How Do I Know My Supplements are Being Absorbed – The Renegade Health Show Episode #303

Thursday May 7, 2009 | BY |

We get this question a lot…

“How do I know my supplements are being absorbed?”

Today, I take you through how you can figure this out! (It’s High Raw Principle #3)

Enjoy…

Your question of the day: What can you test yourself for right now?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

Here’s where you can get the book “High Raw” now… FREE!

www.gohighraw.com

PS. Here’s where you can join the inner circle only chats every thursday! Free 30 day trial! www.renegadehealthic.com

1. Mark (mississauga) says:

I use Platinum Active X multi vitamins.
    It’s in a EFA base (fish oils) that helps absorption of fat soluble vitamins. In in a soft gel.
    It has herbs (like cordycepes) and enzymes in it. It is a very unique product here in
    Canada developed with the help of Zoltan Rona

Mark
    (no affiliation to the product or company -I’ve tried USANA and other multi-s (expensive and non-expensive) , I find this works for me -gives me energy throughout the day)

2. ta says:

I can test my glucose levels. You can usually purchase a monitor for very little (sometimes there’s even a rebate). It comes with a few strips. Check your level right before and an 90 minutes to two hours after a meal. You can learn if you have high OR low blood sugar levels. See how you feel.

I’m not very good at it, but you can use muscle testing (applied kinesiology) to ask your body what it needs.

3. ida margrethe says:

Good question! I actually just came home from getting blood samples, so i reckon this western sampling will tell me if something is wrong with that. But I agree, you have to listen to your body.. hard when you dont know how, but i think all good things come to those who wait.

Sounds weird going back to your home town not having an actual HOME there! Funny too. ;]

4. Katrina says:

I’ve done a question based analysis with my nutritionist that showed levels of nutrients, toxins, and other factors (like hydration). Though I was taking high quality supplements, I wasn’t absorbing them because I was not producing enough stomach acid, and therefore the enzymes from the pancreas weren’t functioning properly.

By adding one inexpensive supplement (betaine HCL – note that this shouldn’t be taken unless you know you need it) I noticed an enormous difference in my energy and health as I was able to absorb the good stuff I was taking.

What I think is important to make clear is that if you aren’t absorbing nutrients properly, it may be because of other factors than the nutrients themselves, which is where a holistic professional is helpful.

5. Tara Burner says:

I could/should test for iron since every time I go to donate blood they deny me claiming I’m anemic.

6. dede says:

I don’t know HOW you made the camera track you like that – - but I loved it!!.it was so smooooth!..and the birds singing in the background!! That was great. OH – and yes I listened to what you were saying too :-)…hugs, Dede

7. Bogazot says:

There are simple tests to perform to tell you what the ratio’s are between mineral levels…it’s not the amount but the ratio’s between the mineral levels….would be happy to explain it to you

8. Melissa says:

What can I do if I am on a low income and have no health coverage? Are there home tests?

9. Jes says:

If I were to test for anything.. I would first write down the areas I feel defective in. .. such as; mood, arnory leg, eye sight, skin/hair… et cetra.. and then look for the corresponding elements in food and sun/air et cetra.. and then test for those. Then switch my lifestyle accordingly be it supplements, fresh air, sun, and then test again later to see if those changes have been absorbed.. and also check myself to see if my mood or other defective parts were working better. ha!

10. Your eyes and the Science of Iridology, and live blood analysis are other good measurement of finding out if your health program is working.

Sometimes medical blood tests are too general, and that’s why people seek out natural practitioner’s to help them get balanced and healthy, (because quite often the blood test results are normal). Having said that, you are absolutely right about convincing the western medical community through their language of blood tests. ;)
    You’re Awesome…Keep up the good work!!

11. Bob says:

Hi Kevin, I am a nutritional consultant with a focus on bio-chemistry. Mineral extraction from our food and supplements and the subsequent assimilation is dependent on our body chemistry – more specifically, the pH of our urine and saliva. There is a test that will identify mineral deficiencies that a person can do at home. More info on this test can be found at the following site – http://optimallivingfoods.com/content/my-thoughts-rbti

Stay Healthy!
    Bob

12. brent says:

How do I test for proper amount of “C”?

13. Susan says:

Hi Kevin,

This is off topic but I couldn’t reach you through other means. Would you contact me regarding the “flu immunity” PDFs and mp3 download?

Thanks,
    Susan :)

14. andy says:

Some spice could improve supplement absorption, i.e black pepper

15. stephanie says:

Great strategy! I would -and have an appointment with a holistic doctor finally found one fully in my health insurance-wahooo- anyway, I’m checking my mercury levels. I’ve been super concerned with this mouth full of metal from my single digit days, and knowing what the level is now, then having them removed and retesting is something I’m really looking forward to….this way my advocacy platform for removing your mercury will be way more powerful!

16. Martha says:

Kevin,
    I don’t try to speak western medicalese anymore. They usually only want one thing anyway – something that is going to fix them now. I listen to my body. Most of the time it gives me clues which i sometimes read incorrectly, however, I know how I feel and imbalances can be felt rather quickly. I muscle test myself or read my eyes (iridology) and I ask questions. For instance, I asked the question about taking MSM – if some people get headaches and a person replied that MSM can be dehydrating and so I upped the amount of water and voila I was able to take the MSM which helped me with another issue I was having. Too much Vit C can cause diarrhea, but if your body is under attack and you need it you will take a lot of Vit C before you get diarrhea. If you can afford it a metabolic blood panel can give you a lot of insight, but people without insurance may not want to consider that. By the way, if you are enemic, eating raisins and taking a chlorophyll product will help raise iron levels. I say Be your own Doctor, and know your body. Listen, really listen to what it is telling you and you can avoid the Western medical model of health, which is really not health anyway it is the disease naming model. I’ll get off my rant, but to know if your supplements are being absorbed, pay attention to how you look and feel, and also you cannot have any digestive issues because if you can’t break down your supplements and btw if you take in whole food supplements you will absorb them much better than a pill made in a lab!! So hence, that is why the raw food diet is so much better for you – your body can identify the kale vitamins you ingest a lot quicker than it does the fake vitamins you get from the grocery store.

martha

17. Bette says:

I did test for neurotransmitters/amino acids. I was found slightly deficient and got supplements and they are making a huge difference in how I feel!!!

Glad you found a spot. I was looking to see if I knew a place for the Ol Kale Whale….see you tommorow,Bette

18. Eranah says:

Hey I like the new site!! As much as people knock vitamins I do feel more energy and balance when I take them. But I also do whole food supplements and herbs too. I could test hormones, thyroid, cbc, and toxin levels (like heavy metals??) I also noticed that parasite cleanses are super inportant cause they take all of our nutrients from our food etc…yuck!

19. sonja says:

I think it would be a good idea to test for food sensitivites. I was off wheat etc for some 7 months, then started eating again, as I had treatment, and was told wheat was fine.
    But still feel something is out.

20. Eric J Shadd says:

Hey Kevin and Annmarie, the new site looks fantastic! Wonderful job and congrats on all your hard work.

During my health journey in which I have spent well in excess of $50,000 restoring my health, I have found that traditional medical testing is necessary but not sufficient. It offers a perspective but not the only one.

For example, I did Dr Ds Matrix program and it missed a whole ton of stuff. I love Dr D by the way and plan to work with him in the future as confirmation.

When it comes to conventional nutrient testing, I would use it as a data point. I also have become very very fond of NRT or Nutritional Response Testing which is an applied kinesiology protocol that is just amazing. It takes most of subjectivity out of AK techniques. I have had the best luck with NRT v conventional. There is so much that conventional testing misses.

Again, conventional is necessary and helpful, but not sufficient.

All the best, Eric

21. pat kapsak says:

You can also put the supplement you are taking (pill form ) in vinegar and if it dissolves within 20 minutes you know it is dissolving in your system as well, if not, well , then it is passed through and out of your system pretty much the same as injested !

22. Mary says:

We are treating my son biomedically for autism (heavy metal poisoning) and get him tested every 6 months or so. Every time we test, though, the dr needs to increase his supplements. He takes many supplements because he has malabsorbtion issues (like most autistic children do). He is taking 2000mg of L-carnitine/day, 4000 acetyl-l-carnitine, 25ml (?) of injectable b-12/day, 3000 mcg folinic acid, 1000mg l-lysine, just to name a few. Any ideas how we can turn this around so we don’t have to give him so much?
    He also has many food allergies and is on a rotation diet, which also causes other problems since he has been doing this for 4 years. he is 11 now and weighs 78lb.

23. Shirin says:

I am not able to view your videos any more. Can you help?

24. Elizabeth Deedrick says:

Just finished reading, in re: Bob,above 5-7-09. optimallivingfoods.com/mythoughts-RBTI I recomend “Everyone” read “Choose Life or Death” by Dr. Reams and Cliff Dudley at this site. Tells about testing and balance in your body that is life saving!

25. Nancy says:

Hi Kevin,
    Lanolin is not more humane than fish oils. Lanolin usually comes from slaughtered sheep, especially male lambs.

26. Patti says:

I really enjoyed your talk, thank you!