Are Colonics Good for You – The Renegade Health Show Episode #288

Thursday Apr 16 | BY |

Since we were staying at Shea’s house, we figured it would make sense to get a colonic…

In this video, Shea will take you through the colonic process with a very special volunteer. 🙂

Don’t worry this is NOT graphic! It is an instructive video on how to get a colonic that covers the different types of machines and why colonics are good for you.

Take a watch and have fun…

Your question of the day: What do you think of colonics or enemas?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave a comment now!

To visit Shea Lynn Baird’s site and learn more about colonics click here!

1. Ralph says:

Great show Kevin. Been doing colonics for yrs. But did my first open system a few days ago. I preferred it over a closed system. I suggest trying both and deciding for yourself.Grat talk at Cafe Gratitude.

2. Doug says:

I have done colonics in the past very refreshing and worth the time and money for an initial series (say 3). If you stay well hydrated afterwards, probably not necessary to keep going back. Overall can be a very good experience.

3. Fern Goldsmith says:

Kevin… I adore you!!! You make me smile everyday when I watch all of your shows. I love your energy & all your info is so helpful to me. I am raw since Aug 08 and starting with the Rawkathon I got hooked on you!! Keep up the great work that you do & thanks for your spirit!!! Fern

4. Shalom Shick says:

I have now, just recently, had 2 colonics using the closed system. It is a strange experience. Not pleasant, really, but not dreadful either. I do believe that the process is helpful and worthwhile, and there is a nice psychological boost knowing how much cleaner one is after, as well as a truly lighter feeling. I also believe there is great value in assisting any cleanses or detox programs one may be embarking upon.
    I highly recommend this process and my colon whisperer, Paula Perkins, in Knoxville, TN!
    Thanks for bringing this to the fore!
    Blessed, healthy, prosperous & free be,
    B’Shem Yeshua,
    with love & shalom from
    Shalom!

5. John Thornley says:

Shea Lynn Baird really knows her business, and explains it brilliantly. Thank you Kevin for presenting her to us.

6. Kirsten says:

I have never gone to a professional but I have been doing my own enemas at home for a few years now. It’s a bit tricky at first but once you get the hang of it it’s a great tool to have. I’ve been able to pass mucoid plaque!!! You think you are healthy and that you don’t have that stuff but a good enema will tell you the truth. Something I read once said a plain water enema is a wasted opportunity. I use things like catnip, chlorella or a few drops of food grade hydrogen peroxide. Coffee of course is a good one but I’m not a coffee drinker so it’s hard to wean off the enemas when you can’t just have a cup of joe to make the headache go away. One of my favorite books is Dr. Jensen’s Guide To Better Bowel Care!!!

7. marie says:

Love colonics, do them regularly. Incredible cleansing/detox tool, makes me feel fantastic, gives me a boost of energy each time I go. Essential according to me.
    Give it a try!

8. Sasha says:

So Kevin,
    Did you see any yeast?

9. Evan says:

Colonics are AWESOME!!! I’ve suffered with digestive issues my whole life and finally tried colonics. Gripped by the wrath of candida and sugar cravings daily, after my first colonic I had no cravings the next day! After 6 sessions I am noticing a huge change. The things that come out are so intriguing: gas, yeast, parasites, heavy metals, bile, undigested food, old junk!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! A huge boost for a detox plan.

If you live in Twin Cities area, Minnesota, check out Healing Insights- great knowledgeable therapists- Katie, the owner, has been at it for 18 years!

10. Joseph says:

I did a on the road colonic like you Kevin.

The one I did I have mixed thoughts about.

Easiest way to explain it was
    like going to a car wash I was told what to do and left on my own.
    The therapist came in a checked every ten minutes to make sure everything was working fine.

Would of preferred a more hands on approach but since I told them I had done it before they must of figured I would of wanted to be alone to do it?

11. Kristina says:

I have never done this but am interested. Suffered with digestive issues my whole life, went vegan a couple years ago and realized a dairy gluten intolerance and raw last summer feel better than I ever have but am sure from years of eating crap (especially things my body is allergic to) Great show Kev you are brave I dont think I would ever do one taped!

Namaste

12. Barb says:

I completely understand the reasoning behind detoxing and colonics. However, I have heard a lot of conflicting information regarding the necessity and even safety of colon hydrotherepy and the use of so-called “cleansing herbs.” First of all, I don’t really have a 100% convinced opinion either way, but I do think that it is important to at least discuss the many different forms of detoxing and if they are necessary, safe, and/or superior to cleansing through the foods that we eat or fasting.

One very outspoken and opinionated raw foodist and “health guru” is Fredric Patenuade. He has written many articles regarding cleansing and the hazards of considered safe ways to cleanse. He is very adament about how colon cleansing is entirely unnatural and can cause various adverse side effects. Any “good” results are just smoke and mirrors, where your body has been thrown off homeostasis or out of balance. He also wrote about a circumstance where a man who had undergone one colonics session, was damaged so severely that he was never able to go to the bathroom unasisted ever again. Now that is pretty scary. I don’t know what the final verdict is on this issue but I would like it if other health professionals could at least address these issues and explain where the controversy was possibly orginated from and if there is anything to be concerned about.

13. Tara says:

I have had my colon injured having a colonic resulting in septic shock. Make sure your hydrotherapist is experienced. That being said, I have since had other colonics.

14. ann gleason says:

Definitely makes me want to get a colonic!!!

Also definitely feel apprehensive, but I’m sure it is very needed!

Thanks for the inspiration
    (and reminder to do that!!)

15. Jennifer Herrera says:

Used to work in a colon hydrotherapy clinic. The second colonic made me feel really good, empty and light. I requested a plastic speculum verses the steel one. It put my mind at ease because the plastics are not re-usable. Of course they clean the steel speculums surgical style. Ok, great one Kevin.
    Cheers!

16. Amie says:

Colon hydrotherapy is simply amazing. I suffered with constipation and painful gas my entire childhood, likely due to stress and wheat & dairy intolerances. There were times I could remember only going #2 once a week!! By the time I was in my early twenties, I developed severe acne. After doing a 21-day vegan & raw food detox (http://www.21daydetox.com/), I had 2 sessions of colon hydrotherapy and could NOT believe the amount of stuff that came out of me. My skin began to clear up immediately, and over the next year as I improved my diet, it healed completely. All of this was after I had seen 5 UCLA dermatologists, and was only offered antibiotics (I took minocycline for over a year) and caustic creams. Colon hydrotherapy and learning to avoid foods I’m intolerant to has allowed me to be regular for the first time in my life (I go at least once or twice a day). Those two things also helped me recover from debilitating migraine headaches. (I took Tylenol and Advil quite frequently as a child and teenager.) I do enemas for “maintenance” every few months, or if I’m feeling under the weather, and have experienced some profound emotional releases (fear, anxiety, sadness, anger) during them.

My most recent session of colon hydrotherapy was a “gravity method” or open system one, and I HIGHLY recommend it! The speculum is much larger in diameter than the closed system, so the insertion is slightly uncomfortable, but afterwards it actually feels much more natural than the closed system colonics I’ve had. The wider speculum means you don’t feel your sphincter “clenching”, and you barely even notice whether water is flowing in or out. It’s very gentle. I did a week of raw food and a water fast prior to mine, and the release I had was astonishing. As the therapist pressed on the right side of my abdomen, PITCH BLACK stuff completely filled the tube for at least a minute. That particular colonic really helped release some stiffness in my back and neck, as well as a large amount of negative emotion related to an ex. 🙂

If you’re in the San Francisco Bay Area in Contra Costa County, I HIGHLY recommend Serenity Wellness Center in San Ramon. http://www.serenitycleanse.com/ I’m on their mailing list and I think they have a spring special right now where colonics are only $75! (And no, I’m not affiliated with them or paid anything for saying this… I just had a GREAT experience there!!) They even have Norman Walker’s books in the waiting area. 🙂

17. Charlotte says:

I was super apprehensive and nervous before I did my first one last year. I’m really glad i did though because it’s a really amazing and interesting experience to say the least;)
    I was suffering with candida and a lot of GI problems and it definently helped a lot. If I could financially afford it I would want them regularly although it might get addictive, lol.
    Really good show! I’m curious how yours went though, did you see any yeast?
    -Charlotte

18. LisaE says:

I had my first and only series of colonics when I was 17. I was tired of being constipated all the time, not pooping for several days at a time and feeling the ill effects. Didn’t grow up in an alternative medical family but I was a wanna be hippy at the time…1976 and a naturopath I found, suggested it…so glad he did as it has helped me throughout my life. While I was doing the series of colonics I was also instructed to do enemas at home on alternate days on my own and have used that process as needed…very easy to do. I have recently been drinking green smoothies daily which has caused me to really crave more raw food. The elimination is literally freeing!! :). I think it’s time to find a colon whisperer in my area. HAppy pooping! And thanks for the informative videos.

19. Fran says:

Kevin, thank you for this video, I learned a lot from it! Perfect timing too because I’ve been advised to get a series of colonics (1 per week for a period of a month) to help get rid of Candida. I was waiting for your results though, you didn’t tell us if yeast came out and if there was anything else worth mentioning …

20. jodie says:

I so wanted to see what came out since you have been doing raw for a while now.
    Kevin, you didn’t say weather you have had one before or how regularly?

My liver is always taxed, finally I know how to fix it! thank you.

21. Angelica says:

Think it is a very UNnatural thing to do – and would never do it myself… What other people are doing is up to them. I just find it awfull..

22. Jen Bing says:

Kevin, Kevin, Kevin! Again you make me laugh. Thanks so much for doing this show.

I became vegetarian and raw at the start of the year so decided to have a colonic (or two) to make a fresh start and clear out all the old residues of meat etc. I certainly felt clearer, cleaner and leaner after my colonics and will be going back again in a month or so. My hydrotherapist told me not to eat any raw vegetables for 3 days after my colonic. Has anyone else been told this?

23. Heidi says:

i really like colonics i went raw oct last year and started having tham not long after, my colon therapist is great, helps you relax she also gives lots of advice on my food and lets me try her raw treats im on a 7 day detox and the day after i finish im due to see her i treat the day as a day of perpering and i also go shopping as its in glastonbury, England.I can get a lot of my raw stuff all in one place. i cant wait to see what will come out, after i alway have lots of energy and want to clean my house, i also started doing coffee enamas when i need some more energy or feel bunged up. Its about time people started talking about it im always open about my bowle movements. Lol

24. linda says:

i have had several colonics in the past. i found it painful as in cramping like and enema when i was a kid. it was not my cupa tea. i like homozon for my cleansing. i guess to each his or her own but not mine!

25. Katie says:

I have had several colonics and have studied Edgar Cayce’s work, which recommends them for some people. My experience was actually painful. As a vata person, I have gas and dont respond well to invasive things. The whole process was very uncomfortable for me because my anus and colon would spasm, not allowing a proper letting go and release. I think that colonics are good for some, but not all people. It is extreme and invasive, healthy or not. Very important to stay away from gassy foods hours before hand. Enemas are less shock to the system. Another experience I had was constipation for days after my colonics…not very productive.
    Lots to think about. I perfer watching what goes in so I dont have to “clean out” from below. Taking cleansing products orally and excercising regularly can keep you regular and healthy.
    Thanks for the stimulating webcast, Katie

26. Brad says:

I feel Nature is wiser than us all and sticking something where it is not meant to be is wrong….healthy……yea ok..

27. Lynn says:

I’ve had one and really liked the experience. It felt great to know I was cleaner on the inside. I did mine after a 17 day juice feast. My colon hydrotherapist was so surprised at how much water I could take in. She even told me I didn’t really need to come back any time soon for a second on. That was about a year ago and I think I would like to do another again. How often does Shea recommend having them done after the initial cleansing series? Lynn

28. Penny Taylor says:

Do they have a camera so they can actually see whats happend when you get a colonic.
    I had to have laxative drinks for two days to clear mine when I was in hospital and saw the screen when they were examining me. It was as clear and clean as a bell apart from a few fibroids which they cut out. My point being, wouldnt natural laxatives and water clean you out just as well.
    The only time they gave me an enema instead just blew up my bowel and left me with a hernia.

29. Hi,

I bought my own Colonics board (i.e. colema boards of California) back in 2006…i.e. I realized that if I was gonna do this on a regular/semi regular basis it would be easier to have a way of doing this myself…I noticed that Matt Monach’s site sells these…in fact I think I almost ended up buying mine from Matt’s site but ended up choosing a Canadian distributor in B.C. to avoid the customs brokerage hassels and expense etc. Anyway I went thru Dr. Jansen’s protocol in 2006 and have been doing colonics on a semi-regular basis since. They have been a great saviour on some days when I woke not feeling my best e.g. headache etc. and after doing a colonic…I would instantly feel great!. I went Mostly raw starting last month (no grains but eating a baked sweet potato in evening to stem the starch craving) and have felt the need to doing colonics again (have done 2 over the last month i.e. did one yesterday). Really good hearing Shea talk about this (i.e. and enjoy Matt’s inner circle talk where he touched this).

Thanks,
    Charles

30. Rhonda D says:

Dr. Jensen’s Guide To Better Bowel Care. This book really helps one realize how much we really need to take care of our bodies.

I have had colonics using the closed system.
    Once you have one, you really tend to watch what you put into your body. It’s almost like you don’t want to mess up a good thing.

best wishes to all
    have a great weekend
    Rhonda D

31. natalya says:

I can’t believe you did it for the show, Kevin, but it was fun episode and informative!
    I think enemas and colonics are very helpful, but not everyday.

32. As a colon therapist myself, one hour north of Shea, I appreciated you sharing your experience. I started using colonics in 2006 when I was a teacher and had lost 45 pounds without trying, had all sorts of food allergies and generally felt poisoned all the time. Colonics helped me survive what later stopped 14 days after I left the newer school building I worked in. I ended up leaving education all together, went to school for colon hydrotherapy and started my own colonics business in Ukiah, Inner Harmony. Colonics saved my life.
    It has also helped me this last year as I battled Stage IV Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. I am almost done with my chemotherapy treatments and in remission. I believe along with diet, acupuncture, bodywork, prayer and meditation, colonics have helped me handle the severe side-effects of chemo. Our diet, lifestyle and detoxification is paramount to good health. Wish I would have known this sooner in my life and forgone the lifetime of processed and fast foods.
    Thanks Again,
    Casey

33. Misty says:

Over a year ago my Naturopath Doctor recommended that I do coffee enemas once a day. And I freaked out! Just the thought of having to do an enema made me want to quit the vegan diet he had prescribed and go running back to my comfort zone for good. But with the loving encouragement of one of his assitants, a beautiful spirit who was like a mother to me and has since past, I was able to over come my fear of the unknown. I was completely astounded at the difference I felt after the very first one. It was amazing. I now maintain them approximately 1 or 2 times a week followed by a warm water “rinse”. I always feel so much better afterwards.

Thanks to you and Annmarie for not shying away from the so called “taboo” topics! Keep up the good work. Hugs to you both!

34. I wss trained as a colon therapist in Florida with a closed, gravity system. Years later, when living in the Atlanta area, I was fortunate to be introduced to the LIBBE open system. It is such a wonderful difference from working with the closed. The LIBBE puts all of the control of water flow with the client. As the therapist, I was free to instruct them in self abdominal massage and work with some of the trigger points on their feet. Having a colonic is a very personal thing. The releasing of old fecal matter, but, more importantly, the old negative emotions that caused the problems to begin with, are often best handled alone. Yes, with a closed system, a relationship of trust does develop between the client and therapist. For me, I have always believed in assisting my clients, empowering them to be in control of their bodies and the care of them. High enemas work fine when at home, along with a clean diet & lifestyle. As with anything, there are those that will choose to use the practice of colonics as their quick fix for eating improperly. For this reason, I always enjoyed educating folks on what to put in, so, what coming out would take care of itself.

35. Esoteric Engineer says:

Kevin,

Any chance of the unedited version? I want to know what came out!

36. Karen Jackson says:

Thanks so much for this show, Kevin! I’m still deciding whether I’m going to do it or not, but I’ve been thinking about it for a long time.

37. rose says:

hi kevin, i enjoyed your talk at cafe gratitude. how did you overcome your magnesium deficiency? i eat plenty of greens and seeds but i still feel tired. i also took antibiotics which have left me irritable. did you take a magnesium supplement? should it be combined with other minerals? i haven’t found optimal health and energy yet! i hope you can fit this in with one of your question and answer shows. thanks…

38. Elizabeth Deedrick says:

My 74yr.old Mother has suffered teribly with constipation her whole life, worse now. I feel she would benefit from this, however I don’t understand what you are talking about “closed system” colonic? Open? Could you please explain a little more about this? Thank You! Great Show!

39. One of the best shows ever! Thank you Kevin!

I understand people saying it’s not natural, but neither is cooking everything we eat, neither is breathing car exhausts! Nor are a lot of the things we do on a daily basis!

Cleaning the bowel with water has been around since the beginning of time and is mentioned in all of the oldest texts known to man.
    Cleaning my bowel changed my life! I love that we have the opportunity to go to a professional colon hydrotherapist if we choose. Home enemas or colema boards are great too!

Shea did an awesome job at explaining things! Awesome work Shea – I hope to meet you one day!

If you are in New Zealand come and see me at Taranaki Colon Hydrotherapy – you will be well cared for.

Love and blessings,
    Mellos and Justy

40. I am soo glad you are covering this! I was in California when you both were there for your dinner and was not able to attend. I want to meet you so badly! I have been doing the videos on Kids Gone RAW, and just recently started distributing in-home colonic devices that are AWESOME. I used to run a Colonics Spa in Scottsdale, AZ and am a firm believer that getting your digestive health back to square one a huge step (also) in going raw! I would love to talk to you guys about this! But, aside from that my kids already know the Gianni name and we would love to just MEET YOU!
    People like you two are God sends to the raw food movement but also the wellness movement. Bless you both! Long ride the Kale Whale!

41. Bobbie says:

Great show! I now have grounds to pitch a colon cleanse to my husband and mom! There is a nationally known homeopath in Durant Ok who uses a Coca Cola colon cleanse. Needless to say I will not be going to this one. The thought of Coca Cola in my colon sounds terrible. I thought it was interesting that someone mentioned above about the catnip colon cleanse, that’s more like it.

42. Nigel (from the UK) says:

Now I’m a little confused. I’ve read everyones comments and I’m intreagued about the positive aspects of colonics. I was lead to believe that colonics was, in the longer term, bad for you. The idea that was suggested to me was that although you may feel better initially, the process would remove some bacteria that your body would have to remanufacture over the following weeks, leaving your body under stress whilst recovering this bacteria. As with many health related issues, it’s hard to know what is true. Thank you Shea, I’ll check out your FAQ’s.

43. Anthony says:

Are you sure that colonics is even safe? It seems very invasive and entirely unnatural. I think God did a pretty good job creating us perfectly capable of cleaning our bodies through raw plant foods, and fasting. Colonics-simply not natural, you can not escape that fact. I totally like the idea behind it, but feel like it was basiclly introduced to begin a new trend of making money for people, not to say that most colon hydrotherepists have bad intentions or anything, but I don’t really agree with the invasiveness and possible safety issues surrounding colonics.

44. Allen says:

I’ve done one, and I did see my skin get a little better after just one, and I need to go back for a few more as that will make more of a difference.

45. Fiona says:

Thanks for this Kevin (and thank you Shea). I inquired about getting a colonic at a local clinic, and was told that it would only be beneficial if I initially have four sessions within a two week period. This sounded excessive to me, does this sound right to you?

46. Linda Long says:

Did You have yeast????

47. You will never know until you try. I had a closed system one by a licensed colon hydrotherapist and had great results after being raw a year. An unnatural amount of mucous made me want to fine tune my diet further.

48. Sara says:

Hi Kevin,

I have done colonics. Per the high recommendation by Matt Monarch when I first began going raw two years ago- I did a series of them like one a week for like six weeks. Then when I moved to nyc I was doing them like once or twice a month. Over the course of that time- I have seen at least three different colon hydrotherapists and in my experience- without the assistance of massage, reflexology w/aromatherapy, and energy work during the session- the best results cannot be achieved. I even had gone the extra step of purchasing my own colonic unit to make use of at my apt per the recommendation of Gil Jacobs. I must say- having tried that I would much rather leave the guess work to the colon hydrotherapist rather than multi task myself.

With all that said- Although colonics/enemas are very helpful and have their place- I think there is far to much emphasis and focus on them to the point that people in the raw food community develop a dependency on them instead of looking at the bigger picture which is to improve the terrain through diet and lifestyle modifications and use colonics/enemas as an OCCASIONAL tool- not a multiple day a week or month practice in the long haul. Remember everything in moderation. I was cleansing so rapidly my first year b/t colonics, liver-gallbladder flushes, etc- that my body could not keep with it all- and I became greatly ungrounded and the healthy bacteria had a difficult time keeping in check. You have to refurbish your gut with probiotics and move in slowly with everything. I have found now being in the raw nearly two years- that having a colonic once every couple months and administering an enema- at most once a week as needed (ie illness present,constipation) can be helpful.

49. Charlotte Cormier says:

Kevin how brave you are! Thnk you for spreading the word! I’ve been having colonics for the past 20 years and I would not have my current level of health without them! I agree with Matt Monarch that this is a necessary habit for anyone seeking lonmg term health! Charlotte C.

50. Bette says:

did you have yeast ..haha an unanswered question.
    Colonics, enemas, excellent for health and vibrant skin. Death begins in the colon as they say. So health can as well.
    Had my first prof colon cleanse…woohoo super.

51. Fiona says:

In response to whether I had yeast and that’s why I was told to have four colonics within 2 weeks, the answer is no, that topic didn’t even come up. I was told that was the standard for anyone having a colonic for the first time…

52. earthmother says:

Shea sure has the scoop on poop! I think it’s very important to trust your colon hydrotherapist. I would feel both comfortable and confidant with Shea.

Lots of talk on Raw Fu these days about cleansing, enemas, and colonics. Me, I’m a colonic gal. I’d much rather pay the money and have someone else put the tube up my bum. I think they’re much more effective than enemas too.

53. In my NAET allergy elimination practice I recommend colonics and coffee enemas to my patients. Some may be skeptical at first, but all find they feel better and become well sooner. Coffee enemas differ from colonics in that they detoxify via the liver, and can be especially helpful for aches and pain. Both are extremely useful. Note: these two amazing cleansing tools are not new to the culture – they have been around a long time.

Thanks for bringing this to the forefront!

54. weavermomo says:

I have had close to 70 colon hydrotherapy sessions over the last 2.5 years I believe it has helped me beat cancer. It is a must to do in our toxic world! I highly recommend a book called “Inside Poop”.

55. Yes I have and it is very invigorating.
    my question is how often does some on a 100%raw food vegan diet have to have a colonic?
    thank you your shows are wonderful and very helpful.
    love peace and joy.
    fatima

56. Sherri says:

No joke,you must love us very much to share such a personal experience. I must say, you are a brave guy to step up to the plate, and take one for the team on camera. No booty, ah dang, lol. I love her T shirt, very funny!

57. Cookie says:

Ok, just a couple of comments. Yes, we are wonderfully made and we should not have to “stick something where it doesn’t belong”, but these are different times. We were not being poisoned by our air, water, food and emotions, our bodies are overtaxed and need some help. I have to assume that you ‘stick a toothbrush in there where it doesn’t belong’, right? I mean, come on, you take a shower every day, you brush your teeth a couple of times a day because of what you put in your mouth because you know that it will not leave unless you help it out by brushing. Guess what! That same stuff goes through your colon and doesn’t always leave without some help as well! Come on, give your system a break, give yourself an inside shower, you deserve it. Peace and Love, Cookie (also a certified colonic therapist in the St. Louis, MO area).

58. Peter Buckingham says:

Persuaded by Tony Robbins to have colonic therapy.Tried it for 3 sessions over 6 weeks and then over next 6 years have regularly (3 monthly) had my colon washed out .
    Always experience complete cleanliness with clear skin and thought processes.
    Highly recommmended and excellent for an internal cleanse of mind and body .

59. mitch says:

i have a colonic board and do them every other day went on a 18 day fast and still had stuff coming out you cant believe how much is caked inside your colon if you eat three times a day and dont go three times where do you think it goes.i had a big bump on my eye for 6 months after i did colonics cured it also cured prostrate problem. im 52 and look 40 been doing colonics now for 10 years.

60. Amanda says:

I tried a colonic irrigation program for my acne and I really had high hopes for it. But unfortunaltey, my skin didn’t respond to it at all, and I was VERY disappointed. I have had many colon problems in the past, so i was sure this was why I had acne, but I guess I was wrong. The colonic irrigation gave me very severe cramps for two days after I did it. It was very unpleasent for me, and I do think that it was kind of a waste…so if you are thinking about doing a colonic irrigation for acne, think twice about it.