Herbalist Brigitte Mars Talks Wild Foods and Horsetail – The Renegade Health Show Episode #385

Monday Aug 31 | BY |

Over the weekend, we had a blast at the Raw and Living Spirit Retreat…

We managed to get some rest and see some great presenters as well as meet some of our community!

We’ll have some great clips from the weekend over the next few days…

Today, herbalist Brigitte Mars takes us along the trails and explains the benefits of the wild edible horsetail.

Your question of the day: Do you want more wild edible talk with Brigitte?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

Come to the Raw and Living Spirit Retreat next year! www.RawandLivingSpiritRetreat.org

1. Justin Murray says:

I want to see more! Justin Murray 🙂

2. maria says:

yes I want more wild edible talk please! keep it coming!

3. CINDY says:

RIGHT NOW YOUR LUCKY TO BE OUT OF CALIFRONIA WHERE THE FIRES ARE BLAZING. DO YOU HAVE A RECIPE FOR REMONDADE PEPPER.PLEASE SHARE IF YOU DO.

4. cheryl says:

Yes, more please! Thanks.

5. Corrinne says:

Thank you Kevin. Very interesting show and I would love to see more on herbs. I read about them all the time and add them to my smoothies and salads.

6. Freda says:

That was awesome, thank you Kevin for bringing very intersting subjects, and keeping us very informed, I love you Renegade Health Shows it really keeps me raw.
    I’d love to hear more about wild edible, and if you can let us know where we can the stuff, for example Lamsquarters, I called every farm in Miami they didn’t know what I was talking about.
    Peace – Love
    Freda

7. Kory says:

Brigitte is AWESOME!
    I would love to see more. I have wanted to take a foraging class but so far have not been able to find one in L.A.
    Great info.
    Thanks Kevin

8. Beth says:

Yes, please. Really enjoyed her talk. Thank you.

9. Sandy Jo says:

Thanks Kevin, That was very interesting. I would like to hear more.

10. Lynn says:

11. Cherie says:

Yes, I would. i would also like it if there was somebody in my area that could come to my yard and tell me which weeds I can eat.

12. Yes! I remember her from Colorado.
    Judith

13. Eric J Shadd says:

Hey Kev,

Oh yeah, this was fantastic. We so need to get back to nature and this woman knows her stuff.

Awesome!

E

14. Yes please and Thank you.
    love peace and joy.
    fatima

15. teri says:

yes yes show more she is such a good natural teacher and tanks for getting the closeup to show the herb. so interesting.

16. Veronika says:

Yes, yes!!! More wild herbs with Brigitte. I love all of the segments about harvesting wild plants, permaculture, etc. as well as the “In the Kitchen” segments.

17. crow says:

Hi Kevin,

Would love to see more on natural edible plants.

Crow

18. Sharon says:

Yes, we need more information. Foraging might be where we will all end up one day.

19. Sara says:

Please…MORE!!!!!!!!!

20. Mark says:

Yes please show us more.

21. Sheree says:

Absolutely would love to hear more about herbs and foraging from Brigitte!

22. Dr J says:

Absolutely , keep Brigitte coming ! She is Rawsome !

23. Michael & Tracy says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie,

More Briggitte? Absolutely….great stuff..

24. Gary says:

Yes, very informative.

25. Paul says:

thanks Kevin, I would love to see more, very interesting.

26. Elaina Harman says:

Yes, would very much like to see more and like others,I think we might come to a time we might have to forage for our food when the “Food, Inc” (A documentary regarding the selling out of our plants and seeds) people take over all the seeds and they become GMO’s
    to increase their profits because the gmo’s are not as suceptable to disease.
    Anyway more ways we can survive on wild plants.
    Thanks,

27. dianna says:

would love to see more , thanks

I am reading the e-book High Raw and
    thoroughly enjoying it !!
    Great information and so much of it
    thanks again
    dianna

28. Dave Tyler says:

I really liked this. I’ve been spending some time around CT looking for herbs… it’s great to see things in their natural state when you learn about them.

Thanks!
    Dave

29. Courtney says:

Hi!
    For some reason, I cannot access the videos, but I am sure todays show was very empowering 😉

-Court

30. Bonnie Lynk says:

Yes, show more.

31. sue says:

Yes! More! Raw fooders are naturally leaning this way! She sure knows a lot. Thanks for bringing her to us.

32. Dorothy says:

Yes, please.
    Thanks for all the great info!

33. Donna says:

Yes please

34. Oh, yes, I’d love to see the rest of this footage! She’s a great teacher and I live in the Northwest, so I get to see her talk about the plants around my home. 🙂

35. Denise says:

more would be great. there is so much out there that we all need to learn.
    love n light to you all
    Denise

36. Hethir says:

I love Bridgitte. More sir! 😉

37. kenny says:

Yes….I love info about foraging. I’m in the woods hiking everyday and lately have been stopping quite a bit to forage……

38. Would love more of her. It is great info. Thanks

39. Linda says:

Yes! Please more Brigitte and more wild edibles!! You guys are doing such a great job. Thank you so much!

Linda

40. nick says:

YES!!! Everything PLEASE !!!!

41. Kathryn says:

MORE PLEASE (:-) THANK YOU!!!

42. Misti Young says:

Yes, please post more edible plant vids from her, we are both beginner “wildcrafters” and love seeing more of the RLSRetreaters!
    Thanks for all your “work!”

43. Yes, thank you as always, more herbalist wisdom would be good.

Also, I’d like to see the second half of Doug Graham’s talk. (Did I miss it somehow?)

Thanksso much from Salem, Oregon.

Darielle

44. Bee Lady says:

Yes, please show more. It is wonderful to see and hear that others live from the fields as I do. It astounds me how there is a virtual pharmacy right before our eyes and no one seems to know it or believe it even when told.
    I don’t know the names of most plants. My nature harvest and medicinal plant experience occured at a young age in another language. So, it is nice to watch Brigitte and learn the English for the native plants. In Europe, or perhaps just in my family, people use native plants quite readily and know the uses of many. There are always bunches hanging from the rafters in attics ready for a tea or infusion. I also learn of them by watching the animals (wild and domestic) here on the farm and how they use them. But, of course, the animals don’t name them in English either. So, I have my own names for most, 🙂
    I use horsetail a lot. I’ve seen it first hand dissolve a lumpy tumour and also dissolve bladder stones. It is wonderful for renal and urinary tract health among other things.

45. Tiff says:

Heck Yes!

46. NANCY says:

YES. WE NEED TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THE WILD EDIBLES. PLEASE DO MORE SHOWS.

47. Annette says:

Absolutely I want more! This is a fascinating topic and I look forward to more info from Brigitte!

48. Brigitte says:

Kevin and Annmarie,

Yes, would love to see more of the footage with Brigitte Mars (and not just because we share the same name!).

Not sure though how safe I’d feel actually picking anything myself without going out foraging with an expert first!

49. Larraine says:

I Absolutely want to hear more!!! This is such informative and important info. She is awesome.

50. Irondoll says:

Yes, yes, yes….a thousand times, yes!

51. Helen says:

Yes, please!!

52. Linda Miller says:

I love info on wild edibles. Thank you.

53. Mindaugas A. says:

Ireland attention: This foraging meetup we will repeat, so please join meetup and you will be informed: http://www.meetup.com/The-Irish-Raw-Food-Meetup-Group/calendar/11023056/

54. Noel Carlson says:

I would appreciate any information on edible wild plants!

55. Charlotte says:

Yes, very interesting! However can you do an anwsering questions show this week?? you have not done one in a while.
    I would still like you to do a show on the dangers of GMOs please!!What the process behind it is and the threats it poses to us!!! I’ve been asking for a while now so that would be great if you could!!
    Thanks,
    Charlotte

56. jackie says:

Yes…very interesting!

57. Colleen says:

Yes…more please!!! This is exactly what I am most interested in learning about right now!!! Thank-you=)!

58. Yes, More Please! I don’t know if you two are considering this but if the Rawkathon was to be an annual event (which it should be) then we are fast approaching its anniversary. It would be great to have Brigitte Mars, Peter Ragnar, Daniel Vitalis and such others who have made a life of foraging.

59. Gail says:

Yes – would love to hear and learn more about wild edibles. Thanks!

60. Debra Bridwell says:

Excellent, yes I would like to see more of this talk. I find herbs extremely beneficial and helpful.

61. Irondoll says:

Would love you to interview Wildman Steve Brill. I remember him from before you were born…you are such puppies! 😀 Anyway, I knew about him, because he used to forage Central Park in the early 80s, got busted a bunch of times, and then the city created a job for him to do so as a tour…those capitalists!…LOL I wish I had…I was into living food in ’81….

My experiences with living food in NYC was sooo wonderful, and so odd by ALL my friends, since we were all straight Feds.

I also took a class with Sproutman Steve Meyerowitz is in his hugh apartment near Riverside Dr. He taught me to grow wheatgrass in a basket and sprout seeds in hemp bags. Of course, my friends thought I was really weird when they’d see grass growing from a basket on my modest glass table and hydrating seed cheese and seed loaf in a pan on top of the radiator in my Brooklyn Heights apt!!!!! It was sooooo wonderful!

62. D. M. Laura Jones says:

Yes, please. We would like to see more of this type of nature walk to identify edible weeds and herbs. Thank you.

63. sara says:

bring on as much brigitte as possible!!!
    one question
    what about horsetail you buy at the healthfoodstore in bulk?
    can we trust that it has been harvested before the summer solstice?
    same goes for what about if we buy it bulk from, say, frontier herbs?
    thankyou for this wonderful vid!
    she is great.

64. Jason says:

yes !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love Bridgette!

65. chantal says:

yes more please, very good tips very helpful for me as I work in a health food store in the supplemnt dpartment.

66. Barbara says:

I would absolutely love to see the rest! What a wealth of information she is!

67. Eva says:

Yes, yes. Absolutely. :o)

68. Courtney says:

Yes! Great info~ will totally be using horsetail to clean camping equipment in the future. Would love to watch more. She has a great vibe~
    Many thanks
    Respect! One love

69. Sarah says:

YES!! I would love to learn more about wild edibles! Also, if anyone knows of good resources for identifying edible plants in different regions. This is as eco-friendly as it gets! 🙂

70. Sylvia says:

Such a timely talk on Horsetail! I was looking for some and didn’t know you were supposed to pick it in the early spring. Thanks~and more would be great!
    Sylvia

71. Maria says:

Absolutely Interesting and very detailed info…Thanks Brigitte!
    Ciao Kevin and AnnMarie…Thanks for your generosity in all you do !
    Big Hug….

72. Gina says:

Yes please!

73. Carol says:

Yes. I think Brigitte is amazing and would love to learn more about wild edible plants.

74. kate says:

Bring it on please!!!

75. Michelle says:

Y-E-S – more Brigitte Please!

76. Dawni says:

YES…This is VITAL information.

So let’s SEE it all. She seems to have fully integrated her knowledge on a variety of levels.

Kevin you provide an amazing service. I begin a hunky JUICEFEAST tomorrow. HIGH RAW has sent me on a wild journey. Happy to have the inner circle with the information and encouragement you all provide.

I am nurtured by what you do! Grateful.

Dawni

77. marketa says:

Yes please,more of it :-),

Marketa

78. Brian says:

I would like to learn more.

I’m starting to plant dandelions in my garden. The benefit is that they are perennials and you only need to sow them once.

79. Yurystal says:

YES Please! Would love to see more Brigitte.
    Thank you!

80. Frances says:

Yes please!

81. RW says:

Yes! bring on more sources for RAW food.

82. Absolutely want to see more… Thank you!!
    #:-)

83. Makorev says:

Yes. Started, years ago, with interest in edible wild plants for survival. Now I harvest, when I can, from my yard or nearby areas for salad variety and nutrition. I regularly make weed tea for fertilizing and strengthening my garden vegetables.

84. Gina says:

Have been eating some “weeds” for a while and would LOVE more info.

85. Geraldine says:

Yes please!! more info from Brigitte would be great

86. Alison says:

Great information please show us more. We can’t get enough. Thanks for sharing

87. Craig Boyle says:

Yes, I would be interested in learning more about wild edibles.

88. Ben says:

This is beyond awesome!!! Please show all of the footage that you have.

Keep up the great work,

Ben

89. Elana says:

Yes, but please include a close up shot of the plant and info about how to identify it in the wild.
    Thanks!
    Elana

90. Sofia says:

This video was very interesting, please keep posting I would be interested in seeing and hearing more about wild herbs.

91. Hilary Teske says:

Very interesting. More please.

92. Danae W. says:

Awesome show! This is my first real introduction into foraging edible plants. Never gave it much thought until now.

93. Deanna says:

YES! Love it! Want more, thank you!
    lol,
    Deanna

94. Robert&Helen says:

YES, please were can we find & learn about it, please recomend a good source!!!

95. Nurmala Ruth says:

Yes, Yes Yes More!

Thank You! I have tried to translate horse tale to Swedish for a wile. Now I know how it looks like!

I love wild food!
    It makes me feel so rich:) It’s all over the place:)
    Thanks for wonderful show!
    Love Nurmala Ruth

96. Dave Haith says:

Yes more of her please but some real close ups of the plant she talks about or a close up of the plant in a book.
    And please explain which plants are found where – which countries and also types of terrain. I’m from the UK and some things you have we don’t and vice versa.

97. stacey says:

Yes, more footage please! I felt that it was somewhat cut short and unfinished.
    I’d love to see more (and go on her herb walks, as well, for that matter!)
    Its so cool that you guys do this, I’ve learned so much and it always seems that it comes my way just as I’m growing curious about something and I have no idea where to look to learn more(I’m in Bulgaria) I’m so grateful for the internet, and for you guys!
    Loving it,
    Stacey

98. Janine says:

Yes, please show more!!

I just learned to forage for some wild edibles, including horsetail, in a class. Brigitte says we need three sources though, so this would be my 2nd source! 2 down, 1 to go… what else did you guys find on your hike??

99. Heidi says:

oh yes, would love to see more, herbs and wild food. thank you so much.

100. Alisha says:

Yes! I would love to hear more. 🙂

101. Nathalie says:

please sir…. can I have some more!! ; )

102. Pipeline Pete says:

Yes, I want to see more of this….PLP

103. Gayle says:

Yes, Please. Very interesting. Living in Las Vegas, NV, there are not many weeds available. I’d love to learn to identify what few we have. And would love to be able to identify weeds/plants when I travel. Thanks so much for all your videos, just love them.

104. Sanjula says:

YES, love to see more

105. Didiydi says:

Yes! And close footage+ how to use the plant? Not to assume we know it. If you make a tee, with the fresh ones or need to dry it first? Only the stem or “needles” as well? How else to use it? How to recognize a good variety if buying in the shop?

Wild herbs foraging in or around London, anyone has some info?

106. Page says:

Yes, please, I would like to hear more from Brigitte. Thank you.

107. Rafael Morales Jr says:

Hello Kevin and Annmarie
    This show is fabulous.
    Please bring some more today .

108. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am endlessly curious about wild food.

Wild foods are soooooooooooooooo valuable.

They are highest in vitamins, minerals, and biophotons. They will never be polluted with GMO DNA. They will never be illegal. They can not be eradicated. And they are FREE!

They are evidence of the truth that there is always a way out of our predicaments.

We all really NEED to know more about wild edibles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all your GREAT work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was great to meet you and Annmarie at the Retreat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pamela Melcher
    (AKA The Cheerleader!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

109. Genevieve says:

I could not access this show today — nothing came through. Second time this week that has happened. I live in Canada … not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I LOVE the topic of wild plants though and some years back took a course on it at the university and at the end of the course we all went out into the woods and had to forage for enough food to make a complete meal for all of us. It was incredibly fun.

Is there anotehr way I can see this segment?

Many thanks for all your shows. They are wonderful and I always look forward to them.

110. Jason says:

Give me more Love Bridgette’s work

111. Heather says:

This information is exactly what we all need right now with all that is happening in the foods that are made available from the grocery store.

Thank you so much for providing such valuable information. As you can see by all the posts you have hit a high spot for many of your following.

I live in Alberta Canada and would love to hear of the types of plants available in my area.

112. Christian says:

This is must see TV for the masses! Please keep educating us so these traditions are not lost.

113. Tino says:

Kevin,

Definitely! More shots of the plant upclose. Also, could you or Brigette talk about where horsetail grows (certain climates). Finally if you and Annmarie could get into the kitchen and perhaps find ways of preparing it into a tea and perhaps even a green smoothie. That would be awesome!!!!

114. Rev Bob says:

I find Brigitte very interesting.

115. Kathryn says:

This is the type of info we all need more of. The one hurdle that has kept me from progressing to 100% raw is the amount of food I can not get locally. I have spent the last 7 years living off the land (so I’ve eaten weeds regularly) and a recent move has placed me where I will have to start over. Grocery stores are “nice” and I do like coconuts, dates, and oranges, but they are not local fare and I can not center my diet around something trucked or flown in from the other side of the globe. Keep up the good work!

116. Robert says:

Yes. We want to know how to identify more edible plants. It would be good to even see more related video from various parts of the country where different edible plants are found.

117. Cindy says:

Yes, I would definetly like to see more of this..It is so helpfull to see the herbs and plants and have someone tell you in person, so to speak, how tey are used and how they work.
    Very good show!!
    Cindy

118. Ron Williams says:

As we progress toward 100% raw, I wonder about sodium. Are we getting enough from our food? After many years of being told by doctors to reduce my salt, do I now need to use salt? Sea salt? Any advice? Thanks, Ron

119. Ron says:

Yes,Yes……Also seeking any info on Wildcrafting & related courses…It is back to the roots.
    Namaste
    Ron

120. victore says:

I buy horsetail tea for my osteoporosis. How can I tell if it was harvested in the spring?
    Yes, I’d like to see more of Brigitte’s nature walk please…

121. Ruth Shivani says:

Wow! so many comments.! YES – yes please Love this systers energy. bless you and thankyou x

122. Tyra McMahon says:

sure would. Just bought some dried horsetail at farmer’s market to make tea but now wondering if she picked it before the summer solstice. Love making sun tea with it. I also add some lemon balm leaves I having growing out back.

123. Kat says:

YES please! LOVE learning about wild plants! 🙂

124. Audrey says:

Yes, please show more! Thanks!!!

125. JUANITA says:

YES PLEASE

126. Torey Taylor says:

Great show as usual and Yes I definitely want to see more.

127. Dr Jerome says:

Thank you Kevin for this very interesting video. I hope to learn more from Brigitte Mars and try to use it in France wild back yard.
    Jerome

128. Debbie says:

Absolutely! These are the things we can all learn to survive on and be healthier for it! If more people learned what wild plants are edible and their purposes, we wouldn’t have to eat all the animal products and other crap that they try to shove down our throats. I would love to see this kind of education in schools and on television full time!

God Bless you for bringing this to us, and for all the hard work that you both do! Please know that you are greatly appreciated.

Much Love

129. Chris & Sara says:

More more more!! We absolutely love it!!
    This is our heritage and should definitely be learned and passed on.
    thank you so much for sharing your beautiful adventures~
    What a blessing.

Aloha

130. Liliane says:

Yes, more please. Love learning about foraging. I sometimes put purslane from my yard in my salad.

131. Joni says:

Loved it – SO interesting. Would love to see more!

132. Beth says:

Yes, more from Bridgette, and more on edible plants.

133. Brent says:

Hi Kev, would love to see all you got on foraging!:) I live near Epping Forest London where I go to pick nettle and would love to discover other plants to eat there..thanks!

134. Karen Jackson says:

Yes! I want to see every second you have on wild edibles. So very interesting!

135. donna harris says:

i would like to see it all.

136. Sacha says:

OUI OUI OUI!! More wild edible education please! MERCI 😀

137. nashima says:

Yes please, I would love to see more!

138. Joseph Diamond says:

YES, Brigitte is awesome

139. Tsivya says:

I have become a renegadehealth addict and am recommending your stuff to all my raw and trying to be raw friends. Both you guys are doing a great service.

Loved Brigitte. Would like to know if that is all her natural hair color!

140. anabel says:

Wonderful topic. Thanks Bee Lady for mentioning how it works for Bladder stones and tumors. Tomorrow, my significant other is going in for surgery to have a bladder tumor removed (discovered about 2 weeks ago). I’m going to our local herb shop and getting some horsetail right now.

Talk about timely.

With gratitude,
    anabel

141. monica says:

Yes. How about one of these talks in El Salvador in Los Ranchos, the place I am living in now. How do they do this edible eating in places like Central America where there are insects and snakes that can kill you. Are there any cures for scorpion bites, deadly ones. Have you ever heard of Guaco root?

142. Katya says:

I want to see more!

143. Pat says:

TYOU KEV

144. Liana says:

Yes, please!! 🙂 LOVE Brigitte! Thank you Kev & Anne!

145. Marissa says:

This was the first year I harvested wild yarrow…I found this vid very encourageing. Thank you 🙂

146. Jo-Ann says:

yes, I found the information very interesting. Thanks

147. Kimberly says:

Love it! Yes, more! show us all you’ve got!

Thanks you two

148. Esther says:

Yes please. What a great talk! More please, can’t wait. Thanks Esther

149. kate says:

Yes …. I would love to see more talks on wild foods. Thankyou.

150. susie says:

MORE MORE MORE!
    Wildman Steve Brill is lots of fun too!

151. Denise says:

Yes, I would like to see more footage of the wild foods, herbs etc. Thanks!!!

152. Marijana says:

Yes, really interesting video! Thank you.

PS: I have one question: do we need actual proteins or do we need nutrients so our body can build up our own protein? Thank you for answer.

153. wendy says:

Yes! Even my kids want more of this kind of info!
    Thanks

154. MARY THOMAS says:

YES PLEASE, ABSOLUTELY FASCINATING!

155. Jeni says:

Hi guys

More of this type of footage please. It is SO important to know what herbs oook like and to get the right identification. Hard from pictures in books as it is easy to get the wrong one.

156. Rose says:

…Yes,Yes!Please keep it up with the wild edibles….for as many different wild edibles that are nutritious & worth the hunt!
    …Can anyone out there confirm that the invasive purple loosestrife blossom eatable that we have in abundance here in New Hampshire, USA now? I seem to recall that it is but I want to be sure before I partake(of course)!
    Please keep it going for as long as you can get wild info footage…Please do not stop!!
    …Drive on east to NH and I’ll share what I eat from the wild! …Blessings to all who need w.e.to survive these hard economic times, ~Rose

157. Kimberly says:

YES!! Thank you for everything you share with us!

158. Betoman says:

Yes, absolutely. We all need to learn to eat locally without leaving the block.

159. Nancy says:

Yes, yes! Please show more of Brigitte Mars! She has a wealth of very important information we can all use right now! As a great teacher, she enriches our appreciation of the flora found along our nature trails and shows us how these very hardy plants and herbs can nurture, heal and sustain us! Show more of her and others like her! Thank you both for all you to to encourage a healthy lifestyle for your quickly growing audience of fans!

160. Karen says:

Yes please, we need more info on finding and identifying wild edibles. Also some info on medicinal plants like plantain (the weed…not the banana thing) and how it relieves the pain/itch from bug bites/stings.

161. J o Anne Boudreau says:

Love anything about my wild & weedy herbs…horsetail is one of the best so really loved Bridgette on this healing herb. I grow my own in a big tub of water. Scottish Dr. Samual Samps said back in the fifteenth century…if everyone would drink a cup of horsetail tea a week three-fourths of the people in mental institutes could be released. Ever heard the saying…It pisses me off? Horsetail is good for the kidneys and anger control. Love you and want more of Bridgette.

162. Patsy says:

The more the merrier:) Thanks and Keep up the Great Work!

163. Jackie Bowen says:

I would love to hear more. And specifically on what in our yards or locally is eatable and how to pick it, and eat it. For example I have dandelions in my yard, am I able to pick them and eat them? All or part.
    Also if purchasing from a health food store such as horse tail is it still a viable product.