How to Find the Right Running and Walking Shoes – The Renegade Health Show Episode #313

Thursday May 21 | BY |

We all assume that the shoe store owner knows what kind of shoes are best for running and walking.

But apparently, that may not always be the case!

Check out what Danny Dreyer, author of ChiRunning and ChiWalking has to say about your running and walking shoes.

You might be surprised!

Your question of the day: Where are your shoes wearing on their soles?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

To learn more about Danny and ChiRunning visit www.chirunning.com

1. barbara says:

A “one part series??”

2. Cindy says:

Wow…. perfect timing on today’s video for me…. just been working on walking and now jogging/walking on a treadmill…. my current shoes are not new but it’s what i have…they are NOT flexable at all… and I am amazed that there doesn’t seem to be any real obvious wear… a little at the ball of my feet on each shoe and a tiny bit on the outside heel. ???

I am flat footed too ( I have a colapsable arch) and need orthotics (which i need to get back in my shoe DUH)

Thanks agan for a great video…. can’t wait for part 2

3. Linda says:

I have always been a forefoot striker.

I attended one of Danny’s seminar last October 08 in San Antonio, TX….I have been running for 32 years and learned so much I have been incorporating chi running on all my runs ever since.

I ran a half marathon in San Antonio in Nov. 08 and felt as good when I finished as when I started.

Thanks for having Danny looking forward to part 2.

4. John Thornley says:

Hi Kevin,
    I see Danny likes the New Balance walking and running shoes. New Balance has been my favorite for over 25 years.

5. Tara Burner says:

hmmm my new balances are worn right about mid foot area 🙂

6. Honey says:

INCREDIBLE!

I’m buying running shoes tomorrow! The tedious hunt for a good fit, flexible, light weight shoe made me believe I was almost investing in a car or home the way I was obsessing over it. Plus, there’s also that nagging voice if your somewhat of a conscious consumer.

Here’s the link to newton shoes. The owners are athletes and numerous videos posted review the concepts of “ForeFoot Running”, tips to prevent injury, and design.

In addition their shoes are socially & ethically in the right direction.

Hope helps!

7. Peg says:

For now I am using a shoe that addresses my serious pronation–Asics Gel Kayano or Brooks. Perhaps as I lose weight, this will change. With these shoes, I can walk for considerable distances and not experience pain in shins or feet. I will read about chi running–thanks, Kevin, for this information. 🙂

8. sonja says:

Hi, this was very interesting. I always felt shoes should be flexible, but checking my running shoes they are not! They are very comfortable, no obvious wear signs, I have used them for 1 year now…My normal shoes get really worn at the heal..and not evenly!
    Guess I should learn to walk… I am flat footed so need to wear insoles for my feet..

9. natalya says:

These are exactly the principles I use to chose my running and hiking shoes and I wear them for years able to read words on the buttom.

10. on the back outside edge of the heels of my earth shoes.

11. Renee says:

Kevin,

In Ft. Worth, Texas there is a store called Ft. Worth Running Company with a treadmill and a camera on the treadmill monitoring how you run and then they recommend which shoe to purchase at their store! ~ FYI

12. I have worn a ‘new balance’ shoe for walking for the past 4 years. They seem wide enough for long distance comfort. As for wear, the ball is a bit worn and just slightly on the heel of both shoes. These shoes are almost 2 years old. I am due for a new pair, retiring these for gardening and outside work or bad weather wearing.

Thanks for the information.

13. Mary says:

Mine are worn in the front inside. I don’t run, or do much.

14. Casey says:

It’s about time I get a new pair of running shoes! Thanks for the tips, Kevin!

Casey

15. Allen says:

Mine wear on the outside back corner of the heel, and the left wears faster than the right. Under the big toe area, the left also wears faster than the right.

16. Katrina says:

Unfortunately heel ware, outside as well.

Kind funny though. I was planning on getting running shoes today but I ran out of time. Then I come home and see this video! Fate is telling me something! haha. Thanks. =)

17. mbt walking worn outside heels
    Thank you for the info.

18. jodie says:

Wow, Danny was on.

“They have to be really flexible, not like yeaaaaaaahhhggh”, LOL. Hes great isn’t he!

His book Chai running was the best thing that I found in a Jamba Juice store.

Thanks Kev.

19. Ineke says:

Hi Kevin,

My husband just got a book of Christopher McDougal called: “born to run” . It is aobut tha Tarahumara tribe in the Copper anyon in Mexico. The book presents a very interesing concept about running and especially the foot wear. A must read for anyone who is a (avid) runner

20. Hey Kevin and Annmarie!

This is timely for me… I need new shoes as I’ve put thousands of miles on mine.

Great interview and I LOVE the new look of RenegadeHealth!

🙂

Jonathan

21. Toni says:

Really helpful info! I’m glad you’re doing a part 2. Love the variety of your shows!

22. Joe says:

Wow! The main wear is on the outside heel part and very little on the outside rest of shoe on both feet.

Thanks
    Joe

23. sylvia says:

A small amount of wear on the right outside heel, noticeable wear on the left outside heel.

I live in a small town without much selection & usually end up buying mens shoes to get the width.

Thanks for the info.

24. Joe says:

Danny Dreyer mentions proper walking can prevent joint pains.
    Can you do another video illustrating the proper walking and proper landing on the feet?

Thanks
    Joe

25. Courtney says:

Great episode, Kevin! Love shows like this 🙂

26. Jes says:

My shoes are worn on the inside of the mid-section. I learned when I was young to walk quietly and quickly by playing spy games and hide n go seek with my cousin and it has always stuck. I go bare foot often.

I was born with flat feet and when I was little I remember little glass plates I was supposed to put in my shoes. They got ran over by a car when I was little and I’ve gone without ever since.

flat feet don’t seem to bother me, I wonder by people have to wear plates….

27. Teresa says:

My shoes are all worn on the outer heel, it has been that way for years. I’d gladly welcome any info as to how I can change they way I walk so I can stop doing that!

28. Joseph says:

I walking a bit odd. Most of my shoes I look at are worn evenly across the bottom front to back. Did notice the more flexible shoes I own are worn more in the front center.
    With me I am practicing running on a 10 acre field on the side of a mountain bare foot. Feels good to run barefoot. By the way the field is right outside my front door.

29. Sue Rushford says:

Outside heel – me, too.

I wore Asics Kayano Gels 2yrs then Saucany Pro-Grid Paramounts 2yrs – both had way, way too much support and cushioning for me – had iliotibial band syndrome in right knee then left knee – lost a toenail – switched to super-flexible and light-weight Nike Frees, and although they warned me I was not supposed to run more than 3 miles in them cause they’re considered training shoes, I just LOVE them – ran the Boston Marathon in them last month & my feet didn’t even hurt – I will continue to run marathons in them despite what all the experts say – no pain anywhere & I feel great afterwards – need to get another pair tho cause mine are approaching a few hundred miles by now….

30. Mary Lee says:

Dan and Kevin,
    Thanks for the info.
    My shoes are worn at the heel, more on the right outside, could this be from driving with these shoes also?

31. Dana says:

My shoes are worn on the outside heel and at the top, near my big toes. I also have flat feet. I just ran a half marathon in Oct. and bought a new pair of motion control shoes to train in. I love them! They made a huge difference for me and helped me from getting shin splints.