Tour of Karyn’s Raw Restaurant with Karyn Calabrese – The Renegade Health Show Episode #295

Monday Apr 27 | BY |

This tour of Karyn’s Raw Restaurant is not only great because of what Karyn Calabrese does there…

It’s great because of the philosophy and mindset she has around success. 🙂

This little place (well, not so little) is an oasis of healing in Chicago.

Take look and find out why…

Your question of the day: What do you think about Rejuvelac?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

To visit Karyn’s Raw click here!

1. Gayle Fox says:

Hi Kevin, really great job letting us see the real Karyn! What an inspiration. I’m so glad I saw your post on Twitter and for that reason I’m going to downsize my Twitter following to enjoy the folks that are doing work that truly inspires me.
    I’ll be checking back.
    Thanks again,
    Gayle

2. Carole says:

I LOVE HER! Now why can’t we have a Karyn Calabrese in the D.C. area? I want to go-work-live there.

Bravo Kevin and Marie, your shows have always been the best in the business and you are unreachable now.

3. Linda Miller says:

I have been making my own rejuvelac and drinking all winter with my green smoothies and Barley drinks. I have great respect for Ann Wigmore and feel I’m doing a good thing by doing this.

4. de says:

What a breath of fresh air! I love Karyn’s outlook on life. It reminds me of something Nomi Shannon said during her tele-seminar…that eating raw foods is not a religion:)

5. Jia says:

Loved the interview with Karyn. She is an amazing woman with so much vision and commitment.

I love rejuvalic. I make it with quinoa and it is the best ever. Jia

6. RawinCayman says:

I’ve always wnated to know more about Karyn so thank you for your show on her. It was inspiring and grounding at the same time. I’ve always wished she would do a book so I’m glad to see her book will be out soon. I’ve only had rejuvelac during a course at the Living Foods Institute and I quite liked it (alhtough they did tell us our group’s batch was the best they had in a while :-). I’m inspried to try get some wheatberries shipped in so I can make it myself. Keep up the inspiring work!

7. Ineke says:

What a great show Kevin!! Unfortunately there are not enough Karyn’s in the beauty industry out there who connect the outside with the inside.

I just made a batch of cabbage rejuvelac as I want to make Ann Wigmore’s energy soup tomorrow. I do separate the juice from the cabbage outside though because of the smell it creates but the taste is much better and it is full of all the good bacteria and much cheaper then all those probiotic pills.

8. Michael T. says:

That was a great interview with Karyn. Very inspiring, and good points about there being more to life than talking about food.

Regarding rejuvelac and other home-made fermented foods, I suggest that you be very careful. The types of microbes that you will get in there will vary, and they are not necessarily beneficial. Leaving soaked wheat seeds out in the air will allow all kinds of yeasts and molds to land on them and start to grow. You might get some beneficial microbes in there, too, or you might not. Many houses have toxic molds in them, and if you try to ferment foods in these houses you could get the toxic mold growing in your food.

I know a raw fooder who got really sick from drinking home-made rejuvelac — it was a yeasty mess, and she was sick for days, until she took enough probiotics to rebalance her system.

Please don’t rely on home-made fermented foods to get your probiotics. You are much better off buying them at the store. Green Vibrance powder is a great source of probiotics, and you know exactly what kinds of microbes you are getting.

If anyone has a scientifically sound method of making home-made fermented foods that ensures only beneficial microbes will grow, then I would be happy to hear about it.

Michael T.

9. Pamela says:

Wow – thanks for the tour of Karyn’s! I really enjoyed it. Love her place and sorry I missed you guys in Chicago. I get rejuvelac at Karyn’s all the time and LOVE IT! I am so glad to have a place to buy it because I don’t have the time to make it. I also use it to make cashew cheeze.

Hope you enjoyed Chicago! See you next time!

10. Irina says:

Thank you Kevin and Annmarie for this interview! Wonderful to see the real Karyn, very inspiring; quite different from how I pictured her. YOu have a talent for putting people at ease and just open up in your interviews. Keep them coming!
    I love rejuvelac – I add it to my smoothies or just drink it straight; it made a huge difference in how I feel. I saw Angela Stokes’ video on how to make rejuvelac and decided to finally prepare it, instead of just talking about it, it turned out great,and now I’m hooked.

11. Linda says:

Hi AnnMarie & Kevin,

Thank you SO much for the interview with Karyn. I saw a strength in Karyn that was just incredible! I like what she’s done and I like what pearls of wisdom she gave to her daughter.

Thanks again for sharing.

The two of you are quite unique in just allowing us to be apart of your travels and experiences. I feel like I’ve been to every place you’ve gone! (smile)

Please keep up the WONDERFUL work you’re doing!

Linda

12. Sita says:

Rejuvelac I make from rye, because it seems that rye doesn’t get mold as easy as wheat does (before you buy it). And the rejuvelac from rye tastes mild. My son (25) who’s not raw, asks me regularly to make it for him, because it once cured his tummy ache instantly when he came home from a trip.
    You have to work very hygienic when you make it, otherwise it goes off very soon. I had some batches that went bad and since then I rinse bottles with cooked water before i use them, even though they were washed up. Hygiene is very important in making rejuvelac.

13. Beatriz says:

What does rejuvelac taste like? I’ve never heard abour it before… so it’s a fermented drink you can make at home with cabbage and or barley and because it’s fermented it has probiotics?

14. Didiydi says:

Thank you so much for this interview, what an amazing woman. Such an inspiration.

About rejuvelac: It’s not something to fear! And you can definitely make it yourself, if you are careful.
    If you are making it with rye or wheat berries don’t keep sprouts at high temperatures (higher than 25-27 C) as it will ferment too quickly and mold might develop. If it’s too hot I wash it 3 times/day and keep window open. Mold only grows in stagnant air. I sprout berries in sprouting jars and make sure the air can circulate in and out of the jar. You can also add food grade diluted hydrogen peroxide that kills the mold. It just takes a bit of practice- but keep in mind rejuvelac is not controlled culture like kefir or kombucha, so you need to pay attention. After a while you will know by smell if it’s well done, so just listen to your wise body.
    Site to recommend:

15. janell says:

I haven’t tried rejuvelac yet; feel somewhat hesitant when it comes to anything that’s fermented though I understand and have read of the beneficial purposes

I enjoyed touring Karyn’s place thanks to you Kevin; next time I’m in Chicago I’ll have to look them up

16. Barbara says:

Thank you Kevin, Your shows are getting awsome and very interesting. We need more Karyns in the DC area as one person spoke earlier. I want to Praise you and Annmarie for all the hard work you do in giving us this information. Again thank you both.

Barbara

17. Thanks for your tireless efforts…
    About rejuvelac(some refer to it as rejuverot!), used previoulsy at Hippocrates
    Center, but no longer! The director of the center , Brian Clement stated that thru independent lab testing, the favorable bacteria was present in 40 per cent of the batches: harmful bacteria in 60 per cent; odor was not an accurate indicator of good or bad. They no longer use or recommend it…a quality acidophilus is recommended. We personally were going to start using and teaching its process, but after the research’
    we would rather avoid the unnecessary yeast, etc risk to our systems. Safe practices in the kitchen are healthy for us!!
    Joe and Fran

18. Kim says:

Thank you for the Karyn video. I have been wanting to go to Chicago to her place. I have not tried the rejuvelac but I have noticed that fermented foods knocks out my cravings for the junk snack attacks.
    Kim

19. Nicole says:

That looks like a great place! I have been wanting to try Rejuvilac but haven’t had a chance too. I’m glad you asked about it so I could see other opinions on it.

20. Nicole says:

What a cool place to visit! I wish I had a reason to go to Chicago:) As for the Rejuvilac, I have yet to try it. I’m glad you asked the question though so that I can read what other people think.

21. Nicole says:

What an inspiring person Karyn is. Thank you for doing this interview with her. I have never tried rejuvelac and don’t think I’ll make it at home, but I’d be willing to try it at a reputable place that made it. Right now I’m experimenting with making raw sauerkraut:-)

I was interested in how Karyn said she doesn’t go to raw potlucks or focus on just having raw friends. That’s one thing that puts me off when I visit some raw forums and I realize for some people raw food is their entire life: only raw, vegan friends; only raw vegan foods; only a raw, vegan world, and they are condescending towards things and people outside this circle. I think it’s interesting that Karyn chooses not to get caught up in this exclusive world; bravo to her.

22. Jes says:

inspiring show. well done.

23. Brenda Hayes says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie, I love you two sooo much, I turn my computer on just to watch what you two are up to next. I live in Chicago and have been to Karyn’s several times. I hope your tried her fabulous salad plate. I have never had rejuvalac, I guess I would rather stick with probiotic pills.
    Keep doing what you do because you do it very well.

24. Elena says:

Wow! I loved this show and I loved Karyn!!!What a wonderful powerhouse she is! She realy inspires with her insightful sharings and her obvious passion for what she does.
    Thank you soo much for sharing your journey and for giving us all a tour of Karyn’s incredible space. I wish there was a place like hers in Western Mass as well. We have Spas, but nothing that has the total inside and outside body focus that she has created!

Blessings to you both for all that you do!

Never tried Rejuvelac..

25. Magdalena says:

I go to Karyns everytime I’m in Chicago, which is several times a year. I really like her food and the store as well, she carries a great book selection.

There is only one problem, when you go to Karyns you will immediately sense that the employees are too stressed and not really into their work. For some reason they are not happy and this always makes me not want to return, but I do because the food is good and the location makes is accesible. The problem with unhappy employees is not something that only I have picked up on, I have been there with many friends and family and they all seem to share this opinion. But don’t let this keep you from enjoying Karyns food. Perhaps she needs a new manager, who knows?
    There is also another exellent raw food resteraunt in Chicago called Cousins,it’s in the far north side of the city, the food is very good there too.

26. marijana pontoni says:

Great video and Karyn is amazing person.

I make rejuvelac myself and it smells really bad, but it is ok to drink. I believe that it has tons of good stuff in it. But, I like kombucha too.

27. Courtney says:

I love Karyn! She is so inspiring. Thanks for this awesome interview with her and for bringing us all kinds of great information.