A Puppy from Mexico on New Year’s Day – The Renegade Health Show Episode #217

Thursday Jan 1 | BY |

Back in the States (again!)…

We’re in the car going to Fountain Valley, CA to stay with Matt and we have two special friends with us. 🙂

Last night was sooo much fun. We had over 160 people (at the high point) on our special Live New Year’s Show! Thanks everyone for tuning in! You can watch the replay on UStream (NOTE: Make sure your speakers are turned down… we got a little rowdy! LOL!)

Back to the doggies, I’ll let you take a look and see how amazing they are…

Your question of the day: What would you suggest to bring the vitality back to these amazing dogs?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave a comment now!

Happy New Year Everyone!
Kevin

1. patty says:

it`s not raw but theres a high calorie paste you can give to dogs that might help the mama. also i have a recipe for these meatball type things that are high calorie…if you want it let me know and i can email it to you.
    patty

2. Bryan says:

Magnets in their beds!!! It just hit me while watching! I don’t know very much about it, actually nothing but using some of Peter Ragnars magnets has seemed pretty powerful. Anyway it just hit me as you asked the question.

3. If it were my dog, it would be eating only raw meat, ground buffalo is great alternated with raw chicken, raw egg, some blueberries, tiny pinch of Inliven (or use probiotic of your choice). Of course the meat should be organic and free range.

If the dogs have been vaccinated, NCD zeolite will remove the mercury preservative that can lead to gut and skin problems. Raw bones to chew on are great for additional minerals. My dog will only chew bones in one area of the house since I don’t want bacteria from raw meat all over. They learn quick!

My puppy was taken away from the mother very early due to her getting sick and that’s basically what she ate. She’s wonderfully healthy and will be 3 years old soon.

4. Bernadette says:

Hey Kevin,

I’m with you on the 2008/2009 thing. It takes me a while to get used to the change too.

Thanks for the live New Year’s Eve telecast last night. I was home sick with a cold and was going to go to bed early.. but I got so wrapped up in the telecast and entering the contests, the time went by quickly and before you know it, it was midnight. You must have been having a great time too.. since you missed the midnight hour altogether. 🙂 That was awesome.. I enjoyed being with the crowd that was on last night.

The puppies are really cute.. I hope they continue to do well. I’m not a Vet but one thing I have learned about feeding raw meat to animals is to be careful about introducing it when the animal is sick. Their immune system may not be strong enough to fight the bacteria or other infectious agents in meat that they could otherwise fight easily if they were in good health. Another thing is not to let them go without eating for too long. If an animal has stopped eating for 24 hours or more, their blood sugar can continue to go down and they will become very lethargic due to hypoglycemia. Although it is not recommended to feed honey to cats or dogs, I have heard from vets and read on the internet to rub a little honey or maple syrup on the inside of their mouth so their blood sugar won’t get too low. This is supposed to help them get their appetite back.. but don’t use too much. You can find more information on that if you type dogs and honey into google. They will tell you how much honey per the animal’s weight. I wish Matt luck with whatever he does. I would love to see the puppies thrive. I love animals.

5. Anthony says:

I would also recommend some raw bones because dog’s need for calcium is much much greater than that of a humans. I don’t really recomend a raw vegetarian diet as I believe that biochemically speaking, dog’s require raw meat in their diet. They also flourish on greens, nuts, seeds, kelp and a good amount of vitamin C. Their food requirments are actually somewhat similar to that of humans. Dogs also do well on avacoados, especially the dog with the skin problem. Make sure they get a good omega 3 supplement such as cod liver oil or green mussel lipids which you can purchase at Moxxor.com. Raw goats milk would beneficial, and egg yolks that Matt mentioned would be useful because raw egg yolks are a rich source of soy lecithin that dog’s have a high requirment for. I would implement some brewer’s yeast and definitely some raw apple cider vinegar. You would be really surprised at how useful ACV can be to help a variety of condtions with dogs. I used some of the things that I mentioned above, combined with homeopathics and the ACV, when my dog had huge soars on his back and was biting the crap out of his tail. He is now completely healed and thriving. Most importantly, you need to cut out all commercial dog food. Dogs do not digest grains, corn or other fillers well, even if it is a high quality food. Raw is the way to go, just as it is for humans, with the exception of meat. Exclude chocolate, xylitol or grapes- these are very poisoness to dogs. Hope some of this may have been helpful, good luck taking care of the little ones!

6. Tara says:

Dogs do well with coconut oil, especially if they have parasites and skin issues. All parsley tea in their drinking water.

7. i would find a raw vet first or a holistic vet to make sure there is nothing else wrong with them. first and foremost.then keep feeding raw according to the raw vets advice. there are a number of raw pet forums on the net that have amazing advice, i feed my dog homemade cooked food now, i am still researching raw meat and how to make sure it is safe etc…sweet puppies

8. Alicia says:

How very wonderful of you all to take care of thoes sweet little animals who otherwise wouldn’t have had a chance. Dogs are omnivores and do well with veggies and sweet potatoes. Ani Phyo has some raw food doggie recipies in her book! I made the dehydrate yam chips for my doggies before. She rescued a dog and brought it back to health on raw foods!

9. Christy says:

There is a lot of good advice at this website. I’ve saved many puppies using their formula recipe. Good Luck

10. gloria says:

Besides the raw food, lots of love, thats all they need.

Gloria

11. Donna Oakes says:

I foster kittens 3 weeks and it is amazing how fast they can get dehydrated. I use sringes or eye droppers for water. Is mom having enough good milk for the baby? any fleas? always deworm them.

happy new year with your new friends,

Donna

12. karina says:

IF the puppy have teeth , dont need more milk, she/he can start eat. If u want a little of raw milk(just a little ,1/2 cup a day). Get some good organic dried food , as a base of the diet , and then add thinks , like raw meat(beef,veal) , bone are awesome for the teeth, i dont know about white meat raw!
    For the mom you can mix some spirulina , dulse ,beets,brocoli,carrots ,vrown rice,raw eggs,a little coconut oil,nutritional yeast, and many more, maybe some probiotic for the mom if she is little sick. AND then give dicipline ,they love rutine, walk w them, as close as nature then can be the better will be and the happy .Once a month o more a castille soup bath. Keep IT SIMPLE ,they are animals ,thanks for loving them.
    VERY TOXIC AND BAD FOR THEM, CHOCOLATE,AVOCADO,RAISINS,NEVER give it to them.

13. Kirsten says:

A raw food diet!!! The one they would be eating if they were out in the wild on their own. In the cty where I live you can buy it in prepared patties with all the good stuff mixed in the proper proportions. Meat, veggi’s, fruits, oils, etc….just the way nature intended. The paties come frozen……what could be easier?!?

14. sherry says:

hi kevin ,
    All my four dogs are all raw , they are eating organic free range turkey and veggie mix , and chicken and veggie mix , they need lots of water as you know animals will fast if they are sick , but i do not know the situation with these pups ..There is an abundant amount of info . on the websites also…Hope they will be ok.
    Dog lover Sherry

15. crow says:

Kate when I got her had distemper I got this
    stuff at PetSmart that come in a tube like toothpaste. It had cod liver oil and lots of vitamins in it. She is a healthy little girl now and every morning I continue to give her a tablet of Fish oil like I take.

I also order my supplies for her from:

They have great products.

16. Hi Kevin and Annemarie- I’ve posted here before I think – I’m a health researcher; you can google my whole “professional” name (as entered above) to see the first of my research awards (for breastfeeding and clefts research).As a grad student at the Univ. of Calgary, Canada, med school, I recently worked on a study we nicknamed “Superbabies”-the moms took EMPower supplement in pregnancy- see http://www.truehope.com-it‘s a super-charged vitamin/ mineral mixture, originally developed to cure bipolar. The study moms felt better and HAD MORE MILK as well; and their babies were very contented as well as bright and verbal. We live in the country, and recently we gave this mixture to our pg “inside” cat – she had 7 healthy kittens; then she went to live outside, didn’t get the supplement, and had a pre-term birth of only 3 kittens,with only 2 surviving. My pg nieces now take this supplement; I only wish I’d had it “back in the day”… Also,the research group http://www.otispregnancy.org approves it! Pls, pls try it for this “mom and baby” (ie, the dogs)…Thx, Jacalyn (mom of nine, grandma of eight -writing from frozen Canada, 1 hr.north of Calgary – it’s -8F right now and very snowy. Hard to travel. BTW I’m Mormon and loved seeing the San Diego temple in your video today!I dont’ always watch them, was glad I did today…all the best…)

17. Brandi Cushing says:

My heart goes out to these sweet doggies…My sister works at a shelter and treats all of the animals when they are sick…she takes home a lot of the puppies because they are too young for the shelter..I know she sometimes has to feed puppies puppy formula that you can get at the pet store. This puppy may be old enough to start solid foods..she heats up water and soaks high quality dog food to make it easier for puppies to eat….also if the mom does not want to eat, get something very yummy smelling and it will help her want to eat. They love peanut butter too. Thanks for taking care of these very pucky doggies!

18. Shannsu says:

Hi AnnMarie, Kevin and Matt!

Here’s what Ani Phyo did with her dog, Kanga (also in bad shape when she got her).

Started out with a couple of months of canned vegetarian dog food. Nut milks and pâtés were gradually mixed into the dog food, progressively diminishing the dog food. She taught Kanga to eat what she ate, giving her the foods that she was eating, trying again and again.

Apparently, the shape of the food is rather important (more so for small mouths!). Something round that keeps moving away when the dog tries to bit into it is not good. So slice fruits/veggies flat.

Ani mentions that in two months the fur was back and Kanga was healthy again.

She mentions giving Kanga avocados (I read in an earlier post here that it was not good for them, so you might want to check it out first), seeweeds and nuts. Durian.

Here’s the recipe for Kanga’s Favorite Pâté:
    1 clove garlic
    1 tbsp sea salt
    1 cup sunflower seeds
    1 cup almonds, cashews, Brazil nuts, pecans
    or walnuts
    2 cups greens and veggies (kale, spinach,
    squash, carrots)
    1 tbsp fresh herbs (basil, oregano, cilantro
    dill)
    2 tbsp olive oil

Process garlic and salt. Add sunflowers, nuts and process into powder. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.

Scoop into dog’s bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Can add 1 tbsp spirulina at serving time or 2 tbsp dry wakame. Dogs love chorophyll!

She mentions also using the ends of veggies like carrots, celery, zucchini, stems of kale, collard greens and herbs that we throw out to make the dog’s pâté. Great way to recuperate and not loose any of the precious food dollars we spend!

Doggie Treats
    Dried sweet potato chips:
    slice 1/2 inch thick and dehydrate

Doggie Biscuit
    Her famous Black Sesame Sunflower Bread
    Cut into doggie-bone shapes and dehydrate.

On a personal note, my dog eats all the raw vegan food I eat. I had left over lasagna this summer and she gladly ate whatever I gave her. She always hangs around me to see if she could possibly get a craker or a carrot. She eats apple cores! Nothing wasted around here, I tell ‘ya!

And of course, lots and lots of love. These animals need to feel that they are loved, above all else, I think.

Have fun with your new pets. Those that are saved from horrible faiths make the best pets. I know, two of my three cats and my dog came to me that way!

Shannsu

19. Jenny says:

My domestic cats refused to eat raw meat, but I used to cut up some wheatgrass into small pieces and mix it with their food. It made their coats very silky.
    My feral cat also eats some cut up wheatgrass in his canned food, but supplements his diet with an occasional bird. (He’s tame for me, but feral for everyone else.)

20. Sandy says:

Aloe Vera!
    Especially for the mothers skin problems, but also to drink!

God luck!!

21. Debraw says:

Try wheatgrass juice inside and outside (on the mother s skin) for healing. Plus coconut
    water.

22. Betsy Mabry says:

Hi Keven & Annemarie-This is the first time I’ve ever ‘posted’ but as an animal lover and someone who has had animal companions all of my 57 years, I wanted to share something I’ve discovered which may aid in addressing the mothers skin health. Miracle II Soap is an incredible product for many things but there’s nothing (I’ve tried the best-of-the- best organic products thru the yrs) better to bathe pets in. It’s a product which cleans, conditions & heals the skin. I use it for everything (bathing, laundry, dishwashing, cleaning) and have experienced nothing better for myself or my valued animal companions skin health.
    Also, Argentyn 23, a medical-grade silver hydrosal is a wonderful anti-fungal, anti-bacterial agent. I recently used it on my 12 yr old dog who has always had dark, rusty spots on his underside that the vet said basically… it is what it is…and there’s nothing one can do. Well…the Argentyn is clearing it right up.
    These are both products that I would never want to be without. I do hope this helps as you nurse them back to health.
    It’s lovely to witness such love and compassion.
    Also, want to tell you how much I’m enjoying your show and information from the Blue Ridge Mts of Virginia. I’m learning a lot from you all. With those like you and Mike Adams, I have a renewed faith and hope in our future.

23. Marianne says:

Mix with purified
    ionized alkaline water” Healthforce’s
    Green Mush. This will nourish as well as
    rid the body of toxins, freeing the body to
    heal itself of any negatives.

Always have them drink ionized alkaline water.
    I have a flyer on an economical model
    EC-550 retails for $925; however, I sell for
    $710 including shipping anywhere!

24. L.K. Greywolf says:

Unconditional Love.

25. MaryKatherine says:

Green Mush from Health Force Nutrionals
    The Ultimate Superfood For Our Precious Pets

26. Pat says:

Please film at eye level. Lecturing while looking down with a lot of finger wagging is psychologicaly diminishing.

27. Jill says:

Green Mush from Health Force Nutritionals. http://www.healthforce.com My kitty was not doing well when I adopted her from AHS, but is the picture of health now that she’s on organic, whole foods with Green Mush sprinkled on top.

Heidi Joy says Thank you Mama and Jameth 😉

28. Mary says:

Hi Guys,
    A good web site that has losts of great info for both pets and people is http://grandadventuresranch.com/
    She looks kind of like what my fiancés looked like. He just started eating less and less. He looked like an Ethiopian dog. He took him to the vet thay gave him an exem and blood work they did not find anything. A week later I think he would have died that night he took him to a difrent vet. Not much on the iniatial exem they kept him over night and did surgery the next day to see what was going on. It was something he had chewed up that punctured his intestine. About a week and $4000.00 later he started eating again. It’s been just over a month you would never know.

29. Kristina says:

The Raw goat milk is a great idea it worked for our husky dingo mix and she is super healthy at 5 years old.

Keep it up we luv ya!

30. Kathie says:

Hi Kevin

Matt is doing a wonderful job taking care the dogs.I give him my deepest best!Anyone who rescues a animal is a very remarkable person.

I believe in rescue and holistic care for animals.

I have been using Holistic Care and acupressure for 12 years and here are couple things that might help .

When using supplements or herbs for my dogs my holistic Vet has explained to me start out slow and use a 1/4 to 1/2 of a human dose.Most supplements and herbs can be used for dogs.

The supplements I use when my dogs are not feeling well-dandelion root ,nettle,dulse,probiotic,digestive enzyme,slippery elm B12.

Or you can put together in equal parts spirulina,nettle,dandelion leaf,alfalfa leaf,powdered flax seed .My dogs love this

I use all organic herbs .

If you are interested in a very good book Greg Tilford has written one Herbs for Pets.It is very informing!
    A web site that is full of informantion on feeding your dog is http://www.dogaware.com Mary has everything on one site.

Raw meat is the best!Raw vegetables are good but hard to digest.You should purify them..

Annmarie petting is the best massage and love they could have.

31. Stacie says:

I would suggest looking into goji juice, xango juice, maybe a minute amount of colloidal silver.

32. Lisa Tomasi says:

I give my puppies raw goats milk mixed with organic dry baby cereal, with a tiny bit of hard Organix Puppy Mix. They love it and it has put weight on them. Also, try Angelas energy soup mixed with a little goats milk and baby cereal. Athough some report avos to be toxic, I have also given the meat of an avo mixed with baby cereal and goats milk, and they love it. God Bless You for taking care of these prescious animals. Oh, and friends gave me raw pet food, but I haven’t had the nerve to unthaw it to work with it yet.

33. Joy A. Tanner says:

Hi Kevin and Annemarie, Nature’s Variety raw organic chicken formula and Amazon herbs are wonderful!! I would suggest calling Kim Chimene at http://www.grandadventuresranch.com. in Arizona….Ph: 18007978274. She helped my cats over the phone. Also, http://www.drmarty.com at Smith Ridge Veterinary Center in Salem, NY. A list of suggested foods for dogs and cats is on his website. He has a doctor named Dr Paul I consulted with over the phone too. His Ph: 19145336066. The best probiotic is a soil-based probiotic that he suggested at http://www.vitalityscience.com called “Pet Flora”.

34. ram says:

Wow, did you get lots of response for your adorable dogs!

It may not have been stressed enough in the few mentions that were posted, but wheatgrass juice internally and applied externally really works miracles. (they’ll drink it straight or in water; there are great stories of “miraculous” healings for similar dogs in Sproutman’s Wheatgrass book, as well as on line). Sick dogs instinctively chew grass. It’s a natural healer for them, and they really love young wheatgrass more than any other grasses.

Also, for skin problems, MSM diluted in water and sprayed on externally can be really healing.

Finally, when you’re looking for inexpensive raw meat, most poultry farms will sell the less desirable cuts (chicken or turkey necks) for very low prices, especially when purchasing a frozen 20 pound box… hope this doesn’t offend the vegans.

Keep up the great info!

35. Megan says:

Thank you for saving 2 more Méxican dogs. I live in México, and there are hundreds of street dogs. In our area we have a spay and neuter group that takes donations, and when a Méxican takes their dog to the vet to be clipped the Spay and Neuter people pay the vet. So the Méxican doesn’t pay and they are being educated on the importance of keeping the animal population down.
    At the present time we have a very little population of stray dogs on our highways and streets, if any.

36. karen says:

omg – they are so cute! raw meats, coconut oil, greens mixed in with the food….keep us posted on the adorable dogs!

37. Emanuela says:

Our dog is almost 12 years old. She behaves like a poppy and is very strong. We feed her raw kale without the stem with one stem of celery cut in pieces to fit in the bowl. We blend in the vitamix one stem of kale with one handfull of raw sunflower seeds plus one stem of celery plus one egg once a week plus water to mix everything. At night she gets one cup of vegetarian dog food called natural balance. This dog food is full of starch and keeps her weight up. Dogs in the wild don’t get to eat animals everyday anyway. Just watch the neighbors because most of the pets are averweight and they can think the dog is malnourished.

38. carine says:

hi Kevin and Annmarie, This will only be an additional response to sooo many u already received… When I came to Costa Rica some 10 years ago I had no experience in raising dogs but I started the raw knowledge path and with some natural medicine background came to the following “alternative, raw dog (and cats…) raising”. For their wounds tea tree and lavender essential oil mixed in a medicinal clay “plaster” (the best clay would be from the brand “argiletz” ). It is also good to use a quart of a little spoon of powdered clay mixed in a raw oatmeal(soaked overnight in cocnutwater, kept in the refridgerator…). Dogs love cocnuts (scraped, blended), avocados and overall raw meat and indeed raw bones. I figured out they have healthy teeth biting on their raw bones. Their fur is shiny and they are very allert and quick. Thanks for your guitar playing and presentation of the “would u rather game”. Keep up the good raw vibes this year. Annmarie loved your smile and the way caressed the pup(s). Would have some song suggestions that might be apealing “coconut woman” by Henry Bellafonte and a french funny piece FREDERICK PATENAUDE will probably know it “mange des tomates mon amour”. And may I refer to the song “Sandy” from the musical “Annie” “cute dog why are you following us . We are gonna feed you… Gelukkig Nieuw Jaar (dutch), Carine from casa Quintessence in Costa Rica

39. Pam says: