about it. I will look in a drug store on the week-end. I hope it is in Canada. I live in the province of Quebec, in Montreal.

I will try the baking soda for my armpits.

Be blessed,

Yasmine

18. Ladan says:

When im overwhelemed, i take a deep breath, try to look at the big picture and realize that this too will pass…things like art and nature help clear the mind. Its good to remember that we are all in this world together and ask the universe for help and guidance..it works.

19. Wonda says:

When I am overwhelmed…I go for a nature walk, or do some writing, but what works best is if I spend time on my knees, with the God of heaven.

20. Magda says:

Hi,

Great show by the way! Besides meditation, breath awareness and being present I find bach flowers like Elm and Rescue Remedy help a lot.

Thanks Magda, Sydney

21. kate says:

I’m excited about hearing from Dr. Graham as I want to learn more about the low-fat raw diet (since you guys never did answer my questions about it) . I just saw Frederic Patenaude speak about it and it made a lot of sense. (He advocates high fruit to make up the calories you don’t get from the fat). He also says that in candida issues, fat is the problem, and not sugars from fruit! Keep up the great job guys, you rock!

22. Jamie says:

Question: Are colonics always safe and/or can colonics be dangerous? I have heard second hand reports indicating the later, and I’d love to hear some more perspectives. 🙂

23. martha says:

When I am overwhelmed, I take a deep breath, close my eyes if I can and start to think of all the things I am grateful for and what i really appreciate. sometimes that simple thing is not so easy so I take another deep breathe and try again and the I will feel the wind blow or hear a bird sing and then I ask myself what it is I need to do to change the direction. I realize I can’t do everything so I let go and look for what is good.

24. Neela says:

I take a short moment of peace.
    As every moment rests in complete perfection, no matter what is occuring, no matter how we describe it, it is just a matter about recognizing that again and again… overwhelmed, happy or bored….al is perfectly fine.

A website that I deeply recommend:

LOVE

25. Shannon says:

when overwhelmed, I watch Grey’s Anatomy! 😀

26. Andrew says:

I got yelled at by my stylist friend for not washing my hair enough. She called me a unhygenic hippie. Ashley, why do you hate me so?

27. Andrew says:

But more seriously Kevin, I’ve been finding a Westin Price oriented diet works best for me. What do you think of Mr. Price? Why do you think he’s well oriented or disoriented?

28. andrew says:

meditation

29. Kym Hutcheon says:

Yeah, I’m with Shannon! Love Grey’s Anatomy. It’s ironic because the whole surgery aspect of the show seems so… uh, misguided given my current views on health. 😉

Overwhelm is a challenge for me too, especially since I’ve started to set up my own Web site. (It’s given me a whole new respect for Renegade Health and all the others with sites who post here.) I want everything to be perfect, which is such a trap. One step at a time.

When it gets too much, I just try to do something different. Whether it’s a walk, training or sleep, etc, things always seem clearer when you come back to them later.

30. Sue Rushford says:

Yasmine – I just wanted to let you know I believe Kevin is referring to Dr. Bronner’s products (you just had the spelling off). They were found to be the most non-toxic of all personal care products in something I read in the past couple of years – can’t remember who conducted the study – perhaps Organic Consumer’s Association – was it Ronnie Cummins – or Cornucopia Institute. You can find their products at Whole Foods and probably many other places.

In any case, when I’m overwhelmed, I make sure my Q-Link is touching my chest – I feel like that really gives me a sense of calm and peace. I cut out all social obligations – even Facebook – even men if I have to. I reprioritize. I try really hard to make it to yoga class or to squeeze in a super-long distance run – did a 26.25 mile run this past Sunday & yoga on Monday. So yeah, exercise, stretching, and mind-body stuff helps – so does juicing – a lot. Talking things through with a good friend is priceless, too.

31. Gosia says:

I am with you Jasmine, I am recently in my native country Poland,(I live in Irvine,CA).Spending time with my family,my Mom,my Dad and my Grandma…is the most therapeutic thing to do. I am so convinced,that being surrounded by people who know you very well,is very calming and important.
    When I am in California,I practice yoga every morning,eat 90% raw food,meditate etc….and I thought that is the answer,since I came to Poland to visit my family my believe changed on that subject.
    What a blessing to be confussed 🙂

Hugs from Poland,

Gosia

32. Gosia says:

Witam( polish “Hi”) Kevin and Annmarie,

I have been watching your show since July this year,my sister introduced me to your side.You both are doing such important job,by educating people about health.
    I live in CA,but recently I am in Poland, and I showed your show to some of my friends.They found it very interesting as well.

Have you thought about coming to Poland?

My Sister Monika,and I just started doing our first business together: an online raw food store,we are both huge followers of raw food diet,it virtually transformed our lifes(!)

Because im currently promoting raw food diet in Poland by educating my family and friends,my sister is coming by herself to the Raw Food Festival in Arizona.

Such uplifting feeling we can create even better world around us!

Gosia
    from

Virgin Raw.

33. Irondoll says:

Constarch is great for underarms. Baking soda is salty, yes?

34. Irondoll says:

I eat junk food…it’s an awful addiction.

35. Nicole says:

I take a bath or get a massage. If I have someone good to listen, I’ll talk about what’s bothering me.

I have a question: I have had Chinese “scraping” massages done (Gua Sha), and though it really, really hurts, it feels good after. Do you have any opinion on this type of massage, or suction cupping?

36. Veronika says:

I was thinking the same thing about Kevin’s arms – you look so fit and healthy! I’ve noticed that some male raw foodists look emaciated.

And you guys are getting me so excited about your skincare line!

Oh, and yea baking soda works great as deodorant. You can mix a tiny bit with water and smooth it across your pit. I hear you don’t want to use too much because it can irritate the skin. Just a little barrier is needed to prevent bacteria from growing.

37. Veronika says:

To answer the question of the day – I meditate when I feel overwhelmed, breathe, do yoga, and learn how to tell people ‘no’. I also check to make sure I’m not procrastinating. I find that sometimes there’s just one or two things I’ve been putting off, and once I get them done I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off me.

38. Veronika says:

Oops…forgot to say great post! Looking forward to your next one.

39. rose says:

i have to admit i take to bed and/or watch tv when i feel overwhelmed…

40. Rene Oswald says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie!
    Thanks so much for all that you do!
    Another problem with cacao and is that it’s almost impossible to eat it without adding lots of fat and sugar to it! It’s very bitter by itself and if we only had access to cacao, we would only consume about 1/2 tsp. of it at a time. The way most people get around that is to add lots of sweetner and fatty oils and nuts to it in most of the recipes. There in lies the problem with it not being such a “healthy” food. I use carob to simulate chocolate in many of my dessert recipes in the TLC program. Carob is naturally sweet, so you don’t need to use an excess amount of sweetners and it’s loaded with calcium and other minerals without the stimulants found in chocolate, so it’s actually good for your adrenals!

On another note, I like to watch inspirational videos when I’m overwhelmed. I’ve posted a bunch of great ones on my site at http://www.reneoswald.com/videos.html (Check out #1,9, 13, 16, 19, 32, 39 and 51) Another great thing I like to do during “overwhelm” is to “Fall Still” –check it out at http://www.welikeitraw.com/rawfood/2008/05/falling-still.html

41. Tonya says:

Kev/Annmarie – great show – you have a wonderful candid and open approach to everythin you do – very inspiring. Appreciate how you breakdown your answers for those of us that don’t quite have the knowledge that you do.

Answer to your question of the day: two days ago I woke up cranky as a all get out …. no idea why … just mad at the world and had that feeling of being trapped …. so .. I lit my lavendar candle/rolled out the mat on the sun porch/turned on Mother Devine/sat with LT to my left and JorEl to my right(Lab Retreivers) and meditated … 40 min later I walked away with a smile on my face and two pups bouncing along my side! It was a good day.

Namaste.

42. Marie1225 says:

Kev and Annmarie,

How do you clean your cutting boards?

Thanks!

Marie

43. Althea says:

I read the Bible and remember I am not in control, God is. 🙂 Then I let Him take over and I am stronger in my weakness.

44. Dev says:

Dear Kevin and Annmarie,
    I wanted to know what you thought of hydroponically grown vegetables? Are they any better or worse than organically grown vegetables from a health standpoint. Would appreciate if you also scientifically justify your answer.
    Dev

45. Jehan Sandra Salem says:

Right now I’m feeling overwhelmed about my past, present and future (possible paths)and What I do is to watch ANIME or read MANGA, a lot of them are jewels, you need to look for the best and the philosophy behind them is so good, that they really can ease the cocktail (anxiety, fear, panic attacks)and relieve you at the same time educating and fulfilling your spirits. And also some video games.

I don’t say listen to music or go to walk because I live at Kiev under certain circumstances, so going out, taking buses and noise, and cold and the stress around, so if you are like me, staying at home but doing that it really can help.

46. Sarah says:

I have a question. I became a raw foodist about 6 months ago. I do not eat processed raw foods, high amounts of fats or fruits and don’t eat raw grains. However, I’ve gained weight. I cannot understand this. Do you have any thoughts/recommendations??

Thanks,
    Sarah

47. Lisa says:

Great Shows!
    Does anyone know how to view episodes 1 through 30?

Thanks!

48. Sharon says:

Depends on the level of overwhelm. Usually a change of scenery helps. I work mornings and nights rather than 8 hours straight. The mid day break allows time for sunshine or exercise or cleaning house or shopping depending on the day.

If it’s really severe overwhelm a bit of GABA works wonders for me. The brain burns it up too fast when there’s a lot of stress. I do EFT first though before using GABA. When EFT doesn’t do the job, I know it’s GABA deficiency.

Rescue Remedy spray works for many people. I never noticed anything with it though. My dog responds well though, LOL!

49. Lisa says:

Your shows are great and I have been going through the archives viewing the old ones, however I cannot seem to pull up episodes 1 through 30. Do they still exist?

Thanks!

50. Joan says:

Deep breathing and a relaxing walk – near the Lake if possible. I think Kevin was referring to Dr. Bonner’s products and Swansons.com is more economical than some other places.

51. Joan says:

correction – Swansons has limited Dr Bronner’s products, but vitacost.com has a good line…

52. Sherry says:

This may surprise some people but I use
    Kelly Howell’s The Secret Universal Mind Mediation.I used this to help me with my depression. and I got a lot more than that! First I am not depressed any more.11 months Depression free.
    It helped me with negative thoughts.Loving myself and a lot more! I was Depressed sense I was 4 years old. Not in to drugs so I kept looking. This changed my life.It does take time. use it at bed time 6 to 8 weeks. It took me 8 1/2 weeks before I noticed any change.
    And man it was like an explosion! I was in a state of euphoria for 2 months.And everything changed My taste in music,movies, quit TV, likes ,Dislikes. I still use it if I feel like I am sliding back in to it or if I get very upset or just every month to keep in tune. Hope this helps!

53. chuck says:

Well said! I liked your comments at the start of today – not everything works for all – but as you say we need to have fun and try different things.

54. Nick says:

Wow. “Bronners” & other “cleansers” used for washing. I thought it might have been, but guess it wasn’t from you folks I learnt that soaps wash off our body’s own oils preventing intake of very important vitamin D. Yes Dr. Bronners has organic oils, but they’re not your own oils, which convert vitamin, uh maybe D2 to D3, or somesuch. The main point there I believe is our body oils in contact with the sun make the vitamin D assimilable. So i use baking soda where it really counts, in the pits & such spaces. I don’t think that strips oils, at least not the alum-free type. & I heard there’s a new book just out on healing uses of baking soda, vs cancer even. It renders internal environs inhospitable to fungi. Why do we think people only get fungal growths topically, eh?

55. Jean says:

Hi Kevin, A little off the subject. I emailed Christine Fennelly

Public Relations

Tufts University

This is what I recieved back.
    Dear Jean:

Thank you for your email. Tufts University has no involvement in the Smart Choices Program. Dr. Kennedy participated in the SCP as a pro-bono volunteer who worked on the program independent of her role at Tufts University. I understand that the use of her academic title in the article and on the SCP website has caused some confusion, and we’ve requested the SCP remove her academic title from her position description on their website.

I hope this information is helpful.

What is your take on it.
    Thanks

56. Tara Burner says:

finally others who don’t have to wear deodorant! when I tell people that, they freak out!
    anyhooooo when feeling overwhelmed….pray/meditate/yoga
    or walk away from whatever’s overwhelming me and find something else to do (like today, was overwhelmed with work and school work and popped in here to catch yesterday’s show!)

57. Andi says:

Hi Kev and Anne Marie!

I feel the most overwhelmed about my health. The lack of continuity in the raw food world makes me crazy! So I have to get back to my 3 rules of living better to simplify again: Eat raw fruits and veggies for more than 80% of my diet, drink lotsa water, and exercise every day. I don’t always do those things, which is also frustrating, but I have to take time for myself out of each day to just BE.
    I’m with you on the cacao. I just went through a week of gut-wrenching reality that I was taking in too much cacao. So now I know just once a month or so is all I should do ;O)
    You guys look great and so happy! Thank you for turning your life’s work into work for lives!
    Andi

58. Page says:

To deal with overwhelm – I take a deep breath and just deal with first things first. Learning to set priorities and taking them one by one is the best way for me – that and keeping a positive attitude about what I am doing.

59. Nick says:

Now re overwhelm…uh, walk/waltz headlong/heedless right into it? That’s the approach I’m trying steer away from. Since you folks asked the question, maybe don’t go to Vegas to begin with.

I believe the trick is to recognize the overwhelm as it whips up, then come to realize the cost of overwhelm isn’t worth whatever it is, from multitasking, for money, or chasing peak experience, since the overwhelm prevents you from experiencing whatever it is you’re trying to/thinking you’re experiencing. Only relaxed can we experience fully towards our peak that’s possible for each and any of us at any given time. I’d wager that overwhelm is one of the most important underlying addictions to give up/resolve, which drives the others, particularly substance addictions from underneath. yeah, ‘seems people confuse overwhelm with peak experience.

60. Liliane says:

I have RSDS which affects the sympathetic nervous system, so I am prone to feeling overwhelmed quite easily. Being mostly raw now has helped some. Deep breathing and meditation is helpful as well as a walk in nature. Petting my cat Puppy is also good for him and me. Just making a few changes at a time helps. Also remember to be gentle with yourself. Always remind yourself that you are doing the best you can. Baby steps.

Also to Sheryl in Texas, hemp is non psychotropic.It’s an amazing source of protein.

Thank you Kevin and AnnMarie. 🙂

61. Kathy says:

This is a good question of the day. I was wondering about the B vitamins and how stress effects them. What raw foods will increase our B vitamins? As a person with some nerve damage, I am always looking to increase vitamins that will repair the nerves. Any suggestions?

62. Tiff says:

I just wanted to let you know that my 2 year old made up a song with the lyrics “Kevin Gianni five” over and over—get it? LOL

63. nick says:

Vipassana Meditation helps for present and future
    stress and negativity. Exercise from basketball to Yoga helps me too.

64. Karolina says:

I usually meditate and I love that when I feel overwhelmed. Besides I love to read and just be alone.

Gosia!

I am from Poland too! However, I live in Chicago and I also educate all my Polish friends about raw food and raw lifestyle. If you want we can get in touch when you come back from Poland (email glen26@onet.eu )

Best,
    Karolina

65. Here are some things I do when I feel overwhelmed:

1. Stop moving. I’ve noticed that when I’m overwhelmed that I’m moving a lot – mentally, physically. It’s usually the energy of moving that is causing my freak-out to ramp up.

2. Don’t reach for food. This is a new thing I’ve been implementing in the past few months. It’s helping me to redefine my relationship with food.

3. Go stand outside bare-footed, in the sun if possible. Ground that energy!

4. Hug my dog. ‘Nuff said there. ; )

Lisa Marie Lindenschmidt
    Rite Food and Company

66. Irene says:

I learned from a naturopath that BO under armpit is due to toxin in the body. If you do detox, you do not have to use deodorant.

67. Ah yes, overwhelmed – happens alot around this time of year, currently have 6 assignments thats due very soon so thats overwhelming me like nothing else.
    Ha
    but seriously, i go for a run, or a nature walk – and drawing/painting releases me quite a bit also. Like last week I just got really angry in class for no apparent reason so i ditched class and went home to draw.. Sounds a bit weird right about now, but it works for me!

Good show! Both of your knowledge is muchly appreciated :]

68. GoRawMe says:

Perception is everything … I work on my perception about overwhelm. This practice shifts overwhelm and allows space for choices and priorities.

69. raymond says:

CONFIDENCE CAN DO SO MUCH FOR A PERSON IT BOGGELS THE MIND.I’M LEARNING THIS ON MY JOURNEY TO ACHEIVEING THE BEST HEALTH.BUT TO DO THAT YOU HAVE TO FACE YOUR FEARS AND GUILTS.THINK ABOUT IT,I DONT FEAR ANYTHING OR HAVE GUILT ANY MORE,WILL BRING YOU CONFIDENCE LEVELS HIGH.LONG STORY SHORT BELEIVE IN YOUR SELF AND GET THAT SUPPRESSION OUT,I BET YOU YOUR CONFIDENCE WILL COME BACK.

70. Julie says:

For Deoderandt, motuhwash, skin wash, eye infection,and so much more, etc, I use 2.5 water, only from the Alkaline water machine. find out more at http://www.youralkalineh2o.com or http://www.youralkalinebody.com and its just water people, works great i just put some in a little spray bottle and use it. There’s a free e-book at the site you can get also.

71. Mary Kay says:

I have been using angstrom minerals, including zinc. I really don’t notice any difference with them EXCEPT that when I ingest them, I do not have strong b.o. I got a friend to take them too, and she told me the same thing!

I use that Thai salt deodorant. Will also try the baking soda thing.

Mary Kay

72. marilu says:

bad smell under armpit comes from bacteria that thrives in the humid environment (from sweat). Squeeze a lemon in your hand and rub it in the armpit to prevent the bad odor causing bacteria to grow there… I guarantee you will never stink again and best of all it does not stain your clothes! (some deodorants do). It couldn’t get simpler or cheaper.

73. marilu says:

silence is where i find wisdom when i feel overwhelmed.

74. Boldizar says:

My own (victorious) battle with candida, and how I incidentally lost 60 pounds while maintaining lean muscle mass, is chronicled here: http://www.boldizar.com/blog/2009/09/the-manly-mans-candida-diet/