Sticking to a High Raw Food Diet – The Renegade Health Show Episode #300

Monday May 4 | BY |

Since this is a special week (we’re celebrating 300 episodes!), I thought I’d do a special series on “High Raw”…

So for the next 5 episodes, what I’m going to do is give you the 5 principles of high raw in living color… up close and personal! 🙂

Today’s principle (#1) is how to stick to a high raw food diet or any diet.

Your question of the day: What do you think of principle #1 and how to stick to a high raw food diet?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

To get the new “High Raw” ebook, click here! (It’s FREE!)

To become a member of the inner circle, click here (FREE 30 day trial!)

1. Joseph says:

Congrats on 300
    The question tip works well. I do it all the time when shopping for anything.
    I was watching some of the older episodes over the weekend.
    Wanted to make sure I did not miss any.

I ordered the book after seeing the 1/2 off special.
    Thanks for that terrific offer.
    Not really in a position to afford luxuries but decided it was worth it.

Please post the east coast speaking dates.
    I want to see you guys before you leave for the west coast again

2. Russ says:

Your principle #1, “think like a raw fooder” is an excellent point. It’s similar to one I have been using for a few years now and that is… “How will this benefit my body”?

3. marlene says:

I think it’s a great principle and especially for someone who is just starting out.

4. stephanie says:

Great principle and awesome tip to share when folks ask HOW…

Everyone I forwarded the ebook to was psyched to read it and thanked me!

Thanks for your awesome inspiration
    S

5. Ildiko says:

I love the idea, the question is great, it kind of makes one feel less stressed, cause it does not say or pretend that I am that raw foodist. It is then really becoming more of imagining and I think it really helps!
    I love it and will try it on myself.
    Thanks again for the tip and the wonderful ebook. I will be reading it for sure.

6. Megan Rivard says:

I really enjoyed hearing that today, it was refreshing 🙂 I have been to so many lectures that tell you to “keep the door closed”, meaning don’t eat any cooked food so that you won’t crave them more. I would love to know your opinion on whether or not cooked foods (ex. cooked grains) have a negative effect on the body. Thanks so much for all you do 🙂

Megs

7. CINDY says:

my question to you is do you know what 200 gr is? I would like to make my own nut butter. thank you for the-book I WILL have to check to see if I get it FOUND THIS ON THE NET.
    Raw Nut & Seed Butter

Freshly made raw nut or seed butter is not only delicious but a good source of nutrients such as protein and essential fats. Raw is far more nutritious than roasted as heat denatures the essential fats which are necessary for proper function of the brain, skin, nervous system and sexual organs.
    Ingredients
    200 gr nuts or seeds of choice
    oil, as needed
    seasoning (optional)
    Directions
    Powder nuts or seeds in a coffee grinder or Vita-Mix. The powder should be as fine as you can get it although a few chunks are OK. If using a Vita-Mix be careful not to blend too long as this will heat the nuts and denature the fatty acids. Chilling your Vita-Mix container beforehand and storing nuts in the freezer can help prevent heating.
    Transfer to a food processor. While processor is running, add oil one tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached. The consistency should be a little runnier than your normal preference as raw nut butters must be refrigerated which will cause them to thicken. The amount of oil you add will vary depending on the type of nut or seed you are using (some nuts have a higher natural oil content than others). Add seasonings as desired. Seasonings will depend on the type of nut butter being made. I have found that a dash of sea salt and a teaspoon of honey taste great with almond butter. When your nut butter is made, transfer into a glass jar and store in the refrigerator. Oil will separate during storage so stir before using.
    Nuts: almonds, walnuts, cashews, peanuts and pecans make great nut butters.
    Seeds: sesame seeds, hemp, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds are also good choices; however, use caution with these types of seeds. Their oils tend to be volatile and it only takes a few “bad seeds” to ruin of whole batch of seed butter. I learned this the hard way with my first batch of pumpkin seed butter. My friend Ruth (a long time raw foodist who taught me how to make nut butter) explained that seeds should be carefully scrutinized before making your butter. Remove any that are discoloured as this indicates that they are likely rancid.
    Unhulled sesame seeds while higher in calcium than hulled are usually a little bitter tasting. Hemp seed needs to be hulled for good results. Look for hulled hemp seed (sometimes called hemp nut) either in vacuum sealed packages or in the refrigerated section of your local health food store.
    All nuts and seeds should be purchased as fresh as possible and stored in the fridge or freezer.
    Oils: I recommend using an oil blend such as Udo’s Choice or Omega Essential Balance. These oil blends help ensure your diet is rich in both omega-3 and omega-6 essential fatty acids. If you feel your overall diet is deficient in omega-3 then you can use any good brand of flax oil.
    “Another excellent raw food recipe! I made raw almond butter and took it to two parties. Served with rice crackers, it was very well received. My sesame tahini was a tad bitter and my pumpkin seed butter was awful . The most likely reason is that some of the seeds were rancid. Next time I will definitely sort out any discoloured seeds.”

8. Colleen says:

Hi Guys,
    I’m on Chapter 10. Lots of great info.Thanks for the effort!
    Many blessings to you both,
    Colleen

9. MJ says:

Personally, I would like to see more research, specifically in the area of which foods are best eaten raw and which cooked by whatever method, be it boiled, fried, steamed, baked, dehydrated(which IS gentle cooking). We know that in carrots the vitamin c content diminishes significantly when cooked as opposed to raw, but the beta carotene levels are raised by cooking whereas, when raw, the amount is much less. tomatoes are another trade-off with lycopene, being very high in the cooked product, but quite low in the raw. This is not to say that I think cooked or raw either is better. I just feel that we are at the beginning of understanding how to eat and how to prepare what we eat. I am so very intrigued by the raw food lifestyle, but only so much as to introduce more recipes for raw food other than salads into my diet. I have been experimenting for months with many recipes and have found many keepers, both on the high raw end and the more “processed” end (dehydrating, blending, et al.). It is this that keeps me motivated because I love to prepare food and want to be healthier with yummy alternatives to my standard choices. But I know myself, and I do not want to be what they call 100% raw, because, quite simply, I just do not want that. I want to “indulge” from time to time, and I don’t even think that it is indulgence if one engages in cooked food choices if the choice is healthy. I’ll leave the audience to determine what is cooked and healthy. Again, I just feel that this is the birth of a new awareness of (maybe not so new) of diet and that there should be much more research on the subject. Perhaps there is already and I am just unaware. For now I go to find that out……….

10. Tracy says:

Kevin,
    300, wow! WOW that I’ve been watching you that long!!! You’ve come a long way since I saw you make mango pudding in the blender!!!

Great first principle!

Tracy

11. Laura says:

Congratulations on 300! Love the book. I’m on chapter 7-p.75/Principle #3.

I think principle 1 is a good way to get the mind set going. I’ve been struggling and so far your book has changed my mind set already.

Beautiful farm. Thanks for showing us around.

Questions for you: Is there an easy way to get to certain episodes without clicking each one back? I’d like to see all the ones from the beginning.

Are you going to be anywhere in the Philadelphia, PA area?

Thanks.

12. Teri says:

Great 300 con grats.. I have been tring to us the linx to download your e book but I keep getting an error on the page and it just flips me back to the same page any secrets.. have I missed something?

13. Carrie says:

Go 100 % so you don’t get in touch with the drugs anymore. An alcoholic cannot drink a little glass of alcohol, too.
    And eat enough calories by fruit so you feel satisfied! Low fat. It works!

14. CINDY says:

KEVIN I NEVER GOT THE BOOK. DO YOU KNOW THE ANSWER TO MY QUESTION ABOUT THE 200 GR? IS THAT A GRAM? I FOUND YOU THROUGH MIKE ADAMS AND I DON’T KNOW HOW LONG AGO THAT WAS.CONG ON THE 300, IT SEEMS LIKE YESTERDAY, WHEN YOU WERE DOING YOUR 100 EPISODE ABOUT THE BEST OF SERIES

15. John says:

I like it! 🙂 I’m not sure I’ve seen all 300 but I have definitely seen most of them and always look forward to the next one so keep them coming!

16. Jimmie says:

To Cindy:

200 grams equals about 7 ounces. A little less than one cup.

17. Sharon says:

Congrats on the 300th episode! All action starts in the mind so thinking properly is certainly the best way to start any new habit. I’m looking forward to reading the book.

18. Jackie says:

I can’t seem to download the book, I allways get error on page.

19. rosanna says:

Can we use virgin olive oil to make nut butter? Do nuts have to be slightly toasted? Because i heard that raw nuts run risk of having fungus on them and its safer to toast even for 5 minutes.

I’ve been on a transition to raw foor diet for 3 months now and it really helps to slowly build it up. What you resist persists, so i find that when the urge to eat cooked food comes, it’s not a crime to just give in for that moment if i must, then immediately get back on track. It gets easier as i go along. It’s reasonable to start with 60 – 85% raw to feel it out. I eat raw all day til dinner (the only cooked meal) and so far so good. I’m looking forward to learning more about your raw tips Kevin!

Cheers 🙂

20. marijana pontoni says:

Congrats on 300th show!

My intuition led me to exactly same thing that you are talking about in 1st principle.

I’m reading your book so I hope I will discover some exiting things there too. But, it is always good to hear that again from alive person.

Best wishes from Croatia!

21. Nigel (from the UK) says:

Hi Kevin, I’ve only been following your broadcasts since March but I’m really encouraged to change, thank you. I’m 5’5″ and for the most of my 44 years I’ve been 220 – 240 lbs. I crash dieted to 150 lbs about 3 years ago using a meal replacement system and have struggled to maintain due to the bad habbits I’ve picked up from my younger years. I’m up 25lbs again 🙁 My mind set is of the opinion that we are ‘designed’ to eat a particular way and the ill’s are caused by not following what we are designed to do. Every day is a struggle and changing one meal at a time seems to be the way to go. I now prefer Veggie and find myself experimenting with Vegan and Raw more and more. Incidentally my weight has now started to stay static for the first time, rather than up and up 🙂 I thank you for your insights and will be reading your ebook and becoming more Raw.

22. Elena says:

i have a hard time staying 100% raw. I live with 2 non-raw people and I don’t know any raw folks, so it has been difficult to stay 100%.
    I am just happy that I try to include a smoothie and a large salad in my diet every day. Once I was raw for almost a year, but I wasn’t able to make it through the winter, and since then I have not maintained 100% raw for more than a couple of summer months at a time. I try not to beat myself up about it, but I do tend to get down on myself for succumbing to less than vital foods…

Thanks for the High Raw download. I will be reading it for some support and inspiration.

Elena in Western Mass

23. Katie says:

I too can not download the e-book. I there any way we could sign up for it to be emailed to us?

24. Angela says:

Thanks Kevin. This is a great first principle. It also plants the seed of “if they can do it…why can’t I???” Thanks for your awesome work. THANKS FOR THE BOOK!!!

25. Karen Jackson says:

300 shows?! Wow! Thanks for all your perseverance and hard work. Also, many thanks for your new book. You’re helping me change my life ahd health for the better.

26. Janice says:

Hi Kevin,
    I think every action begins with thought so, thinking like a raw foodist is really a logical place to start. Thank-you for the download. I have begun reading it and appreciate your generous spirit in sharing this with all of us. I WILL BE IN THE TEN PERCENT!!!! You rock.
    Janice

27. Nicole says:

Can’t wait to read the book! I’m officially 22 days Raw:) I went from about 15% to 100% overnight. I am determined to stick to it so I’m glad to get daily encouragement from your show. Thanks! It helps to have a health reason to stay on track. I have Hashimoto’s disease so I can’t wait to see the differences Raw makes.

28. TA says:

I like the approach. I shop like a raw fooder. I menu plan like a raw fooder; I mostly eat like a raw fooder. The temptations happen in my workplace cafeteria. As a longtime vegan, I’ll find myself veering toward the cooked veggies, bread, peanut butter, and popcorn. Can’t wait to conquer the bread and popcorn:D

By the way, I downloaded and began reading the book last night.

29. Shelby says:

Congratulations on the book!
    I am trying to save it to my computer but there is an error each time with the file.
    Could you email the pdf to us directly since you have our email addresses?!
    Looking forward to reading it!

30. Joseph Diamond says:

This is a great approach to making almost any lifestyle change. I’ve personally used this method to think like a non-smoker and think like a sober person etc with great results. Still trying to think like physically fit person!!

31. ida margrethe says:

YEY! 300! so exciting! You guys have some a long way, its so funny looking back on the first shows ;]
    Thanks for the encouragements, i think its an awesome principle :]
    Keep up the great work!

32. gloria says:

Congratulations!!!!!!
    many many more…….
    That is a great advice for those who are having trouble staying or starting to be raw.
    I didn’t experience that, I decided to change from vegetarianism to a 100% raw, since October last year and I still am. I’ve manage to stay raw through the holidays and even few weeks ago when I traveled to my Country (Mexico), Whenever I go to a place and there is nothing raw for me to eat, I just ask myself if it is worth eating that food. That does the trick, I know that it won’t be good for me, so I don’t eat it.
    Thanks for sharing all your hard work and experience with all of us.

Much Love

33. candice says:

I too can not download the book

34. dee says:

Congrats. You guys are awesome.
    I too am unable to download your book.