Is Eating at Night Bad – The Renegade Health Show Episode #360

Monday Jul 27 | BY |

At the Raw Health Expo, I ran into Paul Nison…

Paul has just finished a new book called “The Daylight Diet”. I think you can tell from the title what it’s all about, but I wanted to know straight from him… “Is it ok to eat at night?”

We tend to do a little of that since we’re on the road.

Here’s what Paul has to say…

Your question of the day: Why eat at night?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

If you want to check out more from Paul, please visit www.PaulNison.com

1. Cherie says:

I eat at night because in the winter time I would not get home from work in time to eat and because if I go to bed on an empty stomach I can not sleep. I can have a small lite snack and I can sleep.

2. Nick says:

I eat @ nite just for social occasions But most of the time I do not eat @ nite the same holds true for sleep I feel better when I go to sleep when the sun goes down!

3. Kelly says:

I eat at night and feel great! Loads of energy, great digestion and I have to fight to keep weight on. I sleep so deeply with food in my stomach. (raw and healthy of course =) Personally, I think these ‘diet books’ are unfair to try to say that one way is right for everyone. We are all so very different with different systems/lifestyles, etc. that everyone needs their own individual ‘diet book’!!!

4. lisa villary says:

But when you really start to eat to live, instead of live to eat. You can prepare you day so that you eat heavier meals during the day and light meals, like a smoothie after work. We are all programmed to have a large dinner but we can break that cycle. Carry food to work, carry the magic bullet with you even. There are tons of things that can be done, that add to make gradual changes to a healthy lifestyle.

5. Ronald says:

I grew up in a house were 6 PM was dinner and no eating after that time. Also soda was only allowed on the week end and to this day I may drink a glass once a year if that. I’m working on my way to raw but I was like Kevin and eat any thing and way to much at any one meal but was able to burn it off. So eat early and all the fruit and veggies you want, my biggest challenge is getting enough water everyday.

6. Christina Dodson says:

There is NO reason to eat at night UNLESS…
    YOU WORK NIGHT SHIFT!

Otherwise, I agree. Quit by 8:00 pm.
    Great show!

7. Dirk says:

I eat at night b/c i’m hungry. If i’m not hungry then I don’t eat. It perplexes me that health people ponder whether fruit is good or fruit is bad, figs are good or figs are bad?, etc… what’s the deal? why would something from the earth be bad? can someone answer this for me please?

8. Angela says:

Ugh!! The reason why? When I’m alone–I suppose it’s an emotional–kinda weird sorta thing. A habit I’m trying to break!!

9. Brenon says:

I took care of a man for 4 years who ate all raw like me. He would finish supper about 9:00 pm and immediately go to bed so he could sleep well. Then he would have breakfast in bed at 4:30 am. His meals were small and this is what worked for him. It sure wouldn’t work for me! We’re all different, eh?

10. Heather says:

I disagree with this completely. I’ve suffered from insomnia for over ten years, and I find I sleep BEST and most SOUNDLY when I go to bed with a satisfied and unempty stomach. In fact, I CAN’T sleep when I go to bed hungry. Eating only during the day does not agree with my body.

11. Krina says:

I work from 2am-10am. Ihave no choice but to eat all night long. Just like everone that eats all day long. I feel great If I did not eat during the night I would suffer.

Thanks

12. Sylvia says:

I usually don’t eat after 7 pm. Sometimes though, if I haven’t eaten enough during the day & go to bed, I, too, wake up hungry & can’t go back to sleep. What’s the answer?
    Thanks.

13. Kim says:

Kelly: “Personally, I think these ‘diet books’ are unfair to try to say that one way is right for everyone. We are all so very different with different systems/lifestyles, etc. that everyone needs their own individual ‘diet book’!!!”

Kim: I agree with you Kelly. Everyone has a different constitution and we all need to figure out what works best for our individual bodies. I tend to take pieces from all of the great information out there and use that which works best for me personally. Dogma is stifling. We need to take what works for each of us and leave the rest for the others that can use it.

14. Nadia says:

I get hunger pains! Or esle I can’t sleep. (This doesn’t happen often though.)

15. Myriam says:

I agree that loading your stomach at night is not good, i need enought time between meal and bedtime to digest. But in winter when the sun goes down at 4pm, the daylight thing just doesn’t work.

16. Corrinne says:

I have my smoothie or salad between 4:30 and 5 and if I feel hungry I will have a cup of hot chocolate to tide me over ’til bedtime at 9 pm

17. Myriam says:

oh, i forgot to mention: i liked the question regarding how to integrate raw food for young children and would like to see more on that subject. Choosing a diet for a young but making sure he still fit in society is a challenge. I don’t want my 6 year old to eat junk food but can’t ask him to bring is meal when going to a friends house! Thanks

18. Muriel says:

I almost always eat at around 9:30 p.m., such as slice of toast with nutbutter. It really helps me sleep well, as long as i keep it a light snack and not a whole meal.
    Different strokes for different folks.
    It is such a blessing to be able to eat great food and never have to go to bed hungry.
    About 70% of the food i eat is raw.

19. Bette says:

I THINK PAUL NEEDS TO WORK ON HIS SPEECH SO HE CAN TALK A LITTLE FASTER.

20. Kristin says:

I agree with the folks who feel its an individual choice…that perhaps our own bodies can clue us in about what works for us and what doesn’t. I have a hard time with dogmatic principles…tho I do think a lot of the guidelines are good. I think I’ve spent too much of my life doing what other people said I should, esp. in the eating department.

21. Nicole says:

I know what Paul is saying is true, for me. I have no problem being raw all day, but as soon as 6 or 7 pm hit, I want to eat everything and anything. I binge when I’m upset sometimes, but I wouldn’t have that desire during the day. It’s like I become a different person at night, and maybe that’s because my body doesn’t tell me what I need as well then…or I just don’t have much control at night. If I went to bed at 7pm I don’t think I’d have any weight issues:-) But that’s not very realistic, so I have to find some way to deal with those nightly food battles. I hope Paul’s book goes on Amazon soon!

22. Steve says:

I think Paul and his ideas are great. really looking forward to receiving his new book.

Attended Paul’s lecture in Dallas,TX and trying hard to follow his suggestions.

Only reason to eat at night is work (night shift, glad I don’t have to do that any more) or habit(bad)! I sleep so much better when I follow this practice.

Want to really feel great give up TV, going on 3 weeks and can see the difference, especial in good utilization of my time.

23. Peg says:

I do not sleep well with food in my stomach, but my husband and son both like to go to bed after eating lots of food. However, my son (22) is gradually enjoying more raw food-all I have to do is keep eating right.

🙂

24. Anthony Michael says:

I started following Paul’s advice about not eating at night, and I have to admit I feel a lot better in the morning when I wake up, not as much bad breath and acid in my mouth, as I did when I ate late at night. I think its a lot more than just day versus night eating, its also about eating a good full nutritious meal as opposed to snacking throughout the day. Before I was a grazer, eating, munching, whatever was in sight, anytime of the day, but it just doesn’t make for a well balanced digestive system… so there are other considerations, not just whether you eat at night or not. Its your whole lifestyle in eating that should be looked at.

25. raw bloke says:

With a lot of people, this would likely be due to someone on an all-raw diet not eating enough during the day, and then come nighttime, there is a calorie deficit to pay.

Trying to eat the amounts that Paul Nison and Fred Bisci recommend would lead to severe undereating in the long term it appears, unless I am mistaken in my understanding of what they recommend.

Once there are people following their recommendations for a minimum of 2 years (which may be difficult, as it sounds like these recommendations change over the years), and are running marathons or bicycling in races, I cannot honestly believe that the amounts of food they recommend are sufficient, much less healthy.

Not trying to be harsh, but could it be that you need to more calories overall, and that semi-fasting during the day will lead to the body’s drive to eat more at night to compensate?

Also, to eat sufficient calories on a raw diet, without the ability to eat starch raw, we have to rely on either fruit or fat as the main fuel.

We know too much fat is not healthy, from mainstream science. See the work of Dr. McDougall, Dr. Ornish, Dr. T. Colin Campbell, and more. A high fat diet, cooked or raw, is not healthy, and they have the science to back it up.

So if one wants to not just thrive, but even survive, on a raw diet, they need to eat enough… fruit.

Something Paul Nison doesn’t recommend. Again, until athletes following their plan for at least 2 years are shown to exist, their eating recommendations seem to have no credibility.

Nothing personal against these fellows, and I think Paul Nison and Fred Bisci mean very well and are charitable and personable men.

We just need to make sure we make the right choices for the right reasons.

26. Suebee says:

IM SOOO glad you did this show– I saw Paul Nison’s video about daylight eating and it made such sense to me. But just like initially with going raw, I was like I could NEVER give up eating at night–
    I realized that for me eating at night was purely about entertainment and relaxation. I kept to eating whole, raw organic foods, but I noticed that I just felt too clogged physically and blocked emotionally.
    In fact, the more I eat raw, the less I need. But the want, the desire to eat for pleasure is still there.
    So I made a committment to not eat after 5:30pm whenever it was possible– I work three nights a week– so I have to be done eating by about 5pm and cant eat during work, and I dont get home unitl about 9 or 10pm– and its been fine going without food. I just have a nice cup of tea.
    I found that it was just shifting my perception about it.When you think about it, our bodies are not naturally made to eat later in the day. I know my body has time overnight to do what sleep is for– to heal and slowly detox my body. When it has to use energy to digest more food, it doesnt leave as much room to rebuild my body. I just feel more centered now, like my eating is in alignment with the natural rhythm of my body’s purpose.
    That isnt dogma, it is a theory just like any in the raw food/health “movement.” If you are having a strong reaction against it, perhaps it means its time to give it a try! Believe me, I used to starve all day and eat all night– if I can do it, anyone can! Good luck to all!
    Thanks Kev– and yeah, I missed AnnMarie this episode!

27. Jasmine says:

I get hypoglycemia very easily so I have to eat often 6 to 8 times a day and it is a very small snack like meal so eating late at night sometimes is a requirement of my body condition, but I am 110 lbs so I dont worry about it making me fat.

28. Linda Miller says:

My husband and I are retired so it is easy for us to have our main meal around noon. And we do eat some cooked and that’s when I prefer to eat the cooked food. When I ate it even for an early dinner, I just had a “heavy” feeling. I definately do not sleep well if I eat late -after 8:00p.m. If I do eat later, I almost always eat a fruit that will digest quickly. But if I want to snack at night it’s usually because I did not eat enough earlier.

29. Bette says:

I understand the idea of this because if our body is working on digesting food, it is not working on healing our us.

When I heard that it made so much sense to me. I usually dont eat at night. Want all the healing I can get.

I sure do wish he talked faster and could have said more…hahahahaha

30. Teri says:

Eating after dark is almost unavoidable in the winter in the Northern Hemisphere. People get home from school and work so late that there would be no way to have a family meal before dark for a third of the year.

I don’t know if I agree with Paul about them feeding their daughter cooked foods and letting her make her own choices. The way he spoke, he is going to give her cooked foods with quite a bit of raw included. Well, many people think they are doing just that by eating lots of salads, dipping veggies and raw fruits. If he really believes that many health problems are rooted in life-long eating habits, why not provide her the very best while she is growing – UNTIL she is of an age and maturity to make her own choices. We make lots of choices for our kids, especially when it comes to matters of health and safety so why should we shy at this one? If he only believes that eating raw is a personal choice, a preference, a desireable option, then he isn’t showing much serious commitment to it, and that message will get through to her.

A parent is responsible to give their children the BEST care they know. Parents should never be raving fanatics about this though – in other words, don’t make it a religion. If the parents don’t have a huge authoritarian attitude about it, the children won’t be so inclined to rebel. Of course, what they do after they are at school or out in the big wide world, they do.

They are inevitably going to make their own choices anyway, based on the peer pressure around them. Expect that they’ll most likely eat what their friends eat when they’re out, unless they have developed such strong habits and tastes for raw and are very convinced that raw is the best way for them and they have a very strong constitution. Does Paul mean that he is going to let her make her own choices when she is very young as to whether to eat all manner of junk just because her friends do? I’m sure he doesn’t mean that when it comes to meat, dairy, junk foods, etc. Then why not at least make her “home diet” raw?

A very strong argument can be made for educating their tastes. We were very strict vegans when our kids were growing up. They didn’t know any other way of eating. Most of our friends were the same so there was little conflict there. Later on we didn’t get all bent out of shape when they tried a Big Mac with chips and soda etc., but they never really cared for them and didn’t get into the habit. They still love “Mom’s recipes” the best because that is the way their tastes were trained. Now if we had known enough in those days to train them to eat raw, their adventures might have been just into “cooked vegan”, instead of all over the map into meat and dairy and junk foods.

31. Cathy says:

This is so funny, I just sat down at the computer with some grapes and raisins to check my e-mail (it is 10:40 at night) and clicked on this show. Uh-Oh I better put the raisins and grapes away =)

32. Irene says:

Yes, I did hear about not to eat after 7pm. Yes, I do agree digestion is vital for health. I am a big fan of Dr. Bob Marshall who is far advance in wholistic nutrition than many other. Check out his website at http://www.healthline.cc

33. Mary says:

Kevin good show Paul needs to cut back on cacao or whatever is causing him to talk like this. Think I get it: don’t eat after dark. Thank you thank you very much.

34. raw bloke says:

I’ve left a comment above, but it has not appeared yet – any idea why?

35. Sandi says:

I like what Harvey Diamond recommends. 4 a.m. – noon (the elimination cycle — nothing but fruit); noon – 8:00 p.m. (the appropriation cycle — eating); 8:00 p.m. – 4:00 a.m. (the assimilation cycle — no food). (from “Fit for Life, Not Fat for Life”) Each body has its own rhythm, taking into account second and third shift jobs but, according to Diamond, there are three 8-hour cycles.

36. Deborah Gordon says:

WOOHOO PAUL NISON. I met Paul at the Raw Food Expo in New York City. After speaking with him for 10 minutes I knew that the Daylight Diet would be the answer to my poor eating habits and night time binges. I immediately started the diet that day and have been doing it for 2 months now. I have a green juice when I wake up, at 9 am I have my breakfast at 12 I have another green juice and at 3 pm I eat my second meal. THAT’S IT!!! I never felt better in my life and I know I will never eat any other way again. PAUL, YOU’RE THE BEST!!!!! Can’t wait to see you in Bonobos.

37. lisette says:

eating at night?
    yes, I do it because I feel lonely.
    I keep my meal time late so I dont feel empty.
    I keep my daytime for working and I like to bike before the sun goes down. so there you have it.
    maybe a special friend will manifest share a meal and a bike ride, I can dream cant I?

38. AnneDK says:

I work shifts so I eat at all hours – including 3 am …

39. Ineke says:

I have to say that I agree with Paul. For me it is better not to eat too much food in the evening but there is also something called temptation and pleasure. I am already so disciplined in other areas in my life so there are these summer evenings where I see Pikes Peak through a wine glass in my gazebo and I’m sorry…Paul is not going to take that away from me. In the wintertime there are these occasions when it is wonderful to enjoy good food and a glass of wine at candlelight. Like I said: I keep it light. To me food is not only about enzymes but also about pleasure and “savoir vivre”

bon Appetit

40. susan says:

Hi Paul and Kevin!
    I love your enthusiasm! It is a fact that our digestive systems are slower at night. It is not dogma. We have our own individual reasons for eating at night. Maybe we did not eat enough for what our body needed during the day so we eat before bed so we can sleep without hunger pains. That does not mean that is the best choice. Sometime we just do what we can. Like if we are working a night job. Still I believe that if we could all have day jobs and bring our meals with us so that we can eat before the sun goes down our bodies will have an easier time digesting our food, rather than if we had to eat at night. I eat at night when I feel sad or lonely or some kind of down feeling. I am now creating activities that fill me up spirtually and emotionally before going to bed like reading a book that inspires me.
    I don’t think that Paul or any of the other teachers are trying to convince us to eat in a dogmatic way. I believe that they just want to get us the best information to help and inspire us along the way.
    Of course we make our own choices, and that is that! As Kevin says, lets all support one another in each step we take tward health and happiness!
    Love to you all!
    Susan

41. catherine says:

I only eat at night when I work 11 pm to 7 am

42. Sharon says:

I like and agree in general with what Paul is saying. The trick is that I can not sleep with a hungry tummy. I there fore have a light snack close to bed to avoid useless hours laying in bed awake. And I have tried for weeks at a time to retrain my body. Different strokes for different folks…

43. Christina says:

purely out of emotional reasons!! and that is the sad truth. I was in Sikkim a year ago and in a funny little hotel, there was a sign at the front desk ‘desk’ with a few life rules – the last one read: you never regret having eaten less. they obviously did not have a restaurant!!!

44. Christina says:

PS: if you wnat to get behind your emotional reason for over-eating,check out: http://www.emofree.com

45. Fish Man says:

I think this diet is overlooking a big factor, which is the starvation response. Lets say my last meal of the day is @ 6 pm. Because of my field of work I usually go to bed around 1 am. In order to get a full 8 hours of sleep, I have to wake up about 9 am. this means that my body would go a full 15 hours or so without nourishment! Over time, this will trigger your body to hold on to fat because it thinks it wont get enough food.

And…what about those of us who train late at say around 8-9 pm. Am I not supposed to eat after a serious training session simply because the sun is down???

Furthermore, bodybuilders stay get super lean all the time and eat at various times of day and night.

No to give this a little bit of credit, I do think it would be ideal to not eat heavy meals late at night and it may not be ideal to eat certain foods late at night, like carbs which can cause an increase in metabolism and therefore affect the quality of sleep. However, everyone is different and will not respond the same way another person would to the same circumstances. Just my 2 cents…

46. Kym says:

Rather than when the sun goes down, I usually try to stop eating four or five hours before going to bed. In the morning, I start with a jumbo fruit + greens smoothie followed by cereal with nuts, dates, etc and then a bit later a large heated meal with veges, starchy carbs and protein. I’ll probably eat the leftovers from meal three as dinner and snack on nuts and so on later in the day. Keeps the hyperglycemia at bay and keeps me blasting all day with energy when I need it.

47. Cheryl Holt says:

Hi Kevin & Annmarie!

Great Show!
    Well after listening to Paul I can’t think of a good reason to eat at night. I will have to try what he has recommended and find out how I feel.

In the past I have ate when I was hungry.

It makes perfect sense to eat heavier during the day time when your awake and then lay off of things in the early evening.

Love, Light, & Peace,
    Cheryl Holt

48. Maria >^.,.^ says:

I’m sincerely curious how Europeans (specifically Spanish, French, Italians, Portuguese, Greek, etc., who seem particularly healthy) are so slender and healthy and eat a heavy dinner with wine, breads, etc. at 9pm at night. I’d love to hear some opinions and studies on THAT miracle!

Love,

Maria
    >^.,.^<

49. Misty says:

I eat a light snack before i go to bed or sometimes i cant sleep. especially if i have a hard workout.

50. Christine says:

I saw Paul talk recently and started not eating @ night. it was hard but i did allow myself a cup of herbal tea. on the 4th night i broke that to see what would happen and i felt hungover the next morning. i think its completely valid. although its totally simple in the summer. i dont know what it will be like when we hardly have any daylight at all…

QUESTION for Paul – do you drink tea or water before bed?

51. Christine says:

ps – one thing i CANT seem to do is abstain from internet usage before bed.

52. Michael T. says:

I eat in the early evening, which is after dark part of the year, because I work hard during the day doing farm work, and it does not work to eat much when I am hot and sweating a lot. So I get home from work, needing water or perhaps fruit to help rehydrate myself (and I’ve been drinking water all day as well). Once I’ve rehydrated myself, and my body has cooled down, then I have dinner, usually right after sunset. And I’m really hungry after working hard, and I want my complex carbs – often rice and cooked veggies. I probably burn 3,000 calories a day.

So, it is not always feasible to eat only during the day. But I agree with Paul’s main idea, and I usually stay awake for at least four hours after my last meal, so it is completely digested before I go to sleep.

And I feel best when my evening meal is a light one.

And I don’t mind Paul talking fast, because that’s the way I talk sometimes, especially when I am excited about something.

Michael T.

53. Marijana says:

I sometimes manage not to eat after 5 pm but sometimes I fail. Havin g in mind that 2 years ago I would eat big fat dinner with bread and some butter on it and stuff like that, I’m pretty proud with me that I can eat till some hours and not to late. Now, if I have urge to eat something, I try to choose ripe fruit or something light like melon smoothie. And all of that came just from watching Paul on YouTube. what will become of me after I read his book?! 😉

Kevin, I have a question though: how to feed teenagers? We are agreed as family to go as much as raw as we can (I’m 100% and the rest of my family tries to catch up). I would like to be sure that I feed my kids properly and I would like to hear more information on that issue.
    Thank you in advance.

54. Gudni says:

In chinese medicine there is a clock. It describes which organs are most active at certain times. The digestive organs are most active in the morning and until noon. In ayurvedic medicine they talk about eating your biggest meal around noon, since then your digestion is at its peak. At least that is my information and as well you can feel it.

55. Sarah says:

Whilst I can understand the benefits of not eating after dark, this simply wouldn’t be possible for me in the winter months.
    I feel at my best eating little and often and although I could follow this diet during the summer, it wouldn’t be practical all year round.
    I recognise that I do often eat for pleasure at night and have been trying to make sure I only eat when I’m actually hungry.
    I can’t get to sleep if I’m hungry so need to get the balance of not being too full but feeling satisfied before bed.

56. Page says:

Our friends think we’re “weird” because we eat early. My husband and I do not sleep well when we go to bed with full stomachs. But that’s just us. Others may not have a problem.
    Kevin, I’m about half-way through reading High Raw. It’s very enlightening. Thank you.

57. I try to not eat anything after the sun goes down, even though the rest of my family HAS to have their movie time snacks. I am the designated “not-eater.” 🙂

I was thinking about this concept earlier this week. It makes sense to only eat when it’s daylight. Think about the length of days and the seasons. In the summer, we have longer days, meaning we have more time when we can be eating. We also are more active in the summer, meaning we will burn more calories. And it’s the opposite in the winter–shorter days, less caloric expenditure. Makes sense. If we are hungry at night time, it’s probably because we haven’t consumed enough during the day. I think night time energy should be reserved for the healing and restoration of the body and not wasted on digestion. It just makes sense, even if it’s not always the easiest thing to do.

58. Mary says:

I would think families would have the toughest time with this plan. If the parents have a schedule like mine: waking up at 5am and having breakfast alone, lunch alone and returning home at 7pm…the only time to encourage good eating habits for the children and lead by example is dinner time. I also like having dinner with family, very much, and would not want to give up that traditional bonding time.

59. Christine says:

Thanks Kevin for the free download but I did not succeed to download it. I’ll try again.
    We try to eat before 7 pm. I’m in charge of meals and try hard to feed my family as early as possible. The reason of eating early is that one sleeps better. I personally eat few raw nuts(macadamie, Brazil,etc) or fruit if I’m hungry at night.
    I couldn’t get much of what Paul was saying. The audio was bad. I’ll try again at another time.
    Thanks again, your shows are very inspiring and educational! God bless you and Annemarie!

60. Genevieve says:

Great show! Well, here in Canada right now the days are long and it is easy to eat while it is still light out, but in the winter it gets dark at 4:30! My husband doesn’t get home from work until 7:00 and that is when we have our biggest meal. Still, we go to bed around 10:30 or 11:00 and that seems to work out okay. Since watching your shows, I’ve stopped eating after supper too and do seem to be sleeping better. If only I could convince my husband to do the same….

Bless you guys.

61. Quinny says:

My husband eats a big plate of food (mostly cooked) at 9pm, and then he snacks at least once before bed. He sleeps well and have no digestive problems what so ever.

I eat a small plate and mostly raw food with him together, after that I don’t eat anything. I usually sleep around mid night. I tried to get him to eat earlier (around 6 pm), but he doesn’t like it. So, I have no choice but eat at night and sleep late. I don’t like it and I have problem with my digestion. But what can you do when the other half resists change…

62. Tmae says:

Paul has it right. I never had trouble sleeping, but when I stopped eating at night, I found I was more rested in the morning. Also, I thought it was normal to have a sort of stomachache in the morning because I had it my whole life, but not eating the third meal fixed that problem. If I ever eat at night, I have bad dreams or I wake and have trouble going back to sleep or just have a lot of waking during the night. There is no reason to eat at night. It takes about a week to adjust. Children do well on this as well.

63. Ginny Fisher says:

I’m looking forward to your book, Paul. Hope to find it in the library. Now that I’m retired the $$$ are much tighter. If you have a dog-earred galley lying around I’d love to review the book for my blog.

I have some digestive problems, but also many emotional issues around eating. Having grown up very poor I’m completely unable to fall asleep on an empty stomach. But now that I’m retired I try to eat the biggest meals earlier in the day.

But then we occasionally socialize with friends over an evening meal. Not eating isn’t an option! One thing that works for me is to ask for a carry-out box to be brought when my food comes. I put most of the food away before I start eating. Then with a cup of green tea and a plethora good conversation, and thankfulness for the abundance, I’m able to eat just a small amount which works okay with my digestion. We also eat out early–about 6PM. And a bonus, with the huge meals that are usually served here in America, I get anywhere from 2-4 more meals from that carried-out food.

The bulk of my diet is good raw foods, mostly salads, but I do like to eat some cooked foods. This is not because of health, this is pure satisfaction. I know from past experience that if I get my meals too purely raw, I feel great, but start bingeing. So this is a balance that seems to work for me.

So, I agree with what Paul said, but I think given the whole of me, that I prefer a little individualization. Keep up the good work. I love all the videos.

64. PE says:

SueBee, Bette and Susan nailed it! And Paul’s speed is a welcome change from the slooow transmission of simple things via video. He can’t get near the speed of reading (max 800wpm without speedreading), but a refreshing change from infomercial-laden gurus. You know who you are.
    Eating late is one of the very few shortcomings of French culture.

65. Tara Burner says:

I don’t eat at night
    usually try not to eat past 6
    occasionally it may be 6:30-7
    but that’s it
    after that there’s just no point
    can wait til the next at that point!

66. Chris & Sara says:

(Sara) I personally try not to eat too close to bed time. If I do, I will NOT sleep well and have a belly ache all night. However, I do not go to bed hungry either.

So hearing Pauls theory was interesting to me, because I had almost innately known this already. But I feel pretty in touch with my body compared to most people.

That doesnt mean I wont have anything after dark. I do not treat it as a religion. If I do, it is more of a snack or a few bites of something, not my main meal.

I feel that if people (and myself) eat enough nutrients all day, you will be less inclined to have cravings later at night.

I have also read of the Chinese clock and when all your organs work best and find this very interesting. But if someone works all day and eats before bed and sleeps great and has no health issues, then more power to them! To each his own. Feel your body.

(Chris) I feel that Pauls concept really makes sense. I dont like the word DIET. It should just be more of a lifestyle change (diet is temporary) People go on them, and off of them.

A lot of people have been eating late at night for most of their lives,(emotionally or just out of habit) You have never seen a heroin addict quit heroin in one day, and the standard american diet is a very strong drug!

Take the steps that work for you as long as its toward your goal you cant lose.

I know Paul is very passionate about what he does, I just want to say it does sound a little like Sales Pitch. Paul- slow down and tell us from your heart.

LOVE & ALOHA~

67. Marla king says:

I respectfully disagree with Kelly who said we all have different systems. I do not eat at night because the human body’s law dictate’s it. I am tired at night and so is my digestive system, which is the same in all humans. The body runs on cycles and patterns we don’t have to think about, but eating is where we can co-operate with those built-in laws. One may reason away nature’s law, but there will be also natural consequences. I love this health show because it gives options for people… to ask themselves if they are addicted to bad habits, and/or truly teachable. Many thanks Paul, Kevin, and AnnMarie!

68. CINDY says:

IF I EAT AT NIGHT I CAN NOT SLEEP EVEN IF I HAVE A GLASS OF WATER WITH A LEMON IN IT. I LIVE IN NORTHRIDGE CA., WHERE LEMONS GROW NATURALLY. ON A LEMON TREE THERE ARE TWO SHAPE THE OVAL AND THE ROUND LEMONS. THE OVAL SHAPE ONE GET AS BIG AS 4 1/2 INCHES IN HEIGHT BY 3 INCHES IN WIDTH. THE ROUND LEMONS GET AS BIG AS 3 1/2 INCHES IN DIAMETER AND THE LEMONS WEIGHT A POUND AND OVER.

69. maddie thunderclap says:

i cannot agree. i am a severe insomniac for 12years due to various illnesses. i have tried scores of alternative treetments ,herbs etc. nothing but nothing worked. i was hallucinating 5 sold days without sleeping not even a nap.i read that if you take a little protein and carb together it aids sleep and it did and does.]oh by the way i am 95% raw vegan. also it seems a little odd maybe its just me but to say a child isnt vegan because it drinks human breast milk makes breastfeedding sound unatural. of course shes vegan shes taking vegan food delivered in a liquid form. comes over a bit weird to me it does

70. maddie thunderclap says:

oh i forgot MYRIAM if your child needed a special diet you wouldnt think twice about sending his meal with him.if you are jewish and had a sleepover at a gentile home they would think nothing of you telling them he couldnt have bacon and with his eggs andcould you send him a packed meal. your child has a specific diet and of course we all eat differently.this is accepted and children learn tolerence.i would not feel otherwise if a mother sent a s.a.d packed lunch to my home for her child. tolerence myriam tolerance and those who are weird about it are perhaps not quite suitable association. a scottish granny

71. Rhonda D says:

I believe everyone needs to listen to there own bodies. Make adjustments according to how you feel.

It’s great that Kevin and Annmarie give us such great information.

Keep up the good shows
    Rhonda D

72. Sharon says:

My daughter could NEVER sleep unless she ate before bed. The problem is her food wouldn’t digest and it would ferment overnight and she’d get a “hangover”. Headache, stomachache and almost unconscious when it was time for school. Not a good situation at all.

Eventually we kicked the underlying digestive issues problems and now she can eat at night and still wake up in the morning. She will literally be up all night if she doesn’t eat. She’s not a raw foodist unfortunately.

I think fruit is a good solution for those who have to eat at night since it pretty much self-digests but then there’s the energy problem.

73. Liliane says:

I sometimes eat while watching a movie at night. Try to keep it light, some fruit or sometimes some organic popcorn with a bit of coconut oil. Am working on eliminating this night time snacking.

I heard Paul Nisson touch on this topic a bit, as I saw & heard him speak at the Raw Health Expo right there in Santa Rosa.

Was great meeting you and Annemarie, Kevin. Keep up the awesome work you are doing. Much needed and appreciated.

74. Yasmine says:

Love your show ?

How late is toooooooooooooo late ?

Thanks

75. Kimberly says:

Eating when you’re hungry is a good gauge for me….and if it’s night, keep it light…and those with blood sugar issues will feel better having something light and nutrient dense than they would leaving their stomach empty. No two people are the same

76. Sherry says:

I have found that if I eat too early like around 4:00 PM that I get hungry.
    I can’t sleep if I’m starved. If eat like around 6:00 to 7:30 PM I’m okay and I can sleep. I just can’t sleep on an empty stomach.

77. TRISTAN says:

What about when the sun doesn’t set until almost 9:00pm? Drinking breast milk from your own human mother IS vegan. Using “man” for humanity is a bit retro.

78. Daniela says:

AWESOME SHOW!!! I love hearing what Paul has to say.

It’s funny, reading the comments above, you clearly see that the reason people eat at night it’s basically about habits. WE JUST DON”T WANT TO GIVE UP OUR HABITS.

Sorry, but if you live in the United States YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT STARVATION IS, you don’t know HUNGER.

Eating at night is a pure habit. The fact that you may think that you feel better with a full stomach before going to bed is b/c your body needs to “put you down” so it can can deal with what you just ate, instead of focusing on healing, and that doesn’t mean a quality sleep.

I understand everyone is different, and definetely you should LISTEN to your body more than anyone else, and for that it’s worth to try it for at least a week, and see how you feel.

…and to answer the question: After we heard Paul speak, we don’t do dinner at our house, we eat something light at around 5:30pm, and go to bed at 9pm. I have 3 boys (and I’m pregnant again) and they are getting used to it, in the beggining it was hard to break the habit, but we are reaping the benefits, and that’s what motivates us to keep the kitchen closed at night.

Shalom!
    Daniela

79. weavermomo says:

Honestly Paul does not look healthy at all, what happened to his hair?

80. weavermomo says:

Honestly Paul doesn’t look healthy, what happened to his hair?

81. Nigel (from the UK) says:

I have my tea at 7, sleep at midnight but if I eat earlier I’m more prone to picking during the evening, especially if having a high carb meal. So I try to eat later but lighter. If I leave it to late, say 9, I go beyond being bothered about food all together. I’m experimenting to try to see what works best. I’ve found that I dont enjoy picking in the evening but someties feel strangely compelled.

I have a client who lives a month in France and a month in England. She reports that she does not see overweight people in rural france. Her explanation is that they have a lengthy main meal from 12 – 2pm, and in the evening, at the very most a soup and small bread roll. It makes sence to give your body energy when it needs it most and more importantly, allow it to use the energy up.

On the other hand, I’ve learned that the resting metabolic rate (RMR or BMR) is calculated as the amount of energy your body needs to run its self at rest, with a typical 10 – 30% increase for the hours that exercise is taken. It would make sense to eat all of the time and only 10 – 30% more during the day. If the majority of calories needed are to run our basic body functions rather than exercise, why would eating late make any differnce?

Perhaps convenience, comfort, and movement as an aid to digestion plays a large part…

I’m still working ME out…

82. Sue Rushford says:

Ha – Mary, if you’ve heard him speak recently, you would know that Paul is most definitely not on too much cacao (he’s kind of an anti-cacao spokesperson) – he’s just from Brooklyn – which cut a 10 minute show down to 5!

I have to say, even when I work out hard at night, which I try to do as often as possible – ran 16.5 miles last night on the treadmill – when I abstain from eating at night, I definitely feel so much better in the morning – and less hungry than I do when I’m going to sleep, which is ironic – and my stomach starts to flatten out. I def think he’s onto something there and realize it’s not really a new concept – looking forward to my book as well.

Yes, of course work shifts have to factor in, but we just need to be happy with the best we can do.

– Sue

83. Lana says:

I am late coming into this but I find it interesting reading everyone’s comments. Seems a lot of people are not happy with the idea of not eating late, yet we have heard all our lives that we should not go to bed with a full stomach. I agree with those who say we should not be dogmatic about anything. And I definitely agree that everyone needs to find what works for them. it is easy for someone in the South to say it when the sun is up, as they have very little difference in their daylight hours. Yet, what about those in the North where in the summer the days are extremely long and in the winter the days are extremely short?
    Is this not where our reasonableness has t take over? Obviously we have to figure out when is too late by our inner clock.
    Also, I have found that the only time I am hungry before bed or late in the evening is when I have not fed my body the proper nutrients during the day. Give the body what it needs early in the day and it wont crave stuff later.
    Keep using your power of reason and you will all do well 🙂

84. Lehi says:

I thought it was interesting that this was the subject for today because we’re fasting during daylight hours (for religious purposes) and we’re all “dying” to eat come sundown. I don’t care what……I’m going to enjoy eating tonight!! 🙂

85. stacey ledovsky says:

i cannot eat early in the day. just the thoiught of food makes my stomach turn. i start to think of food around 11am… have been this way all my life.

86. alice says:

Yes it is!!!
    Ayurveda recommends not eating after the sun goes down. It is best to eat at the biggest meal around noon when the sun is at it’s peak, this is when your digestion will also be at it’s peak.
    I know someone who never ate after the sun went down and she lost a bunch of weight just doing that!

87. “Fit for Life”, book back in the 90’s explained why eating after 8pm was terrible for our digestions. They were right and I am sure “Daylight Diet” will explain the latest findings on that. I know when I decide to eat anyway (especially chocolate) I feel like total crap the next day. Almost a drugged out feeling. Not good.

88. Nick says:

I agree with the other Nick who posted above. Still I want to add that our bodies work awful hard to digest food, and because this work carries on internally, beneath the surface of awareness, it often goes on unacknowledged or ignored. Many of us will even persist to eat at night as if we don’t want to give our bodies the needed rest it deserves, needs as was VERY long accustomed to before the advent of artificial light. Back then we tended to go up and down with the sun, heliotropic like sunflowers, as a for instance. Artificial lighting was introduced so industry could run 24/7, pushing people into shift work, breaking up families who used to eat together. We know eating together is a major force maintaining social cohesion, generally, as well as the glue of families. I believe this is so because the preparing of meals & the taking of food into our bodies is our main cosmic connection.

But i digress. It should be obvious that we’re best off working & eating by day, rather than having our digestion get in the way of deep rest & sleep. Darkness converts seratonin to melatonin. Read “Sleep Thieves” by Stanley Coren to learn how sleep deprived our society is hoodwinked into staying & how beneficial longer sleep episodes than is commonly believed for optimum health as well as in specific areas of problem solving, motor skills & even creativity. Then look to Earnest Rossi, continuator of the life work of Milton Erickson, that reveals the deeper the rest we get the higher we can fly.

I know going raw gives you more tolerance for late nights & such, but this doesn’t nullify what we could potentially accomplish putting all these more sensible ways of living together. Oh yeah, eat at night cuz you never know what tomorrow might not bring 😉

89. jane says:

there is no reason to eat after the sun goes down, this evening if you feel you are hungry go to bed, yes even if it is early and go to sleep or just lie there and sulk when morning comes you will eat and after 4 days of doing this you will feel so much better that your head if not your stomach will understand
    oh and the figs here now are ripe raw and really delish