The Difference Between Organic Hemp and Bamboo Clothing – The Renegade Health Show Episode #381

Tuesday Aug 25 | BY |

Today, I have an interview with Heather Baker who owns an organic clothing shop and also speaks on the benefits of organic materials…

She has some great information of what type of clothes to start with and even more specifically she’ll share how organic hemp clothing is processed and how some of it is different than bamboo.

The lesson today is: “Just because the material is organic, doesn’t mean it wasn’t processed with chemicals!”

Your question of the day: Are you wearing organic clothes right now?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

To check out Heather’s line of clothes and get one of the cool aprons Annmarie wears on Wednesdays, please click here: www.TheOrganicAcorn.com

1. Page says:

Thank you Heather and Kevin.
    I am not wearing organic clothing right now, but I am wearing clothing that is somewhat old (old t-shirt and shorts) and made of cotton. I don’t buy many clothes, only when I have to replace something that is very worn out. I try to avoid artificial fabrics as I have very sensitive skin and most artificial fabrics don’t breathe enough.
    I’m looking forward to visiting Heather’s website.
    Peace.

2. Tara Burner says:

Excellent!
    and yes actually I am wearing organic cotton shirt and yoga pants right now 🙂
    I’m bookmarking Heather’s site for when I need to go shopping again.

3. Kaylani says:

Yes! I’m wearing organic cotton capris from Sahalie and a long sleeve organic cotton top from Natural Clothing Company, however, my underwear is not organic. 🙁

4. Brenon says:

I’m wearing an organic cotton cap that I lucked out on finding at a Walmart for $10.

5. martha says:

my bad, I’m wearing clothes but not sure of what origin. don’t like polyester but, didn’t think yet about changing my clothes line. especially since heather mentioned raw food eaters need more breathable clothes. i did change to organic hair color because I am doing all this stuff to get healthy and then i thought oops I am probably making my self pristine for a chemical hair treatment and setting myself up for toxins to flow even better through me. but the clothes, i didn’t think about. thanx heather and kevin for your enlighment.

6. horst schmidt says:

…coming to the USA…
    CLOTHING SHOP SITE, please, Kevin
    much obliged

GREETINGS from DOWNUNDER
    Auckland NZ

7. Kathryn says:

I own some organic clothing, but I’m not currently wearing them. Most of my clothing is cotton and most is second hand. I look forward to a world where it is easier to find organic clothing on the shelf as I find it VERY difficult to shop for clothing that suits me through a catalog or online. One thing I always wonder about is who makes the clothing? Are the working conditions safe and fair for the workers who make the organic clothing or is it somewhat like commerial organic food that is barely what people want it to be?

8. Sue Rushford says:

I’m wearing an organic top (hoodie), hemp bottoms (flair capris), Simple shoes, and, unfortunately, nylon/cotton undies (thongs) and a polyester padded bra (at least there’s no underwire) – would be great if she sold organic thongs & there was some sort of bra padding that is organic.

9. june2 says:

Very informative! Thank you so much.

10. Deborah says:

at the moment I have on a short sleeve button shirt and capris, 100% cotton, but not organic. I’ve been thinking about new undies, guess I will splurge and switch to organic.

Will definitely check out her site! Thanks for the info Heather.

11. Hi,

Yes, I’m wearing organic clothes again today and it feels fabulous! 🙂

Thanks, Kevin, for publishing this interview, hope your viewers find it to be helpful information.

Anyone looking to upgrade your clothes, sheets, towels, etc. to organic, I’m happy to give a 15% discount of standard retail prices if you email in the next week at AcornOrganics @ gmail. com and let me know what you’d like, and mention the Renegade Health Show, as my website is a work in progress, but would love to help more people go organic. Drop ships and special orders are my specialty.

Best wishes for a wonderful Raw Organic Day,
    Heather Baker
    Acorn Organics 805-895-1351
    Santa Barbara, California

12. Charlotte says:

hmm, nope not organic… but hey we all do what we can right? and right now “can” is limited to food.

Kevin, I’m interested to know, have you seen Food Inc.?? And also could you address GMOs pleease!!
    Thanks!

13. Nadia says:

No. I want to start now! I will start w/ underware. I wish it was cheaper though.

14. sarah coffey says:

It is hard to find organic clothing for children!! I am not sure why this is…but there are baby organic clothing, but I have a difficult time finding kids clothing!! She should seriously consider adding more childrens organic/bamboo clothing, because I know a lot of people that have children, and have concern for them. Organic cotton is sooo soft!! I do love it! (: bamboo is sustainable, also!! thnks for the info yo!! Oh, & I have organic sheets, they are wonderfull!!
    ~ Sarah

15. Kym Hutcheon says:

Cool show. Heather’s point about the body absorbing dangerous chemicals such as formaldehyde from clothes is a real one.

I’ve tried organic clothing in the past but found it too rough for my skin, which is unfortunatley fairly sensitive. So I go for a mix of cotton and artifical.

Breathability is definitely an issue, but at least I can wear it. On the other hand, I just try to keep my wardrobe (and all possessions) as minimal as possible.

16. Smita says:

Never thought about my clothing!

17. Dawni says:

Hi Everyone:

I love my organic socks and wear them in the winter time.

I also have the most wonderful organic cotton pads for my monthly cycle.

Thanks to the interview with Heather, I am inspired to integrate organic cotton undies into my life.

Thanks,

Dawni

18. Mary Goff says:

Great interview Heather and Kevin. I usually wear cotton underwear, however it’s not organic. Thanks for the education…I’ll be
    visiting your website!

Mary:)

19. Deanna says:

Well right now I’m in the buff so I guess I’m about as organic as you can get. I do have a few pieces of organic cloths. I’ve been trying to work my way back to at least 100% cotton. I’ve been looking around for some affordable organic and hemp cloths. I hear hemp is much more durable than other fabrics. Thanks for the show. I enjoyed the on line EXPO live.

LOL,
    Deanna

20. christine says:

woah! i never thought underwear should be first. i have lots of organic cotton and hemp clothing. thanks.

21. Sharon says:

Wow. what a find. Heather’s store is right here in Santa Barbara…I’m running right over there to check it out.
    I’m enjoying the interviews of all the great souls there in Ft. Bragg. Thanks!

22. Sharon says:

Hmmm, very thought provoking. We really should be buying any new clothing pieces ONLY organic. When I lived in Europe I used to go to a shop and look at the 200+ Euro hemp pants and dream about buying a pair but now I learned that they were likely processed with chemicals so I don’t feel bad anymore about that, LOL! Thank you for relieving my guilt!

Now to wait for the undies to wear out……..

23. Donna V. says:

Misinformation Alert!

My sister and I own a *very* small company where we hand print unique designs on organically grown bamboo and bamboo/organic cotton blend tees using 100 yr old handcarved textile blocks from India, Nepal & Afghanistan. We use earth-friendly, water-based inks. I started hearing the controversy surrounding bamboo production and looked into it, as it is very relevant to by little green business. Here’s some of what a learned (exerpts from http://www.artevist.com/index.php/store/about_bamboo/

The main chemical used in processing bamboo is sodium hydroxide also known as caustic soda. It is a ‘common’ chemical and very widely used for numerous applications, including the processing of cotton and other textiles. Caustic soda is approved for use on textiles under the Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS). It is a strong chemical, but can be re-used, neutralized or disposed of relatively easily. As chemicals go, it’s tame compared to petroleum-based chemicals used in the manufacture of synthetic fibres or the pesticides used in cotton production.

Bamboo is one of the world’s most versatile plants, and has been used as food, building material and raw ingredient in textiles for millennia. It’s actually a grass, and like most grasses grows very quickly and is resistant to diseases and insects. Its cultivation is virtually chemical free and very green in comparison to other textiles, especially conventional cotton.

Bamboo can grow to forest-like proportions in only a few years, and as such, adds considerable biomass to the planet. It’s also one of the most widely distribute plant species in the world, growing on all continents except Antarctica. Its commercial cultivation, however, is limited mostly to China, India and Pakistan, a result of its long history in these societies.

All industrial scale textile production has some impact on the environment and bamboo is no different. As concern for the environment grows, new ways of processing it will begin to emerge and R&D is now underway to improve the process, perhaps even eliminating the use of caustic soda.

—-

How “green” is “green” is relative, and when you compare bamboo to other fibres, especially conventional cotton and synthetics, the choice is clear. Some of the benefits:

* Bamboo is grown without pesticides or chemical fertilizers
    * Bamboo has not been genetically modified
    * Bamboo requires no irrigation
    * Bamboo rarely needs replanting
    * Bamboo grows very rapidly and can be harvested in 3-5 years
    * Bamboo produces 35% more oxygen that an equivalent stand of trees and is a critical element in the balance of oxygen and CO2 in the atmosphere
    * Bamboo adds biomass and animal habitat to the planet as it grows
    * Bamboo is an excellent soil erosion inhibitor
    * Bamboo grows well in many parts of the world and tolerates poor soil quality better than other plants such as cotton

24. Ann says:

After 9 months of listening here is my first comment. Great show. I listened twice in a row to make sure I got the part about bamboo being used in a chemical process to create a rayon-like fabric. Darn about the silky bamboo. I am wearing organic cotton shorts and all else is non organic cotton. I am inspired to switch to organic cotton under clothes and socks. Thank you kevin and Miss organic funtawear.

25. rose says:

hi kevin. i hope heather gave you a pair of underpants for the free advertising!

i hope you got some for anne marie too!

26. Didiydi says:

I wear mostly cotton, and in my wardrobe everything it either cotton or silk. Nothing organic though, not on the list of priorities right now…Thanks for the great show!

27. RAFAEL MORALES JR says:

Organic is the way to go.

28. Jean says:

Great show, going to visit her web site now!!! Kev please address GMO foods…Like seedless grapes and watermelons.

29. Sally Thomas says:

Organic underwear-yes other organics-not at this time.

30. Meri says:

I’ve considered organic clothing many times but haven’t had the money to afford new clothes of any sort. Now I know to start with underwear, that’ll be the first organic clothing I buy!
    Thanks to Heather for highlighting the issues for us 🙂

31. Sarah Hauch says:

I am definitely wearing an organic hemp top. Don’t want to absorb the pesticides in cotton. Love the episode.

32. Cindy says:

I have LOOKED at organic clothes LOL I love them just not in the budget yet 🙁 THanks for all the great shows

33. Chel says:

heather is way cool! 🙂

i’m wearing a second (third? fourth?) hand cotton sundress…no tag, not sure if its organic. i like to wear really flowy cotton dresses and no undies at all-my body’s gotta breathe! 🙂

34. Alkalize says:

As moment I am wearing organic sock and underwear. Usually I also wear organic t-shirts or polo shirt from American Apparel or other stores that sold it at one time or another.

It is pricey, but we are trying to replace our clothing with organics.

35. Yes. I try to wear as much organic cotton and hemp clothing as possible. I made the commitment, a few years ago, that going forward I would buy only organic clothing. I found it difficult to find stylish and affordable eco-friendly clothing. My son and I decided to produce some organic cotton t-shirts with eco-friendly inks and our own designs. We were vendors at the Raw Spirit Festival ’08 – perhaps some of you met us there. Our website is http://www.radiantreality.com. Check it out! Thanks to Kevin and Ann Marie for all they do!!

36. Sita says:

I am wearing an organic cotton hemp blend t-shirt. The rest is recycled from second hand store. It is linen. Thank you so much for bringing these ideas to the forefront on your show. The textile industry is one of the most toxic industries on the planet and responsible among other things for 1/2 of the world’s contaminated waste water. And if you want to wear cotton, please, for all of our sakes, make it organic. Conventional cotton accounts for over 25% of all pesticides used globally. Even when grown organically it is classified as one of the top thirstiest crops. There is so much more to change, but as you say, one show, one day at a time.

37. Eric J Shadd says:

Hey Kev, this was a really helpful and informative episode! Thanks!!

E

38. Tiff says:

Awesome, what a great resource I will probably watch this several more times.

YES! I’m wearing Green Label Organics t shirt from right here in Virginia and BGreen underwear, and some old regular cotton pants. 2 out of 3 not bad!

39. Maria Shere says:

NO! I’m not wearing all organic fibers right now, though I do often wear them. I am wearing bamboo socks and recycled cotton clothes. But…….. soon I will be sleeping in my organic cotton PJ’s for the night. The organic fibers feel so good that I will slowly replace my wardrobe with these as my old clothes wear out. I will check out the underwear on Heather’s site, as it makes sense that the moister areas of the body will absorb more from the clothes and also the body will need to expel moisture more from these places.

40. MsSheilaC says:

thanks to Donna V for the bamboo info.

I have a huge closet in need of paring down. Very little (any?) organic fiber. Sad. I am committed after reading this that I will purchase nothing more unless 1) it replaces two or more items going to goodwill, and 2) its made of organic fibers

41. I am not currently wearing organic clothing (except for my 100% raw organic birthday suit), but do own several pieces of organic cotton, hemp and bamboo clothing/textiles.

I LOVE bamboo and hemp clothing, but why is it so darn expensive and hard to find? Bamboo is supposed to be one of the fastest growing plants ever. Yet, a bamboo t-shirt costs about $24 on average while a plain ole cotton t-shirt is about $3.

I wish it weren’t so costly to live a healthy and environmentally responsible lifestyle.

~*~ Namasté ~*~

42. Gwen Forbes says:

I am not wearing organic and pretty sure I don’t own any organic clothing. I haven’t seen any adult organic clothing available in Red Deer, Alberta, Canada, but I also haven’t looked for it. I did buy some organic baby clothing for a shower gift at Babies R’Us.

I checked out TheOrganicAcorn website and love the Green Flutter Top; the only thing stopping me from buying it is that I don’t use papal.

43. Sylvia says:

Great information! Unfortunately, Heather’s store leads straight to ebay and PayPal is all that is accepted for payment. I just disconnected myself from PayPal because I had three fradulent charges initiated from PayPal. It was a significant amount of money. The ONLY thing PayPal will do is tell you to open a claim. Not a fast way to get your money back. I had to cancel my credit card. Upon speaking with my credit union, this is becoming a common occurance. I sticking with my credit card (when the new one arrives!), checks, and cash. I don’t need another layer of money managers.

44. sherry says:

No I am not. I can’t afford it at this time.
    Plus there is not much available in this area.
    And online it is very expensive.