A Fresh, Wild, Raw Food Lemonade – The Renegade Health Show Episode #320

Monday Jun 1 | BY |

I say “lemonade,” but there’s really no lemons involved…

This is a special wild food (and raw) recipe put together by Katrina Blair of the Turtle Lake Refuge in Durango, Colorado.

We had an amazing time with them yesterday and of course had some amazing wild, raw “lemonade”.

Your question of the day: What is your favorite summer drink?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

To check out the Turtle Lake Refuge, click here: Turtle Lake Refuge

1. Penny Powell says:

Hi – this recipe looks really interesting and I’d love to make it, but I didn’t understand a lot of what was being said. Perhaps you could give a recipe at the end that is clearer and more concise next time.

Penny

2. Arnie says:

Lemonade

1 large lemon
    1 lime
    12 ounces alkaline water
    1 scoop energy drink

Blend in Vitamax 30 seconds A family favorite

Arnie Jensen

3. My favorite summer drink is the juice and pulp from a whole young coconut blended with some fresh vanilla! It’s so good.

4. John Thornley says:

Hi Kevin, the best lemonade is one fourth of a lemon including the peel and four apples; put this in a juicer, m-m-m-m good.

5. Pat the Irondoll says:

Would LOVE the recipe with the botanical names of the plants, since I’m afraid I might make a mistake foraging. Thanks!

Now I’m going to take my smoothie out of the office fridge here at work. Bon apetite!

6. Denise says:

SUMMER FRUIT MIX UP

IT’S SUCH A COINSIDENCE THAT YOU POSTED THIS TODAY. I JUST MADE THIS TODAY AND IT WAS DELISCIOUS! I MIXED IT ALL IN MY VITAMIX ON HIGH AND DRANK IT ALL! DELISH!

1 FRESH PINAPPLE
    1 HANDFUL FRESH CHERRIES – FROZEN
    1 HANDFUL OF GRAPES
    5 FRESH STRAWBERRIES
    1 LARGE PIECE OF GINGER
    1 CUP WATER
    1 HANDFUL FRESH BLUEBERRIES – FROZEN
    Juice of 1 lemon
    OPTIONAL – ICE

I intended on replacing the water with the fresh coconut water including the coconut meat but I was too thirsty to wait! The ginger adds a nice zest to it and it’s so soothing to the stomach!

7. LuAnn Agustin says:

My favorite city lemonade is 1/4 lemon (rind, seed and all) ground up in a heavy duty blender such as a Vita-mix with a big bunch of organic grapes, (any kind, though I prefer with seeds for their nutrients), a cup or two of ice. Blend and enjoy! Very slushy and lemony!

8. Dave says:

Hello,
    I agree with the first response.
    All I got was Thistle, some kind of grass and I think mint was mentioned and some kind of berries.
    Thanks

9. Isaac Clay says:

My favorite summer drink is goji berries soaked in water, strained, blended with Vanilla Agave, Sun Fire Salt, and wood sorrel or lemon juice – another lemonade!

10. jota says:

Looks great! But, was that unfiltered tap water I saw being used? Hope it was well water!

11. Kathy Thompson says:

It looked like she was using unripe currants. Was she?

My favorite summer time drink is good old water!

12. Rev Bob says:

What were the ingredients that were used ?

I could not make out what was being said all the time.

13. Roberta McMillian says:

Just created something new (for me anyway). Took small handful of chocolate mint from my herb garden, blended with vanilla (alcohol free or piece of bean) and green stevia and a few ice cubes in Vitamix. You can strain if you like, I didn’t. Yummmmmmm!

14. My Favorite is iced black stem mint. Cool and refreshing. Bring 3 quarts of pure water to a boil turn off the heat throw in 3-4 cups of chopped black stem mint. Slap on the lid and let it steep 10-15 minutes strain through a SS wire mesh sieve. Add 3/4 cup honey stir to mix and fill to the top with icecubs. Stir again and serve over ice. Yum! We drink this all summer long.

15. Jessica says:

My fav. is a nice tall glass of purified spring water. Now that’s refreshing.

16. Dawn B says:

Hmm, my favorite is probably watermelon juice. But I also like mint or peach tea with honey and over ice.
    Right now I’m having an urge to try watermelon and rosemary juice…blame it on pg hormones, but it sounds really yummy right now.

17. andy reed says:

This is the best video I have viewed from Renegade so far. I am really into wild foods as well. Live off the grid!!
    Keep this stuff coming. Awesome!!
    Love Katrina Blair NRG!!
    bless!!
    andy

This is my favorite early summer smoothie:
    Delicious alkalizing anti-inlfammatory, anti-oxidant, oxygenating hyrdrating RAW! WILD GREENS! Smoothie idea for breakfast or snack:
    Wild Lettuce, Water Cress, Nettle, Dandelion leaf and flowers, Violet leaf and flowers
    FILL!! the vitamix with wild greens!
    2 medium Shitake
    Reishi Powder 1 tbsp
    small piece raw turmeric
    1-2 bananas or 4-6 soaked dates, prunes
    2 cup blueberries and or strawberries
    Chlorella and Spirulina powder (2 tbsp)
    1 tsp Kelp powder
    1/2 cup soaked raw cashews (optional)

Fill after all ingredients added to 2/3 level with healthy water.

Nourish, Jai Sreetaram!

18. Sonya V says:

Oh my goodness!! I live near Durango and recently attended a “sustainable life practices” class at Fort Lewis given by Katrina. I was shocked to open my email from you, as I do every day, and see her there! I was just thinking the other day that you guys should come down here after you left Boulder. Anyhow….my favorite summer drink is watermelon juice!

19. Mary says:

Huh?
    As usual, the loudest, clearest part of the program was the blaring roar of the blender and Kevin’s voice. All else was vocal mumblings too far away from the mic to discern. sorry.

Who was the guest and what sort of plant and/or berries was she throwing into the blender? Anything else? Sweetener? Filtered water? Was that plant a weed or is it cultivated? Was it the stalk, the leaves or the berries she used to make the….concoction. The people were taking tiny sips. How did it taste? Did it taste like lemonade? Why is it called lemonade?

20. Kathryn says:

Hi.

I’m a vegetarian, slowly transitioning to veganism.

I make most, if not all my smoothies with soymilk. However, I’ve heard that rice and almond milk is better. What’s wrong with soy?

21. Dede says:

The sound was just fine on my computer – and I could understand everything said. Great show – Dede

22. christine says:

watermelon in the vitamix (seeds and all – especially seeded is better) with lots of ice and a squeeze of lime. no need to strain it.

23. Marijana says:

Melon smoothie, celery juice, green smoothie with polen……. I have to much stuff that comes to my mind and I can’t decide which I like the best. LOL

24. Donna Chapman says:

Cold Watermelon Juice rind and all – its sweet but it doesn’t mess with my hypoglycemia

25. Donna Chapman says:

Rhus trilobata also known as squaw bush or skunk bush Berries are bright red when ripe and have a tart taste similar to lemons. Ripen late summer to early fall. Has a multitude of medicinal uses as an herb as well.

26. Jo Beck says:

My favourite summer drink is so boring but you did ask for my favourite. It is mineral water, ice and a couple of slices of lemon. I drink glasses and glasses of this when sat out in the sun. I love for the sun to shine on the lemon for a while as it is just a simple but fabulous experience. Obviously the water has to be in a glass, plastic just not the same!

Thanks for your show,

Jox

27. Susan Bessette says:

I would be afraid of foraging without supervision. Maybe I could take some samples to the local VaTech extension office.
    My favorite drink is crushed mint in water, spiked with lemon.
    I take mint from the garden, (4-6 inch stalks with leaves) roll it in my palms to crush the leaves but have them still attached. Put those in a pitcher and fill with water. Add a hint of lemon. All day refreshment!

28. lisa says:

I love cold watermelon blended with lime, very refreshing!

29. carol giambri says:

Can we get a copy of this precious recipe that was hard to understand. Thanks. As suggestion: maybe recipe below the demo if possible. Thanks. Great videos always.

carol, Boulder, CO…where you may be moving?? If so, I expect to see ya at our fab. rawlucks. You will love them!! You already met some of our clan this past week.

30. Sherri says:

I make what I call grren drink. It’s pretty straight forward. I take as much greens as my 800 watt blender can handle, these being both domestic, and wild greens from around the house, and garden, also in that green mix is mint, we have six different kinds growing here, one of them wild. pour water over it, blend it until very smooth, then strain it through a paint straining bag “cheap ;)” and drink, no sugars of any kind. It is so refreshing with the mint, wow, it is yummy! It’s very green, and very wonderful on a hot day in the garden.

31. zyxomma says:

Favorite summer drink is water with slices of cucumber. I let it sit in the fridge till it’s cold. Sometimes I use lime and cuke. Leave the peel on the cucumber! For all of you who couldn’t make out the audio, the berries are from wild sumac; another favorite summer drink. I pick them every time I go hiking or camping. Yum, yum! Health and peace, all!

32. Mary says:

Green Tea and Lemon grass cooled to make iced tea. With just a touch of honey.
    I would love to learn to use all of the things that grow around us like she does. How impressive. Oh, to know so much.

33. Will says:

Sumac-ade, Sumac-tea, lots of online articles.

Sumac trees (note: not poison sumac, which is not related, and I’m very allergic to poison ivy) are abundant on the side of the road this is a great “pink lemonade” recipe.

The sumacs in the summer produce clusters of crimson fuzzy red berries, wait until they are bright/deep red, and do not harvest after a hard rain. Harvest several of the clusters, and rinse them briefly. Then put the berries in COLD (not hot) water, stir mash them a bit, and let sit for 1-2 hours. You’ll know it’s ready because the red of the berries will have turned the water pink. Strain it through a cheese cloth or coffee filter (little plant hairs come off of the berries), sweeten to taste, and serve over ice. It has a lemony yet “wild” taste to it.

Enjoy!

34. Bridey says:

Mmmmmmmmm! Yummy! Oh yay, and thanks for making me even more “homesick” for my hometown Durango, CO.! There is some good hiking back there by Turtle Lake! We use to go rock climing/hiking and find crystals in the rocks. Happy Travels!!!

35. alice says:

cucumber juice with lemon and agave (or honey) blended with some water, divine!!!

36. CINDY says:

STEPS I TAKE TO MAKE A LEMON DRINK
    1. TAKE A LEMON OFF MY TREE IF I DO NOT HAVE ANY MY NEIGHBOR DOES (THE LEMONS ARE THE SIZE OF AN ORANGE)
    2.CUT THE LEMON IN HALF, AN SQUEEZE THE JUICE OUT, IN A GLASS
    3.TAKE A SPOON AND SWIRL IT AROUND THE LEMON TO GET THE REST OF THE JUICE
    4.FILL WITH A GLASS OF WATER AND DRINK
    5.PLAIN AND SIMPLE TO KEEP THE BODY ALKALINE.

37. Cherry Tye says:

I’m with Cindy except that I use a touch of stevia. Call me soft I guess. Nothing fancy but I just love it.

Another tasty one is 4 apples and half a lemon. You can juice them while leaving skin on lemon or you can toss it into a vita mix. I prefer the juicing.

Also…. 4C grapes 1C figs (stems removed)
    1 C cold water 1/2 tsp vanilla extract touch of anise or cinnamon 2C ice cubes if you want it slushy. Puree grapes first then toss in everything else. Throw in ice last if you want it.

Kind of sweet but I like it in the summer for a pick me up.

38. Looks great! In summer days it is essential to drink lots of water and drinks. You can also take those fruits which are full of water.
    Sophia Williams.

39. Sydni says:

Iced tea, lemonade without sugar, and coconut water with lemon juice squeezed and mixed in it.Thank, you, Sydni.

40. fresh watermelon juice is one of my favorites, along with lemon & alkaline water with a touch of sweetener. I really do enjoy a tall glass of pure H2O.

41. Nadia says:

Sound was fine on my computer as well. 2 drinks for summer that we have a lot. First cucumber strawberry water – slice 4 strawberries and about 8 slices of cucumber in a pitcher of water. Second is a cayenne cooler made from water, ice, honey and cayenne pepper blended in a blender. Yum Yum

42. Trista says:

My favorite is healthy root beer. I make it with a tincture I buy from theherbalist.com (I buy it in their Seattle store, and you might have to call if you don’t see it online). The tincture is called “Root” Beer and made of Sasparilla, Sassafras and Oregon Grape Root. You just mix about 30-50 drops with seltzer water and dark agave for a delicious and pretty healthy soda! It is an occasional treat.

43. Jennifer says:

Kevin,

Is it detrimental on our cellular structure to go back and forth from eating raw foods to eating cooked vegan foods? I am always concerned when I do have cooked foods after eating raw for a few days. I am not yet ready to go raw 100% or even 80% at this point. Any clarity?

44. Linda says:

I couldn’t understand what berries she is using. Can we have a typed recipe?

45. devilchasnme says:

watermelon juice with my juiceman juicer!