Raw Protein Smoothie Recipe for Strength and Power – The Renegade Health Show Episode #346

Tuesday Jul 7, 2009 | BY |

We’re back in CA…

Mom was sad to see us go, but she posted on the blog yesterday thanking everyone for your suggestions… I guess you guys found her on Facebook! (Yep, she’s there!)

Anyway, today we’re going to load it up with a raw smoothie recipe for strength. The recipe has hemp protein and tastes like strawberry ice cream.

Your question of the day: How many smoothies do you drink a week?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

You can check out the new book here… www.UltimateSmoothieRecipes.com

Green Hemp Smoothie

2 tbsp hemp protein powder or hemp seeds
1 handful greens
1-2 dates
1 cup berries
1 cup coconut water
1 tsp vanilla powder

Blend and enjoy

Enjoy!

1. Henrik says:

It really varies. Sometimes I can go for weeks without a smoothie, and sometimes I drink 15 smoothies in a week. But it’s usually somewhere between 5 and 10.

2. Chris says:

I drink 48-64oz of smoothie everyday!

3. Maria Shere says:

I drink Seven to fourteen smoothies a week. One each morning for breakfast and sometimes I make a smoothie soup for lunch.

4. Cathy says:

I have one every morning, and sometimes one in the afternoon. My favorite one is….
    Fresh Pineapple
    1 Mango
    Fresh Cherries
    Chia Fiber Powder
    Stevia
    Lots of Cilantro
    Lots of Spinach or Kale or Chard or a Mixture
    Yummy!!

5. one litre of green smoothies for breakfast every morning no fruit added.all kinds of different edible green leaves lemon juice celery and cucumber.
    love peace and joy.
    fatima

6. Mae says:

I have 2 smoothies everyday

7. David says:

Hmmm, 7-14 smoothies per week. Simple recipes and rotated greens.

Kev,
    Q for you: I was watching a vid of Brian Clement on youtube (Exotic Superfoods/Queens NY) – and he was down on smoothies since (paraphrasing) the blending air-ates the ingredients and results in high oxidation. Thoughts on this? On the food chain, a smoothie is probably better than 99% of everything else, but wondering if you have come across this opinion before.

8. Tara Burner says:

hmm anywhere between 10-15 usually
    and you two are awesome
    amazing energy and FUN!

9. Lynn says:

5-7

10. Jackie Ryan says:

I almost always have one for breakfast and often there is enough for snacks during the day if I keep it refrigerated.
    Look forward to trying some of yours!
    jackie

11. Mary says:

Several a week of whatever’s in the fridge. No rules.
    BTW, there is a book with the same title as the website you’re using, in case you didn’t know. It’s called The Ultimate Smoothie Book by Jeanine Pollak and Cherie Calborn. You might want to get their permission, if you plan to keep using their book title.

12. Melissa says:

I usually drink 5 or 6 a week.

13. Tara Burner says:

Ok, I had to go ck out the inappropriate yoga guy on youtube and naturally the first one I watched was hysterical “someone forgot to eat their goji berries” was in this one

14. Rosa says:

32oz. everyday for breakfast

15. Sue says:

I have 2 quarts of smoothie every morning for
    breakfast, ever since I saw Rawkathon last October. Greens & fruits are different every day. Thanks Kevin and Ann Marie for everything you do. Love your show.

16. sue says:

I am new to the green smoothie thing but interested. Made one the other day that was great, energizing, but it digested quickly and I found I ate the same amount of whole (raw) food the rest of the day…. so question is, how on earth do u not gain weight and not go hungry adding smoothies to ur day?

Anyone?

Thanks lovely renegade health community!

17. Rickey says:

what blender is being used?
    thanx.

18. Ricki, Chandler, AZ says:

I drink two smoothies a day, so that would be l4 a week, mathematically-speaking!!! LOL! I LOVE MY SMOOTHIES!!! I usually use a LOT more greens in mine than I saw AnneMarie throw in there today. Anyway, sometimes, I like to make my smoothies thicker, like ice-cream. Instead of adding ice cubes, I add….frozen, organic broccoli! It works great and makes the mixture thick and like ice cream! Yummmm!!! Smoothies ROCK!
    Ricki
    Chandler, AZ

19. Tyra McMahon says:

I have a green smoothie every morning. The oil’s Paul Nison uses is from Young Living. I’ve been buying them for years now. They are so pure and therpaputic. I put the lemon oil in my water jug and it tastes amazing.

20. Lauren says:

lol I love you guys; you’re hilarious 🙂 Anyways, I drink usually a smoothie or 2…or 3…per day. Can’t imagine life without a blender!!

21. I would say 5-6 per week and maybe more during the summer/ warmer months…

22. Lauren says:

Sue…the smoothies should take care of your hunger, especially is you add greens and protein to them (such as the hemp protein in this episode.)

And if the smoothie replaces a meal (my breakfast is usually a smoothie, and it takes me a while to drink it,) you’re not consuming any extra calories, so you shouldn’t gain weight.

23. Tyra McMahon says:

therapeutic is how I meant to spell it.

24. Nita says:

Any suggestions if you’re trying to GAIN weight? (Seriously, not meant obnoxiously.)
    I can’t gain wait for the life of me, and it’s getting to the life of me. Yes, smoothies 7 plus a week.

25. Peg says:

Inappropriate yoga guy–LOL!! LOL!!

Oh yes–I like green smoothies at night as my dinner. I sleep better if I don’t eat heavily at night. Sometimes I will also have a green juice–that almost seems like a medicine.

26. Jen says:

At least one smoothie a day, but it’s double sized…
    Thanks for all your hard work and informative videos.
    Peace and health!

27. brian says:

I drink the kale calcium boost smoothie from Thrive Diet 7 times a week.

28. John Thornley says:

I drink 14 to 21 smoothies during the seven day week. I also learned a long time ago that vegetable and fruit enzymes clash. That’s something to mull over.

29. Diane says:

5-7 per week. I make mine with much more greens and fruit. I follow Victoria Boutenko’s; 60% fruit and 40% veggie rule. My recipe makes about 40 ounces of thick green goodness. I may not finish all of it in one day. I keep in the fridge at work, shake well and drink. I daughter calls them my “swamp drink” because they are so green (sometimes with a tinge of purple, if I’m using blueberries)I will be buying your book. Can’t wait!!!

30. Carol B says:

Hi guys,
    I try to have one every morning for breakfast, right now I have SO MUCH pursalane in my garden that I have to pick it and take it to the next potluck we have.
    I saw from the other posting that you were in Novato today, wish I knew, I would come find you and GIVE you some for the road!!!
    Best always,
    Carol

31. Corrinne says:

I have a smoothie every morning and on and off for dinner too.

32. DebB says:

I drink 1.5 – 2 quarts every day.

Debbie *Ü*

33. Shabana says:

I drink 2 quarts every day….can’t get enough of green smoothies.

Can’t wait to order the new book (Ultimate Raw Smoothies)!!!

34. Nadia says:

5 smoothies per week

35. jackie says:

I’m currently drinking a seed smoothie every morning, and sometimes another smoothie later in the day.
    You two crack me up…you must be one of the cutest couples in the world!

36. Irina says:

5-7 a week

37. Irondoll says:

About a 1/2 gallon a week, because I gone nuts with making them taste weird. I started simple in the beginning…banana, stevia, spinach. Then I went nuts trying to make them more alkaline. It’s hard to do, and I’m tired of buying a lbs of spinach each week (inexpensively at Costco). I think filling the Vita-Mix half way with water, bunches of spinach, some stevia, tumeric, a fat T. of goji powder, and several apples started to change flavor after a day or so in the fridge. Can anyone help me improve this recipe? Also, I’m looking to reduce inflammation of my retina. Last year, my vision in one eye took a turn for the worse with macular pucker (epiretinal membrane). Anyone have a cure? Write me! Life is awful semi-blind! ….Irondoll@aol.com

38. At least 15 to 20 a week. Sometimes I go for days on end with only smoothies. I love having to wash only one dish! Haha!

I am addicted to spirulina smoothies! Everyone who knows me knows that, and people who don’t know me freak out when they see the color! 🙂

39. Hey there Sweet Ones, you guys look more and mo re relaxed the longer you are on the road! Anyway, we generally have one smoothie a day, our fav is the simple green, banana and spinach with all the added goodies, hemp, maca, lecithin and sometimes mesquite…sending you hugs…Shivie and Cemaaj

40. Jennie says:

Somewhere between 7 and 20.

41. Bill says:

I have at least 1 smoothie each day, sometimes 2 or even 3 on occasions. So anywhere between 7 and 14 per week! My wife is the same. Our Vitamix certainly gets a work out between us all!

I love them and I do loads of smoothies that are brick coloured…lol

Those ones are usually a combination of greens, berries and Sun Warrior Protein Powder.

Smoothies are so easy and delicious, I even take them in a thermos when I am going to be out all day. (meat eating normal people just think I am drinking lots of coffee…lol) 🙂

42. rose says:

i have 3 or more smoothies a day,
    so that adds up to quite alot per week,
    20+…

43. rose says:

plus you guys make tiny smoothies!

44. Sigrun says:

I have 6 – 7 a week !
    My favorite is: Spinach and mango .. But often it is what is available here in Iceland 🙂

45. Marijana says:

I drink smoothies every day – green and fruit once.

46. Jen Bing says:

I have between 7 – 12 a week. Always one for breakfast and sometimes an additional one in the evening.

Kevin, I’m interested to know your thoughts on David’s question (No. 7 in the above thread).

Cheers
    J

47. Erin says:

Hi there, thank you for the smoothie recipe! Smoothies are definately a staple of my diet and I’m looking forward to purchasing your new compilation.

One off topic question if you happen to read this comment – where did Anne Marie get the lovely shirt she’s wearing in the vid? It’s totally adorable and looks REALLY comfortable.

Thanks, bless you both!

48. Tyrah says:

5-7 per week mostly kale and rotate fruits, looking forward to the new book! Thanks:)

49. Stanley says:

1 and 1/2 per day – every type of green leafy there is- 50/50 fruit/green leaves

50. carolina says:

Lately we’ve been having smoothies for a quick breakfast, so at least five per week. Looking forward to getting your book for more green smoothie ideas.

51. Linda says:

I have 1 smoothie every morning for breakfast.

52. Karen Jackson says:

Sometimes I wish I could hug you guys – you are especially adorable today (and every day)! I only have two smoothies a week, but with your inspiration and my discipline, I will increase this slowly.

53. Chris & Sara says:

You guys are silly !! Love the laughs!

We do a green smoothie for breakky every morning. Many times we have one between regular meals during the day. They are the easiest thing to do and sooo good for us.

Just last week or so, we did smoothies for 2 days with my mom in Cali. I have to tell ya, we felt great. I want to try for 3+ days soon.

In fact we made her a little video of our green smoothie recipe, we will post it on our page for you Inner Circle Members (Mr & Mrs Smith Page)

We use LOTS of leafy greens and the soaked chia seeds (in coconut water) and get tons of energy and great digestion. MMmmmm.

The good news is you really cant go wrong, the fruit with any of the greens mixes soo well and takes any bitter away for a sweet, smooth , smoothie.

Happy Smoothie Making~
    Aloha~

54. Elaine says:

Great show Kevin and Annmarie….. as usual!
    I drink 1-2 smoothies a day. I was juicing but after reading Victoria Boutenko’s book “12 Steps To Raw Foods,” I’ve been preparing smoothies. I’m having my second one as I write this.
    I, too, have that question about combining fruits and veggies. According to food combining guidelines, fruits and veggies are never combined if you want proper digestion. Has to do with the enzymes that are produced by our bodies as a particular food enters our thoughts and our mouth. What are your thoughts on this topic? Does this apply only to cooked food for which our bodies must produce the enzyme as opposed to raw food already having enzymes in it? I’ll be interested in hearing your answers.
    Your choices of places to settle down are awesome. Good luck in choosing!
    Thanks for all you do.

55. Elaine says:

oh, one more thing…… that Peppermint oil you referenced… I learned it was from Young Living. Those oils are safe for internal use (most of them) and I’ve been known to add orange oil, lemon oil, cinnamon bark oil, tangerine oil to my smoothies. Rosemary and oregano oil are amazing in raw marinara sauce and I put Thieves Blend, lemon or tangerine(for the d-limonene content)oil, and peppermint oil in my glass water jug for drinking every day.
    I hope to always have YL therapeutic grade oils available to me and my loved ones forever!! You can contact me for more information at oilelaine333@gmail.com
    Gratefully!!

56. cindy says:

7 Smoothies a week!! I gotta try to the Goji berries in the smoothie though. Didn’t look GREAT, but more greens fixes everything. 🙂

57. LuAnn Agustin says:

I try to drink 2 quarts of green smoothie eveyday. 1 qt. in morning and another at dinner. I’ve released 85lbs. this way and got my life back.

By the way, dark leafy greens DO combine properly with fruit, it’s other veggies that cause improper food combination.

I mix about 4 cups of leafy greens to my fruit, then add whatever superfoods I have on hand to boost up the energy lifegiving delisciousness!

58. J says:

I had to back off of smoothies for a while cause no matter what kind of protein I used (soy, hemp, pea) my smoothie gives me bad gas for the day and I cant even stand to be around myself. So I started just making veggie juice with 1 piece of fruit to taste and added horsetail and a small amount of wheatgrass for cleansing.

59. Koa says:

Noni smoothie every morning! Add a liquid (coconut water), a juicy fruit, or the water from soaked fruits. Blend softly and stir vigorously through a strainer. To that sauce add anything. Mint leaves, cacao, bee pollen, goji, algae, maca, dried nettles, the soaked fruit, coconut oil, enzymes, anything…
    Here in Hawaii get plenty noni.

60. 3-4 smoothies per day

61. Tirra says:

Inappropriate Yoga Guy 🙂 Oh my God – I so know a guy like this! Ha, ha!!!!! It was like this video was made just for him – thanks for the great chuckle!!!!!!!!(I liked your Monster truck announcing too!!!)

Smoothies – always try to get in at least one a day in the morning & then depending on the day might have another one in the afternoon or for dinner 🙂

Have a great night & thanks again for the laugh!!!

62. I was just thinking about Smoothie Recipe for Strength and you’ve really helped out. Thanks!

63. gary says:

zero smoothies.

so smoothies give you strength and power?

how so?

64. stacey ledovsky says:

large green sooothie every day for breakfast!

65. John says:

I drink one every morning (usually just fruit) and then I often have another one (different type) later in the day so somewhere between 7 and 14 per week, I probably average about 10. Since I got my blend-tec blender it is just so fast and easy to make smoothies.