How to Make Cultured Vegetables with Donna Gates (Part 2) – The Renegade Health Show Episode #399

Friday Sep 18 | BY |

Here we have part 2 of Donna Gates explaining how to make cultured vegetables…

We thought this would only be 2 parts, but the info was so good, we’re going to have to make it three! 🙂

Cultured vegetables was one food that helped me bring my gut flora back to manageable balance, so I’m grateful for Body Ecology and the info that Donna shares.

Take a look at today’s show where she explains how to make a brine to start the fermentation process.

Here you go…

Your question of the day: Since Annmarie was watching Beyonce videos… What is your favorite music video or artist?

To check out Donna Gates’ site, please click here: www.BodyEcology.com

1. RW says:

Loved the artists from the first annual RawUnion Festival.

2. Darlena says:

The sound wasn’t real clear on this video..:(

How does one know if they have Candida? What are the symptoms? I have taken antibiotics for Lyme Disease, but don’t have any digestive problems…. could I still have C?

My favorite artists are the Black Eyed Peas and my friends and family kind of chuckle since I am 65 years old…. It’s just good dance and party music.

3. Barbara says:

Please mention the books authored by Donna Gates. Does Donna give instructions in her book/s how to make cultured foods?

4. Phyllis says:

I wasnt pleased with the girl that did the demo. I couldnt hear her very well for one thing and she never really gave a recipe.She took forever to get to the point. Sorry for the bad review. I relly do love your videos. thanks

5. GoRawMe says:

This 3-part harmony is making my mouth water! But I’ll be patient. Still want more of the lovely Gina.

And you betcha Annmarie … Beyonce’s “Single Ladies” … I’m with you! Rawk!

6. David Lee says:

My favorite music video is “Celebration” by Madonna for the time being. But the contenders are “Like A Virgin”, “True Blue”, “Open Your Heart”, “La Isla Bonita”, “Express Yourself”, “Oh Father”, “Vogue”, “Justify My Love”, “Rain”
    “Secret”, “Take A Bow”, “Ray of Light”, “Power of Goodbye”, Don’t Tell Me”, “What It Feels Like For A Girl”, “American Life” (Uncensored Version), “Hung Up”, & “Sorry”,

7. Mary says:

Wow, only one artist? Hmmm. I am going old school…Fave video’s, Madonna “Like a Prayer”, and Hulio, “Gansta Paradise. Sorry Hulio if I miss spelled your name.
    New School…Anything Green Day.
    Mary

8. Michael says:

Well, for the most part video DID kill the radio star. The best music video for me is none. However I have to admit I’ve seen some creative ones, especially some classics. I just think it’s sad that to be “popular” and get media play a music artist(s) pretty much has to make a video as well. Also I think a vast amount of videos are inappropriate for children (if not anyone); so when I see a creatively done vid that stands out from the hype and cliché I may be interested, so I do appreciate the question. Love ya all, thanks for the great how-to.

9. Aric says:

My favorite recording artist is Perry Farrell, singer and frontman of Jane’s Addiction. I love his music. But I also love the fact that he took the entire amount of proceeds from one of his tour to free as many Sudanese slaves as he could in 2001. His Lollapalooza festival also donates millions of dollars to the city of Chicago for green initiatives, like planting trees and gardens on the rooftops of buildings.

Two of his more recent videos are Wish Upon a Dogstar(Satellite Party)
    and Go All the Way into Twilight(Perry Farrell, duet with his wife Etty Farrell).

Like you two, he and his wife travel everywhere together and I guess you could say they “work together,” as she is a dancer that performs with his bands on stage and she also sings many songs with him.

I hope you check out those two videos. Positive lyrics in both and one of them has sexy fruit eating!

Thank you for your amazing show!

10. Krina says:

I am curious with you guys being so healthy, will you get the swine flu vaccination? What are your thoughts about this flu? Love your show!

Thanks

11. Christopher Cacao says:

The Best video ever is Pure Imagination from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (Original version). Just listen to those lyrics…awsome!

12. Nick says:

Hi Kevin & Annmarie,
    Soul, Jazz, Funk from the late 70’s & 80’s, was probaby the Best Quality inspiring
    Music around at the Time. It bought lots of people together in friendship. Yes, true Happiness. Please take a look at this group
    from England : LOOSE ENDS. songs like:
    Magic Touch, Hanging on a string,
    Mr. Bachelor. There Music was Good then & the old stuff is even still Good to listen to today. I’m an older Guy from UK.
    Great Memories. PEACE.
    Many thanks & Best regards, Nick.

13. Peg says:

I am really enjoying these shows and looking forward to making the fermented vegetable. One question: How is the kefir starter different from the culture starter for the vegetables? The last time I made coconut kefir I had only the other culture starter on hand so I used a little bit of that–turned out delicious.

Gina mentions her son that has/had autism. My 22 year old son has Asperger syndrome which as Gina will know is part of the Autism Spectrum Disorder. He has had a difficult life so far, but now has become willing to eat whatever raw food I make. He says he cannot commit to 100% (I am not so good at that, either), but wants to improve his diet. I am very happy about that so will continue to offer him everything I make. Has Gina written about the food she has fed her son and other things she has done? I would very much like to know everything she has done.

Thanks

14. Nancy says:

Anything Jason Mraz…..but loved Black eyed Peas on Oprah’s 24th season opener!The crowd was unbelievable!

15. Nancy says:

Just incase you missed them on Oprah

16. kate says:

I hate to burst your bubble on Madonna and Beyonce, but I think you should watch this. Many of the celebs who become big have done so because they have sold their souls.

17. barbara says:

It’s really difficult to hear yesterday and today’s videos clearly. I can’t understand all the ingredients Donna mentions. Hope you will be posting the recipe to rectify this.

18. Flavio says:

Michael Franti & Spearhead
    Power to the Peaceful

19. Janet says:

Pussycat Doll’s “Buttons” video is one of my favorites. I love to do dance coreography and they have some great coreography in this video.

20. Brynda Bechtold says:

Just last night I attended a talk by Viktoras Kulvinskas, but Catherine Clark filled in for him with a tasting/showcase of fermented foods, mostly seeds and nuts. It was sooo full of new ideas! We sampled maybe 15/20 foods and laughed alot, too! I used to have to make my own yogurt in the 70’s because stores didn’t sell anything sugar free.
    I must say I loved all the Michael Jackson videos that were showing upon his death. “Give in to me” is powerful. My music of choice is Allman Brothers,Hendrix,Janis Joplin,Santana, all those classic rockers. It’s still the best rock ever done.I even love HANK WILLIAMS #1!

21. Betoman says:

The Radiators!

Can you use the remaining liquid brine from an old batch to start another?

Thanks!

22. Cynthia says:

The video part 1 and part 2 were very difficult to hear and understand.
    I hope you will post a recipe/directions for this.

23. Elaine says:

John Mayer and Jesse Cook are 2 favorites, don’t like videos.

24. linda redsar says:

I’m very interested in making cultured vegetables and I have been making them without the starter. I cannot hear Donna clearly. Can you please post the recipe?

Thanks!

Linda

25. Delaney says:

I like Casting Crowns which is Christian music.

26. Sandi Seegert says:

Great info if you could hear what she’s saying. She needs diction and projection lessons because her words are mumbled. She also doesn’t seem very “happy” to be offering her expertise. Can we get this in word format? Otherwise, love you guys, love your “show”!!!!

27. yeroc999 says:

The best video in the world is “Immortal Corruptor” by Gwar.

28. Rene Oswald says:

Loved today’s video! Lots of great info and ideas! I loved Donna’s thoughts of the bacteria getting schizophrenic if they were blended too much! LOL! Looking forward to video #3! I always use her culture starter for my krauts, and you can also use the previous batch of kraut as a starter for your next batch. Maybe she’ll talk about that next time!

29. sunbinder says:

Can I make culture vegetables without purchasing Donna products??

30. I believe this is great information and I would love to get hold of an instructional video with step by step instructions on how to make fermented foods. Thanks for all you do.

31. Irlanda Borquez says:

I’m near McAllen, Tx and the only health food store is the Sun Harvest where they sell some unpasteurized Kimchee, would be that good to try or is better if I make my own?
    My favorite video of all times is Return to Innocence, Enigma.

32. sari says:

I am so sorry to give a bad review because i really like you guys.This girl doesnt know to communicate.One half sentence led to another half something else and didnt get anything from it.she is too quiet and it was actually irritating.3 episodes i dont get it!!!!!keep your standart Kevin.

33. Elizabeth says:

Hey,

I like the idea of fermented foods and especially the vegetables. However, she made a huge amount and I am only one person. Is there any way to get a recipe for proportions for one or two people?

Thanks!

34. Vita says:

l love Anubis Spire, amazing world fusion/guitar music.

35. Yair says:

Good advice thanks, and yea the sound quality could be better..

I have one question on the subject:
    If I open up a high quality probiotic capsule and add it to the mix, would that have a similar effect as the culture that Donna Gates sells?

36. Lois Kubota says:

I can’t beleive I have to wait until Monday to get the recipe!! I am going to try to make this on Sunday (or something similar)

37. Carachi says:

@Brynda Bechtold
    Fermented nuts???
    Please tell us more! 😮

38. Leam says:

Favorite artist – U2 – I loved The Sweetest Thing video.
    Recently, John Mayer playing Human Nature and
    Pink preforming Sober on a trapeze.
    I look forward to the finale of this cultured food demo.
    I think the brine would make a strange taste. I can’t imagine fermented mint tasting very good.

39. martin says:

my favorite music video is by boxViolet, a song called “Punding.” the singer is raw, and the drummer is high raw, and they’re both beautiful! inspiration for me!!!

-martin

40. MERCY JACOB says:

It was very hard to understand Donna. I was listening very closely to get everything that Donna and Gina said, but it was not clear at all. Hope you will have the information on your site for viewers to read.

41. Peg says:

Just a note about the videos that are hard to hear–I have been using my Bose headset to listen and that helps clear up the sound. It may not work on all, but I had no problem hearing Donna.

42. Karen says:

This fermenting is VERY interesting. I hope it will be, or has been, documented somewhere for us to use. Thanks for including this topic!

43. Sherry says:

R.E.M. Shiny Happy People.

John Lennon Dream #9

44. Nathalie says:

Xavier Rudd – you have to check this guy out!
    He is a one-man band (almost) playing didgeridoo, harmonica, guitar, drum beats and vocals, sometimes all in one song!! Truly amazing guy, and he is a strong environmentalist too 🙂
    He is known also not to own even one pair of shoes, as this guys travels the world – think about that, no shoes…. ever! hehehe

Here is a sample:

Hope you enjoy it 🙂

45. I, too, would love a recipe! I’m not so concerned about which vegetables to put in, but more about how to make the brine/starter liquid.

Favourite music video? “Beautiful” by Marillion.

Lisa Marie Lindenschmidt
    Rite Food and Company

46. Geri says:

I love Jazz, funk, black gospel and 70’s r&b!
    I love Al Green! Anita Baker, The Black Eyed Peas (and I am 50).

47. Linda says:

I don’t really have a favorite video. My favorite artist is Yolanda Adams.

I would like to hear more on how Gina reversed autism. That’s information that needs to be shared with others that are dealing with this disease. I know someone who has, I believe he’s three years old now and I would like to share this information with her.

Thank you Annmarie & Kevin for sharing the Donna Gates information. I will try this one day soon.

I’m a bit concerned about what it will look like when it’s ready to eat. It doesn’t look moldy does it? (I know, crazy question, had to ask) If someone can let me know I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

48. Beth says:

I don’t watch videos anymore, so I don’t have a favourite.
    Enjoyed the first 2 parts, and looking forward to the finale on fermenting.

49. Sue Rushford says:

Mary, it would be Julie (not Hulio) 🙂

Krina, I can pretty much assure you they are not planning to get the flu vaccine or any other vaccine.

I do like the Black Eyed Peas, but I LUST for AKON – he is the reason I just finished running 26.25 miles in the treadmill – he just INSPIRES me!

– Sue

50. Joann says:

Seal, Steely Dan, Teena Marie, Sade and Luther Vandross

51. rob says:

It would be really nice to have an actual recipe with approximate amounts to use of each ingredient as I’ve always wanted to try fermenting but wasn’t sure where to start.
    After I get used to a recipe, then I’m more likely to ‘wing it’ and use my imagination.

Thanks a bunch, love your show.

52. DONNA says:

Please Help: I have been unable to contact you as I am told my e-dress is not valid; I am nowk truly disgruntled that i suddenly for the past 3 w3eeks can not view your videos regularly. Sometimes yes; others they are blank.

53. Alena says:

Louie Jourdan singing one of his tunes, great songwriter and musician.
    YouTube has a lot.
    Thanks for the fermenting instruction.
    Where can we get the Planetarim culture starter?
    Thanks,
    Alena

54. Christina says:

Hi Alena,
    You can purchase the Planterum Culture for culturing vegetables from this link to Body Ecology:

For CVs (cultured veggies) you’ll want the CULTURE STARTER…for Young Coconut Kefir or raw milk kefir, you’ll want the kefir starter. It’s not necessary but I do recommend adding a pre-biotic…Body Ecology sells one called: Eco-Bloom. The pre-biotic will feed the microflora which will make them even more hardy to flourish.

Linda,
    No, the CVs that you would eat will not be moldy. Think of pickles or saurkraut…they are moldy…they are sometimes soft (depending on how they were cultured), sometimes crunchy but always sour and ‘cultured’. Now that said, SOMETIMES you’ll see the very top layer that will have a bit of mold on them. Most of the time if you see any mold, it’s only on the cabbage rolls that you use to take up space so that your CVs stay submerged in the brine. I have made literally hundreds of jars of CVs and I have had very, very few jars that had mold on the top. I’ve never had any that spread through the entire jar.

To increase your chances of avoiding ALL mold, simply make sure that all of the shredded veggies AND the rolled up cabbage have all been submerged in the brine. I like to add extra brine and keep them all submerged so that I virtually have no chance of mold growing on even the rolled cabbage.

In the event that you do have any mold, as long as it’s on the top layer, you can simply scoop out the moldy portion and the very top layer. Because the rest of it has been cultured, it is fine to eat.

Cultured vegetables will taste really sour, sometimes very salty if you use a lot of salt. They are absolutely delicious! 🙂

55. Anna says:

Very poor audio. Cannot understand what donna is saying.

56. Christina says:

I can’t believe I spelled PLANTARUM incorrectly – twice. 🙂

57. Brigit says:

My favorite music videos are Beyonce – Halo, and Alicia Keys – No One and Tell You Something. : )