Do I Need Enzymes on a Raw Food Diet – The Renegade Health Show Episode #243

Thursday Feb 12 | BY |

A lot of people ask us if we need enzymes on a raw food diet…

In this episode, I answer that question as well as if oxalates are in green juice, what you should spend on a Vitamix and more!

This show is live from the Kale Whale!!!

Your question of the day: What is your favorite Beatles tune? (Has nothing to do with health, but I couldn’t resist!

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

The best vegan enzymes that I’ve found are Fred Bisci’s Enzymes, you can find out more about them when you click here!

1. Steven King says:

thanks for the plug Kev. joyous,
    Steven King kingofguitar.com

2. Steven King says:

I ordered a Vitamix!

3. Janett Hoke says:

I believe it was Victoria Boutenko who said her researched showed that different greens have different oxalates in them and that they have a benefit on the immune system, but since they are toxic in larger quantities that you should vary your greens. I had an experience with juicing lacinato kale almost everyday for about a year and develop some thyroid issues. As soon as I stopped the problems went away. Now I just alternate greens and have no problems.

4. Josette says:

I am the Walrus

5. Eleanor Rigby == even though a little depressing, the Beatles were ingenius in choosing instrumentation and musicality for this well done tune. Love the cello solos.
    I was in 7th grade when the Beatles visited America for the first time and can remember that I was in Home Ec class when I found out about it. Too bad I wasn’t raw then. ; )
    I am really enjoying your clips here — maybe you can visit us here in the LAND of Israel and do a show! Chana Rachel

6. IMAGINE, comes to mind first, love the meaningful words

7. Dave says:

love is all you need

8. Diane says:

I live in 2 spots. In one I have a vitamix to make my green smoothies. In the other, I have a regular cheap blender to make my smoothies .. I have found the regular blender works just as well!!! No, I wouldn’t be able to probably blend flax seeds, but my vitamix can’t really do them very well either. But for regular smoothies … no prob!

9. dede says:

Well – -this IS the hardest question you have ever asked, Kevin :-). I’m torn between something from the White Album or from Abbey Road….but I’ll go with…. 🙂 …”I will”.. from the White Album :-). Annmarie – in case you haven’t heard it – you’ll love it!! Have Kevin play it for you….for Valentine’s Day :-). hugs, Dede

10. Adam says:

Hey, thanks for getting my question on the air about oxalates. I really liked the answer and I think it’s a good answer to a lot of health questions. Do what works for your individual body 🙂 Now how do I go about testing my mineral levels cheaply? Have you heard about M.A.P from Richard DiCenso at http://www.matrixtransformation.com and if so what do you think?

11. Dewey Fish says:

Bioperine is a pure form of piperine, derived from the fruits of black pepper. Studies indicate that bioperine promotes nutrient absorption. This is due to bioperine’s interaction with the surface of the intestinal tract. Bioperine is non-irritating to the gastrointestinal tract.

12. Carol says:

And I Love Her…

13. Dewey says:

I love them all… But I think “Mr. Moonlight” is my favorite Beatles Tune…

14. Janette says:

Favorite Beatle tune “Imagine”. Well, Actually it’s a John Lennon song but since he’s a Beatle I guess it qualifies.

15. Laura says:

“Got To Get You Into My Life.”

16. Michael T. says:

I Want You.

I want you so baaaaad yeah.

I want you.

I want you so baaaaad it’s drivin me mad it’s drivin me mad!

And yes, good answer regarding oxalates in greens. And some common sense, cows eat greens all day and do they get osteoporosis? I don’t think so! At the same time, certain greens such as beet greens and chard are especially high in oxalates, so avoid those if you are concerned about it. If eating the greens gives you a cotton mouth feeling, they are high in oxalates.

Thanks for doing the show, even on a
    Long and Winding Road …

Michael T.

17. Peg says:

Favorite Beatles song? How can I pick? So many–I was 12 years old when the Beatles showed up. Several years later, my daughter at age 12 “discovered” the Beatles. On the White Album there is a song called “Birthday” and after my daughter went to college we started playing that song for each other. When one of our birthdays came around we would call each other up early in the morning and play the Beatles Birthday song. I don’t know if it is really my favorite, but since I share it with my daughter, I will call it my favorite.

18. weavermomo says:

Led Zeppelin!

19. Peg says:

One more song–I really like “She’s So Heavy”

20. Vix says:

Can’t buy me love…
    (I don’t care too much for money, money can’t buy me love.)
    Gets me dancing every time! I just love the Beatles, though – all of their songs 😀 Cool question!

21. Dewey says:

Oh Did I forget to Mention… Piperine, the main alkaloid from black pepper that has been shown to substantially increase the bioavailability of the nutrients in foods and supplements by up to 2000% works bu contolling the movment of food through your bouls by regulating the movement of the muscles… Virtually Slowing it down so that more nutrients have time to be absorbed… Or so I’ve Read… I even put pepper in my cereal along with my sprouts…

22. Carol says:

Here comes the sun!

23. Joseph Diamond says:

Hey Kevin, I think you’d really like a cover of Eleanor Rigby by Stanley Jordan… guitar-work to make a man weep 😉 My favourite is ‘let it be’

24. John says:

I’m from UK and my blender is a l’equip rpm:
    it’s varispeed and 900w and costs $159.95.
    I’ve used it daily for over 6 months and have no complaints.

25. jen says:

my goodness….
    well there’s ‘sexy sady’ so good. there’s ‘baby you can drive my car’

oh of course ‘octopuses garden’

but i must say the best is ‘all you need is love’

so gooooood!

you guys are awesome!

26. MARY THOMAS says:

ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE!

27. Jennifer says:

I’m loving the beard, Kevin, grrr!

28. Ram Govindaraj says:

Is there any way to make our own fresh diegstive and systemic enzymes. Its very difficult to find a good one in the market for my taste and need. I agree with your oxalates theory.

29. Betty says:

Hi guys! Still watching…still love yea!

I’m currently trying to get into the Health and Wellness industry, primarily because I love helping people, and if it makes me money, even better!

My question is, when you guys started out, whether with Renegade or personal training or even deciding to eat healthier!…how did you deal with the rejection from family and friends especially, because I know that when I’mexcited about something and I feel good and I want to share it, there’s always a handful of people (usually those closest to you) who look at you funny right away.

Thanks!
    B from Canada 🙂

30. Karen Jackson says:

Way too many great Beatles’ songs to pick just one.

Here’s an idea for you since you’re on the road. On May 16th in Los Angeles there is “Worldfest,” an all vegan festival. Check it out on the internet. It would be so cool if you guys could be there.

31. Ronn says:

Just about every Beatles song is my favorite, but my favorite-EST is “In My Life”. So beautiful, and so full of meaning.

32. Jenna says:

I love norwegen wood, love the opening music to it.

33. Viveca says:

Here Comes The Sun

34. Paula says:

I Want To Hold Your Hand

35. Kat says:

Oooh, hard question today!! There are so many great Beatles songs, but I really love the silly ones. 😀 Uncle Albert is one of my favorites…

We’re so sorry, Uncle Albert,
    But we haven’t done a bloody thing all day!
    We’re so sorry, Uncle Albert,
    But the kettle’s on the boil,
    And we’re so easily called away!

May I ask Kevin, what the heck did you say about your mother at the end of today’s show?? It sounded like you said, “…the question about huffing your mother,” but that makes absolutely no sense! I backed it up about ten times but still couldn’t make out what you said. Must have been from a show I somehow missed.

36. Bill says:

I agree with you on the the Vitamix question Kevin, I had resisted my wife spending big dollars on a decent blender for years. But she ended up going through about four of the cheaper ones before we finally bought the Vitamix. And it does such a better job as well.

The Beatles are one of my favourite bands, I even made a squidoo lens about them! Check it out here: http://www.squidoo.com/fabfourbeatles

It is hard to pick just one song but In My Life would have to be one of them AnnMarie, it is such a beautiful song, as is Blackbird! Another favourite of mine is Across The Universe!

Great to see you in the Kale Whale 🙂

37. Angel says:

With love from me to you

38. Zsuzanna says:

Kevin:

Regarding systemic enzymes — i’ve tried and tested a couple brands over the last few years, but have recently felt discouraged due to the high excipient ingredient list found in these “well recommended” brands. I do not want to go off of systemic enzymes — as I feel they have helped me with my inflammatory condition…

So here is my question: What brand of systemic enzymes would you rec, with the least/or no amount of excipients?

Thanks in advance

(ps, you can call me suz for short — pronounced “sooooz” – in case you have troubles reading my hungarian name, hehe)

cheers 🙂

39. Charlotte Cormier says:

”When I’m 64”!That was until my last birthday, but 65 is great too! Congratulations on the program with Dr Diamond!!! I remembered I had his book never read!! ”The body doesn’t lie”. This discovery is a milestone for me! What a privilege to have met this man! Bon voyage!!!

Charlotte Cormier I comend your attitude and choice of vocabulary, essential to always remain PROFESSIONAL! I was lately disappointed by others not as respecful with their manner of speaking. Respect is unquestionable! Hasta luego!

40. Charlotte Cormier says:

Hi! Sadly, your show from the Kale Whale did not appear to be recorded! After you say ”Take a look”. there is a white blank!!! How disappointing! I watched the Fred Bisci one instead, again a great guest much appreciated, but I don’t want to miss any of your shows! How can I get today’s? Friday the 13th? Thank you so much! Merci beaucoup! Charlotte Cormier

41. Scott says:

Right now, it’s “Hey Jude” but Tomorrow Never Knows.

But when you talk about destruction
    Don’t you know that you can count me out

42. Kenny says:

“Get Back!”

43. Gina says:

I wonder if my comment will be posted if I don’t include my website in that box up there that says, “Website.” I hope so, because I am somewhat disappointed that my comments are not being posted. My website is for the co-op I’m starting, which will be a non-profit that provides fresh produce to disadvantaged families. I am hoping that The Renegade Health Show can make an appearance at our public outreach event in Seattle. I was told in an email that I would be informed when the show was headed in my direction, and I’m eager to hear about it. Here’s the website, in case anyone’s interested: http://sites.google.com/site/delridgeproducecooperative/

My favorite Beatles song is Within You Without You.

Here’s my question: When my passion to help people is fueled by my personal beliefs, what can I do to stay professional?

44. Robin says:

I’m not a huge Beatles fan, but I do LOVE the JONAS BROTHERS!!!

45. John says:

#9 #9 #9 #9 #9
    Actually I love Maxwell’s Silver Hammer, and so many more, I don’t have many true favorite anythings, depends more on my mood and other such things I guess.

46. Pat says:

Hey Jude

47. Cathy Frank says:

Something in the way she moves

Paul McCartney harmonizing with Linda on Bluebird
    still gives me chills

48. don says:

I WAS INTENSELY INTO GREEN SMOOTHIES WITH A LITTLE BIT OF FRUIT AND STEVIA FOR SWEETNESS.I DAILY BLENDERIZED WHOLE PARSLEY, CARROTS, CUCUMBERS, BEETS, CELERY,CILANTRO,ETC. AFTER 9 MONTHS I HAD SUCH EXCRUCIATING PAIN IN BOTH HIP JOINTS THAT IT WAS DIFFICULT TO WALK OR SIT. I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN STRONG INTO DETOXING EVERY DAY. THE PAIN CONTINUED FOR 3 MONTHS, SO I THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE OXALATED WHICH I WAS EATING A LOT OF. I STOPPED THE GREEN SMOOTHIES, CONTINUED MY DETOXING REGIMEN, AND IN 3 MONTHS THE PAIN WENT AWAY COMPLETELY. MY UNDERSTANDING IS THAT OXALATES CAN LODGE IN FLESH AND JOINT AND KIDNEYS. HOWEVER, I NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS EXCEPT IN THE HIP JOINTS. I WOULD APPRECIATE FEEDBACK THAT WOULD EXPLAIN MORE, PLUS ANY NEGATIVE SIDE EFFECTS ANYONE MAY BE HAVING. THANKS. DON

49. Daureen says:

I too would like to know more about oxalate levels in foods and the possible health ramifications of excessive amounts (and how to remove them). ???