Difference Between Brewer’s Yeast and Nutritional Yeast – The Renegade Health Show Epsiode #315

Monday May 25, 2009 | BY |

What’s the difference between Nutritional Yeast and Brewer’s Yeast?

This video will explain it.

I’ll also talk about if you can eat nutritional yeast when you have candida.

Your question of the day: What do you use nutritional yeast or brewer’s yeast for?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

1. Nina says:

It’s a strange synchronicity because just yesterday I bought nutritional yeast for the first time, because I wanted to try the raw popcorn recipe. I was also wondering if I could incorporate it into my food because I’m trying to get rid of candida. I bought a whole food brand of nutritional yeast and it said it was candida free, so I assumed it was safe. I’m glad to see you answered my question! I like the taste of nutritional yeast on the cauliflower, although I haven’t tried it in anything else yet.

2. Tara Burner says:

First, glad you were enlightened during Boulder Boulder (10K run for those who don’t know)

and as far as me…I use nutritional yeast on raw spaghetti squash and also on broccoli similar to how Philip did the cauliflower a few days ago (which I so want to try but still fasting) so, when that’s over I’ll be trying it on cauliflower too :)

Happy Memorial Day!

3. Pam says:

cheesy kale chips with Nut Yeast!!! Yum!

4. Harmony says:

I use nutritional yeast in many things, like my nut cheeses and even some sweet faux cheesecake, and for a cashew cream cheese sauce. oh ya, I make alot of cheesy things :)

5. Harmony says:

oh, I forgot. On kale chips w/some herbs, dang good!

6. jamie says:

I use nutritional yeast or brewers yeast for FLAVOR, as in Philip’s cauliflower popcorn recipe. Thanks for clarifying we can use a little bit even with candida since the strain is cooked, and thus not active but stil full of nutrients.

7. Jalil says:

Hey Guys,

Thanks for answering my question.

The reason I asked, is because of your Raw popcorn episode the other day. I have brewers yeast already, but the recipe you guys made asked for nutritional yeast. I wanted to know if I could use one or the other.

Oh, and good job Kevin on saying my name correctly, very impressed :)

8. Ali says:

How do you use Nutrional Yeast? On what, in what?

9. Thank you for bringing up yeast as a subject.

It seems Gabriel Cousens does not recommend yeast because it is a “fungus” or microform.
    Do I have this right? We have been avoiding it for this reason. Dr. Young is extremely against it as he tells us all fungi are acidifying. According to Young, yeast and their by products switch on the composting (or break down) process in our bodies.

Can you sort this out for us? Thanks so much. This is a question that has been haunting us and our Salem raw food group.

Darielle Richards
    Salem OR

10. diane West says:

Hi Kevin,Annmarie!!!!! I used nutritional yeast for a long time because I just love the cheezy taste, But then I got a face flush from eating too much, because i loved the taste so much I use to do too much of it, and I got a reaction on my face, other people had this very same reaction, we think it was do to too much niacin, so that what they call a niacin flush. Needless to say, I shyed away from it for quite a while. I still remember how good it tasted . Oh well!!! Diane

11. CS says:

I use brewer’s yeast only on fluid foods, things that can absorb it and mask the flavor, of which I’m not too fond. Sauces like spaghetti sauce, cream sauce, hummus, soups, smoothies, gravy, etc.

But I also occasionally put some on ice cream–again, not for the flavor, but the nutrition.

Maybe it’s sort of a justification–you know, like people who drink diet drinks with their fat-laden burgers and fries. :)

12. Sasha says:

Nutritional Yeast. I use it on, umm, everything.
    I don’t think that many days go by without it,except when we run out and then everybody is sad until it is time to buy more.
    We also make rawmesan with it, we use cashews instead of walnuts.
    Cashews, nut. yeast and a pinch of sea salt in the coffee grinder and my “pizza and beer” friend begs me to send some home with him every time I see him.

13. Susan says:

I made the raw popcorn!! It is delicious…now just to keep it on hand…I made 2 heads of califlower and it gone…gone …gone!

Susan : )

14. Rosie says:

What do you suggest for someone who has Tourettes Syndrome

15. Elaine says:

Another great show, Kevin and Annmarie!
    I use nutritional yeast for the flavor – cheesy – and more than that, for the B vitamin boost it gives me. Since B is water soluble, I need it every day so I keep Nutritional Yeast handy in my cabinet. BTW, the “raw popcorn” was wonderful!! Got a bag in my frig right now!

16. Dr Rona says:

Hi AnnMarie and Kevin

Boulder is a cool place…a lot like Cambridge, MA but with mountains!
    A cool vibe for sure.

Too bad u’r not here in Ventura or I would help AnnMarie and her thrown out back.

I dig nutritional yeast and use it in soups on veggies and on kale chips (mmm)

Happy COloROdO’ing and hope to see you again

Lotsa Love Beaming…
    xo
    Dr Rona

17. Gavin says:

I use nutritional yeast when i blend nut sauces for use on kelp noodles for an alfredo-ish dish!

current creation =

pine nuts + mac nuts
    garlic clove + onion
    salt + nutritional yeast + some other stuff (lemon juice/water/spices etc..)

i keep learning more n more each day thx!!!

18. Susan says:

I use it on everything!! Love the Kale chips recipe you made a while back…I do 10 heads of Kale at a time….

Susan : )

19. Corrinne says:

Hi Kevin and Annemarie
    I ordered the nutritional yeast after watching making popcorn with it. Can’t wait to make it! After watching today’s show, I’ll go lite and not eat too much at one time.

20. Rosie says:

what do you suggest for tourettes syndrome…42 yr. old stays in his room….can you please help!!
    Thanks Rosie

21. Kristi says:

I love to use Nutritional Yeast to make an onion/chive and cheese sauce to dip fresh veggies in. My 2 year old loved it the other day and my husband begged for more. Also it is good in asian salad dressings! How do you all make Kale chips?

22. Thanks so much for this great show! I am aware that Dr. Cousens & Dr. Young don’t believe in using Nutritional or Brewer’s yeast. I stayed away from it for a long time, but have recently begun using it in small amounts very occasionally. I do enjoy its flavor and knowing that I’m getting a natural form of B12 and other B Vitamins. I’m reversing 43 years of Type 1 Diabetes, but haven’t noticed any negative effects on my blood sugars. I also keep very close track of how much yeast my body is expelling (due to my bloodsugars), and can’t say that I’ve noticed a greater output after usign the yeasts. Thanks again for this great informatino. I sent my hubby the raw cauliflower recipe and we’re going to make it this week. Thanks so much!

23. Andrea says:

Sprouted and cultured nut cheese with herbs and nutritional yeast. . . yum!

24. Mary says:

My son is allergic to yeast. I haven’t even heard of eating it (pretty new to this). We need to try the cauliflower recipe for him. What do you do for someone who has lots of allergies (>60) and is on a rotation diet?

25. Never tried nutritional yeast. Sounds interesting.
    You mentioned that it’s an excellent source of B vitamins.
    Does it contain vit B12?

BTW: I like the new site. Very cool. :-)

26. Laureen says:

I’m wondering the same thing as Darielle! Dr. Gabriel Cousen’s says to avoid all yeast (even in baked goods). I recently started reading ‘Rainbow Green Live-Food Cuisine.’ I’m still trying to digest what he says. It is turning my world upside-down! I’m feeling very intimidated by it all, but at the same time, I’m very interested in it. How much do you follow Dr. Cousen’s recommendations?

Thanks for these daily videos! :)

27. Adam says:

Funions!!!! I use nutritional yeast in the breading that goes on dehydrated onions that I make. I also put it in burger recipes and cheeze style creations.

28. Brian says:

I sometimes eat a small amount of nutritional yeast standalone.

I’m wondering. Are the B12 in nutritional yeast likely to be analogues?
    Because some of the vitamins were given the name niacin or riboflavin, would they be added?

In my experience, eating organic foods (as opposed to conventional foods) can lower your appetite. For example, when I switched to organic nuts from non-organic nuts, I noticed that I didn’t have to eat as much. I used eat far too much of those less healthy nuts and I always craved for more.

29. Joseph says:

I use Nutritional Yeast infrequently.
    Really do not use it much anymore.
    Was using it more when I was cooking stuff like vegan pizza and maybe on rice.

30. Debbie Gordon says:

I haven’t used nutritional yeast in the last 2 years that I have been 100% raw BUT………..MMMMMM…. that popcorn recipe that you had on the other day was so good that I have had 4 batches of it since I saw the show. YUM! So now I will be using nutritional yeast and I suppose I will no longer be 100% raw :) That’s ok.

31. Mia Dalene says:

I don’t eat nutritional yeast. I go for the live versions of Vitamin B; in Incan berries and Blue-Green algae, etc.

Thanks for defining the difference between nutritional yeast and brewers yeast. When I did eat them, I found the taste to be very different so interesting to me they are essentially the same (if I understood your comments today).

32. Yvonne says:

I’m really, really glad to see the difference between the two, kinds of yeast. I have also been wondering.

I have made a lot of Yeasty Spread, which is a basic a cashew mayonnaise with lots of Nutritional Yeast put in and stirred really well or blended. Add enough yeast to make a very thick spread. I also use it the the Sesame Cheese Sauce, soups and have just recently found the Kale Chips, which is fantastic.

Nutritional Yeast is also wonderful sprinkled on fresh, sliced peaches.

Our dogs and cats really like it too, especially on popcorn which is a thing of the past.

33. andrea leigh martin says:

I have acne and have been eating raw for a while. It is mild acne, but I cant get rid of it. Please, please, please help me.

Thank-you very much!

34. Pamela Holt says:

Boulder is an amazing city. If we were not so rooted in So. Calif. we would so be there. Great vibes beautiful scenery and amazing people. I am so inspired by your online book and the daily webcasts, I just got my first canister of nutritional yeast & I’m making the cauliflower “popcorn” for my guests for Memorial Day.

35. andrea leigh martin says:

Sorry I know i didnt respond to the question of the day, but I thought i’d give it a shot asking you how to improve my pimples. Oh and what is candidia and how do you know if you have it?

THANKS!!!

36. Geri says:

I love nutritional yeast! Yummy! I also made the ‘raw popcorn’ and ate the whole thing myself!
    I am originally from Colorado (now live on Maui) and Boulder is beautiful! But I must say, too bad you and Annmarie cannot drive here!

37. Heather says:

This may sound silly, but I use nutritional yeast for my cistern on the island where I live. Cisterns are like septic tanks, but can’t be pumped, so you really have to live an eco-friendly life with a cistern.

We can’t flush anything that might inhibit the breakdown of the “stuff” in the cistern (like bleach or other chemicals)…but nutritional yeast makes it break down and since it’s all natural, it’s a great fit for eco-friendly living!

I don’t eat it because my understanding is that people with candida can be sensitive to it…while I no longer have candida, I haven’t been brave enough to experiment with it yet! :)

38. andy reed says:

Just wanted to make a comment on hunger….for me a great thing to curb my hunger is microalgae!!, esp. in my morning smoothie, at least a heaping tablespoon, and sprouts!!, esp lentil sprouts in every meal really fills me up and gives me lasting nourishment. Also I always have a pumpkin seed, nut and dried fruit mix with me at all times

39. carol giambri says:

Sorry short notice for your arrival to Boulder, but hoping next time more as I lead and plan rawlucks. http://www.egroups.com, BoulderRaw.

Just getting into cheese making and yes to nutritional yeast. I see Philip gave us teaser for popcorn using same so I now have more than one reason to buy nutritional yeast.

Boulder, CO looked cloudy today and being 15 mins. away I thought skip the Festival and did.

So you are thinking on a move to Boulder, CO? I may have a house sitter. Not me. RAW is rawking here for years.

40. Patrick says:

I Rarely comment But felt the need Too to help others clear up some stuff…

I strongly advocate Gabriel cousins and Brian clement.(hippocrates) reserach and knowledge..I feel they are the top tier Nutrional experts in the USA…
    Read there books…. Lifeforce is excellent..If you don’t need to use nutrional yeast to consume Living whole food,,Do NOT..
    And If you do not need to use CASHEWS to consume whole living foods ..DO NOT..
    Peanuts @Cashews are classified as detrimental to health..
    There alot of other great nuts..try them out in Moderation..Soaking first if possible..
    Thanks for reading.. Knowledge is power!
    Peace:=)

41. CO says:

Sorry to hear about your back, Annmarie!

I actually don’t use either nutritional or brewer’s yeast. I was using nutritional yeast for a while but realized it triggers migraines for me (even a small amount) so there’s something in there that my body clearly does not approve of!

42. Sharon says:

I rarely use nutritional yeast but when I was eating cooked foods it was a staple for the soup base. I just use Himalaya salt and herbs and spices for flavor although I’d like to try the kale chips everyone is raving about.

I used to give brewer’s yeast to my dogs years ago. It prevents fleas from being attracted to them. My current dog is not vaccinated and very healthy and has never had brewer’s yeast or fleas. Today she had watermelon, LOL (she eats raw and dehydrated meat as her main diet). I suppose if you don’t mess up their immune system and feed them right, they stay healthy. Surprise, surprise!

43. Sherri says:

Nutritional yeast is really good sprinkled on thinly sliced sweet onions, with a little bit of celtic sea salt. Dry them at 110 degrees for 24 hours, or until they are crispy. This is very good crumbled on salads, used as seasoning in other recipes, but I like to snack on them alone. They kinda remind me of one of my favorite junk food no-nos Funions. Thanks for the information, it’s always a blessing.

44. Michael T. says:

Here is a good article about yeast:

Nutritional yeast is a good source of protein and vitamins. However, most of the B-vitamins are added to the yeast. Yeast does not contain B-12, unless it has been added. If it has been added, it would be the human active form.

Nutritional yeast tastes much better than brewer’s yeast. Brewer’s yeast is a by-product of the beer industry, and has a strong, unpleasant flavor.

The yeast flakes I get in bulk at the health food store have some B vitamins added, but not B-12. I take B-12 as a separate supplement.

I enjoy yeast flakes mostly on cooked foods, such as rice and veggies. I eat some cooked and some raw foods.

The type of yeast that is made into nutritional yeast is completely different from candida, and should not cause any problems in the body. I don’t see how nutritional yeast could turn on the composting button, since it is not living.

You would more likely get a composting reaction if you ate over-ripe fruits, such as grapes that have started to go bad. Over-ripe fruits have living yeast in them, and can give you lots of burps as the yeast ferments in your stomach. Partially fermented fruit can cause abdominal discomfort as it rapidly passes through your body. I don’t believe it causes any lasting harm, just temporary bloating and gas.

To avoid taking live yeast into your system, don’t eat fruits such as apples, pears and grapes, which have yeast on their skins. Or, peel your apples. You could also try soaking them in hydrogen peroxide water to kill the yeast on their skins.

Of course, we all ingest some live yeast every day. If you walk in the forest or any natural place and breathe, you are breathing in some live yeast spores, which get in your mouth and are swallowed when you eat or drink. So you can’t totally avoid yeast, but you can minimize how much you take in.

Michael T.

45. jjbjjbh says:

Does anyone have the link from the show with the kale chips recipe??

Also, has anyone been having problems with the cauliflower popcorn video??
    I have tried to watch it several times and evry time it sort of gets stuck right after he puts the cauliflower in the plastic bag. I would appreciate if someone can shed light on what he does after that. LOL.

Also, the kale chips recipe would be nice to know. Thanks.

46. Linda says:

Hi Annmarie & Kevin,

Annmarie, I hope your back feels better soon!

This was a good episode. I needed to know the difference between brewer’s and nutritional yeasts also.

I’m also curious as to how to make the kale chips. Could you please let us know what episode that was on? I would LOVE to try to make them for myself and some friends.

Thanks again for everything.

47. Marijana says:

Hi guys!

I just made raw nut cheese with nutritional yeast. I do not use it very often but I like to have it once in a while.

Never tried Brewer’s yeast.

Can’t wait to try raw popcorns! I think I’ll make them this week.

Ps. Annmarie, I hope your back gets better!

48. Didiydi says:

Hey guys,
    I have candida and nutritional yeast seriously triggered it a while ago. Please do some more research Kev, because I heard that even though the yeast is dead, it will still trigger candida that will react on dead spores. One of the worst things for my candida is bread with yeast (baked).
    I tried to follow Cousens’ Rainbow Green, but found his Phase 1 anti-candida diet too restrictive and difficult to follow (and I did try my best for 3 months); and most of the recipes too bland for my taste.
    About being hungry- could it be that the body needs time to start adjusting to new nutrients? Lot of people eat nuts during transition phase and then slowly wean themselves of it.

49. Dave Haith says:

Hi! I’m probably the only person from the UK writing here where we can’t get nutritional yeast for love nor money!
    Even web companies won’t ship it.
    For this reason I’m using my email here
    visions1@talktalk.net in case anybody knows a UK source.
    I’m a month into raw, have lost nine pounds and feel fine.
    But I find a lot of recipes too fiddly or complex to deal with and many of ingredients I can’t find.
    And what’s this about fungi being bad?
    I enjoy raw mushrooms in salads -is this verboten? And peanuts? I know they are not really nuts but legumes – but what’s wrong with eating them?
    How about a question and answer forum Kevin – or is this it?
    So much knowledge out there from ordinary folk – ask Wikipedia!
    Love and Rainbows
    Dave

50. I use it a lot as a flavor inhacer. Sprinkled on salads, in soups, smoothies, and the like. One of my favorite uses is in a recipe I call Not So Cheese. Annmarie, you aught to like this one. It’s good as a dip, sauce over veggies, or on kale chips or other dehydrated crackers and such.

Not So – Cheese Sauce

2 Tbsps. lemon juice
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1/2 tsp. mustard powder
    1/2 tsp. paprika
    1/4 tsp. tumeric
    1/4 tsp. pepper

Blend till smooth and creamy. Add more water if it is to thick. This is sooo good! Yum!
    Let me know is you like it Annmarie and Kevin.
    capremoe@yahoo.com

51. Mamabird says:

I use nutritional yeast in my cashew cream cheese dip. I also want to say that at 55 years old, my manbear and I will be buying an RV and will full time it while following the raw and craft show circuit… eating raw and selling our crafts. What a wonderful life! Warm and Cozy Blessings to you both, Mamabird

52. Laura says:

Please put the following question to rest in my mind. Does Nutritional Yeast have MSG. It is so yummy that I am inclined to think it does. I know many raw foodist who use it, even one who has a raw food restaurant. I have researched it before and some sites say yes and others just don’t address it. By the way when you come in town please feel free to drop by GWAH Healing Way Institute. It is a small center in Pembroke Pines, FL. I am the VP and we transition people to the raw/living foods lifestyle. No strings attached. We will treat you to a raw food meal at a restaurant of a friend of ours (Your wife too.) It would be my honor Namaste Laura

53. Rhonda D says:

Episode #187 is the place to fine the kale chips.

Love the show and as always thank you for doing such a great job informing us.

54. Kaylani says:

Don’t use nutritional or brewers yeast. I thought it was NOT included in a raw living foods diet.

55. Lois Kubota says:

Funny, I was avoiding the popcorn video because I am allergic to corn. Duh, of course it’s not popped corn, that would be cooked.

Yes I use nutritional yeast, especially for my kale chips and whenever I need a cheesy taste. It may not be the best thing for you, but I can think of worse things!

56. Cynthia says:

Aloha,

Thanks for the show!
    Sorry to hear you hurt your back Annmarie, rest and be well!
    I do use Nutritional yeast, but I do experience migranes and joint pain when I eat it!
    I was also wondering if it is considered an MSG ingredient? I know alot of people that do have reactions to it also.
    I do love the flavor but my body does not like it.

It would be great if you could come to Hawaii?

Warm Aloha’s
    Cynthia

57. Chris Giambra says:

I just used nutritional yeast for the first time this past weekend. Made raw popcorn and loved it. My 3 and 6 yr old boys loved it too. It almost tasted like cheese.(I think, its been a few years.) You guys are the best. Peace.

58. sheree says:

I use nooch on everything. just love this stuff.

59. Cindy says:

Thanks for the information on Nutritional yeast…I too was confused regarding that vs. brewers yeast.

i just bought some and have sprinkled it on salads and dishes for the flaver and i wasn’t aware of all the B vitamins. YEAH
    another great episode.
    THANKS

ps i tried to focus on my “core” while jogging on the treadmill today…. lots of good information on running too.

60. Steve says:

Annmarie should look at Dr. Sarno for her back problems
    Had a bad back for years until I read his books.
    Too much stress

61. I trust what Dr. Cousens says as well.
    Cousens writes very comprehensive books on food and lifestyle,
    for people that are having questions about cashews, peanuts, etc.
    In one of his books Cousens mentions how Bragg’s Liquid Aminos does not contain MSG, and that the people that make it wouldn’t want to hurt their customers. However, heating it seems to cause some conversion to MSG. Some people have an MSG reaction. Maybe the same thing happens to the yeast when it is cooked, there is a conversion to MSG. I have a bag of Brewer’s Yeast. I hate to see things go to waste. If anyone wants to pay for postage only, I’ll mail it. (I live in Canada).
    Thanks for so many helpful episodes Kevin and Anne Marie.
    Jennifer

• Kevin Gianni Kevin Gianni says:

Just want to chime in on the MSG issue. Nutritional/brewers yeast is different than yeast extracts. Yeast extracts are known to have high levels of MSG due to processing and are added as flavorings in many processed foods. Nutritional yeast does not have the same processing. The process of producing yeast extract is with enzymes and fermentation of the yeast which breaks down the food into simpler compounds, one of them being MSG. The research I’ve found and people I’ve talked to on MSG and nutritional yeast is summed up just like every other bit of research I’ve done. One camp says yes it contains it and it’s bad. Another says it doesn’t contain it and it’s not bad and the final says that it does contain naturally occurring glutamic acid and that that’s not bad. (I do want to note that natural glutamic acid is present in some of our foods and in fact is beneficial for sugar cravings and treatment of chronic fatigue among other things… )

So as you all know…

Try it for yourself. Don’t use too much. See if it works. If it doesn’t, don’t eat it. If it does, then keep using it until it doesn’t work… (and keep getting tested!)

62. Mary says:

I just learned to use nutritional yeast flakes–in moderation–to make raw “parmesan” cheese (walnuts, sunflower seeds and sea salt.) It’s great as a sprinkling atop Ani Phyo’s zucchini noodles with marinara sauce. Today, I had a little left over and sprinkled about a tsp. on a bowl of greens that were dressed simply with apple cider vinegar and organic extra virgin olive oil. (Ordinarily that salad would include avocado, but I’m still waiting for some stubborn ones to get ripe.) Yummy.
    I’ve not used nutritional yeast in making my cheeziest kale chips, but might try a bit.
    BTW, in case someone doesn’t know this: To ripen avocados, put them in a brown paper bag and place it on top of the refrigerator. The warmth from the fridge’s fan and the darkness of the bag will form a little “gas” that ripens them. Keep checking them until they’re soft enough to eat.
    Thanks for clearing up the Brewer’s vs. Nutritional question. I had no idea it was cooked. Hmmmm.

63. Trickster says:

I use brewer’s yeast for brewing mead (honey wine). I can’t imagine anyone wanting to eat the stuff because it tastes terrible, kind of like a cross between soap and puke. It takes several months for it to settle out of the brew which then tastes awesome. FWIW, I use raw unprocessed organic honey and organic fruit. Also I don’t heat the must (honey and water) so it’s all raw.

64. Penny says:

Hi Kevin and Annamarie

I love all your tips and advice.
    Also love seeing the scenery around USA.

Thank you for telling us about about real food.

I live on a Greek island and am unable to get
    some of the products you talk about.
    The vegetables here still taste like they used to in UK (where I am from)

I love all your daily videos

65. Victoria says:

Rosie,
    for someone who has Tourettes Syndrome:

go to http://www.CenterIMT.com
    as they can do amazing things treating tourettes, autism, various learning disabilities, stroke, as well as other conditions that affect any part of the body from organ (like the brain or heart) to a total body system (such as the circulation, glandular or digestive systems) or muscle or bone or connective tissue. The Bloomfield, CT office is the headquarters of the work and the school, but there are offices acros the country and abroad.
    Victoria

66. Beth says:

IF I eat quinoa, I’ll mix some olive oil and NUTRITIONAL YEAST in it with some Nama Shoyu – just a little bowl of it “hits the spot” and then I’m back to 100% raw the next day.

67. Phillippia Faust says:

How is quinoa prepared?

Thanks

68. James Buechler says:

Hey! I watched the vid and got my cauli (kaliflower, ha-ha); i ate it for two out of the last four days; each day i woke up and went through a LOT of kleenex. Might give the yeast to my neighbor.

69. Jo Beck says:

No I do not use nutritional or brewers yeast.

One thing I would like to add to the question from the 17 year old who still feels hungry. Are they feeling hungry or empty? I feel there is a difference. As raw food does not hang around like the cooked food so one can feel hungry when really they are just not used to having the emptier feeling from the raw food.

I apologise if this was already answered or commented on but kids going mad and just don’t have time to read all comments. I am a busy Mom!

70. Helen says:

Hi Kevin, thanks for letting us know the difference between yeast extract and nutritional yeast. I do not use nutritional or brewers yeast because of negative things I have read. If nutritional yeast does have naturally occurring glutamic acid, it would be easy to test, I would think. What is the difference between naturally occurring glutamic acid and MSG anyways? I guess you just have to weigh the benefits versus the harm, after all we can get B vitamins from elsewhere. I am supposing it is safe to use on occasion. About bragg Liquid Aminos, I avoid it because I read information about that product containing MSG, soy protein and enzymes on an ingredient list could mean that MSG is created during processing. I wonder what you think of this Kevin. Also I was surprised with a couple of comments above about cashews, I thought cashews are very healthy?

71. tina says:

Hi Guys,
    I made your fresh cauliflower cheesy popcorn that doesn’t make it to
    the dehydrator, and for three days I had constant cramping in my stomach and on the seccond day terrible flatulance.

Could that have been the cauli or the cheesy flakes. both were new for my stomach.

72. Suri says:

I use brewers yeast in nutmilk. It adds bulk, nutrition, and flavor.
    Question: I saw a breakdown of nutrtional value of brewers yeast and it said hydrogenated oil! Where can I find out more about this?

73. Octomom says:

I love the taste of nutritional yeast! I use it on roast beef to enhance the flavor.

74. Katherine says:

I have been trying to eat more organic and recently saw nutritional yeast flakes so I got some. I used to use it as “cheese” for my allergic son. My question… CAN you eat too much a day? How much is recommended daily?

75. Colleen says:

I’ve loved eating 2/3 cup Nutritional Yeast daily stirred into my raw veggie salad (celery, tomatillos, cucumbers,onions, okra…etc) with chia seeds, dried parsley and ground herbs with water). But after reading it is high in selenium content (which can cause hair to fall out), I have cut back to 1/3 cup…hoping my hair will stop falling out. Has anyone else had a similar reaction to eating (a “large serving” of) Nutritional Yeast?

76. Stacey Schwartz says:

I put the “nooch” in many things, including veggie loaf, soups, sauces, gravies and best of all, POPCORN!

I use olive oil and sea salt, pop the corn in a heavy pan on med high heat, crisp it up, then toss the crispy kernels in clarified butter and about an 1/8th cup of nutritional yeast. I’ve converted a couple friends onto it.

I use the nooch for energy. It eliminates excessive sugar cravings and best for last, my digestive tract is much happier since I introduced the nooch into my diet.

77. Christine says:

I use teh Brewers Yeast for my cats for the fles, and for a healthy coat…

Thanks

78. Sherri says:

I love your youtube videos and find them very helpful thank you!.
    I use Nutritional Yeast in place of cheese on pasta dishes and I
    use it generously when I make scrambled tofu for breakfast.
    I just went from Lacto vegetarian to vegan as of January and find it
    is very helpful when I am wanting a cheesy taste.

79. Jozie says:

I love nutritional yeast on Popcorn & pasta. Just found out my son is allergic to Yeast, can he still have Nutritional Yeast?

80. Suze Benzing says:

just tried yeast on Ezeikel bread. On the eat for you blood type diet. can raw foods and the diet be combined?

thanks, Suze

81. Janice says:

I just tried NOW brand brewers yeast in a zucchini hummus recipe. The container says “reduced bitterness” but the taste is a still a little off. Does nutritional yeast have a better taste when used in recipes?

82. I was raised putting brewers yeast on popcorn and have always loved it.

83. Tess says:

Brewer’s Yeast: I use in Smoothies… and also give to my pets — pup & 2 kitties!! When my daughters were babies (early 1980s) I added to their homemade (Adelle Davis) formula!!

84. Coleen says:

there is little or no B12 in these yeasts…so what is a good source for us people with a B12 deficiency…

85. Ella says:

I use nutritional yeast in Kale salad with dried cranberries,pecans, EVOO, and a little agave nectar.

86. Rachel says:

Hey Kevin,
    How many miligrams of niacin in a tablespoon?
    Thanks for the video!
    Rachel Harrington

87. Rachel Harrington says:

Just saw a neat video about niacin and Abram Hoffer’s first video may be of interest to you. Here is a quote from his book I highky recomend to a healthshow producer trying to see what the truth is amoungst the junk advice, keep up the good work you have been an influence in my life vitality with your sharing of your journey, thanks brotha!

Peace and Happy Working,