How to Pick Nettles and Raw Macadamia Nuts at Glen Ivy Farm – The Renegade Health Show Episode #281

Tuesday Apr 7 | BY |

We spent a few days at Glen Ivy Farm in Corona, CA…

We were definitely spoiled! 🙂

Coming from Connecticut, it’s not often you can pick literally dozens of foods right off the tree. Glen Ivy Farm is certified organic and you can go and get fresh produce if you’re in the area!

Go ahead and check out how Sergio, the farm manager, pulls nettles out of the ground… as well as shows us how to crack open macadamia nuts straight from the tree.

Your question of the day: What is your favorite food to pick?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

If you want to get some of the fresh, organic produce from Glen Ivy Farm, please find out more information by clicking here!

1. dg says:

Mention of stinging nettles reminded me of one of Matt Monarch’s webcasts where he discussed and demonstrated use of the plant for hair loss prevention, he seemed quite brave about getting stung:

2. John Thornley says:

The last time I picked any fruit from a tree or plant was many years ago; I grew up in smoggy San Fernando Valley.

3. Dawn B says:

Mmm, anything that I can pick myself is my favorite 😉
    But, seriously, wild food would probably be purslane or wild plums.
    I might try gathering mesquite beans this summer.

4. natalya says:

Anything edible, which is not up high on the tree.

5. karen says:

We grew sweet tender aparagus and it was rawsomely fab and unlike any asparagus previously bought. After eating our grown asparagus by grabbing it as tender shoots from the yard, we no longer like the store bought.

6. Russ says:

Dejavu with the video

7. Suzanne says:

My favorite wild food is Miners Lettuce. So crunchy and fresh. It reminds me of a sunflower sprout mixed with spinach.

8. zyxomma says:

My favorite food to pick here in NYC is purslane. It used to grow right on my block, under a tree, but someone tore it out (it’s NOT a weed) & planted flowers. Oh, well, they meant well. Still plenty of lamb’s quarters around, & dandelions abound. Ah, wild salad, I’ll be eating you soon! There are mulberry trees in Ft. Tryon Park, & I always collect some of them (wild strawberries, too, but not many).

9. Jamie says:

Thank you for updating on itunes!

Kevin, I could really use some help. I am a first time gardener. I have a few small areas in my yard that will get enough sun to grow some greens. I’d like to grow as much as I can for smoothies and juices and I would like to do it in a way that maximizes my yield and also the ability to grow as far into the fall-winter as possible (I am zone 7 VA). I can’t find any references for growing year round gardens and yet I understand that some kale or collard greens can even grow in the winter or even in shade. Any help you can provide would be appreciated!

10. Joseph says:

You replied the last part of the video twice.
    Still not sure about the nettles. Not friends with them yet.

11. Joseph says:

Would of helped if I noticed Spelling errors before submitting.

Nice surprice seeing Matt and Angela with you.

12. Beatriz says:

hmmmm i just realized i hardly do any fruit picking, unless i’m at the river.. where i eat as i pick haws… because it’s probably the only edible berry my inexperienced eyes allow me to recognize ;P

13. linda says:

Tomatoes……………and eat them on the spot:)

14. Elizabeth says:

dandelions!

15. DebB says:

When we go to the western side of Washington State – berries just grow EVERYwhere! And I do mean everywhere… So, that’s my favorite food to pick when we’re over there.

On a side note – us kids used to pick mulberries on our farm in Illinois but my parents would tell us to leave them alone – they were only good for the birds to eat – ha!

Debbie *Ü*

16. Elizabeth says:

What can you do with raw nettles, other than sun tea? How do you prepare it so that it doesn’t sting?

17. Laurel says:

Blueberries! 🙂

18. Christina says:

My fav food to pick would have to be wild blackberries when I visit family in Southern Oregon. More of them malke it into our bellies than into the house. I also had the joy of picking some wild apples when staying at a friends family estate in Vermont. YUM. Now stinging nettles I have yet to eat. Altho I did always have to keep a couple of burdock roots on hand to juice for when the kids would fall in or step on some nettles growing in the backyard back in Ca.

19. Cindy says:

Persimmons because most people around here don’t have the patience to wait for them to ripen! Figs too!

20. Jayne Eubanks says:

I haven’t picked any food in years but I remember picking what we called wild pecans from the bottom of a dried out creek while living in Abilene Texas. These nuts tasted incredible and my mother used to put them in pecan pie. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

21. Janet says:

My favorite wild food to pick is paw paw. They are one of the only trees native America. I picked them as part of a conservation group so that they had enough seeds to preserve the plant for the future. They taste kinda like a banana-mango if you pick them ripe enough. Watch for mosquitos through as it seems that ripening paw paws coincide with the height of mosquito season. You also need one of those long pole/apple tree pickers to get the fruit cause the trees are tall.

I also found some wild persimmon trees one day on a walk in my area and now I go there yearly to pick them! Awesome!

22. dede says:

Kevin – – you are looking healthier and stronger with every single show – the road must agree with you 🙂
    Annmarie – you look as beautiful as ever 🙂 – hugs, Dede

23. Erin says:

wild blackberries

24. horst says:

WORLD BEST NUTCRACKER

raw-pleasure.com.au

cracks MACADAMIA NUTS easy

25. Andrew Norris says:

Raw nettles go well in a Banana Smoothie. It takes away the sting. As does drying them out or juicing them.

26. Teresa says:

Re: Removing Nettle Stings

To take away the sting of nettle just crush one of the nettle leaves and rub it on the sting. My Grandmother also taught us to rub wet clay on a nettle sting or insect sting when we were children.

27. Pat says:

Years ago, I’d tell my beau that I was going to hunt for our dinner. Then I’d go in the backyard and pick tomatoes and basil…:-)

28. Dr Rona says:

Kevin, Ann Marie, Angela and Matt ~ It was really nice to meet you all this evening. Sorry I didn’t get to meet J5 or see the KW but it’s nice to have met you all face to face. All the best. Good night. Rona 🙂

29. jane says:

kevin and anne marie, mmmmm yum oooh aahhh doesnt actully cut the mustard! i love watching your progress and new discoveries however this was your first time with fresh macadamias and you did not describe the difference between fresh and store bought – folk would like to hear well this one would oh and my favourite wild picked food is FIG sweetly succulent sun warmed and sexy

30. Elena says:

Blueberries!

31. Jen Bing says:

Kevin, you made me laugh out loud watching you pick those nettles. Thank you 🙂
    I actually don’t pick anything from the wild… But this has motivated me to go and pick the dandelions in the wilds of my garden and then google to see what I am supposed to do with them. Thanks again guys. Jen

32. Jes says:

I love pine needles… or any evergreen tree leaves. chew em up and spit em out!

33. Sylvia says:

My favorite food to pick would be gooseberries, currants, and walnuts. When I was little my grandparents had a walnut tree in their back yard, it was humngous tree and no one but me could climb it 🙂 We also had a lot of apple, pear, plum, and sour cherry trees, I use to live in paradise… I miss it.

34. Linda Miller says:

Last summer I picked purslane out of our garden to put in my green smoothies. I was so excited over that. I now have a book on wild edible plants and hope to identify many more weeds to eat.

35. Michele says:

I was told years ago that there is a certain plant (I don’t remember the name) that grows right near nettle that you can rub on and it takes the sting away.

36. ida margrethe says:

Awww..netteles. I remember when I was younger my mum used to make me this great nettle soup! good times.
    what other than sun-tea do you suggest to use the nettles for??

And when it comes to pick food out in the wild, im all over that! At home i pick everything thats worth picking; nettles, mushrooms, blueberry, raspberry, blackberry, blackcurrant, redcurrant, cherries.. and so on! love it

37. Jimmie says:

When I lived in Seattle I would pick blackberries(the higher up ones) on the trail in the doggie park on the walk to Lake Washington. Yum.

38. Kelly says:

wild huckleberries…so amazing-there are some benefits to living up north!

39. Sherri says:

Thanks for the great video, wild food collecting is near, and dear to my heart. Growing up here in the lower part of Oregon, wild berries are everywhere in the summer. I live smack dab in the middle of berry central.
    As a child I would hop on my bike, ans ride the mile or so to my best friend’s house, and on a bike it should have only taken me afew minutes to get there, but I never seem to get there in less than a 45 minutes or so. I would stop at every berry patch, blackberry, blackcaps, wild raspberry, and my favorite, wild strawberries. They look like alpine strawberries, very small, but the purfume is intoxicating. The flavor is strawbery from the store times five, and when they are fully ripe the sweetness is intense, that is if you can beat the birds, and animals to them. I have not found them for a long time:o(, but I did buy some organic alpine strawberries for my garden this year!!! Ah, alittle taste of youth. Happy picking everyone. Get out there, and fall in love with your food, earn it, and it will be more special than you can imagine.

40. stella says:

Michele that plant is called dock we were always taught to use dock leaves to rub on the sting and it does work.

41. Tonya says:

The mulberries at Glen Ivy Springs. Went today to pick up avocados for the IEOPBC. The fruit there was soooooooo good right off the tree!!