Are All Raw Foods Healthy – The Renegade Health Show Episode #285

Monday Apr 13 | BY |

Today, John Kolher gives us the lowdown about raw foods…

Shea had an amazing potluck in Santa Rosa, CA yesterday and there were some incredible people here! John Kohler, Rick and Karen Dina, Elaina Love… so as you can imagine the food was AWESOME!

He also talks about gardening and using brix testing to determine if your food is top notch.

Take a watch…

our question of the day: What are your three criteria for raw food?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

Check out John’s site here… www.rawfoods.com!

1. ida margrethe says:

great talk!
    im very intr to know what else is on John’s list of ‘bad raw food’..

I think most important for me when it comes to raw food is:
    -that its vitalizing and make me feel good
    -that its as ‘close to home’ and as organic as possible (like this morning when i went shopping at the fruit shop, they sell strawberries from USA for less than Australian grown ones.. this dosnt make sense to me)
    -that its nutritious

these criterias all intermingle tho..

John website is awesome! I remember using it when i was younger, but forgot all about it. Cheers for that Kevin!

2. gloria says:

I have bought few things from Johns website.
    He is wonderful and sincere. I had some questions about my juicer after I bought it, and he immediatelly answer me. I am very pleased with him and his service.
    Thanx Kevin for such a wonderful job you and Annmarie are doing.

3. I totally agree with you, John. Food must have life force to qualify as raw, living food. I suppose that is why I have been passionate about sprouting & growing greens for the past 30 years. Consuming living, raw foods truly does feed our energetic bodies. Someone once said that to consider anything as a consumable food, ask yourself this, “Can I eat this as it is presented from nature?” If the answer is yes, then it is a food. That eliminates a lot of questionables. Obviously, that places fruits high on the list, and greens. Well, all greens start from seeds, so, sprouted seeds certainly are on my list of living, raw foods. And vegetables come from seeds, too. Even those beautiful rainbow fruits started as seeds, when you think about it.
    Thanks for sharing. I happened upon the importance of living & raw foods accidentally in 1972. That discovery changed my life.

4. Jayne Eubanks says:

I would have to agree with the above video but I would like to add that the food has to be in the roughest form. In other words as unprocessed as possible!

5. Necrowitch says:

OMG! I knew about brix testing before kevin did? I’m not even raw for a whole month yet! I really want a brix meter because the higher the brix score the better the food is for your internal ecology… learned that from a crazy extremist raw food co-op site blindguru.com .. lots of good information there… as for what i look for in my foods is high pigmentation, closest to nature, taste, and freshness. Just started my first compost pile and i am trying to hunt down rock dust! (can’t do the david wolfe style rockdust as there are no naturally occurring stones in my area to find the perfectly balanced minerals appropriate for my area to grow native edible plants with and eat the weeds as they would be the healthiest plants grown in my area’s conditions… great in theory but not practical were i live)
    Excuse me if i sound extremist.. I’m just very excited about how good I’m feeling of late! I’ve been learning alot from alot of people, Kevin has helped so much! thanks! =^-^=

6. marlene says:

3 criteria:

not over ripe, not under ripe
    tastes delicious!
    organic!

7. Muriel says:

That it is grown as close as possible to my own area.
    That it be organically grown.
    That it would be vegetarian.
    That it be grown with some love into it (sorry i cheated, that was 4)

8. John Thornley says:

Real food must be produced from the light energy of the Sun and have phytochemicals, etc.
    All fruits and vegetables are not created equal, just like a lot of us primates. I am also using the Brix method to evaulate what I eat.

9. Tavia says:

My 3 criteria for raw food:

not cooked above 115 degrees F
    energy promoting
    full of live giving nutition

10. Monica says:

Organic Local Grow,
    Ripe fruit,
    Live Food (not dehydred)

Thanks for the video good one.

11. Jennifer Herrera says:

Never even asked myself that question. I guess it would be that it would have to be organic. Grown locally and ready for eating.
    cheers!

12. Kim says:

LOVE that site, it is the first one I ever went to a few years ago to try raw recipes….
    raw food….
    organic, health building, taste good and enzymes. ok that was four…
    Kim

13. marie says:

Food as close to its natural state as possible, alive, juicy plus of course all the criteria mentioned above (organic, vegan, ripe and best if seasonal and local)

14. Janette says:

1. Grown from the earth (tree or plants)
    2. Has not been processed with any heat
    3. Provides nutrients and enzymes

15. Russ says:

Top 3 things.
    1. Will it benefit or burden my body?
    2. Has it ever been heated above 118*
    3. If man made it, I don’t eat it! (a famous line from Jack LaLaine)

16. don says:

those wisteria flowers behind you look yummy!
    anything you can pick in the wild and eat immediately, that’s raw food

17. esther says:

In answer to your question, I heard this acronym the other day that makes sense for me in regards to setting a standards for my foods. It’s S.O.U.L food! S is for seasonal, O is for organic, U is for unprocessed, and L is for local! Isn’t that great! I wish I could quote the source but the person who told me that didn’t know either =)

18. rose says:

healthy
    delicious
    affordable
    x

19. sev says:

awesome

20. CINDY says:

substitute and or replacing!!!!!!!!!!!!IN A RECIPE,WHAT IS A WHOLE FOOD DATE EQUIVALENT TO FOR REPLACING THE AGAVE???????

21. Rhonda D says:

1. healing nutrients

2. Grown from the earth (from my garden)

3. organic if it comes from another garden.

Love your show 🙂 look foward to it everyday!
    Thanks for all you hard work.

22. stephanie says:

Great topic-as I ate my congealed smoothie with a spoon. Green slop! Glad I had my green veggie juice this morning but now I’m wondering about the life force in my green slop. It’s loaded with potent superfoods, powders and herbs…but I’m not feeling the life force and I’m NOT feeling hydrated.

So, 1. Life force meaning max 5 day shelf life (I live in NYC and don’t have a garden!)
    2. Not from a package
    3. Grew in the sun with clean rain and clean air….

My list is way long but that’s what comes to mind as I put the green slop down!

23. Chel says:

For moi, I’d say…
    1.Enzymatically Active (its ALIIIIIVE!)
    2. Organic (pesticides are poison, not food)
    3. Unprocessed (Dehydrated gourmet raw foods are fun but they definitely don’t feel the same)

and one must always eat with LOVE and GRATITUDE for the true nourishing experience that is raw food 🙂

24. Raw food
    – Original Enymes intact (not heated over 107 C) (i.e. that may discount certain fermented foods)
    – Part of our natural vegan food (i.e. fruits, Vegetables, small quantities of Nuts/seeds and other fibrous plants which promote digestive health). e.g. Grains, Legumes and certain harder starches are not our natural food (i.e. difficult to impossible for us to eat raw…i.e. although these foods can save us when better foods become less available but they usually need to be cooked before we can consume them…a survival adaptation that’s become habitual in our society).
    – Fresh and Ripe when eaten.

25. Ginny says:

Raw Foods–
    1) the food must be as close to its original form, or unprocessed

2) must cause me to feel good after I eat it–in my stomach, in my energy level, and causing no “brain fog”

3) must be either from my garden, or from a source that I trust to handle the food at low temperatures

4) organic, but more importantly affordable

26. Laura says:

I think Dr. Graham’s got it down. Sounds like John gets that too.

27. Pam de Jager says:

Living food for living bodies, (raw is life)Proccessed and dead food, diseased and dead bodies.

28. Nancy says:

The http://www.rawfoods.com brought up several pages of raw foods web site listings, so is there a more specific way to get to his site rather than wade through the dozens upon dozens of ones that the computer brings up??

29. Dale says:

Off the subject but where can you buy raw can juice