Dr. Douglas Graham on Candida Part 1 – The Renegade Health Show Episode #383

Thursday Aug 27, 2009 | BY |

Some of you asked for it…

So here it is! Dr. Douglas Graham’s thoughts on candida. 🙂

This is a controversial topic and for some a controversial way to handle yeast overgrowth. This is NOT the protocol that I used. The reason I’m publishing this interview is for a few reasons which I’ll outline here…

1. I personally like Doug.

2. As a journalist, it’s important to bring other sides of my story or belief systems to the audience (and be as unbiased as possible).

3. I think he makes some important distinctions here particularly about making sure you stick to the plan (if you choose this way) and that if there are underlying issues it may NOT work.

The last last distinction… about the underlying issues… I don’t think is generally made by those who follow Doug’s work. At least from the people who’ve mentioned it to me.

So here is part one, and I’ll have some more comments for part two! 🙂

Your question of the day: What are your thoughts so far?

1. Christina Dodson says:

Great info so far, but Dr. Graham’s voice is so faint that he’s very hard to listen to (even with the volume turned up to the max).

Keep up the good work. I love your show!

Christina

2. Sonia says:

Great info. as usual…I’m looking forward to more. Thanks so much!

3. Tracy says:

This is very interesting and seems to make so much sense!! Can’t wait for tomorrow!

Tracy

4. James says:

Brilliant.

5. I still kind of don’t get it!

6. Rene Oswald says:

I personally suffered with Candida overgrowth for over 30 years, trying every Anti-Candida diet, medication and herb available, with only temporary relief. About 3 years ago I started following Doug Graham’s approach and I have been free from Candida overgrowth ever since. I have worked with many ohers who have followed the program with amazing results. Thanks for another enlightlening show that will surely help many people!

7. Pat says:

Can’t wait till part 2 if he confronts the issue for those with wanting candida to die off, if he still promotes he’s High fruit/frcutose/sugar diet…or maybe something else?
    Thanks kevin

8. Alyse says:

So far this makes sense. Looking forward to Part 2. QUESTION FOR KEVIN: What was YOUR protocol for ridding yourself of Candidiasis?

9. Cay says:

Wow! You got to interview Doug. How fun! I am currently following his 80/10/10 diet and LOVE it, but I’m having a difficult time giving up onions and garlic. I would like to know *exactly* what’s wrong with consuming these two foods. Can you ask him?

Thanks! Love your show!

Cay Snow

10. donna harris says:

iwant to hear the rest of the story

11. k says:

Thank you for all your information, even this.

However, we would much rather learn YOUR protocol and ALL the steps you took in dealing with the candida problem.

After dealing with chronic candida and trying many protocols, I do not agree with Dr Graham’s philosophy about fruit, fat, candida, etc.(at least not for my body!)

Please make recommendations based on what you did ! That truly would be AWESOME….

And are you “healed” now, or shall I say, in proper balance??

Thank you so much.

12. Rob West says:

Dr. Graham makes perfect sense. I know that if I stick to a mostly fruit diet I feel better and have great energy.

13. Mak says:

Hi Kevin,
    would like to know more about THYROID, hypo (female) and hyper (male)-what to do…is diet alone good enough to balance levels of?
    thanks a lot, all your shows and guests are so interesting.

14. Allen says:

Interesting bit at 4:12 that most people are unaware of that they should know, where he references the excitotoxins in processed food. These are chemicals which stimulate brain cells in the hypothalamus until the brain cells die, which is why they are called excitotoxins. Dr. Russell Blaylock wrote a whole book on the subject called Excitotoxins, where he tells us what they are, and what they do to the brain. Aspartame, MSG, and hydrolyzed vegetable protein are all neurotoxic.

Also notable is that he says the bloom and die-off happens within a span of hours.

15. cherie says:

Interesting, BUT been-there, done-that, so to speak. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Would MUCH rather hear YOUR PROTOCOL,
    the steps you took to deal with your candida problem.

AND – are you “healed” now ??

MUCHO Thanx

16. cher says:

Would MUCH rather hear YOUR PROTOCOL,
    the steps you took to deal with your candida problem.

AND – are you “healed” now ??

MUCHO Thanx

17. Eric J Shadd says:

Hey Kev & Annmarie,

Sounds great “on paper” or in this case “via video”, but does it work in real life? For me, at this time, a high fruit diet would be the death of me. That may be due to a history of endocrine challenges and lots of antibiotics. This is very interesting though and I look forward to learning more.

Safe travels. Off to Raw Spirit DC tomorrow. Should be a ball.

Best, Eric

18. Amelina says:

I appreciate the way Dr. Graham speaks. He explains things very clearly.

I can’t wait for part 2, hopefully discussed is what he recommends for people who feel they have candida problems.

Also, I’d LOVE to know what you did, Kevin, to get your candida under control!

19. markstar says:

The word from Dr. Graham is authoritative and you would benefit from his experiences and expertise in the field of natural hygeine if you were more interested in health and nutrition than you are in selling your products and promoting yourselves. By the way: since you mentioned the fact that (by your own design and intention) your own child is a cooked food eater, you’ve revealed yourselves to be a fraud, biased joulnalists, and child-abusers. Please don’t dominate the rap, Jack if you’ve got nothing new to say. If you please, don’t back up this track, this train’s got to run today!

20. Joy says:

This is really important – I have followed Dr. G for a long time – only recently did I try something different…and realized that 811 is VERY flawed for those with compromised systems…if you have GOOD gut flora, it can work – if you don’t, it can be worse than SAD..be safe, know where you are starting…that is key with using a 811 concept.

21. 108Karen says:

I am eagerly awaiting the remainder of his message. hmmm very interesting so far.

22. Debra says:

very interesting. I suffer from Candida, as well as a failing thyroid and adrenals. And was just recently told that my fasting blood sugar was a little high too. I would love to know if Candida is causing all of this, and what I can do. Most raw food diets recommend a lot of fruit, which I think I’m not supposed to eat. I would love to hear how Kevin dealt with Candida and got his problem under control.

23. Fortune says:

Forutne: I actually did a 23 water fast w/D.Graham a few years ago..in the hope of eradicating the candida that he claimed a 7 day H2O fast would do. The very first day of re-feeding (small amount of watermelon) my sypmtoms of fatigue, seeing floaters, bloating reoccured!!! I’m a Colon Therapist VERY intune w/my body. His info is flawed and I found to be arrogant and totally egocentric….needing to hold onto his belief system no matter what…One of our fasters, went home and died…Don’t like to sound negative or bad mouth..but he is NoT a caring or as knowledgable a person as he tries to present…Wolf in sheeps clothing. Won’t apolagize for what I (and others) have experienced…VERY closed minded..

24. Edgar D says:

This dude is awesome and speaks with knowledge and intuition,,,,,,,Graet show Kevin and Annmarie

25. phil says:

Kevin, what is your protocol for candida?

26. Chel says:

dig it.

80/10/10 feels the way i thought raw oughta feel. no more super-foods, supplements, and expensive gourmet stuff for me.

fruit please :)!

27. Jeff Laster says:

What about you hosting a live debate on the larger issue of high fruit 80/10/10 vrs.high fat lower fruit raw food diet (in front of some form of live audience or on live conference call) with the likes of Doug Graham, Gabriel Cousens, David Wolfe and perhaps even a mainstream non-raw nutritionist.

Face to face (live or on conference video of some sort) debates between leading proponents of different views on raw food nutrition can clarify issues in a way no other ‘medium’ can.

Best, Jeff Laster

28. Chel says:

Also, i just wanted to commend you guys for doing real health shows. i kind of bounce back and fourth between your show and another raw food show and it seems like the other one is nothing but a freakin infomercial anymore. it’s gross. yours actually presents useful information. thank you 🙂

29. Pamme says:

I’m finding the 811 diet is the simplest raw diet. Not a lot of work preparing meals, just eating produce in the form provided by nature, no trash (only compost). I visited mountain gorillas this summer in Congo. From what I could see, they eat an 811 diet, and the Silverback weighs 700 lbs!

At first, I had trouble with 811, I felt cold and had chills in the morning. I thought it was the fruit. But once I cut out a lot of fat from my diet, everything balanced out.

I did lose a lot of weight as well which was not desired as I am already thin. But then I found out that on 811 I was not eating dense foods like I was before… and to get my calories, I had to eat “more bits.”

Thanks Kevin & Doug!

30. Pamme says:

more bites! 🙂

31. Suzanne says:

Excellent topic! I have been hoping you would someday interview Dr. Graham. His dietary recommendations make sense, and he explains them very well, but I would like you to ask him about anti-aging, specifically in connection with ideas I have heard that such a diet is too low in protein, minerals, and essential fatty acids to fulfill our requirements for anti-aging effects, strong bones, smooth, unlined skin, thick, healthy hair, and proper endocrine support. Should we not have thick, healthy hair without having to dye it, a well-balanced endocrine system, etc., if our diet is appropriate? We should be the picture of health, but so many people who are on the Internet expounding their various viewpoints on optimal health look older than their years, are overweight, wear glasses, etc. Shouldn’t our natural, species-appropriate diet keep us healthy and attractive until an advanced age? Does the 80/10/10 diet do that for the majority of those who follow it? I would like to hear from people who have tried it for a lengthy period of time. Thanks, and keep up the good work!

32. Michael says:

I’ve been trying to figure out if I have a candida problem. It ‘s a challenge to hear all these different approaches but I appreciate the info. How did you, Kevin, handle your candida issue???

33. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

Hi Markstar,

That is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve EVER seen posted on my blog.

BTW: These “unbiased journalists and child-abusers” have no children. 🙂

34. Jennifer says:

I have noticed that when I keep the fat low and the fruit higher my symptoms lapse and my energy increases. But, the minute I add too much fat I crave and symptoms return. I still struggle with emotional eating however, and haven’t done this or raw 100% as of yet. The lowest I’ve gotten my fat to was just under 30%.

35. Carachi says:

The thing I want to know is WHY you did not follow Dr. Grahams protocol, and if you did, why you did not continue?
    And also it would be most interesting to hear Dr. Grahams comments on that!

Also – an open debate with fat agains fruit-opponents on Candida (and other issuses?) would be SO interesting!

36. Jennifer from the UK says:

I appreciate DOug Grahams clear and patient explanation. I have yet to try 80/10/10 as I would find it hard to let go of fats, these are what I crave after juicefeasting. I value his opinion. His seniority and longevity within the raw food scene are reason enough to listen to what he has to say with an open mind. My wish is that our community will reach consensus as to an optimum nutritional approach that serves us all.
    I await part II eagerly. Thank you Kevin

37. Carachi says:

One more thing, that has been on my mind for a while:

Would the 80/10/10 diet work for a middle aged woman with adreanal, thyroid, hormonal and/or intestinal problems?

I get the feeling this diet is very beneficial for a young healthy man – or men in general? Or young/healthy people in general?
    I have read women need more fat for their hormonal balance.

In theory it sounds all good and attractive, but I doubt I could manage all that fruit in reality. I get sugar rush if I eat to much fruit… I need to balance it out with a LOT of greens then, and in the end turn to fat to satisfy my hunger…
    Would be interesting to hear a fruit proponent like Dr. Graham adress this diet if having these issues.

38. Johno says:

awesome show -had candida -dealt with it using 80-10-10. easy peasy but if i found i had difficulty with any aspect of candida or anything else i would have a personal consult with Dr Doug Graham.

looking forward to the next chapter. thanks again Kevin And Ann-Marie (btw I think you guys would be fantastic parents…..hmmm maybe you can call you first son Johno lol)

39. Dalma says:

It was great! Dr. Graham is one of my favourite experts.. since I’ve read his book i follow his 80/10/10 program and I can’t tell how much it changed me inside and outside aswell. He is GReaT and I couldn’t tell his age 🙂 😀 keep up going guys!

40. rawfor24years says:

Kev,

Why bother addressing the idiot (markstar)? For a second, he sounded like he had an opinion, but then he quickly turned into a nutbag. He obviously has you two confused with someone else…actually, he appears to have himself confused with someone else, as well.

41. Didiydi says:

Well kudos to you and Dr Graham for deciding to go ahead with this video, even though it will clearly cause controversy.

I would also like to know what was your basic protocol.

After trying to heal candida for 1,5 years I found out that it is body’s last resort to protect itself from Mercury poisoning because it binds mercury on it (and I have 6 amalgam fillings). I read that in the case of heavy metal toxicity what seems to be a candida die-off is actually mercury being released into the body.

All my other symptoms, such as chronic fatigue, all major organ problems, brain problems are in fact stage 4 of mercury toxicity. I finally understood why I couldn’t keep up with anti-candida diet and after a while will start bingeing on bread and sugars.

Someone asked about garlic and onions- I was asked to stop any food that are high in mercury and besides fish those are: chicken, eggs, and sulphur foods- onions, garlic and leek. Mercury comes from fertilizers and chicken manure and sulphur rich vegetables easily pick it up.

42. Rene Oswald says:

Carachi is so right! I’ve found that most people experience a sugar-rush imbalance from eating fruit by itself. When those that I work with complain that they can’t consume fruit, then start eating it with greens and avoid eating fat with or near the time they eat the fruit, they generally stop having problems. We should learn from the primates that fruit should be consumed with greens. This is especially true at this time, since most fruit is hybridized. We grow bananas and I find an amazing difference in how I feel when I eat bananas from our tree, compared with commercial grown ones.
    Proper food combining is critical with Candida overgrowth and when it is practiced correctly most people find fruit to be an important part of their diet. I’ve found that most people who avoid fruit end up eating a very high fat diet with too many nuts, seads, avocado, oils etc. to make up for the calorie loss. Fruit are higher calorie and prevent the overconsumption of fat for most people. It’s very difficult to near impossible to get enough calories from vegetalbles and greens alone. Many people start eating sprouted grains to increase their calories only to find they have different problems from consuming grains (see my blog post on grains–http://reneoswald.com/blog/ )
    Sorry for the lengthy post!

43. Lorna says:

For years now I have struggled to feel healthy with what I now know to be a high fat (but fairly typical) raw diet.

A few months ago, in desperation, I bought the 801010 book and just did it. My energy rose, my blood sugar balanced and my candida went. And I finally love raw food – no more pretending to like nut burgers and grated root veg! However, I recognise it is very early days.

I have big concerns about lack of Vit D in a Northern climate (in a few weeks that will be it until April!), K2, long-chain fatty acids and whether I’ll get liver & gallbladder problems from such low fat – presumably the bile isn’t flowing so much? (I recognise the former issues aren’t confined to 801010).

Given these dilemmas, my greatest wish is to know whether those people who knock 801010 have read the book(s), have tried the diet and to know actually what the problem with it is.

It can’t be lack of minerals as the diet encourages lots of greens – and I eat far more of them now that I’m not filling up on fats. And I feel that I can actually absorb them.

Which really is better, high fat or high fruit? Can we all just act like the responsible adults that we are and debate the issue openly and in an informed way.

Thank you! Lorna

44. Mary says:

Oh my!! This is all so confusing. I am pretty new to all of this and I don’t know for sure what the 80/10/10 is. I am guessing 80% fruit, 10% something else and 10% something else.
    I am at present trying to get rid of too much candida. I am taking large doses of supplements of various kinds. NO sugar, or try very hard to stay away from any form of it. This means, no fruit, no breads, no alcohol, no dates, no juices from fruits, no peanuts ( molds ), not much of anything. It is really hard and I am asked to do this for 4 months to improve my health. I also worry about the heavy metals they found in my blood. I am thinking it is from my fillings. If nothing else, I am going to lose weight from starving.
    I have a family that doesn’t eat the same way, and this is very difficult to make two meals at every meal.
    And alot of this is brought on by stress!!??
    Mary

45. christina says:

Kevin,
    I am not a nutritionist but a social worker and for twelve years worked in parent education. A valuable skill I taught new parents was to ‘Actively Ignore’ a misbehaving child. The specific behavior is ignored, not the child, and it is the best way I know of to extinguish an undesirable behavior. If you and Annmarie become parents (I believe you will be wonderful parents) you may, then, use this technique. When it comes to hostile or irrational subscribers, you may wish to employ it now.
    Best to you both!
    P.S. Food for Thought; I do prefer to be referenced as a ‘subscriber’ or ‘member’ as opposed to a ‘fan.’ It just lends a feeling of mutual respect. Thanks!

46. Kathryn says:

I’m with Mary on some of this. I’ve worked in and around the health food industry for a little over 10 years and I’ve read and absorbed a lot in that time and I still don’t feel as if I know very much. What I do know and pay attention to is what I eat and how I feel after I eat it. I’m hoping to find others in transition that would like to discuss the bumps and road blocks they run into being in a household where they are the only one interested in raw food. Even though the “Experts” sound really good I usually get turned off when they speak in generalities, but give no evidence of having lived it first. Let’s here more of your story Kevin and if I’ve missed it maybe I’ll find it in the archives as I make my way through them.

Kathryn

47. Frederik Ackermann says:

How old is Dr. Douglas Graham? – to me doesn’t look like a person at his optimal health, in fact he looks pretty average, but without the gut 😉 People like David Wolfe, Daniel Vitalis, Mike Adams, you (the Giannnis) look a lot healthier, now mind you, all of these people are probably a lot younger – but how much?
    An besides compare him with Jon Barron (who I suppose is more in his age range) and he stills looks fairly unhealthy – his skin is very red, and his hair is extermly thin – isn’t this guy supposed to be at optimal health?

48. Gudni says:

People can be very attached to their “truth”. It seems that the component of this attachment that we have to think of our selfs or others as less if we or they are mistaken. Then we disguise it with skeptic attitude. I have found that Douglas Graham is right about some things that I have tried on myself. I am still thou not convinced about the whole 80 10 10 diet, but I know that I felt great on it. Some little pains went away that didn´t on higher fat raw diet. Even unexplainable joy started to creep once or twice up for no reason. But there were some other problems that didn´t go away. Now I am experementing with other foods but keeping the attitude of moderate fat (in right amount and type for me), high fruit, high vegetables and avoidance of the wrong food, like cane sugar, salt, strong spices and so on (in general). I have found that Douglas Graham is right about certain things like salt, vinegar, and garlic being poisonous. I experimented on myself with that finding that the body wanted to get rid of that stuff when it was introduced into the body. It is thou possible that vinegar might change its chemical structure when honey is put into it and therefore it gets less poisonous, having in mind that many foods are “poisonous” but the body deals with it. So what I am trying to say is that what he is saying makes a lots of sense and in my experience I have proven to myself that what he is saying might be right, at least some of it. It makes a lots of sense that fat might affect the body in such a way that it hinders the body to take up the sugars in the blood and therefore a emergency rescue team called Candida comes for rescue (I wonder if he was influenced by Captain America when he was a little boy(how old is he?)). While I felt great on the high fruit diet then it is unfortunate that I do think I need also lots of EPA, DHA Omega 3 oils (maybe). But that is because of my unique case. So in retrospect, lets be open minded because knowing that you don´t know is wisdom and you might find your options widens (therefore your searchlight) and opportunities come about. Having heard someone you looked up to or cared about saying something else. Or you identified your problem with certain “truth” and you got attached to it for your own rescue (religion) and it might have worked somewhat then it doesn´t mean that something else might not be better. We have to be responsible for our own buttocks and find our own “truth” within the frame of what others say, experiment and therefore find what works for us at each time (not religion). Simply because there is no truth, there is only now and the opportunity to move forward and the more open minded we are about taking and feeling what sounds right and heed the warnings and the stop signs which our intuition gives us when we actually start to listen to it. Then our way forward is fast in terms of many lifetimes. So…enough of this babble

P.s
    This babble was not directed to any particular person or religion like Science, Christianity, Islam or any others “truths” that becomes religion when people get attached to it.

49. Helena says:

To the comment about his age…

Dr. Graham is in his mid 50’s. I have been to several courses and events of his and he said at 16 he could pass as over 21… so he’s known he always looked older than his age. He said it is a family trait. He is also the father of a 4 year old and sole provider for his family which makes anyone add on some years.

But in my experience at his events, very few younger people could keep up with him physically. His stamina, balance, agility, endurance and strength are to be admired. There is a reason why his primary clients are all professional athletes. It is amazing he can still challenge someone in the prime of their athletic career.

Personally, his diet has been a tremendous asset in my health and healing. I can’t imagine life without 80/10/10.
    Kevin, keep up the interviews with Dr. Graham!!!

50. Grace says:

When I changed my diet six years ago, I was not bombarded by ideas of raw vs. cooked. My concern was to eliminate white sugar, table salt, flour, non organic meats, processed foods, hydrogenated oils, and dairy. I became conscious of the concept of whole foods. Needless to say, the changes were dramatic. I gravitated towards macrobiotics, which at first, appeared to be very restrictive but I think, in retrospect, it was because of my limited ideas about what it meant to be ‘macrobiotic.’ I think that’s the problem with diet and lifestyle changes, we’re always trying to label ourselves somehow, always trying to find the ‘perfect’ regime and in doing so, we become so bloody dogmatic which is self-defeating and no one wants to be around you, no matter how much you ‘glow.’ But I tell you, when I started to include more fruit in my diet, I started to break out, my skin tone became uneven and I just didn’t have the same kind of affinity some people in the raw food movement have with fruits. I was forcing myself to get into something my body was telling me not to go ahead with. And I was already in a very good place, health wise. But I enjoy experimenting, so there you go! I don’t believe in a one size fits all. And the topic of ‘transition’ needs to be addressed. But one thing I’ve learned is that all ‘gurus’ want to be right and think that they are, even in the face of other anecdotal evidence or ‘scientific’ research that may suggest otherwise. Each will have his/her own followers as results dictate. So what? If it’s working for you, stick with it. If it doesn’t feel right, and we’ve all heard the little voice, then don’t do it. I don’t trust anyone who tells me there is only one way to do something. It is completely untrue. Beware of dogma!!

51. sherry says:

Hi there ,
    So grateful you have finally interviewed dr.d., He is a very brilliant man as I have had the pleasure of meeting him in vancouver b.c., He will also be speaking in victoria in sept of this year …I do have most all his educational materials as every thing he speaks of makes total sense, but you truly really need to focus and commit to this way of eating or else you certainly have negative adverse effects especially with candida and bacterial overgrowth and a completely messed up endocrine system, so if you choose this way of living keep those fats incredibly low and make sure you are giving yourself quality and quantity sleep and exercise…
    He is my guru!
    Take care
    Sherry

52. Louise says:

Hey Kevin:

I am so glad to see and hear more information about Candida. I think Dr. Graham is describing the normal physiology of the normal human however that species does not exist anymore so I would like to see more examples of why people have chronic episodes of candida imbalances. If the candida went back into normal homeostatis as Doug describes then we would not have immune compromised disorders. The fact that we have such an abundance of choas in the body is a little deeper and I hope he describes how lethal extended periods of candida overgrowth is to the body. Bringing Candida under control is difficult, most people do not succeed to control it. I am anxious to hear part two.
    Good Job Kevin, I am really enjoying the Fort Bragg series, it’s the best I’ve seen from you so far.

Louise

53. diane West says:

All I can say is the Man Changed my life, I am 55 year old female, people tell me I look at least 10 -15 years younger than I am, I use to have candida ,big time for about 2 years at least, low thyroid, ecxema, high cholestrol,pms,issues,prolapsed uterus,sinse I was 38 years old, and many other symtoms, i started with macrobiotic,went to vegateriam,to vegan,to high raw, and got better ,but did not recover totally, finally and thankyou God, I found 811,and the dr.doug, and within 2 weeks, candida-gone!!!!!! face rash clears, 7 months later and several blood tests done I lost 15 pounds have more enery than ever before,and all the rest of my issues(GONE!!!!!!!) I wouldnt give up this life style if you begged me. I just wish everyone would give it a shot, if you follow the program,and not follow what you think it should be, but do it the right way YOU WILL SEE RESULTS!!! Dr doug is genuine and a very kind person, to answer endless questions and try to help as many people as he can, Im sure that is a big bill to fill and it can take its toll on him, but he is very giving of himself, and I applaud that. I hope you are trying the protacol,Kevin cause it works.

54. Suzy Karasik says:

Wow, there’s lots of great responses there, clearly candida is an issue for many people. Thanks for the forum! I have yet to read the book so I will comment further when I do. I found Frederick Patenaude to be much more benevolent and explanatory. I tend to believe that I am not as plagued with candida in my bloodstream, but in the enclosed system of my digestive tract. If in my bloodstream that would mean I have leaky gut and undigested food and candida (which bores these holes) is seeping out through microscopic tears in my intestinal wall and spreading throughout my system, building a meshlike colony that wraps around joints and causes even more inflammation. Had that, healed from that.
    My question is more about the digestive tract itself, now healthy and in tact, or so I think. The issue is real estate in the digestive tract, especially the small intestine, and which of these critters will populate the available terrain. If candida dominates then the good guys have nowhere to live and support healthy cell growth and my pH gets all out of whack, havoc ensues.
    For such a microscopic organism it sure is powerful, it eats my nutrients and loves an acidic environment and when it eats, it poops acetaldehyde and makes me have wild dreams. Kinda fun but weird. The symptoms I have read, are all over the board, I don’t even know for sure if I have it anymore. I read once that if your eyes itch it is candida.
    So I have been eating mostly fruit throughout the day for the past week, my eyes itch but I am less hungry and want very much to believe that the 80-10-10 works. What do we do if we can’t jet to Costa Rica and have access to ripe fruit 24/7 ? Most fruit is picked when it is not ripe and is thus, more acidic. That is what most of us have access to for 9 months of the year. I don’t have any fruit trees in my yard. What about frozen fruit? Is it dead, was it picked unripened?
    Yikes,I had not yet read about onions and garlic, that will be a big disappointment to me..jeepers beav – I’ve been doing all of this a long time too, and sometimes I get so flustered, have no idea what I can eat. So..I just drink Jameth Sheridan’s products and figure I can trust him.
    Doug Graham seemed rather intolerant of people with questions and was getting bombarded by other experts who have clinics and have saved many lives with proven results.
    I dunno, I’ll keep reading, experimenting, learning and sharing. That has value.
    One thing I have personally experienced: just because people are vegan/raw or have changed from the SAD doesn’t mean that they come from a place of love and acceptance (without judgement) or they are any more professional in their business dealings or keep their word. Being on the outside, it feels more like a secret club. Many sit on that side of the table and if we on the other side don’t buy something, there is very little interest in relationship. I’ve yet to have anyone be very interested in who I am, or ask me what are my passions, my life experience and how I use those tremendous gifts to be in the world. Those of us who follow this movement also have value and are unique in our own lives… Some of us have been around for a very long time and were hip to lots of knowledge and information that somehow seems to be “just discovered” go figure!

55. Jeannie says:

I watched the 1st episode of the interview but do not know much about this 811 diet, so I’m a little confused. I too suffer from Candida overgrowth, and have had numerous problems with it for years. I found Donna Gates’ book, The Body Ecology Diet, to be the thing that changed my life. It’s certainly a difficult diet to adhere to, but it’s been the only thing that’s ever remedied my problems. And anyone who knows this diet knows it calls for limited amounts of fruits, especially during the 1st 4 months where you can really only eat lemons, limes, cranberries, and a little bit of blackberries or raspberries or acai. I know for me personally if I eat fruit it does not agree with me. Lemons, limes, acai & cranberries are fine, but pretty much anything else makes me sick to my stomach, almost immediately.

So although I’m pretty leary about this mostly fruit diet, I’m still going to watch the following interview(s) and check out his website, maybe book, maybe there’s something I can utilize from him. There’s another good book that’s helped me called Patient Heal Thyself by Jordan Rubin. It’s pretty much the same diet as the Body Ecology Diet; he calls it the Maker’s Diet, yes, from the bible. Hey, he cured himself of Crones Disease when he was knocking on death’s door with this diet, and is now completely healthy & helping the rest of us cure ourselves thru food instead of western medicine in this crazy prescription land we live in.

And yes Kevin, how did you cure yourself of Candida overgrowth? Also, does anyone know of a reputable doctor in the New York City area who believes in Candida overgrowth? I keep finding doctors who won’t even test me for it because they don’t believe in it, and I found out that in the state of NY a dr can’t even request a Candida blood test to be done. What’s up with that? Prescription nation! Outrageous!!!! Heaven forbid we cure or better ourselves naturally.

Thanks for everything!
    Jeannie

56. Wow! Lots of good comments. I am so glad you interviewed Doug Kevin! Thank you.

Besides being one of my favorite people in the world, Doug’s diet changed my life and health-and has really kept me eating raw. After over 2 years on a 100% high fat diet, I almost gave up on it because I was having so many issues.

I was on a cooked anti candida diet for almost a year with no results, a 100% raw anti candida diet(high fat, high veg, no fruit) for months with no results (in fact it created problems and I didnt like it! I like my fruit). Then i switched to a 100% raw diet for 2 years (high fat raw-my diet consisted of lots of veggies and greens, a little fruit, green juices (2 quarts a day for a long time), lots of nuts and seeds, avocadoes, olives, coconut etc. and that too created problems and I ended up dealing with uncontrollable cravings for sweets, digestive problems, teeth problems, and a worsened acne condition in addition to candida symptoms. Finally, I heard about low fat raw -Dougs diet got me feeling so much better and at peace with my body in a matter of weeks-and that was 4 years ago, and I’m not looking back. The 80/10/10 diet deserves your honest effort if you are really serious about eating raw long term, especially if you are wanting to eat high or 100% raw. If I ever had any concerns, I just got educated about it(read his book, read others on natural hygiene), and talked with Doug about it. He is always extremely helpful.

Also, I attended one of Doug’s fasting retreats in Costa Rica a few years ago, and fasted for 20 days on water, and had amazing results! I want to do it again! I always had horrible experiences fasting before that and fasting with Doug and his team was such a beautiful peaceful time… it is a highlight of my life.

One person commented that they thought he is ego-centric. I have to disagree. My experience in interacting with him is that he is one of the most giving, generous people I know. With his time especially. He spends hours answering peoples questions via his email, website and discussion forum on vegsource.com, often the same questions over and over again. 🙂 He genuinely cares. His manner may sometimes be misunderstood but I know that his heart is good. Doug just knows who he is, knows that he has something important to say(like he said – health is a matter of life or death), and he says it with conviction and clarity. And he has a lot of years, education and experience to back it up.

🙂

Thanks again Kevin for interviewing him! Can’t wait for part 2!

~Christina:)

57. oops in the 2nd paragraph of my post I meant to say a 100% high fat RAW diet, not a 100% high fat diet.

Happy Day,
    ~Christina:)

58. Irondoll says:

Where was Roz Ruben and Faychesca. I love and adore Roz and have had some wonderful conversations with her…SHE rocks!

59. Beth says:

Interesting so far.
    I love that you provide all kinds of information, even if it isn’t what you personally follow.

Everyone is different after all.

Looking forward to part 2…

60. Ariel says:

I love his shirt!

High fruit/low fat has been working very well for me-and I find this diet really shines when fueling lots of physical activity.

Its not for everyone, and I think its good people can know whats right for their body. I wonder if success on high fruit is somehow related to age? I am quite young…

As for candida, it would probably be best to consult with a naturopath as they can really take in all of your specific situations in developing a protocol.

61. Paul says:

very good, can’t wait to hear part 2.

62. Lola says:

I have tried high fat 100% raw = hair fell off. Learned about 80/10/10 Diet and hair stopped falling out in two days. If I keep my fats way way way low almost to 5%-zero then I do well on 811, just as soon as I add fat to the high fruit diet = candida symptoms emerge. My conclusion? Don’t blame the fruit for candida issues, blame the fats. But don’t take my word for it, TRY IT AND TEST IT OUT FOR YOURSELVES, you’ll see what I mean.

63. Anthony says:

have battled candida for about 9 years, anti candida diets have never worked for me ..and only 1 type of anti fungal helps a bit …the rest of anti fungals i just get never ending die off

one of the many symptoms i have is serrobic dermatitus on my face (exzema) which i know is caused by candida. over the last few months it has gotton so so bad i could barely eat anything without breaking out into a rash ..and i was also developing new problems like temporary astma after eating certain foods and joint pain.

out of sheer desperation i tried the 80/10/10 diet. nothing else was working and i figrued i was so bad atm i couldn’t actually get much worse.

i ate mostly bannanas. the 1st day my tongue was hurting when i ate the fruit (this happens whenever i ate sweet stuff) but then by day 2 it had stopped. on the first few days i was feeling great on the diet …but day 3 and 4 i felt like crap. i didn’t beleive it was die of or whatever and my tongue still was caked with white (it’s always been like that for years) so on day 4 i came off it disapointed.

i started eating a few sweet things and noticed that i wasn’t breaking out anymore. over the next week i went quite crazy and ate more and more sweet things, i had a bit of dry skin but no where near the problems i had before where my face would litterally melt and start flaking hours after eating something sweet.

i am convinced there is something to the 80/10/10 diet. in terms of improvement, it has been quite remarkable seeing as i only lasted 4 days. my tongue has improved considerably too since coming off the diet. when i was on it my tongue was quite bad, now that i’m off it, it is looking quite a bit better. weirdly i am finding that I must eat some sugary things each day or my tongue will deteriate. very weird indeed, it should be that sweet things make it worse.

anti candida diets didn’t work for me but for some reason 80/10/10 is.
    i felt quite bad on day 4 but since coming off the diet and eating “normally” my symtoms imrpoved alot. i intend to go back on the diet and do everything i did last time to see if i can improve even more.

maybe i should stay on it longer but you know what they say. if it’s not broke don’t fix it, so it’s another 4 days for me.

i reccomend anyone who has been on anti candida diets and anti fungals with minimal success to try this.

personally i would not have tried this if i was not so desperate as it did sound to me like it could make my candida worse.

64. Pary says:

Thanks for the show and all the good information. By now I know what is 80/10/10 = Fruit/veg/fat, is it? What is 811?

65. Daniel Donovan says:

#47 Dr Graham was born in 1942 so that would put him at 68, David Wolfe and Daniel Vitalis are about 38-39. David Wolfe looks healthy, however Daniel Vitalis I don’t think he looks all that healthy. Oh and Dr Graham have you seen him w/o a shirt, he’s got a body of a 25 year old.

66. Mark says:

Daniel, you’ve confused 2 men of the same name: The ’42 date’s for a New Zealand politician. There’s no clear age listed for this Doug Graham, but a *2007* promotion mentions he began his raw vegan diet at age *25*, *28* years ago. Which makes Graham between 55 & 57. The only shirtless pics I’ve found are at least 5 yrs old,(when I found them), probably more. But yes,he had a look of fitness not seen even in most elite pro athletes.

67. Mark says:

Aha! Dr Graham’s on “Facebook”. He lists his age as 57.