Natural Pest Control for Your Garden with John Kohler – The Renegade Health Show Episode #341

Tuesday Jun 30 | BY |

More on urban gardening today…

John Kohler shared so much with us yesterday, we wanted to share more! 🙂

Today, he talks about how to use natural pest control, how to protect against slugs, and how to use wine barrels to grow your garden in case you don’t have any space in your yard!

Take a look! (We’re stuck in the airport in Minnesota, anyone want to come visit? LOL!)

Your question of the day: What do you bring with you when you travel?

Please check out the Raw Health Expo in Santa Rosa, CA on July 25-26th.

If you want to sign up use this coupon code for the first 50 people and save $10: “renegadehealth”

Click here… www.renegadehealth.com/rawexpo

Listen to John talk about his expo here…

MP3 File

Also, check out his videos here… www.growingyourgreens.com

1. Shannsu says:

I’m sooo lucky to have a hubby who does the “manual pest control” for me! I’m with this guy on not wanting to eat any -icide, no matter how “natural” it is…

Nice post! Original as always, Kevin!

2. Diane says:

How do you control ants (keep them out of your house) naturally?

3. DELANEY says:

I haven’t traveled since being a raw-fooder. I’m avoiding it, actually. I’d probably freak out. I could make it work but I think I’m just avoiding the social part. Here at home, I can partake in whatever and then go home and get back into my routine. I give you two a lot of credit for taking it on the road.

4. John Thornley says:

I am going to ask John if he has a room I can rent.

5. Nadia says:

A savory trail mix of hemp seeds, spirulina/chorella tablets, sea salt, bite size seaweed pieces, curry, cayenne. . .whatever sound good to me.

6. Kevin, great video. The gardening title caught my eye as well as the wine barrel thing.

Going to set that up when we move to Phoenix this fall.

Right now I’m growing strawberries in an old washing machine off my driveway, parsley, some peas and a few herbs.

Good stuff.

Thanks

7. martha says:

I travelled in may to my son’s wedding 8 hours away. I made 4 different types of green smoothies and had been saving plastic jugs. good thing I labeled them, because they all kinda looked the same. I was so happy to discover that the two different motels we stayed in had refrigerators. At the breakfast bar I brought my big jug down, everyone I knew was curious, everybody wanted a taste. I was so glad that I had brought my smoothies and was able to share and introduce my friends and family to green smoothies and raw foods. I was worried that maybe the smoothies might not make it but, I was so glad I brought them because all the food at the wedding and everywhere was cooked. My smoothies kept me from being hungry and I was able to limit the amount of other foods in my diet.

8. susie says:

Young Living’s Essential oil of Peppermint! It’s the best for traveling!!

9. John Kohler says:

I travel with food from my garden and my shower filter!

10. Dede says:

Wow – he was growing Dino Kale – I saw it in the background – I’m sooooo envious!!!

Great show – – hugs, Dede

11. Annabelle says:

Since we are not sure about airport restrictions, we generally don’t bring food with us on the airplane. When I called to ask the airlines about food, the rep said food was not allowed. She went on to say that medications were not allowed either. She may have been giving mis-information. Even if it is not true, it was enough to discourage me from taking food. I heard fasting is an option.

12. Gustoso says:

Beautiful productive garden. Thanks for sharing.

13. Susan Bessette says:

Great shows, Kevin. After yesterday I went to John’s website and watched all his videos which kept me company during my lunch hour. I am trying to break my radio and TV news addiction, and John kept me entertained, informed, and uncontaminated.
    Next month we are flying from VA to CA to attend our son’s wedding. I’m a bit afraid since each time I leave my house I suffer GI distress. For the plane I will take your awesome onion bread, plus a sweet zucchini bread, almonds, and dehydrated strawberries. Very filling to keep me from making unwise choices from hunger. But I had better be very disciplined to survive 8 days away from the safety of my own kitchen. SIGH. I used to love restaurants. Now they make me sick.

14. Erin says:

You can bring food on the plane, just not any that is liquid or gel (or which might be percieved as liquid, like coconut oil or butter, by some overly zealous TSA employee). Produce is fine. Last time I took the plane I took practically half a fridge full of produce so it wouldn’t just rot while I was gone. If travelling across agricultural borders, there could be concern about pests coming along for the ride. But store bought produce should not be a problem. How about taking a whole avocado split down the middle and some seasoning to make a quick guacamole and sliced veges for dipping?
    There is no usual thing I take when traveling besides ID and money. It depends on the destination and duration.

15. the sheeks says:

It is very important to bring minerals back to your soil, but it is equally important to know who you are getting it from and there practices. Some companies are decimating parts of the earth so that they can sell us soil amendments. the goal should be to get your soil healthy, and then maintain it on the compost you make. never throw away organic matter.

16. This guy is awesome! What a cool episode. Thanks!

17. Mary says:

Did he say get a flashlight and go earwing hunting at night? Seems to work for him.

Also, Dr. Bonner’s Magic Soap is true magic. Dilute it way down and use in a spray bottle, too, to wash the dirt off your veggies in the sink. Rinse well. Eat up! Or….do what Mr. Kohler does, wipe your food on your sleeve and eat up. Easy for him to do.

Mr. Kohler is a wonderful man and a great teacher.

18. kris says:

Hi! When I travel I try to be well prepared! Car travel is always easier than air!! On planes I bring a green juice for the journey from hotel room to airport and before the last spot I can bring liquid, then I usually make some raw dehydrated sweet bars and a big salad for me and my honey complete with nut pates and avo tons of sprouts. For car trips I bring the cooler and plenty of green juice and smoothies, salad dressing, pates, and greens, crackers and avos!! I also try to keep up on the sprouting while on the road not to hard to do make sure to have lots of water!!

19. Rhonda D says:

I will now bring grapefruit seed extract! you can use it to wash you veggies and fruit, Also if you happen to go to another country you can use it to help with any problems that come up with digestion.

To control ants Vinigar is a really good source wash you counter tops, floor sinks you need to water it down, you can also use it in a spray bottle.

20. Donna says:

If you blend hot peppers with a little water in the VitaMix then spray the plant, it will keep bugs off.

21. Ginny Syvertsaon says:

1st post ever, but just had to comment on everyone else’s posts. You guys are so awesome!!(you too Kevin) I really appreciated all that has been said and I sympathize with all the senarios, because that is exactly what I think and feel when out and about. And the reward of the fight is being able to walk past something you used to love and not be beckoned by it. Was an amazingly joyfull experience. Now for the Cheese! Ginny

22. Karen Jackson says:

I also mix veggie plants and flowers – mostly to attract more bees. I also fertilize a couople times with Ocean Solutions which is supposed to mineralize the plants, keep them healthy and keep the bugs off.

Thanks so much for the gardening shows! I want more!

23. Chris & Sara says:

Loving the synchronicities…Great timing for the gardening shows!!

This is the info that we all need.

Once we started eating more raw foods and more produce, we naturally began to desire growing our own food. Just getting our first garden together, YAY!!!

It is a great way of taking control of the food you eat.

And so much fun too!

Love John and his energy. What an inspiration. Hope to see more of him and others like him.

Any more tips on soil, pests, etc is GREATLY appreciated!

For our roadtrips, Green Smoothies are a must!! And other easy to munch produce, cucumbers, avos, kelp granules, sea salt (hate going to a place that does not have sea salt!) apples, carrots. WATER.

ALoha Kevin and Anne Marie~

24. Meri says:

Another awesome show 🙂
    Great info and more inspiration to spur me on.
    I haven’t really done a lot of travelling so I can’t say I have anything that I usually take with me. I suppose it would depend where I was with my diet too. Great to see that you guys are the epitome of preparedness!! Go Giannis!

25. Erin says:

Hey

26. Erin says:

Hey! Awesome Garden!!! I’ve slowly been decreasing grass and increasing vegetable beds in my front yard and aspire to have NO GRASS one day.

About the 10 favorite traveling foods video – Does whole leaf stevia powder have the horrible after taste that the white powder does? I’ve banished stevia from my diet because of it, but I’m doing low glycemic and if the green tastes better, I plan on trying it.

Thanks!

27. Jes says:

Bug control: Plant many plants and many varieties. There are brush piles in my urban city yard (for animal habitat). I live in the center of town right behind MCDonalds. Birds live all around and probably are eating bugs. I have fish in the pond to eat the mesquito larva. Other than that, I have so many leaves around that I let the bugs eat their fill and there is always plenty more for human consumption and plenty of plants to go to seed. I think abudance is the best bug control. Think abundantly and compost your worries.

28. Koa says:

I bring nothing because it all gets x-rayed.

29. jj says:

dr. bronner’s eucalyptus oil soap will protect u from biting insects and will wipe out red ants. it is amazing stuff. thanks for the high energy video and audio. you guys are such smiley-faced good energied loving folk.
    love, jj

30. zyxomma says:

I live on the top floor of a tenement where we aren’t allowed roof access, so my gardening has been limited to sprouting. Earlier this week, I volunteered at the community garden in the middle of my block. They’d just had compost delivered, & about 6 of us spread it on the whole garden! Even those of us without the land for a garden (not even a yard) can (1) sprout, and (2) forage! For ants, use chalk. There are numerous natural pest control methods: Diluted soap, soaked organic tobacco, and chili all work for various bugs. Encouraging birds with feeders helps greatly; birds eat bugs!

When traveling by plane, I bring bamboo utensils, Dr. Young’s Super Greens powder, and real food (avocado, salad, soaked nuts), flax chips or live crackers & nut butter. I always do an internet search of my destination to find local restaurants, health food stores, and green markets. Information Empowers! Health and peace.

31. Yasmine says:

Hi,

This message is for Diane. To keep ants out your house, you can use lemon or a clove.

Hope that helps !

Yasmine

32. John says:

I would like to know what he does about weeds, I didn’t see any. There are probably less with raised beds I suppose. It really looks amazing.

Travel – I try to pack very light and only take the essentials. I was overseas recently for 2 weeks and only took a backpack and small carry-on bag. Mostly clothes and a few toiletries is all, a few snacks also, camera, phone, power converter, that’s about all.

33. monica says:

Tea tree oil controls ants

34. Sylvia says:

Just wanted to give a hint for getting aphids off of your veggies, if they are present when it’s time to eat: Wash them off with very warm water, preferably with a sprayer. Works wonders on Dino Kale which has lots of nooks & crannies.

35. What do we take when we travel? We’re very lucky because we travel in a small camper with a refrigerator, and most of our trips take about 3 days but we’ve been gone as long as 6 days with the following: PREMADE GREEN SMOOTHIE. I’m pretty sure that people who adhere to proper food combining might not approve, but we make our TRAVEL Green Smoothie with all the ingredients we’d normally put in a breakfast smoothie…powders, ground seeds and nuts etc and for each VitaMix blender container full we include about half greens (parsley, kale, celery, etc.) and add 2 apples, 2 bananas, 2 oranges, all packed down and filled to top with pure water. We VitaMix it all together and pour into half gallon containers that fit in our fridge. After consuming NOTHING but this concoction on a 3 day trip we noticed we MISSED our smoothies when we got home! We consume green smoothies every day at home, but not nearly so MUCH! This might not work for everyone, but when we are on a road trip we don’t like spending a lot of time with food preparation and we don’t have power to fire up equipment in Walmart’s parking lot!