How to Sprout: The Tree of Life Way – The Renegade Health Show Episode #266

Tuesday Mar 17 | BY |

I figured we’d give you this “green” episode on St. Patrick’s Day!

I’m excited to bring you this episode because it explains just how the Tree of Life grows their sprouts on premises.

I learned a bit from our tour guides Seth and Brady and I’m sure you will to…

Your question of the day: What is your sprouting technique?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

Here’s our upcoming schedule for the next few days…

March 17th, Tuesday, 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM, CST Austin Raw Food Meetup
Austin, TX 78749

March 18, Wedensday, 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM, CST Dr. Rita Marie Potluck Austin, TX

March 19th, Thursday, CST Central Market Meet the Kale Whale
www.centralmarket.com
Central Market, 4821 Broadway St, San Antonio, TX 78209

March 20, Friday, CST San Antonio Renegade Health Gathering
IASA Community Center 9114 SUMMER WIND ST, San Antonio, TX 78217

1. Lois Kubota says:

OMG!! What a great show. I had no idea how to fix the molding problem. I will watch this one again to make sure I have it down. Thanks Kevin an Annmarie.

2. Josette says:

I usually grow them in a tilted jar with a muslin top and in the dark.
    Great tip about the solution of water and hydrogen peroxide to sterilize the equipment and the seeds. I definitely will use it.
    Thank you for the all the info. Your show will inspire me to grow a larger variety of sprouts in the future.
    Hope you are enjoyed our Arizona sun!

3. natalya H says:

Thank you for encouraging video about sprouting.
    I grow some sprouts from time to time in different containers, but end up forgetting to juice them or eat them and go buying ready to eat sprouts at the store. I’ll try to keep growing mine own anyway to get into a habit of doing it, because it’s very rewarding thing to do at the end anyway.

4. CINDY says:

http://forums.prevention.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5011004491/m/4411050395 have you tried alissa cohen calzone or pizza receipe?

5. louise says:

I was wondering are you going to be in or near Houston? I hope so I live 50 miles north of Houston, If so where will you be? I love you guys Louise

6. Russell says:

March 18, Wedensday, 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM, CST Dr. Rita Marie Potluck Austin, TX Where is this going to be? I live in Austin and was wondering where you will hold this event. Please let me know. Thanks. Russell

7. Carmela says:

That was one of my favorite shows. I rarely write a comment. I would like to see the green house and how the sprouts get used into the food dishes. Kevin I have a question for you that maybe you could ask someone along your way is what herb, lotion, food, could be used to ease poison ivy. I ate a mango and peeled the skin off with my hands and teeth. It’s been 7 days now and my hands and face are swollen and has the same symptoms as poison ivy. When I had poison ivy it took 6 weeks for it to go away.

8. Denise says:

I soak my seeds for the first day, then rinse twice a day until they sprout. At that point I try to use them up because I don’t want to refrigerate them for fear of killing the living enzymes. Is this a valid concern? Do you rinse your sprouts in fresh water after rinsing in hydrogen peroxide?

9. dromenon says:

most xlent, thanks. i was flabbergasted recently to learn that no one in new orleans carries seeds for sprouting. the folks at whole foods (there are two of them in this area) didn’t even know what i was talking about. what the heck?? does anyone know of a good and inexpensive source online??

i sprout, when i can find seeds, in a round plastic tray that has a matching lid. it can be divided in half or in fourths for sprouting of multiple varieties at once. i’m going to experimento with a cheesecloth bag soon.

kev, i loved that this was on sprouts and that it was at tree of life. great job, thanks. i’ll be re-watching as well. and, i’m so happy to learn your eyes are ok!

seedless in new orleans,
    dromenon

10. Hi Kevin and Annmarie!
    Great sprouting show…we sprout using colanders to make our raw hummus and soups.
    We teach Raw prep and find that folks tend to pile beans too thick and beans start to rot
    (p u !). Safe practice is max two beans high for adequate air circulation.

Presently in sunny Florida doing Raw classes,
    Demos and Dinners…great response! Soon returning to home in central New York (Utica).
    Hope we can connect sometime…

Joe and Fran

11. Suzanne says:

I love sprouts and that was an awesome show! Thanks Kevin and the Tree of Life crew!

In addition to the sunflower sprouts and wheatgrass I like to make counter sprouts. I will sprout mung bean, pea, lentils, and fenugreek on the counter in tupperware. Basically soak organic seeds overnight and then rinse twice daily until you see tails coming out. Generally it takes 3 to 4 days and you’ve got great sprouts fresh from your kitchen!

12. Ann Marie Roth says:

My husband and I have been soaking and sprouting the ToL way since I was there last May. I can testify…it’s an awesome system. Our yields are huge, mold is nonexistent, and I swear the sprouts and microgreens have so much more flavor and robustness! We use the system for soaking almonds, walnuts, etc… as well…wow!

13. nancy sirianni says:

drat. tried to watch this but it said that the video was no longer available. Really interested in learning how to sprout!
    Wish I could make it to Austin to meet you guys…..I live near Dallas….are you coming by this way?

14. jodie says:

Oh Thank you! I was glued to that.
    I like their shelving idea.
    Where can we buy those trays?
    Please show us more from the TOL center. I want to see the green house, and if you have anything from a meditation/yoga room that would be fun and educational too.
    Jodie

15. Jenni says:

I just soak them overnight, drain them in the morning, prop them up in the dish drainer to drain. Rinse every night and morning until their tails are grown, then I green them. I’ve been using a really nice Spicy Sprout mix that I ordered from SproutPeople.com. I love sprouts!

16. brian says:

Your show was great.
    I’m wondering why spelt or Kamut were not used to grow the grass. I heard that grasses from those two grains are more nutritious, tasty, and cold tolerant compared to wheatgrass probably because wheat had been bred for high yield. That doesn’t mean wheatgrass is bad.

For growing wheatgrass, I use this method with some modifications: http://www.ocean-grown.com/OceanGrownGrass.pdf
    It is easier and less messy when you use paper towels as the nutrient carrying medium instead of soil. The amount of watering on the trays depend on the room temperature. I use diluted sea water from a beach in Vancouver. I don’t know how polluted the water is.

17. Patrick says:

Superb show, and will benefit many…For those interested in a Great time saving tool to help with sprouting automatically….
    I Love using the “EASY Green Sprouter”
    I own 2 now..excellent for tiny small seeds ..there stackable,so there a real space saver too..
    I still grow my wheatgrass,sunnys, and peagreens in trays to juice and eat for salads.
    Lovin ur road trip adventures,Keep up the
    Great work!!
    Oregon

18. Aurelie says:

Paper towels are full of chemicals, including formaldehyde. How can you possibly use them?!!

19. Yvonne says:

Best thing I’ve used by far is Easysprout. Not very big, but it sprouts in record time. Also there is minimal rinsing needed (if at all). If you get a few, you could have a continuous fresh supply of sprouts all the time. I’m planning to use it this summer when I go camping. Hydrogen peroxide is a must. Just make sure it’s food grade!

20. Kendra says:

Love the video!! I don’t have a special technique other than I love growing my sunflower greens and wheat grass in the window and the kids love watching them grow, watering them and eating them! Do you guys ever make your way to Georgia? We have a lot of farms around and a really cool bamboo farms and gardens. Just an idea. Plus I could give you a tour of our military base:) I like things like that! Maybe b/c my hubby is in the military:) For Nancy who couldn’t watch the video I couldn’t either so I called my computer support tech. and he suggested a new version of flash player. It worked, YAAA!

21. Dorothy says:

Hi you guys,
    Great show as usual! Thanks so much!
    I actually grow my wheatgrass hydroponically,
    (without soil)but soak the seeds with grapefruit
    seed extract and do the rinse with dulse drops in the water. I live here in Bozeman, Montana,
    where it tends to be quite cold, so usually don’t have problems with mold ’til one month
    in the summer.
    I grow alfalfa, clover, mung beans etc…all
    these seeds in jars, and right now am sprouting raw peanuts in the bag.
    I also grow greens indoor all year with a 5-foot tall layered garden with a pump to re-
    circulate the water. Cool, huh!
    So that’s how I sprout here in Montana!
    Dorothy

22. sharon says:

Kevin and Annmarie, I just spoke with the manager at central market, SA, and they know nothing of you coming there. What time will you be at the store? I spoke with 4 people and no one could tell me anything. ummmmmm????

23. Amanda Thompson says:

I sprout my “babies” in Large mouth Mason canning jars in my windowsill’s.
    I discovered an amazing yummy way to use the lentil/garbonzo sprouts…not regularly, but when I want a treat (too hard to digest in any quantities), anyway… I just sprout a cup or so of each. I make one batch of chick pea hummus, and one of lentil. Just pop in the blender, add a wee bit of cold pressed organic olive oil, pure water,a touch of sea salt, and go from there to taste. You can add whatever seasoning you are in the spirit for…I add Nama Shomu, or however you spell it, sometimes a touch of red pepper, or fresh tomatoes or fresh red peppers, if in the mood for something jazzy. I usually like to eat things real mild, so the flavor of the ingredients speak out more clearly. I love the taste of onion or garlic, but rarely use it ’cause it stays on my breath in an icky way for a coupla days, and I soooooo love to be kissable for my beloved mate, hubby, lover William (and I like my own mouth to feel clean and tastey for my self! So there you have it. Enjoy! And, in closing, I must thank you both for all the people, recipes, insights you have shared. I am 100% raw foodie too, and it’s lonely at the top. Nice to recently discover your friends’ Matt/Angela. Now i watch them daily too. What a beautiful world it is with you guys to share it with. Keep on Rawking Out Dude (& Dudette). Love is All…Peace Everything Else!!! Love, Amanda & William Thompson, In Love and Bliss~St. Pete, Florida, Whoo Hoo!

24. Rosana says:

Hi!!!! My technique is based in soak them in water for a couple of hours; sieve them; put them in a jar, sieve on top; wash and sieve twice a day, for 3 days; refrigerate after that.
    I spent my morning today enjoying the reading about sprout and building new projet in my mind…
    I like the Dorothy’s and Oceangrown’s sugestions too!!!
    thanks a lot.
    How do you do your sprout?

25. Heather Hemphill says:

Hello

I was wondering what the concentration of the hydrogen peroxide was that they spray on their trays.

I use the Fresh Life Automatic sprouter. http://www.freshlifesprouter.com/main.asp

Which I purchased a couple of months ago. It really makes life easy and now I can easily do enough sprouts to add to my green smoothies and my salads every day.

🙂 Heather

26. Chris says:

I have had good success using the Sprout Master stackable tray sprouters http://www.sprouthouse.com/Tray_Sprouters_s/2.htm
    When the sprouting seed directions call for initially growing the sprouts in a cool, dark and dry location, I use the inside of my oven! It works quite nicely, and it gives me something I can use my oven for!

Chris

27. Ron Williams says:

Kevin:

What about these bills in congress? The House sponsor is the wife of a Monsanto exec.

H.R. 875 Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009 http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-875

Feb 4, 2009: Referred to House Agriculture

To establish the Food Safety Administration within the Department of Health and Human Services to protect the public health by preventing food-borne illness, ensuring the safety of food, improving research on contaminants leading to food-borne illness, and improving security of food from intentional contamination, and for other purposes.

S. 425 Food Safety and Tracking Improvement Act

Feb 12, 2009: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry.

A bill to amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to provide for the establishment of a traceability system for food, to amend the Federal Meat Inspection Act, the Poultry Products Inspections Act, the Egg Products Inspection Act, and the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to provide for improved public health and food safety through enhanced enforcement, and for other purposes.

28. Peggy says:

Exceptional tour! Mold remediation at last. I too use the paper towel method successfully under fluorescent lighting.

29. Laura says:

He was talking about FOOD GRADE HYDROGEN PEROXIDE, right? (I’m sure he was)

It’s my understanding you don’t want to be using the stuff you get at the drug store. 🙂

30. Sprouting is so easy and cheap and nutritious . I use a simple mason jar with holes poked in the lid. I buy my organic sprouting seeds at the health food store. Right now I am sprouting some broccoli, wheat grass and radish seeds ( separately of course, ) I take my seeds, about 20 at a time, put them in my mason jar and fill with filtered water and add a couple of drops of grapefruit seed extract. Let soak overnight. In the morning, I empty the water and rinse. Then every morning rinse with pure water. In a week presto, fresh sprouts . Great for adding to my smoothies. Best of health, Ann Marie Huntington

31. Rev Bob says:

How do I get info on the products and amounts that they use to grow their sprouts

32. barry david says:

I have tried every way to sprout over the last 20plus years.The absolute best results without any mold problems is a system that has been out for over 10 years.Everything I have tried to sprout works perfectly with the easygreen sprouting system.The best way to see the system is going to http://www.easygreen.com,and watch the video.These systems can be stacked and also used for commercial purposes.Please tell Sol,the owner (and friend) I sent you to the site.He also has the best sprouting seeds available(all organic).The Easygreen has worked for my family flawlessly for over 10 years.In addition to the best sprouting system,he has a cloning system that will save weeks of time and effort.I do not work for the company.This is simply the very best systems I have found.If you would like to call me,I am in Mt.Shasta,Ca.530-918-9555

33. Robert says:

Let us join together to have our health. sprout our health using Chemistry Analyzer as a way of achieving good health.

34. Sonia says:

I received news today that living tree community foods is now going to sell pasteurized almonds instead of raw due the California law. Apparently the farmers lost the battle in court to overturn it.

I am disappointed in this because they are giving in to it. They claim to want to support American growers instead of the European growers where they were getting their raw almonds from before.

If we put our money into these UNraw almonds then the government is not going to get the message that we want our right to choose true raw almonds and other raw foods. This is a bigger deal than Living Tree Foods is making of it. Because what is going to be next? Then before you know it GMO will be mandatory as well. So, are we then going to buy the gmo foods because they are “American?” Our bodies don’t care where food comes from, only that it is true and pure. Are we going to put our health on the line for prdie and money? Our only way to fight is to not support it at all and not buy those almonds.

What do you both think about this, Kevin? Where do you get your almonds and almond butter from? Do you support Living Tree Foods in their decision?

Does anyone know where to get some truly raw almonds?

35. Virginia Brown says:

Does the soaking solution make the taste of wheatgrass juice better, the quality of the juice better, or is it just for mold.

I don’t have trouble with mold but, the sweet, grassy green taste makes sipping the juice impossible for me to do. I have tried all kinds of things but, the wheatgrass is so strong it overpowers anything I add to it.
    Virginia

36. Lori says:

Great show! Thank you so much for all that you guys do and the info. you bring! Awesome!!! I was wondering if there is a way to get the recipe that they use for Challah. I also observe the Sabbath and would love to have living challah for dinner!

Shalom,
    Lori

37. Gina says:

Hi Kevin and Annmarie! I was just wondering what time your two events in San Antonio are – the dates are listed but not the times! I hope I can meet you guys either tomorrow or Friday!

38. Sean wagner says:

Correct me if im wrong, but Putting H202 on the seeds, Is that safe ? I dont like the sounds of that going into my body.

39. jodie says:

Virginia,
    I skull down my wheat grass, about an 1/8-1/4 glass and then eat an orange or lemon after it. Sometimes I put some orange or lemon in the wheat grass juicer after the grass to take the edge off the grassy taste.
    Jodie

40. Gayle says:

I hope you are going to show more about the sprouts. I want him to continue and tell us more. Loved the show. Thanks so much!

41. Carole says:

Virginia, I have the same reaction to wheatgrass. I have tried it several times and just can’t handle it. I will gulp it down in “shot” form and it unhappily follows me for hours in the form of indigestion, don’t know how else to describe it. I finally have concluded that wheatgrass simply is not for me, that it may be my one food allergy or sensitivity.

42. Joann says:

Ann Wigmore fan. Never can down wheatgrass but I grow All kinds of Sprouts. Wish they gave more info on the micro sprouts Have arugula seeds and would love to have them come out as well as the video. I enjoy these free informational videos (from you and Purejeevan) It is so helpful in these economic times. (Though I have made my share of financial support for Raw companies and sites.) Thanks again

43. Sweet Cicely says:

Thank You ~~Great Show!!! Could you let me know How much sea water / minerals to how much water for the soak? And How much food grade peroxide to water (for the spray)?

44. Benene says:

To the person with poison ivy, go to the health food store or herb shop and get homeopathic poison ivy ,30 cc strength and take it. Its called Rhus Tox. It really works immediately. I used to get it really bad with fever and swollen eyes,and it works for me, starts to take the itch away within 30 mins.

45. Colleen says:

Great show. Are we going to get to see their garden?

Love you guys,
    Colleen

46. andy says:

Kev do you know how myc hydrogen peroxide they use.WHat dilution ratio.
    I do my sprouts when it is warm(spring, summer), gots sprouter, usually srpout radish, brocolli, alfalfa.

47. sach says:

hi there,
    what happens if you accidentally poor a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution directly onto your almonds? after about 2 minutes, i noticed the sizzling and foaming, and quickly diluted and rinsed the solution off. are they still safe to eat? have they killed off the living enzymes?

48. Ken says:

The gentleman from the ‘Tree of Life’ stated that they use a three-step process for sprouting. Step 1 – a 20-minute soak in a 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide. Then he mentions a teaspoon (tsp) of hydrogen peroxide in the soak water. Is the tsp of hydrogen peroxide the 30% solution placed in the soak water to approximate a 3% solution or is the tsp the 3% solution put in the soak water? Step 2 – effective micro-organisms is mentioned but not elaborated on. What are the effective micro-organisms and how are they applied and where are they obtained? Step 3 – ocean minerals the brand used there is ‘Ocean Grown’ where is this product available?

Ken

49. Hi,
    Loved this episode and I can see by the response everyone else loved it too!
    Question: Where do you get the ocean minerals? To keep my greens really fresh
    I put them in separate 12 ounce mason jars
    halfway filled with water and then cover them
    with a green bag. Now, the minerals I will put in the water and hopefully they will become of the greens I am storing. Any thoughts on this. Greens really stay fresh
    this way. I’ve never thrown them out since I’ve been doing this. If possible, email me.
    I can see you and Anne Marie doing this for a long, long, long, long time! lorrainelott@yahoo.com

50. darlene says:

I am confused. On my seed pkg. it says to soak the seeds for 4 hours. Do I soak the seed in the hydrogen peroxide for the 4 hours or do I soak the seed for 20 minutes in hydrogen peroxide water then drain and soak in just water for the remaining time?

51. jason says:

This should clarify the question of how much hydrogen peroxide to use. According to an article on Green Earth Alaska, the Tree of Life uses 1-2 tsp of 2% H2O2 (3% according to the video) in 2 qts water for 20 minutes. Then 6-8 hour water soak.

Here’s the link: http://www.greenearthalaska.com/municipal-state-dot-applications/47-seed-treatment.html

52. amy king says:

where do you get the EM for step #2 and the minerals for step #3-what are they called-PLEASE HELP