Are There Any Good Multivitamins and What Does Yeast Die Off Look Like – The Renegade Health Show Episode #183

Thursday Nov 13, 2008 | BY |

This episode is broadcast from Santa Monica, CA where we stayed for the night last night…

The hotel was pretty raunchy, but Santa Monica is awesome!

We’re going to Matt Amsden’s place today for lunch and then who knows for dinner… there are sooo many options in LA.

More than Danbury! :-)

So, today we answer a few questions about yeast die off, what the best multivitamin is and transitioning to a vegan diet.

Your question of the day: What multivitamin do you like, if any?

Click here, scroll down to the bottom of the page and leave you comment now!

To get Revitaphi, which I mention in this show, please click here!

For Vitamineral green, click here.

1. Bette says:

I am answering about the multivitamin.I recently got on board with a 50 year old company called Shaklee. They have a strip of five to be taken once a day.It encompasses so many facets and areas of health.Its like five different kinds of supplements in one strip.Easy and convenient.
    Contact me if you want more information.Bette @ artgirl4paint@yahoo.com woweeeeeee

2. DebB says:

On the knowledge I received from your Health Show, I stopped taking my multi-vitamin 2 months ago and switched to Jameth Sheridan’s green powder. Plus I do take a B-12 (plus other supplements too). But most of those I don’t intend to refill when they’re gone.

Thank you Kevin & Annmarie for your great shows, I appreciate all that you both do.

God Bless!
    DebB (Debbie) *Ü*

3. Enzo says:

Hey Kevin and Ann Marie, Have you tried “The Vitamin Code” by Jordan Rubin. It’s a relatively new multi vitamin and is the only raw multivitamin that I’m aware of.. It is in whole food format with all the cofactors available.

4. Thomas Lavoie says:

Question: Are There Any Good Multivitamins and What Does Yeast Die Off Look Like?

Answer: Currently there is a super high quality “yeast die off” multi vitamin on the marker, it has reached many large Canadian supermarkets. Only Man by New Chapter, or Only Woman by New Chapter. This multi vitamin is made of yeast, organic vegetables and probiotics. It really kicks ass.

5. Donna says:

I have eaten Shaklee food supplements for years. The difference from other supplements is in the quality of the products, the research, the testing on both the raw products that go into each supplement as well as when it is complete. The efficacy and purity are proven and the research is published in peer review journals. Much of the testing is done by independent labs. The products are based on good science. There is a wealth of good info at the website at http://www.shaklee.net
    I am doing well with my family if I can get some raw food in each meal. In future I may be able to cut back or drop some supplements. I think with our soils so depleted of nutrients, we just can’t get it all from available foods today, even if they are organic.
    I really enjoy your shows,
    Donna

6. Kristina says:

Newchapter is awesome I took it thru two pregnancies and nursing (still on it b/c of that) but I recently heard of The Vitamin Code which is a Raw vitamin by Garden of Life and they have specific herbal blends for men women seniors etc has anyone heard of them? I have thought of trying but for now am sticking with what I know. BTW my naturopaths and midwives were amazed at the quality of newchapter when I told them I preferred my choice over theirs and they now recomend it to their patients. They are spendy so check Super Supplements or get em on sale.

Another idea about saving money on produce is CSA farm shares we have them on the westocoast see if you do there you basically pay one big price for a few months of delivery of organic seasonal fresh produce from local farms it is great for us raw foodies.
    Peace

7. Esoteric Engineer says:

Vegan Vitamin D

There is no need to use vitamin D from animals; the vegan form is called ergocalciferol, more commonly known as Vitamin D2.

D2, as B12, is the product of microbial activity. It is believed to be a less potent form of vitamin D, but it is more than sufficient to meet our nutritional needs. Vegan Health recommends 1000 IU (25 micrograms) per day during times of low sun activity (winter). This equates to one capsule, or pill, per day.

Although sheep are not killed in order to obtain D3 from them, buying animal-sourced D3 does increase the animal farmer’s income and makes what he does overall more economically viable (even possible). Sheep farming, be it for meat or wool (usually both) inevitably leads to suffering and death. But even if it did not, how would you like to be forced against your will to have your hair harvested? Sheep farming also causes great environmental harm as the sheep eat much of the vegetation preventing trees and other plants from growing. Sheep farming areas are pretty barren places where barely anything but grass grows.

Facts on the wool industry:

8. Melinda says:

Hey Kevin!

I was just looking for a D3 supplement that did not come from an animal source. I was in touch with the people over at Progressive vitamins and their Vit. D source is coconut. Do you know anything about this type of vitamin D3? Is it possible to get vitamin D3 this way? How? Could you find out more?

How long were you on an anti-candida regime? Did you do anything other than a change in diet? Supplements?

Love the shows, keep them coming!

Melinda

9. I was informed about this product as being made from all raw ingredients also being vegan .

10. Mark says:

If you’re in Santa Monica, definitely go to Juliano’s too on 6th and Broadway. Check Leaf Cuisine in Culver City as well – not very far from you.

11. del says:

You guys are the two stars not the hotel.

I think multivitamins are never superior to whole foods. Even powdered stuff is no substitue for real greens, fruits, raw nuts, seeds, seaweed and sprouts. Those are the first thing to get. Forget the multivitamins. Having said that I have taken the all the green powered superfoods that you mentioned and they are the top ones on my list as well. Good show.

12. taylor says:

preimere research labs has a good daily vitamin….like Kevin suggests….i would go with the greens powders first with some supplemental vit C from pure snergy and B 12 from Perque…….as a basic beginning…

13. Maria says:

Where is the evidence that our soils are depleted. Who says that you can’t get your vitimans from your foods? I have read you get a very small amount of nutrition from taking supplements.

14. Jan says:

Dear Kevin and Anne Marie,
    Thanks for all the help!
    I continue to learn and benefit
    from all your programs!
    The Rawkathon was awesome and I am still reeling from that!
    I am doing a cleansing for candida and will
    kick my nutrition up another notch after this is at bay.
    I also am brushing my teeth with Dr Bronners
    until I can get Toothsoap!
    I already feel my teeth are cleaner!!!
    Thanks!
    Enjoy Disneyland!
    With Gratitude, Jan in Colorado!

15. I feel significantly stronger using all the superfoods I put into my smoothies than I ever did using vitamins. That said I love New Chapter for their medicinal mushroom formula and my husband likes Liquid Health daily multiple which they sell at our Coop.

16. Lisa says:

My family presently takes the “Superior” vitamins from FoodScience of Vermont (Women’s, Men’s and Kid’s Superior). What initially attracted me to them was the presence of methylcobalamin rather than the more common and less expensive cyanocobalamin form of B-12. FoodScience also makes a sublingual B-12 supplement I like, but I see at Vitacost that Source Naturals makes a similar supplement.

Thanks for your informative show :)

17. Brenda says:

I honestly just try to eat the foods that have the most vitmains and minerals. Like Sesame seed have LOTS of calcium, hazelnuts have TONS of folate (folic acid), bananas have a BUNCH of potassium, etc. I haven’t found a multi that is Raw yet, and the powders are really expencive where I live, so I do what I can with food!

18. Liz says:

Hey Kev & Annmarie!
    I take a vitamin for women by Real Food Organics (Country Life), and my husband takes the one for men by the same company. My kids take a multivitamin by Dr. Sears.
    Weirdly enough, just today, I met someone who was telling me about Juice Plus. I was wondering if you guys knew much about this product. I would greatly appreciate hearing your opinion!
    Thanks!
    ~Liz

19. Irina says:

I use multivitamins intermittently, mostly in winter and spring. I like Megafoods and New Chapter. I used to take Shaklee multi, but I like Megafoods better.

20. earthmother says:

I just started on VitaMineral™ Green from HealthForce Nutritionals. Amazing stuff! I had never even heard of Dr. Jameth Sheridan until … RAWKATHON!! :D

For the man inquiring about organic produce: visit http://www.localharvest.org/ to find the best organic food closest to you. You’ll save tons of $$$ shopping at farmers markets or by joining a CSA.

21. Bob says:

Two “multivitamins” I’m aware of that come highly recommended are:

- Wellness Resources (Byron Richards) “Daily Energy Multiple Vitamin”. This source is recommended by Mike Adams. http://www.wellnessresources.com/products/daily_energy.php?section=ingredients

- The Synergy Company “Vita Synergy”. From the same folks (Mitchell May) who make Pure Synergy. https://www.thesynergycompany.com/pages/vita-synergy.html

22. Jeff says:

Three of the highest quality, whole food multi vitamin/mineral supplements out there are: New Chapter “Every Man/Woman”, Daily Foods/Mega Foods “Alpha”, and Synergy Company’s “Vita Synergy”. These are the best in the world.

The BEST way to get all your nutrients, however is to use Vitamineral Green, Vitamineral Earth, and Fruits of the Earth by Healthforce, along with wild harvested Spirulina, together regularly in smoothies or water. I believe most people need to take a separate highly absorbable Magnesium, Vitamin D, Calcium, Potassium, Boron, Vitamin C supplement alongside the Healthforce products, but only for amazing optimal health!

23. Markji says:

I no longer take a multivitamin… I truly believe that if you are eating a well balanced Raw Living Foods diet then everything will be provided in surplus! I used to take supplements by the hand-full, and spent thousands of dollars doing so… no more! I’d rather spend my money on good healthy food… which does include some of the superfoods… and I am feeling so much better!
    Back in the day, I took New Chapter whole food multi… that would be my recommendation to anyone who feels they need to supplement!

Peace!

24. Pete says:

Personally I have been using Vitamist (used to be Karemore), as the spray vitamins have a much better absorption rate of approx. 95% compared with tablets which have an absorption rate of about 5%, therefore more cost effective to have spray vits. Also easy to give to my kids, as swollowing tabs is no accepted well by kids, I remember well…

25. maya says:

do you guys know the INTRAMAX? its a all raw multi-vitamin and rocks… really works for me.

26. Barbara says:

I take the Shaklee Multivitamin for person’s over 50. Kevin if you have a comment about that partiuclar vitamin I have an open mind.
    Barbara

27. Lilla says:

I like New Chapter Womens One Daily. AND I have an insider exclusive:

New Chapter is the supplier for the “Vitamin Shoppe Organics” private label. So I get the IDENTICAL multi cultivated from whole natural foods manufactured by NC, but sold under the VS Organics label for less (unless NC happens to be on sale at the same time.)

28. Lynn says:

At my Savemart store I picked up a complimentary magazine called Healthy Living. (Vol 12, number 9) In it was an article on a raw mulitvitamin by Jordan Rubin called Vitamin Code. Paul Nison is quoted here as saying “I got excited when Jordan explained to me the whoe technology behind the Vitamin Code. I’m definitely looking forward to telling the world about these powerful products becasue not only are they the only raw vitamins and minerals I know of, but I also believe them to be of the highest quality. It’s just taking what’s out there now to the next level.” Paul Nison is the author of The Raw Life: Becoming Natural in an Unnatural World.
    I presently take Jproan Rubin’s multivitamin called Garden Of Life. It says it is a whole food vita. One “dose” is 6 tablets, I only take 3. I eat whole foods, vegetarian, much of which is raw, but just want to supplement a bit to be sure I am getting all my nutrients, but don’t feel I need to take a vita for 100% of all my vita and minerals. (Plus by taking only 3 instead of 6 tablets it is half the price that way too!!) I plan on trying his new Vitamin Code mutli. once my Garden of Life vita are gone.

29. FrankieClaire says:

I take a vitamin and supplement pack each day from Ortho Molecular Products.

30. Deborah Gordon says:

Hi, I do not take a mutlivitamin but I heard that INNATE brand mutli vitamin is a great one. It is made from whole food sources only. I buy other innate brand supplements like calcium and vitamin D, vitamin B -12 and prostate formula (for my husband, of course).

Debbie

31. Rindy says:

Without any doubts, this is THE BEST. It’s called THRIVE! And it is RAW & VEGAN.

I have been using this for quite a while now.

You can get it here:
    Or even on eBay.

32. John says:

I just started taking Garden of Life’s Vitamin Code and it has 100 mcg of B12, 1000 IU of D, and it also a raw fruit and veggie blend, raw enzyme and probiotic blend, raw trace minerals, raw antioxidant complex, and raw carotenoid blend. It has a nice potent smell like a good one should have too. I decided to try this one because it was on sale at the local co-op. I have used some other Garden of Life products in the past also and liked them.

33. Almamater says:

I give my teenagers Living Multi by Garden of Life. It is “whole food nutrition from living nutrients”. They hav a new product that is a raw vitamin, but I haven’t used it.

To the guy who wants to go vegan: Go for it! There’s so much good stuff out there to pick from, even if you’re not much into food preparation. Even if you don’t go vegan, you can still supplement with alfalfa powder, chlorella, spirulina, hemp protein powder all available at Vitacost for great prices. Also, mesquite powder, cacao, chia seeds from Good Cause Wellness. Also, shop around for a good price on camu powder and some acai juice by Tahitian Trader. Your energy level will go through the roof when you start eating healthy!

Also, you don’t even have to make a big deal about being vegan around people. Most people can’t see past the nose on their face and won’t even notice if you eat vegan at a restaurant or eat just the vegan/vegetarian food at a home dinner. Don’t feel like you have to take a stand or defend your choice! People never change until they personally come to the knowledge of the truth anyway.

34. Karen Jackson says:

I take Ola Loa vitamins a few times a week. Mike Adams said they have a high quality B12. They’re also granulated so there is no pill or capsule for your body to digest.

35. Brigitte says:

Ditto on the Byron Richards daily multi and the Ola Loa powder. They both assimilate well into the body!

36. Lori says:

Hi Kevin,

This has nothing to do with todays show but I need to ask you a question about the Tooth Soap. I did buy some and I love it! I read her booklet and thought she had some pretty convincing arguments with eating cheese and drinking raw milk. Could you give me your opinion on these things and the health benefits if any.

Thanks, Love your show you guys are awesome!

37. Kevin,
    May I have permission to add your program to my website. I am attempting to help people who are my patients to have good practical help with their challenges to going raw.

I like the All One Powdered supplements.

38. Jeanne SDR says:

I think whole foods are the best way to get your vitamins too.

For the blogger fighting serious illness and thinking he should wait to go vegan, “The China Study” could help him get perspective on that, as well as the medical studies to back up the choice. Because we all know there will be nay-sayers who will come down hard on a choice to ‘clean-up’ your health-actually your sickness.

Maybe a good question of the day would be,”What do you think would be a good ‘question of the day’?” Then you could make a list and not tax your brains so much…

Enjoy the sunshine in California, you’ll be home to the cold and gray soon enough!

Jeanne SDR

39. Laura says:

I don’t take any supplements because I believe in whole foods.

40. Heidi says:

The best multivitamin is organic produce put through a juicer, including greens. If you want to rev it up, add green powder of some kind, like spirulina or chlorella.

If you put in a variety of different veggies and fruits throughout the week, you’ll have what I think is the most comprehensive, clean, and delicious health supplement available.

In my opinion, when I take a pill, I don’t really know that what’s on the bottle is what’s inside – I just have to trust. And trust in people who sell pills is not my strong suit. :)

Check out David Rainoshek’s website – he has lots of good information, recipes, and resources to get you started.

41. marlene says:

Wow! Lots of comments on multivitamins. I never used to take them until I discovered I had a thyroid condition and with Kevin’s suggestion went to Dr. Mark Hyman’s website who by the way is extremely informative! I felt a multivitamin would really help along with organic whole foods, and green supplements like Spirulina, and Boku Superfood (comparable to Vitamineral Green but better tasting). I take Byron Richards multivitamin which I feel really helps! What I haven’t done and am in the process of doing is to see a ND so I can really know what I really need in supplementing.

42. Walt says:

I also take Ola Loa recommended by Mike Adams. Here is a great interview that Mike had with the owner of Ola Loa: http://www.naturalnews.com/022988.html

43. Bette says:

I mentioned Shaklee multivitamin.I just got on board as a distributor which is the only way to purchase them.they are amazing.And the company.They are a company with the lowest carbon footprint I have seen…almost zero.And the raw ingredients they search and research and use in their products are utmost quality.Please email me and I can get you started as well as possibly signing on with a truly holistic company with integrity for 50 years!!!!!
    I just got a “Get Clean” kit for my whole house.OH MY!!!! They are the most superior products I have seen for cleaning and waste in the packaging as well.And the bottles are sooo pretty.

44. Sharon says:

I use a probiotic superfood that is both raw and vegan. It contains 13 good bacteria and very quickly crowds out any excess candida. Bacteria contribute to absorption and immunity. There are also the full spectrum of needed amino acids in it. Certified organic: http://www.goodskinforlife.com under health products.

Also, I use NCD which removes heavy metals. Doing that will allow for more absorption of nutrients, will increase alkalinity, and mineral levels will go up without added supplementation. http://www.detoxqueen.com

I also use alkaline water that’s mineral-rich.

Himalaya salt that contains minerals and is energy-rich and not horribly salty tasting is also good for additional minerals.

Isolated vitamins make no sense. Vitamins are meant to be consumed along with the thousands of phytonutrients in the food which make it work synergistically.

45. Brian says:

I occasionally take Vega meal replacement drink. Unlike most commercial multivitamin supplements, “Vega” also contain hemp protein, yellow pea protein, brown rice protein, chlorella, probiotics(non-dairy), mixed berry complex, maca, inulin, and digestive enzymes.

46. Connie Crew says:

I’ve used Jameth Sheridan’s VitaMineral Green for years along with Acerola Cherry powder for extra Vitamin C and like them both very much. I have a real feeling of well being that I miss when I don’t take it. I love the show, Kevin, thanks for your commitment to it even while on the road! Can’t wait to hear how the Best Weekend Ever was. Peace.

47. Wanda says:

Four years ago I learned about a whole food concentrate called Juice Plus, tried it and became a distributor because I was already telling everyone. That started my health journey. Today I am 60 yr. and eat 80% raw, mostly vegetarian. And don’t participate in the sickness industry, check out my website. Everyone should make up their own mind on their health priority. http://www.wandamcclure.com

48. Wanda says:

A product I like is whole food concentrate in capsules, Juice Plus

49. Mary Kenny says:

As far as multivitamins I really like New Chapter I had taken them for about a year I recently changed to Lifestar http://www.lifestar.com
    sorry New Chapter I love you but I ewas laid off the other is wholefood really good and more econimical. Another great health website I like is http://www.jonbarron.org. I love to watch your show everyday! THANKS

50. Lola says:

Regarding a multivitamin…..
    I have taken multi vitamins off and on for years, but never noticed a difference in my health ….UNTIL I tried Jordan Rubin’s “Garden of Life” multi. He has a general one, one for women, and one for men. I noticed a difference in THREE different specific areas of my health.
    These are “whole food vitamins”. They are NOT inexpensive, but they really do work.

51. Ken says:

Wellnessresources.com has a high quality multi-vitamin. So does drinkyourvitamins.com

52. Jani says:

I’m with several others who posted about New Chapter Every Woman! I notice a definite difference in my health and level of energy when I take it. New Chapter’s obvious dedication to quality and whole foods gives me confidence in the company, too. I work for Swanson Health Products (www.swansonvitamins.com), and they offer the best price on New Chapter and Garden of Life of any vitamin discounters that I’ve found anywhere. A bottle of 90 tabs of “Every Woman One Daily” (NWC063)is $35.97, which is almost $24 dollars less than retail!

53. Bill says:

Love your shirt kevin, I have one exactly the same :-) You guys ROCK!!!

54. Nina Rao says:

Hi Kevin and Ann Marie,

I’m sorry to hear about your ordeal in CA. That must have been pretty scary. I just want ya’ll to know that I’m glad ya’ll are alright and safe and that I appreciate ya’ll do for us. I’m glad ya’ll are still here too.

Love,

Nina

55. Mami says:

Kevin: I take supplements researched and manufactured by Reliv International, based in St. Louis , MO. I am a distributor. The company conducts QCs several times throughout the manufacturing process to make sure what it says on the label is what it contains in a can. The products are powder-based mixed with your choice of liquid for optimal absorption. Several of our products are patented for formulation. Our products nourish our body with optimal nutrition to strengthen our immune system. I have noticed that I no longer have to deal with allergy and back stiffness. You mentioned about a person with cancer. I believe that our product could help your friend through this hard time. Many people have had positive results with their health while consuming the Reliv products and battling medical conditions. If he is interested in learning more, please let him know.
    I also want to let you know that we just announced a revolutionary product, called GlucAffect for blood sugar management and weight control. GlucAffect was found to lower blood fasting glucose by an average of 30% and 16 pounds in a weight in 8 week clinical study. Our products bridge a gap between what we eat and what our body needs.

56. Sharon says:

I use Double X from Nutrilite. They use whole foods grown organically on their own farms around the world and process the foods within hours of being harvested. I’ve had a lot of stomach upset with others but not with the Double X.

57. John says:

I’ve heard of a lot of people call this ‘candida’ in the stool, when in my experience of seeing it, and testing it directly by using the Genova stool tests (which ALWAYS turned up negative for mycology – having sent in a total of 10 tests) that these ‘cotton balls’ are more likely to be mucous and perhaps caused by allergic irritation in colon. The colon is capable of producing mucous, just as any other mucous membrane. Hence, the difference between mucosa and the buildup of mucous that can form above and potentially cause what they call mucoid plaque.

I think allergies can be a major player in these types of chronic situations and what is called candida is way over-blown and a very generic term to pin down a set of symptoms.

Also, yeast in blood and yeast in colon are two very different things, although they can inter-mingle and may very well be the cause or possibly just a side-effect of what I outlined above. This is why the self-proclaimed ‘candida’ sufferer has such a variety of subject matter profiles.

Just my $.02, based upon my own experience.

58. Jeff says:

Usana Health Sciences!!!
    Pharmaceutical grade nutritional supplements
    Rated 96.1 out of 100
    Centrum rated 3.2 out of 100
    -According to Comparative Guide to Nutrional Supplements 3rd Edition

59. Isabella Frost says:

I am new to “veganism”. I sought out a nutritionist and purchased lots of supplements based on his diagnosis. I don’t half take them because they taste bad; because there are so many (13 a day) and because upon further investigation I discovered they are bovine based. I don’t want them although I told him I did not eat meat nor dairy. I want something from which I can actually feel its impact as I usually have a tired feeling most of the time with stiffness in the neck and shoulders. This is not something I have always had, only recently. And I have began to gain weight even though there is no change in my eating habits or activity levels. I at first chocked it up to getting older, but it could be nutritional. Any thoughts and any suggestions on the best raw, organic, veggie-fruit capsules that nourish at the cellular level and boosts the immune system and provides energy naturally?

60. Nannette says:

Kevin,
    On your video you mentioned Vitamin D from sheep or lanolin? Do they come in capsules where can I buy them? How many would you take a day and can you take them everyday for always? Have you tried them for a good source of Vitamin D. I really need it for the Vit D because my dentist said I have receding gums and will probably lose my teeth.
    Thanks

61. usana says:

overally Usana is a good vitamin.

62. Wayne says:

Happy to share the truth on the ‘WholeFood Vitamins.
    All the following vitamins are not 100% whole food
    I know how they are made.

Mannatech’s Phytomatrix, Daily Foods by Mega Foods, Synergy’s “Vita Synergy” The Vitamin Code by Garden of Life (GOL) are all made the same way and are again not a 100% wholefood.
    They feed synthetics into a yeast that grow into it within 48 hours. But that is not 100% wholefood.

New Chapter is in the second level because it just mixes synthetics to ferment with probiotics and enzymes and the synthetics are not grown into the yeast.
    As did the old Garden of Life vitamins. Shaklee, Nutrilite (Amway)Usana… none are 100% wholefoods! Not recommended at all.
    However the Mannatech, GOL, they do have higher utilization than regular vitamins.

My advice, is stick with 100% Green Powder mixes.
    The best of the lot is Boku Superfood.

Cheers!

63. USANA says:

i specifically use the usana essentials…when i feel like i need a boost i use the usana health pak its a variety pack for AM and PM. There the best for me! :)