How to Use a Neti Pot for the Sniffles – The Renegade Health Show Episode #214

Monday Dec 29 | BY |

I put the neti pot in my top 10 weirdest natural remedies…

That was until I tried it to clear up my head cold. I’ll never knock anything like that again until I actually use it! (Except for self-trepanation 🙂 )

Here’s how to use a neti pot if you happen to get the sniffles this winter…

Your question of the day: Have you tried the neti pot?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave your comment now!

1. Carla Golden says:

Neti pots rock! Sea salt is terrific and you can also use therapeutic grade essential oils of tea tree, eucalyptus or rosemary to really knock out the crud.

Be well, Carla aka OneHealthyGirl.com

2. fred says:

hey kev,

i have used a neti pot and with great success. it definitely works. here is a website I think you should check out:http: //www.vibramfivefingers.com/. it is supposed to help with your running form and strengthen your feet. I recently got some and although at first your feet get soar, i can tell a difference in my stride that i am landing more on the front of my foot instead of pounding on my heel.

3. Diana says:

No Netipots for me, thank you!! If I get a sore throat, I take teaspoonful of raw honey, till its gone….but, since I have been taking MSM crystals 2 tsps twice daily..no allergies, no back pain, no sore throat..greatest natural antioxidant on the planet!! Ain’t nothin’ going up this nose!! 😉

4. David says:

kev,
    i have used a neti for over ten years. never been sick (knock wood), but I think that also has a lot to do with not eating dairy and eating more alkaline. whenever i feel a little ‘off’, the neti ‘shows’ me why … (delete graphic representation of the neti nose flush).

fred,
    if you want to change your running form, you might try ChiRunning. kev did a show on this a while back.

enjoy.

5. Bette says:

I use it all the time.It is so very effective.Any feeling of throat or frontal headache,I rinse out.Then I have to blow and it all goes away.Our sinuses get all kinds of irritants in them and they need washing out too.Its the best…..
    If it burns a bit,I find its because my sinuses are infected but it takes it right away.

6. David says:

kev,
    Looks like a Flip Video ultra? true? … I have been looking for a compact video camera for documenting running events. I had no idea the Flip Video produced such a clear video. Is that what you use for all your video posts?

thanks,
    david.

7. lisa says:

i have a neti pot and have been using it for about 2 years. i love it! im glad to see you using and promoting them. i hope you feel better.
    lisa

8. FoodRenegade says:

I love neti pots. They really do work, and they’re a centuries-old tradition in some parts of the world. Too bad so many Americans are turned off by the idea of them before giving them a fair shake. Seriously, would you rather use this health-promoting, CHEAP preventative tool or buy a steady supply of Big Pharma allergy meds every year?

9. Amanda says:

Hi! My husband has used the neti pot for over 6 years now. The first time my daughter watched him use it she was like, “Wow, you’re making a water fall!” and stuck her hand under the stream of water coming from his nose!

10. Bryan &Wendy says:

Kevin, of all people you should know not to knock it till you try it! I’m just kidding. Your detoxing your not sick! We met Juliano and he said it was a good thing to be sick , because it meant you’re detoxing. Anyway have a happy New Year and looking forward to more in 2009!!!

11. Elaine says:

Kevin,
    Thanks for a great show!! I’ve used the Neti pot but find nasal irrigation with a bulb syringe more effective for me. I’ve been using the technique for 10+ years and am so thankful for having learned it. I totally “cured” a cold in two days by doing nasal irrigation twice a day with sea salt and therapeutic-grade essential oils, and healthy doses of Vitamin C!
    Keep up the great work! May your New Year be happy and prosperous!
    Elaine

12. Katy says:

I love my Neti pot, I hate gargling with salt water but this gizmo works so well, I was amazed. I take a little sniff in as the salt water reaches the top of my nose inside so it really fills up the sinuses and cleans them out. Last cold I did this and took Elderberry, I was Joe Toe in three days everyone else was sick for weeks!

13. Lehi says:

Ok, so I tried the neti pot years ago and I was convinced that my nostrils were not connected in any way because the water did not come out the other side! It felt like I had just snorted a bunch of water up my nose. Ouch! Now, my sister has recently tried it and she says it just takes a really long time for the water to come through. Well, by this time I’m not sure if I even have my neti pot anymore because of the horrible first try. Is there anyone else that overcame this obstacle????

14. Michael says:

I am posting for another reason, but wanted to say ditto to David’s question; I am currently paying off some dept but need a good camera for video blogs. So I am watching for the right model and features carefully. And is there an excellent wired camera that is dirt cheap (because it is wired)? At this point I am starting with a thrift store 8mm (or if I’m lucky I’ll find a MiniDV (sp?)).

I know it’s the holidays and you may or may not get to check comments often, but I have had sinus issues for over 20 years. I am 30 now and when I was born I was raised on carrot juice at first. But Mom had 5 other kids and with everyone around me eating and drinking dairy it was only a matter of time. Now, a few decades later both me and my mother are going raw and have the chance to set a really great example for a lot of people close to us.
    Anyway, this post really does belong here: I have been wanting to use a neti pot for some time. Unlike most people, when I saw one for the first time I instantly knew the possible benefits since I grew up breathing through my mouth most of the time. It is only in recent years that I have begun to reverse my health problems and even though I still eat pretty bad stuff as I work to transition I am starting to be able to get acquainted with literally another sense.

Long-winded already, sorry… The point is that I am kind of weary of using this thing; AND I have 3 important questions. I am concerned that the moisture will not go where it’s supposed to and that I might damage something (it may sound silly what I am saying, but consider that I would be freeing up passages that have been clogged for many years).
    Over ten years ago I had a tonsillectomy and surgery on my adenoids a few years later. I no longer believe in the “unused organ” theory’s and am further concerned with complications from that part of my past. On to the pertinent questions:

1 – Do you, Annmarie, or Angela have any recommendations for, well, rebuilding ones sinuses? I am interested in resources for this; as there really isn’t all that much info on people with chronic problems like mine as I would like. I feel really sad when I go out and see kids wheezing and barely breathing and know that when/if they see a doctor their told it’s either just allergies or asthma and they’re put on drugs.

2 – Is it recommended to inhale through the nose a good bit? Can you inhale quickly?

3 – Are there some recipes for herbal teas or decoctions that you or anyone can recommend for someone with a lot of “cleaning house” to do? Really I am looking for a daily regimen of some kind to use for awhile. Starting the 15th of January I am going 30 days raw and need to know this to prepare.

Thank you Kevin and all who read this and any answers and suggestions are appreciated. As soon as I have some more time I am going to join the inner circle (I think it’s called). I am still listening and going through the free content this site and it’s affiliates offer; I have no connection with any of them and I do not say this lightly. It is amazing how much content is available. I am getting fully on-board because I had joined the Tree of Life email’s (TOL is about 80 miles from me it turns out) so that I would know what’s going on even though I can’t afford to attend there yet. They sent a notice about the Rawkation event and that us how I got introduced to rhTV and other sources.

15. Kathie says:

Hi Kevin

I hope you feel better!

Yes I use the neti pot.I’m so glade I do.It has helped me many years.

Have a Great New Years!

16. Laura says:

I have had a neti pot sitting unused in my “medicine cabinet” for a couple years now. I guess I forgot it was even in there. I’m wondering if using a neti pot is something we should do only when we have a sinus infection, or possibly daily throughout the Winter? I’m also wondering if they keep one from experiencing the de-tox effect that a simple head cold creates? If we keep our sinuses clean regularly, or even just at the onset of a mucous-producing cold, will we ever experience, and hence benefit from, the de-tox (mucous cleansing)?
    Sunshine and Peace,
    Laura Sutton

17. luvinraw says:

I love the netti pot. I try to remember to flush my sinuses with it once a week or so just for prevention. It makes my nose feel so clean and deep breaths just come easily and naturally.

18. I love my Neti pot – thanks for reminding me that I should break it out, and use it on occasion! lol

It does feel great, but only if you make a saline mixture. I’ve heard of some people making the mistake of not using saline, and using plain water…and I’m sure we all have had the accidental plain water in the nose experience; NOT fun! 🙂

I do look forward to using this as a preventative technique for head colds, never tried that!

Happy Saline Neti-Potting! <3

19. luvinraw says:

Should be neti — sorry.

20. Monica says:

I have used the neti pot for many years, and is very good.

Peace.

21. Dede says:

You know, I haven’t heard of the neti pot before and that is so cool! My mom always had the same idea of using salt and warm water to “sniff” up her nose to clean out the nostril sinus cavity ….but I always hated it!
    I am going to find this little nifty neti pot and have it for me to use when I feel the onset of a bad ol sinus bug coming!
    Thanks alot Kevin!

22. Rawmaste says:

Hi Kevin,

I have also used hydrogen peroxide in my ears to knock out a cold. For me, it knocks it out usually within a day or two. I put a few drops of the hydrogen peroxide in each ear for about 2-3 minutes a few times a day. It sizzles and tickles a bit, but it really does the trick.

Your shows are awesome. Thanks for all you do. I appreciate you and Anne Marie. Happy New Year to you both!

(~_~)

23. Sparrow says:

I’ve been doing jala neti for years and swear by it! I can understand why it made your top ten list because I get really weird looks from people any time I dare to mention it, even from people I would have otherwise thought might be into something like neti.

I have a big (double-size – no need to refill before doing the other nostril. Always do neti both ways! Not just one direction!) stainless steel neti pot because if I had a ceramic one I would have long ago since broken it dropping it into the sink like you did at least once during the video, Kevin. I can also travel with my steel pot and feel safe it won’t break in my luggage. I got mine at healthandyoga.com where I also got pre-measured packets of salt (which may be overkill, but it’s sure nice to have a convenient packet when I’ve just woken up, feeling under the weather, and not really ready to think or use fine motor skills yet. LOL)

Before I got my neti, I used to live with a sinus headache, 24/7. If I took enough drugs to knock the headache back enough to be functional, I couldn’t function because of all the drugs. I was a real mess and desperate to try anything (I didn’t know about the benefits of a raw diet yet.)

Not only did my neti pot fix the problem and give me back my life, but I haven’t had a sinus headache in years.

24. Tricia says:

Hey Kevin,

The Neti pot is good, but I now use a product called a “Nasaline” It is a large syringe (without a needle) which is made for cleaning out the sinuses. You just put the saline solution in the syringe and stick it in one nostril and push the solution into your nose, The advantage is that because you are in control of the pressure( not relying on gravity) you can get the solution further in to the sinus cavity. I had a serious bacterial infection in my sinus cavity behind my eye and the Neti couldn’t get in there but the Nasaline did the trick!

All is good,
    Tricia

25. Bernadette says:

This was just like deja vu when I got home tonight, after being out to dinner at some friends. My nose was like a running faucet all evening. My scratchy throat started last night and I don’t even remember when I was sick last.. probably 3 years ago. I attribute it also to being away so much this holiday and not being able to eat the way I am used to.

My friend advised me this morning I should use a neti pot and I didn’t know what they were. Then tonight.. there it was, plain as day on your show. What a co-incidence. I still don’t have one but I improvised by making a saline solution with Himalayan sea salt and trying my best to get it into both nostrils.. then I just breathed in a bit. I’m already noticing a big difference. How timely.. now I can go to bed and breathe through my nose instead of my mouth.

26. Marji says:

Hi ,
    I use a neti pot also. The doctor told me to use distilled water that I have boiled for 10 minutes and add a 1/2 tea salt to a quart of water , then heat as needed,you can keep it in the refrigerator for a week. I think it is important tp boil the water. Especially with the water we have today.
    Marji

27. millie says:

The second i feel a sore throat, stuffy or even a headache i take Island fire and I’m instantly cure. Try it, it really works!

Love you guys,

Mil

28. don says:

I gargle with warm water and apple cider vinegar. I also gargle with warm water and cayenne pepper. It is the only method I have found clears up an upper respiratory infection really fast.

29. Sharon says:

I have used a neti pot but and it has sure cleared out a lot from time to time. I have had trouble though it seems getting excess water out of my sinuses when finished. Any tips?

When I first found out about a jala neti I asked my MD about it – he not only knew about it!!!!! but said it was safe to use on a regular basis as long as you use saline.

30. Mary says:

I have not used a Neti pot. I used XClear from the health food store. It is just a xylitol solution as a nasal spray. It cleared up my huge sinus infection in just a couple of days. You could use the xylitol in the neti pot also. After using the spray, I felt I wanted more to clean it out though, so I may get a pot if there is a next time. There is a video on Youtube of someone using a neti pot. Yuck!

31. Michael says:

Bryan &Wendy: “we met Juliano and he said it was a good thing to be sick , because it meant you’re detoxing”

You are so right. you reminded me of when I tried echinacea for the first time. I had discovered an absolutely incredible and accessible book called 10 Essential Herbs by Lalitha Thomas; and it was the Second Edition containing an extra section (kind of an 11th herb) about it. Then my severe head cold with sinus infection was like an interesting experience of feeling my body heal, instead of the last time I had the same sickness and was absolutely miserable. One has to study then prove these things to themselves. Oh, and Lalitha also wrote 2 other idespensible books; one of them 10 Essential Foods, suggested raw green smoothies with spinach and parsley over a decade ago. She is clearly an important influence spreading the word about raw (don’t remember if the pineapple juice in the recipe was raw though; and I wish that at the time I had made the time to go through that book, but I was busy with other things.

I will add this request in a more appropriate area later, but I really am hoping that kevin will track down Lalitha for a (video hopefully) interview. I am not sure if he, or anyone here, has heard of her or not; but then again I have a lot of reading and listening to do…

As FoodRenegade put it, I would have to keep trying “Big Pharma allergy meds” and infection remedies, or wise up. That book was of paramount importance to my education. By the way, FoodRenegade, your site is also highly accessible and I would love to link to it when I finally get an online presence (though I am going mostly raw and fully off dairy for myself, I did try raw milk from a cow share program and it was amazing. at room temperature it didn’t even stuff my sinuses like ALL other dairy does.

32. Michael says:

Forgot to ask; can you use echinacea tincture in a neti pot? Silly question? Anyone tried it?

33. Pat says:

Hey, Kevin, I’ve been using this technique since ’81. It was part of a 21-day juice fasting program I took in Crown Heights, Brooklyn. I no longer use it with frequency, because my lifelong sinus allergies and colds seemed to disaappear about a year after I went vegetarian back then. I still own the pot…got a plastic on online…much better to avoid dangerous breakage accidents in the bathroom. Here’s a great video instructing comprehensive usage: http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=rsZeILCedRw

I got mine online…2 for 1 coupon helped, although it’s too long ago to remember where.

34. ruth says:

Neti pots are great, they work, its important to guage the right amount of salt for each individual. If there are probs with water coming out, tip the head further, maybe over a bath and just trust the anatomy! grin.
    I have also explored the string too, but that isnt so cool for me!
    in the yogic tradition, people use the neti pot as norm and as regular as we use the toothbrush. keep nettying… xx

35. Ginny says:

I have not used the neti pot, but now I might consider it now. But, I have a cold prevention, or early treatment that works so well that I usually don’t get a cold. It’s a gargle–water, apple cider vinegar and sea salt made just warm enough to feel soothing, but not burn the throat.

The key is to notice a problem coming at a very early stage. I try to catch the infection when it is just a dry spot in the back of my throat. If you wait until your throat is sore it may not completely stop it–but it will shorten it!

Vinegar is antibacterial an antiviral and you are actually attacking and destroying the viral or bacterial encampment in your throat before it gets strong enough to make you really sick. I know, it sounds weird, but I have been using this technique for over 30 years, have taught family and friends–and the bottom line is–it works!!

36. Laura says:

Hi Kevin-
    I’ve never used the neti pot, BUT, when I was a kid (younger than 10) and would get a dry nose, I would go to the bathroom and fill a little dixie cup up with cold water and run it through my nostrils.
    Imagine my surprise when I discovered this practice when I started my research in the natural health field.
    Good video. I think the practice is good for a regular basis for prevention all around anyway.

37. patricia says:

Greetings to all and best wishes for health and happiness in the new year. About the neti pot, I’ve always wanted to try it but have been hesitant because I have a severely deviated septum, does anyone know if I can use the neti pot with this condition? Thanks for any info.

38. larry albritton says:

I’ve seen how it is done on another website, & the way they did it was when they put the neti pot in the nostril their open their mouth & it poured out of their other nostril like an open value, it wasn’t slowly coming out

39. We Neti every day and love it! We wouldn’t miss it – it’s as important as brushing our teeth! Also twice a week we have been using a nasal catheter which has upped the ante on the Neti something fierce! This is a thin rubber tube that gets inserted slowly in nose until it comes out the throat. We highly recommend trying the catheter if you want to clean your sinus and nasal passages.

Love your work Kevin and Anne-Marie. Thank you for shining!

Love and blessings,
    Justy & Mellos
    NZ

40. Mike henderson says:

The neti pot -looks kinda messy to use.
    I have a history of sinus issues but breathing
    in hot steam in through the nose and out the
    mouth works really well for me.
    I also cough up the gunk and spit it into
    tissue or down the loo.
    yeh it’s a bit gross but it gets my head clear!

41. Thora says:

My husband and I have used collial silver in our sinuses. It knocks the virus attack in one dose. I enjoy watching your show! Thanks for sharing with the world.

42. Nadia says:

I tried the neti pot for the first time a few weeks ago when I was feeling a little stuffy. I used only water (no salt) and the pain was EXTREME. I had never felt such sharp pain like that and the pain grew to cover the entire half of my head. I had to stop right away and after about a minute the pain subsided quite a bit but it was so intense and widespread (the whole half of my head and even down my neck) that it scared me. I also experienced the feeling that there was water in my ear (like the feeling you get when you are swimming and water gets stuck in your ear) and it took several days for that to clear up. Can anyone help?? What am I doing wrong?? The neti pot is such an ancient technique that I believe in its wisdom yet I dont know what I am doing wrong? Perhaps the stinging is because I didnt use salt? But why so much pain and what about the water in my ear? Thanks for any advice and Happy New Year to Kevin, Ann Marie and you all.

43. Rhonda says:

Why is it called a “Neti” Pot and where do you find them?

44. Linda B. says:

Thank you for the great info Kevin and for trying something after you thought it was weird – very brave of you. So glad that you are feeling a whole lot better…hi to Annmarie too, hope you both had a great Christmas (loved your Uncles’ ABC joke! I laughed!) Take care both of you

45. Lois Kubota says:

I have been using a neti pot everyday for several years. I use it at night and when I skip it, I can really feel the diffence the next day when I wake up all stuffy.

My medical doctor encouraged me to use it when I told her about it. She believes they are great and helps keep things cleaned out if you use them on a regular basis.

46. Love irrigating my sinuses, but I also prefer the syringe as to the neti pot. I use it at least once a week. Love the way it makes me feel. Isn’t it funny how sometimes the little things in life get us excited! (~_~)
    Peace, Annie, the nutritionist

47. DebB says:

My husband hasn’t tried the NetiPot, but he does use NeilMed’s sinus rinse system.

He used to get one sinus infection after another and since he’s been using this (for about 5 years now), he’s not had 1 sinus infection.

DebB *Ü*

48. Peg Bhatara says:

I love the neti pot. I recommend this to relatives and friends whenever I get the chance. Like you said, don’t knock it until you try it. There is so much out there that can be valuable in your health care and this is definitely one of them.

49. Carole says:

I use my neti pot every morning and it does work on the sinuses. At first salt water went down my throat until my daughter-in-law told me to make a “ka” sound while using it—really works. Sinucleanse neti pot has a site with a video to show those who haven’t yet used one, how to do so. It is http://www.sinucleanse.com

50. Sudhakar says:

Hi Kevin,

I am glad you confessed that you would not knock anything until you have tried it. As
    regards to wether i tried the neti pot? the
    answer is as a yoga therapist i teach how to use it. While the title of your show is “How
    to use a neti pot for sniffles” the description is incomplete. Maybe because of
    lack of time or space you omitted how to get
    rid of water which percolates in the sinus
    area after doing neti. This water doesn’t
    get drained out from the other nostril which
    leads to minor complications and then neti
    gets the bad name. In fact you have to perform
    one more act of bending at your waist forward and breathe out forcefully while you tilt you neck forward, backward and sideways so atleast
    80% water comes out and the balance will come
    out when you sit in Vajrasana (Adamant/Diamond) and bend forward so that your forhead touches the ground and then due to gravitational force the balance 20% water
    gets drained out and only then you can say
    you have executed the NETI POT to perfection.
    Bending forward in vajrasana should be done
    with care specially those who have backache.
    Lastly to answer Michael’s question above, one
    can put recommended tincture to the neti pot
    with advantage. I do use Hydrastis mother
    tincture while performing neti.

With warm wishes and a HAPPY AND A PROSPEROUS
    NEW YEAR to you and Anna Marie and to all your
    readers.

Sudhakar

51. Janielle says:

This is for Michael who wrote on Dec. 29th. He wanted to start “cleaning house” in January. Dr. John Christopher, a well known herbalist, has sinus formulas in the health food stores, that are great for cleaning up stubborn sinus problems. In Sam Biser’s book, “Curing With Cayenne”, there are some great formulas for curing almost anything. He does an interview with a medical herbalist, Dr. Richard Schulze, that explains how cayenne works to give oxygen to cells to help them heal.

52. Lisa says:

Wow. My dr. is an allergy specialist and he strongly recommended the sinus rinse theory to me. I was so adverse to it; who would do something so gross, right? I’m so glad I finally gave in! I had CHRONIC sinus infections. I hadn’t heard of a neti pot until much later; he recommended the “NeilMed” system which is a plasic bottle with cap on top with a hole in it. You mix warm water and salt together and can hold your head straight up and forward over the sink. You don’t have to be a contortionist as with the neti pot. There’s a straw that goes downward into the bottle that draws the saline solution up and you control the force of flow of water with the pressure you apply to the bottle. The pain the earlier blogger mentioned could be something mentioned in the NeilMed – they provide detailed instructions which are very helpful – my guess is that your membranes were very swollen from your cold and the pain was caused by the pressure of the water. Cold water can do that too. They say to stop immediately if there’s any pain.
    I was also told to use Xclear. I didn’t understand what it was. I later discovered that Xylitol is a natural sugar that inhibits the ability of bateria to adhere to teeth and mucus membranes. Since I didn’t want to spend $17 a month on the nasal spray, I started adding 1/4 tsp xylitol to my saline solution for the sinus rinse. Haven’t had a sinus infection since. Happy New Year every one!

53. JoyceF says:

Someone beat me to the punch on mentioning good old fashioned hydrogen peroxide in each ear for a few moments. Most people don’t realize that our own bodies produce hydrogen peroxide to destroy viruses and pathogens so it’s only natural to use it in this way. Why wait 5 days for your body to produce enough peroxide to destroy the cold or flu virus when you can put it right into your body via the ear canal. Make sense? I’m so glad I learned of this. I now use peroxide for many things around the house from spraying it on counter tops to putting some in my toilet brush holder to prevent mold. Same thing with my tooth brush holder. Hope this helps someone.

54. Bob Mc. says:

The neti-pot is the greatest sinus cleanser in the world. My wife introduced it to me recently and I have just finished using it to get rid of a head and chest cold.

Bob Mc.

55. karen says:

used a neti pot for the past four years with great results. also recommended it to several of my clients, some of which got off heavy meds like clairitin.

if you think the neti pot is cool, try dhauti. now that is hardcore and would definitely be a new top ten for you!

56. Bobbie says:

Everyone here has given some great tidbits on how to neti. I really appreciate the expert advice and specific antidotes that make a real difference in the neti experience.
    The neti-pot is good to use. I have had a sinus infection for months now, and I think I’ll give it a whirl. Kind of forgot about it. I can make it into a new tradition. I read that there are many practices yogis would preform with the neti-pot that require stages of advancement. One of the most advanced stages ( this is not for the novice, and do not read if you find regular neti pot usage revolting}
    –they use a technique to monitor their bodily stats by nettying their own urine. This technique helps the brain to make the slightest adjustments to make the body’s functions at peak performance, according to the sensory information contained in the urine.
    Haven’t tried this advanced method, it but it makes sense when you think about it.

57. Brandi says:

I have been using the NetiPot for the last four months and love it! At first, I didn’t like the idea of putting something up my nose but after you get used to the idea, it isn’t that bad – just don’t try to breath or swallow while pouring. Using distilled water and Himalayan or Sea Salt works best in my opinion. You can breath immediately after using. Colds do not seem to last as long and allergies will disapear after regular use. TRY IT!

58. neti neti says:

Wow, I have been using my Neti, and just after reading these posts, leaned forward with my nose to the groud and a lot of trapped saline water came out. Thank you for that great post.

59. Karin says:

When I tried it for the first time, it felt like your nose would feel if you jump into a pool of water and get water up your nose but after that, it was more comfortable once the water started flowing out the other nostril. My 6 year old daughter couldn’t help laughing while mom was showing her what we were going to try to to get her nose unstuffed. Any suggestions getting the neti pot benefits with a childs small nostrils?