Rainbeau Mars on Yoga – The Renegade Health Show Episode #329

Friday Jun 12 | BY |

We had a chance to meet up with Rainbeau Mars at the Raw Spirit Festival…

She’s pretty much the world ambassador for yoga for Adidas.

In this episode, she talks about finding herself and finding yoga. Take a watch, you might find some nuggets that will help you get to where you need to go.

Here’s the show…

Your question of the day: Yoga? Yes or no?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

Here’s a link to Rainbeau’s site… www.RainbeauMars.com

Upcoming Events! Stay up-to-date on our new calendar: http://renegadehealth.com/blog/our-schedule/

June 18th: Overcoming Plant-Based Diet Pitfalls Presented by Kevin Gianni, Portland: 7:00pm PST. Hosted by Brion Oliver of The Raw Matrix. Event fee: $10 Join the hosts of the Renegade Health Show, Kevin and Annmarie Gianni, as they discuss tooth decay, body acidity, low weight, low energy, and more! Kevin will speak for 1 1/2 hours, and then there will be a 1/2 hour Q & A session. Friends Meeting House, 4312 SE Stark, Portland, OR 97202 For more information and to pre-register, visit www.rawmatrix.org.

June 20th – June 21st: Raw Union! Matt Monarch & Angela Stokes are getting married on Sunday, June 21st 2009 – Summer Solstice – and they would love you to join them…The theme of the week’s festivities is Raw Foods, Healing, Permaculture and LOVE. Kevin Gianni is a guest speaker. $65, $85 at the door. For more details, visit www.renegadehealth.com/rawunion Angel’s Organic Farm, 9394 Blackwell Rd., Central Point, OR 97502

July 9th: High Raw Talk and Raw Foods Potluck in Grants Pass, OR. 6:00PM – 9:00PM. Event sponsored by Rebecca Leaverton aka Superfood Girl! Get event details here: http://www.meetup.com/SouthernOregonLiving/

July 18th: Redmond, WA. Raw Spirit NW Celebration: Happy Oasis Birthday Party. Speakers: Kevin Gianni, Elaina Love, David Kaplan, Tom Armstrong. Music by Adrien Xavier. Farm tours, wild food foraging, vendors booths, and more! Sponsored by Raw Vegan Source. Check out calendar for updates: http://renegadehealth.com/blog/our-schedule/

July 25th-July 26th: San Francisco: The Raw Health Expo is dedicated to educating the public about all aspects of the Living and Raw Foods Plant-Based Lifestyle. Kevin and Annmarie will be speaking at the event! Learn more and sign up to attend at www.renegadehealth.com/rawexpo

July 27th: Healdsburg, CA: Cafe Gratitude. Kevin will be speaking at Cafe Gratitude’s Monday Night LIVE! series. His discussion about living a High Raw lifestyle will begin at 7:30pm and last for 45 to 60 minutes. So, arrive at 6:30 and give yourself an hour to get seated, order and eat an AMAZING Café Gratitude dinner. Cafe Gratitude, 206 Healdsburg Ave (in the Olive Leaf), Healdsburg, CA 95448 7:30pm to 8:30pm For more info, visit http://www.shealynnbaird.com/monday

August 1st: Sacramento Raw Meetup TBA

August 2nd: San Francisco, CA. RAW FREEDOM 1 Day Seminar: “Turn Your Dreams Into a Financial Reality” led by Optimum Health Expert Kevin Gianni, creator of RenegadeHealth.com, followed by “Connecting With Your Audience Using Social Media” with Social Media expert Jason Cairns of OrganicJar.com. Cost $125. Limit 30 people. Sunday, 12:30-5:30, San Francisco: location to be announced.

August 21st-23rd: Fort Bragg, CA. Vibrant Living Expo. Join us for the raw food event of 2009! The Expo features wonderful culinary demos, mini film festival, health panels, Raw Pie Contest, renowned speakers, Rising Star Chef Showcase, exhibitor booths, workshops, seminars, Wellness Pavilion, food vendors, and a lot of delicious raw food! There’s also great pre- and post-Expo events and workshops, too. http://renegadehealth.com/blog/our-schedule/

August 27th – August 30th: Molalla, OR. The Raw and Living Spirit Retreat. Join Kevin and Annmarie at The Raw and Living Spirit Retreat, four days of gourmet raw vegan cuisine, inspirational speakers, and healing community in the woods of Molalla, Oregon, just thirty miles from Portland. Celebrating our fourth year of operations, we invite you into our community and hope to see you at the Retreat this August! Register now at http://www.rawandlivingspirit.org/

September 19th: Portland, OR. Northwest Veg Fest: Meet up with Kevin and Annmarie at VegFest 2009, which celebrates and promotes sustainable, compassionate and healthy food choices and lifestyles. This low-cost, fun and food-filled event welcomes everyone!

October 23rd – November 4th: The Peruvian Experience Superfoods Tour with Kevin and Annmarie Gianni and Dr. J.E. Williams! This once in a lifetime experience is limited to only 20 people! Find out more and sign up at www.ThePeruvianExperience.com

1. Eranah says:

Oh heavenly YES!!

2. Kim says:

YES!!! (Holy Yoga)w/Brooke Boon

3. VeggieGirl says:

Yoga for me = a resounding YES!! 🙂

4. Katie says:

Definately LOVE YOGA!! 🙂

5. Stephaine says:

6. Nick says:

Yoga? Yes & Gno. Y’know, “know thyself” from the Oracle of Delphi. Gnosticism is not only the basis of Christianity revealed after the 1945 discovery of the Nag Hammadi library in Egypt, Aramaic texts, the language of the Holy Land at that crucial time, only translated by scholars, not tampered with by the politically motivated church. The central saying in the Gospel of Thomas, if there is one, is “bring forth what you can find within you, for what you can find will save you, while that you don’t find will kill you”, I paraphrase. All “pagan” and animist pre-organized religions in the world were into taking this inward plunge as the obvious direction of both self-cultivation & binding with God, “yolking” is how Joseph Campbell summed the root of the word & prax in question here. The Chinese with their physical culture see spirituality as found in the depths of mundanity, hence taiji & qigong. This was generally the way instead of cultivating supernatural beliefs in the peoples (imposed on us, really;(, wow’ing us with miracles unattainable by us mere humans.
    While taiji seeks stillness within movement, in yoga we feel for the movement within the held poses (asanas). All such can be done without formal practice once formal prax has gained a momentum. Ahem, this takes years!

7. Matt says:

Ahhhhh, ummmm, ahhh no?

OK, occasionally, but its inconsistent with the rest of my exercise (long story).

I want to give major props to Rainbeau.

She was supposed to give a 20 second introduction to someone at Raw Spirit Fest, and that person didn’t show (he wasn’t even late).

Instead of bogging down and giving up, Rainbeau did a complete (probably 25 minute) improvisational talk right on the main stage and ended with everyone dancing jamming and having fun.

How many people do you know that could pull that out of their … ?

Matt

8. Christa says:

Yes. I love yoga and teach it too.

9. Rosa says:

Just discovered hot yoga (Bikram). Totally hooked! 4X per week – more if I can swing it. Best addiction ever! My body is shifting. I can honestly say that, barring an accident, I will not need to see my chiropractor or rolfer again! And It will extend my life as a massage therapist. Just traded massage tonight with my colleague and she commented that my body felt so much better and looked different! I have only done about 12 sessions at this point.

10. Amy says:

yes! Raja and Hatha yoga :>)

11. Geri says:

Yes! I Just started and love it! It makes me feel alive!!!! We do it on the beach @ 6:00 in the morning, Maui, HI. Come join us!!!!

12. Yoga = should be doing MUCH more of it.

Rainbeau’s discussion of the “container” was very interesting. I think of this as a “framework” or a “structure” much more than a container, because I never want to be “contained”. Her discussion of it though was a great reminder to me.

Thanks for the interview Kevin!

Warmest,

Jonathan

13. David says:

Yes, at a minimum the 5 Tibetan Rites every morning. Check out this book ‘The Ancient Secret to the Fountain of Youth, Book 2’ or google it.

Simple with amazing results.

14. John Thornley says:

Circumlocution!

15. Just now starting to use yoga in my fitness program. Once a week to start.
    I also just finished reading the download of Raw High. Thank you.

16. Julie says:

YOGA Defintly YES!!!!! I sometimes know more than the instructor (a regular gym) and try to remember proper alignment. I wish I could teach the class but can’t afford the cost for the required hours. But, YOGA YES!!!

Julie

17. Linda Miller says:

I love yoga, but she didn’t make a lot of sense to me. But it’s late. Maybe I need to relisten.

18. Irina says:

Yoga – definitely yes; but she did not make a whole lot of sense to me…

19. Khon Rak. says:

Dear All,
    The Regular Practice of Yoga is truly understanding oneself, with it’s physical postures & movements will help you gain knowledge, Wisdom & Awearness.
    ( Enlightenment ) is obtainable by everyone of us. As you will experience with a Raw Food Diet. Daily exercise, Drink plenty of Quality spring water, to help flush the Body of Toxins.
    One or Two day a week Water or Wheatgrass Juice fast will Help bring you to that point of Awearness, Enlightenment.
    Stabilize your Weight & Desire for food.
    Please go ahead & try it, the true Path to Health & Happiness.
    From my personal experience.
    The Wheatgrass Specialist, Nick ( Khon Rak )
    Ramkamhaeng, Bangkok, Thailand.
    Kind regards to you all.

20. Ashley says:

All the way, everyday YES! I’m addicted 🙂

21. Catherine says:

I do my yoga all day long. I also teach yoga. Yoga does so many good things for our body/mind and soul that I can’t even begin to mention them all. Breathe, relax, and let go. This will change everything. Become strong on the inside and fluid and flexible on the outside. All that good raw food will digest even better. I could write volumns. DO YOGA!!!!

22. natalya H says:

No, it’s too boring.
    I’d rather go plant some flowers and take care of my yard or just hike or ride a bike sometimes or swim. I wonder what kind of “yoga” Adam and Eve might be practiced in garden of Eden?
    It’s good to have a beautiful, strong body, but while somebody is putting most of the efforts to achieve this, he could loose his salvation, because striking a pose doesn’t necessarily mean connection to the Universe, to God, but could be just a pride in yourself.
    Christianity (at least Orthodox Christianity) doesn’t have anything to do with gnosticism).
    Sorry if my reply didn’t please somebody.

23. cheryl says:

Hi everyone!

Check out the movie “Enlighten Up!”.

Peace on earth.

24. Amy RAWbecca says:

Definitely YOGA!!!! A Must! Hatha, Vinyasa, & just started Bikram (Hot) Yoga couple a months ago…which is an amazing combination with RAW foods!

25. Suzanne says:

Yes,my practise is highly influenced by Jon Monks the creator of yogamonks.
    It is extremely progressive and has a tai chi influence to the practise.The principals are stacking the bones correctly so as not to impose on the muscles and releasing the energy back down to the ground.It is taught in such a way that the participant gets to understand how to connect with their own inner teacher.
    As a certified yoga and ballet instructor this way of teaching has inspired me to create a yoga/ballet fusion style class.

26. Marijana says:

Yes, the 5 Tibetan Rites every morning or evening, but the most often – morning and evening.

27. Katrina says:

I practice daily, and will hopefully do teacher training in India next year!

28. Liana says:

yoga = “yoked” union = our essential state of be-ing. are we ever not practicing it? a walk in the forest, tending a garden, caring for a loved one, conscious breathing = yoga. and, yes, I return to my mat to “practice”, and I teach, too (Iyengar, Forrest, and vinyasa styles)! 🙂 thanks for sharing, Rainbeau! om, shanti

29. Jess says:

Yoga, definitely! Yoga + raw food = major empowerment. Where would I be without it?

30. Susan Bessette says:

I used to do yoga when my kids were little. Then life got busy and seasons change. Now I would rather spend 4 hours in the garden. Perhaps yoga would be the perfect cool-down activity, internalize all the flower vibes. I am still only a month into the raw food experience.
    I agreed with the comment on Christianity. There is much talk about finding God in yourself, enlightenment, unity with the universe. Spiritual enlightenment is finding Jesus, not finding yourself.

31. LuAnn says:

That was a terrific interview, Congratulations Kevin and a warm greeting to Rainbeau who I thought exuded honesty and authentic…ness.. is that a word?
    I don’t do Yoga but then I don’t do much of anything that I intensely believe in the healing of. I’m in a rut and would much prefer to be living like you. My health and energy is bringing me down big time. I’m 55 I feel like if I don’t start now , the pain I feel in my body on a daily and nightly basis as well as the intense anxiety I feel will debilitate me to no return.
    I need some of Rainbeau’s commitment and movitvation. I have the motiviation but my mind/body won’t move .
    I need an intense arena with support to succeed with this. I wish the Raw World had a 12 step meeting to break the addictions to the SAD
    Peace and Namaste to you all,
    Lu

32. Didiydi says:

Yes. I practiced for a few years, did a teacher’s training in kundalini yoga, but now stopped because of chronic fatigue. When she said about crying every day and painful hips I could totally relate to that. I love that she is focused on growing and becoming real. Very inspirational. Thanks for the video!

33. LuAnn says:

Very interesting lecture Nick. As a former Born Again Christian I found what you had to say enlightening and I can see what “Be Still and Know that I am God” means in a whole new way. As Christians we were supposed to be striving to be like Jesus… the image of perfection, putting no others before HIM, ahem. The only way we will accomplish that is by going within… pray and meditate and the assanas open up different chakras to allow the chi to flow and call upon us to “think on these things” and “become one with “HIM”.
    (no statues no material things)

34. Roberta says:

I have been practicing yoga daily for some 30+ years. It is essential to my morning. To me, it is a kind of physical meditation, as I hold a posture/asana, and focus on breathing energy into all the parts of my body. While it is so much more than just stretching, yoga is definitely a factor in maintaining physical flexibility, and I first came to the practice as a way to ease lower backaches and arthritis pains. Yoga is beautiful for anyone to practice, because you just start from whatever level of flexibility and fitness you have. You only extend a pose for whatever length of time and distance of reach that is comfortable for you. Never force yourself farther than what you can comfortably maintain. Then, over time and repetition, you find that you’re able to hold a pose for a longer time, a greater stretch. Practicing yoga should follow a natural progression, a kind of evolution in your internal mechanics.

I understood what Rainbeau was trying to say, because I’ve experienced it, but I found her rather inarticulate Kevin, I love your show, and it would be a service to your viewers if you found a yoga proponent who could explain the practice of yoga in a more accessible manner.

Peace, everyone!

35. Jo Beck says:

Thanks for that interview. Only do a bit but am wanting to do more after watching interview and looking up more info on youtube. As usual you both are a great help. Thanks

36. kate says:

Yes to yoga. It is the only thing that has seemed to help with my adrenal fatigue. And I can stand in my job for long periods of time now without my back getting sore. One question, I have always done it at a local gym – is there really a difference in the quality of instruction vs. a place specializing in yoga?
    Kate

37. Nick says:

Yoga is very helpful for many things while many people can feel the physical benefits a good teacher will guide their students to the main purpose of Yoga which is finding oneself from within thru meditation.

38. Bill and Margaret says:

Yes, Bikram Yoga, 3 times per week, when we can. And helps keep us healthy, and off perscription drugs and sudefed.

39. Hanane says:

YES YES YES!!!

40. Koa says:

The act of working on oneself through a yoga practice has, of course, innumerable health benefits. But more importantly we learn to break many (self)destructive habits by constantly bringing our attention back to “what do I need to do?” Much of our life is wasted trying to fix the other guy, organisation, country, religion, etc when what we really need to be doing is working on our own habits, thought patterns and heart opening.

It’s like raw food. You keep adding the good stuff and there won’t be any room left for the rest. You will no longer get sucked into the gossipy, critical conversations. You will be humbled and know how hard change and improvement is.

LuAnn: Just a suggestion … don’t worry about anything else but getting yourself to class. Make a schedule and get yourself there. Once you are there whatever happens will happen and you will be able to deal with it. And I believe the word you are looking for is authenticity.

41. Debbie says:

Just starting.

42. Kathy Thompson says:

Yes, Surat Shabd Yoga, and Five Tibetans.

43. Dianna says:

Yes. I am a yoga instructor. It compliments a natural parenting, raw food, respect for life, body and soul lifestyle. And it lead me to eating raw and other better ways of life. Plus, it is very humbling. It opens my mind, body and spirit to grow and learn. I see children naturally get into yoga positions and teach them! They love it. Yoga really is for EVERY body.

44. sfauthor says:

Nice posting. Do you know about these yoga books?

45. Cathy Frank says:

YOG-ahh

a resounding “yes” vote here!

a healing art on many levels – movement with intention and conscious.

46. Michael T. says:

Yes and no.

I do my own thing, out in the sun in the morning, stretching like a cat, or any way that I feel.

I don’t usually do yoga classes. I like to go at my own pace, and stay with a stretch for as long as it feels good to me. I have found that classes often move too fast or too slow for me.

I may go to an occasional class, to learn some new things, and then I practice at home.

I really like to do stretching in the sun, seems like the infrared rays penetrate into my muscles and help them relax. And the morning light does not burn my skin.

Try it some time …

Michael T.

47. John says:

Yoga? Absolutely!

48. Kathie says:

YOGA YES YES it’s the core

49. Brenda says:

Kudalini yoga is my favorite.

50. Renata says:

Yoga? Yes, I would (and I do) recommend it to anyone. Any type of yoga you decide to do is only going to benefit your well being.
    I did not try many – only basic postures and Bikram yoga.
    Bikram yoga was introduced to me about a year ago by a friend who stumbled upon it on the net. I decided to try it and I liked it. I did not mention my bad lower back – degenerative changes on certain parts of spine and narrowing of lumbar part (quite common today).
    I never knew I could perspire that much. It is a type of yoga you do in a heated environment (about 38-40 celsius) and the class is 90 mins long. Fantastic. I was doing it for about 2 months, 3-4 times weekly. I felt great after the class. The other days I went jogging.
    I liked doing the class, but nowadays I am doing the postures as part of my other activities. I use them to warm up, to cool down or stretch.
    So, for me…….yes to any type of yoga!

51. Nicole says:

Great interview! Glad to see you’re spending time in beautiful Portland. Maybe you’ll be able to tell if it’s the place for you:)

52. Dorian says:

Don’t do yoga per se, I do a class that incorporates a little yoga, pilates and ballet barre work, a lot of isolation exercise-and I love it! My husband is a yoga student and loves it. Thanks for the interview-(Rainbeau was a little hard to follow at times however). Keep up the great work Kevin and Annemarie 🙂

53. debra says:

Yes, since the ’70’s. It’s the fountain of youth!

54. Beth says:

Yes! When I remember to do it.
    I’m not as consistent as I would like to be, but I’m working on it 🙂

55. Nadia says:

No one, so far, has mentioned Ashtanga Yoga. This is the practice that I like and have liked for years but for some reason I cannot get myself to practice it daily. (sometimes several months/years go by) I have tried other styles of yoga but always come back to Ashtanga. Not sure why I cannot get on the mat and do it though. Maybe I am fooling myself and that it really isn’t the style for me?

YES – to yoga

56. Angela says:

DEFINITELY YES!! Couldn’t live without it…Ashtanga is my favorite. Namaste

57. Shelley says:

Ashtanga baby!! LOVE IT!!!!!

58. rainbeau says:

Hi Kevin and Ann Marie and all the people that posted on here!

1. First of all of all thank you for the comments and for for your support and honesty. – It also did not make that much sense to me, when I watched this and so have not really linked anywhere to this. I love Kevin, but there were alot of distractions around me and was hoping we would have been able edit down to something more consice. i was just talking heart to heart, to my friend rather then trying to sell or even explain yoga to the world. it was more a pleasure then work for me. This was a rare opportunity as there are plenty of times, I am doing press junkets and doing my best to offer the right sound bites that will clearly deliver my message. This was not one of those times
    2. If you do want clearer applicable yoga about my approach to the practice you can find it my teaching or practice you could start by joining my community through my rainbeau mars website if you feel so inclined. the new site is almost up.
    3. Keep up the Yoga, by breathing, commiting, observing, aloowing, being present, accepting, without forcing and or judging. Wheather you find this in your 5 Tibetin Rites or on a hike, it does not matter much. Enjoy your body as you enjoy your breath and be grateful for this gift called a body.

We are the ones we have been waiting for. If not now then when. if not us, then who.

Blessings,

Rainbeau

Hope kevin and I can do a clearer interview one of these days. xoxo

59. jon ed says:

My Yoga is heavily inspired by CYoga … allways combing back to the presence Now with a full appreciation of space and love. Great Interview.