Can You Get Enough Iron and Calcium from Vegetables – The Renegade Health Show Episode #366

Tuesday Aug 4 | BY |

Today, Dr. Karin Dina D.C. will take you through a nutritional profile of her favorite salad…

What’s awesome about this little tutorial is that she discusses whether or not you can get enough iron and calcium from this salad or if you need to get it from other sources.

Once you see this video, please pass it along to a friend or a family member (or all of them) to show them what’s possible!

Your question of the day: What’s in your favorite salad?

Be sure to sign up for the telecourse starting tonight!!! Here’s where you can do it… www.RenegadeHealth.com/raweducation

Here’s the info from the recipe…

Salad recipe
4 cups chopped bok choy – 4 medium leaves
4 cups chopped lettuce – 8 leaves
2 cups shredded cucumber
2 cup shredded carrots
4 cup chopped tomato – 2 large tomatoes
6 large leaves of basil

Dressing recipe
1 Tbsp. soaked sesame seeds
Juice of ½ of a lemon
½ Tsp. flax seeds
1 cup chopped zucchini
1/8 cup soaked almonds

Nutrient Info…

Nutrient – Salad – DRI (Daily Value)
Calcium – 583 m – 1,000 – 1,300 mg
Iron – 10 mg – 8 – 18 mg
Magnesium – 266 mg – 310 – 420 mg
Zinc – 3.8 mg – 8 – 11 mg
Vitamin C – 263 mg – 75 – 90 mg
Folate – 619 mcg – 400 mcg
Vitamin E – 8 mg – 15 mg

1. Jen says:

hmmm..for some reason i can’t watch this video…says it’s private…bummer…

2. Allison Hase says:

Can’t watch it either…

3. Sharon says:

Yup, video won’t play.

The Dinas know what they’re talking about though. I took one of their courses and highly recommend it. Glad to see Kevin is offering this to the masses.

Send us another email when the video is fixed please!

4. Sita says:

Am not able to watch the video. It says private.

5. Tatiana says:

well..I can’t watch it neither. It says it is a private video…

6. Elizabeth says:

Yeah I’ve been having problems for a few weeks.

7. Lauren says:

Can’t view video either!

8. Lori says:

Darn…. got super excited… can’t watch it…. I’m sure you’ll work out the bugs…

9. ktlove says:

I’ve been having problem ever since I updated my Explorer. I have discovered that if you click on the YouTube link in the right hand column under where it says “Let’s Be Friends”, I get access to all the shows, present and past. I hope this helps you folks who are having issues because I’d hate for you to miss the wonderful information that is in the shows!

10. Bryan says:

Thought I was losing my mind I can’t get it either.

11. Patty says:

Me toooooo. I know you will fix it.
    have a wonderful day!
    Patty

12. DH says:

Can’t view it either! 🙁

13. Bryan says:

You know I’ve been having problems w/ my browser or any browser… thought it might just be FireFox 3.5 but downloaded Opera and still hanging every now and then. Kevin maybe you need to start Renegade Computer Health Show..LOL!!

14. Teri says:

Just where is the “Let’s Be Friends” link?

15. Rene Oswald says:

My favorite salad ingredient is eggplant. I created a recipe with eggplant called saloup…you can view the video at http://www.reneoswald.com/videos.html (It’s the #2 video) The eggplant tastes like mushrooms in this recipe!

16. Sara says:

I can not see it either!

17. Cathy says:

Private video can’t watch

18. Bryan says:

Yeah, click on the You Tube thing under, Lets be Friends & you can watch it no problem. Kevin , if you and Ann Marie see this , make some sauerkraut, we want some hands on lessons.Love You & Thank You!!!

19. Mary says:

Me either. The recipe looks great though.

20. Darlene says:

Can’t watch the video. It’s marked to Private.

21. Claire says:

I do not see the you tube thing to click on Let’s be friends. It says it is private.

22. Andrea says:

Grr video isnt working :(:(:( very sad!
    i love your videos

23. Roberto says:

Can not see the video

24. Colleen says:

Ditto what Mary said. Can’t see it but the recipes look great.

25. Ronald says:

Whats with the video no one can watch unless he is a private friend????

26. I can’t watch it either,…where is the friends accept button? It doesn’t show on mine.

27. Jenny says:

Can’t view like all the others state!! I really want to see this video!!

28. sherry says:

Hi there , cannot view this one for some reason ,hmmmmmm!
    Maybe redo it .

29. Suebee says:

please fix soon, dont want to add as friend…just want my normal renegade health show!

30. pat kapsak says:

Works for show 365 but not # 366 !! go to the right side and click on you tube in the let’s be friends box. Why can’t I see the # 366 ? How do I get that one ? thanks

31. Corrinne says:

Can’t watch it either. Says it’s a private video…

32. Denise says:

Hi guys, video wont play for me either.
    Bummer…
    Love n Light
    Denise x x

33. Julie says:

I can’t get it to view…..I’M SO FRUSTRASTED!!! I was sooo waiting for this new infor……………….

34. Deborah Gordon says:

Can’t watch it either

35. Joseph Diamond says:

video is private

36. crow says:

Can’t see the video it says it private.

37. Lee says:

Ok I can’t watch either but I looked at the recipe and WOW man. It looks great but thats food for like three people or maybe for me but for three meals.Is this ment to be one meal??? So how do you get all the iron and calcium without having to eat SO much? I guess I should wait to actually watch the video before asking =)

38. Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

Sorry about the mess up!!!

It’s up now 🙂

39. jackie says:

Surprise…I actually could view the video without a problem, and it was great, as usual. Maybe it’s been fixed? I really liked having the nutritional breakdown of the salad, but it did look like a lot for one person to eat in one meal…it would take me a long time.

40. Sandi says:

I could view it but couln’t hear her. Just a few words now and then. Laughing came in loud and clear. ?? Last couple shows have been difficult to hear. Are you to far away from the mike? Look forward to your show every day. Thanks.. Sandi

41. I loved this video – love salads. I live on an avocado orchard, so avos are commonly in my salads. Also, spinach, tomatoes, olives, more.

I love mixing salads – like adding raw hummus and tabouli to a mixed green. Adds texture!

42. Irondoll says:

I had the same-sized salad today that Karin had, but I added a TJ chipotle salsa…it’s too hard to make stuff at an office w/ no sink. Anyway, I love Karin and Rick Dina! Bob and I used to see them often at MarinVegetarians and SFVS events over the years. They’re educational series is the most informative I’ve ever seen AND they are fine folks!

Pat

43. Pat says:

great video..

Tip on salad consumption for all having rough time with what appears as large amount…
    Blend part of it in or as the actual dressing…Typically thats how I make my dressings anyway..throw in the blender what u want in your salad…It’s amazing how it shrinks down at least 50% or more..throw a zuchinni/or carrot in for a lighter thickner if nuts are to heavy especially during our hot days..
    Yummy, personally I could totally down that salad twice in one sitting.!!!!
    Looks great!!Plus also youll surpise yourself making things that taste great!!

44. brian says:

I don’t often eat whole green vegetables. They are often either blended in smoothies or juiced. My salad may contain cooked or sprouted bean/pea, sprouted(at least 2 days) sesame seeds, cooked quinoa or amaranth, avocado, carrots, dulse, and tomatoes.

I recently discovered that you could sprout sesame. Up to 1/4 cup of sesame seeds per quart is probably sufficient. You should test a small amount of seeds before attempting a whole batch. Sometimes when you buy seeds and try sprouting them, they smell foul often because they are no longer viable.

When I replace dormant seeds(and even just soaked) with sprouts, it really helped curbed my nut/seed binging habit since they are more satisfying and I don’t feel as tired. I know it’s a bit of work when you sprout.

When I try sprouting high starch seeds, like quinoa, amaranth, and chick peas, they sprout but they also ferment. Has anyone successfully sprouted them before or should I eat use them after the first rince cycle.

45. Susan says:

Thanks for the great recipe and breakdown. Knowing the protein content would have been great too.

46. elaine says:

i cannot hear Karin properly..

47. Jennifer says:

I seem to make the same or similar salad regularly of Spinach, red & green cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, celery, zuchinni, radishes, sprouts, avocado (sometimes), and a vinegarette.

48. Brendon says:

I watched the video with no problem… I’m using safari so maybe it’s different?

Anyways, I’ll put down my favourite salad which I probably eat everyday.

About 500 grams of baby spinach; 1 diced red onion; 1 avocado chopped up; 2 oranges peeled and cut up; the juice of one lemon and a splash of extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil.

I just mix it all together and eat it for dinner every night, it’s simple and I like it.

49. Didiydi says:

I also use Safari and have never had any problems with watching or hearing the videos.
    It IS a big salad, I would eat half of that.

I once sliced thinly green apple, added wakame and sunflower sprouts and just a simple dressing, lemon and I think flax oil- it was so divine and made me so happy I had to take a picture:).

Usually I put romaine lettuce, avocado, red and orange peppers, some sprouts if I have, and lemon and olive oil. I usually add ground flax and hemp seeds.

Another one I like is I make a dressing of half avocado, 1 small tomato, 2T almond butter and lemon, blend it, and serve it over kombu (the hard green seaweed used for miso soup- needs to be soaked at least half hour). Tastes like walnuts, yummy.

50. Christine says:

I had two superposed videos. The two audio sounds were mixed up as well. Anyway, I’m sure the problem can be fixed.
    I like mixing green and red leaves + cherry tomatoes + 1 cucumber. My favorite is dandelion leaves. When avocados are in season, I’ll chop the half of an avocado and add it to the leaves. The other half is used for the dressing by adding 1 Tsp lemon juice, 2T balsamic vinegar, 1T Olive oil, a sprinkling of salt and pepper for taste and, voilà!
    I sometimes add a grated apple to the salad when I notice that my family isn’t eating enough fruits.

51. Christine says:

Oops, I forgot to thank Kevin, Annmarie and the guest for the great show and the recipe.
    Merci beaucoup!

52. Page says:

No problem with the video here – I’m using Google Chrome. I love salads. Mache, lots of other mixed greens, thinly slicked raw okra, thinly sliced raw banana peppers, tomatoes, a liberal grind of black pepper and a homemade, garlic vinagrette. Yum.

53. Susan Bessette says:

With the abundance of zucchini, squash, and cucumbers now we have started our dinner with a green smoothie as soup. Usually we have soup OR salad. But that was ONE BIG SALAD. My husband says I make too much when I serve half that amount for the two of us. So our nutritional intake would be 1/4 (each) of what Karin posted. Maybe I will try the nut dressing for a smoother taste.
    K. & AM, keep up the good work. I love to start my day with your enthusiastic cheerful greeting.
    Blessings,

54. Louise says:

Great salad, am also a lover of salads in the summer, noticed their was no mention of protein content…. almonds and sunflower seeds are protein, just wondered where the nutrient breakdown is.

thanks for the information

Louise

55. sarah says:

Hi Keven & Anne Marie,

Great episode. I’m doing my masters thesis on raw food athletes and this info only confirms everything I’ve been learning. As a raw foodist athlete I can say that I never worry about my nutrition intake (except B12 and vit. D – it’s gloomy here).

What’s in my salad…
    For the first time EVER I have a beautiful garden, so I put organic greens of all types (cups and cups full), cabbage, fresh cilantro, basil, and parsley, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower and an Udo’s Oil dressing with himalayan salt, dulse flakes, and cinnamon.

Sarah xoox

56. Kali Lilla says:

I just gotta say, I LOVE how you guys deliver such quality information without pushing products. You just give, give, give and it makes me want to support you even more.
    Thanks again for writing out the recipe. It’s those extra steps that really mean alot! xo

57. Gudni says:

Where is the vitamin B?

58. Shannsu says:

Nice looking salad! And with all the fresh produce from my vegetable garden, I can make this tonight!

Thanks for sharing with us.

59. desri says:

It stops where you ask what about men who are menstruating!! Please can you make it work, it is so interesting?

Thanks x

60. desri says:

OK working 🙂 and great as always.

In my favourite salad today is purselane, mixed lettuce, beetroot plus its leaves, sweet corn, tomatoes, spring onions, red and yellow peppers smothered in a sauce made from avocados, yellow and black cherry tomatoes, apple cider vinegar and mustard plus a tiny drop or agave nectar. So yummy and nearly all from the garden, I am abundant!

Thanks!

61. Heather Hemphill says:

I have a big salad for lunch everyday.

Spinach or lettuce
    cucumbers
    sweet red peppers
    mushrooms
    Broccoli sprouts or sprouts of some sort
    Dried cranberries
    Salba or chia seed
    Hemp hearts
    Bee Pollen
    pine nuts
    1/2 avacado
    pea pods (those sweet thick skinned kind)
    and a variety of dressings according to the desire of the day.
    and I do like a few bits of fresh pamasin cheese.

62. Lois Kubota says:

My salad changes all the time, based on what I have in the frig. I love the dressing idea. I’m going to try that one right away. Nice to know we don’t necessarilly need all those silly suuplements we are used to taking.

63. Tandi says:

This was a great video. My salads vary widely, I do not use oils in any dressings. I always thicken dressings with peeled zucchini.

Yesterday was an italian dressing with romaine, cucumber, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, onion and kelp noodles.

I am curious to know if it is always necessary to meet the RDA, especially for very small people. I could never eat a salad as large as the one in the video. I am wondering if at 4’10” tall if my nutrient needs would be lower.

I have just resorted to the idea that if I am healthy and have energy that I’m getting what I need because I don’t think the RDA is a one size fits all.

64. Cathy says:

My “scoop” salads are delicious!

Field greens, red onions, tomatoes, avocado slices, scoop of homemade cilantro humus or lemon artichoke pesto, drizzle of lemon juice and olive oil, sprinkle of Himalayan sea salt and chopped walnuts.

Everything is organic of course!!!

Looks pretty on the plate and I always give thanks!

65. Lori says:

Yeah! Awesome c=video and great teleseminar last night! I forgot to weed my small garden for a week and discovered PURSLANE growing rampant! It is such a great wild weed we are leaving it and using it in salads and smoothies!

66. Chris & Sara says:

We love our salads! There are a few ingredients that are not in our best interest, but we dont do this very often, so its a nice treat when we do.

Spinach
    purple onion
    apple
    cucumber
    carrot
    avocado
    sunflower seeds
    pinenuts
    garlic (chopped and fried in Ghee) I know horrible, hard to let go of!! They are like crunchy croutons
    Usually will have a seared ahi on our salads. We still eat fish for now.

I used to HAVE to have my cheese on this, but have finally let that go!

Since blending green smoothies, we dont do as much salads. Its much easier to blend and drink, and that way I dont put the fried garlic and fish in it!! Hee hee!

67. Nama Mama says:

Leafy greens with avocado or seeds a handful or 2 wakame seaweed and a light drizzle of honey with 2-3 garlic. Yum

68. donna harris says:

sounds like what i wanted to know

69. John says:

My favorite salad – I have it nearly every day:
    2 Kale leaves chopped up (with some sea salt massaged into it to soften)
    1 Carrot diced
    1/2 Avocado diced
    1 Roma Tomato (or other similar size) diced
    1 handful (or so) other green (lettuce, cabbage, etc.)
    ~1/8 cup Onion (your favorite kind) diced
    Lemon Juice and Olive Oil for the dressing (about 2 tablespoons of each)
    Top with diced pecans
    I also sometimes add other veggies that I have – cucumbers, celery, whatever is handy

I love this one!

70. Roxie says:

HI Kevin and Annmarie – I absolutely love The RHS and I’ve been sending the link out to friends!! You two are inspiring. Great work!

I’m commenting to make a request:

Karin Dina has amazing hair. Can you PLEASE do a video where you ask Karin Dina to talk about eating well for long, shiny, and thick hair? I think this is a common concern for many women, especially in terms of iron, b12, and vitamin/mineral intake on a vegan/raw diet.

I would greatly appreciate it, and I know many others would – please do a video on that topic with Karin Dina while you can talk to her. Thanks!

71. micki says:

My goal each day is to have a glass of fresh veggie juice, a green smoothie, and a salad, before eating other foods.
    My daily salad: Lettuces fresh from our garden, tomato, cucumber, grated carrot, a handful of pine nuts or walnuts, avocado, and dressed simply with olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper. Nothing like a well tossed salad to make my day!

72. zyxomma says:

My salads vary so much (depending on what’s in season), I just don’t have one favorite. Today’s salad (all organic, mostly local) was: romaine, purslane, Mexican gherkins (tiny cucumbers that look like cherry tomato-sized watermelons), watermelon radish, grape tomatoes, ripe pepper, chopped calamata olives, a couple of chopped fresh figs, and a little avocado, simply dressed with great olive oil and Himalayan salt, and topped with a crumble of aged Macadamia cheese. It was so good, I’ll probably have the same thing tomorrow. For my main meal, I’ve got leftover rawvioli with marinara & pesto, which many of my countrymen would consider a salad since it’s all raw vegetables, salad fruits, and soaked/rinsed nuts. I often have sea vegetable (seaweed) salads, and recommend them to all pre-menopausal women for their mineral content, as eating enough seaweed prevents cramps. Health and peace, and thanks to Kevin, Annmarie, Rick, and Karen!

73. Nadia says:

My favorite ‘enhancers’are any fresh herbs, sea salt, and 1 TBSP green powder, such as Greens Mix from Premier Research Labs.

74. Amy says:

Would also like to know re protein content of this salad.

75. giselle cioraru says:

I have safari & no problem watching this video.
    My favorite salad is
    Romain lettuce
    cherry tomatoes
    red pepper
    black greek olives
    pine nuts
    balmsmatic viniger

76. Angela says:

This video was awesome! Its great to have a breakdown like that. Now, that is a very big bowl of salad. I eat about 1/2 of that daily. Does anyone else think that is a huge amount? My favorite salad is 4 lettuce, handful of spinach, 1 small cucumber, 1 med carrot, alfalfa sprouts, spring onion, half avocado, and some tomato. The dressing will be whatever i’ve made. Thanks for info!

77. Makorev says:

Good info; something I’ve wondered about. You confirmed my suspicions that good green salads tend to have our nutritional needs covered.

I can get creative but usually eat one or two salads per day approximately the size you have there. I exercise quite a bit so seem to need it. My usual salad contains collards, mustard greens (when I have them), pine nuts or chopped pecans, diced apples, red onions, tomatoes, yellow bell peppers, chicory, arrugula, carrots and maybe zucchini. I also include whatever sprouts may be at hand. For dressing I stay simple: olive oil and apple cider or balsamic vinegar with a spritz of lemon juice, usually.

78. Mary says:

For all those having trouble watching the vid, switch to Safari on a Mac. No probs. Info not new, but the salad was HUGE and delicious looking.

79. Jan says:

A salad of that size equals how many serving?

80. Virginia says:

Thank you Kevin – that was awesome! – as always. Loved your talk on raw cruciferous vegetables also. It’s important for everyone to know that synthetic iodine is toxic – it is well known that this causes thyroid toxicosis. The best source of naturally occurring iodine is sea vegetables. As a supplement, get a blend of sea vegetables e.g. kelp, dulse, sea lettuce, bladderwrack, etc., in veggie capsules. Always looking forward to the next show.
    Love to you and Annemarie (THANKS for all the raw food recipes)

81. Robin says:

Great topic and video! Also interested in finding out the protein and calcium content of various greens/lettuces. Switched over from spinach to kale in my green smoothies since somewhere on the web it said that kale was better (for calcium.)

In my salad:
    – usually spring mix, sometimes romaine
    – tomato
    – cucumber
    – red bell pepper
    – brocco sprouts
    – red cabbage
    – carrot
    – sometimes mung bean sprouts and radishes
    – sometimes raw sunflower seeds

Dressing: either flax oil with apple cider vinegar (basic)

or I’ll blend the above with 1/2 cucumber, 1 tsp mustard powder, 1 tsp celtic salt, and 1 whole avocado for dressing that I’ll use up over several days.

82. Jill says:

No problem watching here, I have Firefox.
    My favorite salad is either a Caesar salad (with the Caesar dressing of course!) or one with lettuce, celery carrots with cottage cheese on top in place of dressing!