How to Grow Plants with Sound and Music – The Renegade Health Show #336

Tuesday Jun 23 | BY |

After Matt and Angela’s wedding, we had a chance to talk to Ken Brown and Peggy McDonnell of Angel’s Organic Farm and Angel’s Health Institute…

They have a great set up that grows seriously activated and mineral rich plants and foods.

In this video, Ken explains his system for growing his garden with sound and music as well as his techniques for wheatgrass.

Peggy explains a little about her own health challenges and some of the things that they feel are most important to do for your own health. 🙂

(I’ll bet about 70% of you aren’t doing one of the things she mentions! I wasn’t for a while… )

Your question of the day: Wheatgrass… like the taste or not?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

To find out more about Ken and Peggy’s place in Oregon, visit www.AngelsHealthFoodInstitute.com

1. DELANEY says:

I actually do! Sometimes I feel a little queasy after a shot but I think it tastes yummy.

2. Kay Smith says:

I like wheatgrass – but I take the foam off. That I don’t like. I do put the foam on my face — hate to waste it.

3. Geri says:

I love Wheatgrass! mmmmmm

4. Vita says:

l do not like the taste of wheatgrass!

5. Maria says:

Pretty good post. I just came by your site and wanted to say
    that I have really enjoyed browsing your posts. Anyway
    I’ll be subscribing to your blog and I hope you post again soon!

6. Do The Angel’s Organic Farm have a website where you can buy their products? Clare

7. Katarina says:

I LOVE wheatgrass and can feel a boost after I drink it. In fact if I feel a cold coming on.. I double up .. A W E S O M E !! STUFF!

8. JoyfullyRaw says:

Only had it once. It made me pretty sick. I can drink barleygreen, but I still have to hold my nose.

9. Sherri says:

I thought I liked wheatgrass untill I drank some there at Raw Union. Oh man, love is the only word to describe how good their wheatgrass is. I had six, or seven shots of it this weekend, yummmmmmmmm! Bye the way Kevin, and Annmarie, I had a blast meeting you both. You are exactly who you seem to be. Thank you for that!

10. Nadia says:

Taste is okay. However, no more than 2 oz for me b/c I too get a little queasy after. Are these detox symptoms?

11. DebB says:

I can’t say I actually like the taste, but I am getting used to it.

I started by drinking the WG juice, followed by a glass of water, all while plugging my nose.

Now I’ve worked up to double shots with no nose plugging.

Debbie *Ü*

12. Jack says:

Totally love the taste. I always feel its so nutrient dense that you have to drink it not too fast or else its kind of a shock to the system. So if you think its gross, which it’s totally not, it’s sweet and nice, you gotta be careful to at least not gulp it down.

13. Deborah says:

I have grown and juiced more wheatgrass in this lifetime that I care to remember. It was always a challenge for me to drink it, I felt as if I had taken a shot of whiskey, I would shake. Today, I would so much rather take BlueGreen Algae. I love the energy of it and how it makes me think with clarity. God Bless Ann Wigmore for discovering the qualities of wheatgrass juice. But, I no longer grow it for personal use.

14. Frances says:

I grow wheat grass regularly and love it in my smoothies with orange and avocado. The orange seems to remove most of the cow taste.

15. I am not a fan of wheatgrass even though I know it is good for us..

16. dirk diggler says:

I definitely couldn’t sip on a big gulp of it, but 1 or 2 ounces no problem. i grew it for the first time a couple weeks ago, and it’s so easy! Kevin and Ann Marie…you two are great. keep up the good work!

17. Avi says:

Love it [the taste] !! I can down 3 oz, no problems at all [I’m 31 and weigh about 165 lbs]. Ive begun growing [and I’m pretty new at gardening at all] my own outdoors [w/azomite] & use the manual juicer … for now, its a bit more bitter than the store bought sort-of-local wheatgrass I sometimes get.

I also eat sprouts – but when I try to make my own they always start to reek pretty fast. I’m still trying to figure out when to refrigerate, how much citric acid to use, what growing system for them, etc. Don’t have the cash for the pricey kinds either. Oh wait I was just supposed to say if I liked wheatgrass … yes I do : D

18. Beverly says:

Don’t mind wheat grass.

Do you remember a book tittled “The Secret Life of Plants” that came out probably 40 or 50 years ago? I found a beat up paperback in a thrift store and immediately started talking and playing music to my plants, not being nearly careful about the frequencies but using mostly chamber music. The plants LOVED it, big time. I also apologize to them when I have neglected them for whatever reasons. They seem to forgive me because they perk up again more than would seem reasonable with catchup care.

When I had a garden I also used some of the techniques there, and it did seem to me that I got better yields from my little city plot. Does anyone else remember and possibly use some of the materials from that book?

19. mark e says:

I love the taste of wheatgrass juice! Initially that was not the case. For instance, the first couple of times I had it I thought it tasted like the way the grass on the bottom of my lawnmower smells. But I quickly came to enjoy it!

20. Linda says:

Not crazy about the taste but I have dealt with it because I know it’s supposed to be good for you.

This was another good and informative show.

21. Marlene says:

We love wheat grass, we grow them in our hydroponic… We feed them lots of organic nutrients, they taste really sweet. I put 6 oz of wheat grass in the Vitamix for our smoothy. If you check out Raw fu, I posted pictures of the lushest green wheat grass ever.

22. Maria says:

I Love, Love, Love the taste of wheatgrass! In a smoothie, plainly juiced or just chewed on, it hits the spot. It’s great mixed with orange juice, banana and pineapple. Or rather, the drink is great with the wheatgrass mixed in, as it enhances the juice for me.

There was a wheat field near my home that I and the neighborhood children were allowed to partially carve a maze into every summer and I instinctively liked to chew on the grass while it was tender and young. The energy of that field was magical and we played in it until the golden harvest each year with energy to spare, long after the green was gone.

23. Brian says:

I really love the taste of wheatgrass the last time I tried it.
    Unfortunately, I react to the gluten in it even though people say it is gluten free. Ditto for barley grass. Celiacs cannot tolerate minute amounts of gluten. It is a food allergy.

24. Abby says:

Wow! This is very interesting science.. He’s talking about vibrations. Sounds cutting edge and Fascinating. This is the second time this week that I am hearing about vibrations and plants and soil nutrition. We must have more info. on this subject.

This is a topic that I have never heard about until this week! Fascinating!

25. wendy green says:

i’m with deborah, i bow down to dr ann, but would rather eat algae than WG. i’m guessing you are talking about blood tests? i’m sure you have done a video on this kevin…where can i get info? we are back in the states for a moment in july. thanks for the skin video, have been using the ideas this one was great, as always! om w

26. Anthony says:

Hello kevin and ann marie this is anthony from rawunion i wanted to say hello to also say how much i enjoyed meeting both of you, person to person it felt which can be hard when we look at one another as such powerful inspirational people but deep down its just how much energy and intuition we use to be who we exactly want to be we follow the heart chakra so now, i am making my plan my scheme to sell almost everything that i own so that i can move from san francisco i will move out of my room by july 1st and then travel to more raw food festivals, but also connect deeper with the natural earth and with who i need to be i need to feel my real potential san francisco has alot of energy alot of it i percieve as brainwashed mass society consume and destroy land, i give my love i believe that during your travels we will be vibrating on the same frequency which will touch one another hahahha , raw union has taken me into a deep trusting transformation where i feel i have submitted to the universe and now will do what feels intuitively right. bohemian traveling -all the love from my sun with -vitamin d3 anthony
    wheat grass to me is sugary but its cleansing let me say that.

27. Jonathan says:

I actually like it. It’s really sweet to me. If you don’t like it, drink 32 oz of green Kamut daily for 3 weeks and the wheat grass will taste like kool-aid. 🙂 This was a really good episode.
    Thanks for sharing.

Peace!

28. Suzanne says:

cant stand the taste of wheat grass much prefer e3live,take that every morning instead

29. Michael T. says:

Yes, I like wheatgrass juice, but to be honest I drink it wirh orange juice and water. I think it makes people gag because it’s too concentrated.

If it is mixed with fruit juice or a smoothie it should be much easier to take in to your body.

At the very least, it would be advisable to drink a lot of water to wash down and dilute the wheatgrass juice.

30. Brenda says:

No I do not like the taste of wheatgrass juice. The after taste is especially bad.
    I love this show. I love living in quantum land. Energizing things with vibration really makes a difference.

31. brian says:

Since my body cannot take wheat grass, would I still get the same benefits by eating a wide variety of vegetables, fruits, and other non-grass sprouts?:(

32. I have never tried wheatgrass (yet).

Kind of surprising to me even.

Ken and Peggy seem a little “out there” for most mainstream people. Did you find them to be a little too “out there” at all?

Jonathan

33. Lauren says:

Please, your opinion on this:

Proposed bill HR 2749

34. I’ve done wheatgrass juice quite a number of times and cannot stand the taste. It gives me the chills–literally. However, it is quite beneficial. I juice the wheatgrass for others and many do like it. My cats absolutely adore it and as soon as they hear the Greenstar running they book for the kitchen and start meowing until I hold it to their mouths and let them munch for a while.

35. MARY THOMAS says:

YUK! MAKES ME FEEL SICK AND I HAVE TO HOLD MY NOSE….MAKES ME FEEL NAUSEA AFTER TOO. EVEN THE SMELL MAKES ME FEEL SICK! I STILL TAKE IT THOUGH.

36. Didiydi says:

I was doing wheatgrass for a while and at first it made me feel really good, improvement in my health was amazing (I have candida), but then it started making me sick. I thought it’s a detox, as everyone says, but it was getting worse so I decided to listen to my body and stopped.

Later on I found an info on a canadian company who grows their wheatgrass on a field outside, they plant it before winter, because they found that the cold kills the mold. They say the berries that don’t sprout start to develop mold, which then goes into all young plants. They tried everything, picking up unsprouted berries, spraying with hydrogen, nothing worked. And the funny thing is their wheatgrass doesn’t make people sick and they can drink glasses of it.
    They also say indoor grass in it’s sprouting stage is full of sugar, and I think because of candida I was reacting to both mold and sugar.

I wish people would listen to their bodies and not the marketing, no matter how reasonable it sounds. What’s hilarious to me is that even David Wolfe in one lecture said he can’t stand to look at the stuff anymore bcs he drank gallons of it, but still highly recommends it.
    Anyway, here’s the story:

37. sheryl miller says:

Hello Kevin and AnneMarie,

Looks like a wonderful place!
    I can’t wait to see the photos from the big day!

I have never tried wheat grass, I don’t plan too as it probably has gluten in it and I have got an intolerance to gluten and wheat.

Thanks for sharing and finding all these fabulous people with their journies.

thanks
    sheryl
    canberra
    australia

38. Wheatgrass is okay “naked”, especially with the funny expressions you make after drinking it 😮 However, I prefer wheatgrass “light”–a juicing of wheatgrass, 1 Golden apple & 1/2 lemon. Now that’s love.

39. merrilees says:

Hello there Kevin and Annemarie!
    Congratulations on an amazing show – your best yet! I’ve been using sounds, essences and crystal energy with my plants for some time now together with biodynamic techniques. I also work with devas and nature spirits. My godson says its all too “wafty” but the results are phenomenal.
    Thanks for including Annemarie’s infectious laugh in the background.
    This show has energised me for the day.
    And I love wheatgrass.

40. B&E says:

Love wheatgrass! I throw it in with Dandelion greens, spinach, chards, celery, cucumber, lettuces & what ever other greens I have at the time!!!

41. Meri says:

I don’t mind the taste of wheatgrass, sometimes it can be nice and sweet, but I do start to feel queasy shortly after drinking a shot. I would so love to have the space to grow it myself as buying pregrown trays of wheatgrass costs a fortune and the powders just don’t seem to do much for me.
    This show was really fascinating. I need to research more into these techniques people are using to remineralise the soil and get the highest quality plants. Can you reccommend any books on the subject for example Kevin & Annmarie?

42. Mary says:

Hi,
    I have heard of playing music to plants and that it helps, but I never tried it.
    When you had David Woolfe on, he also mentioned that he had his own technique for growing food and I would like to know more about what he does to make it more nutrient dense.
    I have only tried a bit of wheatgrass and don’t really like it, but my 13 year old does. I need to start growing it. I don’t have a wheat grass juicer to do it. Would a vitamix break the grass down enough to just mix it in with a smoothie? I have heard both yes and no.

43. Susan says:

how do you contact them to get this music?

Susan : )

44. Karen Jackson says:

I put powdered wheatgrass in my morning drink. It only tastes a little bit green.

This show was fascinating, Kevin. I would appreciate any info on organic gardening you can find.

45. Nama Mama says:

I love wheatgrass juice homegrown but I stopped growing due to fruitflies. Yuk
    Naturally
    NM

46. Amanda Thompson says:

I just learned the coolest thing to pass on to everyone… The UPC code, the little sticker we all so love on our raw produce…If it is a 5 digit code beginning with a “9”, it is Organically Grown. If is is a 5 digit code beginning with an “8”, it is Genetically Modified. A 4 digit code, indicates it is Conventionally Grown.
    How cool is that?!
    Love,(and nice to give back)
    ~AmandaSoarsFree

47. Amanda Thompson says:

P.S.
    If you think about how much you would have to chew your wheatgrass to intake an ounce, as most shots are…one realizes the necessity for seriously chewing to digest this precious nectar. The saliva in the mouth breaks it down, so if you inhale and swallow without, or minimal chewing…it will hit the tummy hard and cause this nausea many commented on. Same with carrot juice and fruit smoothies/green drinks. Using a blender is a form of processing which makes it convenient, but just a reminder it still must be ingested slowly and well masticated Beloveds’.
    I chew it to whiten my teeth, and have made a poultice applied to warts/moles to remove them naturally~(takes a coupla months applied daily and left on with a bandage.)

48. Sue Rushford says:

I like it when it’s good wheatgrass, & I don’t like it when it’s too bitter. Frances cracked me up when she said, “The orange seems to remove most of the cow taste.” I actually open up a young Thai coconut & mix wheatgrass and coconut water – really cuts any bitterness from the wheatgrass – learned this trick from Blake Kuralt in Chicago who made it a point that it was not his idea. He described the mixture as correlating to a total blood transfusion since the chlorophyll in wheatgrass has a similar chemical structure to hemoglobin (main difference is Fe v Mg in the center), and coconut water can be used as blood plasma – and it’s really a refreshing combo – adding the coconut water makes wheatgrass so delicious.

49. Ronald Moore Jr says:

I’ve always liked wheatgrass I always seem to get the sweet wheat which I heard isn’t the one you won’t to drink since its lacking in nutrition.

50. Rosa says:

Wasn’t terribly excited about wheatgrass juice until I had some at Soup To Nuts here in Geneva Illinois. I don’t know who their source is but it is fabulous, sweet, mild, yum!

51. Tammy says:

I haven`t had wheatgrass by itself I usually have a mixed greens that I mix into vegetable juice. I very happy to hear sounds freqencies are being used in growing plants.I have known this years ago.My mom would buy natural bird sound tapes and so on to create the same effect.Wow!Awesome show!Thank you,Tammy.

52. Nadia says:

I used to like the taste and drank it quite a bit but then it quickly changed. Overnite I found that even the smell of it in a room would make me gag. Once that happened I stopped ingesting it. Just figured that my body no longer needed it and when/if my body does need it again the smell/taste will once again become appealing to me.
    On another note I loved the music thing with the plants. Makes complete sense that out in Nature at dusk and dawn all the critters are singing their songs and the plants would benefit from this. Makes me also think that we people would also benefit from listening to this song at dusk and dawn. hmmm
    Where can you buy a disc that simulates the natural dusk/dawn sounds of all the critters?

53. Laura G says:

No. When I have it, I mix it into smoothies. There I can’t detect it and still seem to get the benefits.

I’ve had some detox at times too, after using it so many days in a row.

Good video. I love what they’re talking about here. Very interesting.
    Thanks.

54. Carol says:

I looked a their website, plenty of instruction on food, etc. I would really be interested in learning some of Farmer Brown’s farming techniques and how they can be implemented in a small home garden to enhance what we grow at home. Any chance of you getting him to write a book, or do something that would help the rest of us out on that?

55. deb says:

NO! Just the smell makes me nauseauous. In the ’70’s I used to choke it down. Now, I trust my body’s reaction because when you think about it, without a juicer humans would not be able to consume wheatgrass.

56. Barbara Weith says:

It’s great with a little apple juice and fresh ginger. Another great way to enjoy it is with a wedge of orange (I recently had it served up to me that way in a local juice bar).

57. Daniel Kwabi says:

Hi Kevin
    Thanks for the video. I know plants love music and the personal touch of humans. I used to grow and produce my own wheatgrass juce. The benefits are numerous and the taste to me was fine.
    If I can lay hands on Ken and Peggy’s technology and method I would be happy to restart the wheatgrass planting.
    Thank you for everything.
    Daniel

58. Cindy says:

I like wheatgrass. Put it in my smoothies all the time. to me it gives it an earthy taste. Visiting my daughter I just popped into Jamba Juice and had an all fruit smoothies with a shot of wheatgrass. Told them to put it in the smoothie when they made it. They looked at me like I was weird. But, I am used to it.

59. Carol says:

Several years back I stayed a week at the Optimum Health Institute in Lemon Grove, San Diego, CA. While there, it was required that we make our own wheat grass juice by going to the refrigerated room and grabbing bunches of the grass and put it through the wheat grass juicer. We would then drink it several times a day and also put some in an enema that was also reccommended for us all who were on a healing journey. I’ve been told that if you detest the taste of wheat grass, it could be that you are in need of detox. When I was younger, I loved drinking the wheat grass juice. The taste was pleasant. But now in my older detoxed state, the taste is not that pleasant. I force myself to drink it, with a wedge of orange in it. I like the idea of putting the wheat grass in with some apple juice and ginger. I really liked this video about growing plants with the use of sound. Great! This man, should teach others and sell cds with the music he thinks works the best for growing.

60. Jenn says:

I am not a fan of wheatgrass. I might have a shot of it if I am out somewhere that has it for a reasonable price, but would never consider growing it myself. I think there are many other better tasting grasses out there.

I loved the video however, and great timing(will have to contact them) because we just decided one of the projects we need to do next year with our students is how biotic and abiotic factors effect plant growth.

61. Yvonne says:

I very much enjoy growing wheatgrass and drinking it too. It’s one of the healthy things that doesn’t cost a lot. Most people can afford wheat. Sprouts are the way to go for those who have less money than they would like. Yvonne

62. Jules says:

Thanks, Kevin! This was an awesome show! I really appreciate you sharing this experience with us! I am so inspired to have a green house and play sounds for my plants! Never in my wildest dreams did I think that being a farmer could be so complicated as to incorporate quantum physics! I love it. I think there is so much out there that we don’t even know about on a conscious level; but in our subconscience we’ve known about these techniques all along and that is why it resonates with us and feels natural.

63. Barbara says:

I have not tried it yet. I am still learning sprouts. I haven’t tried to grow wheat grass because I don’t have a wheat grass juicer. Is there another way to extract the juice until I can purchase one of the fancy juicers?
    Thanks for all you do. I have learned so much from you. Bless You!

64. Misti says:

I just wanted to say thanks for another great episode! I loved meeting you guys last weekend at the Union, to see that you both are as genuine as you appear on your show, as well as funny and kind, too (thanks for the back rub, Ann Marie!).
    I have to testify to Angel’s wheatgrass as well- it is THE BEST wheatgrass I have ever tasted! I didn’t get enough of it- I will have to go back some day! BTW, Ken and Peggy are super people too, loved talking with them, and you will too!

65. Yvonne says:

I don’t mind the taste of wheatgrass. I have been eating and taking things for a long time so I now have a medicinal taste.

The worst taste for me is kelp. I never liked fish and it tastes fishey to me. I hide it in things so the taste is masked to a great degree.