The Real Effect of Raw Cruciferous Vegetables on the Thyroid – The Renegade Health Show Episode #369

Friday Aug 7, 2009 | BY |

I think it’s finally time to lay the thyroid / raw cruciferous vegetables issue to bed…

Today, I’m going to explain the REAL effect of raw cruciferous vegetables on the thyroid. This may upset some people, or it may clarify a whole lot.

By sharing this information, my purpose is to build responsibility within the health industry, so that we don’t spread semi-truths based on one study… but use a whole body of research to come to our conclusions.

Or… better yet, we use the testing tools available to see what’s happening in our own bodies, so the guessing game is eliminated. :-)

Take a look and be sure to pass this along to a friend!

Your question of the day: Anything to add? Can you breathe a little easier?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

1. Veronika says:

Thank you Kevin!! You’re awesome! (yes, my boyfriend and I can breathe easier).

2. dirky d says:

the idea that any food from the earth in its natural state is bad for you is just ludicrous. why do us humans always need double blind, random control studies to validate anything….. love your stuff kev. good work.

3. Dalyn says:

love your videos, but for those of us out in the sticks without DSl or somehing, all the stuff on your sidebar makes the page too long to load and the vidoes hard to watch. Thought I’d let ya know ;)

4. Katie says:

I have been so confused about this and getting my mother to send me dulse from the east coast, b/c i dont want to cook those awesome greens. I thought that if i eat a handful of dulse it would all balance out :)
    Finally…Thank You for this so much!!!

5. Vaughn says:

Very interesting! To be honest I was not really even thinking about cruciferous veg having such an impact. How about fermenting them? Usually when something is fermented it is transformed into a totally different substance.

6. Elizabeth Deedrick says:

Kevin, I am hypothyroid, my TSH has gone as high as 136! What type of Iodine Supplements are out there that may benefit the Thyroid? Thank You for addressing this issue. Elizabeth

7. Sue Rushford says:

Great information, Kevin! Yes, I can take a breath of fresh air, but I tend not to worry too much about all those controversial debates within the raw foods world cause I change up what I eat so often that it’s not like I would ever go even a week straight eating cruciferous vegetables every single day, nor would I eat enough in even one sitting to ever worry much about it. Same is true for cacao – I don’t often have more than a teaspoon in one sitting. Same is true for olive oil, coconut oil, and agave. I have the same bottle of agave I’ve had for like 2 years. I do eat lots of fruit including hybridized fruit and imported fruit that was likely picked way too early, but no, I don’t eat more than 1 or 2 bananas max per day, and it’s nearly all organic. I know all these things are way, way better than my old junk-food vegan diet of fried potatos and tofu scramble every day. I eat dulse, kelp, blue-green algae, spirulina, chlorella, E3Live, Marine Phytoplankton and other sea plant-life that all has plenty of iodine. But again, I try not to eat too much of any one thing, cause I certainly don’t want too much iodine either. It can all be very tricky, but until I have accurate means of testing, I do my best just eating all these things in moderation. It seems every raw food has it’s pluses & minuses. I’d rather get the benefit of a nutrient I’m deficient in from a really good source of that nutrient and possibly expose myself to too much oxalic acid or something than write off everything cause our bodies should be able to handle low levels of toxins. It’s about cost/benefit risk/gain. I’m wasn’t afraid of cruciferous veggies before, and I’m definitely not afraid of them, now!

– Sue

8. Cherie says:

Thanks for the info. I have noticed you are not wearing glasses now for a while. Are you wearing contact now or have you found a way to improve your eyesight?

9. Anita says:

Thankyou for this, I was worrying about it lately.
    I eat a lot OF nori rolls, so I’m pretty sure I’m getting good iodine boosting and can safely keep enjoying my green smoothies and kale chips!

10. Leah says:

Thank you Kevin!! I was worried about eating them but just felt the goods outweighted the bad. Well now I know my instincts were right. I have passed the info along to others that thought they were a problem too!

11. Rene Oswald says:

Great post Kevin!

Many people I work with do better with cruciferous veggies when they are fermented and if eaten with sea vegetables.

See sauerkraut demo at http://www.reneoswald.com/videos.html

12. Patrina says:

Great show! This article pretty much covers what you covered in the show, and lists a few studies at the bottom for reference that may interest some people.

13. Mary says:

Seems I can sum up what you were trying to say by telling people with hypothyroidism to see their doctors. If they test positive for low thyroid, then take iodine supplements and watch their intake of cruciferous veggies?
    May I ask what hypothyroidism has to do with bladder cancer? A bit confusing, but congratulations for pronouncing big words correctly.

14. Elizah says:

Hi Kevin!,
    Very interesting show.
    I myself have hypothyroidism..
    I’ve been eating mostly raw for a long time, and was confused of why I was still experiencing the symptoms of hypothyroidism.. I started boosting my iodine intake including taking sea kelp. It helps so much! It’s great.

15. Diane says:

How do we check our thyroid? My eyebrows are quite thin & I was told that could be an indication of thyroid issues.

16. Rhonda says:

Can you recommend good sources of iodine?

17. Andy Reed says:

Kev, Yes friends and family are very healing. I am going to my community Kirtan group this Sat to commune with devotion.

Thank you for all the research on thyroid!

Ryan Drum has a great article on thyroid health and bladderwrack seaweed. Bladderwrack is the best source of natural iodine for hypothyroidism.
    see http://www.ryandrum.com/thyroid1.html

Besides iodine the other necessary ingredient for the thyroid hormones is tyrosine, found readily in pumpkin and sesame seeds.

The raw diet has improved my thyroid function, and I plenty of crucifers every day.

Bless!!

18. bitt says:

Kevin! thank you so much for addressing this. I developed thyroid issues after eating lots more cruciferous vegetables and silly me i thought i gave myself thyroid problems. i asked my naturopath and she said it was unlikely. more likely that it was stress that caused the hypothyroid. funny thing is now that you say that about iodine i was having plenty of dulse at the same time so i am now pretty sure i did not bring it on myself. i have been careful to have a bit less kale and have more chard and other greens to mix it up but i will go ahead and make a big batch of kale chips and eat them guilt-free! but don’t make me eat too much cabbage. it gives me the toots.

19. Suebee says:

Thanks for answering my questions…to sum, eat kelp with ur cruciferous veggies if ur low in iodine, But can those of us with normal thyroids eat a lot of kelp????

Yikes, sorry for another question.

I do miss AnnMarie….

20. Jackie Ryan says:

I would also like a few ideas on Iodine supplements.
    Thanks,
    Jackie

21. Liliane says:

Thank you for that great presentation, Professor Gianni! You have definitely done your homework. Thank you on our behalf & happy week-end. :-)

22. Amy says:

Thanks for settling this Kevin! I was going to ask this question if someone else didn’t because of what Donna Gates said about the danger of raw cruciferous vegetables. Cherie’s question above is also interesting: I am interested in improving my near-sighted vision naturally, if possible. Have you found a way to do this, or do you have any info on it? Thanks again!

23. NOAA Janet says:

Yes excellent job Kevin! Was very informative. On behald of all Slovak cabbage lovers everywhere, I thank you!

But now have a question on the nutrition levels of Kelp noodles (since we are working to balance the levels of iodine in the body in relation to the brassica family issues you mentioned. Kelp noodles are one of the LEAST nutritious seaweeds around and they are not very digestable by the body and they cause lots of tiny tears in the intestinal track. Also they are they are rather expensive in comparison to regular noodles and some other seaweeds. Would it not be better to get them in bulk and to use seaweeds that are more nutritious than kelp noodles that you love with your tomato basil pesto so so much????!!!

24. Patrina says:

For an up-to-date look at goitrogenic substances in food, look here:

This is an additional page from the same source I quoted earlier.

25. donna harris says:

yes thanks for the information. i love it. thanks again.you did the work and i benifit.

26. Almamater says:

Thank you, friend. Not that I was worried, I hadn’t been holding my breath, so to speak, about the issue, but it is good to know that, as usual, raw veggies are great for us!

27. Ramalingam says:

Kevin,
    Raw foodist’s from India do not take any Iodine supplements instead the practice of yoga asanas such as sarvangasan(shoulder stand pose) and machasan(fish pose) help them in preventing hypothyrodism, I do not know whether sarvangasan have effect on isothiocyanite or glucoside. But most of the raw vegan foodist live without cancer and thyroid deficiency for decades and generations.

Ram Govindaraj

28. zyxomma says:

For everyone inquiring about an iodine supplement: There’s a terrific one called Iosol, I think it’s made (or maybe just distributed) by TCEP in Costa Mesa, CA. Just google Iosol. Mix one drop of the product in fresh water & take one teaspoon of the solution daily (2 if your thyroid’s really low). Simple & strong! I haven’t taken it in years because I eat so much seaweed, but when I needed it, it really did the job! When I was eating more crucifers than usual (had VitaMixed a batch of cauliflower soup, or bok choy & Nappa cabbage were the best veggies at the greenmarket), I’d take a tsp. of Iosol solution prophylactically. Always been cautious about this because apart from me, everyone in my family is low thyroid to some degree (my older sister takes Synthroid, my younger sister takes Armour Thyroid), & I don’t want it! I used my pendulum & got a positive result about eating broccoli, cauliflower (esp. the orange and purple varieties), Brussels sprouts, cabbages, kale, mustard greens, broccoli rabe, and especially Romanesco (I love the fractal look of it). I LOVE my veggies, & that includes all the crucifers – did you know they include black radish? They’re also called Brassica. NOAA Janet: You can use soaked arame as a noodle. Not spaghetti length like the kelp noodles, but shorter (like the noodles in lots of soups). Arame is very high in nutrition. Btw, other studies have shown that cruciferous veggies all have compounds in the raw state that inhibit tumor formation, and not just in the bladder. The real lesson here is that some “health professionals” will jump on any little result from one survey or study and extrapolate that to mean it applies universally. We’re all individuals, with unique characteristics, and apart from keeping up with the latest research, should cultivate our INTUITION as well as our minds & bodies to achieve vibrant health (that’s why I used my pendulum to douse my personal affinity with this wonderful group of veggies, instead of reading something in a thyroid health book & thinking it applies to me).

Also, the iodine in the thyroid is protected by colloids (carbon compounds) whose sole purpose is to keep the iodine in the thyroid, since it’s necessary for the production of thyroid hormones essential to life. Unless the thyroid has been removed or damaged, no matter what the BLOOD levels of iodine are, the highest concentration of iodine in the body is always in the thyroid, where it belongs. If you add ionic trace minerals to your purified water (as most of us should, since so much of our soil is mineral deficient), and you’re NOT low thyroid (thinning hair, uncomfortably dry skin, low energy, unable to drop weight, sleep disturbance, memory fog are all indicators), you probably get all the iodine you need already. Sea vegetables, IMO, are the best source. Iosol, also IMO, is the best supplement. Didn’t mean to go on so long, but having family members with low thyroid, I’ve researched this pretty thoroughly. Health and peace, everyone.

29. Sharon says:

Mercury can block the iodine receptors so for permanent thyroid health a person needs to get all mercury out of the body.

I had a very high mercury overload and developed thyroid problems. What finally fixed it (I think!) was neural therapy. I was VERY determined not to use medications so it was quite challenging.

One of the typical ways to guess if you have a thyroid problem is when you just look at food and gain weight and can’t lose it. If that’s happening, it’s time to get tested. Tiredness, coldness and brain fog are also common symptoms.

My naturopath recommend Liqui-Dulse by Bernard Jenson for people with thyroid issues. It is possible to get overloaded with iodine too so get tested periodically.

When I eat most raw cruciferous veggies my ears itch which is my little tell-tale sign that I shouldn’t eat something. Oddly enough the stems of broccoli and cauliflower are fine but not the flowery parts. That’s just me and everyone’s different so get tested if you’re concerned about it!

30. Christina says:

It is extremely important for raw foodists to obtain iodine because for the most part we limit or have entirely eliminated our table salt intake. I personally use sea salt on the rare occasions when I salt my food. Sea salt is not iodized salt. Luckily, I LOVE sea vegetables! Dulse, kelp, etc. They are all such a gift! Incorporate them into your diet if you have either eliminated or reduced your salt intake. Dulse by itself makes a great snack and reminds me of jerky. I use kelp to make “living pad thai” and chop it finely to be “rice” in my veggie sushi wraps. The possibilities with sea veggies are endless!

31. Darren says:

A few weeks ago I was diagnosed with a benign tumor on the left lobe of my thyroid. I was lucky enough to get a protocol from Daniel Reid and Dr. Mark Sircus that includes sodium bicarbonate, magnesium chloride, vitamin D, an elimination of all processed sugars, and Nascent Iodine.

The Nascent Iodine, for supplementation, is by far the best. You can actually feel it go directly to the thyroid. Of course food sources are great, but if you have a deficiency or tumor of any kind, this form of iodine may be what you’re looking for.

Since starting this prescription just a week and a half ago I have noted differences in the size, position, and texture of the tumor, as well as an increase in energy, better metabolism and a confidence that I will be able to restore the thyroid to normal naturally.

I do eat raw cruciferous vegetables for their cancer fighting properties, and together with the Nascent Iodine and vitamin D, which work to restore correct cell apoptosis (cell death), I will be able to keep both lobes of my thyroid and keep away from synthetic supplementation.

If anyone is anyone else in a similar situation, I hope that you will look into Dr. Sircus’ works on fighting cancers, and restoring health.

Thanks for position this blog on cruciferous vegetables and the thyroid. Before learning about what to do I was nervous about what to put into my mouth, as well as a bit down on what my conventional diagnosis was (surgery and meds). With the right information, all that has changed, and I hope others will find similar success.

32. Kini Hoku says:

Hi Kevin!
    Thanks for the information. I have a problem with my thyroid and also a weird sound in my ears (when I eat wrong foods the sound in my ears gets louder), problems with my heart, blood, large intestine,…
    : ( I’m very confused what I can eat and what I should avoid.
    So, is it ok to eat seaweed? How about chlorella, spirulina, E3live??
    How about ginger, onion, garlic, turmeric, spices..?

I’ve been eaten the 80/10/10 for about one month. I want to continue the raw vegan diet. : )
    I’ve been a vegan for 9 years. I think I got that thyroid problem because I ate too much soy products, oily, sugary, processed food before.

Can anybody give me an advice?

Thanks!!

33. Marietta says:

Thanks for this show Kevin! I’ve been considering my cruciferous vegetable intake over the past few days because I noticed that I was starting to turn orange, and some research points to carotenosis being linked with hypothyroidism. I’m thinking the carotenosis may have something to do with all the carotenoids in leafy greens I’m consuming anyway (I don’t eat too many carrots so I don’t think that’s the answer!). I’ll keep on with the cruciferous veggies, but in moderation!

Thanks again!

34. bryan says:

Kevin, I’m so happy you’ve addressed this issue ! Ever since Donna Gates mentioned that cru… you know vegetables weren’t digestible I’ve wondered what your or other people in the raw/ nutrition fields take would be.I & my girlfriend both have candida & your success w/ treating it is something that’s very motivating…( even though you’re probably tired of talking about it).The fermented stuff makes alot of sense,& we’ve read alot about the raw lifestyle, it’s still hard for me to get past the idea that just about anything cooked is deficient in some way.We love you & Anne Marie!!!

35. Roberta McMillian says:

Kevin, that’s why I love to watch you. You do your research and temper it with common sense and I can understand the information. You are a good teacher. Thank you!

36. Gudni says:

Many years ago I ate a very fresh cabbage I think it is called cabbage in english. The white stuff. Anyway…when I started to eat I just couldn´t stop eating it. It was like a candy. I was so surprised. My body craved it and took over my impulses and it didn´t burn. It was an life experience. I know that this farmer really cares about his produce so it was high quality. But I have since then of course eaten cabbage but it was not nearly that good and I often find it to be burning in the mouth and as well the stomach. So what I am trying to say is cabbage is not always same as cabbage. I wonder if the chemical structure in food is not always the same. Depending on if it is organic, fresh, rich or poor soil, sunny or rainy and so on and therefore the synchronicity is compromised. But of course you are talking about in general and this one chemical. I just thought I should share the story anyway.

37. Althea says:

THANK U! :)

38. Roseanna says:

After pituitary surgery, my adrenals and thyroid were severely compromised. I use iodine with water (one drop) in the am, I take a supplement that has kelp in it and alot of superfoods in capsule form ALONG with my cruciferous’s (sp?) am not giving those up! And , YES, I can breathe the ocean air-stand barefoot in my garden and look up to the full moon – grounded. Life is good. (WILL NOT TAKE THE PHARMACEUTICALS ‘they’ want me on either).

39. Leslie says:

As I said, refer to “Eat Right 4 Your Type” for blood type histories and how they evolved. A father & son doctor team spent their lives observing and chemically testing this research. O being the oldest and least changing, survives well but with myriad problems. They often are deficient of iodine, but ALL TYPES may be because of our poor sources of iodine. In chemistry class you can watch the body’s reaction to the iodine attached to table salt. It doesn’t want to recognize it. I wouldn’t ingest it! ~Salt used in fast food and convenience doesn’t have to have iodine, either.
    My favorite source is a Martha Stewart DLT, or Dulse, lettuce & tomato (you can add omega eggs, avocado, onion, etc)on Ezekiel bread, since I am not eating gluten. Raw breads or crackers work also. Ezekiel is sprouted but cooked, sprouting also uses up gluten.(It is like an intermediate step).
    Martha can pick dulse out of the Atlantic but we have to buy 2 oz. The flakes are more economical and may be added to soups and all kinds of recipes, but don’t work for the DLT, which has never failed to convert! Martha puts it in olive oil? but that changes the flavor from bacon to seaweedy. Put it on crumbly, dry and raw, it doesn’t take more than a strip or two, so it lasts. Use follow your Heart grapeseed oil Vegenaise mayonaise.
    As the book states, broccoli and all vegetables must be eaten, and raw! Just not to get out of balance. Don’t overdo seaweeds either. One can do the diet strictly for each blood type for 6 weeks, then add things (in my case peanut butter, ok; spelt, NO…)one at a time to discover your true individual allergies or sensitivities. Saves $ testing. In the 4th and 5th week you will wonder why you started, but continue as in the 6th you feel awesome (all your allergy receptors are gone and you are back to childhood).
    I don’t have my books with me but the first test to show cabbage prevented cell damage from radiation was in the ’50s, just misinterpreted! And there is more research about goitragenic properties. I would never say not to eat such a beneficial food source for our times of high pollution, just to be aware of body chemistry and recognize how it makes you feel. Listen to your body and it will begin telling you. Buds of plants are also the best source of abscisic acid since fresh raw butter is unavailable. MORE power to the raw diet! If your diet is rich enough in B6, you can make your “fish oil” directly from seaweed, which is also one of your best sources of trace minerals.
    Naturopathic medicine is mainstream in Arizona and covered by insurance much the same way oriental is in California, where I moved from. Good schools are in Tempe, Jon Bastyr above Seattle, and several in Oregon, where chiropractors also learn surgery. Of course Canada’s is excellent. We learn as an M.D. would but also nutrition, botany, etc. I had my son 26 years ago at home in Lake Tahoe, and he couldn’t enjoy better health. But think of the care that preceded him, too.
    Many people don’t know for instance that thujone in sage, a wildly beneficial herb, can cause seizures. Take responsibility for your eating, as everyone here is!
    Change health care by demanding a non-drug oriented practitioner. YOU-oriented, environmentally complementary, not the medical model. To your good life!

40. andy says:

Iodine is very powerfull for cancer treatment, can be painted on the skin. Good for breast cancer, melanomas and others. ALso good way to get iodine into the body.

41. Tara says:

Hmm… I wasn’t even aware of the original study or the possible need to limit cruciferous veggies. Good to know… both that it’s not a concern, and things to monitor, in case it ever is. The funny thing is, I never liked many raw cruciferous veggies (especially, broccoli and cauliflower) until I started eating a higher raw diet. I found a recipe for raw “cauliflower couscous” in Matt Amsden’s “RAWvolution” book, and ever since, raw cauliflower gets two thumbs up! :-)

42. sheree says:

Hi Kevin. I loved this post. I do have hypothyroism. I have been on synthetic thyroid pills for 22 years. I did a alot of studing and decided to ask my doctor for a more natural product. Being vegan it was hard to do, but the pros out weigh and con’s. I am on Armour Thyroid, which comes from pigs. (blech).. But at least I have confirmation from all the naturapaths that if you have to be on meds at least take something natural that your body can use instead of man made chemicals. Sorry for being long winded. Needless to say I just had my levels taken and wonder what you thought. Do you think I need more iodine if I eat cruciferous veggies? My levels are T4free .85 and TSH is .51. I do drink a green powder daily that has 150 mcg of iodine from sea kelp in it.(Greens today – Vegan formula)

43. Linda says:

Hi, I boost thyroid by adding up to a half teaspoon of kelp powder plus a teaspoon of tyrosine powder to my green smoothy in the morning – that way it doesn’t matter what my cruciferous intake is after that. Kevin, love your broadcasts, thanks

44. Michael T. says:

Thanks, Kevin, for a good presentation.

Certainly, there will be a lot of individual variability on the goitrogen issue.

You are young and male and probably have plenty of thyroid hormone, so you can eat all the cruciferous veggies you want.

Women as they grow older are more likely to have problems with hypothyroidism. So, they need to be more careful.

A friend of mine, female, in her 50s, started big on green smoothies, and within a few weeks she was feeling really cold much of the time. She then stopped blending cruciferous veggies, and her body temperature returned to normal. She is probably a borderline case of low thyroid, and the isothiocyanates were enough to push her over the edge.

There is a big difference between eating a small amount of cabbage versus putting a large amount of raw greens into a smoothie. People who eat a lot of green smoothies need to be careful, and should be tested for thyroid issues of they have symptoms.

The high speed blending action of the vitamix breaks down cell walls and will release more of the isothiocyanates, compared to just chewing on the leaves.

This topic came up in response to people commenting about Victoria Boutenko. Have you had a chance to ask her whether she has low thyroid? Of course, that might be none of our business.

Bottom line: I agree with you that for most people, simply adding more iodine to the diet will balance out the effects of moderate cruciferous veggie consumption.

Michael T.

45. Bridey says:

Awe! Big breath of fresh air, thank you!!

(people ask me all the time if I eat cruciferous veggies with my thyroid issues & being raw, and I say yes I do eat them, although I was scared to eat them when I first went raw. But I also supplement with iodine.)

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! :)

46. Frances says:

Thanks for this I really appreciate it!!
    I do have another “greens” question:
    Okay, so I think we can all agree that leafy greens are a source of protiens, calcium, etc., things that are usually associated with animal products. However, there is some debate as to whether the body ABSORBS these nutrients from vegetable sources. Now, to my mind, I would imagine that if the body didn’t, we’d have a lot of very sick vegans / raw foodists out there with no teeth and soft bones. However, I’m the daughter of scientists, I’d like to know the science behind this. Why are there truths/rumours (depending on your view) out there as to whether the body absorbs these nutrients from vegan sources or not?

47. Carachi says:

I don’t *worry* about thyroid problems with cabbage and stuff – I *experiance* it!
    Whole last winter i just had gone raw, and survived mostly on white cabbage (because it is less expensive). By spring I had thyroid problem (I is svollen and hurts).
    I used to eat seaweed to everything, too!!

Now I have quit ALL crusiferous, and are LOADING myself with greens and LOTS of seaweed! My thyroid is much better now, but I can still feel it go funny when I gry broccoli or something!

So according to your conclusion I’s still need MORE seawead to coup!?
    But then they say you should not eat to much seaweed – especially Kelp, that is VERY high in iodine, and you might get sick from overloading on it!!

What is your take on seawead, and Kelp? Should we just eat it without restriction? (I have been wondering about your kelp noodels – I’v heard you should only eat kelp once a month?!)
    (Though I eat it every day now, because of my problems/recovery thing.)

Also something you did not address in your video: Donna Gates says fermented cabbage is ok. What does sience say about that? Does it kill the good stuff too, like cooking? Or is it really the best way to it them for us with thyroid problems?

Hope you can wrap up the last loose ends on this one…

48. rose says:

thanks Kevin. you really did your research!
    i have always been concerned about this. but now i will add kelp powder to balance things out! you’re hard at work while Anne Marie is away!

49. rose says:

i have had differing opinions on my thyroid. one doc said underactive , the other said borderline overactive…

so i don’t treat it any way. just raw and healthy food…

50. Miranda says:

Thanks Kevin, from another sufferer with hypothyroidism. The info on iodine is really useful as it does clear up any questions on cruciferous veg. Lately I’ve been using Susan Teton Campbells idea of blending sea vegetables into a powder and sprinkling it over salads etc and using it on everything instead of salt – it’s really tasty and my pink crystal Himalayan salt is left sitting in the cupboard most of the time. I stopped eating raw cruciferous vegetables because of this misconception so now I will go back to eating them again.
    I succeeded in improving my hypothyroid condition before I started using the powdered sea veg though – I cut out soy milk and raw cruciferous veg and took supplements of
    L-Tyroseine and Ashwaganda, which are both thyroid supporting supplements and was amazed by the result – now I’m using such a lot of sea veg I’m hoping for an even better result in my next TSH test.

51. Miranda says:

Hi again. One more thing, I meant to ask – how about doing something on adrenal problems and how they can be healed naturally. There is a close connection between the adrenal glands and the thyroid – I have a problem with both and while I’m having some success healing my thyroid I don’t seem to be getting anywhere with my adrenals. I have a very rare condition affecting them for the last 20 years(they are both enlarged and produce very high amounts of aldosterone and I have severe potassium loss) – it’s virtually impossible to get information to help this as not many doctors know about it – I’m stuck with taking a cocktail of medication for the rest of my life and my doctor won’t even discuss any other options – it would be useful to know what foods or supplements are healing to the adrenals.

52. Susan Bessette says:

I am new to raw foods and have been living in blissful ignorance, simply enjoying my improving health and energy.
    Before discovering raw foods, and trying this and that to address my stomach pains, I got on the Eat Right for Blood Type….which helped tremendously.
    As a Type A, I should avoid cruciferous vegs. They did bother me cooked, but I now eat them raw with no detectable side effects.
    Question: Is Eat Right Blood Type applicable when eating raw? or are raw foods magic (as they seem to be) all all that goes away?

53. Renee' says:

Thank you for your very real shows. Please let me know what you think of individual differences and the inappropriateness of any supplementation of iodine. What if urine tests show no measurable iodine and any iodine supplementation may be more than the actual person requires or can process without effects on the endocrine system? Has anyone had a similar experience to this? Consistenly when I eat nori or take kelp tablets, I have had endocrine changes, explained to me as oestrogen effects. The effect is within a day and resolves by removing it. What do you suggest with this when there is autoimmune thyroiditis,hypothyroidism and no measurable iodine? Interestingly, I began spirulina powder supplementation about 2 months ago to help generally without knowing that it was a source of iodine. I had more energy. However, I became nauseous some weeks back and could not tolerate the spiruline anymore. It may be the iodine in it? Has anyone else experienced sensitivity to iodine related supplementation even with low or no measurable iodine levels?

54. Marla says:

I also have exhausted adrenals and would love to hear your opinion on how to get the adrenals back on track. Thank you so much.

55. Irondoll says:

This was an excellent and informativ show, Kevin, thanks, and you have a lot of smart folks who watch whose comments above I really appreciate.

I no longer eat broccoli or cauliflower regularly, because I don’t have any good raw recipes. Also, I read that too much Vit A can cause hair loss, which I’ve had over my adult life and which seems to have excellerated along with aging and stress I’ve experience in the last 4 years. I do like swiss chard, cabbage and collard greens and have them ocassionally.

An MD asked me to do a Barnes Basal Temperature Test years ago, and I came up hypothyroid at 97.6 and took natural thyroid, however, I stopped, because I did’t want to be dependent on supplements. What do I do now?

56. Page says:

To zyxomma:
    You beat me to the comment. I, too, use Iosol. A drop or two each morning in about 4 ounces of water. I get mine from Wellness Resources in Minnesota.

Thanks for the info Kevin! In the past, raw broc and such would give me heartburn, but, thanks to green smoothies, I no longer experience heartburn. Yippee!

57. Ed Bogusz says:

Hi Kevin, the more shows I watch the less you look like a kid to me. “Spot on” is how a friend of mine would comment on this show.My expirience with Iodine suppliments began several years ago.Several sources mentioned in comments linked me to my source,”breastcancerchoices.org” , the site is a source that gives the how, when, and whys of our Iodine depletion, Their source is “Iodoral” , prep up on the protocal and be ready to name the brain fog you come out from , and see if like me you have your visual clarity improved as well. Old dudes sill learn too..P

58. Ed says:

I almost got away clean, but kevin, when you are outside and keeping the sun behind the camera, give yourself some shade. When you squint my eyes hurt. P

59. Brent says:

thanks Kev. ok so lets talk about meat now, like how our monkey relatives eat a small portion of bugs and other animals in their diet, should we also do the same and include some animal products to some degree?

60. Genie says:

Any chance of getting a small summation print out on the site, on these articles.
    I have moved and no longer have access to cable, really hard to get the video on dial up.
    I am really missing the things you are teaching.

61. joel despas says:

Pls. e-mail me the cauliflower pop corn resipe and similar raw vegetable recipes.
    thanks, Joel

62. Myriam says:

Hi Kevin,
    thank you for answering so fast to my question on what can not be eaten raw. My question was more about food that can be harmful to eat raw, not so much what taste good or bad. I was looking for a more scientific approach. I can feel what works for me after i try new food but with a 6 year old it’s hard to check was works well or not. Don’t want to fed my child potentially armfull meal thinking i’m doing the best for him! I was always told that potato should be cooked because it was toxic, now i see from different research i did on the net, it’s only the greenish part i should avoid.
    I live in montreal(canada) and i try to buy as local as possible. Summer is easy enought for that but as we get closer to winter it gets to be a challenge to eat a variety of fresh fruits and veg. Also some things are difficult to find (searching for young coconut meat, not so local).
    BTW it’s amazing how a question can get to another so quickly…
    Thank you again, great show!

63. Chris & Sara says:

I dont think this will be the last time you talk about this Kevin. And I hope not, because this info will need to be repeated. :)

I find it very odd, it seems like people are trying to find reasons why not to eat healthy. ?

I wonder what the lifestyle of the people that have the thyroid/kidney/adrenal problems and other multiple probs, were the majority of their lives- drinking, smoking, processed foods, poor sleep, etc-?? If only they had broken down the ingredients of their alcohol, cigarrettes, coffee and other stimulants, not to mention fake sugars and prescription drugs were!!!! Now they worry about a broccoli head?!?!?

After abusing your body most of your life, it will take some time to bring it back to health naturally. Please be patient with yourself and love yourself.

It seems like COMMOM SENSE that eating naturally is more healthy. Keep it simple. Knowledge is power, but we have to keep our eye on the bigger picture.

Thanks Kev for a clear explanation. I had no idea of that study or even where that info had come from ! THats why we love ya!

ALOHA~ and a BIG MAHALO~

64. Sandra says:

I think all the thyroid problems have a lot to do with EMF’s. The radiation goes right to the thryoid & the brain. This is a fact. Get the Barefoot Connections & protect yourself as much as you can from EMF’s. Focus on healing with the mind and don’t over do any foods. Throw away your cell phone & use only land lines. Cordless phones are just as dangerous as cell phones.

65. Let me confirm what you just said as that is my understanding as well. Eating crucifers is not a problem if one is iodine sufficient!

66. Dave says:

Thanks for the info! And great theme music btw!

67. Thanks for putting the science into perspective, Kevin – another great show. As it happens, I’ve been eating raw broccoli and cabbage for so long now, it just tastes so wrong cooked!

Would a great booster be raw sushi with the “rice” made from a mix of finely chopped cauliflower and cashews? The seaweed wrap would give iodine.

@Chris & Sara I’ve seen ladies who’ve become deficient after heavy metal exposure (mercury amalgams). Sadly it’s not always people living wild that get depleted.

68. Odd-Arne says:

For iodine you just go heavy on the sea veggies. If you eat some kelp you should get more than enough.

69. Well written and excellent comments! I second the opinion about bladderwrack, and if anyone wonders where to get it, for the highest concentration of excellent source of iodine for hypothyroidism, then my friend Barbara and John Stevens-Lewallen hand harvest it from the Pacific Ocean in Mendocino Sea Vegetable Company and their tel. number is: 1-707-895-2996 sad thing is that the government signed an enactment into law to ban them from harvesting in what they call certain protected nature conservancy areas and cut down their livelihood by 40 percent, so please support them, the rivers leading into the ocean there are pristine clean and both the people harvesting sea veggies and the native Indians have been hurt by their cold hearts not willing to listen to their pleas…

70. M. Paterson, CO says:

Hi Kevin,
    I love what you have to say and I always look forward to more!

May I please give you some constructive criticism here? I did find it distracting to watch your hand constantly moving up and down in front of your face. Just something to be aware of.

Keep up the great work you are doing!

71. Ginny Fisher says:

Thanks, Kevin!! That long ago study didn’t keep me from eating the crucifers because anytime I hear a study against healthy natural food I know something about it is wrong!! But it’s good to have the real up-to-date info. You’re awesome! Ginny

72. Thank you so much!!!

Intuitively I did not believe that raw cruciferous vegetables were bad for us. I feel more solid now. Great detective work. Very clear presentation.

Thanks again. Happiness, Peace, Health and Abundance for All!

Many Blessings,
    Pamela Melcher

73. Peter says:

Hi Kevin! check this out,
    a good research about the anticancer properties of I3C in Kale ,Broccoli etc.

74. Patrick says:

If anyone gets this far down the messages …

after scanning through the replies above, several seem to suggest taking iodine supplements, the need for salt if eating raw (!!!) etc and more. Before you take any of this advice, consider what you are doing and look into the subject. Kevin recommends supplementation for various things, something I have taken him to task on before, I believe it is contrary to the body’s needs, except in extreme and critical situations, taking any kind of supplementation as a palliative or to fix a moderate problem that a healthy diet will remedy is not doing your body any favours. We get the sodium we need from a ‘healthy’ raw diet, no need to supplement and definitely avoid any type of extracted salts (including seasalts) which are detrimental to the body.

75. Laura G says:

Good show as usual.

I have some questions, somewhat off the subject here.
    -What ionic minerals do you recommend?
    -Besides sunlight is there a good healthy supplement to take for vitamin d?
    (I understand medicinal mushrooms are a source for this. Do you know if that is the case?)

76. Kevin, great video; I am so glad you addressed this as these cruciferous vegetables are one of a kind when it comes to cancer prevention, it’s amazing how one study taken out the context of the whole can throw people off.

Good stuff,
    All my best
    John Allen

77. Michael T. says:

Kevin,

I’ve done a little more research, which indicates that iodine supplementation is NOT a definitive cure for hypothyroidism.

It is an over-simplification to say that low thyroid is just a matter of not having enough iodine in the body. There is more to it than that.

The iodine requires the action of an enzyme called thyroid peroxidase in order to be attached to thyroid hormone. Simply eating iodine is not enough. You need to have the fully functioning enzyme.

And the problem with the crucifers is that the isothiocyanates BLOCK the action of the thyroid peroxidase enzyme. So, eating more iodine will not solve the problem if the enzyme is being blocked.

Here is a good article that explains this effect:

The article also explains that the isoflavones found in soy products also block the enzyme.

Thyroid function is complex, and solving the problem of low thyroid it is not just a case of eating more seaweed.

Michael T.

78. Raluca says:

Great info! I enjoyed both the video, and the comments!

But I do have a question. I am almost hypo, with an auto-immune Hashimoto thyroiditis. Besides goitrogens, my doctor said I am not allowed to have any iodine (either from food, or from drugs), since iodine helps the antibodies to “eat” the thyroid faster. What do you think about this?

Maybe the root for this is in the fact that Hashimoto did not even exist until the iodization of the salt? So it is referring only to synthetic iodine?

79. Christine says:

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, it came too late because my thyroid has been removed completely, not because of cancer but because of an inflammation and beginning of a goitre.
    My question is, what can one do to regain back one’s health after a thyroidoctomy. 10 years after the operation, I’m still struggling with weight gain, fatigue etc. My doctor doens’t want to prescribe a natural hormone replacement like Armour. I tried to get the information from the pharmacist who didn’t want to give it. By the way, I live in Vienna, Austria. It is difficult to get the info one wants because it is all written in German and some of the products mentionned above, have either different names in German or are not available on the market. There has been a great improvement because of the European Union, and food labels come with a translation in differents EU languages, but it’s not the case yet for medicin.
    In conclusion, I can say that I still cannot breath freely because I still deal with hypothyroidism despite the tablets I take everyday. Raw food helps a lot, and I have to be patient and find more helpful hints in order to avoid being predcribed more pills to swallow, because the synthetic hormone replacement I take comes with a lot of secondery effects.

80. delaney says:

It was always a question in the back of my mind but I never avoided eating these foods. Thanks for this show.

81. George says:

Here is my story – when i first started making vegetable/fruit smoothies in the morning as breakfast, it was amazing! i had more energy than ever before and i was loving it for weeks. Then I added a little raw broccoli switching it up with raw cauliflower as well. wow, everything changed! i was really tired and dragging all day long. i had no idea what in the world happened! at this point i never heard of the whole cruciferous vegetable thyroid issue but the very morning that i did not include any cruciferous vegetables in my smoothie, my awesome energy was back! :) then i happened to read not to eat them raw and i havent ever since and for the past 6 months my smoothies have been awesome again! im 37 and i dont believe i believe my thyroid levels are all excellent

82. Cori says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie,

I always enjoy your show and learn a lot, thanks for what you do! I was wondering if you ever post responses to the forum questions? I always see such good follow up questions, and look, but don’t see a response from you. I’m guessing it’s probably a time issue thing, but thought I would ask.

Thanks again for all you do!

83. Wow, Kevin – hot subject. I can see from the replies that there is a TREMENDOUS amount of mis-information happening about iodine, iodine supplementation and thyroid function. I hope you will use your research time and influence to help more people with this.

For starters, most iodine supplementation is highly radioactive, and causes more harm than good. People getting it from sea vegetation are on the right track.

#2, if iodine absorbs through your skin, your body is SCREAMING for it. When you have an adequate supply, it will sit on your skin for days. That said, the iodine patch test is the best way I know to determine how you are doing, supply-wise. Unfortunately, nearly all isolated liquid iodine is radioactive, so do this rarely.

My solution is to just take good ol’ Wachters Formula 22A tablets. They are inexpensive, come from the most experienced sea vegetation research on the planet, and are extremely low radiation. Additionally, I get the benefits of all the other perfect nutrients from the sea vegetation.

I would give you a link to get some, but then this post would probably get cut, so I suggest that you just go to Google and search for Wachters nutrition. It is the original MLM company, anad there are distributors all over the country, so you will likely find one near you …

Regarding deciding if I should eat raw cabbage, kale and broccoli, I merely muscle test on it. That which we grow in our natural garden ALWAYS tests good. The stuff in grocery stores gets mixed reviews, probably depending on how much toxic residue is stored in those leaf folds. If you don’t know muscle testing, there are many good books. Power vs. Force by Dr. David Hawkins is one of my favorites.

To your Perfect Health: NATURALLY!
    Bruce

84. Laura says:

I have a sizeable goiter but my blood tests state that there is nothing wrong with my thyroid. I understand that this is common – that the blood tests often have to be taken at the exact right time to confirm a thyroid problem. Anyway, although I have backslidden the last couple months, from January to May, I was about 70% raw. During that time my goiter shrunk to about 3/4 of the size and some of my other symptoms have also been eliminated (although a trade off appears to be that I’m losing hair – not a biggie cause it is growing back – but frightening at first). Anyway, I rarely have eaten brocolli, kale, etc. because I had read it was bad – So, I will probably start eating those kinds of veggies again because I like them – but I really can not stand sea vegetables – I force myself to sprinkle dulse on some of my salads. Is there any other veggie to eat to get the iodine in? I don’t do supplements or pills.

Thank you.

Laura

85. Olga says:

I just received Donna Gates’s news letter about sea vegetables, and confused as she put kelp, kombu and laminaria in three different groups.. Earlier I’ve learned that all these are the same.. However, since i have started to eat green smooothy several years ago, I add to the Vitamix fruits [apples+seasonal org.grapes] and leafy greens [kale included] and garden herbs, and sea weeds I have, often it is Sea lettuce, Kelp/Kombu – soaked over night. I guess it is knowledge mixed with intuiton, as me and my husband both have Hashimoto A/Immune hypothyroid. And by the way my latest test shown that my thyroid numbers are improved. The goal is of course to get rid of this synthetic hormone, cause it eventually could lead to heart and bones problems.. I’ve heard from Angela Stokes that she fixed her similar condition by using homeopathic remedy. That’s what i am looking forward to find to myself and my hubby..

86. Laura Fox says:

Aloha Kevin! Thanks for this! Very excellent work my friend. It is good news for this RAW broccoli lover. Now I won’t wince when I go in the produce section and gaze at my favorite vegetable. Instead I’ll boost my iodine and make some delicious raw brocolli recipes! In fact, I’ll post one at http://www.rawinspirations.com just for fun in support of your fab research! Blessings!
    Laura

87. Laura Fox says:

Okay, here it is! I posted two yummy raw vegan recipes which include broccoli. Blessings! http://snipurl.com/pjbi4

88. Meri says:

Great job, thanks Kevin. It’s about time someone shed some light on all this cruciferous bashing that’s been going on!
    I can now rest easy as I eat my daily cruciferous veggies. I would have really missed them if I had to give them up.

89. mary kay says:

A dozen years ago, being interested in my health, when I discovered I was slightly hypothyroid, I embarked on a handful of experiments to naturally cure my thyroid.

One was to add iodine while at the same time adding kelp. Result: it made it worse.

The other was to increase goitrogenic veggies.
    Result: stayed the same.

Yet another was to increase my consumption of soy. result, no change.

Over the years, I tried tyrosine, raw glandulars and on and on. Nothing helped. Now mind you, I was only slightly hypo, with a TSH that ranged from 3.5 – 7.5.

Today, I am cured. By accident. I went on a couple raw juice fasts, and it was cured. I actually became hyper while on a fast and was taking meds, and discontinued them. This was three yrs ago. A couple mos ago my TSH was 2.01.

Many naturopaths many yrs ago said to take kelp/iodine, so this is why I tried it. Mary Shomon, (the ultimate thyroid authority, IMO), also said this could make it worse, but I tried it anyway. She said this back then anyway….don’t know what she’s saying now…

So my advice is to be scientific about it ON your own body. Measure before, and then supplement/do whatever for at least 8 wks and test again.

Adding kelp/iodine did not work for me.

However, there is another variable to this I did not mention: I quit regular table salt and changed to sea salt. I think this helps too. I believe the iodine added to reg table salt is not ionic/natural, and wreaks havoc with your thyroid.

HTH, pls test your own body.

Mary Kay

90. mary kay says:

Sorry, but in the prvious post, I kept saying “kelp” when I should have been saying sea vegetables. Not only kelp.

Mary Kay

91. Pat Fox says:

I have heard more about cruciferous veggies being ‘bad’ for you simply because our bodies don’t manufacture cellulase to break down the large amounts of cellulose in them. Some folks recommend blanching by pouring boiling water over the veggies, covering, and letting them sit for 5 or so minutes. Not all raw, but not quite cooked either. It breaks down the cellulose. Same with fermentation?
    Anyway, I’m glad to say my thyroid is in good shape. Now for the rest of me… (<: Pat

92. Tonya says:

Great information. Thanks!

93. Avi Saha says:

wow awesome video, i loved how u covered how the isothcyanates lower iodine on the metabolic level, especially b/c it gave me a few key pts i have to mention

Isothcyanates CAN bind to iodine, whether they will or not is due to chance, is it possible to get 99 heads flipping a coin out of 100 times? yes but not likely, therefore it’s possible for the isothcyanates to bind to all the iodine preventing it from reaching out cells, and the opposite,

just like how sugar and vitamin C compete with eachother to enter cells, it’s impossible to guess exactly what happens when you have 50 grams of each or something, or how vitamin C can help iron and antioxidants enter cells, we can’t predict, it just may happen. And the most important thing that scientists get carried away with, is what u mmentioned kevin, you gotta look at it as a WHOLE, what happens when u have tons of dulse + kale in a smoothie, wow u just have tons of energy, haha grEAT POST wow i love this newsletter

Avi saha- 2 month raw foodist 18 years living,

asaha@umd.edu

my question, how does yoga affect thyroid? cuz i’ve heard this many times, and someone posted above, and lastly, isothcyanates + iodine obviously have great beenfits, but that’s just 2 things you can do, what about other factors, B12, mineral deficiencies/abundance, can u seriously ever measre every sngle factor that could affect something and see what happens? NO!! so even the 1983 study, really doesn’t say as much as what we would need to know to be completely qualm-less..

94. sue says:

great video and yes i agree that less on the web page side bar would help loading..
    but my question is where do i get a copy of the book you mentioned about toxins in food?

thanks again

95. Juliette says:

That is a huge relief, as for a long time now I have been wary of eating cruciferous veggies, my mum has thyroid issues and I have similar traits but test negative (so far) so have been being careful up to now.

One other thing I have been wary of eating however is Spirulina ever since I read that it contains B12 analogue, which fits into the B12 receptor sites and blocks real B12 from being absorbed. This concerns me and even makes me avoid any form of algae supplement until I find out for sure what the facts are (these supplments are expensive in the first place!)
    Can you work your wonders to get the facts on this issue out there too?
    Keep up the fantastic work, please!

96. Jenn says:

Great show :) I don’t worry myself about this but I’ve seen and heard it so much on different blogs and in person that it’s nice to now have info to back myself up.

I’v been hypo most of my life and can tell when I’m getting better or worse…I’ve never had a problem with any of these veggies, lol except when they overcook it for school lunches and it makes the hallway smell!

I’m sure there are some that may have issues with a few of these veggies, as there are many people that are sensitive to many foods, but I think that is a personal body chemistry issue and not thryoid.

The connection to iodine deficiency is interesting, and I hope that gets many people thinking. Often a vitamin/mineral deficiency can cause many problems and many people are clueless about it. Best source of iodine I have found are sea veggies.

97. Nat says:

I’m hoping this doesn’t have to be quite so black and white. I learned in school that a 20 minute soak will deactivate the goitrogenic effect of the isothiocyanates in cruciferous veg. That’s what I do before juicing or eating my raw Kale. I tried to find research on it but could only find a partial abstract from a Cambridge study on soaking crucifers… but can’t seem to get the whole study or even the abstract.

98. Heather says:

Hi Kevin, Thanks for the great show! I have a couple comments for people who have low thyroid or symptoms of low iodine/low thyroid (like low energy, constipation, cold hands and feet, etc.).

There are reasons that it might be difficult for the human body to absorb iodine, whether in supplement or food form (e.g., sea veggies). One is if they have fluoride in their water (drinking, showers, baths) or other avenues of exposure. Fluoride can displace iodine, even to the extent that you’d pass a thyroid test if you were hypothyroid.

Also, candida produces a neurotoxin that damages the hypothalamus, making it more difficult to absorb iodine. Other things mentioned above, like mercury and heavy metals, x-rays and certain drugs (antidepressantes), low trace minerals and environmental toxins also block iodine absorption.

I think it’s important, what you said about getting iodine levels tested before deciding what you do about raw cruciferous veggies. Many people recommend cooking them lightly or fermenting them because low thyroid seems to be such an under-diagnosed epidemic today. With stressful, over busy lives, thyroid and adrenal problems are often seen.

And people need energy to heal…so without good health of the thyroid and adrenals, it can be difficult to heal from anything.

Thanks for your shows!

99. Elena says:

My take on this comes from a personal experience: the study, whatever it might have been, does not really have a good backing. Nearly 2 years ago I was diagnosed with hypo-thyroid. I was told the same ol’ thing: avoid cruciferous veggies. I, however, really like cruciferous veggies and decided that I would eat them anyway: everything in moderation. At the time of diagnosis I was on a vegan diet for a year, and since kept increasing my raw intake. I was told by an MD that I cannot cure hypo-thyroid. I was recently tested and my thyroid is just fine–I can no longer be diagnosed as hypo-thyroid and am “out of the woods”. Eating Cruciferous veggies did not hurt me, nor do I believe that they can hurt anyone, especially compared to a trasy SAD diet–balanced diet was the answer to my troubles.

So, eat up on Cruciferous vegetables, along with all of the other raw goodness.

100. Make sure to check out StopTheThyroidMadness.com for the most comprehensive look at hypothyroidism, it’s causes, and the optimal remedies. One of the most important sites on the net!
    Almost everyone is iodine deficient, BTW. Try an inexpensive and most effective blend of iodine forms by googling Iodoral (Ebay has great prices). I am Iodine deficient and take 100 mg/day. No, that isn’t dangerous, especially for large breasted women who are nearly always severely deficient (big ta-tas use up loads of iodine;)
    For a major culprit in cause of hypothyroidism and iodine deficiency, avoid SOY! Miso and some other forms like that are okay, but NOT soy sauce and all the soy meats, especially GMO! Blows your hormonal balances right out the window.
    Blessed, healthy, prosperous & free be,
    B’Shem Yeshua,
    with love & shalom from Shalom

101. Barbara says:

Thank you Kevin.

102. Yes! My body has been regenerating a dead thyroid gland for the last five years because I’ve been supplementing with a vegetable-sourced iodine. I am currently taking very little Armour (a natural thyroid hormone med) and anticipate being completely off of it in a few months. The amount of Armour I take dropped dramatically after I went 100% raw vegan about 8 months ago after “playing” at being raw for 15 years. I studied up on the supposed goitrogenic effects of raw, cruciferous vegetables, almonds, etc., and could not find enough evidence to support the claims. So, my thyroid gland is regenerating in spite of the fact that I eat large amounts of the “dangerous” foods. I’ve drawn the conclusion that the supposed goitrogenicity of foods only exists when the foods are eaten in conjunction with other toxins … and could only assume the iodine deficiency part until now. Thanks for sharing this information!

103. Hannah says:

Thanks Kevin, I can definately breathe easier now. Great show and a wealth of research, keep up the good work.:)

How’s Johnny 5 holding up with Annmarie away?

104. Hi & thanks for this information. i am not hypothyroid but have been hyperthyroid for years….Is a Iodine supplement or the addition of kelp into my diet crucial?

Thanks,
    Elizabeth

105. Gwen Forbes says:

Thank you for explaining the Cruciferous issue so clearly. I will save this episode and pass it on when ever someone asks me about cruciferous vegetables and thyroid.

Gwen

106. Amelina says:

I always get to these late!

But I do get to them :)

I want to know about iron!! I am a female in my mid-twenties who has real problems maintaining my serum ferritin. This problem gets worse if I exclude animal flesh from my diet. I do not consume dairy (which I believe inhibits iron absorption), and I get lots of vitamin C in foods (veggies & fruits), I eat between 3-8 cups of greens every single day, and I rotate them somewhat too.

My serum ferritin is frequently below the bottom of “normal”. I do have endometriosis also, but this iron issue has been with me since before things got bad there.

I would love to be able to go meat-free, and get off the iron pills!

107. Allison says:

I think that my own experiences with goitrogenous foods, not just cruciferous vegetables, but also peaches, spinach and flaxseed among others, speaks more loudly than studies. I eat them raw and I have hypothyroid symptoms. There could be more to it. I used to eat a lot of brown seaweed and I took a seaweed product called Modifilan to detox mercury. Too much iodine is just as detrimental as too little. Both situations cause similar symptoms. Also, mercury competes with iodine on the thyroid receptor site. Goitrogenous foods can enhance the problem. I think that we would do better to listen to our bodies and eat for health rather than to rely on studies. We were not made using one recipe.

108. I GREW UP ON A 30 ACRE AVOCADO GROVE, WE HAD SEA VEGETATION VITIMINS, COD LIVER OIL, CARROT JUICE, YOUGART AND MANY FRUITS AND VEGETABLES. I HAVE A THRYOID CONDITION AND TAKE MEDICINE FOR A SLOW THRYOID. I WILL LOOK UP DR. SIRCUS ON THE NASCENT IODINE. THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION AND I WILL TRY TO PASS IT ON TO OTHERS ALSO!

109. Thanks for sharing the thyroid info Kevin. I’ve been studying thyroid issues for a long time and an exhaustive study of hundreds of medline research papers lead me to the same conclusion. Most of the studies on the goitrogenic effect of isothyocyanate used an isolated extract not cruciferous vegetables. And even with large doses of isolates, the effects on the thyroid were reversed by adding iodine to the animal’s diet. I recommend that people who include a lot of crucifers especially in smoothies add a teaspoon of powdered sea vegetables to their smoothies, salad dressings or sprinkled on their food. By doing this, many of my patients have dramatically improved their TSH levels (see below) in as little as 3 months. Certain species of kelp, especially laminaria digitata (available from Maine Coast Sea Vegetables seaveg.com) have been shown to contain preformed T3 and T4 (the thyroid hormones). Dr. Ryan Drum has a couple of really good, very detailed articles on this on his website)

Many good points were raised in the discussion, and many great questions asked. I’d like to address a few:
    1- what’s the best test for thyroid. The medical standard is TSH, although the range used by most labs miss many cases. The TSH range should be between 1.5 and 3.2. Sometimes the TSH comes within the normal range even when thyroid symptoms are present. Taking the first morning temperature, often called basal body temperature, is a good way to determine if the thyroid is low.

2- Just adding iodine will not reverse hypothyroid unless the condition is specifically related to an iodine deficiency. Thyroid has many causes. I addressed these at Raw Spirit Fest in 2008. A copy of my presentation, along with several other e-books on greens is available for FREE at http://www.drritamarie.com/green

3- A lot of hypothyroidism is not primarily a thyroid problem, but is related to adrenal stress or adrenal insufficiency, cause by chronic stress. This type of thyroid problem responds well to stress management and diet and lifestyle change. I have a few articles on adrenal fatigue on my blog… http://www.drritamarie.com/blog

Thanks again Kevin for exploring these important issues.

Dr. Ritamarie Loscalzo

110. marcia says:

Hej kevin and annemarie!!

Love your show. do you have any knowledge about ascites????

Pah-leeze(that’s please) tell me and your other listeners about it. writing to you from just outside of stockholm.

thanking you in advance,
    marcia

111. Donna says:

I was taking Synthroid for hypothyroidism for many years until I went raw 3 1/2 years ago. My TSH continued to decrease and then stabilized. I then started supplementing my diet with kelp, a “thyroid” blend from Maine Sea Coast Veggies, and a thyroid blend form Premier Research Labs. I alternate each of the three and have since been able to completely get off the Synthroid. I don’t ever really monitor my intake of cruciferous veggies. In fact, I have all sorts growing in the garden right now – broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, brussels sprouts, etc. I’ve never felt better and my TSH is great. I think the diet just has so much to do with it. I also add dulse, kombu, kelp etc. to my salads and meals periodically.

112. Dan says:

I have done some extensive research on this topic and here is what I believe.

First and foremost foods CAN act as drugs in the body – This is just a scientific fact. With that being said there are current studies (post 1980’s) that show that high levels of compounds from cruciferous vegetables can act upon the body in both positive, healing ways, anti cancer, modulating hormones as well as negative ways.

3,3?-diindolylmethane or (DIM) and indole-3-carbinol (I3C) are derived from the breakdown and digestion of cruciferous vegetables. These isolated compounds are now used in dietary supplements along with powdered (highly concentrated) cruciferous vegetable extracts. One study concluded that broccoli sprouts are many, many times higher in these substances.

These compounds when consumed in their natural state, in the form of a vegetable, can have anti cancer effects and be very therapeutic.

However in one study, DIM supplementation actually induced hyperpolarization of mitochondrial inner membrane, decreased cellular ATP level, and significantly stimulated mitochondrial reactive oxygen species (ROS) production.

We have to eat foods as close to the way nature intended. Nature did not intend us to consume highly-concentrated, processed forms of vegetable extracts. Have you ever seen a cruciferous vegetable extract powder pop out of the ground? Of course not.

When we take these natural compounds out of their natural form and concentrate them, OR eat heavy amounts of these cruciferous vegetables every day, we can overload our system and yes they can have unwanted, drug-like effects on the body.

Here is my conclusion on this topic. It is okay to eat cruciferous vegetables but use common sense folks. Eat crucifers in moderation (1-2 times a week at most). Avoid unnatural, man-made cruciferous vegetable extracts and you should be fine.

113. Carol Lani Johnson says:

I just heard a talk on biodynamic gardening & they said that you will feel so satisfied you won’t want alot, & you will think it is the best you have ever had. Someone up above mentioned that all food isn’t grown the same, even organic…biodynamic is called beyond organic. It has homeopthic minerals fed to the soil & I can’t believe after decades of organic I missed this even tho I was interested in Rudolph Steiner (just found his work a bit overwhelming) If you can grow or get biodynamically grown food DO IT! : ) When he saw how vibrant the plants were, the organic greenhouse consultant from Isreal who came to the biodynamic greenhouse (Fields of Gold) in Mills River, NC wanted to move to NC & learn biodynamics from them!!

114. Faye says:

Very good comments. What’s your message for people who have hyperthyroidism? It would be great to get your comments on this also.

Faye

115. Jayne says:

hello Kevin,
    I have recently had an allergy and deficiency test. It found I was allergic to tomato( I have always loved and eaten lots ) and am deficient in iodine. I was told to avoid cruciferouse vegetable and to increase iodine rich foods and supplements such as kelp. since the test I have been searching for information and was pleased to find this entry – although i subscribe to your site I hadn’t seen this video before.
    a breif history – I went about 80% raw overnight 5 years ago, following a Tony Robbins event. I lost 56 pound in less than a year and felt terrific and 10 years younger. realistically I needed to lose about the same again and was confident. then after about 11 months the weight loss stopped and slowley i started to gain weight and at the time the only thing that I could think had changed was the change! I kept on reading and searching for the answer, whilst getting dispondent and although I continued with large amounts of vegetables and less fruit, I was starting to eat dairy and rubbish chocolate. and doing a bit of a scatter gun approach! Dr young says avoid most fruits and don’t eat mushrooms – David Wolf says eat fruit and mushrooms, Brian clements also says fruit is fine! aaaah. I was still taking wheatgrass daily, good oils daily and kelp more than reccomended because someone else said the RDA was low! anyway this continued until about 6 months ago when I came to florida(i’m from the UK) for a two week course, I was alone and took the opportunity to eat 100% raw for 2 weeks ans I brought all my supplements with me. when I got home I was totally dismayed to find that I hadn’t lost an ounce!
    over the following few weeks I started to run out of supplements and didn’t bother to replace them and even had some turkey over xmas. I am now heavier than I was before i started on the raw diet and have no energy and brain fog
    Anyway following the test and being told I was eating too many cruciferouse veg, it suddenly hit me that it wasn’t just the menopause that happend back then, at the same time I got a juicer and every day since then I have been juicing large amounts of Kale, spinach or broccoli with cucumber, ginger and apple/pear. So when I was told about the link between those vegetable and iodine not being absorbed it seemed to make sense – so I have temporarly stopped juicing and taking kelp and wheatgrass again. I was also told that having too much iodine can be bad too. do you have any advice on what reasonable quantities of kelp would be? or any other general advice?
    Thankyou
    Jayne (jkmlowrey@hotmail.com)

116. LynnCS says:

Hi Kevin. I came back to listen to your report on the thyroid again. So glad you keep these reports available. I am trying to learn as much as possible and now your report/video makes more sense to me. I do love my crusiferous vegis but didn’t want to cause myself more harm than good. After hearing a number of reports I decided to order an Iodine supplement, Iodine Plus 2. Fortunatley I asked my medical provider for copies of my tests from the last couple years. Now I am a lot clearer about the whole thing. I am not testing low now, but still have the symptoms. I am not going to take the iodine till I talk with another provider, because I understand that if it is Hashimoto’s, it can cause it to go eratic. Hope I am doing the right thing. I AM so glad to hear about the vegis, tho. My father had bladder cancer so it is important to do the right thing in regards to that issue. Thank you so very much. You make a big difference to how I approach this with some wisdom.

117. Kimberley R. says:

Hi Kevin!

Excellent debunking. I do have a question as my thyroid condition is one of not having the thyroid glands at all anymore. I was born without the right gland, and had to have the left one removed due to goiter about 2 years ago. All this talk is about how cruciferous veggies affect thyroid function, but I was also under the impression that it also affected how the body takes up the thyroid hormones (synthetic or otherwise). I’m hoping for a little clarity on if those beautiful cruciferous veggies have any affect at all on those of us without the thyroid glands at all! :0

Thanks!

118. Alison says:

Thank you so much. I got an email update from eat your veggies (Fat sick and nearly dead) saying I should stay away from cruciferous vegetables if I have a thyroid condition. I should juice Chard instead, like that made any sense.

I ignored it until I could get some answers and in the meantime I started to feel like crap (probably from the detoxing, not the 1-2 heads of kale I juice a day). But I worried until I found your video.

What a public service!

I can’t wait to explore the rest of your website.

Just Thank You So Much for allowing me to relax.

a

119. deenie says:

I just want to point people to some sites for more info on iodine. Take a look at http://www.breastcancerchoices.org and http://www.steppingstones.com
    It is a extremely good idea to take supplemental iodine in the form of Lugol’s Iodine (a liquid) and/or Iodoral tablets. Please get the free guide (a PDF file) for iodine supplementation at the steppingstones site. The guide’s author, Stephanie, is a guru on iodine and is an associate of Dr. David Brownstein, an iodine researcher and author of books on iodine and its essential role in optimal health. Women need to be taking iodine to prevent fibrocystic breast disease, endometriosis, and uterine cysts. Men need it too for preventing prostate cancer.

120. Carol says:

Thanks! It is great to have a reasonable discussion about scientific studies and diet. Amazing how one study in the 1980’s can affect an entire area of health. I have been wondering whether I should stop eating my kale (which I love so much) But with your wise information I am now at ease. – thanks again!

121. Lisa says:

IMPORTANT!!!If you have Auto Immune Thyroid Disease and haven’t been tested for gluten sensitivity, GET TESTED! The molecular structure of gliadin, the protein portion of gluten, closely resembles that of the thyroid gland. When gliadin breaches the protective barrier of the gut, and enters the bloodstream, the immune system tags it for destruction. These antibodies to gliadin also cause the body to attack thyroid tissue. This means if you have Auto Immune Thyroid Disease and you eat foods containing gluten, your immune system will attack your thyroid.

122. Kevin, thank you very much for your video on cruciferous vegetables. I only want to say that, although I appreciate what you have to say, you haven’t answered the question for me. What I saw in watching your video was you doing the same thing that many well-meaning health practitioners do. You referred to a research article and only read a piece of the conclusion. In reading research you can usually find studies that will take both sides of a question. So, saying one more recent study outweighs another doesn’t really answer the question. You have to read the entire article while keeping an eye out for any biases that might effect the validity of the research. Sometimes the bias totally invalidates the findings. Sometimes not. The point is, you don’t know if you don’t read the whole story. If you want to see an example of this sort of discussion I wrote a couple of posts about diet and brain health in which I examined research findings.
    Thank you for your work, Kevin. I’ll have to reserve my thinking on cruciferous vegetables until I read more.

123. kim says:

This info says what I’ve read the most – that cruciferous vefetables “block” thyroid medication. Is that true?

Thank you for all of your focused work.

Kim

124. LynnCS says:

Hi again, Kevin. My thyroid symptoms have got worse and worse so, although I test ok, I found an alternative doc who has ordered the armour thyroid for me. I have been on them for a week and seem to be a bit better. As far as the cruciferous vegis go, I try to go for the mixed baby greens such as those packaged by Organic Girl. They have several varieties and so I am assured that I am not getting an intense amount of one thing. I did take the iodine for a while and am no longer. I read some negative things about it and test ok. Thanks again for taking the time to evaluate the studies. It really helps a lot. Lynn

125. Raia says:

Great to get some reality about the goitragenicity debate. MAny thanks

126. EPJ says:

Thanks for the tips and candid discussion on the subject of thyroid health. All comments are useful, and the video of the blogger, of course.

It gets complicated, doesn’t it?

Another issue about greens is the oxalic acid present in some, but I avoid that by steaming them for a short time to leach it out, and sometimes mixe it with raw green/cruciferous or preserved in lime-vinegar in refrigeration for several days. Sautee everything or blend and make paste or soup seasoned with spices that also include salt. A mutli purpose stock, if you will. Or cook rice with it.

I am surprised at the comments on radioactive Iodine present in supplements, and if that is the case it will also be in the sea veggies taken out of the sea, granted that diluted per weight. The Iodine supplements will be easier to test for that than sea veggies. No?

The leaky gut issue mentioned is a major problem for gluten or other foods, so if that is healed first then therapies would be more consistently evaluated. I suggest to eat mild for a while then begin to test the foods for absorption vs pass through and consistency in the exam readings and therapy of choice. The question would be what is so irritating. In my case, lots of hot sauce and probably cheap restaurant food. I had to go for a week on plain white rice and water. Then threw away all the spices and started using one by one until back on my feet. I now hardly trust much of what is offered, have learned to grow and buy a few things I will eat.

Normally neither fruits nor dairy nor animal or seafood in reasonable amounts should cause problems, or iodized salt every day. On the contrary: plenty of energy and strength, lean muscle and low weight and sharp mind, with the normal reassurance of an occassional illness. So my question continues to be, where are all this problems coming from? The end result of all this is one have to become an afficionado farmer and stop doing everything else, because nothing can be trusted.

Thanks.

127. Tim says:

Just in case it isn’t mentioned already; this is something I’ve recently learned about iodine utilization. If a person is toxic with any halogens (fluorine, chlorine, bromine,) then that person’s thyroid will have a difficult time producing quality T3 or T4. Since iodine is in the same column of the elemental table, it has the same molecular affinity as the halogens, meaning they will compete for the same bonding sites. Further more, iodine is larger than fluorine, chlorine and bromine (these halogens getting progressively larger); therefore, iodine moves slower and gets bumped around, while the halogens, and especially fluorine, moves around with ease, beating iodine to the receptor site on thyroxine.

So, not only do 90%+ of people in the US need to be on a quality iodine supplement, (I use and prescribe supplements from Xymogen, Standard Process, and Nutri-West,) but nearly everyone should simultaneously detox halogens. If halogens are not detected and detoxed, then the thyroid cannot fully utilize any iodine supplemented. I use homeopathic tinctures, ionic detox foot baths, and chelation supplements in my office to rid patients’ bodies of halogens while supplementing iodine. It seems to be more effective than supplementation alone.

128. Lisa says:

Thank you Kevin! This information was truly helpful. I love my cruciferous veggies and was really confused when I started reading that they should be eliminated from my diet. I will be looking on your site to find any information you have on prevention of kidney stones as some of the foods to avoid are also foods that support healthy thyroid function.

Lisa

129. Max says:

Here’s a common sense argument:

Plants are alive.

Living things don’t want to be killed.

Cruciferous vegetables grow above ground.

There are lots of animals that will eat you above ground.

Hence cruciferous vegetables develop defenses to inhibit their absorption in animals.

130. Essie says:

Thank you . I have started juicing and started to see article on Cruciferous Vegetables and became alarm. Came across this video by accident and now I feel relieved. No, I do not have iodine deficiency. I will continue to juice and eat properly.

131. Moira says:

Wow, someone who understands ! Thank you From Canada !