The Health Benefits of Coconuts (A Covert Mission in Rosarito) – The Renegade Health Show Episode #206

Wednesday Dec 17 | BY |

In this show we mention the health benefits of coconuts, but the real fun was getting them from the roadside stand…

You can watch Matt and I try to bargain with the stand owner in some pretty broken Spanish. 🙂

The green coconuts they sell are taken off the beach and are just about as wild as they get.

Go ahead and take a look…

Your question of the day: What is your favorite use for green (or thai) coconuts?

Click here scroll down the the bottom of the page and post your comment now!

(BTW: We didn’t have an In The Kitchen Segment today, but will once I get back in CT!)

1. Shawntal says:

Oh my gosh so many ways to eat coconut which I luv! Probably my fav would be to take the coconut water and the meat of a thai coconut and blend it in the blender.

2. Dave says:

Great show! Thanks for showing us around Mexico! I am in Canada, don’t get to use coconuts that much so I can’t really answer…

Please keep up with these superb shows! You are really helping the world one person at a time.

BYW, I really really enjoyed Victoria’s call tonight. You totalling Rawk!

Cheers,

Dave

3. Laura says:

I’ve lived in the tropics of Hawaii, south Florida, and Costa Rica over the past 14 years and so have become very familiar with coconuts. Mostly I just like to drink them whenever I’m thirsty, but I also have a great recipe for seed cheese: Soak sunflower seeds overnight in spring water, rinse well in the morning, put soaked sunnies in the blender with enough fresh coconut water to cover sunnies and then add an inch more coco water, blend well, pour into a large jar not more than 1/2 full (I use wide-mouth canning jars), cover with cheese cloth secured with rubberband, let sit at room temperature all day, and voila! for dinner you have a yummy cheese. The warmer the room temperature the faster it “grows”. ~~~~Can you film some of Mexico’s natural beauty too? Muchas gracias! Adios amigos! Love and Blessings, Laura Sutton

4. Jes says:

I’ve yet to try one of those delicious coconuts, but my son says “making bowls” is his favorite use of a coconut.
    That’s besides eating it, I’m sure. 😉

5. Jennie says:

Mmm… I love young coconuts. In Australia I get young green coconuts delivered that look just like those from http://www.sunrisecoconuts.com.au and they are gorgeous! Nowhere near as sweet. My favourite way to eat them is to blend the coconut water and flesh together and drink it down! I also like to blend the flesh with ice, a vanilla bean and some agave for a lovely sorbet. xx

6. Lisa says:

oooo oooo I wish I could get them ’round here! My mouth is watering at the thought of coconut!! I can get lots of kale though, and I do love that and eat a pile of it every day.

Great to see lovely Angela [and Matt] with you!
    Raw-k on!
    Lisa

7. ruth says:

welp, where I live, we pay about 35 cents US for a pipa, what you call a coconut, and that includes the extra gringo price, the uses are endless, have done a 6 day pipa cleanse, super !

8. Lenette says:

Coconut Kefir!
    After that it would have to be a coconut, durian, spinach smoothie. YUM!!!

9. Bernadette says:

Hi Kevin,

Enjoyed the video and loved the ending.. that was great! My favorite use of coconuts is actually on my skin. Since I’ve been using coconut oil on my face, my skin looks 10 years younger.. people keep asking me what I’ve been doing. Thank you to Angela and Matt for their input over the last few days.

10. karina says:

I love coconut , but i preffer local coconut , instead of the thai (i heard not really good thinks aboout it) , i live in Florida , when is possible i claim the tree, if not i pay 50 cent ea , so usually i get 40 to 50 coconut , that dont last much, as i drink 3 to 6 a day .
    The meat i put over salad ,shreded, and also give to my dog , she loved !
    Some times mix the water w spirulina .
    thanks Kevin , love you show

11. Janet says:

They now make coconut “ice cream” (no dairy, just coconuts) with agave and I think some carageenan (seaweed). It is so yummy you want to eat the entire pint.

I use coconut oil a lot here (versus coconuts since they are harder to come by here) just barely south of the mason dixon line for cooking over easy eggs, and sometimes for a non-raw treat, popcorn. I then pulverize herbs I have dried from my garden in a coffee grinder and add them with some celtic sea salt to the popcorn. So yummy! I have to watch out for this one though as I like it a little too much. Winter is harder for me to be as raw as I am the rest of the year as I like warmer foods during the winter. I figure I can have my warming foods/treats as long as I am also having my raw foods as well.

Of course, if I had access to fresh coconuts you can bet I would have them all the time. I love them.

12. Jodi says:

MMMMM….Last night we tried a blended Kale salad on your suggestion from yesterdays show, and for dessert we had coconut, mango pudding…..delish!

1-coconut
    2-mango
    mix in a Vita-mix until really smooth, add some of the juice if needed.

Maybe you can post the recipe for the kale sald you guys had! I made my own with sundried tomatoes, olive oil, lemon and cayenne. It was great!

Thanks for the great shows!

13. Wendi Dee says:

Loved the end of the video with the scenes of the area you’re in. 🙂

Was that $10 US dollars spent on the coconuts? I was thinking that was a great bargain, especially considering the woman preopened them all for you!

Did you have a coconut, too, Kevin? I bet watching the videos makes Annmarie miss you even more.

Lots of love to you,

Wendi
    XOXOXO

14. Fred says:

I really love a good thai green coconut curry. Yum!

15. Angela says:

I love coconuts!!! I make coconut kefir with the water and then after the water has fermented I use a small amount with the meat, blend it to make a cultured pudding which is awesome. I also make ice cream and desserts with the meat. I use the oil as a facial cleanser.

16. Andrea says:

Wow, it was certainly interesting to see coconuts being sold in Mexico – it seems a bit different from here in Brazil where people sure care about the water (especially when the coconut is not as ripe) and the meat. I loooooove coconut water, but not the meat as much (green or ripe), so usually I drink the coconut and my husband or son have the meat 🙂

17. Andrea says:

P.S. I don’t know if they have those in Mexico, but if you can make sure to try some yellow coconuts – they’re not as tasty, but are supposed to have some extra medicinal properties.

18. Rhonda Ostberg says:

Drinking the water is DELICIOUS of course and the young coconut meat can be cut into noodles to be used in raw Pad Thai with a spicy sauce that tastes like peanut sauce but is made out of almond butter. The recipe is in “The Raw Food Detox Diet” book by Natalia Rose It is YUMMY!!! You three are adorable-Ann Marie would add to the cuteness of course and the only thing that would be even better is if Douglas and I were there too!!! Blessings

19. Ginny says:

My favorite smoothie is the meat and water from a young Thai coconut, kale, pineapple, and macadamia nuts. Sooooooo delicious and satisfying!!

20. Scott says:

I just love a Coconut Shake: Blend Coconut Water w/Coconut Flesh. Yummmmmmm!

21. Sue Maltese says:

My favorite use of the coconut is the sheer enjoyment I had drinking the juice from a straw and walking on the beach in Puerto Rico at the Ann Wigmore Institute. I was hydrating my body and getting vitamin D while sinking my toes into the warm sand. I cannot think of better use of a coconut….

22. del says:

I love to add coconut water and meat to my daily green smoothies. I cut back on the other fruit and its awesome. Greens, berries, superfoods, in coconut water. After I get to the end i add some fresh pure coconut into the jar swish it around and drink the rest. Yummy delicious.

23. Maria-Pia says:

Hi Kevin

I got into coconut water about a year ago when I heard someone talking about it after a hot bikram yoga class saying how it was the best thing to rehydrate your body. I did some research and saw that it is the closest thing on the planet to human blood plasma and that is why they use it for transfusions.
    They also recommend it for hangovers. I wouldn’t know, but I told my friend to drink some coco water when they woke up one morning a bit worse for wear, and they said it was a miracle how quickly they recovered. So help people feel better and spread the word!!
    Personally, I drink it for all the reasons Angela listed.

24. Many celebrities have endorsed it, including Oprah Winfrey and Dr. Mehmet Oz. It has incredible benefits that can help prevent cancer, help you lose weight, and boost the immune system. It works very well to cleanse the colon but also does so much more.

25. Acai says:

Well, I also make ice cream and desserts with the meat. I use the oil as a facial cleanser.

26. Well being a native of the Caribbean I can definitely attest to the natural powers of coconut. From the juice to the pulp to the trash(what the pulp or meat is reduced to after its processed). We’ve used it for years as a natural refreshing drink to using the oil as a healing lotion to squeezing the juice from the pulp and using it in a variety of dishes. And when the entire coconut has been used little kids would take the husk and make dolls from it. A most diverse food source for sure.