Do Excalibur Dehydrator Sheets Contain Teflon – The Renegade Health Show Episode #276

Tuesday Mar 31 | BY |

We actually didn’t know whether or not the excalibur dehydrator sheets contained teflon…

So we did some research and found out the scoop for you! 🙂

We also cover questions about fermented foods, organic spices, if you can blend wheatgrass, and how to keep fruit puddings fresh.

Your question of the day: What is your most pressing question for us?

If you want to check out mountain rose herbs, click here!

Ke

1. Bette says:

Fun show. I love Jonny 5 wanting to be the star.
    I always understood that they call soaked nuts sprouted but they do not have shoots like sprouts.
    Question…why dont we see scenery. You two might be sitting in rv in CT for all we can see. hahaaha..I want to see and hear about scenery where you are.!!!!

2. Rawbin says:

I’m glad you explained why I should be okay using my teflex sheets. It makes sense to soak the nuts at room temperature.

Your cat is a total SPAZ!!! Love him!

I see that you’re signed up to appear at the Raw Spirit Festival, but I would like more specifics… Will you be at the Raw Spirit Festival East Coast Washington DC/Maryland area August 39th & 30th? http//:www.rawspirit.com
    (((hugs)))
    -Rawbin

3. Nicole says:

Question: which type of fasting do you think is more effective and/or easier for a beginner to carry out, a water fast or a juice fast? I’ve read several books, some arguing juice is more effective and easier for most people to follow, while others say water is the only true fast that allows the body to rely totally on itself for cleansing. Any thoughts? Thanks!

4. Beatriz says:

When are you guys coming to Puerto Rico?
    When are you guys making a raw veggie burger?
    And what’s all this interesting talk about fermented foods? Any recipes? They sound like they would help with acne because they restore the intestinal flora, correct me if I’m wrong?
    Love the show!! Since I started watching I never miss it!! By the way, I agree with Annmarie, Stealer sounds cooler for a girl ;P

5. bryan&wendy says:

from everything i’ve read you mainly soak all nuts & seeds to remove the enzyme inhibitors aside from wanting to sprout what can be sprouted

6. Cynthia says:

Aloha,
    My question is PLEASE,PLEASE……..
    Where and how do I get the free copy of your new book HIGH RAW??
    Every email I get from you says to go to http://www.gohighraw.com to get your free copy, but it is not there? Am I missing something??
    I am struggling to get back on raw and am having a tough time, so I need all the help I can get! Thank You!
    Warmest Aloha’s,
    Cynthia

7. Lynn says:

Kevin, My question is: I’m a 55-year-old woman, about 25 lbs overweight, with an underactive thryoid. I’m trying to train for my fifth half-marathon after taking about a year off for a knee injury. I almost always feel a bit exhausted when running. I’ve been transitioning to raw for about 6 months, and am trying to figure out what I should eat before I run. I’m looking for that energy that I have in my head when I start out. Also, my stomach has been pretty upset the last half-dozen times I’ve run. Should I be running on an empty stomach?

8. Aurelie says:

Is Lugol’s solution still available? They used to use it at Gerson.

9. Aurelie says:

Where do you get garlic sauerkraut?

10. Aurelie says:

I don’t like kim chee. What else can be fermented?

11. Aurelie says:

Where do you get coconut kifir? (no milk?)

12. Laura says:

Do you know a good source to get TRULY RAW almonds that are also nice and fresh? Can you get them at all anymore anywhere?

BTW: I prefer parchment paper for the dehydrator to wax paper.

Thanks for the fun show. Johnny 5 adds some great humor. Animals are awesome.

13. Jamie says:

Are you still uploading onto itunes? That is how I got hooked on your show but there have not been any new shows lately via itunes…. please update!!!

14. Yves says:

Do you have a recipe for ginger ale drink?

Yves.

15. Peter Reichenbach says:

Do you have any bread alternatives recipes that is no gluten etc

16. John Thornley says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie, you two are great. Your learning a lot of what is good for the human body; how about your cat? Do you know what is the best food for cats and dogs? Maybe you do, but we can all learn more,right? Everyone with a cat or dog should have this book: “Food Pets Die For”. I think it will eventually transform the pet food industry. If you have time check out what readers are saying about it at http://www.amazon.com
    Best health to you and your pets.

17. Russ says:

I use Parchment paper in my dehydrator. This way there is no worries of the wax getting on my food.

18. Zen Dood says:

Your cat is NOT interested in a new brother or sista in the family!!

19. linda says:

have you researched the black seed looking things in
    bananas???????????? i have read on the Internet about some of this……………do you think they are parasites???
    they start at the bottom of the banana and work them selves up……………….i find i throw most
    of the banana in the garbage!!!!!!!!

20. Linda Hendrex says:

I have occasionally seen almonds sprout, even without a shell.

21. Suzanne says:

My most pressing question right now: Do you have any information on how to feed a raw vegan diet to dogs and cats? We adopted a little dog from the pound 10 years ago, and his health is not good. We also have a large dog about three years old adopted from a rescue group. A few days ago a cat showed up at our door and has adopted us as his servants (you cat people know what I mean). I don’t like feeding meat-based, chemical-laden commercial foods, and even homemade, but cooked foods are not ideal. How can we switch to raw and give them fresh, enzyme-rich meals based on canine and feline requirements? Help!

I love the light-hearted, joking, happy style of your show and the tremendous variety in topics. Keep up the good work!

22. Virginia Brown says:

Keven,
    I have been drinking wheatgrass juice for about 15 years. When I first started I got information from Ann Wigmore. I think it was in her wheatgrass book that said not to eat the wheatgrass. That is why I needed a wheatgrass juicer. I don’t remember the reason why but, I suspect that it may have something to do with the fact that old blenders did not have the power to really grind up the grass and break the cell walls. Our bodies can’t break the cellwalls so the grinding does that. I have used a meat grinder to grind the grass and then squeeze the juice with my hand. It is really messy but, my juicer is really heavy. We travel between two residences and I don’t always want to lug it along. I used to have a little handcrank juicer but, it is somewhere between the two residences. It will turn up sometime. I just watched this episode and listened to the question from Jeff. I just wanted to pass along what I remembered. I don’t know if a blender can really juice by breaking the cell membrane of just chop it up really fine. It would sure be nice if the blender could really liquify the grass.

23. christine says:

-what do you eat in a day? what do you think of the 80/10/10 diet? i just bought the book and its blowing my mind. i am just really starting out on raw. i do eat a TINY bit of cooked grains to fill me up…sometimes that is raw nuts and seeds, but i am trying to figure out if its better to eat the cooked grain and not the nuts and seeds since they are so fat-heavy, and eating that much contradicts the high-fruit diet Dr. Graham is speaking of. i know i can email him, i just wanted to hear your opinions. thank you!

24. Will says:

Why is over-consumption of nuts bad?

25. Alicia says:

Hi Kevin and Ann Marie – I met you in Austin you guys are great!

My understanding about the teflex sheets is at low temperatures like dehydrating it’s not a problem.. It’s not actually cooking a dehydrator draws out moisture – it’s worth checking into more though….

However instead of wax paper I suggest brown parchment paper.

Happy Travels

Alicia

26. Ellen says:

I love that cat!

You two aren’t so bad either!

27. Dr Rona says:

Fun show. Thanks. No pressing questions right now from me, but wanted to say hi to you three.
    HI! 😀
    xo…Enjoying your shows,
    Dr Rona and Kehli the dog (she slept thru this one so as not to disturb Johnny 5)

28. Christa says:

what,in your opinion is the ideal diet within the raw food diet? With so many different variations, it is hard to really know generally, what is the ideal way of eating that most people thrive on. Some experts suggest a primarily high fat diet with the use of some some superfoods and plant foods, while others suggest a low fat,high fruit diet. There are so many other versions as well. Most people on cooked food diets just assume that all people on a raw food diet, are all eating the same, therefore the results will be the exact same. As you know, that couldn’t be further from the truth, some people thrive while others may easily give up or have unpleasant side effects eating raw, and I believe that this is due to not eating foods in the correct ratio. I am still confused as to which is the best way of eating. Maybe you could share some of your own personal opinions and experiences. Also, do you think that superfoods are mostly hype or worth the price tag?

29. We miss you guys! Paul and I love the baby idea 🙂

Our thoughts are with you as you both continue your tour. Come back to Austin TX soon?

We are looking forward to the Gerson Institute show.

Bye for now.

Dianne and Paul

30. Ariane says:

HI YOU 3 !
    YOUR CAT IS SO COOL, HE SPEAKS!
    WHAT DO YOU FEED HIM?
    RAW FOOD?
    WHAT KIND?
    I HAVE A CAT TOO!
    THANK YOU, MIAWWWWWW!

31. ida margrethe says:

Cheers on the feedback guys.
    I’ve actually read that soaked nuts gets ‘activated’ not sprouted, as you said (www.livingearth.com.au -> http://www.raw-chocolate.net/raw-chocolate.php?chocolate-bar=almond).
    More enzymes thats all I want!

We have a ‘Steelers Club’ in the town i live, and they have a deal on called a sixpack – where u get a huge steak(gross) and 5 beers for $15AUD. Thats all i can think about when u mention Steelers ;]

Don’t really have any pressing questions at all really.
    Have fun on the road!

32. Connie says:

My pressing question right now is: how can you grow vegetables year round (or almost year-round) in a northern climate. I live in zone 3a.

I’ve been reading stuff by Eliot Coleman, but am looking for more proof that it can actually be done where I live in Northern Ontario.

Thanks,
    Connie

33. ann gleason says:

I saw your show about agave nectar, and was wondering if you still think that agave is processed just as much, or more than, high fructose corn syrup? Is there agave that is not processed that way, such as on sunfood.com?

34. eve says:

Anna Marie dp you know how to make tahini from scratch???

35. Lisa says:

I was so exited that the topic was blending weat grass because last week I tried to blend some wheat grass into a smoothie. I was very disappointed to discover that my vitamix wasn’t a match for the grass.
    I would like to know if anyone out there has had a different experience, any tips?

thanks Lisa

36. Anthony says:

Hey, Kevin, I wanted to suggest a health expert that I would love for you to interview sometime in the future. Byron Richards, is a favorite of mine, though he is not a 100% raw foodist, he has over twenty years of exprience in the health industry and runs his own health website at Wellness Resources where he sells some of the highest quality supplements available. He also does a weekly podcast where he shares his thoughts on new studies that recently came out and then answers reader’s questions. I would really appreciate if you could have him on your show some time. He is so insightful and possess a great amount of knowledge. Thanks so much Annmarie and Kev.

37. Barb says:

What are your thoughts on magnesium stearate, a binder that is used in almost every nutritonal supplement? I have read some reports on the toxicity of magnesium stearate some time ago. Supposedly, it creates a biofilm that covers your entire intestines which prevents absorbtion of not only the supplements that contain it, but also foods eaten. Another problem with magnesium stearate is that it accumulates in the body without being able to excrete out. I recently heard some more information about the toxicity on Dr.Mercola’s website. He believes, along with some other health professionals, that it should be avoided at all costs. Have you heard any information regarding this? I believe that there is some emphasis on using high quality ingrediants in supplements, however, binders that are used are highly overlooked in regards to safety or bioavailability. I think that if anything, this should be a beginning of studying and questioning all ingrediants that are used, and the effects of them on people who consume them. Let me know your thoughts.

38. jodie says:

LOL at your funny cat.

39. Mary says:

Hi,
    You mentioned fermented foods and I don’t make much but coconut keifer (when I have time) and I’ve tried Kombucha. Both turn sour, the kombucha more like vinegar, and I don’t like them (though I’ll blend a little coconut keifer in my smoothies). Is this what they should be like, or am I doing it wrong?

40. Mary says:

Oh, I thought of something else. I am trying to go more raw, but my husband doesn’t want to and my kids are ok with some of my smoothies. My son is allergic to everything – heavy metal poisoning (aka autism)which we are treating biomedically with great success, though we are still taking out metals after 3.5 years. Anyway, I appreciate the shows and have a couple of friends who are also starting to watch and try to learn. I teach, so don’t have much time to get with the program and try to learn new recipes, but hopefully this summer I can do more.
    Are you going to be in central Florida sometime?

41. Jenny says:

Hey, thanks for the great shows. Would it be possible to have a show on how beginners can get started with sprouts? A show that shows us step by step how to take our seeds and get them sprouting. There is a lot of info out there about sprouting but – as you know – there is nothing like seeing it in action to help digest the information and get started ourselves 🙂

42. Lisa says:

Speaking of babies, my most pressing question is this: Is there anything in the world of contraceptives that is vegan and non toxic????? And doesn’t have moral/not moral baggage???

43. Laura Sholtz says:

Hello guys,

This is a question I’ve asked before, and if you’ve already answered it, I missed that. So here goes again: do you know if Calcium Aspartate Anhydrous is as good as the ads make it out to be? If not, what is the most absorbable calcium product? Yes, dark leafy greens are wonderful, but I also want to supplement.

Hope you are enjoying your fantastic odyssey!

Thanks,
    Laura

44. rose says:

i have been raw for a while but i have developed dark circles under my eyes.

any ideas on why and how they could dissapear.

thanks!

45. HippyChick says:

This is a question for Anne Marie? How long she been raw and does she still get a menstrual cycle with bleeding that is? I heard raw food eating in women eventually heals the haemorage of menstruation. Is this true?

46. Erin says:

Besides eating raw food, what do you do to increase your health? Garden, exercise, yoga, meditation, etc?

Also, are you able to grow some of your own food or get fresh produce from a local farmer’s market or CSA? What is your favorite local food?

47. Meredith Lownes says:

My 21 yr old daughter is concerned about birth control methods. What do you feel is the safest for one’s body yet reliable.
    Thanks!

48. Sylvie says:

1. When you soak nuts and seeds do they change they nutritional value/ are they less dense in terms of calories?

2. I noticed that on packaged food there are two measurements for ex. hemp seeds 3 Tbls ( 30g) are 171 calories, but when I measure out 3 Tbls they are not equall to 30g. same thing with lentils. they say 1/2 cup is about 100 calories and then 80g is 100 calories but when I measure 80g is more then 1/2 cup. so finally to get to my question…What measure should i go by?

3. Is cooked brown rice bad for optimal health? What grains and beans are best?

49. The video from Angela Stokes on Rejuvelac was great! I make it all the time. Now is there one for Kombucha?

50. Hi guys ,
    I have put wheatgrass in a vitamix and it ended up making a green liquid but the fibers turned into hairlike texture. I guess they were not totally breaking down.

51. Rachel says:

Do you know if Teeth that are transparent at the tips can be restored?

52. Eve says:

I have had a question on my mind for a while:
    What are the nutritional facts for seeds versus sprouts?
    More precicely chia seeds versus sprouted chia, hemp seeds versus sprouted hemp, and flax seed versus sprouted flax.
    All of these are often used unsprouted, or just put in water (chia and flax) for just some minutes.
    But what if you really sprout them, so they grow a tail? Is it worth the while to bother?
    It is said sprouts get more protein. How much more? And what happends with the fat when sprounted? Will I get less Omega-3 if I sprout??

I would REALLY REALLY appreciate your insight on this one!

Take care, and bless the cat! 😀

53. Amanda says:

Since you asked….

I have a couple of questions for you:
    1) Are you coming to Winnipeg, Canada or anywhere nearby?

2) When and how would a person go about introducing raw greens to a baby? Should it be in drink form? Is 10 months too young (ie can their digestive system digest it)?

54. Erika Matt says:

To answer the raw almond question. The only source are almond growers. I ordered some last year and have been keeping them in the refrigerator. They are great.

55. Toni says:

To make coconut kieffer, does the coconut water have to be from fresh, green coconuts, or can you make it with the coconut water that is sold in the cardboard containers purchased at Whole Foods?

56. marlene says:

do you think it’s worth it to have health insurance for those of us who primarily use alternative medicine? What about catostrophic insurance?

57. Dawn B says:

D&S Ranches in California supposedly have come up with a way to pasturize almonds that still leaves them living. Have you heard of this and is there any way to verify this claim?
    How long do soaked almonds last in the fridge and still be good?

58. Tova says:

Hey Kev,
    I am totally pickled by food combining. I understand it’s purpose, but it seems like most raw food recipes don’t follow food combining rules, but many raw food programs talk about it. How important is food combining. Do you guys do it?
    SOMEBODY please let me know!
    Thanks!
    Tova : )

59. Jeni says:

Hi Guys

Love that cat reminds me of my tigger when she was alive ALWAYS TALKING TO ME.

I want to ask how to do you get around the texture of foods that you used to eat that are not raw? like toasted sourdough sandwich, or stuffed paratha bread ( that is indian brown bread) What are the good alternatives?

Jeni

60. Sylvie says:

My question is concerning soy beans and edname, are those bad for health or just soy products are bad and therefore should be avoided?

61. mary kay says:

RE juicing wheatgrass in your Vita-Mix: Yes, I do believe it is gentler to use a regular wheatgrass juicer, but more troublesome/time consuming, so I’ll do more wheatgrass if I put it in my blender with a little water. THEN run through a milk nut bag. This takes out the hair-like fibers. Then mix it in with other juices etc. No, it’s probably not quite as good, but if I have to use my wheatgrass juicer only, I’d do it less often.

Mary Kay

62. Barb says:

I also wanted to know if there is a natural, safe and effective birth control that is realistic for the long run? I saw some other questions up above regarding this issue, and I would really love to hear your opinions on the matter. I think that it is a wide spread issue that effects so many of us, especially those who are health consious, yet is more underground and rarely addressed. It is important, however, and worth at least beginning a disscussion. Thanks so much guys. Love your show!!

63. Metta says:

Instead of wax paper, it would be better to use unbleached parchment paper (Beyond Gourmet is one brand). You don’t get that waxy stuff on your food.

64. Sylvie says:

I noticed that lentils and garbanzo beans are very popular in the raw community. Are they more beneficial or is there something wrong with beans like pinto, navy, black beans, or kidney beans?

65. Maria Shere says:

Thank you. I was getting ready to call Excaliber, myself. I don’t like the waste of using paper, but the teflon issue has been a concern.

I am looking forward to your visit to the Gratitude Cafe!!!!!

What a wonderful journey you are taking us all on with your tour around the country!!!! Thanks for sharing yourselves as well as your knowledge!!!!

66. Jasmine says:

My most pressing question has to do with skin care:

Since I’ve converted from a standard vegan diet to a high raw food vegan diet five months ago, my skin has undergone some undesirable changes; acne. I know this is a common symptom of detox and it’s possible there is no natural way around it besides letting my body get rid of the toxins, but I was wondering if you knew of any remedies that might help with this situation?

67. deb says:

Yeds Kevin you can sprout nuts. I tried many times and could not do it but then I got my Almonds from Victoria and they sprouted in the second week that I had them in a wet dish towel . I had to keep wetting the towel to keep them moist . I assume that the reason that they wouldnt sprout was because I did not have the patience to wait that long I am not sure but I don’t think I ever let them try for two weeks before.