Should You Use Hydrogen Peroxide on Sprouts – The Renegade Health Show Episode #269

Friday Mar 20 | BY |

After the Tree of Life episode we got a lot of questions about how to sprout…

Today, I run through all of them from how much hydrogen peroxide to use, what kind, if you should refrigerate your sprouts, how to sprout sunflower seeds and more. 🙂

I know you’ll like this episode… real laid back, fun and informative!

Take a watch…

Your question of the day: Wish my brother a happy birthday! 🙂

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

Here’s where you can get a 12% discount on appliances, food products and more… click here!

1. Bette says:

I love how cats know exactly where to place their backsides. Jonny 5 knows he wants recognition too.haha Hes so cute.
    I missed what was said about cats n countertops. I am not germ phobic but for me,my kitty digs in her litter box with her paws so I surely dont want them on the counters.
    I wondered when Jonny 5 jumped up by your food prep.
    I think it is important,especially when preparing food for others,like in your talk last night,to have the utmost cleanliness. No one wants to purposely eat others germs. When someone munches while making food,touches their face or their clothes or even worse,blows their nose and does a quick run of hands under faucet without soap…then makes my food,in a public food place….ugh.
    Ok have fun…thankx

2. I went from store to store here one week trying to find 3% food grade hydrogen peroxide and got a bunch of strange looks. Even the drug store people didn’t know what I wanted! They all pointed me to the 35% hydrogen peroxide! (And some pointed me to other kinds of cleaners.)

So, my question is–can I take 35% hydrogen peroxide and dilute it down to 3%? (I guess that would be 12 parts water to one part hydrogen peroxide.) Or would I poison myself if I tried that???

Thanks for the education!

Connie Lacelle
    Home and School Solutions

3. Dr Rona says:

happy birthday kevin’s brother; it’s my sisters birthday today too!

if you guys drive up through ventura….u better stop here to visit!
    don’t miss it!

🙂
    dr rona

4. Susana says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MARK! 😀
    LIVE RAWsome! 😀

5. Katie says:

Happy Birthday, Mark!!!!!

6. Sean wagner says:

I think You have to Dilute the 35%.

7. Linda Holloway says:

Happy Birthday, Mark! and good show Annmarie and Kevin you’all!

8. esther says:

Happy Birthday Kevin’s brother Mark!!

Gee, I didn’t know about the peroxide issue for sprouting…is that an absolute necessary thing to do? I’ve just rinsing with filtered water.

I’m so excited to hear that Kale Whale is traveling up the coast of CA soon! When will you all be in NorCal East Bay? Who will you be visiting here? I don’t want to miss meeting my favorite Internet Show Hosts!

Thanks!
    esther

9. Peg says:

Happy Birthday, Mark!!

10. Cathy says:

Hi yes I would like to know the answer to that as well. I just got 2 new sprout dual trays. Take care!

11. John Thornley says:

Happy Birthday Mark! Birthdays come and go faster than you can imagine. Believe me, I know.

12. Irina says:

Have an awesome birthday, Mark!

13. Carol Kraft says:

Fun show! Cat adds that extra ambience,bum and all!
    Happy Birthday Mark! Enjoy your day without your crazy brother Kevin (lovable crazy:-))

Carol

14. Elaine says:

Kevin and Annmarie,
    Loved your show today!!! What’s your schedule up the California Coast? Will you be in Ventura or Santa Barbara or Camarillo? If so, when?
    What’s the benefit of using hydrogen peroxide for sprouting? I’ve sprouted alfalfa and sunflower seeds with success without hydrogen peroxide.
    I’ve tried to sprout broccoli seeds and not been successful with that project. Help!
    Keep on keepin’ on y’all!! 🙂
    Gratefully,
    Elaine

15. Amy says:

Truly fun & carefree show. Loved the downhome relaxed feel & Loved the Ya’ll that was inadvertantly added! A big Happy Birthday to Mark! Thanx again for all the great information, as always!!!

16. Sudhakar says:

Hi Kevin, Awesome video, keep up the good work
    and by the way Happy Birthday to your brother.

With warm wishes,
    Sudhakar

17. Pam says:

Use 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide at one part with 11 parts distilled water.
    Far safer, as 3% is usually adulterated with chemicals.

18. giselle cioraru says:

Happy Birthday
    How young R U ?

19. Laura says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

20. Rose says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. Susan says:

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Mark – Happy Birthday to you! Wishing a fabulous birthday day, week and month.

Celebrate you!

22. del says:

I’ve never used Hydrogen peroxide for sprouting. If you do use it make sure it’s food grade and not the stuff off the shelf at the drug store. If a person is experiencing mold on their sprouts, best to increase the air flow first especially if the temperatures are high. That should do it otherwise change the source of seed. Buy it from somewhere else and see if that works better. It could have come from the seed source.

You can use pretty much any container to grow sprouts in. But another source for flat is from Hippocrates Health Institute. The price is pretty good and the flats are very sturdy and will last a long time. Another source to look at is ask the people who sell wheat grass if you can have there left overs after they harvest them. I picked up a couple at Whole Foods for nothing. Usually they just toss them. Better to reuse them again.

23. del says:

Happy Spring Equinox everyone!

24. Karen says:

Happy birthday Mark. Best wishes.
    Karen
    P.S. Kevin and Annmarie I think ya’ll should start using ya’ll in everday language…spread it to the north east :). Be safe.

25. Phyllis says:

Happy Birthday Mark! Hope you have fun!

26. Jodi says:

Hi there from New Zealand. First things first… a very Happy Birthday Mark. Hope you enjoy your day. Just wanted to ‘briefly’ say that I have been sprouting for 26 years…. I don’t usually use 3% Hydrogen Peroxide on my sprouts [I do use it around my kitchen & bathroom for cleaning purposes etc though & other uses but too long to explain here] What I do use is 6-10ppm Colloidal Silver instead [which I also make at home]
    I don’t put it in the soak water. I spray the colloidal silver over the sprouts once they are sprouting/growing. It is easier if I am growing them in trays but I still spray them in the growing jars as well. The silver deals with any issues the same way as the hydrogen peroxide & no… you can’t ‘taste’ silver in your sprouts. Usually I only spray them once. Once they have grown, the silver also makes the sprouts ‘last’ longer in the fridge [even though we do eat them fast, but I make heaps as we are a large family] Thanks Kevin for another informative & enjoyable show.

27. JOY says:

I GET MY FOOD GRADE HYDROGEN PEROXIDE FROM:

THE DANCING ALGAE CO.

BILL IS VERY KIND,GENTLE,AND KNOWLEDGEABLE.

HE HAS GREAT ORGANIC CHIA SEEDS ALSO.

🙂 JOY

28. CINDY R. says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARK! ENJOY IT !

29. DebB says:

Happy Birthday Wishes from WA State to Mark!! I hope you had as beautiful a day as we had here in Washington today – gorgeous!

Kevin ~ You mentioned coming up the CA coast – are you then heading up to OR and WA?

Debbie *Ü*

30. And a very happy birthday to you Mark Gianni, brother of Kevin Gianni… May the Laws of Attraction speed you on to your highest Joys and fulfilment.

31. Linda Miller says:

I can’t find hydrogen peroxide at my health food store but bought citric acid which they promote using with sprouts. What do you know about that as an alternative?

Happy birthday, Mark.

32. Marie Bulfinch says:

Cute show. Loved it.
    On the sprouts, once you refridgerate them
    I put a wet paper towel over the top to keep them moist, refreshing once a day, keeping them moist and not dried out. Now I can use them all before they start looking straggly.

Marie

33. hey guys, I have some great resources for fresh, high germination sprouting seeds, and also some good ways to grow sprouts and greens since I have been growing them for 30+ years. would love to share them with your viewers.
    You need VERY LITTLE hydrogen peroxide for sterilizing seed. That became part of growing process because of large growers having contamination. Put us small growers out of business way back when!
    Namaste.

34. Steve says:

I have had good luck with seeds and grains from
    http://www.sunorganicfarm.com . They also carry some great raw olives stuffed with JALAPENO PEPPERS!

Also received my first order from http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/
    great products, just wish they would put their Jojoba Oil in glass.

Very Happy Birthday to Mark!

35. Kat Kanning says:

I bought some nice little sprouting trays at Agway for cheap 🙂 They also sell a small amount of sprouting seeds, but they’re not organic.

36. Happy Birthday Mark!!!!

Just love how Johnnie 5 mooned the audience at the end of the show…

37. Teri says:

ya know , the more natural you three (jonny5 too) are the better these vids are . so don’t change a thing , its whats drawing real people to you. I appreciate every thing you guys ..er.. yaw’ll do for for me and everyone else its so important and needed. Lov the vids in the camper and lov seeing where yawll travel to. Teri

38. Food grade hydrogen peroxide is difficult to find here — non-existent in Israel—the regular peroxide is expensive. Is there anything I can use instead? I use a Freshlife sprouter (awesome way to grow loads of delicious sprouts) and tend to leave them in a bit longer, so the mold issue is problematic from time to time. To your brother Mark— Yom Huledet Sameach!! (Happy Birthday) — in Hebrew!
    Chana Rachel Mark

39. Bryan & Wendy says:

Happy Birthday Mark, today is also my sisters birthday , so happy birthday Traci. Kevin you can say y’all all you want, as for Anne Marie, we’re in North Carolina , thank you!(LOL) I’m just kidding we’re just laid back down here in the south. We love Y’ALL and hope Y’ALL make it to this neck of the woods.

40. marie says:

have a magical birthday mark!!!!

41. darlene kowal says:

Happy Birthday Mark!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a question in regards to sprouting. I have sprouted for a few years and have never used hydrogen peroxide. Why is hydrogen peroxide used? Is it unsafe to sprout without it and what is the process using the peroxide?

42. Geri says:

This was one of the funnier ones! I love it when you said you eat stuff if it falls on the floor! And the cats bum and how you covered it was soooo funny! Love you guys!
    Happy belated birthday Mark!!!!!

43. Nancy says:

The way to train a cat to stay off counters is called the “loud newspaper” trick. Practice first when you are someplace that the cat won’t see or hear you. Get some pages of newspaper and whack it on your other hand or on the counter top until you know how to do it so that it makes a loud sound. Then the next time Johnny five jumps up make the whack sound near the cat’s face but without touching the cat. If the cat doesn’t jump down, place the cat down. If the cat jumps back up, repeat the process. Cats are smart and learn very fast to associate that jumping on the counter results in an undesirable loud newspaper whack sound that is undesirable.
    Do this consistently without fail for the first few times and then you’ll never have to do it again because the cat will learn the food counter is off limits.
    You’ll soon have a well-behaved cat that wouldn’t even think of jumping on the counter! Be sure to never strike the cat with the newspaper. It’s only the sound effect that you want and it has to be done suddenly, the instant the cat jumps, so be on the ready.
    This trick has been around among cat owners as long as newspapers. It works not just with kittens from the outset, but with fully grown cats who have been in the habit for a long time.
    Just whack the counter next to Johnny five so as to startle him. There needs to be a little clear space so you have room on the counter to strike the newspaper in front of the cat’s face. Or, whack your other hand. The key is that it has to be done suddenly and loudly so as to startle him.
    After once or twice of that, you will be glad because then the cat will automatically associate aversion to the loud newspaper striking so near by, with jumping up there! Please notice that this training is harmless and humane to the cat who needs to learn some manners. Nothing actually touches or harms the cat, it is the startle effect. So practice without the cat present a few times to get the hang of how to make a newspaper bouquet and whack it fast for sound effect. Otherwise you will lose some viewers who are offended by the unsanitary condition of a cat on a kitchen counter. Otherwise while filming put the cat into a pet cage.

44. Katie says:

Sooo glad to meet a fellow dirtophile…I also eat stuff I drop on the floor and sometimes I kiss my husband after he’s been kissing the dog…eek the horror! Germs are our friends. Rock on Kevin.

45. Rhonda D says:

OMG, love you show,
    it’s part of my mornings.
    Love Johnny 5, cute even though he mooned us.
    LOL.
    have a wonderful time traveling!

46. marijana pontoni says:

i wish everything the best to your brother, kevin. he has birthday on the same day as my niece. that is happy day for my family too!

47. Helen says:

Hi Kevin,

I had heard that hydrogen peroxide was a carcinogenic substance if taken internally, is that not true? I want to learn to sprout at home, but I just get it from the grocery store so far. Is it safe to make and eat home sprouted seeds and legumes, how likelihood to getting food poisoning is it? I never give it to my six year old out of fear of this.

Thanks again,

Helen
    Thanks,

48. Sweet Cicely says:

Do you soak the seeds in the sea water first? Mist with the hydrogen peroxide as they are growing in the trays or jar?
    Thanks & Happy belated Birthday Mark ~~~

49. Lauri Harvey says:

I guess I didn’t realize how much I say Y’ALL. Now, I’m going to be self-conscious of it! Just be glad that I decided years ago to eliminate the word FIXIN to (Meaning.. GOING to.. for those of you up north) from my vocabulary or you’d really be sounding like a Texan!

I really enjoyed hanging with Y’ALL last week. Sorry I missed you at Central Market in San Antonio, Kevin. I didn’t realize an RSVP was required. I hope the box & foam I gave Ann Marie for packing works for Y’ALL. Wow! I guess I DO say Y’ALL a lot! 😉

Hope to see you again in Texas. Y’ALL come back now, hear!

Lauri Harvey
    Austin, Texas

Do you remember the suggestion I made about having a place for us to include our City and State or Country? I know you guys (does that sound better?) are busy, but it would be great if you or Heather could set that up as an option. I’d love to see where everyone is blogging from.

Happy late B-Day Mark!

50. Robin says:

It’s easy to think of sale prices, or percentages off, in your head. Like today:

12% of $3.00 is 36 cents. Just think of 12 cents off every dollar for 3 dollars – that’s 12 x 3 or 36.

51. Martha says:

Great question and answer session, I don’t use HP for my sprouts and I’ve never had a problem.
    I know of people who use HP (regular store bought) to breathe it in their lungs and have had lots of success with getting rid of problems with their lungs. Of course people brush their teeth with HP and they have good success with that – so I don’t think it is toxic but – I had a dog get into some poison one time and I had to give him a bunch of hydrogen peroxide to make him throw it up – it worked and my dog was saved. I do have a funny story to tell you about food grade h202 – I had diluted the concentrate down and put it in the fridge in a fiji water bottle. I had it labeled but also had told my daughter and my husband what it was and not to drink it, well he let a friend stay over after a night of football and too much beer. Yep you guessed it – he went to the fridge looking for water and saw the figi water bottle and of course he didn’t have his glasses on and he probably was still a little tipsy. Needless to say whatever was in his stomach he got rid of – plus some. He said he felt better than he had in a long time the next day and NO HANGOVER!!
    Ya’ll have a nice day ok?

52. Ginny says:

More birthday wishes for Kevin’s brother!!

Also some sprouting comments. I love Mumms from Canada online for seeds. Great selection and great prices and great people to deal with!

I jar sprout. Still find that the easiest and simplest and most effective. We travel often in our RV and I just look for a sunny spot for a few minutes every day.

As for sunflower seeds–I sprout them in a terra-cotta plant saucer. About $1-$2 at Walmart. Never use soap on them, just scrub well under running water, soak a few minutes, sprinkle with seeds. Easy and yummy. As soon as the hulls will slip off I take them off so the sprouts can green up. Easy and yummy. Happy Sprouting. Ginny

53. Patty Foley says:

Hi Keven,

In answer to your question on OceanGrown’s OceanSoluton. One gallon when mixed as directed makes 100 gallons and covers 10 acres. I have been sprouting with OceanSoluton now for 5+ years and the benefits outweight the cost. My sprouts last twice as long. Have more flavor but the real bonus is I save money, the sprouts are much more nutrient dense and I require less to satisfy my nutritional needs. Its an easy way to always have fresh living nutrient dense food available. The best way to use OceanSolution for your sprouts is to soak your seeds first in the diluted OceanSolution (1 part OS to 100 parts pure water) drain, use the drain water for your yard. Rinse well, Fill a spray bottle up with OceanSoluton Mix (1to100). After each rinse lightly spray your sprouts with the OS mix. If you are growing Wheatgrass please email me and I will send you OceanGrown’s wheatgrass growing manual. You can also use the same procedure for growing baby greens. It is best to use the soil method for baby greens.

Wishing you an Amazing Day!

Patty

54. Amanda says:

the Ocean Grown minerals are $80 a galloon.