Bridgette Mars on Cleavers, Yellow Dock and Usnea – The Renegade Health Show Episode #386

Tuesday Sep 1 | BY |

You asked for it…

So here it is… more from Herbalist Brigitte Mars.

Today, she covers yellow dock, Usnea, and cleavers. Each of these can be found in the Oregon woods near Portland as well as other parts of the country!

Important Note: Please take classes with local herbalists and foragers before you try these on your own!!!

Your question of the day: What is your favorite spot in the woods?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

This video is a part of the Raw and Living Spirit Retreat… click here to check it out and bookmark it for next year! www.RawandLivingSpirit.org

1. Dominic says:

I have never been to a woods, everywhere would be beautiful I could imagine, with so much life and herbs growing around there.

Have you heard of Mountain Rose Herbs(www.mountainroseherbs.com) I believe they’re in Pleasant Hill, Oregon. A tour of the place would be awesome, as well as meeting the people there.

We need more Johnny 5 videos! and what is his diet anyways? I’m curious.

2. Vaughn says:

I love parts of the woods which are very dark and cool. Very relaxing in a hot summer day. Another favorite is near a creek or other source of running water. Running water is very calming and really allows you to spend some time and examine your self.

3. Sarah says:

Do any of you have any suggestions on good authors or books to read about raw edibles? I live in Woodstock, GA, just north of Atlanta, and have been told that our landscape is full of wild edibles….
    My favorite spot in the woods is anywhere that I can only hear mother nature and all her glory. 🙂 Preferably with the sound of water.

4. My favorite spot is where I live. Have 10 acres here in NEPA bordered by woods. Have owned the property for over 20 years. Very peaceful here. No pesticides ever used here.
    Working on a edible lawn right now.
    Anymore parts to this?
    Great set of videos to start the week with.

5. teri says:

the story went like this …. your walking in the woods on a path and see a key , what does it look like and what do you do with it? further up the path you spot a container what does it look like and what do you do with it? you walk further and go round a tree and see a bear and the bear see’s you. what do you both do? further down the wooded path you see a house. what does it look like?
    meaning……. the key is education, if old and you pick it up that’s good. the container is how you value your life. (example- a treasure chest filled with costums means your interested in history and value life… the bear is fear! you run? or does the bear run and you stand your ground. the house with trees all around are friends, clear is with out. I can go on and On.
    all favorite places in the woods, Oh dang I forgot water, well thats sex and the bigger the ocean, or river… I think I’ve rambled enough.

Teri

6. James says:

I feel like I was there.

7. Gjel says:

How does one go about learning herbs and plantology?

8. nick says:

The edge of any forest or woods where there is a clearing field right next to a dense tree area is the best spot to find wild edibles. I have no reservations about telling anyone about anything I know about any type of plants !!!

9. del says:

I love wetlands! Looking out at a grove of red swamp maples and tussock sedges, maybe a highbush blueberry on the edge with various kinds of mosses growing on rocks. Beautiful lichen with it’s coral-like look growing on the trunks of the trees. A Jack-in-the-Pulpit practicing its sermon behind of log. Ferns growing everywhere – Cinnamon, Ostrich, and Christmas ferns. Skunkcabbage with it’s huge course leaves contrast against the finer textures ferns that grow around them. Summer time, the fragrance of Summersweet Clethra fills the air with such sweetness. But one needs to venture out there and take a deep breathe to experience it fully. The energy of such places is amazing. Why would any fill them or consider them wasted places, I just don’t know. I love what William A. McDonough said about how we shouldn’t concern ourselves with reducing our ecological footprint but rather we should increase our footprint and leave wetlands in their place.

10. Rene says:

I was there!
    My favorite place in the woods is usually in the Quinault Rainforest, where the trees have moss and lichens hanging off them, and the shelf mushrooms are all over them, and the ground is damp… it’s quiet, it’s full of life, and it’s so green it fairly shimmers.

Hey, you have any more video from the retreat? 🙂

Rene’

11. Rafael Morales Jr says:

Hello Kevin and Annmarie
    this is a great show please more of this.
    this reminds me of the wild edible flowers class de I took 15 years ago. Keep up the good work.

12. Marissa says:

My favorite place in the woods is the escarpment. The gorges in my area are wonderfully full of wildlife and I’m particular to the raptors (turkey vultures) that nest along the cliffs. There are 92 waterfalls in the area and those are pretty spectacular as well..hiking out in the middle of the woods..that’s where the majority of them are!

13. Outside of Colchester, Ct. heading to Middletown on RT 16, you’ll come down a huge
    hill and on the right is an old wooden coverered bridge, and you’ll be right on the
    Salmon River, great sounds from the river going over the river rock. And, great woods to walk in. Also, mountain spring water available on the other side of RT 16. to take home if you bring your own containers. It’s a great place to spend the day fishing,hiking, painting,or just chilling out; and there are campgrounds at this
    state park. When I visit CT, it’s one of my
    favorite places. You can go anytime of the year and it’s always beautiful.

14. marketa says:

Hei Kevin og Annemari :-),

awesom with this hearb videos, I am hungry for more 🙂

fantastisk everything that you do both of you
    :-))))))))))))

Marketa

15. Jennifer from the UK says:

I took a new path yesterday on my walk (Glastonbury,Somerset UK) and found myself in a disused orchard. A glade of unkempt apple trees their fruits fully ripe, some of which had fallen were fermenting and decaying, a perfect illustration of the cycle of life. Collected my bounty and juiced them upon return.

16. maddiethunderclap says:

we are blessed to have a private wood right outside our flower and veg garden.we lie at night in our hot tub and the trees are huge and when they sing in the wind -and its windy in scotlnd-i feel happy to be alive.the rooks live there and their busy noise never fails to fill me with contentment. at night i fool an owl a few fields away by copying its call and bit by bit he makes his way along the trees until hes near us then flies off in disgust i am sure because its not a gorgeous bird just an old crow.

17. Kathryn says:

Picking a favorite part of the woods would be like picking a favorite between my children. I will say I have a deep love for the forests in British Colombia thanks to a very special trip I took too many years ago.

Thank you so much for sharing this walk with us it is just what I needed to keep me inspired right now and I will now be looking for a juicer to juice herbs with!

18. Heather says:

I love the woods in the Adirondacks in early spring when I can almost taste succulent fiddleheads and ramps even before I find them.
    I see someone asked about getting started with foraging. My suggestion is to get some books that are easy to use like Peterson’s Guide to Wild Edible and Medicinal Plants, and also their Wild Flower Guide. Then I use Wildman Steve Brill’s books on Identifying wild edible plants. After taking a quick read through these, then sign up for a foraging walk with an expert in your area, and do a few of these until you start to get the hang of it. Then use the books and set a goal for yourself that is doable so you don’t get discouraged!

19. Didiydi says:

thanks for the great video Kevin, and sharing the information!
    My favorite spot was I think you call it a plane in english, in my grandmother wood when I was a child…Beautiful forest, wish I was there. Hi Ann Marie, we miss you:)!

20. Torey Taylor says:

Did you record your whole herb walk with her. If so is there anyway you could get that to us. She is a very interesting, knowledgeable lady. Thanks for all the good information you bring to us.

21. Michelle says:

Bummer…I live at 10,000 ft and while we have lots of forest here, not much else grows besides lodgepole pines and aspens. I don’t know if there is a lot of edibles in the forest, although I did just forage for wild raspberries last week!

Anytime I can be in the woods is awesome, but my fav part is being on top of a mountain, looking at the incredible views that we have here!

22. Tyra McMahon says:

I love the woods. Brings back memories of my father. He use to know what wild mushrooms to pick and lots of eatable weeds too. I remember one called pigs weed that grew abundant out back. It tasted so good. Kinda like broccoli. Also lots of wild berries. I do believe he made wine with that.

23. Courtney says:

I can’t really say that I frequently take walks in the woods. BUT when I did/do, I look for the biggest, oldest tree and try to figure out it’s age, history, emotion. I love the look of tall, husky trees. I love to sit beneath it and gaze up at it’s mysterious beauty and try to revisit it’s past in my rambunctious mind.

24. Bonnie says:

I actually like climbing a tree in the woods then sit/listen/watch. It’s amazing what you see and hear.

25. Beth says:

Johnny5 is awesome. Glad he finally got to say something on the show.

My favourite spot in the woods is near a creek. Otherwise, any spot under tall trees.

The woods are an amazing place to be with nature.

26. jes says:

My favorite spot is under tree roots or up in the branches or in the water or rolling on the ground

27. Nathalie says:

In Australia, we have the bush – he he he

I would absolutely love to experience the woods but I truly do love the aussie bush!
    I love where I am on the Gold Coast… ocean to one side and in 20 to 30 minutes we have glorious and thick nature reserves and bush lands stretching itself for as long as it can survive!

BTW, no crocs on this part!

I love seeing and hearing Jonny 5!
    I must have missed his introduction on how he came about with his name and where you both got him, although I have been watching you for over a year now. Would you mind re-telling it one time soon?

Kindest Regards to you and Anne-Marie 🙂

28. Mike Ross says:

Not far from there is my favorite spot, where I collect my spring water. I’m glad you got to experience some of the magic of the Mt. Hood National Forest. Thanks for the tip on Cleavers, I have a bump behind my jaw that just popped up I think is a lymph gland. The next time I get water I’ll grab some Cleavers to juice. I wish I could’ve been there with you.

29. Rhonda D says:

Great video,
    would it be possible to get a close up of the plants next time?

Your guys are the best
    Thanks again

30. Laura G says:

Wherever there’s a waterfall.

31. Denise says:

I have just watched your 2 video’s on wild edible greens. Very Good info. Please have more of these!

32. DONNA says:

This is the 2nd video that is blank; I always receive these videos and don’t understand why the last 2 will not come through. Please advise!!!!
    Donna