How Much Salt Is Too Much – The Renegade Health Show #379

Friday Aug 21 | BY |

Some of you may be starting to thing this is the Renegade Health Spoiler Show… LOL!

Don’t worry, today, I’m not going to take a hard line on salt like I do with agave. Promise. 🙂

But you can over do it with salt, so I’m going to talk about how much salt is good for you as well as talk about seaweeds and a final word on raw agave.

Your question of the day: What do you think about salt intake?

To get access to the Vibrant Living Expo online, visit www.RenegadeHealth.com/expolive

To get attend the Raw and Living Spirit Retreat in Mollala, OR, visit www.RenegadeHealth.com/livingspirit

1. Brendon says:

I think salt from celery and other plant sources is fine, as well as the occasional use of celtic sea salt and himalayan sea salt.
    As far as plain sea salt or table salt (even iodized table salt) I just think it’s hideous and bad for our bodies.

2. Nadia says:

1/2 tsp minimum for healthy adrenals, bowel movements, and digestion. Careful with some fine grind sea salt, because they may use stainless steel blades. This leaches nickel into the salt!! Surgical stainless steel is a better option. I love Premier Research Labs sea salt, tested to be free of any heavy metals.

3. Hethir says:

Thank you so much Kevin for the link to the Vibrant Living Expo online. I was bummed I would not be able to attend and I am now able to! I am very excited. 🙂

As for salt, we use sea salt or pink himalayan salt. It makes such a difference with flavor. I have been using dulse more in recipes (esp. for sports drinks).

4. Marissa says:

I have a question about your thoughts on orthotics. I have been wearing orthotics for mild pronation as well as sneakers for mild to moderate pronation for a few years now (I have Native blood and hence flat feet). I have adjusted my running because at first I did get shin splints and sore knees due to allowing my footwear to ‘think’ for me (landing on the heel). I found that ‘going inside’ of my body (yoga term, lol) was good to teach me to run on the ball of my foot instead, but lately I’ve been getting tightness in my right gluteus minimus. Any thoughts??
    Answer for your question: I typically probably eat more salt than a less active person, although I do only take in some sea salt as well as dulse and nori and high vegetables..I find that without enough minerals I feel run down, but I even it out with lots of water (and tea) 🙂

5. Leota says:

why is salt bad for you? I eat a lot of salt in various forms, like soy sauce (I’m Japanese-American), not just table or cooking salt.

i also think msg is fine for you. i grew up eating it, my mom putting it in everything savory. She lived for 88 years, growing up on msg and cooking with it as an adult. i don’t see why Americans are so adverse to it.

6. Amelina says:

If I add salt to my food, it seems to trigger my labyrinthitis :\ I figured this out with a food journal. So I don’t add salt to anything anymore.

I have a question about fruit: Fructose is supposed to cause blood sugar spikes and fatty liver. But does eating WHOLE FRUIT cause these problems also?

I am concerned because blood tests have shown elevated liver enzymes in the past, which my gastroenterologist suggested was fatty liver (I do not consume alcohol). I don’t want to do any (more) damage to my liver by eating fruits! And I can’t seem to find a really good answer anywhere.

7. Sharon says:

To quote Dr. Hal Huggins (granddaddy of holistic dentistry):

“Sea salt causes a lot of problems with neurological diseases…..where does it come from? The bottom of the world’s biggest cesspool….We have thousands of tests; I’m not just talking off the top of my head. I mean we have thousands of tests to show the neurological changes with sodium, potassium and chloride when we get people off sea salt.”

I’ve been using Himalaya salt for years. I cannot stand the taste of any other salt. Himalaya salt is packed with minerals, it’s taken from beneath the ground, is not contaminated with pollutants. Even if you don’t like salt you will still benefit from making brine (look online for directions) which contains a very small bit of salt. It’s quite detoxifying. The taste is very mild compared to table or sea salt.

And, whoever is reading this–You NEED to sign up for the Vibrant Living Expo!!!! Absolutely awesome info today! I am so thrilled that Kevin is getting the mad cowboy for an interview! He was brilliant and SO funny! What an absolute sweetie! Victoras had some brilliant talks today too. Doug Graham was at his best. Matt was rocking too! You will not regret signing up for this!

8. JGSchellinger says:

Hello Kevin and Annmarie, my husband and I look forward to watch your show. You bring helpful ideas and information about a vegan/raw diet.
    About salt intake, I do not know if you are familiar with Dr. F. Batmanghelidj, M.D. research. On his book “Your Body’s Many Cries For Water-you are not sick you are thirsty. He brings up the myth about salt intake.
    Anyway, I read the book about eight yrs ago and ever since I have increased the intake of salt since I’ve also increased the amount of water that I consume. I asked Dr. Cousens, who has been my guide, he is familiar with Dr. B(for short) research and seemed agreable. Now the kind of salt is important, I use the raw grain salt, dry it and grind it. Use a good amount and drink lots of water-about 11 glasses/day. My health has improved greatly, specially because the salt has helped maintain a good ionization and the water keeps the body hydrated.
    Well there it goes. you can check Dr. B websute at www,watercure.com
    I am Carmen, John’s wife, thank you for your valuable site.

9. Muriel says:

I never add salt to my food, there is enough in our veggies, and way too much in restaurant meals.
    It also cause me to retain fluid and bring my blood pressure above normal. If you must use salt i would recommend sea salt.
    However i have adjusted my taste buds to enjoy food without adding salt and add flavor by using organic herbs.

10. Subee says:

I use mostly himalayan salt (its pink!) and sea veggies– I get a brand that has them in flakes in a shaker and that works well over salads or in recipies. I do find that there is a somewhat fishy taste if u use a lot, that’s when its best to go for the himalayan salt– like in quacamole or pesto.

Please, Kev and AnnMarie– come to Catch a Healthy Habit in CT this fall. This past month I saw the Monarchs and Paul Nisson there and I would love to hear u guys speak there too– great little venue and in ur home state!

11. Amanda says:

You are hilarious Kevin 🙂

I think overt salt is unnecessary. We get lots of sodium in veggies (fruits? I don’t know).

I found once I cut the salt, after a week or so my salads started tasting MUCH saltier! Without any salt even added! So I guess my taste buds started to work again.

All it takes is reducing that excessive stimulation, and things taste AMAZING on their own 🙂

12. Rafael Morales Jr says:

I have a unique expirence with salt.
    well last past three week I got hospitalize because I was low in sodium in my blood.
    normal level of sodium is 136-146
    and I had 124, That cause me to lose my balance and to feel like if I was going to have a heart attack.
    In the hospital the gave me sodium chloride IV
    until my lvel went up to 131 and then they send me home. My Dr recomend it gatorade. but when I when home I started to juice raw juices. I learn this from Mr Juiceman 20 yr ago. in the same week I receive my how to reverse diabetis in 30 days. I also learn that Celtic sea salt was good. But then my Daugther Brougt home a intresting book call Foods that Heal by George d. Pamplona-Roger MD. in this book I also read that melons consumption ebriches the blood with minerals and salts. And facilitates the filtering capacity of the kidneys. after eating melons. the Kidneys are better able to effectively remove waste material and toxins. So I been eating raw foe 21 days and eating plenty of melons and juicing melons with skins and all. and today my Doctor told me that my sodium level was 136 so I am back to normal and I will stay eating raw for the rest of my Life.
    Rafael Morales Jr

13. Pat says:

Here’s a great salting health tip I heard about ..
    DEhydrated celery.. grind it up fill shaker…That way you get organic minerals instead of inorganic…I have yet to do this because i use dulse but if you have post below this post..Is it salty enough?

GREAT show Kevin…!

14. Nicole says:

I don’t think I use as much salt as the average person, but I think I still use too much some days. When you mentioned swollen fingers I had to admit to myself that I’m probably overdoing it a bit since I do notice my finger doing that sometimes, and I wake up with puffy eyes occasionally too. I know this can be related to water intake too, but cutting down on salt would be a good idea regardless. Great video, thank you!

15. Subee says:

sorry for another post but wanted to ask– what is 80/10/10? is it 80% veggies, 10 fat, 10 sugar or 80% fruits and veggies, 10% fat, 10 protein.. Ive heard people talk a lot about breakdowns like this but dont usually explain it…
    Thanks!

16. One thing to note here is that sodium is one of the most abundant minerals in the body & is required for cellular processes, including regulating cell volume (see sodium potassium pump here http://bit.ly/ro7xj). We do need salt!

As a first year medical student at National College in Oregon, I started a salt free diet (was already eating an organic whole foods diet) and 4 weeks later I was very light-headed & dizzy upon standing.

My primary care physician was a naturopathic doctor, who told me to add salt back in since my blood pressure had gotten very low. I did & I immediately felt better again.

Bottom line here, is that we are all unique in our biochemical individuality and, therefor, have different nutritional needs.

Just something to keep in mind in our overall search for the truth… the truth may have different answers for different people.

I do think most people do over salt their food & that is just a matter of adjusting our tastes. BTW, it only took me 3 days of no salt for my food to taste normal… just 3 days! Interesting, eh?

I, personally, use Celtic Sea Salt and have heard very good things about Himilayan salt & will be trying that soon.

Keep up the great shows, Kevin & Ann Marie! You keep us all on our toes & thinking!

17. Sophia says:

Dulse helps refuel electrolytes, so after a hard workout it’s good to have some!

18. Irondoll says:

“Sometimes I think you guys are smarter than I am.” Ummm, Kev…oftentimes we are, because some of us have been studying this and living this a lot longer than you’ve been alive. Have you read Paavo Airola or Prof. Arnold Ehret yet? Dear frieds David Fastiggi (1980s)http://www.arnoldehret.org/healthclub/contemporary_insights.html and Rob Miller (2000) http://www.rawfoodinfo.com/pictures/lgepic_robanna.html wrote the prefaces to Ehret’s book “Rational Fasting.” I suggest you read “Mucusless Diet Healing System,” which was written the turn of the 20th century. It’s amazing what he was theorizing then. http://www.arnoldehret.org/healthclub/who_was_ehret.html

19. Kimberly says:

I use himalayan salts very sparingly…most sea salts are processed and devoid of minerals

20. rose says:

i add salt to nourish my adrenals.
    i also add a pinch of salt to water sometimes.

21. Kevin –

Just FYI… Honey doesn’t have an expiration date. One source: http://www.benefits-of-honey.com/honey-facts.html.

Re: salt intake… I follow Daniel Vitalis’ suggestion of getting a big glass jar and filling it with different types of salts from around the world (Hawaiian, Himalayan, Celtic, Maine Coast, etc.) to reap the benefits from all those locations. It’s really fun to do and the taste combo is outstanding!

Since going raw my family has noticed that we’re able to regulate our salt needs better and tend to use less salt. (Refined salt makes you crave more and we tend to overeat it and, I would argue, become addicted to it.) We rarely salt at the table anymore and when we do, we usually reach for dulse flakes first. Also, we use shredded nori or celery to salt pates or salads.

Thanks for your wonderful enthusiasm today! I love seeing you jacked up! LOL!

xoxo,
    Lisa Marie Lindenschmidt
    Rite Food and Company

22. susie says:

Kev,
    Read this book and then do a show on what you learned.
    “Water & Salt The Essence of Life The Healing Power of Nature” by Dr. med. Barbara Hendel and Peter Ferreira

23. Matthew Knoefler says:

Wanted to make an observation about agave.

someone said that agave syrup would turn into tequila if it was alive.

this, I don’t believe to be true, because if you know anything about honey, they found it in the Egyptian tombs and it was still good.

now there is a drink called mead. it is made from honey by adding water. usually one gallon of honey to 6.5 gallons of water. it makes a wine.

people use sugar to preserve things in it’s concentrated form. when the water is taken out of the sugar it cannot go bad. That is what the bees do. They stand over the honey in the comb and flap their wings to dehydrate the honey. if there is nectar in the honey comb that has to much moisture in it it will ferment and create an alcohol and poison the bees. they can actually die. but at the least they will be drunk and be unable to fly.

this is not to say that agave is raw or is cooked. Just to say this in not a true way of knowing if it is raw or not.

GREEN BLESSINGS

24. Genevieve says:

Hi Kevin,

Loved to see the back of your head — you have great hair!

I used fine sea salt for about 20 years but switched to Himalayan salt about 2 years ago and much prefer it. Wouldn’t go back.

I definitely have to avoid regular sodium chloride or I retain water. This has been a concern for me for several years and the doc has me taking a diuretic (which I hate to do)! I have a tendency towards acidity so have to struggle to stay alkaline, regardless of what I eat.

Leona mentioned MSG and wondered why Americans are so adverse to it. It is a poison!! If I have MSG, first I get stomach bloating, then severe chest pains that last for hours — like a heart attack. It’s not fun. I try to eat as simply as possible but it is not always possible when you are travelling or at someone else’s house, for example.

Thanks for your great shows. I learn so much from them and also from everyone’s comments. It is so wonderful to have this forum where ideas can be shared.

Genevieve

25. Courtney says:

I only use Hymalayan Salt, that I grind by had myself, on my salad or when making fresh homemade Hummus. I never calculatd or tried to figure out how much was too much b/c I never use it in excess so I don’t worry about it.

26. Brenon says:

Reading the comments reinforced the idea for me that salt, like many things, is a very individual thing. Our needs are very different so I try not to be dogmatic about anything.
    When I eat fruit or greens I have no desire for salts. But when I eat avocadoes, seeds or nuts, they taste better and seem to digest better with salt. I don’t know why, but that’s just my experience.
    On another note, someone recently commented that raw vegans don’t live longer than SAD eaters. Raw food saved my life 7 1/2 yrs ago, so it’s already made me live that much longer than I would have. I know of many other people who can say the same.

27. PE says:

So many questions! and some nice info too. Someone wanted to know the sodium in dulse- using the data I have, 2040mg in 100g-3½oz.
    Varies by harvest and company, of course.
    I don’t have over 5.6g dulse, though, because 5¾g reaches my lead limit. That’s 3 level teaspoons of granules or flakes.

How much sodium do we need? Based on earlier studies and paleolithin estimates, we can get by with 200mg, so 250 is a safe minimum. I say 500 to be safer. Max, I say 1200mg, and till last year most opinion laughed at that, though the DASH II diet had shown 1500mg better than 2400. Authorities revised things to say no more than 2300, which many reworded as, Eat 2300mg worth of sodium! Now majority opinion is down to 1500max, after some mulling.
    Thanks to Nadia for the warning about fine-ground sea salt- and her required amount works out to 1160mg sodium, within my guidelines.
    How to get it? Dulse, dried celery flakes, or just eat food. Sea salt and Himalayan sea salt are *salt*, with a teeny tiny bit of other minerals, not worth the money or the transport halfway round the world. Better to get minerals from land or sea plants, but with the latter, watch the lead and the iodine.

28. Brianna says:

In response to Leota (comment #5): Monosodium Glutamate (or MSG) is a neurotoxin. Our neurons function on neurotransmitters to tell them what to do. Glutamate is an excitatory neurotransmitter which is normally found in our bodies. Monosodium glutamate, however, is a “ramped-up” version of glutamate, and causes our neurons to get over-excited and, as a result, causes them to die. This has been shown in research literature for years, and it would be wise to stay away from MSG as much as possible. It is typically hidden in many processed foods, so be careful!

29. Brianna says:

In response to Matthew’s comment (#22): Mead is made with honey, water and yeast. The honey is for the yeast to feed on and ferment the concoction- creating mead. Adding honey to water will not create anything alcoholic if there are no micro-organisms involved to ferment it.

30. Goodguy says:

Hey, Kev,
    I’ve noticed that a lot of raw foodists are eating nuts/seeds with fruit at the same time, or eating fruit with grains or nuts with grains, and all of these combinations are not good because some of this food just won’t get digested, will rot etc. and all of that is not really healthy…So it’s kinda strange, I mean being raw is mostly for being healthy, but in order to be really healthy you shouldn’t mix some(most) foods, so why are raw foodists doing that? What’s your opinion on this topic?
    Btw , great show, I love it!
    Peace!

31. Erika says:

A few years back I started waking up with extreme leg cramps and I read that eating salt will make them go away. I started eating salt right out of my hand. I use celtic sea salt and just crunch on it a few times a day and since then I’ve never had another leg cramp. Also my blood pressure has not increased. I don’t know how much is too much but I seem to be doing just fine. It may one of those things that’s just up to the individual and their own body composition and what they need. I don’t know.

32. Marissa says:

oops! I think I found the answer to my question on a previous episode…pelvic tilt. check! I was walking around all day practising the art of correcting that.
    d’oh!
    However, if you have any ideas about strengthening or correcting a winged scaplua that would be great! I started strengthening exercises last week with very light weights and am having a pretty good result thus far..I’ve dealt with pain and posture difficulties because of a winged scaplua (injured doing dips a few years ago) with no help from the medical community..so I (finally haha) took it upon myself to try to correct the problem. I do scapular retractions with a very light weight and do some very light back work (for spinae retractors) and skip chest training for now since it tends to aggrivate the shoulder. If you could recommend other exercises that would be great!
    Thanx 🙂

33. Alice Whaley says:

I found out that as a person gets older, they have a difficult time retaining salt. My husband had heart surgery and I was told to keep salt out of his diet. He almost died. Went to the emergency room and they did tests. The same doctors said to get some salt into him. He needs lots of salt.

34. Peter says:

I’m so often fascinated by the behavior of our species. Why would one be so careful in choosing only organically grown food on the one hand and then on the other hand be so careless in choosing to take additional sustenance from another source that is known by all to be polluted to a point of near total collapse.

Unfortunately, at the present time NO ONE should consider ANYTHING taken from our oceans as a viable food source without VERY careful consideration.

I truly mourn this day and look to a time when this statement may be retracted, however, for now let the buyer beware!

At the present time there are clearly enough other reasonable, intelligent sources of nourishment that in no way require anything that has been taken from the sea. Therefore, none of us need subject ourselves to chance.

As for salt, use it most sparingly. Consider Himalayan Pink Salt or another similar product if you must use salt.

Peter

By the way, consider carefully before choosing anything that involves the Soy Bean or even the currently so popular Flax Seed for that matter. But perhaps this is the subject for a conversation at a later date.

35. Kathryn says:

Hi Kevin,
    If you go to http://www.herbsoflight.com you can download some valuable information on Himalayan salt which contains 84 Electrolytic Minerals within the crystal. The book Water & Salt The Essence of Life explains how important this salt is.The book also comes with a CD by Fereydoon Batmanghelidj author of Your Body’s Many Cries For Water and is available to purchase at Herbs Of Light along with this pure delicious salt! At Herbs Of Light they actually sell the salt in capsules. I hear 1 tsp. a day for healthy people and more with disease. I love this salt from Herbs Of Light it tastes so very good. I also took a bath with it which is like taking a 3 day fast it worked great!! I recommend getting educated on this.
    Many Blessings,
    Kathryn

36. Mary says:

Thanks for this subject, and thanks to “Pat” for the dehydrated celery idea. I’ll try it. Regular “table” salt (sodium chloride) is a no-no for me; causes edema, elevated blood pressure, leg cramps, stomach aches, migraine, etc.

But celtic sea salt has the opposite affect, all beneficial. In fact, a little celtic sea salt at bedtime has elminated leg cramps!

As for regular usage, I think a squeeze of lemon on most raw foods is deeeelish, cleansing and reduces salt cravings.

37. I’ve always believed that one should “salt to taste.” (I also believe in “drinking to thirst.”) Unfortunately, with the SAD diet’s over-processing of foods and overuse of salt, many Americans have become desensitized to salt and simply use too much. I use a pinch of salt here and there for cooking and occasionally on a particularly bland dish to bring out the flavor. I use Celtic Sea Salt, Black & Pink Himalayan Salt and Redman RealSalt Sea Salt as needed.

38. 108Karen says:

Salt from veggies, kelp — this is the best.
    a teeny tiny pinch of celtic seas salt or red salt — just OK. Tamari, braggs, shoyu — big no no.
    Kevin…if you run into my granddaughter who lives in Fort Bragg, please give her a big squeeze from me.

39. Leota says:

“Leona mentioned MSG and wondered why Americans are so adverse to it. It is a poison!! If I have MSG, first I get stomach bloating, then severe chest pains that last for hours — like a heart attack. It’s not fun.” Genevieve

Ummm… MSG is made from seaweed. How can it be a poison?

I’m not dead yet.

40. Leota says:

P.S.

I would like to say, that extreme, emotional reactions like that, without any substantiation, does not contribute to understanding.

41. Leota says:

The American food industry heavily promotes beef and dairy, yet they are found to be not the healthiest foods in large or regular quantities, yet they have advertised ferociously against MSG.

???

Fyi, Genevieve, I am American.

42. Leota says:

I just finished reading it, and it was very helpful to understanding a potassium/salt relationship. I used to have low blood pressure all my life, then in my 50s developed a low potassium issue. At that time, I had a bad cramping experience at an event, and a lady there told me to eat some salt, which I did. It relieved the cramp, and I have wondered about it ever since.

Perhaps it is why I had increased salt in my diet at that time.

There was also a relationship between oxygen and potassium; I had depletion of oxygen in my system at that time. The doctor drew a blank when I asked her about it, so have been wondering ever since.

The body system is so complex. Too hard for me to understand how to balance it without being a scientist. But I do pay attention to cravings, or increases/decreases, or changes to my dietary habits.

43. Michael T. says:

My experience is that the amount of salt needed is not a fixed amount, but it varies depending on factors such as how active you are, how much you sweat, and how much water you drink.

I live in Hawaii and I work outside, and I sweat a lot. So, I put full trace mineral salt (Redmond Real Salt) on my food, to taste. If I eat too much fruits and veggies and not enough salt, I can get sodium deficient by sweating so much. I believe the weak and spacey feeling that raw fooders sometimes get is due to sodium deficiency.

People who live indoors and hardly ever sweat probably need very little salt. So, it really depends on your lifestyle.

By the way, seaweeds don’t have sodium on the inside. Dulse has salt on the outside of the leaves, because it is not rinsed. Seaweeds such as nori are rinsed in fresh water before they are dried, so they do not provide much sodium.

So, with the exception of un-rinsed dulse, I believe that seaweeds are not good sources of sodium.

Eating large amounts of potassium every day in the form of fruit can lead to electrolyte imbalance. The kidneys must dump that potassium right away, or else it can kill you. Excess potassium in the blood can be fatal. But in the process of dumping the excess potassium, sodium is also excreted.

It is important to balance all that potassium with some sodium. Salt is only bad when taken in excess. In moderate amounts, salt contributes to good health.

Sodium is needed every time you move a muscle, every time your heart beats.

Michael T.

44. Lucas Plumb says:

Dear Kevin & Annmarie, I want to give what may feel like a controversial story about salt. About 4 years ago, my altermative MD suggested that I go on the Salt/Vit C protocol, which is desribed on the website: http://www.lymephotos.com. There, they recommend that lyme sufferers take up to 12 grams of sodium cloride/day, along with an equal amount of Vitamin C. I didn’t/don’t have active symptoms of lymes disease, but had a difficult time with lots of colds, etc.

As soon as I increased my intake of salt, I got way fewer sore thoats, colds, and cases of flu. Interestingly, I could cut back on the Vitamin C and not get sick, but if I tried cutting back on the salt, within 14-16 hours I would feel a sore throat, tight chest, etc. that would eventually turn into a cold/flu. In the last 2 years I have not had one cold or case of the flu.

The protocol on the lymephotos site suggests just regular sodium cloride tables that athletes use, but soon after I went raw in Dec, 08, I started using Himalyan salt in veggie-caps that I make myself. I don’t know how much difference the Himalayan salt makes, but I do think it is much better to use it than the sodium chloride tablets.

Most docs are shocked to hear I take this much salt, and the only one whom I’ve ever heard concur with high salt intake is Dr. Robert O. Young, who works with acid/alkaline balance. In addition to the salt I take, I use his “pHor salts” and baking soda. My blood pressure has always been low (usually around 90/60 or less) and there was no increase in it when I went on the high doses of salt. I also have no swelling of the legs or ankles with taking this amount of salt, part of which I attribute to not overeating and getting good exercise.

I realize that not everyone can tolerate this amount of salt, but I think it is interesting to note that some, like myself receive important health benefits from it, and to look at the possibility that the recent “scare” about to much salt may have led to more microbes being able to “nest” in our bodies. (See the lymephotos site for photos of these microbes.)

I’d be very interested in hearing from any of your regulars who have had any experience with the Vit C/salt protocol, and I’d be willing to talk more with others about it. It has made such a startling difference in my health that I just can’t discount it. Thanks to you both for creating and maintaining this important forum!!

Honoring the mystery of the body,
    Lucas
    Santa Rosa, CA

45. Gait says:

Some video’s earlier this week, Kevin show us about Charlotte Gerson.

The Gerson Therapy is salt-free, read the book and you know why this is.

So I am not sure about salt-intake, patients who recover from cancer by the Gerson Therapy do not use any salt. They say, salt in the greenjuices is enough for their intake.

I am curious about a person who is cured by this therapy and still is salt-free?

46. jane says:

For the person with sore gluteals, try MBT shoes. Masai Barefoot Technology. Some of the designs are vegan and I found them very good. I can walk up and down slopes for the first time in years.

47. On MSG dangers:

These are just the tip of the iceberg.

Google ‘msg dangers’ and you will come up with a plethora of sites explaining why it is a toxin in our bodies, with plenty of scientific studies substantiating the information. It doesn’t kill immediately, like a cyanide pill, but it slowly kills over time, as people are unwittingly committing suicide with every bite of SAD food.

True, beef and dairy are hugely promoted–by the beef and dairy industries!–because they are big powerful, profit-driven industries with enough money to pay off the right people. The ones trying to get the word out against MSG are only trying to warn people against a very real danger, as are the voices that warn people against factory-farmed meat, dairy, pesticide-laden veggies, processed food, etc etc. Where is the profit motive in telling people NOT to eat something? But BIG FOOD has the power to keep those voices quiet in our mainstream media.

We all hope you will consider stopping its use. It can only make you healthier by NOT using it! This is a loving community and we want to see everyone healthy and thriving!

Blessings, love and light.

48. Joan says:

I get a headache after eating foods with MSG. Still working/wondering on the salt issue…I don’t use…just what is in my food naturally and my eyes are tired a lot…any connection?

49. Mark says:

Hi,

can you point me to a source of information that will tell me what foods are good for what diseases.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

50. PE says:

Michael believes that only dulse has enough sodium to matter, because it is unwashed. My data for laver/nori show 1610mg/100g, quite a bit, and my memory suggests other sea-veg are even denser.
    But no worry- the limiting element in all is iodine, except for nori/laver, where the limiting element is lead, 15mcg in 5g nori.
    I don’t recommend more than 5g of any sea veg without good analyses. Bon appetit!
    Also, our bodies hoard sodium unless, as nearly all do, we eat far too much of it. Paleolithic people tended not to get much sodium, by current standards, and the body did its best to hoard what came by. We benefit from that, if we want.

51. Tirza says:

Kevin and Annmarie,
    I happily admit it – I have become somewhat addicted to your show. I will skip by many other emails in order to watch your cheery, informative, thought-provoking videos first. Please keep it up.

While your humility is endearing about your level of knowledge as compared to that of some of your viewers, don’t ever underestimate what you are doing – that which most others are not – you are getting the subjects talked about, you are providing valuable information for all levels of knowledge and experience, and providing many novices something to start with. I always appreciate the info that you bring, and the comments that it generates. What is especially appreciated is your openness and honesty and your willingness to learn, to be a conduit to pass information along to others, with no feeling of having to defend or preserve your own position just for the sake of it.

This question of salt concerns me directly because I have a problem with edema. It seems like a family thing, but as we know, “family things” are often just a result of family habits – like a taste for too much salt…. My grandfather died of congestive heart failure and I know he was always being told to watch his salt intake and was on diuretics for years. I would rather combat this tendency more naturally.

Now to my question:
    – Sharon included a quote that sea salt is taken from the bottom of the world’s biggest cesspool – the sea. Thinking that over for a moment really brings a shiver of revulsion, and makes me wonder again about seaweeds which are totally immersed in and nourished from that cesspool. We aren’t so casual about what our land-grown foods are grown in, so why should we not be concerned about seaweed? I heard somewhere that seaweed does not absorb these pollutants. I can’t see how they couldn’t. Even though I am very much inclined to favor seaweed, I do want to hear an answer to this.

– Many use a little soy sauce, Tamari, Bragg’s and Nama Shoyu for a “meaty” flavor and saltiness. Your personal experience leads you to advise against their use or over-use, but you didn’t mention Miso. I know it isn’t raw, but I understand it can be a useful additive as well as very healing and protective against such things as radiation, and since it is fermented, is one of the few soy products that is not so potentially dangerous for the hormone effect that soy is said to have. What is your feeling about Miso? Does it have a place in a “high raw” diet? Do you lump it together with the things I mentioned first, or completely apart as something to be avoided? If you have information or an opinion on it aside from the cooked or saltiness aspects, I would appreciate hearing it.

Thanks

52. Mary says:

Msg

When I eat anything with ‘msg’, I become hyper. Not sure what it does to my body, but if I plan on sleeping I will not consume the additive in the PM hours.

53. Stacy says:

If I don’t eat enough salt, I get muscle cramps. I’ve taken to deliberately (sea) salting just about every meal, to make sure I get enough. Muscle cramps during a workout or outdoor adventure are not fun! 🙂

54. Bianka says:

speaking of salt…i have been craving the saltiness and crunchiness of tortilla chips. I was wondering if anyone knows where to buy RAW Tortilla Chips or Crackers for a reasonable price????????

Thanks so much and keep the show going strong Kevin & Anne-Marie!

55. tessa nisbet says:

this is a few days after the posting – i wanted to ask if there has been any current research done on celtic salt as against himalayan rock salt – reading the entry above that sea salt is taken from the bottom of the world’s biggest cesspool – the sea. – and since i use celtic sea salt! –

56. Gwen Forbes says:

I use unrefined Caribbean Pristine Sea Salt because the waters of the Caribbean are free of pollution and industrial contaminants. I also snack on dulse like it is popcorn. I know when I have over done it when the back of my tongue swells up.

57. Michael says:

Kevin Gianni sir: I noticed when you said you really read these comments, so I am writing here instead of emailing. You mentioned Cherie Soria being at the expo and that reminded me that I wanted to request something. I watched the entire Rawkathon series and somehow it being video and under-hyped made it among a short list of the most powerful, unfettered, and useful content anywhere. My request is about the way the Cherie Soria interview was edited to make room for the “cook”ing segment. It was nice, but she had much to say and I was hoping that we may get to see more of her (like when she was talking about basic tools and prep, I loooove ‘basics’). Now it makes me wonder what else you’ve got on the cutting room floor, so to speak (David Wolfe talks about things I rarely get to hear in his interview). So, to try to be clearer as this is longer than intended; two questions: can we see more of Cherie’s interview assuming it’s available/exists, and I was wondering if there is a chance the videos could be sold online individually on their own website. Perhaps with extra footage, Rawkathon 2.0 new interviews, maybe a re-adjustment of the Gabriel Cousens interview so the audio is clearer as it was difficult to hear him. Thanks millions for everything, and that I can have the audacity to ask for more. Michael

58. Laura G says:

Leota-
    I can only speak from experience. MSG gives me headaches and I have a hangover feeling for two or three days after eating anything that contains it. I’d have to classify the headaches as migraines most of the time this has happened.

59. Brynda Bechtold says:

I think someone needs to really do some good research on the msg issue. I was warned off of nutritional yeast (still use it) because of the glutamate in it. Then I see that our most powerful antioxidant made in our livers–glutathione, is made from glutamate. Glutamine, the amino acid, is also connected. Even though msg is made from seaweed, it is isolated and concentrated and obviously too strong for a lot of folks. It is used as a flavor enhancer which in other words “concentrates” the flavors to appease the taste buds of humans lacking sensitivity there. I’ve heard some awful things about carrageenan and it, too, is made from seaweed. When it comes down to it, plastic is made from algae in the oceans where years of seaweed sludge settle to the bottom to become crude oil. We know all the toxic chemicals, synthetic vitamins, pesticides, etc. that come from petroleum. I’d love to hear the truth of what is going on with all this, but especially about the nutritional yeast which I love these days. Anyone?

60. Brianna says:

Leota: See comment #28! You may have missed it, but I hope it provides some insight for you.

61. Brynda Bechtold says:

Brianna, I actually had read that and after re-reading it, it makes sense. Now what about nutritional yeast, good or not so good?

62. Michael T. says:

Regarding sodium and seaweeds:

There is conflicting information about the sodium content of nori. Some websites say there is 1600 mg of sodium per 100 grams, but the nutrition facts panel on the nori sheets I bought says the sodium content is zero. I believe this is because nori is washed, chopped up, washed again, and pressed into sheets, and this washing process removes the sodium.

In any event, no one is likely to eat 100 grams of nori or other dried seaweeds in one day. That would be more than 30 sheets of nori — way too much. So in practice, a reasonable amount of seaweed might give you up to 100 mg of sodium — not much compared to the thousands of mg of potassium that people eat every day from fruits and veggies.

I believe that the important thing about electrolyte minerals is balance. Not too much of sodium or potassium. People get in trouble when these electrolytes are out of balance, either too much sodium in the highly processed food standard American diet, or too much potassium in the strict raw vegan no added salt diet.

Regarding MSG, again it is a matter of balance. In a natural, healthy food, all the amino acids are in balance. Any one amino acid taken in a large amount upsets the natural balance and causes problems. Glutamate naturally occurs in all sources of protein, you couldn’t avoid it if you tried. The key thing is to not take it in excess. But because MSG is absorbed right away, requiring no digestion, it hits the blood stream all at once, creating a glutamate spike that is stressful to the body, and over-excites the nervous system.

Also, foods such as soy sauce, fish sauce and other fermented foods contain msg, so if one eats a meal at a Chinese restaurant, you may be getting MSG from several sources at once, even if the restaurant says no msg added.

But putting some soy sauce on a home-cooked meal is not going to add a lot of msg. Again, it’s a matter of moderation.

Michael T.

63. Cherie says:

I love salt. I use something called Real Salt, they mine it from the earth. I can not stand nori or dulse, they are so gross. I have tried kelp noodles and mix them in things for the minerals.

64. sherry says:

I have a problem with MSG I sleep walk.
    I mean get dressed and try to go some
    where sleep walking.

My grand mother lived till 90 smoked but no MSG.

65. wayne says:

re salt, i hear very little about organic vs inorganic minerals. most of my information comes from the old time, turn of the century nutritionists, all of whom seem to agree that inorganic is inorganic is inorganic and that while we can use inorganic minerals, just as we can use cooked food, we really need organic minerals to attain maximum health. nutritionists aside, however, the best argument i have heard against inorganic minerals is that they are nothing more or less than crushed rock. so, if i need some calcium i could go and find a calcium laden rock, maybe in my backyard, crush it up and sprinkle it on my food. yum!

66. Kat says:

I don’t use much salt, and never use regular table salt; I use Himalayan salt or Redmond RealSalt. I add a pinch to some recipes; and I also love a tiny bit on melons and tomatoes, it really intensifies the flavor.

Brynda, nutritional yeast does not contain MSG. You may be confusing it with yeast extract or autolyzed yeast, which do contain MSG. Kevin did a show (#315) on nutritional and Brewer’s yeast, if you want some more info on it:

Thanks Kevin and Annmarie – as always, great show!