What are Ketones – The Renegade Health Show Episode #253

Thursday Feb 26 | BY |

What are ketones?

Take a watch today to find out!

NOTE: This description of ketones is not 100% accurate. I was taught this definition over 5 years ago and our readers have corrected me in the blog posts. Ketones can be produced when you burn protein as energy, but they are more likely to be produced when you burn fat for energy. Thank you guys!

Today we also talk about if Annmarie and I ever fight, a typical day of raw food eating, and what are some good foods to get calcium from?

Take a watch…

Your question of the day: What do you do to avoid arguments?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

BTW: We had a great time in Kansas City, thanks guys!!!

Next up:

Feb 28, Saturday. 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM, MST MT Waves Healing Arts Event http://www.mwhealingarts.com/Workshops/RenegadeHealthShow.htm
Mountain Waves Healing Arts, Inc.
2323 East Greenlaw Lane, Suite 10, Flagstaff, AZ 86004 Info (at) MWHealingArts.com

March 4, Wedensday 9:00 AM- 5:00 PM, PST Juice Fast LA
Agape International Spiritual Center, 5700 Buckingham Pkwy, Culver City, CA 90230

March 10, Tuesday, 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm, MST Special Event, Raw Potluck and Juicing Demo South Mtn. Farm, 6106 S. 32nd Street, Phoenix, AZ 85042

March 17th, Tuesday, 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM, CST Austin Raw Food Meetup
Austin, TX 78749

March 18, Wedensday, 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM, CST Dr. Rita Marie Potluck Austin, TX

March 19th, Thursday, CST Central Market Meet the Kale Whale
www.centralmarket.com
Central Market, 4821 Broadway St, San Antonio, TX 78209

March 20, Friday, CST San Antonio Renegade Health Gathering
IASA Community Center 9114 SUMMER WIND ST, San Antonio, TX 78217

1. dg says:

Q: What do you do to avoid arguments?

A: Hide the body well.

2. Bette says:

Where theres no wood,the fire goes out.

3. Dawn B says:

Matt and I are 21yr newlyweds (with 2+ kids) and we avoid arguing by not letting things stew until it becomes an argument AND if we do feel on the verge of yelling, we will separate into our own space until we feel we can talk reasonably.
    We still bicker sometimes, but we haven’t yelled at each other in nearly 2 decades. Yelling just doesn’t accomplish much, and it is a bad choice we strive not to make.
    We also don’t keep secrets much, because, esp. after this much time together, it is just too easy to tell when the other one is not ‘fessing up to something.

4. esther says:

Hi!
    Can you please address issues of affordability and accessiblity around living and raw foods for the poor? I’m a raw foodist and I work with poor communities in adult education and family literacy programs (library and community college). I’ve been introducing the idea of incorporating more living and raw foods into the cooked food diet for these communities through my health literacy program, but cost and access always comes up. Are co-ops the only way to go to for affordable organic foods? Also, how can poor people in general get better access to all the other great info the raw world offers? Sometimes it feels so exclusive when wanting to participate in conferences, or workshops or certifications…and so on.

I love your show and watch it nearly everyday. When will you both be in the Bay Area San Francisco? Will you be here for the New Living Expo in April?
    Thanks!

5. sarah says:

communicate!!!!!!!!! which is sending AND receiving. for BOTH people.
    when on the receiving end, you dont have to like it, approve of it, believe it or agree with it. you just gotta listen, (kindly, politely -and if it’s real tough, hold hands with love during it.) and make sure both of you get heard. which might take appointments. it takes ALOT of time. it is WORTH IT.
    (no yelling, no name calling, no eyerolling, etc…)
    this will prevent the buildup of walls between you.
    we think, after 14 pretty successful years in our relationship, that over the long run, you gotta be able to laugh at yourself and each other, forgiveforgiveforgive, and communicate.
    longterm relationships are unconditional love training.

6. sarah says:

we actually repeat back to each other what we think we heard the other person say. this takes lot of time, as i said…and MAGIC HAPPENS.

7. Mary says:

1. Remember that everyone’s feelings are important, even if they are not the same as mine.
    2. Know that not everyone is an expert at communication and that a comment may not come out as it was intended.
    3. I am aware that if something irritates me, it probably has more to do with me than the irritant.

8. Bill says:

Comunication is the key to avoiding the arguments 🙂

9. Barbara says:

I am a newly vegetarin I have been without meat for 36 days and my body no longer aches with pain in my knees and fingers. I have started to expell mucas a lot and my body is going through other changes. But my question is: Do you eat bread? and If so what kind. I like a veggie sandwich every now and then.

10. Dewey Fish says:

Motor home buyers to get tax break in Obama stimulus plan

There’s good news for consumers in the market for a new motor home. The $789 billion economic stimulus package President Obama has signed includes a provision to specifically help the RV industry, especially buyers of motor homes.

The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA), reports that a new provision will allow buyers of motor homes to deduct a portion of the sales or excise tax paid on their purchase from their federal income tax next year. The deduction will apply to the first $49,500 of the purchase price. For more information on this plan, click here to read the entire article at RV Travel.com.

11. cole says:

Hey Kevin you should really advertise the health revolution petition. You could even set up a link on your website where people can go right to it if that is possible.

12. sharon in Sugar Land says:

I’m so excited that you are coming to texas, but will you make it to Houston?

13. Hey Kevin and Annemarie-
    I sent ya’ll an email to see if you wanted to come to Houston. I see you are going to Austin and San Antonio~ we are not much further! If you want me to set up a talk for you, let me know!
    832-515-1241
    Alicia Moncur

14. sunnie says:

I haven’t encoutered a problem that time apart couldn’t fix.

15. Jayne Eubanks says:

I usually don’t avoid fights so much as I try to resolve what is going on with myself. My significant does the same. I think it’s useful to analyze and see how much of it really has anything to do with either of us and and how much has to do with the situation. It’s useful to ask questions like . Am I tired or hungry? Did I check out all my facts. How much of my part in this fight might be due to misunderstanding or incorrect assumptions. And remember what Phyllis Diller once said. Never go to bed angry. Stay up and fight! Fighting can be healthy because it can pave the way to problem solving!

16. cindy devola says:

Kevin, you are wrong. Ketosis is the break down of fat … not protein. at least do a wiki search before you blast this stuff out all over the net.

you have a responsibility to your listener.

also. you admit that the body needs carbohydrates “we want to be burning sugar” so how do you suppose to do that advocating a diet low in fruit (to prevent Candida)?

you really need to do some homework dude!

17. Cheryl Holt says:

What do you do to try to avoid arguments?

I try to listen and seek to understand where the other person is coming from first.

I may need to clarify a few things but find that when I ask questions it helps me to understand the others perceptions of the situation first and then that helps me to problem solve to move forward on what ever needs to be accomplished.

I also try to communicate what my frustrations are, how I am feeling, and what my needs are.

I think most of the time those things help me to get the topic at hand out in the open so it can be fully explored. Sometimes the perceptions of the individuals involved are not accurate so clarifying things helps those involved to move forward very easily.

The better you can communicate with a reasonable individual the more likely you are to avoid an argument. There is no reasoning with an unreasonable individual thus there is no need to argue with them.

Love, Light, and Peace,
    Cheryl

18. Dr Rona says:

hey wow i was so surprised to hear my name! lol

i was really only asking cause i thought u’d want to fix the omission 🙂
    but–thanks for the nice reply AND the headsup on the oxidation rxn.

i’ve got a neat creation with some cashews and dates and spice in the dehydrator now…i’m thinking it’ll need some tweeking but at some point will evolve into a yummy delight.

i’m thinkin u’r in and out of LA FAST.
    i’m about 60 miles north…
    if u want to visit a nice kickback beach town…let me know…u have my email 🙂

now…for the not fighting part
    i think u guys have it right.
    my dog almost never fights with me
    and i almost never fight with her

like you two…we have an occasional disagreement or get frustrated but LOVE, KINDNESS, UNDERSTANDING and listening without getting defensive dissolves ANY conflict(s)

just remember THAT
    (as if i’m the relationship expert…lol) but some things (like LOVE) DO PREVAIL
    if we ALLOW.

xo
    🙂
    dr rona

19. suz says:

Yes Cindy, I also thought that ketones come about from fat burning……but about the burning of sugars….all carbs eventually break down into sugar, so when you eat veggies, legumes etc you will be burning sugar…you don’t need to eat fruit to burn sugar.

20. Sharon says:

I find that we don’t really fight either but we do get frustrated and disagree. We are careful never to be mean or insulting when feeling angry. Also, I attempt to evaluate if what I’m feeling is reasonable or just because I’ve had a tough day and am irritable or something. If it is just me having a way out there response I try to keep it to myself or tell my hubby I’m feeling mad but it is just me – don’t worry about it. Otherwise we always talk it out to resolve and never part ways or go to bed upset. Being quick to apologize and ask forgiveness is key too.

21. Cathy says:

Hi Kevin how long have you been on raw? Were you a vegetarian before that or did you just jump into this food change? Ann Marie this question is for you as well. Peace!

22. Noga Fisher says:

What I do when we fight is remember how much I loved my husband – and how wowed we both were — when we had our first daughter…now she’s a newlywed and pregnant with her first daughter…

23. DonnaB says:

Hi Guys,
    You said you were going to be in Desert Hot Springs after Flagstaff? I did not see it on your schedule and would like to know what day and where because I live in Palm Desert which is very close. I really enjoy your presentations, interviews and knowledge you so eagerly impart to all of us. Thank you.

24. cindy devola says:

Hi Suz,

Actually there is some interesting evidence that suggests that fruit should be our main source of carbohydrates. vegies have very little carbs (unless you eat a truck load a day), fats clogg the body so we should probably limit it to about 10% fat a day.( even mr fat himself, dr udo erasmus, recommends no more than 15% of the calories coming from fat in the course of a year)

when fats and sugars are consumed at the same time the fats don’t slow the absorption of the sugar and that can cause problems like Candida. (so the fat is the culprit not the sugar) (read: the 80 10 10 diet)

and there is growing evidance agains grains.
    “Grains are often an unidentified risk. Most grains break down to sugar very rapidly and can cause the same problems with insulin dysregulation”. Dr. Joseph Mercola

From Mike White: The Chinese characters for “fasting” literally translate into “avoiding grains”.

“Grains are a recent addition to our diet, one that has not served us well. They seem to have an addictive quality. After working with people for many years I have found they thrive better on a grain free diet. It was only by eliminating grains completely from my diet that ‘i was able to resolve my chronic allergy problems.” Jeff Novick, M.S., R.D., L.D. /Director Nutrition, Pritikin Longevity Center.

“My speed, endurance, strength, recovery, coordination, and flexibility have all improved tremendously since going on the starchless diet. My overall fitness has never been better. I have been on Dr. Graham’s program for two years, am playing my best basketball, and I am not looking back” Ronnie Grandison, age 34, New York Knicks

“Having had extensive experience working with hundreds of food addicts, I know this to be the first and only publication that exposes the real physiological cause of eating disorders. It belongs on the shelf of every health care professional.” Prof. Rozalind Grubin, AHSI, RSA
    (read: grain damage, against the grain.)

25. Jo Mama says:

I practice Non-Violent Communication. It guides me away from our cultural conditioning of labeling, judging, or harming others. When I practice NVC it creates authentic communication so people can be heard in a safe, loving environment and needs are met cooperatively.

I highly recommend any interested in learning more visit http://baynvc.org/.

26. marijana pontoni says:

The best way to stop fighting is to give each other a hug.

You can’t fight with someone you are hugging! 😉

(try if you do not believe me)

27. John says:

You just have to bite your tongue sometimes, especially with subjects that are known to cause disagreements, or just don’t even go near those subjects if possible.

28. Renay says:

got to agree with cindy devola…sorry Kevin but ketones are a bi product of the body burning fat..you are referring to dietary ketosis and not Ketoacidosis which is a life-threatening condition commonly associated with diabetes. I work with over 500 doctors who use dietary ketosis to effectively reduce over all body mass while protecting muscle mass, if you got fat to lose, it is the way to go. BTW, the brain works 25% better on ketosis. Early man lived in and out of dietary ketosis, ate when food was in abundance to store body fat and burned it off when food was not in abundance. People who normally eat high-carbohydrate meals have been fueling their bodies from the glucose and fructose obtained from the carbohydrates. Their cells have had very little experience burning fatty acids for energy. The body uses the glucose first to prevent high levels of glucose in the blood.

29. Paula says:

This is not about fighting. Just a thank you to the two of you for being so transparent and willing to share your lives, experiences, and knowledge with us. I am really enjoying this trip. Now about fighting – just watch out for being in such tight quarters together for long periods of time. The frustrations may come closer together so the advice from others about putting space between you, even for a few minutes, is the best.

30. Cary Ellis says:

oops! forgot the Dill Weed

31. andy says:

Kev,

You are definitely wrong, ketones is produced when you are burning fats for energy, and it also gives acetone smell, hence diabetic, and atkins diet folowers got smell.

32. Janett Hoke says:

Many times we find that in times of strong barometric pressure shifts emotions can get out of control easier, so we keep an eye on that and take measures to relax at those times. Sometimes with full moons too.

33. Katherine says:

Hey Kevin,

Did you cut out mushrooms from your diet, while on the candida cleanse? If so, have you re-introduced them? and did your body have any sort of reaction?
    if you have not re-introduced them, when do you think you will? what sort of time frame would you suggest, for someone who is trying to rid their overgrowth?

34. When you said the question of the day has nothing to do with health, I disagree. Optimal Health is a combination of body, mind and spirit. Health is all about balance. And when someone is upset or arguing, in my opinion, your health will deteriorate. Stress is very harmful to your health.
    Keep up the good work you two. It looks like you guys are having the time of your life!
    Health & happiness, Ann Marie Huntington

35. ( FYI ) Foods high in calcium include almonds, chickpeas, collard greens, kale, parsley, sesame seeds, spinach and sunflower seeds.

36. Steve says:

Kevin –
    You mentioned that today’s question about fighting, was not really a “health” question.
    I disagree. Mental “health” is just as important as physical & spiritual health. If you haven’t already done a show on the mental aspects of health, this may be a good topic to cover.
    Thanks,
    Hope meet you and Annmarie when y’all get to Austin.
    – Steve,
    Austin, TX

37. Paul Tarrant (In UK) says:

Great, fun and very informative shows, Just one request – the cat lover in me wants MORE JOHNNY 5!!! :oD

38. Vicki says:

Avoid raising your voice–If one can’t control the volume of their voice then it’s doubtful that he/she will be able to control the direction of the discussion. And, then, always focus on the facts and not on the personality. This has worked for my 26 year marriage!

39. D. Barriga says:

A friend of mine has the ability to win a great deal of arguements. But a fight never happens. I know theres alot of factors to prevent a neg. sitiution during different belief. Basic: be Flexable.

40. Ginny says:

I have to agree, Kevin, ketones are produced by burning fat! that is the reason the whole high protein diet revolution came into vogue.

41. Nick says:

I avoid arguments by just knowing I’ve won before they’re started